Anime & Manga Anime characters you would write a 1000+ word essay about and why?

s0ufflecake

da milky 🍼
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It's a weird question, but I'm just curious.

I have a bunch of characters that I like from many anime I've watched, but I don't have one myself, ironically. Lol.

It's a weird question, but I'm just curious.

I have a bunch of characters that I like from many anime I've watched, but I don't have one myself, ironically. Lol.
I’d write about Monkey D Luffy, his quirks, his personality and how as a character he makes one piece charming.

I’d write about Monkey D Luffy, his quirks, his personality and how as a character he makes one piece charming.
Ah.. One Piece. I've watched parts of it on TV as a kid, but I haven't really watched all of it. Or even completed a season.

But yeah, Luffy does sound like a interesting character. Especially if you would like to write a essay about him.

frieren
IMG_0728.gif
frieren is one of my favorite characters, she's someone who takes her time well and just wants to experience things. she can be a bit dense emotionally, but i love her for it!!

gareki
IMG_0729.gif
he's one of my teenage crushes!! i remember squealing everytime i see him on screen, i was on a karneval brainrot when i was in my teens XD

he's done a lot to survive, but then i'm happy he met the circus to help him discover what family means.

moriarty
IMG_0730.gif
his backstory is very interesting!! and if i had a nickel for every time a pair of blonde brothers committed arson to their own house, i'd have two nickels... which is not a lot but it's still a weird coincidence XD

found family but make it villainous

kambe
IMG_0731.gif
HEHEHEHEHE I JUST REMEMBERED THAT THIS MAN WAS MY ROMAN EMPIRE DURING THE HEIGHT OF PANDEMIC. MY HEAD IS FULL OF THOUGHTS BEING THOUGHT I LOVE THIS MAN SO MUCH!!!

edward
IMG_0732.gif
my og meowmeow, my childhood crush since i was 9, edward elric! i will gladly write a 1000+ essay on how this kid needs therapy <3

Last edited:
frieren
View attachment 1152003
frieren is one of my favorite characters, she's someone who takes her time well and just wants to experience things. she can be a bit dense emotionally, but i love her for it!!

gareki
View attachment 1152004
he's one of my teenage crushes!! i remember squealing everytime i see him on screen, i was on a karneval brainrot when i was in my teens XD

he's done a lot to survive, but then i'm happy he met the circus to help him discover what family means.

moriarty
View attachment 1152005
his backstory is very interesting!! and if i had a nickel for every time a pair of blonde brothers committed arson to their own house, i'd have two nickels... which is not a lot but it's still a weird coincidence XD

found family but make it villainous

kambe
View attachment 1152006
HEHEHEHEHE I JUST REMEMBERED THAT THIS MAN WAS MY ROMAN EMPIRE DURING THE HEIGHT OF PANDEMIC. MY HEAD IS FULL OF THOUGHTS BEING THOUGHT I LOVE THIS MAN SO MUCH!!!

edward
View attachment 1152007
my og meowmeow, my childhood crush since i was 9, edward elric! i will gladly write a 1000+ essay on how this kid needs therapy <3
Yea Ed needs a therapy a lot of it especially after a certain episode 👀

I have two anime characters I'd write an essay on and it would be:
Danzo Shimura from Naruto
99f353966dbb244ca37dc6bfc94cdd952f009b72_00.gif

and
Nnoitora Gilga from Bleach.
bleach-anime.gif

The main thing I would express in my essay is how they're both more complex characters than their respective fandoms give either credit for. In both instances, they're villains who are easy to hate on the surface level and write off as being the worse of he worse, but there is depth to them that alot of people don't see that actually make them the most compelling in their respective series.

Gon and deku.

Deku because his plot could have been so much better instead of rushing to get him mastered to ofa in a year. And gon because you could easily write a 3000+ word essay on just his personality, let alone nen

Miki Sayaka
sayaka.gif
One of my favorite anime I've seen in the past decade (though I know it came out before that!) is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I could write so much about Sayaka's motivations, mindset, psychology, and the way her unbending morals harm her more than anyone else. Love this girl and I feel like she is super misunderstood!

Literally any of the girls from School-Live!
school-live!.gif
Okay, maybe not Wakasa Yuuri as much -- I love her but I don't have nearly as much to say about her -- but Takeya Yuki and Ebisuzawa Kurumi especially have fascinating ways of dealing with their situation and incredible character arcs, while Naoki Miki's character arc and relationships with Kei, Taroumaru, and Yuki would also be a blast to talk about and explore.

Masakaki
masakaki.gif
SWERVE AWAY FROM THE GIRLS, have this weirdo instead! Masakaki took up so much of my brain back in 2012-2013, and he still kind of owns my soul. I have so much to say about how, while the Financial District is inherently corrupt and needed to be brought down, Masakaki himself isn't exactly a villain, and how he has absolutely no idea how to react to or express real emotions, particularly negative ones. C – Control/C for Control/whatever you want to call it is a weird, weird anime and I could talk for ages about this particular weirdo character!

Saburo Mutsumi
saburo.gif
Finally is a very old anime love for me! Saburo from Keroro Gunso is a character I have thought a ton about on and off over the past 20-ish years. Any essay would probably incorporate mostly anime details but also dip into the manga, especially for his backstory (RAISED BY ALIENS, REALLY?), and his relationship with Kururu would be a key component. I could write a lot about how this kid ironically, while seeming like a cool and sweet mysterious guy, was actually a significantly worse person before meeting his BFF, despite said BFF being called "the most unlikable guy" by a lot of people repeatedly, and how he's not actually great at knowing how to care healthily even after improving. Very fun character who's in the background so much but I think about a lot.

Miki Sayaka
View attachment 1152560
One of my favorite anime I've seen in the past decade (though I know it came out before that!) is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I could write so much about Sayaka's motivations, mindset, psychology, and the way her unbending morals harm her more than anyone else. Love this girl and I feel like she is super misunderstood!

Literally any of the girls from School-Live!
View attachment 1152562
Okay, maybe not Wakasa Yuuri as much -- I love her but I don't have nearly as much to say about her -- but Takeya Yuki and Ebisuzawa Kurumi especially have fascinating ways of dealing with their situation and incredible character arcs, while Naoki Miki's character arc and relationships with Kei, Taroumaru, and Yuki would also be a blast to talk about and explore.

Masakaki
View attachment 1152563
SWERVE AWAY FROM THE GIRLS, have this weirdo instead! Masakaki took up so much of my brain back in 2012-2013, and he still kind of owns my soul. I have so much to say about how, while the Financial District is inherently corrupt and needed to be brought down, Masakaki himself isn't exactly a villain, and how he has absolutely no idea how to react to or express real emotions, particularly negative ones. C – Control/C for Control/whatever you want to call it is a weird, weird anime and I could talk for ages about this particular weirdo character!

Saburo Mutsumi
View attachment 1152564
Finally is a very old anime love for me! Saburo from Keroro Gunso is a character I have thought a ton about on and off over the past 20-ish years. Any essay would probably incorporate mostly anime details but also dip into the manga, especially for his backstory (RAISED BY ALIENS, REALLY?), and his relationship with Kururu would be a key component. I could write a lot about how this kid ironically, while seeming like a cool and sweet mysterious guy, was actually a significantly worse person before meeting his BFF, despite said BFF being called "the most unlikable guy" by a lot of people repeatedly, and how he's not actually great at knowing how to care healthily even after improving. Very fun character who's in the background so much but I think about a lot.
Sayaka's a REALLY well-written character ngl.

Thorfinn from Vinland Saga. It’d be easy because he has so many layers and it’s a great redemption story.

Dear God there's too many. There are even some shows, such as Code Geass, Fate, Madoka Magica, Re:Creations, Banished From the Hero's Party and Frieren, where a good chunk of the cast has at least some aspect about which I could really talk about. But, to name some of the characters:

Code Geass - Stock full of philosophical themes, a mixture of of various anime genres, and a grand scale yet very personal plot. There's a lot of characters with a fair amount of depth here.
81a25f812391b887221209458c3a8961.jpg

There's a lot to talk about with Lelouch. His geass power alone (the power to give a single command that a person follows no matter what) could make up for quite a lot, in what it can be used for and how, in its usage from Lelouch, symbolism related to it, philosophical questions it implies, could already be quite a write-up. But there is a lot more to his character, his motivations, his growth and the ultimate conclusion that led him to, his general personality with nuances and seeming contradictions, all those internal conflicts despite a steady resolve. There's even individual controversial scenes like the joke scene.
d765b5cca90c717a4505de2ad2ad5152.jpg

Charles's worldview guides his action and the nation he leads, Britannia. His disdain for deceit despite employing it, his true allies and motives, his belief in the fundamental unequality of humanity and resulting 'might makes right' sort of philosophy, could all be quite explored.

