Other Any MTG players here?

Shotgunpenguin

I have become haitus, destroyer of RP's
Roleplay Type(s)
So recently I've gotten into MTG through a friend of mine at college. I've been having a blast just making commander decks and playing against others on campus, as well as playing MTG Arena. So if you want to talk about deckbuilding, upcoming sets or are just interested in Magic here's a place where we can all chat.

Cool, what format are you all into? I've stuck with commander for the most part ever since I played a couple of games of standard against my friends. Longest game I lasted against them was turn 12 before being obliterated by ruric-thar burn.
I just play some casual games when I get the chance and MTG arena. Don't really have people to play with in real life most of the time, so I wouldn't say I play a specific format (other than pre-release), but I would really love to try commander if I ever get the chance.

I just play some casual games when I get the chance and MTG arena. Don't really have people to play with in real life most of the time, so I wouldn't say I play a specific format (other than pre-release), but I would really love to try commander if I ever get the chance.
Yeah, I was the same when I got to college. Didn't really have anyone to play with until one of the people asked me if I wanted to try it out with one of their spare decks. If you ever get the chance to play commander I would highly recommend it, only being able to have 1 copy of any non-basic land makes you really think of what you want in a deck. If you ever want to make one check out the Commander's Quarters on YouTube, dude runs through decks that only run about $25. Although recently he's switched it over to $50 decks due to the recent increase in some cards. But really all you need to do is find a commander that you think would be fun to play around with and build it up from there. That's what I did with my first deck and I have a blast playing with it.

I used to live near a place where they had FNM so I played it quite a lot. But that was like 4 years ago... all my decks are out of Standard rotation by now. I haven't played irl since then.
Also played those games for xbox 360, and tried Arena a bit.

My favourite deck that I used to win with was white/green and built around token generation, buffing them and making the whole team invulnerable for the finisher. Fun times.

I used to live near a place where they had FNM so I played it quite a lot. But that was like 4 years ago... all my decks are out of Standard rotation by now. I haven't played irl since then.

My favourite deck that I used to win with was white/green and built around token generation, buffing them and making the whole team invulnerable for the finisher. Fun times.
At least in Arena, my fav deck is Red/Green (Gruul) with a focus on getting this one creature (Nikya of the old ways) out to double the mana my lands produced. Then playing a creature spell with X in it and then buffing everything with trample for the big ol' smack. Played around with a green/white wolf deck for a bit, but there just aren't enough wolves to make it work:closedeyesfrown:

At least in Arena, my fav deck is Red/Green (Gruul) with a focus on getting this one creature (Nikya of the old ways) out to double the mana my lands produced. Then playing a creature spell with X in it and then buffing everything with trample for the big ol' smack. Played around with a green/white wolf deck for a bit, but there just aren't enough wolves to make it work:closedeyesfrown:
In arena my favorite is a blue/black with a bit of red "kill and steal" control.

I play the most is mono black though
kill everything

Yeah, I was the same when I got to college. Didn't really have anyone to play with until one of the people asked me if I wanted to try it out with one of their spare decks. If you ever get the chance to play commander I would highly recommend it, only being able to have 1 copy of any non-basic land makes you really think of what you want in a deck. If you ever want to make one check out the Commander's Quarters on YouTube, dude runs through decks that only run about $25. Although recently he's switched it over to $50 decks due to the recent increase in some cards. But really all you need to do is find a commander that you think would be fun to play around with and build it up from there. That's what I did with my first deck and I have a blast playing with it.
I've got a pretty decent collection of cards all things considered, even if they aren't the best. I promised myself I'd buy the commander I want online and try to find a group to play when my grades improve in college.

In arena my favorite is a blue/black with a bit of red "kill and steal" control.

