• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Dawson
Overwhelmed was an understatement, When Isabel finally confessed to what was on her mind, my adrenaline only skyrocketed,

This is exactly the same situation we were in last time. I don't want it to end the same way. But I can't force her to give up something I know means the most to her before she even has the chance to finish it.

"Love, listen to me, I don't want this to change anything for you if you aren't ready to come home. I trust you. You're a badass who deserves to finish what she started just be careful and come home when you finish. We'll get through this together. I promise. Don't over think it. As long as you're okay for now, keep going. I want you to. So one day in the future you can tell our child what you did to make a difference before they became a part of our picture. I don't want them growing up thinking you gave it up just for them, We all know you deserve this one thing, and it'll give them even more grounds to look up to and aspire to be like their mother. You got this."

Present Day
Dallas, Texas

Amelia
The first day of trial proceedings was emotionally exhausting. I was still overcoming my shock that this was our reality now. After it all, I just wanted to hug Jayden and not let go, but I knew we couldn't cause more of a scene that we already had today. Once again we left separately, Jayden's mom agreeing to stay behind and go home with him because I didn't want him going anywhere along now that the proceedings were underway.

But once we were back in the safety of our home and he came walking through the door, I ran for him, dropping the knife on the counter I was using to cut vegetables with as a source of anxious distraction. I was trying my best to act like we had a normal life once we left the courthouse because I wanted Jayden to have that, but I couldn't let go of the haunting thought that I could potentially be in the process of losing my husband and there was no coming to terms with that. I would feel guilty for the rest of my own life for putting him through this no matter the turnout.

"I love you," I whispered into his shoulder, trying and failing at it, I blamed the hormones but he always managed to handle them well.

Once dinner was over and Jayden's parents left for the night I curled next to him on the couch while he sipped on his gin, Roo at our feet, my head against his chest while he stared off into nothing tapping the glass. After some silence, I lifted my head and kissed his cheeks.

"What are we thinking about, Blue Eyes?" I asked in a whisper watching him come out his head when his glazed over eyes looked onto me in the same way they did the first time I noticed him, full of what I once considered mysterious now to be adoration. "Are you okay?"

Stupid question, Amelia, No he's not okay.

Jayden
I wanted nothing more than for Amelia and I to live a normal life when we were in the comfort of our home. I didn't want her to be worrying about the trial and what was going on in the courtroom when we were alone. You know there's no way to control that.

That's true. There was no way in the world I could control when we did and didn't think about the what was actually going on in our lives. I felt horrible that I was putting my wife through that. The more I think about it the more guilty I feel. I didn't want her to be there after seeing how exhausted she looked today. She couldn't take that emotional toll, and with our baby on the way, I didn't need her stressing herself out.

I didn't notice I was deep in my thoughts while Amelia and I did our usual snuggle on the couch. I was unconsciously tapping the glass with my ring finger, hyperfixating on any object I could find straight ahead of me. I wasn't pulled out of my thoughts until I heard Amelia call me Blue Eyes. Looking over at her, my gaze softened as I looked at her with nothing but love and admiration. I can't keep letting you be there.

"I'm okay love, promise," I said softly, releasing a sigh.

"Vix," I saw the curiousness in her eyes and gripped her hand with my free one, giving it a squeeze before I lifted it to my lips and kissed her fingers. "I don't want you to be there for the rest of the trial. I talked it out with mom. She'll stay home with you and y'all can go out and do girly things but I don't want you there. Even more so considering Dawson and Isabel are set to testify."

I was nervous for how she was going to react. I felt like she was going to argue and say that she was fine but this was something I wouldn't let her decide. She was staying away from the trial now on. She wasn't going to be able to handle everything coming up.

Amelia​
Don't take this the wrong way. He's just trying his best to look out for you in the only way he can right now. Let him. I knew deep down, Jayden didn't want me to take anything that was presented to heart, he didn't want anyone to validate the guilt I felt for being to blame for this. in his eyes, he did what he had to do, ethical or not, and he wasn't going to let anyone let me think that saving me was the wrong decision. I knew him not wanting me to be there, was more so for his peace of mind that I would be okay as long as I stayed out of the courtroom, and if that made this a little easier for him, I couldn't deny him that.

