• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Another Online Game RP?

SubstituteHero

Enemy Stand User
The answer is yes. Yeah, it's another attempt at an online game rp. However, this one comes with a twist! It isn't about being trapped in the game or dying in real life if you die in the game like the plot has been since the first portrayal of an online game in any form of media. I hate to say it, but the plot is done to death, long before it appeared in whatever first came to mind when you read that sentence. Since that thread lacks originality, what do we do to add consequence and interest to something that can otherwise be jumped out of as soon as trouble shows?

Personally, my mind goes immediately in the direction of Hunter X Hunter's Greed Island arc. Instead of forcing people to stay, they made the entry barrier much greater and granted tangible rewards. Not only this, but the inclusion of a real villain with the same goals as the heroes gave a looming threat that they eventually had to face. I want to draw on this idea, maybe the greatest portrayal of an online game in anime, to create something with a real challenge.

So, if you're interested in trying to find a type of real danger and obstacle for an online game-styled rp that hasn't been done to death, I'd love to hear from you! I'll be posting my own shortly, and you're more than free to put up your ideas for a conflict/plot. Once we've had a chance to discuss things, I'll be starting up a board based on the plot that we all agree on. Sound fun? Let's get this boulder rollin', folks!

Idea 1 (Drawn heavily from Greed Island)

The game is an exclusive, to the point of being mere legend in most gaming circles. There are a few, however, that have devoted their fortunes to obtaining and showcasing the few games that exist. At the time, only 100 copies are known to be in circulation and the largest collector of them owns 25 of the games. He himself is only playing one, but he hopes to bring others in on the action. Luckily, this very special honor guard in the untold reaches of the game includes you. The aging collector has hired you as part of the 24 that will help him complete the game through conquering the nation set before you. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and with the contract before you it will be hard to forget that.

[Editing in more]

Idea 2

It's no secret that the greatest work force known to man is the collectively bored internet. Somehow, a mass of people with nothing better to do end up solving problems that they shouldn't be able to. This is why, when a message came from space with layer upon layer of script behind it, it was turned loose for the teeming masses to attempt. Rather than allow possibly sensitive information to fall into the public's hands, however, it was disguised layer by layer in the form of an online game. It was meant to be free roaming and entirely user-determined. Each layer of the puzzle and the unknown script would be left for players to challenge until connections were made and patterns were found. One can only hope that no one catches on before the world's leaders have a chance to figure out what the signal was all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back