Oshi No Ko - There's a ton of characters that could be discussed in Oshi No Ko, but the titular twins would most be the most likey to really prove material for in-depth writing.
public

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Putting them together cause their reasons are so similar. Oshi No Ko explores these two reincarnated twins, at least briefly touching upon the idea that even though they reincarnated with memories from their past lives, having the body of a baby, young child or teenager will still have a mental effect on you and how you think, such as memory development as a baby or the teenager hormones. And this is not to mention the interesting combination of roles Aqua and Ruby represent. Aqua an adult, doctor, lots of life experience, reincarnated as the child of an idol he admired due to his patient's own admiration for her. On the other hand, Ruby was a child with cancer such that she had to stay in the hospital and missed out on a good chunk of her life. Even more to explore of the dynamics this creates in their relation with their own lives is added onto after the episode 1 major twist which I will not spoil right now.

Fate - Fate is crammed full of adaptations of ancient mythology and legends, as well as real historical figures. Its accuracies and innacuracies, the way it tries to represent the legends via the character's design and powers, not to mention some really interesting characters even outside servants, this isn't even touching the tip of the iceberg in the characters from Fate I could add to this list, especially if I wasn't just counting anime.
353aa17f481ff0a8968dd3e3683ab57c.jpg

YOROKOBE, SHOUNEN Kotomine Kirei is a delightfully interesting villain. I can't say anything more without some degree of spoiling, so YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

------
SPOILERS

A man of many talents born from naturally picking things and nearly mastering them, but ultimately finding no fulfillment in them. His true desire being fueled by an extreme sadism he slowly uncovers and wants to refuse until he embraces (even his alternate slice of life self serves a soup so spicy people pass out), his immense power and talent as church executor. His role behind the scenes, his zombie-like state, among many other things would be fuel to talk about Kirei. And of course, that iconic voice.
50166978e1cb9eec7f8625c72273d995.jpg

Shirou is a pretty unique exploration of the standard idea of the protagonist who wants to save everyone. The origin, the contradictions, the ultimate results in both a practicality level and even just one's personal happiness if one even tries to succeed with it, the show looks at it in all kinds of angles. It treats Shirou's ambition to save people as a heroic ambition, but at the same time also as some kind of clinical condition, a manifestation of a survivor's complex. On these grounds alone there is a lot that could be talked about Shirou Emiya. There is also his relationship with Saber, fate's version of king Arthur, particularly due to Saber's previous relation to Shirou's adopted father and the fact that in the fate continuity, king Arthur was a girl.

SPOILERS FOR FATE

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Shirou's reality marble, Unlimited Blade Works is also another major factor in how much one could discuss. It's meaning and relation to his character, as well as just its potential and mechanics could have someone drone on for a long time. Shirou's ultimate fate in becoming the heroic spirit EMIYA due to his pact with Alaysha, his life and ultimate fate, and so on. There's a reason this man steals the spotlight even outside of his own show, like his badassery in the Oath Under Snow movie. Oh and there's plenty more other versions of him as well.
c90be74f7c4cbd4ae24849423b53591e.jpg

Gilgamesh is not the kind of character you'd think people would like. He's an arrogant selfish b*st*rd who thinks and has no qualms about stating how superior he think he is to all the 'mongrels' around him. His abilities are so ridiculously busted that the only reason he doesn't win every fight is because of he is too arrogant to try and just refuses to believe in the futures he sees with his own foresight abilities where he loses. He quite literally thinks he owns everything, is thus extremely entitled, and is directly or indirectly responsible for quite a number of atrocious and tragic acts in the show. And yet... he is one of the most beloved characters in the whole franchise.

There is a sincerity to his arrogance that really communities how it's not unfounded and it's really a set of different values. His few instances of helping or showing respect, even if minor, go a long way of selling this. Adding to this is another version of him where he is more mature, and its displayed how he retains his belief in his own superiority but this in fact makes him a better king due to believing that his superiority is the origin of his great burden and responsibility as king. It also helps he has one of the coolest and most iconic abilities in all of anime, Gate of Babylon. Simply put, the intricacies of how this character that should on paper come off as a pretty 2-dimensional overpowered villain somehow works into making him one of the most beloved characters in Fate are a fascinating topic.
g0dadwg19d891.jpg

From the real history he is based on, to how the history and legends translate to Vlad's powers and form in fate, and even the fact that Fate/Apocrypha being set in his homeland of Romania gives him an advantage in power, there is much to talk about in Vlad. However, by far the most intriguing part about him to me is his relationship to the legend of Dracula. His entire goal in seeking the wish-granting grail is to wipe the tale of Dracula to try to clear his legacy from what he views as a terrible taint upon it, to be identified with such a monster so deeply in the cultural consciousness. Furthermore, because legends affect a servant's form in fate, Vlad actually has the power to transform himself into a vampire, a power he adamantly refuses to use due to his hatred of the legend.
3526a620f41507a86a6eba09e7c0e3e0.jpg

Amakusa is one of my favorite villains in fiction. His history and abilities are related to this, but the biggest reason is his villainous plan. His goal is to save humanity, and this isn't metaphorical, a lie or even some untenable thing - in fact he has a very concrete way to achieve it, which he knows for certain does exist, how it works, and has plans and actions to get there. Furthermore he is incredibly sincere and recruits his allies have them agree to work for him. No black mail, no lies, and yes there is some manipulation but mostly in the sense that any convincing / persuading involves some degree of that. He is ultimately stopped right as he is about to achieve his goal by the plot-armored Gary Stu of a protagonist, but its really interesting seeing seeing a clear-cut example of a villain being defeated with the world's salvation being thrown aside in the process and he as a character is all the more interesting for having such a goal and plan.
Uryuu.Ryuunosuke.full.953771.jpg

Uryuu is a deranged psychopathic serial killer. In truth there wouldn't seem to be much more so such a character, but in his interactions with the Caster servant Bluebeard, we uncover a whole lot of Uryuu's worldview. His religiosity in particular strikes a cord with caster and is a point of interest for me, in that in his own twisted way, he views the world's beauty as evidence of a creator... though he also views said creator as one who loves the world, in both virtue and sin, and is as appreciative of tragedy as he is of happiness. Wanting to lterally see his own guts is also a twist that carries implications that at the very least bring me some curiosity.

Eminence in Shadow
61ikxak3mDL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Cid Kagenou AKA Shadow is one of the main things that makes Eminence in Shadow such a great show. His obsession with embodying this trope creates an incredibly conductive mindset for this kind of story, down to one of the biggest gags in it being the fact that Cid doesn't realize everyone else isn't just pretending like he is, because he doesn't realize his made up BS accidentally guessed a real behind-the-scenes conspiracy. His misunderstandings, his attempts to play around, his general disconnected attitude from the seriousness of a scene... And even then, there is something still deeper in his separation of what 'matters' and 'doesn't matter'. Adding to this, Cid thrives in a low-power world where his mastery of martial arts and combat techniques can really shine with the refinement of modern developments in those fields compared to the "crude and unrefined" (by comparison) swordplay of that world. The way a relatively lower power character but with skill and technique can work in such a setting all the more effectively is another great aspect for discussion with Cid.

