• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy AP: Awakening

Characters
Here

ChoShadow

That One Fear In My Enemy's Eyes
((This RP is private between myself and a select group of friends who migrated from another website. Please do not ask to join. Thank you!))​

The Journey thus far....
After rescuing a group of villagers from thr clutches of a group of unlucky bounty hunters, the assassin Kyero, and the Saharan adventurer Lonán Arzura continued on their journey to rescue Triveilan Heir apparent, Josephine Dezantro from certain death. Whilst their companions Linde and Aetrius keep the ringleader of the conspiracy captive so that they could present his crimes. Kyero and Lonán thus continued their haste towards Fort Moraello.

And so the Tale Continues...
It had been several days since Lonán and Kyero dealt with the bounty hunters. Now, with the Saharan riding his trusted horse, Hawk, the two were about two to three hours away from their real destination. Fort Moraello was almost within their reach at last. The red haired Saharan looked at the fort with small contempt.

Here was where Josephine, a woman he had grown to respect and admire, was to be taken and executed on a trumped up charge. Not if he or Kyero had anything to say about it, that is. Petting his horse behind the ears to calm his nerves, Lonán looked around for the Assassin.

"Kyero. We're here at last. Fort Moraello. I hope we got a plan set in motion for Miss Dezantro's rescue." He said to his friend, hoping for an answer so that they could hurry back to their friends in time before the coronation. So much to do, indeed. The Swordsman feared that they had little time...

57c3fa4281426c582cbee09adaf3c889.png

“Let’s get going girl, shall we?” the Veilbrandian man patted his horse as he cut a piece of apple with his dagger and fed the horse. They had stopped next to a small creek for horse to drink and rest. He had stolen the horse from a guard who had been distracted with his bathroom break on the road side. It had been a risky move, but luckily for Zagaroth the horse hadn’t thrown him off her back or the guard shot him. He had needed a horse, and needed it fast to catch up with a person he was looking for. He had been on the road for few days, only stopping when the horse needed rest. Thus Zagaroth jumped back on the horseback and continued his way to Triveila.

During his travels he had had a lot of time to think about the task in hand. It sounded simple enough: to find the courier from Veilbrand and steal a letter they were carrying. But as nothing in his life, this task wasn’t easy either. The courier was one of four send by the Dictator Erguus to other nations, and was aware of possibility of being a target. Zagaroth expected them to use a cover, and his sources had told them to be disguised as a common merchant. However he had decided to keep his eyes and ears open for anything suspicious, merchant or not. Especially his ears as the Veilbrandian accent would be a hint towards finding the King’s courier.

Fort Moraello.

A solitary, fortified building roughly four stories high and nearly a perfect 200 meter by 200 meter square, stood before them on the horizon. Even on foot, they would see the gates up close in less than twenty minutes.

Contrary to the rush that Lonan felt they were in, Kyero stood calmly observing the fort's exterior from one side to the other with a critical eye. The red coloration flashed for the briefest instant as he spied a crack in the wall towards the West face, but he kept scanning. Finally, he seemed to stop his almost robotic analysis and glanced to Lonan.

"In a few hours the sun will set. When it does, we walk the main road towards the western face. Not only is it closest to the fort, but the sun will be in the eyes of anyone on lookout. If we don't see any obvious weakness in the West wall, we make for those trees just north of the fort and wait for nightfall."

There was a small, isolated, almost seemingly man-made circle of trees just North of the fort. Barely a two minute walk from the structure. At worst, they would hide out there until the sun was all the way down and they could move through the night more safely than during the fading hours of the day.

"Here. You'll be needing this."

Kyero removed his black jacket and tossed it to Lonan.

"Your shirt is too light in color and will reflect whatever light of the moon shines upon us. My jacket will help break your silhouette."

Kyero's shirt was black, so he would be fine without the jacket.

Lonán caught the jacket and pulled it on, nodding in understanding. “Understood. The Western side. If not that then the Northern end.” he affirmed. He then observed the area, until a very honest thought crossed his mind. “Wait, where should I leave Hawk, at that circle of trees?” Indeed, Hawk, despite the fact Lonán could guide the stallion quietly, would stick out like a sore thumb, or if he accelerated, would give away their position by hoofbeats alone.

However, it’d be a detail to figure out later closer to sunset. For now, Lonán would have to focus on the current plan at hand. As long as he kept a lid on his emotions, his rage most of all, there was hope that they’d be able to infiltrate and get Josephine out of this terrifying place. He had to do what his clan’s founding ancestral leader, Kalandros, had done. Control and contain it until an opportune moment.