"Okay," I agreed in a soft whisper. "I'll stay here, until the last day. I'm not going to let you face that alone. I didn't want to sit there for weeks bored anyway," I teased, only laughing when I saw him crack a smile.

OOC: Hi, it's been A DAY but more than that, it's been A SEMESTER and I just, like, need something not sad and depressing rn so here's my free F*ck it moment. Buckle up. Might rework later, idk.

Dallas, Texas
August 24, 2024
6;26 a.m.
Amelia​

The last ten months of my life leading up to this moment, bringing my daughter into this moment. The last 18 hours were particularly excruciating and horrible and I was damn near ready for it to come to an end. The pain was now I couldn't catch a breath. I was out of control of my own body, whimpering in pain and shivering as each wave came and stayed constant, tears streaming down my face.

Feeling a hand rest gently on my shoulder, I opened my eyes looking over the oxygen mask, trying to smile through the pain.

"She's almost here," Isabel whispered, nodding I closed my eyes again, concentrating on my breaths while her hand moved to from my shoulder to my back where the pain was the worst.

Burying my head to my chest, I heard the nurses whispering and on looking, waiting for the moment we all laid awake for. Jayden's mom watching anxiously in the corner.

Right now, I was ridiculing myself for deciding to do this without any medication. Aha. Isabel, learn from my mistake. 10/10 would NEVER recommend.

You always have to make things so difficult for yourself, you fucking overachiever.
I wanted the "full experience" but little did I know that the full experience would end up being the worst experience of my life. Being both physically and mentally exhausted I just wanted to scream but I knew it wouldn't make it go by any faster. Shivering again I pulled the blanket against me, groaning as the pain picked up again, still feeling sick to my stomach.

Is this childbirth or death??

As the pain continued to escalate, I felt another presence make her way toward me.

"You're doing great, sweetie."

Shuttering a breath through my tears, I heard the door open.

"Look, your savior is back with ice chips," she whispered giggling when she saw my eyes open reach out to my "savior" as Susanne backed away back to the couch in the corner.

Isabel
Today was the day a new life would be welcomed into the world. When I got the phone call from Jayden about Amelia's water breaking, I was quick to pack up an overnight bag and grab what I would need before I headed to the hospital. I quickly texted Dawson before making the drive. After my move back to Dallas I was looking forward to the future. Despite the rocky start I had when I realized I was pregnant, Dawson and I agreed for me to stay in the valley and pursue the story for as long as I physically and mentally could. I lasted longer than I thought I would and let's be honest, I probably would've been there longer had I not had a gun held to my head at one point. That was the main push to come home. I didn't care what happened to me but I was not going to be the reason Dawson lost another child.

Things were progressing rapidly for Amelia and then they slowed down, and I could see with every passing minute the amount of pain Amelia was in. It was making me dread the fact that I would be in the same spot months from now. I tried not to think about it though. I'm such a wuss when it comes to pain that I know my ass will BEG for that epidural.

I did my best to soothe my best friend but I knew with each shutter she was inching closer to having the baby and I knew she was ready to finish this. Releasing a sigh of relief when Jayden returned with the ice chips, I moved to the other side of Amelia's bed so she and Jayden could have their moment while Susanne and I minded our own. Seeing how attentive Jayden was to Amelia reassured me that letting him pursue my best friend was the right decision.

"Now you're making me want ice chips," I told Amelia in a playful manner when she started chewing on them after Jayden brought her some.

Jayden
I hated seeing Amelia in pain and when she seemed so tense and unable to take deep breaths, I was quick to do anything I could to help distract her from it. The minute my wife asked for ice chips, I quickly left the room, entrusting my mom and Isabel to help Amelia in my absence.

Amelia and these freaking ice chips man.

I didn't know what the obsession of chewing on ice was about when a woman was pregnant but it was something Amelia had done since the beginning and if we didn't have any for her to chew on, her hormones got the best of her. That's what I was trying to avoid right now.

Returning, I laughed softly when my mom referred to me as Amelia's savior. Shaking my head, I walked back over to my wife and held the cup full of ice chips, letting her munch on them while I held the cup. Kissing her forehead, I pulled away with a smile.