Monogatari- Monogatari has quite the number of characters that could generate quite a bit of discussion, on account of the kind of themes and ideas it wants to discuss, and how many characters are in concept tied to these abstract ideas or themes.
ORxsPByYbMie86itg5bwsYt3hlmlp-Fn5yeAsinwYWdPNjfB2B7VYzzD3bhnp55zjgQ0-47tLpC15EzV0RcoC1ozpyytsFrwFHLHza2BrwGzlxxt9B1c8k8kxJMd_Q5_4Q

Shinobu has a bit of everything. She's a badass, mysterious, cute, mature, childish, funny, wise and scary character, and everything else works seamlessly and makes sense. Her vampirism acting within these vague conceptual bounds where a being's very nature is to some extent dictated by the perception of another, not to mention the incredible powers, her personality in particular this personal shield of pride and her backstory, let's just say this is one of my favorite characters in fiction period, if not my actual favorite character.
Deishuu.Kaiki.600.3491758.jpg

A money-grubbing deceiver in Monogatari quite captivating from a worldview and character arc standpoint alike.

Made in Abyss - Honestly, if anything really deserves all the praise in Made in Abyss, that'd be worldbuilding. It's an absolutely stunning world visually and conceptually.
Still, there are quite some standouts among the cast.

suoniko-faputa-made-in-abyss.jpg

Aside from being an adorable fluffball, Faputa's goals and capabilities are rather interesting, but more than anything the process of how she came to be is the most horrifying yet amazing part about this character, the way I see it.
Bondrewd.600.4069872.jpg

He is fascinating as a character. He is utterly obsessed with pursuing science and knowledge, and learning the depths and mysteries of the abyss, but unlike many characters of his type, he is neither truly cold nor someone who'd only harm others in pursuit of his goal. He shows genuine love and care, and even considers it a requirement in many experiments, and he's also more than willing to try to experiment on himself if that's what it takes to advance. His contribution in-universe and to the story, as well as his position in both and his mindset, all make him quite the character to talk about.

Lyrical Nanoha
60f4fa80bfcac91a3f7e9ed515c393ad.jpg

The biggest reason Nanoha is on this list, aside from the magitech she uses, is the kind of arcs and development she undergoes. We don't just get to see her go from normal girl to magical girl and have adventures and mature there... we get to see her actually grow up and be an adult over the seasons, we get to see her adopt a child, and we get to see her reveal the secret to her parents and get hired by the space-time Bureau, and eventually train a new generation of magical girls.

Madoka Magica - Description
Kyubee.600.2059282.jpg

Yet another villain with fascinating worldviews, and a desire to save the world or the universe in this case. Kyubey's twisted logic and lack of emotions are so fittingly alien I feel someone taking it seriously can't help thinking 'well, he kinda has a point, as absolutely awful as it is'.
homura-akemi-pmmm-fanart-e1657143505695.png

MASSIVE SPOILERS

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Time-loop tragedies, gotta love 'em. What's more the changes in her character, the things she learns, and the way it comes affect the story - both in Homura's choices in the final timeline, the impact it has on Madoka's power, and the ultimate conclusion of the show and the movie.
iafPvrXHdaPV7Dg6sWog5so2WHKyVUcZHo1saE7_Iy4.jpg

It's quite something how everything about this character just comes together for her own downfall, like a Greek tragedy.

Gushing Over Magical Girls
2c897062f2edc2fbda0ad3c4df004dbf.jpg

Hiiragi is a sadist and loves magical girls. A twisted love. As the show moves, Hiragi gradually embraces more and more her Magia Baiser persona, where she simply lets loose her desires and her love for the magical girls, in the attempt to cause them suffering. She wants to hurt them, yet she doesn't want to hurt them. She intentionally makes herself the pantomime villain, and despises nothing more than magical girls faltering in the image she has of them. There doesn't seem to be much, but I think one could go down a real rabbit hole with this character. Furthermore, her powers reflect her desires as well leading to some interesting moments.
__venalita_morino_korisu_and_nero_alice_mahou_shoujo_ni_akogarete_drawn_by_yinghuahua__sample-e82698c02c734c2528b51f6e88af0cc2.jpg

Korisu AKA Nero Alice is akin to Utena in the sense that she is a villain that doesn't truly want to hurt anyone. She's a kid, a lonely kid raised by a single mother who is kind and caring but often busy. It's very interesting the way Looking Up to Magical Girls uses the fact that she is a kid as both a limitation to her powers, and informing her personality and motivation, and thus the way she goes about doing things. No matter how it looks on the surface, with her there's always the undertone of a kid picking up toys and playing pretend.

Talentless Nana
f4a22c549b6a934509556141aad0135f.jpg

Immortality at the cost of your memories. As someone who loves the concept of immortality, it's interesting to see the effect that and the lack of memories have on this character, and how he copes with it.

Overlord - Overlord is an extremely detailed setting, and just about anything in it could be a seriously long talk/discussion.
hd-overlord-undead-ainz-ooal-gown-art-bu1b926jybgbimo0.jpg

Ains has all these clashing personas, but they are not just masks as they gradually fade into one another. The sheer level of detail in Overlord gives plenty to talk about with Ainz, but a really key aspect is the persona Ainz puts on versus his new instincts and nature as an undead versus his gamer human consciousness.

BIG SPOILERS

Initially appearing, and quite intentionally so given his dialogue and appearance (short, fat, very clearly evil smug, not particularly attractive, second prince trying to get the throne). Him wanting the throne and scheming with a known opportunist, as well as calling the sweet lovely princess a "monster" certainly doesn't help that impression. However, we get to gradually see as he makes his political maneuvering that it's less that he is evil and more that he is savvy and rather aware of the surrounding corruption. He proves to be competent, aware of his duties, brave and someone who goes above and beyond in his role as a son and as prince.

Re:Creators - Until recently, I considered Re:Creators my favorite anime, and a great deal of that is how I found it such a thematically fascinating anime, which is also found in its characters.
re-creators-altair-re-creators-digital-art-anime-girls-anime-hd-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Altair's character is... not that complex, honestly. I wouldn't call it shallow, but nonetheless, it's not what makes her so interesting. No, it's her conceptual nature (as in the kind of being she is and the origin of her powers), combined with the kind of antagonist she is and her goals. She wants to blow up every world out of revenge, and despite her extreme degree of powers due to hack powers, she actually has to have other characters clash in order to sufficiently cause the collapse she desires. So she's forced to use more indirect methods, but putting any kind of permanent stop to her still requires a plan that can overcome the kind of advantages she has.
Kirameki.Mamika.600.2388759.jpg

In many ways the most interesting character and character arc in Re:Creators. Mamika is a character from a magical girl anime for little kids, with all the tropes that come with it - The absence of real lasting injuries or damage, as well as possibility of redemption of human-like villains, to name a couple. The way a character who lived in a world with those kinds of innate rules being brought to reality and having to face the fact that her giant heart-shaped explosion is causing massive damage and potential casualties, it creates a fascinating journey of self-discovery and thematic exploration.
HD-wallpaper-re-creators-anime-girls-magane-chikuj%C5%8Din-thumbnail.jpg

Magane is quite intriguing in her ability and her beliefs. She plays the role of a wild card in the show, doing whatever she wants and messing with people for the fun of it. She has some interesting thoughts on lies, values and a big nose of nihilism. At the same she seems to have a side that can be moved despite how uncontrollable she seems, if nothing else than by those that try to understand her and not impede her. A strange respect. Her ability is likewise odd, inverting the denial of her lies to make them reality.

Re:Zero - As one might image, a time-loop show is really conducive to have deep character exploration. It's almost a requirement giving the whole way the plot works is by unveiling more about the characters and setting to solve the proverbial 'puzzle' on how to get the best possible outcome (and survive).
Natsuki.Subaru.full.3330394.jpg

The development Subaru undergoes is no joke. In all seasons, and often in loops, Subaru doesn't just have to find more about others, but also about himself. Understand his own flaws and how they cause his downfall. Understand how to overcome them, and become a better person. In doing that we also get to see his flaws and their nuances.

If you read what I've been writing so far, then you probably already know how much I adore these characters with alien viewpoints. All the witches are missing some aspect of a human personality. They may appear or even be really nice, but there's always some part about them that's quite twisted. I chose Edchina here in part because it's the one we get the most screentime and attention for in the anime, but also because of her relationship with other characters and how her boundless curiosity affected those in both positive and negative ways.