But that was a Clan Legend, and this is reality. With the former, it seemed so easy to do. Especially when weaving the tale. With the latter, however, ‘twas easier said then done. It left Lonán to wonder whether his Ancestor and he were similar in some way in reality. “Never you mind Lonán. We need to focus on the task at hand.” He thought to himself. “Plenty of time to think later.”

The passage of time is a cruel mistress. Particularly to those in distress. But to those without stake in the world, the passage of time was simply a waiting game.

And wait, Kyero did.

Crouched atop the hill with the anxiety/rage machine known as Lonan nearby, Kyero remained still as stone since their arrival. Despite the breeze, not a single strand of hair on his head waved in response to its gentle caress. Not a muscle fiber within his body so much as twitched. Even his chest seemed still, devoid of life. It was almost as if he was a realistic still-life carving rather than a living being. Had it not been for the subtle undulation of light within his eyes, it would be hard to tell he was anything more than still art.

Finally, the sun slumped three quarters of the way down the horizon, heralding the darkening of the skies above without a moon to give it further illumination. Kyero's body suddenly came to life as he slowly shifted his weight on the balls of his feet to look at Lonan.

"Let's go." He said in a low voice.

Shifting rapidly, he began to slide down the hill using the now gathering evening dew on the grass to assist in his slide. Carefully navigating the slope, he landed down below another small hill to avoid the gaze of any potential archers or scouts atop the fortress walls and looked back to wait for Lonan. When he arrived, Kyero led him carefully around and through the sloping and undulating hills until they reached the Western face of the fortress. The crack he'd spied before was slightly too small for a fully grown adult man to crawl through.

"Stand back."

He removed one of the Twin Orichalcum daggers from behind his back and slowly slid it into the cracks of the stone. Slowly, and with great effort, he managed to leverage a hole large enough for the two of them to crawl through and into the interior walls of the fortress. Within the stone walls it was cramped, and moving would be highly restricted. But once they found a vent, they could push through and escape the interior of the walls to make it into the fortress proper. And from there, finding Josephine would be a simple task... At least as far as Kyero was concerned.

"You first." He said, giving Lonan a jerk of his head towards the hole.

A tiny, tantalizing sliver of daylight approximately three stories above them was their only guide. The space they had to maneuver barely measured two feet in total, just slightly larger than Lonan's shoulder width. Moving through the support beams and struts would take time and be rather clumsy given the awkward angles they'd need to contort themselves into in order to climb effectively. But so long as Lonan's stamina held up during the climb, rescuing Josephine would be a relatively simple matter once they got inside the fortress proper.

---------------------------------------------- Meanwhile ----------------------------------------------​

Linde sat quietly in the corner of the room watching Niils. His status as their prisoner would remain so for as long as necessary, and they always needed a pair of eyes on him. Right now, it was Linde's shift. She sat cross-legged, arms crossed in front of her chest, and a blank stare aimed right between his eyes.

"You seem tired, doctor. Why not rest a while?"

"Why don't you?"

"I'm the one strapped to this chair twenty-four seven... I've rested plenty."

"Have you?"

"Indeed. I think it's your turn."

Linde smiled.

"I have more than enough sedatives to help you fall asleep, sir. Shall I administer you a dose?"

"That won't be necessary. Perhaps you could make yourself some tea sprinkled with the stuff instead? You truly do look tired."

"Tea sounds lovely, actually."

She stood and walked over to the fireplace, filling a teapot with water and setting it above the fire before returning to her seat.

"It will be ready soon... Perhaps I should fix myself a meal as well."

"Go ahead, doctor. I'm not going anywhere."

"That's true... And it shall remain so." She said with a slight growl.

Immediately she stood up and approached, walking behind his chair. Sure enough, he'd been using his fingernails to try and slice through the bindings little by little during the time he'd been sitting here. She had to admire his patience, if nothing else. But that ended now.

With almost feral ferocity Linde snapped all of his fingers one by one earning a scream for each of them, particularly those without any skin. Once all ten were bent the wrong way and pointed away from the bindings, Linde fetched a new set and retied his wrists behind the chair before throwing the old bindings away.

"Perhaps it's not very doctor-like of me, but the Demon taught me a thing or two about reading the tells of a prisoner whose confidence has grown a little too much for their own good... You should have simply remained silent, Niils." She said with a sly, almost vicious smile.

