Other Anyone else get annoyed when...

WildHairedOne

The pessimistic optimist
You have some ideas in your head, but just can't put them into words? Or you have ideas and you're just not sure how they would work? Basically a brainstorm block I guess.

Happens a hell of a lot to me. here's some tips on what I do:
1. Attempt to write them down, or write down any fragments or imagined scenes
2. Go back to the sources I first got the inspiration from
3. Attempt to figure it out through negatives, AKA, what the idea isn't rather than what it is.
4. Talk to other people about the idea, or what I can think about it.

Thanks! I was thinking of writing some stuff down and going back to the sources! It just sucks. Just sounds like one of those things that sound good in theory but may not actually work out. I'd need find someone kinda on the same wavelength too!

True, it doesn't always work. In the end of the day though, I've learned that salvaging the original idea isn't what really matters. Details always change in well-developed ideas anyways. No, the important thing to capture is what appeals to you about the idea. What are the core things that make you excited about it and such.

Thanks for the advice! Excellent points! I need to start going back to the inspirations behind the idea! Going to take awhile since they're both shows!

It may sound strange but I actually get up and pace around, Sometimes I run through motions of a Scene through my head and imagine words for each of the actions. However there have been times when I had a really good idea for a post, something vivid and detailed, only to lose it due to my available time or how fast an RP may move. Of course it never deterred me from doing my absolute best later on down the line but I always hate that it could have been better. Typically I try to save a draft if all else fails or type it up on Docs as I'm having the idea so I don't forget. Sometimes if I have a really good statement, quote, or details for a scene I write it down first then write around it.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yesss...I believe I have a very good idea on a theme or a set up. However, since I can't put it into proper words, the creative imagination fails to translate to something worth reading. I'm distressed and disappointed.

I wonder if our failures to expand on an idea we've imagined is basically due to lack of experience. If you don't practice writing things down regularly then doing so when something good arises will be exponentially more difficult.

I can see how that can be. I've only ever written a few ideas down so it's not common place for me. I should work on that though. It'll probably help!

Yes! This happens to me every single day.
My procedure is to step away from my laptop and do something that completely takes my focus away from what I'm writing for a few minutes. I juggle, draw, do push-ups... whatever. The idea is to let the idea be fully absorbed by your subconsciousness.
Chances are, by the time you return to the task the answer will just pop out.

I got the idea from the great mathematician, Poincaré; he's spend weeks studying a problem intently before suddenly just stopping completely. The problem would be digested in his subconscious for a while and then, at random moments, he'd get bursts of inspiration. Legend has it that he once solved a problem months after studying it whilst stepping off a bus!

Ooooh! That sounds like something to try! Well maybe not juggling. I'm not that coordinated lol. I may try this too! I appreciate all this advice! Hopefully something will help me out!

Kinda. What annoys me more is when I'm baited into a discussion I don't care about simply because the person posting the damn thing wrote an incomplete title...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back