"I love you," I whispered to her. "Soon our babygirl will be with us. We've gone through a lot to get here. Are you ready?" I asked her softly, laughing when she responded the way she did. Yep, she's ready for Baby to come out now.

"Don't be so quick to evict her from your stomach. Who knows, maybe you'll miss having her there." I teased.

Amelia​
Looking Jayden dead in the face, I shook my head. "I wouldn't test me the same way you did the legal system, You won't get that lucky twice," I replied in one short breath, chewing on the ice quickly in my short two minutes before I felt like dying again.

Reaching for him again when the pain knocked the air out of my lungs again. You can get through this. He's here and that's all you wanted. You have to do this last thing for him. Not letting go, I felt myself shiver against him.

How much longer could this possibly last?

Six Hours Later...
12:02 p.m.​
I thought things couldn't get any worse, but I was WRONG. Six hours had passed and now it seemed like the room was spinning and I was the only one in it. I was now so unbelievably miserable I pushed Jayden away from me every time I tried to come back to reality. Everyone warned me that when it felt like I couldn't take anymore that's when it was nearing its end.

The end must be near, Please, I just want it to be over.

Coming out of my sobbed daze, I reached for Jayden again, my hands trembling when the doctor and her nurses made her way in.

"Are we ready to get this over with, Amelia?" she asked while the nurses huddled around me. Crying at the fact that this was almost over, I nodded without hesitation.

"Okay, let's have a baby."

12:20 p.m.​
After what felt like an eternity of nothing happening I laid my head back in defeat, out of breath from pushing. Looking up at Jayden, I cried apologetically.

"I can't I'm sorry," I whispered helplessly,

"She's right there, you can do it, for me."

For him, What wouldn't I do for him. I hate you and your damn Blue Eyes getting me to do all of the unthinkable things I said I would never do for you.

"Okay," I whispered again, lifting my head one last time, gathering my literal last bit of strength to push one last time, her screams echoing in the room four minutes later.

Relenting to my exhaustion for only a moment, I didn't realize what just happened until I saw my daughter come face to face with me, her helpless wails not ceasing as I reached for her, tears flooding my eyes as soon as I saw her.

"Hi, baby," I said over my own tears, her tiny body now curled against my bare chest as chaos overtook the room. Sighing in relief, I wiped away the tears with the back of my hand looking over to Jayden, my heart warm at his overemotional disbelief. At last, Jayden's fantasy of having a family was no longer just a fantasy.

Jayden
At 12:26pm, Baby left the comfortable spot of her mothers stomach and was brought into the world. I couldn't imagine the amount of pain Amelia had gone through to get to this moment. I didn't think she would make it. She was in labor for longer than either of us anticipated and I could hear in her voice that she just couldn't keep going anymore, so I tried my hardest to be her rock and push her through it as best as I could.

When the screams were heard though, I released a bright smile as our daughter was taken quickly for clean up after I cut the umbilical cord. Looking over at Amelia, I brushed my wife's hair aside and leaned down to plant a soft kiss on her forehead.

"You did amazing, Amelia," I whispered softly to her, moving my hand to carefully move some of the hair covering Baby's face, feeling the tears stream down my face the moment I laid eyes on her. "She's gorgeous, Vix. Just like her mother."

With my daughter born, it seemed like my hopes and dreams of having a family of my own were actually happening. I was able to escape being thrown in jail for life and I was now welcoming the most innocent soul into the world. It was crazy to think how life could be but I didn't want to be anywhere but here with my family.

"She needs a name. We can't keep calling her Baby anymore." I added with a soft chuckle, kissing Amelia's forehead yet again. "Bel and mom are not going to let her go, I feel it."

Last edited:
Amelia
Looking up at Jayden still holding our daughter to my chest, I smiled, kissing his lips gently. Wiping the tears that stained his cheeks with my thumb. "I love you," I whispered before looking back at our nameless daughter as the nurse came over to put a newborn hat on her head.

After a few minutes of skin to skin the baby's cries quieted and the nurses took her to make sure she was healthy, before returning her in a tight swaddle with a cute newborn hat with a bow at the top of it. Watching Jayden get handed the little girl, I grinned at the two of them while the doctor turned her attention back to me.