Niils growled under his breath, breathing heavily as he fought to control the pain in his throbbing hands.

Last edited:
Time had slowly passed by as Aetrius and Linde had made their way back to the inn after their small sparring bout, which ended with Aetrius injuring her leg due to a blow to the upper part of her leg by Linde. After they had made the long treck back from the small open field, they had walked back into their room, setting Aetrius down as the muscles in her leg had entirely seized up and caused constant cramping and tension, having made any movement let alone walking an immense pain. Kieran had offered to help look after her as Linde said it was her turn to look after the pathetic rat of a man named Niils, who had been their prisoner for the past day now. He was currently tied to a chair in the room that was down the hall, to the opposite side of the inn from where Aetrius' room was.

Silence. Silence was all that filled the air as the two sisters silently looked at each other since the last conversation they had was a large and loud argument that had ended up with them both storming off and leaving each other alone. Aetrius sat as she had just returned from taking a long hot bath to help with the leg injury, and had hobbled back in, dressed in casual wear and some light, brown dyed leather armor which covered her forearms, abdomen, and chest. Silence filled the air once more as they each tried of thinking what to say, anything would help at this point.

Kieran's dark emerald eyes darted around the room as she fiddled with her fingers that were laced across one another as her hands were folded in her lap. A small sigh escaped her lips as she looked at her younger sister, feeling a bit of guilt drop in as she began to speak, her voice was soft and genuine as she looked at her, "Aetrius...I...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said the hurtful things that I said the other night. I was just angry, drunk, and frankly, rather jealous of the life you've had recently. You've been free, and you've had friends..I know it wasn't easy trying to find me, but..All I can say is thank you. Thank you for not giving up on me at any point." the young woman stated as she looked up, her eyes now full of hot tears as she hadn't really thought of what her sister had really been through up until this point.

Aetrius remained silent all the while Kieran had talked, listening to every word she said. Eventually, she slowly looked up at the older sister, her golden eyes reflecting the afternoon sun as they had been sitting beside the window. Her eyes too were filled of tears as she nodded, wrapping her arms around Kieran's shoulders, holding tightly. Slowly and with a gentle rasp in her voice Aetrius spoke as they both let go of the embrace, "You always did get rather angry when you got drunk, and so do I. We both said things we didn't mean. We're part of the Borral family, we're thick-headed, bull-headed even, and we say and do things we regret." she said with a slight smile as they both wiped their tears away, small smiles and chuckled escaped their lips as they realized how overdramatic they had been acting. They gave each other a kind nod and smile as they both stood up, Kieran gently helping Aetrius to her feet as she struggled to get a proper footing for a moment as she felt her leg muscle tighten up for a moment, but then relax as she took a deep breath, calming herself down as the pain shot through her body.

"I-I'm good, Kie. I think I'm just gonna go and see how Linde is fairing...You should probably go and get more information and intel from the people around here. Gather whatever you can and see how they see things and what their opinions are. Alright?" she questioned as Kieran nodded, gently squeezing her shoulder as she began to walk down the hall, as a scream echoed from down the hall where Linde and Niils were. Both of their faces turned paper white at first as it happened suddenly, but realizing it was from a male had caused them to calm a bit down as it was obvious it was from Niils. Kieran nodded and continued down the hallway and down the stairs as she left for any information she could gather, as Aetrius turned back down the hallways and headed to where the scream came from, gently knocking on the door as she leaned against it for support as more pain surged through her leg, causing a small throbbing sensation to echo through her leg as she waited patiently for the door to open and that she'd be let inside.

Linde heard the knock and approached the door, allowing Aetri to come inside.

And Linde, wiping her chin from a bead of sweat produced by the warm temperature of the room without any kind of ventilation except the open window, let out a heavy sigh.

"He's all yours, love... I think I need to get some rest." She said quietly with a smile.

-----------------------------

Meanwhile...

A merchant caravan moving towards Her'Thall, capital city of Triveila. Along the open winding paths of the rolling hills, the line was twelve carts strong. At the front, a simple wood tradesman whose cart was full of lumber and pre-cut boards. Behind him, three tailors seeking to sell new clothing items. Behind them two hunting wagons filled with preserved meats and gathered herbs. Behind them, a line of three various jewlers from differing nations (identified by their clothing styles and banners. Next were two weapons dealers, who would have to be careful given Triveila's weapon's policy inside its borders. And last was a humble monk bringing the Sacred Word of the Goddess Lemnia from Gweynura.

