TV & Film anime?

cxrlyxo

you are my life now
i’ve been seeing a lot of anime fandoms on here and i honestly wanna try to get into it. what recommendations do you guys have, and where can i watch them? (i have netflix, hulu and amazon prime!)

Can I ask what other sort of media/books/creative works you're into? There's a lot of anime I think is good, but I don't think everyone would like it.

Can I ask what other sort of media/books/creative works you're into? There's a lot of anime I think is good, but I don't think everyone would like it.
i’m into supernatural/dystopian stuff if there’s any of that! divergent, twilight, creepy stalker shows/books out there lmao

Castlevania is technically a US-made production with an anime style, but I'd definitely recommend that one. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is general well-regarded and has some good dark moments.

Castlevania is technically a US-made production with an anime style, but I'd definitely recommend that one. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is general well-regarded and has some good dark moments.
what platforms are those on?

i’ve been seeing a lot of anime fandoms on here and i honestly wanna try to get into it. what recommendations do you guys have, and where can i watch them? (i have netflix, hulu and amazon prime!)
Seven Deadly Sins (Netflix). Berserk (Crunchyroll or Funimation or Amazon, if you wanna watch the movies, Netflix). The Promised Neverland (Hulu or Netflix). Tokyo Ghoul (Hulu). Midnight Occult Civil Servants (Netflix). Mushi-Shi (Hulu). Full metal Alchemist/Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood (Netflix or Hulu). Black Butler (Netflix). Death Note (Netflix or Hulu). Spirited away (Netflix)

i’m into supernatural/dystopian stuff if there’s any of that! divergent, twilight, creepy stalker shows/books out there lmao

For the purposes of these recommendations, I am mainly focused on the "dystopian" and "supernatural elements" as criteria, with some YA-esque monster romance sprinkled in for some.

Top Recommendations:
1. Code Geass (An anime about Lelouch Vi Brittania, a former potential heir to the Brittanian Empire which conquered most of the world, now living in disguise. He meets a girl who bestows upon him the power of geass, to proclaim 1 command to anyone which they absolutely must obey. With this power, Lelouch launches his rebellion against the empire.
One of my personal top 5, and an anime I really recommend in terms of an entry-way given your tastes. Why? Cause it's a really "anime" anime. Anime is often a very out-of-the-box medium and stories can contain elements you'd never think would be part of such a story in a different kind of medium. In code geass's case, we have elements of mystery, politics, supernatural powers, mechas (giant fighting robots people pilot), political rebellion, dystopia... And it somehow all comes together incredibly well. It's a great pick for fitting your tastes, and also introducing you to the sort of medium anime is.)

2. Ghost in the Shell and/or Psycho-Pass (Both of these are great dystopian shows which I personally haven't seen. However, they have quite the renown within the anime community, so if they are up your alley, feel free to check them out! They are more near-future cyberpunk than supernatural, but in from what I understand they really excel in those dystopian goodies.)

3.Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate Zero. (A show and an alternative reality sequel, focused on a man who accidentally invents a phone which can send time-travelling texts, and ends up altering the world around him. I'll spoil that he gets involved with a conspiracy, but I'll leave it at that. There's some heavy dystopian elements, excellent writing, and a pretty trippy direction style. 110% Recommended.)

4. Wolf's Rain (The YA romance I was talking about, wolf's rain has the traits of a pretty good emotional story involving this pack of wolves in human form, and a dystopian society they have to go through. Now honestly this wasn't the most memorable show ever for me, and I watched quite a while ago, but I do think it would very well hit pretty much all the things you were looking for.)

5. Plastic Memories (Set in a world where humanoid robots with human-like intelligence have been developed and integrated into many people's lives, the anime focuses on a retrieval team tasked with dealing with one of the harshest parts of the reality of these inventions: Nomatter the robot, their memory has a limited shelf life, and every few years they have to be "reset". The retrieval team are those who go to meet the people living side by side with the robots to convince them to let go of the robot before they have to watch their surrogate loved one's memory and personality gradually deteriorate. It's a heart-string-pulling type of story as you may have guessed, with a bit of a light dystopian element. While I'm not sure if this is entirely the tone you would have preferred, I still think it would really go well with your tastes.)

6.Promised Neverland (Telling you the premise would bring some major spoilers, so I'll just say it's a pretty intense dystopian story and a great horror anime.)

7.Kokkoku (A small family discovers a tool with which they can stop time. However, there are those who want such a device for their own, and chase them down in this thriller-mystery anime. While I'm not sure if it qualifies as dystopia, I definitely think it has those kinds of vibes/that kind of tone.)

8. Yuuki Yunna Wa Yuusha de Aru (While a magical girl show, I think this one probably embodies dystopian the best, seeming very positive on the surface, but really hiding this covered up inner dark layer. It’s a very well written show with heartfelt twists in my opinion, a definite work to recommend.)