"I'm chopped liver now," I said in a tease, laughing when Jayden gave me a look of detest. "I'm kidding, love." Reaching for his free hand when he paced back over to me, I squeezed it gently. Seeing Jayden so transfixed on the baby in his arms made everything we went through to get to this point worth it and I knew then, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat if it meant I could live in this moment a little bit longer.

"I think you're the one who won't let go of her, but that's okay."

Last edited:
Jayden
The minute the nurse handed me my daughter, I knew instantly I was already wrapped around her finger. There was nothing I wouldn't for the bundle of joy snuggling close against my chest. Kissing her head softly, I promised myself that I would never let any harm come to her. I would keep her safe and not only just her but her mother as well. Hearing Amelia call herself chopped liver, I was quick to give her a look of disgust, shaking my head before I kissed Baby's head yet again.

"Mm you're probably right but we both know Isabel will take her from my arms the minute she comes in," I teased with a laugh before moving Amelia's hand to my lips and kissing her fingers. "What are we naming her?" I asked her softly, handing our daughter back to her, smiling as I watched over them. "We have to bring the crowd outside in soon. If not, they're going to go crazy."

Isabel
The minute the nurse came out to let us know the baby was born and that Amelia was okay, I was quick to jump up, eager to get inside the room so that I could see my niece. Squealing with excitement, I practically ran back to the room despite carrying a child of my own in my stomach. I didn't even wait for my boyfriend because the excitement was too much to contain. Walking inside, I gasped at the sight of her, instantly getting closer to Amelia and crying. Stupid hormones.

"She's so beautiful, Best Friend," I whispered softly, wiping away the tears that continued to fall. "Can I hold her?" In that moment, I knew it was over for me. My niece had me wrapped around my finger and I knew I would do anything for her as if she were my own child. "What did y'all name her?" I asked them, blinking when I saw Jayden's grin before he walked over to Amelia and took her hand in his. By now Dawson made it into the room along with Jayden's parents. We were all eager to finally have a name rather than just calling her Baby.

Amelia
To expect a moment of peace after bringing my daughter into the world, I knew was ludicrous with the entourage we had waiting to meet her. Taking her back from her father, I cradled her in my arms, looking up at Jayden and shrugging at the curiosity of her name. I didn't want to pick something in a rush, I wanted whatever name we came up with to fit her, it was something she would be keeping for the rest of her life after all.

"I don't know, what do you think?" I asked sincerely, watching her sleep peacefully while we discussed the options, finally deciding on one, and when we had, tears flowed down my cheeks. The fragile newborn in my arms, now, I hoped with the name we gave her, would look up to the two role models she was named after and become equally as strong, passionate, kind and empowered.

When Isabel burst back into the room, I wanted to laugh at her sense of urgency, but as soon as I saw her reaction to me holding my baby in my arms, I became overly emotional and once again, started crying instead. Holding her out for Isabel to see, I caught my breath at her excitement, giggling slightly before I took my best friend into a side hug.

If only she knew the whole reasoning as to why I am so emotional right now.

Nodding at Isabel's request to hold her niece, I handed her off gently while everyone else made their way into the room to catch their first glimpse.

When Jayden took my hand in his, I held onto his arm, leaning into him, taking in the moment, grinning when Isabel finally asked the burning question Jayden and I knew everyone was dying to know the answer to.

"What do you think it is?" I asked Isabel, tears still glossing my eyes. Laughing nervously when she took a turn at guessing shaking my head.

Letting go of Jayden, I smiled when he pulled his mom next to Isabel. I knew neither one of them would be prepared for this. I was hoping Jayden would be the one to tell everyone, but I knew it should be me, considering the sentiment behind the name.

When Isabel asked again, I bit my lip.

"We named her Isabel May Acciolli, after who we know will be the two most important women to her, and people we want her to look up to and know she is loved."

Isabel after Isabel, the one constant in my life, who never failed me when I needed her to love me and encourage me the most when I felt useless and unloveable Isabel was always there, and May, after Susanne's middle name, because even though Jayden had a fallout with his family, he adored his mother through it all and this was his way of reminding her how important she was to him.

Isabel
Damn you, Amelia.

I couldn’t stop the tears that streamed down my face the minute we were told what Baby’s new name was. Isabel May. My name and Susannes middle name. I couldn’t believe it and now as I stared at my niece, I tried not to ugly cry.