Not at all an atypical gathering of merchants on the road, though a prime target for bandits presuming the weapons dealers had no skills with the weapons they carried. But here in Triveila where bandits were minimal in number, so the risk was also minimal.

With Her'Thall in sight, and only about a half hour's walk away, the merchants all breathed sighs of collected relief that their destination was within reach.

Last edited:
At Kyero’s signal, Lonán immediately began to follow him as quickly and quietly as possible. As he ran, he began to recall how his grandmother taught him how to run efficiently and silently like that of a Lion, hunting in Saharan’s plain. He remembered her golden rule of it. Don’t make a sound, and make sure you’re downwind.

He wasn’t sure of the latter, with how close they were to Josephine’s Location, it took Lonán all he could not to not flip his lid and make a sound then and there. When they reached the crack in the western wall Kyero created a hole big enough for them to start crawling into the fortress via inside the walls.

When he was told to go first, he began to make his way into the hole. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” He thought when he first gazed at how small the area was. He managed to squeeze in fine, but climbing up will be interesting. “Right, better get started then, Eh?” Lonán whispered to himself, as he began the arduous climb up the walls, from within the walls. Thank Heresta he wasn’t claustrophobic. But hopefully they’d find a spot to enter Moraello Fort proper and get Lady Dezantro’s rescue well and underway. Once they found her, it’ll be interesting to know how Kyero intends to have them escape, that’s for certain.

ZAGAROTH DANYELL

Zagaroth had ride along the roads further and further, crossing the border to Triveila, heading to it’s capital city. The days and nights had melted into one continuous line as he continued his journey. With every passing day he had grown more and more worried not being able to find Veilbrandian merchant before they reached their destination.

It wasn’t far from the city when he finally saw a caravan. He slowed down his steed gathering all the information he could from the distance, what they sold, if they’d be a threat, where they possibly were from. Zagaroth slowly formed a plan of action in his mind. Unless his information sources were completely wrong the tailors with their flashy fabrics and the jewelers with their expensive wares were not to suspect. ‘The messenger wouldn’t want to draw attention to themselves’ he had been told. But just in case, he reminded himself not to let it sway him too much. His eyes settled on the monk for bit longer, wouldn’t that be the perfect cover. A holy man, with almost nothing to carry with him.

Luckily it was dusk so he’d stay in somewhat covered. Still just to make sure he lifted the scarf to cover his face more and rode next to the caravan, near the hunters. As he passed the other wagons he kept an eye on for anything suspicious, and anything too normal: a backpack to hide a gift it or any wares that were certainly Veilbrandian craft. “Excuse me friends. My journey has been long, and I used my portions already, would any of you have food to sell?” He spoke politely, as a sign of not meaning any harm. Luckily he had few extra coins in his pocket. Food from hunters, ask to see weapons from the sellers, have a chat with the Monk. Zagaroth was far from religious but to find out if he had Veilbrandian accent, he would for the moment to believe in anything.

One of the hunters eyes him carefully, “Preserved meat costs two silver.” was the Reply, the price memorized in his head. “Pay then pick quickly, as I’m not letting them stay out too long.” He added, with a hint of sympathy in his voice.

Zagaroth nodded and took out two pieces of silver handing them to merchant. No Veilbrandian accent on this one. “Save the best for the city. I’m fine with the piece you can grab the fastest.” To him even the lowest quality and smallest piece of food was often a full meal. The Merchant accepted the pay and gave Zagaroth at least a decently sized piece of dried meat, it was not a large piece or a small piece, just enough to make said full meal of it.

Still, it was not the individual Zagaroth was looking for. Zagaroth nodded taking a bite of the meat. “Delicious” he thought in his mind as he decided to focus on the next target. He guided his horse to meet the weapon sellers next. “Good evening my fellow traveller. You wouldn't have any daggers to show?” Once again his voice was respectful. The Weapon Dealer looked at him with a very suspicious look. “I might, but They’re at least 40 silver. Not sure if you can afford it.” He said, in a thick Saharan accent. “Besides, I have an order to fill in the City.”

That was enough for Zagaroth, Saharan accent was a deadend for him. “Ah unfortunately if that’s the case I believe I cannot. he kept his tone still polite. There was no reason to upset the merchants. He wished him good evening as he stopped his horse and pet her. Time to move on to the next suspect. But Zagaroth knew he had to be more careful as the weapon seller had become suspicious. He waited for the merchants to pass on, still keeping eyes on anything suspicious as he gave them simple greetings and wishes of good journey. Some of who nodded, some gave him the wish back, some, especially the jewelers eyeing him suspiciously, just ignoring him. Zagaroth waited for the monk travelling on behind. Just a word or two to hear him speak would be enough. So as the monk got closer, he nodded with a “Good evening brother.”