Faraway Paladin - Faraway Paladin has some great classic epic fantasy vibes. This is reflected in the characters. At the same time, its grounding gives a sense of realis, and its treatment of its pantheon is also one of the reasons I love this IP.
the-faraway-paladin-season-2-aims-for-fall-2023-release-23041404.jpg

A very classic fantasy hero, despite this being an isekai. I think there is a lot to see both as someone who loves fantasy and about life in the way William approaches the problems that come his way, based on the teachings of his three adopted parents. Adding to this, while it doesn't come up a lot, there's a really nice integration of the very fact he was reincarnated and how he was in his past life in how he currently lives and serves the goddess he pledged himself too.

Stagnate, the god of undeath is a villain but really interesting in that they are another who truly desires good for people. They hate the unfairness of life and death. They hate seeing the potential of people, particularly those worthy of being heroes, wasted. As far as Stagnate is concerned, trapping people in an undead body is nothing short of offering them eternal life, to take away the need to ever say goodbye. As a god, Stagnate is always a very distant character no matter how personal the conflict William has with them, but even though they are enemies, the desire to not see William's potential wasted can still spur Stagnate to aid William, creating a sense of respect between them.
35edd7e36ddd5d06dd837cb589d375db.jpg

Valarcica is an ancient dragon who fought and is feared by the gods themselves. What puts him on this list is not his power, but his cunning. He isn't just a massive towering lizard who can evaporate your very soul with his fire breath, requires special weaponry to even stand a chance of wounding him a bit and can even use ancient forgotten spells, he is a tricky opponent he is a wisened by his old age and immediately resorts to trickery and manipulation, abusing his foes fear of him to tempt them into taking the easy way out, abandon their fight and vigor, use him only to later be betrayed by the temptation they succumbed to. He has a deep respect for worthy foes, and unquenchable desire for destruction and war. As far as evil dragons go, this is one terrifying and fascinating antagonist without bending out of that role.

Banished From The Hero's Party, I Decided To Live A Quiet Life In The Countryside - This whole anime is fertile ground for extremely interesting characters because of the way the setting works. In it you receive blessings which attribute a certain role to you. They both give you the skills necessary to fulfil that role, surpassing anyone who would try it without those blessings, but also a strong, personality-warping compulsion to fulfill that role. Aside from the cute slice of life elements and blooming romance, the story quite enjoys exploring questions like what would it be like to have a role you don't want?
Tisse.Garland.full.2859738.jpg

I gotta include the incredibly cute spider pet Tisse carries around. Tisse is a replacement added to the hero's party and becomes the hero Ruti's best friend. She is also someone with the assassin blessing. It turns out because blessings like this exist, the assassin's guild was formed to try to give legitimacy to them, prevent them from being doomed to devolve into feral criminals and instead try to regulate their activity and make it a force for good. Tisse is deeply emotionally attached to these rules.
yande.re%201034641%20sample%20armor%20ruti_ragnason%20shin_no_nakama_janai_to_yuusha_no_party_wo_oidasareta_no_de_henkyou_de_slow_life_suru_koto_ni_shimashita%20tagme.jpg

The girl with the blessing of the hero. Ruti's emotions are surpressed due to her blessing and she struggles to be free from this. She struggles in silence, as she suffers the compulsion to save people even when she is aware it is absolutely impossible and it will get her killed. She has little escape, since the hero's basic necessities are removed by the blessing, including the need to sleep.
SPOILERS
When she manages to get her blessing changed, it's interesting to see the kind of things she tries to do now that she has some semblance of her freedom back.
p26625463_e_h9_aa.jpg

Van also attains the blessing of the hero, after his bishop blessing suddenly changes. Raised his whole life in praise of the god Demis who grants the blessings, Van is fanatically obsessed with that whole system and hasn't developed or matured enough to handle the changes that come with the blessing. He becomes a frightening antagonist that is extremely difficult to reason with and moves about with both unmatched power and no care for friend or foe except as fodder to improve his hero blessing. How this perspective is affected by his previous and new circumstances is a great arc.

Executioner and Her Way of Life - The world this show takes place in has had numerous encounters with people brought from another world, having influenced its lfie and culture irreparably. However, such people also eventually have their mind warped by the very powers they bring and become disasters. The way this affects the natives and the otherwolders alike is a matter of interest, but one character in particular explores this more gradually.
Tokitou.Akari.full.2697635.jpg

Another case of a character going back in time, this time to try to help the girl she fell in love kill her before her time powers completely consumes her mind and memories and she potentially destroys the world. She kind of lives this double life acting as her own self while secretly being her future self.

My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!
latest

The infamous protagonist of the series, the embodiment of the concept of the end. Anything he wills to is brought to a final end - the most basic form is instant death from which there is no recovery. If he 'kills' your eyes, even if you rip them out and grow new ones you'll still be blind. But his powers extends far beyond this. The way he thinks, the extent of his power, and the rules he decides for himself to limit his use due to his backstory all make Yogiri actually a really interesting protagonist despite the lack of stakes that his matter-of-fact invincibility his powers confer to him.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End - Thematic and personality of nuances of Frieren is truly impressive. There are all kinds of characters in Frieren and they are often quite deep, I'd say, though not all essay-worthy. One category in particular, demons, is one I'd definitely go on a rant about. I like that for once demons really are evil and I think it's really interesting the way they are evil and the mindset that gives them. There's even more interesting characters in the manga too, though this time I'm only going over anime content.
Serie.%28Sousou.no.Frieren%29.600.4128101.jpg

Not a ton is known about Serie yet, but a few things are for sure that already make her quite interesting. She's old enough to have met the goddess, she's known as a "living grimoire", yet for a long time she couldn't even picture herself living in a peaceful world. She went on to create the Continental Magic association, spreading knowledge of magic and ranking mages. She is quite petty and childish, yet firmly believes her intuition is always right, so she follows through with what it tells her, no matter how much it displeases her. There is this contrast to her character, and at the same time there is this understanding that for all her power and skill, Serie is limited in what she can actually do by the very mindset which brought her to where she is. She experiments to try to break out of it, but is so sure of herself that inadvertently she traps herself within these limitations.
Aura.%28Sousou.no.Frieren%29.600.4055786.jpg

Aura is here chosen as an exemplary demon who perfectly demonstrates their innate advantages and their flaws alike, with a bit of aid from her minions. She also has an extremely interesting ability that spurred the imagination of the internet, often with rather flawed 'I can fix her' logic.
latest

Its a shame I can't bring up manga stuff, because there is so much great content for him there. That being said, even from what's seen in the anime one already gets hinted at Denken's wisdom and badassery. He is extremely pragmatic, quick to change strategies to adapt to the situation, based on his deep understanding of people, mages and political maneuvering, and he is not short in options- form various kinds of magic, to money and influence, to persuasion and FIST. There is a lot one could over in his way of thinking in any given situation.
%C3%9Cbel.600.4112245.jpg

Ubel's main point of interest for me is the way she uses magic and the possibilities for it. Her mindset is such that she doesn't outright learn spells. Instead, she instinctively uses other people's spells via using the image of that person's mindset to recreate their nature onto a spell. This has two major implications, aside from the great reportoir of magic it gives her access to. First, she's a psychopathic killer who outright needs to empathize with people, a contradiction almost which really creates an interesting dynamic. Second, because magic in that setting is based on visualization, Ubel's magic can do things others can't because their reason would impede them, whereas Ubel is able to get past that because of how things are intuitive. If you have a spell that can only destroy red things, and you have something that looks red but you know isn't, you can't destroy it with magic. But Ubel can, because things that look red are intuitively red - even if you know otherwise consciously.

Tearmoon Empire

Princess Mia is a selfish and entitled brat, and very much fits the villainess mold, although this isn't really an otome game story. She's also not exactly the brightest tool in the shed. After a rebellion in her empire starts and she is executed on the guillotine, she finds herself back in time and tries to correct her mistakes through a series of hilarious misunderstandings as she tries to fix the problems she knew from her past life so as to prevent the rebellion and her own execution, and ends up being taken as some saintly wise figure that could do no wrong and is always scheming some grand plan for the good of the empire and everyone. What makes Mia such an interesting character is that she hasn't really turned over a new leaf. She's actually still incredibly self-centered and entitled, and she's definitely not any smarter or less petty. Her core hasn't changed that much, but out of pure self-interest she is forced into a position in which she has to solve all these huge problems people have, and she has to learn about things or at least give power and a voice to people whom she'd have previously dismissed. It's not for the sake of other people, but she's still trying her damnest to help other people, and where she lacks in the intelligence to do so, she has the luck.