You’re my mini me. I’ll do everything I can for you, I promise.

“I hate you for making me cry even more,” I whispered to my best friend, handing off my niece when Susanne asked if she could take her. Watching the interaction between grandmother and grandchild was touching, reminding me instantly of my mom with my nephew and nieces. I missed them. It had been awhile since I last saw them.

Shaking my head, I walked closer to Amelia, taking her hand in my own while Jayden went over to his mom and the two admired the infant.

“I’m proud of you, Best Friend. You did it. You’re a mom and my mini me is so lucky to have you as her mother,” I said gently, releasing a content sigh. “She’s going to be so loved, I just know it.”

“Loved and spoiled.” I heard my boyfriend say as he walked closer and wrapped his arms around me. Releasing a soft laugh, I nodded, feeling comforted when I felt Dawson’s hand rest on my stomach. “I’m personally excited for Bel and our son to grow up together. Can you just imagine them when they go with Dawson to the ranch? Maybe my mini me will pick up riding like her mother.”

Words couldn’t describe how proud of Amelia I was. I would do anything for the child she just brought into the world and I was glad I left the border to be here for this, to be here for everything. Jayden’s trial, the last stretch of Amelia’s pregnancy, and now the birth of my niece. I was grateful that I came to terms with the work I’d done at the border. Enough was enough.

“I love you, Melia.” I whispered gently, giving her hand a squeeze. “When is the rest of the families coming?”

Amelia
It's just Jayden's side for now," I whispered with a faint smile. I couldn't get past the pride that beamed on Jayden's face now that he had his daughter to watch over. I didn't expect my own family to drop everything to come and meet my daughter, it wasn't feasible to make a spontaneous trip for any of them, and I didn't have anywhere to let them stay, considering we were in my apartment for now. I wanted to take her home to everyone for my birthday in the next week and a half, but I was uncertain how possible that would be given the readjustment of bringing a newborn into the equation and giving my own body time to recover. Regardless, I didn't take it to heart, I was content with the people who did come together to welcome the baby, and having to handle a flash flood of visitors was one less thing to worry about.

Keeping my best friend in the room with me, her namesake eventually made her way back into my arms, and to my relief, she latched to me better than I anticipated. It was something I was nervous about, worried that she would be forced to get her nutrients from outside sources, and that's not what I wanted. With Jayden gone, going to retrieve the food I was dying for. I hoped he picked well because I didn't make a decision on my own but I did know I was close to starving. I hadn't fallen victim to my exhaustion yet, still high on adrenaline, I turned to my best friend with a groggy smile.

"This will be you soon, are you excited?"

Isabel
I refused to leave Amelia's side and I knew she didn't want me to. I was a bit sad for my best friend that none of her family was able to make the flight out to Texas so they could meet the newest addition but I knew better than anyone and understood that making that trip wasn't something they could do. I wasn't upset they couldn't be here, just wished there was something I could do. I was all Amelia had right now so I was going to be there for her until she told me to leave because she was tired of me.

Laughing to myself at the thought, I smiled as I watched my mini me and her mother interact with each other. They were so precious and I could see the relief in Amelia's face when Isabel latched rather easily. I had read on several mom blogs that having their child latch after being born was a fifty fifty chance. Several mothers said their babies latched and were breastfed and others said their babies refused and were fed formula. I wasn't opposed to the latter option, especially considering my nieces and nephews were fed like that growing up, I just knew knowing your child wouldn't latch was heart shattering for most new moms.

Think about something else.

I knew if my hormones got the best of me, I would start crying right here in Amelia's hospital room over something that hadn't even happened yet and something I couldn't control.

Looking at Amelia when she asked if I was excited about being in her spot soon, I couldn't help but let out a nervous laugh before shaking my head, releasing a soft sigh.

"I'm more than ready for the baby to be born but I am not ready for that pain. We both know I will tap out and get the epidural. I'm such a wuss." Laughing again, I released another sigh, this one of worry. "Dawson and I haven't talked much about what we're going to do when the baby is born. I know he doesn't want me to live in my apartment anymore but I also don't want to move to the ranch. He's also going to start flying again which I'm super excited about but it just means he'll be gone on the weekends again." I tried not to think much about it. Again, my hormones would get the best of me.