“Lemnia’s blessings upon you my friend. Have you travelled far?” The Monk replied. His voice was friendly and kind. There it was, the Veilbrandian accent Zagaroth had been hoping for. He nodded at the Monk’s question. “Indeed and my journey is far from it’s end” he simply replied. Was that enough of a proof? Zagaroth still needed to steal the bag to see if it truly had a Veilbrandian gift inside. And if it didn’t. His fear was that the real messenger was already inside the city walls and in the castle giving the gift to King. “I hope your journey has been a safe one.” he kept talking while trying to decide on how to snatch what he needed.

“The Journey from Gweynura has been pleasant. Lemnia has smiled upon me as I bring gifts from her to the people.” The monk replied, still wearing his smile. However, he then began to cough several times. He moved a bit to a nearby tree to have something to lean and rest on for a minute or two. Watching the monk, Zagaroth slided down off his horse, walking closer to him. “Need some help, brother?” he asked with a hint of worry in his voice.

“I’m well, just a small cough my child.” The monk said, trying to get his cough under control. Zagaroth nodded, but taking out his water bag, offering him a drink. The monk takes the bag and drinks a swallow or two. “Thank you kindly, my child. My throat must’ve been dry.” The Monk said, with a very diluted accent. One that Zagaroth knew too well. “Gweynura you say with that accent?” He thought in his mind with rising suspicion. “It’s always a pleasure to help another traveller.” Zag answered still politely as his mind was figuring out how to quickly take the bag and hop on his horse. Preferably without getting anyone after himself.

“Lemnia bless you child.” The monk said as he began another coughing fit, so hard that his bag started to fall off him. With a quick smooth slide Zagaroth got close to him as if to help him to stay standing, but instead he grabbed the bag with switch motion. Sparing no time he took off and run to the horse, jumped on it holding the bag as he hurried the horse into a gallop. It didn’t take too long until he was far enough to trust himself of being out of trouble. Patting the horse to a halt he finally opened the bag. Only to see. Nothing. No gift from Erguus. No Letter. Zagaroth looked into horizon where city of Her'Thall was rising. He knew it was too late now. He closed his eyes thinking. At least he could go into city, sleep a night at the inn and hopefully return the bag for the monk. After all, he knew what it was like to survive with nothing to call your own.

Slowly he told his horse to walk forward as they’d reach the city gates. He jumped down from his horse, leading her in the city and headed to the closest inn he could find. Patting the horse one more time Zagaroth headed in. “How much for a night?” He asked from the innkeep, tiredness in his voice from a long journey.

Within the walls of the fort, Kyero stayed right on Lonan's tail as they ascended. He could tell Lonan had at least done something like this before. But the fact that the space was literally smaller than Kyero's shoulder width, and only slightly larger than Lonan's, made it more tedious. And, sure enough, by the time they were about three quarters of the way up Lonan was sweating from a combination of the heat, given the lack of ventilation, and the effort of contorting himself in order to ascend. Kyero, meanwhile, was dry as a bone and still on his heels.

And, finally, as they neared the tiny point of light that was the exit, Kyero grabbed Lonan's boot and ordered him, quietly, to move aside. Squishing against the wall as best he could, Lonan let Kyero climb by to the tiny opening. Kyero remained silent for several long moments while he listened to what was outside before taking a dagger and slicing open a larger hole. Gently pulling it back inside towards himself, Kyero set it down on a support beam so it didn't fall and make more noise and climbed out the opening. Once out, he waited by the new entrance for Lonan to climb out.

When Lonan finally got outside, he found himself on the third of four floors with no enemies in sight... But an eerie silence overtaking the fort.

For as many men as there had to be here, it was far, far too quiet.

-----------------------------

Back at the inn, Linde remained on watch with Niils after breaking his fingers.

Down at the entrance, the inkeep greeted Zagaroth with a nod of his head.

"Apologies, sir. But our last rooms were booked earlier today. I'm afraid I have no rooms to offer. May I suggest another inn? There's one about ten minutes down the main road to your right as you exit this-"

From upstairs suddenly came a greatly muffled, but nonetheless audible shriek.