That being said, it's not as though she didn't change at all. In a lot of ways she appreciates life and the small pleasures a lot more after spending weeks in a prison cell with guards mistreating her. She learned a number of lessons on at least a barebones amount of humility in certain ways, though she still gets carried away, she's a lot more keen to learn things to survive in case of a rebellion, and above all, she's really learned to be grateful for the people who helped her, namely her clumsy maid Anne, who was the last person to continue visiting her while she was in prison.

My Teen Romantic Comedy is Wrong as Expected - Oreigairu is full of characters with intriguing mindsets, backstories and relationship dynamics. Unfortunately there are things it wants to imply which I feel go a little over my head, so I'm gonna stick to the one I feel confident I can properly describe the depth of.
HD-wallpaper-hikigaya-hachiman-anime-oregairu-yahari-yahari-ore-yuigahama-yukino-yukinoshita.jpg

Hikigaya is a disillusioned teenager, simultaneously too mature for his age and too immature as a person. His worldview is more comical / sad than interesting, but his approach to problems is certainly intriguing and makes for a great character arc. Namely in how it impacts his relationship, and how at first he can impress people via his unconventional solutions to solving problems, but often avoiding dealing with the root of the problem, or else burning the rest of the field along with it. As such, as impressive as his solutions are, half-assing a problem eventually comes back to bite him and he begins to search for more substantial, more real, more genuine out of his life and relationships.

Youjo Senki
Tanya.Degurechaff.full.2357361.jpg

Tanya is... how do I put it. She's practical. Ruthless. She has an alien sense of values based entirely on order and rules. The spirit of the rule matters little too. Exploring the way she looks a things, and how such an evil protagonist can work so well is certainly an interesting topic.

Yuusha, Yamemasu
latest

MAJOR SPOILERS

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Turns out Leon is a biological weapon created to fight the demons long ago before humanity's civilization regressed to a medieval stage due to the apocalyptic invasion. Each one had a unique power and his was hyper-adaptation, eventually becoming a being so powerful he couldn't possibly be defeated and would continue for eternity having to save humanity due the directive implanted on his mind. It ran so deep that during a brief period of peace without invasions, Leon almost went mad and tried to cause a world-threatening event himself so he could save the world as he was programmed to do.

Wow that took quite a bit longer than I expected.

I like a lot of characters, but if I need to write essay of them it would definitely be Rudeus Greyrat. Dude has the most comprehensive seconds life of any anime and the story greatly explore it. Not only that, it is actually psychologically accurate and have a great themes for it.

I like a lot of characters, but if I need to write essay of them it would definitely be Rudeus Greyrat. Dude has the most comprehensive seconds life of any anime and the story greatly explore it. Not only that, it is actually psychologically accurate and have a great themes for it.

True, ya might need a whole essay just to explain the panty worshipping to people you recommend it to

Dear God there's too many. There are even some shows, such as Code Geass, Fate, Madoka Magica, Re:Creations, Banished From the Hero's Party and Frieren, where a good chunk of the cast has at least some aspect about which I could really talk about. But, to name some of the characters:

Code Geass - Stock full of philosophical themes, a mixture of of various anime genres, and a grand scale yet very personal plot. There's a lot of characters with a fair amount of depth here.
81a25f812391b887221209458c3a8961.jpg

There's a lot to talk about with Lelouch. His geass power alone (the power to give a single command that a person follows no matter what) could make up for quite a lot, in what it can be used for and how, in its usage from Lelouch, symbolism related to it, philosophical questions it implies, could already be quite a write-up. But there is a lot more to his character, his motivations, his growth and the ultimate conclusion that led him to, his general personality with nuances and seeming contradictions, all those internal conflicts despite a steady resolve. There's even individual controversial scenes like the joke scene.
d765b5cca90c717a4505de2ad2ad5152.jpg

Charles's worldview guides his action and the nation he leads, Britannia. His disdain for deceit despite employing it, his true allies and motives, his belief in the fundamental unequality of humanity and resulting 'might makes right' sort of philosophy, could all be quite explored.

Oshi No Ko - There's a ton of characters that could be discussed in Oshi No Ko, but the titular twins would most be the most likey to really prove material for in-depth writing.
public

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Putting them together cause their reasons are so similar. Oshi No Ko explores these two reincarnated twins, at least briefly touching upon the idea that even though they reincarnated with memories from their past lives, having the body of a baby, young child or teenager will still have a mental effect on you and how you think, such as memory development as a baby or the teenager hormones. And this is not to mention the interesting combination of roles Aqua and Ruby represent. Aqua an adult, doctor, lots of life experience, reincarnated as the child of an idol he admired due to his patient's own admiration for her. On the other hand, Ruby was a child with cancer such that she had to stay in the hospital and missed out on a good chunk of her life. Even more to explore of the dynamics this creates in their relation with their own lives is added onto after the episode 1 major twist which I will not spoil right now.

Fate - Fate is crammed full of adaptations of ancient mythology and legends, as well as real historical figures. Its accuracies and innacuracies, the way it tries to represent the legends via the character's design and powers, not to mention some really interesting characters even outside servants, this isn't even touching the tip of the iceberg in the characters from Fate I could add to this list, especially if I wasn't just counting anime.
353aa17f481ff0a8968dd3e3683ab57c.jpg

YOROKOBE, SHOUNEN Kotomine Kirei is a delightfully interesting villain. I can't say anything more without some degree of spoiling, so YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

------
SPOILERS

A man of many talents born from naturally picking things and nearly mastering them, but ultimately finding no fulfillment in them. His true desire being fueled by an extreme sadism he slowly uncovers and wants to refuse until he embraces (even his alternate slice of life self serves a soup so spicy people pass out), his immense power and talent as church executor. His role behind the scenes, his zombie-like state, among many other things would be fuel to talk about Kirei. And of course, that iconic voice.
50166978e1cb9eec7f8625c72273d995.jpg

Shirou is a pretty unique exploration of the standard idea of the protagonist who wants to save everyone. The origin, the contradictions, the ultimate results in both a practicality level and even just one's personal happiness if one even tries to succeed with it, the show looks at it in all kinds of angles. It treats Shirou's ambition to save people as a heroic ambition, but at the same time also as some kind of clinical condition, a manifestation of a survivor's complex. On these grounds alone there is a lot that could be talked about Shirou Emiya. There is also his relationship with Saber, fate's version of king Arthur, particularly due to Saber's previous relation to Shirou's adopted father and the fact that in the fate continuity, king Arthur was a girl.

SPOILERS FOR FATE

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Shirou's reality marble, Unlimited Blade Works is also another major factor in how much one could discuss. It's meaning and relation to his character, as well as just its potential and mechanics could have someone drone on for a long time. Shirou's ultimate fate in becoming the heroic spirit EMIYA due to his pact with Alaysha, his life and ultimate fate, and so on. There's a reason this man steals the spotlight even outside of his own show, like his badassery in the Oath Under Snow movie. Oh and there's plenty more other versions of him as well.
c90be74f7c4cbd4ae24849423b53591e.jpg

Gilgamesh is not the kind of character you'd think people would like. He's an arrogant selfish b*st*rd who thinks and has no qualms about stating how superior he think he is to all the 'mongrels' around him. His abilities are so ridiculously busted that the only reason he doesn't win every fight is because of he is too arrogant to try and just refuses to believe in the futures he sees with his own foresight abilities where he loses. He quite literally thinks he owns everything, is thus extremely entitled, and is directly or indirectly responsible for quite a number of atrocious and tragic acts in the show. And yet... he is one of the most beloved characters in the whole franchise.