"Have you and Jayden found a house yet?" I asked them. I knew the married couple had been looking to buy a house and I was excited for the family to find the right one and move in.

Amelia
'"We haven't had much time to talk about it," I answered honestly, the exhaustion beginning to creep up on me. but the grin on my face remaining. For the first time in close to a year, I was at peace and Isabel was largely to thank for my little family being together, rather than Jayden being confined to a prison cell. It was during my absence from the courtroom that Isabel stepped in and advocated for Jayden in the media in the way I wished I could have, but as I promised Jayden, I stayed out of it in fear of being attacked for his decisions. Most of all though, it was her fiery and unapologetic testimony that won over the hearts of the twelve people who had Jayden's life in their hands. It was the picture of Jayden she painted of Jayden that made it near impossible to see his passion as unethical.

Three Months Before...
May 27, 2024

Alyssa Hampton

"The state calls Isabel Anes to the stand."

When the examination began I expected nothing of it. My team and I subpenaed Isabel and Dawson to the stand simply because they were in the room with Jayden when he made the threat to kill and unethically recruited their assistance in finding Amelia. An action that validated his irrationality and I just needed to prove the two were present and involved in whatever scheme Jayden attempted to plan without following his protocol.

I was slightly irritated because Jayden supervisor claimed that his officer did not take control of the case, and rather he was the one overlooking the operation. I found this hard to believe, but the stubborn cowboy rubbed me the wrong way. Dawson refused to answer a question by evoking his fifth amendment right whenever I asked him questions about his own actions that could point at the direction of Jayden, and to my disgruntled dismay, the judge dismissed my motion that the witness had to answer.

Isabel was my last shot, and as far as I was concerned, I had her. She was the strongest witness, given her career and closeness with both Amelia and Jayden.

Waiting patiently for her to take her oath, I approached her with a blank expression before holding my hands in front of me. After asking her to state her name for the court, I began.

"Can you describe for the court in as much detail as you can remember your account of the evening of April 14, 2022?" (Idk if this is the date of when Amelia got snatched but I don't really care rn).

Isabel
I wasn't thrilled when I found out I was subpoenaed to give my testimony against Jayden about what occurred. I was no idiot and I knew the one and only Alyssa Hampton wanted to use me like a card in her deck, but she didn't know me well enough to know I wasn't going to be fooled. I tried not to laugh in the courtroom when she brought Jayden's supervisor to the stand because he let the court know Jayden wasn't the one on the case, and that was true. I could tell it rubbed Alyssa the wrong way. I also had to hold back laughter when Dawson continued to plead his fifth amendment right and not answer the questions Alyssa asked him. Basically, she thought she had me in a corner but I saw her losing her cool with every question she asked prior to me being on the stand and I knew if I rustled the last bit of her feathers, she would break and the courtroom would be in Jayden's favor. I knew how to play my own cards and Ms. Hampton wasn't ready for me to be the one on the stand.

After stating my oath to tell nothing but the truth, I wasn't nervous about being up here before an entire courtroom. I was actually comfortable and I know Alyssa caught onto it because of how relaxed I sat in the chair and rested my folded hands on the area in front of me, a smile on my face. It was condescending to what everyone else felt in the room but I wasn't going to let the bitch think she had me.

Releasing a soft sigh, I nodded when she asked if I could describe my account of the day Amelia was kidnapped.

"So the day Amelia was kidnapped? How could I ever forget it?" I asked, continuing on. "When I got word that Amelia was kidnapped, I dropped everything I was doing. At the time Jayden called me, I was in Brownsville..." In that moment, I saw a slight falter in Alyssa's stance. She had to have known I flew into Dallas and got here the night before they found Amelia.

"For those of you who don't know, I lived in Brownsville at the time because I was working on a story at the border. The the minute I got off the phone with Jayden, I knew I needed to be back in Dallas so I booked a flight, went to the airport, while there I called Dawson and told him what I was told and asked him to check on Jayden at the main station so Dawson being there was my doing." Emphasis on my.