"... Apologies, sir. I believe one of our guests has accidentally harmed themselves. I need to go see to them. Good luck."

With that, the inkeep turned on a heel and dashed upstairs.

ZAGAROTH DANYELL

The shriek chilled Zagaroth to the bone. A shriek he knew very well from the streets. It wasn’t someone hurting themselves. It was someone was being tortured. Deciding he wouldn't stay for any longer, as last thing he wanted was to end in conflict that wasn’t related to him, he was about to turn on his heels when the innkeeper rushed off. Knowing he now got a couple extra minutes to spare, Zagaroth ducked behind the counter out of habit. His eyes quickly scanned the small area for anything useful. Couple spare coins and piece of bread were hidden in his bag, along with bottle of ale. A small enough booty that the innkeeper wouldn’t notice right away and no one would come after him.

With that he swiftly left the inn, took his horse and headed off. The innkeeper had mentioned another inn down the road, surely he would find it without a problem. He just hoped that inn had room. At this point he’d even sleep in the stables, anything was more comfortable than finding place to sleep on the streets. Besides he didn’t know about the customs of the city and would prefer not to end in jail for sleeping on the streets especially with stolen items with him.

Following the instructions, Zagaroth found the next inn; one with free rooms and no one seemingly torturing anyone. He paid for the night and headed upstairs to his room placing his and the monks bag down next to his bed. Laying down and closing his eyes he decided to worry about the task in hand once he’d wake up. Right now, it just felt like a luxury to be able to sleep in real bed.

Lonán climbed for what felt like hours to him, by the way sweat was beginning to form on his brow. But the heat didn’t bother him. He was of the desert after all. However, Kyero signaled him to move back a bit so he could get an exit formed. The young warrior had to focus his mind on the objective. He couldn’t allow himself to think of the worst case scenario just yet. Not until they found her. Alive or...

“No! None of that! None of that. My failure to save Clarissa won’t happen here!” He thought. At Kyero’s signal to come out he pulled himself out, hand ready to go to his weapon for the nearest guard when he noticed something. He looked around the hall they were in. He could not see or hear a single soul on this floor.

“It’s too quiet. Where is everyone?” he asked out loud, in a low whisper. His teeth began to clench as his worry began to pile on him. “We have to hurry and find her. Right now.”

At the back of his mind, he realized his voice near the end of that statement began to almost sound like The Old Wolf’s when he spoke. His Grandfather’s voice always sounded like dripping wild honey to him, even when he was deadly calm. But the rest of his mind slowly became focused on finding Josephine, and saving her as soon as possible. “Where do you think she'll be kept Kyero?” he whispered, that same tone almost displaying his intentions to hurt someone while the night was young. His hand inched ever closer to his sword as he looked around.

Kyero kept his eyes on the world around them as Lonan spoke.

"She'll likely be kept in the safest place possible as an important prisoner, which would be the lower dungeon." He replied quietly.

He took a few steps towards the stairs leading down and crouched as low as possible, pausing near the ledge.

"Keep low to the ground as we move, and keep close." He whispered forcefully.

He lead Lonan down the stairs, which were fully visible to the inner courtyard which the walls surrounded. Nobody was there, however. Not a single soul to be seen. As they approached the top of the wooden stairs leading down from the 2nd floor to ground level of the grassy courtyard, Kyero paused.

"... No." He whispered.

Kyero backed away form the edge of the stairs leading down and looked up, back towards the way they'd come. Nobody. He looked down towards the empty courtyard. Nobody.

". . . . . It can't be this easy." He whispered.

Lonán followed Kyero towards the stairs and did as he was told. His mind couldn’t keep still however as it went into overdrive thinking about the ease of their infiltration. Something was definitely amiss if they didn’t find the guards.

He looked around as Kyero began to whisper about how it could not be this easy. The young Saharan began to ponder as he thought through everything in his head. There was no one when they went in proper. There was no one down below guarding the courtyard perimeter. Either they were all drinking for celebrating some sort of occasion or worse.

“Oh Heresta. Lonán whispered. “Sounds like somehow they’re either expecting us...or they’re all celebrating someone’s birthday. Or they could be all below with... We’ve got to hurry. Now.” He said, his face slowly turning into fury at thinking that they might be potentially killing Josephine tonight. He could not fail again...not again.

Kyero's gaze remained firmly planted on the center of the courtyard.

"Calm yourself." He whispered, never taking his eyes off that spot down below.

"Look at the courtyard." He whispered.