There is a sincerity to his arrogance that really communities how it's not unfounded and it's really a set of different values. His few instances of helping or showing respect, even if minor, go a long way of selling this. Adding to this is another version of him where he is more mature, and its displayed how he retains his belief in his own superiority but this in fact makes him a better king due to believing that his superiority is the origin of his great burden and responsibility as king. It also helps he has one of the coolest and most iconic abilities in all of anime, Gate of Babylon. Simply put, the intricacies of how this character that should on paper come off as a pretty 2-dimensional overpowered villain somehow works into making him one of the most beloved characters in Fate are a fascinating topic.
g0dadwg19d891.jpg

From the real history he is based on, to how the history and legends translate to Vlad's powers and form in fate, and even the fact that Fate/Apocrypha being set in his homeland of Romania gives him an advantage in power, there is much to talk about in Vlad. However, by far the most intriguing part about him to me is his relationship to the legend of Dracula. His entire goal in seeking the wish-granting grail is to wipe the tale of Dracula to try to clear his legacy from what he views as a terrible taint upon it, to be identified with such a monster so deeply in the cultural consciousness. Furthermore, because legends affect a servant's form in fate, Vlad actually has the power to transform himself into a vampire, a power he adamantly refuses to use due to his hatred of the legend.
3526a620f41507a86a6eba09e7c0e3e0.jpg

Amakusa is one of my favorite villains in fiction. His history and abilities are related to this, but the biggest reason is his villainous plan. His goal is to save humanity, and this isn't metaphorical, a lie or even some untenable thing - in fact he has a very concrete way to achieve it, which he knows for certain does exist, how it works, and has plans and actions to get there. Furthermore he is incredibly sincere and recruits his allies have them agree to work for him. No black mail, no lies, and yes there is some manipulation but mostly in the sense that any convincing / persuading involves some degree of that. He is ultimately stopped right as he is about to achieve his goal by the plot-armored Gary Stu of a protagonist, but its really interesting seeing seeing a clear-cut example of a villain being defeated with the world's salvation being thrown aside in the process and he as a character is all the more interesting for having such a goal and plan.
Uryuu.Ryuunosuke.full.953771.jpg

Uryuu is a deranged psychopathic serial killer. In truth there wouldn't seem to be much more so such a character, but in his interactions with the Caster servant Bluebeard, we uncover a whole lot of Uryuu's worldview. His religiosity in particular strikes a cord with caster and is a point of interest for me, in that in his own twisted way, he views the world's beauty as evidence of a creator... though he also views said creator as one who loves the world, in both virtue and sin, and is as appreciative of tragedy as he is of happiness. Wanting to lterally see his own guts is also a twist that carries implications that at the very least bring me some curiosity.

Eminence in Shadow
61ikxak3mDL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Cid Kagenou AKA Shadow is one of the main things that makes Eminence in Shadow such a great show. His obsession with embodying this trope creates an incredibly conductive mindset for this kind of story, down to one of the biggest gags in it being the fact that Cid doesn't realize everyone else isn't just pretending like he is, because he doesn't realize his made up BS accidentally guessed a real behind-the-scenes conspiracy. His misunderstandings, his attempts to play around, his general disconnected attitude from the seriousness of a scene... And even then, there is something still deeper in his separation of what 'matters' and 'doesn't matter'. Adding to this, Cid thrives in a low-power world where his mastery of martial arts and combat techniques can really shine with the refinement of modern developments in those fields compared to the "crude and unrefined" (by comparison) swordplay of that world. The way a relatively lower power character but with skill and technique can work in such a setting all the more effectively is another great aspect for discussion with Cid.

Monogatari- Monogatari has quite the number of characters that could generate quite a bit of discussion, on account of the kind of themes and ideas it wants to discuss, and how many characters are in concept tied to these abstract ideas or themes.
ORxsPByYbMie86itg5bwsYt3hlmlp-Fn5yeAsinwYWdPNjfB2B7VYzzD3bhnp55zjgQ0-47tLpC15EzV0RcoC1ozpyytsFrwFHLHza2BrwGzlxxt9B1c8k8kxJMd_Q5_4Q

Shinobu has a bit of everything. She's a badass, mysterious, cute, mature, childish, funny, wise and scary character, and everything else works seamlessly and makes sense. Her vampirism acting within these vague conceptual bounds where a being's very nature is to some extent dictated by the perception of another, not to mention the incredible powers, her personality in particular this personal shield of pride and her backstory, let's just say this is one of my favorite characters in fiction period, if not my actual favorite character.
Deishuu.Kaiki.600.3491758.jpg

A money-grubbing deceiver in Monogatari quite captivating from a worldview and character arc standpoint alike.

Made in Abyss - Honestly, if anything really deserves all the praise in Made in Abyss, that'd be worldbuilding. It's an absolutely stunning world visually and conceptually.
Still, there are quite some standouts among the cast.
suoniko-faputa-made-in-abyss.jpg

Aside from being an adorable fluffball, Faputa's goals and capabilities are rather interesting, but more than anything the process of how she came to be is the most horrifying yet amazing part about this character, the way I see it.
Bondrewd.600.4069872.jpg

He is fascinating as a character. He is utterly obsessed with pursuing science and knowledge, and learning the depths and mysteries of the abyss, but unlike many characters of his type, he is neither truly cold nor someone who'd only harm others in pursuit of his goal. He shows genuine love and care, and even considers it a requirement in many experiments, and he's also more than willing to try to experiment on himself if that's what it takes to advance. His contribution in-universe and to the story, as well as his position in both and his mindset, all make him quite the character to talk about.

Lyrical Nanoha
60f4fa80bfcac91a3f7e9ed515c393ad.jpg

The biggest reason Nanoha is on this list, aside from the magitech she uses, is the kind of arcs and development she undergoes. We don't just get to see her go from normal girl to magical girl and have adventures and mature there... we get to see her actually grow up and be an adult over the seasons, we get to see her adopt a child, and we get to see her reveal the secret to her parents and get hired by the space-time Bureau, and eventually train a new generation of magical girls.

Madoka Magica - Description
Kyubee.600.2059282.jpg

Yet another villain with fascinating worldviews, and a desire to save the world or the universe in this case. Kyubey's twisted logic and lack of emotions are so fittingly alien I feel someone taking it seriously can't help thinking 'well, he kinda has a point, as absolutely awful as it is'.
homura-akemi-pmmm-fanart-e1657143505695.png

MASSIVE SPOILERS

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Time-loop tragedies, gotta love 'em. What's more the changes in her character, the things she learns, and the way it comes affect the story - both in Homura's choices in the final timeline, the impact it has on Madoka's power, and the ultimate conclusion of the show and the movie.
iafPvrXHdaPV7Dg6sWog5so2WHKyVUcZHo1saE7_Iy4.jpg

It's quite something how everything about this character just comes together for her own downfall, like a Greek tragedy.

Gushing Over Magical Girls
2c897062f2edc2fbda0ad3c4df004dbf.jpg

Hiiragi is a sadist and loves magical girls. A twisted love. As the show moves, Hiragi gradually embraces more and more her Magia Baiser persona, where she simply lets loose her desires and her love for the magical girls, in the attempt to cause them suffering. She wants to hurt them, yet she doesn't want to hurt them. She intentionally makes herself the pantomime villain, and despises nothing more than magical girls faltering in the image she has of them. There doesn't seem to be much, but I think one could go down a real rabbit hole with this character. Furthermore, her powers reflect her desires as well leading to some interesting moments.
__venalita_morino_korisu_and_nero_alice_mahou_shoujo_ni_akogarete_drawn_by_yinghuahua__sample-e82698c02c734c2528b51f6e88af0cc2.jpg

Korisu AKA Nero Alice is akin to Utena in the sense that she is a villain that doesn't truly want to hurt anyone. She's a kid, a lonely kid raised by a single mother who is kind and caring but often busy. It's very interesting the way Looking Up to Magical Girls uses the fact that she is a kid as both a limitation to her powers, and informing her personality and motivation, and thus the way she goes about doing things. No matter how it looks on the surface, with her there's always the undertone of a kid picking up toys and playing pretend.

Talentless Nana
f4a22c549b6a934509556141aad0135f.jpg

Immortality at the cost of your memories. As someone who loves the concept of immortality, it's interesting to see the effect that and the lack of memories have on this character, and how he copes with it.

Overlord - Overlord is an extremely detailed setting, and just about anything in it could be a seriously long talk/discussion.
hd-overlord-undead-ainz-ooal-gown-art-bu1b926jybgbimo0.jpg

Ains has all these clashing personas, but they are not just masks as they gradually fade into one another. The sheer level of detail in Overlord gives plenty to talk about with Ainz, but a really key aspect is the persona Ainz puts on versus his new instincts and nature as an undead versus his gamer human consciousness.