Honorable Mentions:
1. Death Note (A really great anime, beloved of many and even served as a pretty great entry point. However, it doesn't really hit any of your boxes other than the supernatural one, so it's mostly here due to sheer quality and a relatively matching tone)

2. Tokyo Ghoul (This anime is focused on a world where hidden within humanity are these beings called ghouls- monsters in human form, but far more powerful than any human could hope to be, and with a critical flaw: The only source of nourishment they can ever consume is humans. The protagonist, Kaneki, wakes up after an accident having become half-ghoul himself, and experiences the world from their side, as an unwilling predator to humans- and also the one hunted by CCG, the government ghoul-hunting organization. I think it really hits all of your boxes, but without wanting to spoil too much, the first season ends in a major cliffhanger and the other ones gradually degraded in quality.)

3.Fate/Zero (Taking place in Fuyuki is a ritual called "The Holy Grail War", where seven masters summon seven servants (heroes from history and legend, embodied in vessels) to fight in a battle-royale-esque scenario in order to summon the Holy Grail, a wish-granting device. This is one of the best installments of the fate franchise, a great place to start getting into it. While not strictly dystopian, the mages are a sort of secret group that has to keep everything hidden from society even as they have this massive battle royale, and there is a dark somber tone that I would say fits what you are looking for pretty well)

4.Kill La Kill (An action show set in a dystopia and wherein there are these clothes made from something called “life fibers”. Without spoiling too much, the clothes made with a certain percentage of life fibers increasingly improve the user, whether simply by improving their body or even granting supernatural abilities. If I had to say one thing that makes it less than entry-level material, is that the very premise and later reveals, mean fan service is pretty much everywhere, it’s practically the core of the show even though it is genuinely well written and has a good plot and good action.)

5.Mirai Nikki (More for the dystopian tone than anything, but there are actual minor dystopian elements though I can’t too well describe it without spoiling. It’s another battle-royale-style show, this time between several people who have “future diaries”, which as the name implies have diaries up to a month in the future in terms of entries, each describing a different aspect of the future. Also, it you’re into “creepy stalkers” in stories, you won’t get much better than the cornerstone Yandere, Yuno Gasai.)

6.Rewrite (To be honest, I don’t recall the first season’s plot of this one too well, but we do have superpowers and dystopian groups. It’s not a very well-known show, but I do think it’s worth watching, second season especially)

7.Shimoneta (Set in a dystopia which somehow manages to be more and less realistic, this particular dystopia is one in which everything is hyper-prude and hyper-sanitized, aka “the concept of a dirt joke does not exist”, as the show puts it. There’s dystopian themes, but don’t get me wrong the shows is fundamentally and shamelessly a comedy with some “not safe for work” elements. Very fun and actually focused on a dystopia, which is in fact treated as a dystopia, but the tone and angle are comedic.)

8.Guilty Crown (Superpowers, very very dystopian, quality is debatable though. Still, I think it’s good enough to recommend).

9.Inuyashiki (An old man is hit by a crash-landing alien ship, and his body fixed with alien tech. The resulting action thriller is very well written, although I wouldn’t really say it checks your boxes, it does at least match them in tone I feel)

10.Magical Girl Rising Project (The last recommendation for today, another great magical girl show with dystopian elements, this one a lot more forward in the dark elements)

Dystopian/Fantasy Anime Recommendations
All are on Crunchyroll though Netflix has many of them as well.
1. Darwin’s game (my favorite anime of 2020)
2. The promised neverland
3. Another
4. Erased
5. Parasyte
6. Attack on titan
7. Tokyo Ghoul
8. Death note
9. Kabaneri of the iron fortress
10. Demon Slayer
11. Psycho-Pass
12. Akame ga kill
13. The rising of the shield hero
14. Dr. Stone
15. Juni Taisen: Zodiac War​

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

Death Note, Blue Excorist, and Soul Eater are ones that I keep going back to over and over. c:

A recent one I adored and wished I had more of is Beastars. <3 I recently enjoyed Parasyte, too.

♡design by rabbitswarren, coded by uxie♡

Cowboy bebop
Space Dandy
Hellsing
Hellsing abridged
Megaloboxing
Trigun
((Thought I would say Gundam didn't ya?))
((All on Huli, except abridged))

Every time someone wants to get into anime, the safest, most foolproof option is to reccommend Toradora-

What everyone else said. And also Made in Abyss.

Here are my amazon prime recs!
Magic Knight Rayearth
Land of the Lustrous
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Re: Creators my friends really into this one.

My netflix recs:
Beastars
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Soul Eater
Madoka Magica
Mobile Suit Gundam UC
Cardcaptor Sakura
Carole & Tuesday
Aggretsuko

Okay hear me out. I hate Sword Art Online I really can't stand that anime . . . HOWEVER, I kind of enjoyed Sword Art Online Alterative: Gun Gale Online probably because of main character is a girl, not an obnoxious anime protag dude, and that it is about an FPS game not a fantasy adventure. Either way I actually found it tolerable, not great or anything, but like kinda fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back