The grass, cobblestone, the armor and weapon racks, even the flipping barrels of ale... Everything was pristine.

"There should be wear and tear from the elements on the wood and stone. And the grass should have discoloration from all the soldiers walking over it day after day. But look at it... It's pristine."

One step at a time, Kyero began descending the stairs while keeping his eyes open for any signs of movement.

"There's something... Familiar about this." He whispered.

A single foot touched down on the grass, and a shiver ran up his spine.

"What... Was that?" He asked aloud.

Lonán blinked twice as he observed the courtyard as he cautiously followed Kyero. “You’re right. It’s as if no one was ever here...at all. What in Heresta’s name is going on?” he wondered, as he cautiously followed. He kept his anger in check as they went down. When he noted Kyero mention something familiar about it, Lonán raised an eyebrow.

Could they be dealing with someone from the Te’i Sa’i again? Or was it some other trick Kyero had yet to describe to those unfamiliar with his work save for Linde. “It has got to be something then. He wouldn’t be super cautious if he didn’t recognize something about it.”

The moment Kyero stopped when he took one step onto the grass made Lonán grip his sword tightly and slowly catch up to him. “What was what Kyero? Is there something here with us?” Whatever it was, if it was looking for a fight, he and Kyero better be prepared for it.

Kyero hesitated with his second step, touching down as light as a feather before standing up straight.

"... No..." He replied quietly.

He glanced around the pristine courtyard and let out a deep breath.

"... My imagination running away with me." He said quietly.

He continued slowly rotating his head, almost like a gear turning in a machine. Eyes scanning slowly, sliding from one point to another as smoothly as water slides along a solid surface.

"The courtyard wouldn't be this... New... If nobody was here. Let's go."

Despite the calm confidence in his voice, Kyero's steps were even more careful than when he descended the steps earlier. It was almost as if he was threading a needle with every step.

He made his way to a nearby door and paused as his hand wrapped around the handle before tugging on it ever so gently to test its lock. The door didn't budge, so Kyero brought out a tiny metallic tool from his pocket and picked them lock with the greatest of ease. A tiny "click," and the door slid open. Kyero hid behind it just in case anyone was waiting behind it, but nobody emerged. Kyero slowly walked into the darkness, his glowing eyes guiding the way.

Wandering through the rooms one by one, they finally found the stairs a few minutes later and began their descent. Small, poorly kept candles lit their way until they came to a branching central room leading to numerous hallways. Kyero glanced to each door, checking the floor beneath them for signs of being used. Any imperfections in the carpet would speak to feet stopping before the door to open it, and any wear on the handles would speak to hands using them with frequency. And there was one door on the left which stood out from the rest.

"Oh, my. Visitors." Came a voice from just behind a pillar near the door.

From behind the door emerged an aging woman, hair white as snow and wrinkles as deep as the sea.

"My, my, my. Such handsome young men. Perhaps you've come for a cup of tea?" She asked pleasantly.

Lonán followed close behind Kyero. Imagination running away with the Red Eyed Demon? That’s something to worry about it seemed. The Saharan looked around silently as well, looking for any sign of life. His hand was still firmly holding the handle of his sword, ready to draw and ready for a fight at a moment’s notice.

The moment came when they made it to the door and entered in. Lonán couldn’t help but wonder, if they were truly alone here, or if Josephine was even here at all. But then the voice came and he whirled around in fright and alarm.

The woman seemed pleasant in voice but something felt odd. As if she Suddenly was there the moment they walked in. Lonán’s heart began skipping a beat. “Who or what are you? And we’ve come for something other then tea, though your hospitality is strangely...unexpected.” Lonán replied. There was something going on here and he wanted answers, as well as find and get Josephine out of this Fortress. His instincts told him danger was close by and this old woman seemed the likely candidate. He remembered stories about witches from His late Grandmother Sigrun.

None of them good. He didn’t think they existed, but what in Heresta’s name is She?!

"Ho ho ho ho. Well, that's a shame. I just made a fresh brew, too."

She walked further out into the center of the room with Kyero's glowing red eyes locked on her the whole way.

"Oh, my. If my eyes aren't mistaken, you're the legendary Red-Eyed Demon, aren't you?"

"Who's to say?"

"Ho ho ho. Standoffish. Stubborn to a fault too, no doubt. But I suppose it's only-"

"Blonde woman. Taller than average. Noble bearing. Where is she?"

"Hmm?"