BIG SPOILERS

Initially appearing, and quite intentionally so given his dialogue and appearance (short, fat, very clearly evil smug, not particularly attractive, second prince trying to get the throne). Him wanting the throne and scheming with a known opportunist, as well as calling the sweet lovely princess a "monster" certainly doesn't help that impression. However, we get to gradually see as he makes his political maneuvering that it's less that he is evil and more that he is savvy and rather aware of the surrounding corruption. He proves to be competent, aware of his duties, brave and someone who goes above and beyond in his role as a son and as prince.

Re:Creators - Until recently, I considered Re:Creators my favorite anime, and a great deal of that is how I found it such a thematically fascinating anime, which is also found in its characters.
re-creators-altair-re-creators-digital-art-anime-girls-anime-hd-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Altair's character is... not that complex, honestly. I wouldn't call it shallow, but nonetheless, it's not what makes her so interesting. No, it's her conceptual nature (as in the kind of being she is and the origin of her powers), combined with the kind of antagonist she is and her goals. She wants to blow up every world out of revenge, and despite her extreme degree of powers due to hack powers, she actually has to have other characters clash in order to sufficiently cause the collapse she desires. So she's forced to use more indirect methods, but putting any kind of permanent stop to her still requires a plan that can overcome the kind of advantages she has.
Kirameki.Mamika.600.2388759.jpg

In many ways the most interesting character and character arc in Re:Creators. Mamika is a character from a magical girl anime for little kids, with all the tropes that come with it - The absence of real lasting injuries or damage, as well as possibility of redemption of human-like villains, to name a couple. The way a character who lived in a world with those kinds of innate rules being brought to reality and having to face the fact that her giant heart-shaped explosion is causing massive damage and potential casualties, it creates a fascinating journey of self-discovery and thematic exploration.
HD-wallpaper-re-creators-anime-girls-magane-chikuj%C5%8Din-thumbnail.jpg

Magane is quite intriguing in her ability and her beliefs. She plays the role of a wild card in the show, doing whatever she wants and messing with people for the fun of it. She has some interesting thoughts on lies, values and a big nose of nihilism. At the same she seems to have a side that can be moved despite how uncontrollable she seems, if nothing else than by those that try to understand her and not impede her. A strange respect. Her ability is likewise odd, inverting the denial of her lies to make them reality.

Re:Zero - As one might image, a time-loop show is really conducive to have deep character exploration. It's almost a requirement giving the whole way the plot works is by unveiling more about the characters and setting to solve the proverbial 'puzzle' on how to get the best possible outcome (and survive).
Natsuki.Subaru.full.3330394.jpg

The development Subaru undergoes is no joke. In all seasons, and often in loops, Subaru doesn't just have to find more about others, but also about himself. Understand his own flaws and how they cause his downfall. Understand how to overcome them, and become a better person. In doing that we also get to see his flaws and their nuances.

If you read what I've been writing so far, then you probably already know how much I adore these characters with alien viewpoints. All the witches are missing some aspect of a human personality. They may appear or even be really nice, but there's always some part about them that's quite twisted. I chose Edchina here in part because it's the one we get the most screentime and attention for in the anime, but also because of her relationship with other characters and how her boundless curiosity affected those in both positive and negative ways.

Faraway Paladin - Faraway Paladin has some great classic epic fantasy vibes. This is reflected in the characters. At the same time, its grounding gives a sense of realis, and its treatment of its pantheon is also one of the reasons I love this IP.
the-faraway-paladin-season-2-aims-for-fall-2023-release-23041404.jpg

A very classic fantasy hero, despite this being an isekai. I think there is a lot to see both as someone who loves fantasy and about life in the way William approaches the problems that come his way, based on the teachings of his three adopted parents. Adding to this, while it doesn't come up a lot, there's a really nice integration of the very fact he was reincarnated and how he was in his past life in how he currently lives and serves the goddess he pledged himself too.

Stagnate, the god of undeath is a villain but really interesting in that they are another who truly desires good for people. They hate the unfairness of life and death. They hate seeing the potential of people, particularly those worthy of being heroes, wasted. As far as Stagnate is concerned, trapping people in an undead body is nothing short of offering them eternal life, to take away the need to ever say goodbye. As a god, Stagnate is always a very distant character no matter how personal the conflict William has with them, but even though they are enemies, the desire to not see William's potential wasted can still spur Stagnate to aid William, creating a sense of respect between them.
35edd7e36ddd5d06dd837cb589d375db.jpg

Valarcica is an ancient dragon who fought and is feared by the gods themselves. What puts him on this list is not his power, but his cunning. He isn't just a massive towering lizard who can evaporate your very soul with his fire breath, requires special weaponry to even stand a chance of wounding him a bit and can even use ancient forgotten spells, he is a tricky opponent he is a wisened by his old age and immediately resorts to trickery and manipulation, abusing his foes fear of him to tempt them into taking the easy way out, abandon their fight and vigor, use him only to later be betrayed by the temptation they succumbed to. He has a deep respect for worthy foes, and unquenchable desire for destruction and war. As far as evil dragons go, this is one terrifying and fascinating antagonist without bending out of that role.

Banished From The Hero's Party, I Decided To Live A Quiet Life In The Countryside - This whole anime is fertile ground for extremely interesting characters because of the way the setting works. In it you receive blessings which attribute a certain role to you. They both give you the skills necessary to fulfil that role, surpassing anyone who would try it without those blessings, but also a strong, personality-warping compulsion to fulfill that role. Aside from the cute slice of life elements and blooming romance, the story quite enjoys exploring questions like what would it be like to have a role you don't want?
Tisse.Garland.full.2859738.jpg

I gotta include the incredibly cute spider pet Tisse carries around. Tisse is a replacement added to the hero's party and becomes the hero Ruti's best friend. She is also someone with the assassin blessing. It turns out because blessings like this exist, the assassin's guild was formed to try to give legitimacy to them, prevent them from being doomed to devolve into feral criminals and instead try to regulate their activity and make it a force for good. Tisse is deeply emotionally attached to these rules.
yande.re%201034641%20sample%20armor%20ruti_ragnason%20shin_no_nakama_janai_to_yuusha_no_party_wo_oidasareta_no_de_henkyou_de_slow_life_suru_koto_ni_shimashita%20tagme.jpg

The girl with the blessing of the hero. Ruti's emotions are surpressed due to her blessing and she struggles to be free from this. She struggles in silence, as she suffers the compulsion to save people even when she is aware it is absolutely impossible and it will get her killed. She has little escape, since the hero's basic necessities are removed by the blessing, including the need to sleep.
SPOILERS
When she manages to get her blessing changed, it's interesting to see the kind of things she tries to do now that she has some semblance of her freedom back.
p26625463_e_h9_aa.jpg

Van also attains the blessing of the hero, after his bishop blessing suddenly changes. Raised his whole life in praise of the god Demis who grants the blessings, Van is fanatically obsessed with that whole system and hasn't developed or matured enough to handle the changes that come with the blessing. He becomes a frightening antagonist that is extremely difficult to reason with and moves about with both unmatched power and no care for friend or foe except as fodder to improve his hero blessing. How this perspective is affected by his previous and new circumstances is a great arc.

Executioner and Her Way of Life - The world this show takes place in has had numerous encounters with people brought from another world, having influenced its lfie and culture irreparably. However, such people also eventually have their mind warped by the very powers they bring and become disasters. The way this affects the natives and the otherwolders alike is a matter of interest, but one character in particular explores this more gradually.
Tokitou.Akari.full.2697635.jpg

Another case of a character going back in time, this time to try to help the girl she fell in love kill her before her time powers completely consumes her mind and memories and she potentially destroys the world. She kind of lives this double life acting as her own self while secretly being her future self.

