Advice/Help Anyone want to work on an ORIGINAL rp?

Shabazz

A lot of this site is just recycled ideas with a tiny difference. Super power teens in highschool seems to be a big one. Post apocalyptic survival as well. I’m just wondering if anyone is interested in something new? Something truly original and interesting? Who knows, maybe it’ll actually work.

What about a group of slaves in an empire organizing a coup so they can burn the entire empire to the ground and build their own government on it's ashes?

A lot of this site is just recycled ideas with a tiny difference. Super power teens in highschool seems to be a big one. Post apocalyptic survival as well. I’m just wondering if anyone is interested in something new? Something truly original and interesting? Who knows, maybe it’ll actually work.

You say that like that's of just how things work. It's not "this site" it's humanity that comes up with ideas in bundles.

Plus tiny variations make all the difference. You're not gonna find actual originality in broad strokes, because that's not possible. You can only find originality by exploring old ideas in new ways

I wonder if the day is ever going to come where almost nothing is original, but I'm not worried about that day coming. I have yet to check out a movie or book and think to myself "Wow, this shit is pretty similar to the last three books I read..."
I don't think it's a big deal personally, as I imagine some people do like to approach the same plot differently, with even a new cast of characters providing a drastic difference to the journey and the destination the story finds itself on.

And yet, I still think I've gotta look for those who do. Even though I don't do very much roleplaying here, so it ends up being mostly for me. Anyways:

I do fantasy, and basically:
A good chunk of Fantasy Interest Checks: Focused around a set of very important people (the players), artifacts, or something else, on a plot very important to the fate of the world. To be fair, that was in the past. There are also academy plots too, if you fancy an education.

Me: Hey, who wants to buy some drugs and go on a sleepwalking voyage in an unfamiliar part of the world?
I have a small variety of high fantasy plots focused mostly on organizations independent to the larger world around them, such as our group of intrepid oneiromancers above, and some potentially interesting stories in store. Originally, I had a whole world and timeline thingy planned which would come into play if I did a shit ton of these roleplays, but I haven't done much with it yet. Still, if you want to hear more about these, you just let me know and I'll drop a whole batch of my ideas in this thread.

Also might be where your searching. There is a big variety in 1x1s but that can be it's own problem. It can be hard to find people who are interested in the same things you are because everyone wants to do their own thing.

But even then it's usually not too difficult to find creative ideas.

I can't speak for groups but you might try just making a thread and see if anyone is interested.

There is a theory that every story can come down to one of the 6 (or 7? How ever many there are) basic plots that is simply being restated over and over again until the end of man.

Bottom line, there really is not anything that is completely original anymore, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It simply challenges us to come up with our own spin on these stories and make them our own in our own way.

You specifically bring up highschool super power type plots, which are a dime a dozen, I know. But, while each one is probably filled with its own cliches, each one likely has its own characters and own original dialogue ad sequence of events, which might be similar to another, but because of these new characters, has, at least, a bit of a difference.

Same can be said for the apocalypse survival type Rps.

Now, what I think is the real thing that frustrates most people about rping is actually not the lack of original content, but the unbalanced enthusiasm for certain content, which I am able to sympathize with.

It is true, many academy type Roleplays ahve no problem getting off the ground. Which, the reason why is because they have a semi-familiar setting, and because of Harry Potter especially, they're pretty popular so most people are familiar with the type of story and type of elements that would come out of them.

However, the more niche preferences tend to have a harder time getting off the ground. As someone that has always loved The Dark Tower series and Dark Fantasy Western and has never truly got to RP it with someone, I am a bit displeased. But that's simply how the dice fall and I just have to hope that I will one day find my knight in shining armor that will do it with me.

So, I understand the frustration if you have a more niche idea and are having trouble finding RP partners while the Academy Roleplay seems to take off without a hitch. Just keep your head up and keep searching. I'm afraid you might just have to wait longer and search harder to get that perfect partner. But in the end, I gurantee it is worth it.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back