I play the most is mono black though
kill everything
I've been trying out some mono-white decks, usually stuffed with every Ajani I could get my hands on, but they all fall to my 2 most hated decks. Mono-red burn and Blue/black that makes you discard and that one card that exiles cards from your library (thief of sanity)

I've got a pretty decent collection of cards all things considered, even if they aren't the best. I promised myself I'd buy the commander I want online and try to find a group to play when my grades improve in college.
That's very reasonable, grades should always come first in college. It was the same for me for my first deck, threw together every red and goblin card I could scrounge together to make a Krenko, Mob Boss deck that was like a bunch of random explosives strapped to a rock. Half the time it just blew up in my face, but the other half I at least took someone else with me. If you can, check to see if your college has any clubs that meet up to play. The club I'm in is technically called the tabletop gaming club but we also play Magic, plus any DnD club usually has a few people who play.

I’ve just played casual I don’t know anyone who I can play in person with so I mostly play on magic duels I haven’t transitioned to arena yet. I usually played black/white

I started out playing it casually IRL (I learned in a hobby shop and got hooked), then did Magic Duels (it wasn't worth spending money to keep up to date), then ended up as a beta tester for Magic Arena (beta testing is not fun). I still play Arena, but the timers are way too long and trolls are abusing them and the card draw system keeps leaving me with useless hands.
I usually play Black/White life drain/pump up creatures when I gain life/spawn angel tokens. I've also got a Black/Blue Treasure deck that uses the Treasure to also play Nicol Bolas cards (with a secondary win condition being life drain with vampires) and a Blue/Red Damage/draw deck.
I really hate how many players are running Elemental decks that are absurdly broken or Blue/Black decks that take advantage of how bad the draw system is for anyone else using it. If a game's set up so only a tiny handful of strategies are viable or some are so OP they're the only ones to go with the game isn't fun.

Hello fellow magic player! I typically stick to standard/MTGA, although I’m considering commander and making a rat colony deck.

For paperback I mainly stick to drafts since I don’t exactly have any complete decks, but I’ve been trying to get these three decks- which I use and win with (well- sometimes) on MTGA, and made pretty good progress.

One of them is a combo deck- focusing around Ral Storm Conduit. The point of this deck is to get four cards out- one Ral, two expansions/explosions, and one... whatever spell you can cast- doesn’t really matter. Ral’s passive planewalker skill is that “each spell/copy of a spell deals one damage to planeswalker/opponent”. That’s basically how you’d win- play any spell, copy it with Expansion (two blue- basically a “copy target spell”) and copy that copy. Used the copy’s copy and copy the next copy. Copy the copy’s copy and copy that copy. And basically continuously copy the copy until your opponent dies due to Ral.

Have a Dimir (blue/black) deck that is pretty solid, a mixture of “being an asshole” and zombies. Has a decent amount of cards that cause the opponent to discard, with a good amount of control. What makes it fun is “The Eldest Reborn” which is a scroll that eventually lets you take any creature/planeswalker from the graveyard and put it under your control. Pretty fun. Although the main idea of it is Dreadhorde invasion- which makes you lose one life every turn, but amass one. Amass over five- and boom, lifelink on the zombie token. Spells help it amass a lot quicker, and God Eternal Kefnet makes casting the high cost spells (Commence the Endgame/Enter the god Eternals/Vraskas Contempt) a lot easier, while also making a cheap duplicate of them. There’s also the bomb “Lilliana dreadhorde general” that works surprisingly well with “Ugin the Ineffetable”.

Last one is basically just... hydras. Get as much mana as possible- and cast those big boys as fast as possible with high power/defense. Mainly the ones with the “x” cost that relies on it- I just wish there was more then five hydra cards in Standard rotation...