“We’re looking for a woman of that description. Josephine Dezantro.” Lonán said, trying to get the conversation to go faster. “We heard that she’d be here in this place. Where is she?”

Lonán had it figured she’d ask if Kyero was who he was. No one of his description and skill wasn’t heard of. Something felt off though. This woman was being too pleasant, especially with being welcoming and offering Tea in a Triveilan Military fort.

Something was wrong here. Lonán wanted to know what so he’d try and strategize an escape accordingly whilst his mind wasn’t engulfed in a rage. Cause once he lets his anger loose, it’d be the most likely thing his mind will follow Like a one track mining cart. He wished Aetrius or Linde was here with them to help get some answers!

"Ooohh... I see."

Kyero slowly turned and gave Lonan a death glare before looking back to the old woman.

"Where is the girl?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that. My master would be most displeased if I said anything."

"Your... Master?"

"I've said too much already, dear. I'm sorry."

The woman, with speed nothing short of shocking for her age, spun around and reached behind the pillar nearest her. Kyero, without hesitation, turned and grabbed Lonan by the lapels and threw him to the ground. A split-second later, crossbow bolts erupted from the walls by the hundreds. The old woman herself was impaled by dozens of them through all parts of her body as others managed to strike Kyero before he ducked below their line of fire.

When they stopped flying... A full and agonizing ten seconds later... Kyero grimaced as he stood up with at least eight bolts stuck in his upper back and one which had sliced through his right cheek.

He eyed the old woman's body, bolts sticking out like a pincushion, and snarled.

"... Bitch."

A second later, Kyero's boot slammed into the side of her bolted head until it split like a melon. Brain matter, bone shards, and two bloodshot eyeballs rolled beneath his feet as he ground them into the rapidly reddening carpet.

"That door. Now." He growled, pointing at the one he'd eyed before with a slightly faded handle bar and a slightly more flattened bit of carpet.

"... Don't stand in front of the door when you open it."

Lonán would have reacted by attacking the woman, but Kyero knocked him down causing him to barely avoid being hit by the flurry of crossbow bolts. At the same time Lonán began to get yet again, a reminder of why Kyero was oft called a demon, What with his almost uncanny ability to not feel pain. At least they both were still alive for the moment.

Only bad thing was, the Old woman was now expired and unable to divulge any info, so the only solution left was to continue into the lower levels of Moraello. It still didn’t explain where all the guards were either! That all had to wait as he approached the door, whilst avoiding any stepping onto the carpet. He backed up so that he’d be right next to the door’s hinges and reached to the doorknob.

“Grandmother would be proud of Anti Prank Maneuver Alpha.” He thought. He then turned the doorknob and pulled the door wide open, hoping to Heresta the door would protect him. “Duck and cover Kyero!” he exclaimed out his warning.

Kyero was already out of the way as the door was thrown open. Through the black void emerged a spiked club which shot out about 6 feet before coming to a stop. Kyero approached it and gave it a tug, pulling it off its device and then dropped it to the ground.

"Hmph."

Kyero then used the open doorway to break the bolts off from his back, though their tips remained embedded in his flesh. He'd have Lonan yank them out later.

For now, he continued slowly down the stairs with Lonan following close behind.

As they descended, the stone walls grew older and older, almost as if they were traveling back in time from the world above. Deeper and deeper they descended until they finally arrived at the bottom floor, and Kyero began slowly checking every corner, waiting to encounter the forces he knew had to be down here.

But even so... The silence remained deafening.

Lonán walked with Kyero silently as they descended the stairs, briefly looking back at the trap that was behind the door. Shrugging he continued to follow his friend down into the lower levels. The silence as they walked made him worried, and allowed all worry to cross his features.

What was going on? Where were the guards? Who was this Master the old woman mentioned, and what was he doing to Josephine? This made him curl his hands into fists at the thought of it. Whoever it was, was pretty soon going to make a harsh enemy out of Lonán.

He was of a Clan of Berserkers, and he intended to vent out several days worth of pent up anger upon this man. “Patience Lonán. Patience. I’ll make my anger known upon this man soon enough, then return to Her’thall to deal with Niils.” He thought to himself. His right hand slowly quivered at the thought of finally swinging his sword upon an enemy after so long. His last real fight being at the Cre’itan village of Atlum, where he met the adventuring group that included Kyero, Linde and Aetrius. He hoped the latter of the two were keeping the conspiring Niils contained so that he could be judged accordingly when they got back.

Still, the silence only added to his anxiety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back