Advice/Help Anime or real pictures?

Rosebudxo

So I have been wondering about this for a while. Should a role-player use anime or real pictures and are using real pictures okay?

From all I see it honestly tends to come down to personal preference!

Some preferred irl/real Faceclaims

Some prefer anime/animated/art Faceclaims

Some prefer written descriptions only over images.

Is it wrong to use someone's real life picture though?
actors are usually considered ok because they're used to portray characters in visual fictional media. models are a little more of a gray area, but are also seen as acceptable. random person you found on insta/pinterest/youtube though? super weird. don't do it.

as far as art goes...most people are going to do it regardless of whether i tell them it's bad or not, but if you go that route, please take the time to find the original artist and credit them properly. try to avoid using art that is obviously of someone's original character, because they put a lot of work into their design and story.

idk lol it's an interesting debate tho
I personally don't mind using either but I really do feel like it depends on the rp. Some worlds would feel odd to use realistic fcs for, and vice versa.

When I first started rping tho I thought it was really odd to use art/drawn fcs. Also have always found it easier to find realistic fcs so.. idk! lol

but i've also had friends who had the opposite problem, where they had a much easier time finding art fcs. It's all preference.

Is it considered "stealing" to use someone else's picture for a roleplay?
It depends on what you mean.

If you mean like… someone’s art, it ultimately depends on the artist. Some artists don’t mind people using their character drawings for faceclaims, but others don’t want their art posted on other sites period. Either way its ideal to credit the art you use.

If you want to avoid the whole “stealing” dilemma, sticking with realistic faceclaims that are actors/actresses is your best bet.

It depends on what you mean.

If you mean like… someone’s art, it ultimately depends on the artist. Some artists don’t mind people using their character drawings for faceclaims, but others don’t want their art posted on other sites period. Either way its ideal to credit the art you use.

If you want to avoid the whole “stealing” dilemma, sticking with realistic faceclaims that are actors/actresses is your best bet.

So using "anime" is not considered stealing either?

So using "anime" is not considered stealing either?
Not in my eyes. So many popular anime characters are used over and over. It’s bound to happen.

Usually in character sheets/applications there is a spot where you describe who the fc is. That’s where you’d put “FC: Light from Deathnote”, for example.

To me it would only be considered stealing if you attempted to convince people that YOU drew that character.

Not in my eyes. So many popular anime characters are used over and over. It’s bound to happen.

Usually in character sheets/applications there is a spot where you describe who the fc is. That’s where you’d put “FC: Light from Deathnote”, for example.

To me it would only be considered stealing if you attempted to convince people that YOU drew that character.
Okay. Thanks for the help guys!

Depends on preference, really. For me personally I prefer no face claims and to just give a written description. However, when face claims are required I'll opt for whatever matches the aesthetic of the RP I'm joining. If it's a realistic RP then I'll use realistic faces (either actors/models or realistic artwork) and would expect everyone else to as well. However, if it's a RP based on an anime or some other animated series then anime faces should be used!

It depends on the overall setting and vibe you’d like to go with; I use both anime face claims and real-life face claims. I do have a personal rule with nobody under 21/who is recognisable in media/currently alive and has no scandals attached. I lean a little more towards actors; there is something more tangible to them with the gifs/expressions/which convey something more substantial than my writing can sometimes.

there is generally no right or wrong answer, as that depends entirely on you and your partner or group's preferences c:
typically, i default to whatever fits best with whatever we're writing or if a partner has strong preference of art versus realistic styled aesthetic.

It really depends on the fandom.

When I RP anime fandoms, I use anime claims. Same for things like cartoons too. For videogames with a more realistic art style, I'll use real life.

In terms of real life, I think actors/celebrities are okay. They're intentionally making their image a commodity, so I think using them is fair game. Using random people makes me uncomfortable. However at the same time, I will say that I do think that in a 1x1 setting, while I personally think it's weird...it doesn't really seem like it would actually harm anyone if some random person they never met thinks you look like their OC, you know? So if your heart is set on it, whatever. I wouldn't do it.

It really depends on the fandom.

When I RP anime fandoms, I use anime claims. Same for things like cartoons too. For videogames with a more realistic art style, I'll use real life.

In terms of real life, I think actors/celebrities are okay. They're intentionally making their image a commodity, so I think using them is fair game. Using random people makes me uncomfortable. However at the same time, I will say that I do think that in a 1x1 setting, while I personally think it's weird...it doesn't really seem like it would actually harm anyone if some random person they never met thinks you look like their OC, you know? So if your heart is set on it, whatever. I wouldn't do it.
I guess as long as it's not an "adult" roleplay, then using a celebrity image is fine?

I guess as long as it's not an "adult" roleplay, then using a celebrity image is fine?
I just think of it as them playing another role. I think the only place where it can get iffy is with sexual content, especially with underaged characters. Fortunately that's a non-issue on this site since smut is not allowed.

So I don't want to accidentally misread what you're saying--if you mean that you shouldn't use random people if you're RPing adult scenes, then I guess I do agree that is incredibly creepy. And if the celebrity is a minor that's a massive NO from me. And I don't write NSFW scenes generally anyway. So I agree on a personal level that I would not do that.

But if they're an adult, I guess my question is why exactly is it a problem if someone wants to do an adult roleplay? Especially for some actors--I can name off the top of my head plenty of actors that have shows/movies where they are acting out adult scenes. If I'm using, say, Natalie Portman as my faceclaim, why is it so weird to imagine my OC in an adult scene when the actress has been in Black Swan and probably plenty of other films with 'adult' scenes in them? The only reason I can see this being an actual problem is if I'm directly contacting the actor and trying to shove this in their face.

The other thing here is I think honestly, the role of faceclaims is seriously overblown in a lot of cases. A faceclaim is shown (1) time at the beginning of a thread to give you an idea of what a character looks like. Maybe in a group thread the person will code their face in every reply, but even then, it's literally just an image. I don't see that much of a substantive difference between describing my character with 'they look like Chris Pratt' before engaging in whatever, and doing the same thing and attaching a png too for reference. Either way the image is getting invoked somehow.

So I don't want to accidentally misread what you're saying--if you mean that you shouldn't use random people if you're RPing adult scenes, then I guess I do agree that is incredibly creepy. And if the celebrity is a minor that's a massive NO from me. And I don't write NSFW scenes generally anyway. So I agree on a personal level that I would not do that.

But if they're an adult, I guess my question is why exactly is it a problem if someone wants to do an adult roleplay? Especially for some actors--I can name off the top of my head plenty of actors that have shows/movies where they are acting out adult scenes. If I'm using, say, Natalie Portman as my faceclaim, why is it so weird to imagine my OC in an adult scene when the actress has been in Black Swan and probably plenty of other films with 'adult' scenes in them? The only reason I can see this being an actual problem is if I'm directly contacting the actor and trying to shove this in their face.
Well, that actor did not really give permission to do that smut scene in that story. They gave permission for that movie or show that they did, but not fan fiction. It's also weird if the OC is considered a self-insertion and not a genuine OC. If it's to imagine the role-player with the actor, that's even more weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back