Last edited:
I started out playing it casually IRL (I learned in a hobby shop and got hooked), then did Magic Duels (it wasn't worth spending money to keep up to date), then ended up as a beta tester for Magic Arena (beta testing is not fun). I still play Arena, but the timers are way too long and trolls are abusing them and the card draw system keeps leaving me with useless hands.
I usually play Black/White life drain/pump up creatures when I gain life/spawn angel tokens. I've also got a Black/Blue Treasure deck that uses the Treasure to also play Nicol Bolas cards (with a secondary win condition being life drain with vampires) and a Blue/Red Damage/draw deck.
I really hate how many players are running Elemental decks that are absurdly broken or Blue/Black decks that take advantage of how bad the draw system is for anyone else using it. If a game's set up so only a tiny handful of strategies are viable or some are so OP they're the only ones to go with the game isn't fun.
Yeah I always hate going against Dimir decks that just don't let you have a hand. Like literally if they get the right hand they can go turn 1 Duress, you discard a card. Turn 2 Thought erasure, that's another card. Turn 3 that's another thought erasure so that's another discard, followed by a duress for another disc. That means if you've been hitting those land drops, your hand is now at 3/4 depending if you went first. For me elemental decks aren't too much of a bother, but mono-red burn is what gets me tilted faster than any other deck

Hello fellow magic player! I typically stick to standard/MTGA, although I’m considering commander and making a rat colony deck.

For paperback I mainly stick to drafts since I don’t exactly have any complete decks, but I’ve been trying to get these three decks- which I use and win with (well- sometimes) on MTGA, and made pretty good progress.

One of them is a combo deck- focusing around Ral Storm Conduit. The point of this deck is to get four cards out- one Ral, two expansions/explosions, and one... whatever spell you can cast- doesn’t really matter. Ral’s passive planewalker skill is that “each spell/copy of a spell deals one damage to planeswalker/opponent”. That’s basically how you’d win- play any spell, copy it with Expansion (two blue- basically a “copy target spell”) and copy that copy. Used the copy’s copy and copy the next copy. Copy the copy’s copy and copy that copy. And basically continuously copy the copy until your opponent dies due to Ral.

Have a Dimir (blue/black) deck that is pretty solid, a mixture of “being an asshole” and zombies. Has a decent amount of cards that cause the opponent to discard, with a good amount of control. What makes it fun is “The Eldest Reborn” which is a scroll that eventually lets you take any creature/planeswalker from the graveyard and put it under your control. Pretty fun. Although the main idea of it is Dreadhorde invasion- which makes you lose one life every turn, but amass one. Amass over five- and boom, lifelink on the zombie token. Spells help it amass a lot quicker, and God Eternal Kefnet makes casting the high cost spells (Commence the Endgame/Enter the god Eternals/Vraskas Contempt) a lot easier, while also making a cheap duplicate of them. There’s also the bomb “Lilliana dreadhorde general” that works surprisingly well with “Ugin the Ineffetable”.

Last one is basically just... hydras. Get as much mana as possible- and cast those big boys as fast as possible with high power/defense. Mainly the ones with the “x” cost that relies on it- I just wish there was more then five hydra cards in Standard rotation...
Nice, I have three go to decks too, although the third has been lagging behind lately

1st deck is Grull (Red/Green) with the main goal with getting Nikya of the old ways to double my mana. After that, cast big creatures such as Galta, Primal Fury, Etali, Primal Storm, Pelakka Wurm, End-raze Forerunners and Ugin's spirit conjurant to make it massive. After that, buff everything with pump effects and overwhelm the opponent with extreme damage. Alternate win condition is to Get Domri Rades ultimate alongside Verdant Sun's Avatar, allowing me to gain 8 life every rotation and amass 2 4/4's with trample.

Second deck is an Izzet deck (Red/Blue) with the main win con being able to go late game with planeswalkers such as "Jace, Ingenious Mind Mage", "Ral Storms Conduit" and the enchantment Thousand Year storm. Get creatures such as Spellgorger Weird, Crackling Drake, and Jace's projection to buff them up and then clear the opponents field with copied burn spells.

Final deck is a Selsnya deck (Green/White) who's main goal is to get Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves on the field and start casting wolves to clear the board. After that, get "Ajani, The Greatharted" on the field and start distributing those counters on all of your wolves. Then get a proliferate engine going with Karn's Bastion and Evolution Sage to buff everything up while swinging with your huge wolves. But this deck has been tanking recently as there just aren't enough good wolves to take out bigger blockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back