My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!
latest

The infamous protagonist of the series, the embodiment of the concept of the end. Anything he wills to is brought to a final end - the most basic form is instant death from which there is no recovery. If he 'kills' your eyes, even if you rip them out and grow new ones you'll still be blind. But his powers extends far beyond this. The way he thinks, the extent of his power, and the rules he decides for himself to limit his use due to his backstory all make Yogiri actually a really interesting protagonist despite the lack of stakes that his matter-of-fact invincibility his powers confer to him.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End - Thematic and personality of nuances of Frieren is truly impressive. There are all kinds of characters in Frieren and they are often quite deep, I'd say, though not all essay-worthy. One category in particular, demons, is one I'd definitely go on a rant about. I like that for once demons really are evil and I think it's really interesting the way they are evil and the mindset that gives them. There's even more interesting characters in the manga too, though this time I'm only going over anime content.
Serie.%28Sousou.no.Frieren%29.600.4128101.jpg

Not a ton is known about Serie yet, but a few things are for sure that already make her quite interesting. She's old enough to have met the goddess, she's known as a "living grimoire", yet for a long time she couldn't even picture herself living in a peaceful world. She went on to create the Continental Magic association, spreading knowledge of magic and ranking mages. She is quite petty and childish, yet firmly believes her intuition is always right, so she follows through with what it tells her, no matter how much it displeases her. There is this contrast to her character, and at the same time there is this understanding that for all her power and skill, Serie is limited in what she can actually do by the very mindset which brought her to where she is. She experiments to try to break out of it, but is so sure of herself that inadvertently she traps herself within these limitations.
Aura.%28Sousou.no.Frieren%29.600.4055786.jpg

Aura is here chosen as an exemplary demon who perfectly demonstrates their innate advantages and their flaws alike, with a bit of aid from her minions. She also has an extremely interesting ability that spurred the imagination of the internet, often with rather flawed 'I can fix her' logic.
latest

Its a shame I can't bring up manga stuff, because there is so much great content for him there. That being said, even from what's seen in the anime one already gets hinted at Denken's wisdom and badassery. He is extremely pragmatic, quick to change strategies to adapt to the situation, based on his deep understanding of people, mages and political maneuvering, and he is not short in options- form various kinds of magic, to money and influence, to persuasion and FIST. There is a lot one could over in his way of thinking in any given situation.
%C3%9Cbel.600.4112245.jpg

Ubel's main point of interest for me is the way she uses magic and the possibilities for it. Her mindset is such that she doesn't outright learn spells. Instead, she instinctively uses other people's spells via using the image of that person's mindset to recreate their nature onto a spell. This has two major implications, aside from the great reportoir of magic it gives her access to. First, she's a psychopathic killer who outright needs to empathize with people, a contradiction almost which really creates an interesting dynamic. Second, because magic in that setting is based on visualization, Ubel's magic can do things others can't because their reason would impede them, whereas Ubel is able to get past that because of how things are intuitive. If you have a spell that can only destroy red things, and you have something that looks red but you know isn't, you can't destroy it with magic. But Ubel can, because things that look red are intuitively red - even if you know otherwise consciously.

Tearmoon Empire

Princess Mia is a selfish and entitled brat, and very much fits the villainess mold, although this isn't really an otome game story. She's also not exactly the brightest tool in the shed. After a rebellion in her empire starts and she is executed on the guillotine, she finds herself back in time and tries to correct her mistakes through a series of hilarious misunderstandings as she tries to fix the problems she knew from her past life so as to prevent the rebellion and her own execution, and ends up being taken as some saintly wise figure that could do no wrong and is always scheming some grand plan for the good of the empire and everyone. What makes Mia such an interesting character is that she hasn't really turned over a new leaf. She's actually still incredibly self-centered and entitled, and she's definitely not any smarter or less petty. Her core hasn't changed that much, but out of pure self-interest she is forced into a position in which she has to solve all these huge problems people have, and she has to learn about things or at least give power and a voice to people whom she'd have previously dismissed. It's not for the sake of other people, but she's still trying her damnest to help other people, and where she lacks in the intelligence to do so, she has the luck.

That being said, it's not as though she didn't change at all. In a lot of ways she appreciates life and the small pleasures a lot more after spending weeks in a prison cell with guards mistreating her. She learned a number of lessons on at least a barebones amount of humility in certain ways, though she still gets carried away, she's a lot more keen to learn things to survive in case of a rebellion, and above all, she's really learned to be grateful for the people who helped her, namely her clumsy maid Anne, who was the last person to continue visiting her while she was in prison.

My Teen Romantic Comedy is Wrong as Expected - Oreigairu is full of characters with intriguing mindsets, backstories and relationship dynamics. Unfortunately there are things it wants to imply which I feel go a little over my head, so I'm gonna stick to the one I feel confident I can properly describe the depth of.
HD-wallpaper-hikigaya-hachiman-anime-oregairu-yahari-yahari-ore-yuigahama-yukino-yukinoshita.jpg

Hikigaya is a disillusioned teenager, simultaneously too mature for his age and too immature as a person. His worldview is more comical / sad than interesting, but his approach to problems is certainly intriguing and makes for a great character arc. Namely in how it impacts his relationship, and how at first he can impress people via his unconventional solutions to solving problems, but often avoiding dealing with the root of the problem, or else burning the rest of the field along with it. As such, as impressive as his solutions are, half-assing a problem eventually comes back to bite him and he begins to search for more substantial, more real, more genuine out of his life and relationships.

Youjo Senki
Tanya.Degurechaff.full.2357361.jpg

Tanya is... how do I put it. She's practical. Ruthless. She has an alien sense of values based entirely on order and rules. The spirit of the rule matters little too. Exploring the way she looks a things, and how such an evil protagonist can work so well is certainly an interesting topic.

Yuusha, Yamemasu
latest

MAJOR SPOILERS

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Turns out Leon is a biological weapon created to fight the demons long ago before humanity's civilization regressed to a medieval stage due to the apocalyptic invasion. Each one had a unique power and his was hyper-adaptation, eventually becoming a being so powerful he couldn't possibly be defeated and would continue for eternity having to save humanity due the directive implanted on his mind. It ran so deep that during a brief period of peace without invasions, Leon almost went mad and tried to cause a world-threatening event himself so he could save the world as he was programmed to do.

Wow that took quite a bit longer than I expected.
You've chosen a lot of characters that are REALLY good to write a essay on. Tanya especially since I've always considered her as somewhat complex of a character when I was reading the manga.

I may have forgotten to bring it up, but manga stuff is alright to bring up as long as the spoilers are marked.

The character I would choose to write sn essay on would be Zenitsu Agatsuma ftom Demon Slayer Kimetsu no yaiba. There is more to this lovesick anxious and cowardly lad. He knows about his flaws and wants to improve.

i personally have ALOT so ....... im just gonna do a few (more like 12)

Kimetsu No Yaiba Film GIF by Funimation

rengoku kyojuro from demon slayer one because he is my favourite character and two because of his unique and cool personality alongside his courage

one piece op GIF

portgas d ace from one piece about his weird ... habbit of falling asleep while eating and whiping his face on girl dresses while how he got killed to protect luffy

Kimetsu No Yaiba What GIF by iQiyi
\

inosuke from demon slayer because of his weird yet funny personality and his ability to bend in directions that isnt normal

and because im lazy also zenitsu agatsuma for his cowardly and lovesick personality, levi ackerman about his handsome looks, yuji itadori about how he became the sukuna vessel gojo satoru also because of his handsome looks toji fushiguro and about how he abandoned his child and a few others i cant be bothered to write

i personally have ALOT so ....... im just gonna do a few (more like 12)

Kimetsu No Yaiba Film GIF by Funimation

rengoku kyojuro from demon slayer one because he is my favourite character and two because of his unique and cool personality alongside his courage

one piece op GIF

portgas d ace from one piece about his weird ... habbit of falling asleep while eating and whiping his face on girl dresses while how he got killed to protect luffy

Kimetsu No Yaiba What GIF by iQiyi
\

inosuke from demon slayer because of his weird yet funny personality and his ability to bend in directions that isnt normal

and because im lazy also zenitsu agatsuma for his cowardly and lovesick personality, levi ackerman about his handsome looks, yuji itadori about how he became the sukuna vessel gojo satoru also because of his handsome looks toji fushiguro and about how he abandoned his child and a few others i cant be bothered to write
Ace wanted to die a free man and without regrets, and if it meant sacrificing his life to save Luffy’s he died with a smile on his face. It doesn’t make it less heart breaking. I.. hate how they wrote him off. 😭 It’s sad he never finds out Sabo is alive either. At least Sabo inherits Ace’s will so it’s like he has part of Ace living on in him.

Oikawa from Haikyuu… Such an interesting character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back