"
My plane landed at ten so I got to main station probably around 10:30? The entire time I was up in the air, Dawson was texting me updates on Jayden's emotions believe it or not. He did mention that they seemed to be going a little slower than anyone would've liked so me being the Latina and Texan woman that I am, I marched into the back and remember distinctly telling Jayden "I heard things have been going slow, Acciolli. You better pick up the freaking pace". Dawson was sitting at Jayden's desk at the time. I went over to the investigation board and looked at everything pinned. I felt my anger rising when I was able to match a face to Luciano and wanting to do nothing less than kick his sorry ass. Oops, sorry for the language."

Another irritated glance over.

"After that, Jayden gave me a run down, and it isn't the run down you were hoping for Ms. Hampton. He told me why Amelia was kidnapped, how his work undercover just happened, he didn't actually apply to transfer over to work undercover. I was really angry then. I remember yelling at Jayden about how someone doesn't just stumble into working undercover and I was beyond frustrated with the slow pace that Chavez was taking on the case so I demanded the files be given over to me which Jayden said no and told me that I knew he couldn't do that."

I explained that Chavez was weary about my presence but when I offered some helpful suggestions based off what I saw on the board, he decided to let me stay. I joked about how I would've found a way to stay anyways because there was no way I wasn't going to help find my best friend.

After that, I told everyone about how we were all in the sweatbox throwing out suggestions on what move to make next. It was right when we started looking into the video footage of all the known hotels the mob frequents when Jayden's phone started ringing.

"It was Luciano and I could never forget how smug he sounded on the other end of the line about how Jayden and Chavez couldn't track him and Amelia down. This is the part where Ms. Alyssa Hampton would like to say Jayden threatened to kill Luciano. Quite honestly, it's not a lie, he did but let me tell you exactly why he did."

When Alyssa tried to tell the court she didn't understand why that was necessary, I was satisfied when the judge overruled her and let me speak. I knew the tables were turned and I now had Alyssa in a corner.

"It's necessary, Ms. Hampton, because Jayden isn't the man you're trying to paint him out to be." A roll of her eyes. "Jayden isn't a killer. In the moment he was doing what any rational person who loves someone would have done. Let me ask you this, have you ever sat in a room, a sweat box to be exact, and answered the phone only to be greeted by the man who kidnapped your significant other? Have you ever sat there, endlessly trying to find them with your fellow officers, only to have their captor laugh at that fact that you hadn't just yet? Have you ever listened to someone like Luciano openly admit that he raped your significant other and made it a point to tell you that he enjoyed it?" The deadly silence in the courtroom could slice a piece of paper. I knew I was on a roll and though Alyssa was displeased, I didn't care. I was becoming angry reliving the entire situation in my head.

"No? Well that's exactly what Jayden went through, so him becoming heated and angry and threatening to kill Luciano in that moment was a valid reaction in my head. I could be biased considering I wanted to do the same, but can you honestly look me in the face and tell me that given those circumstances, you wouldn't have done the same?"

Silence. Not a single word said or noise was made.

"So yes, Jayden threatened to kill Luciano but it was a natural reaction. A defense mechanism in a sense." Sighing, I tried to relax because my body in that moment had become tense.

"Going back to what you asked me to do, after the call, Chavez did his best to move the team faster and get some type of results. They were all in the room when the call happened so the urgency after it was pressing for everyone now, not just Jayden. In the time span of tracking down where Luciano and Amelia were, she was able to get out on the balcony of the hotel and used Luciano's phone to call Jayden. It was that moment that literally saved her life. She told Jayden that he needed to find her because if he didn't she knew Luciano was going to kill her. While on that small and quick phone call, Jayden was able to calm my best friend and get her to describe what she was seeing outside and what she remembered when they walked in so the team could narrow down the hotel options. How Jayden was able to keep his cool after that phone call is beyond me but he did and he let Chavez lead after he gave them the information he was given."

"Fast forward to 7:30 am when I, along with the team, was able to pinpoint the exact hotel Amelia and Luciano were at. Before they left, Chavez insisted that he lead the ground operation but Jayden refused because he felt like Amelia's situation was his fault. He felt like he needed to fix it and that's normal in my eyes. Chavez let him lead but on the condition that they go in together and what happened at the hotel is something I can't discuss because I wasn't in the room. But I want to reiterate that Jayden is not a killer, Ms. Hampton. He is an ordinary man, despite his occupation, and handled everything the best way he could have despite the conflicting emotional attachment to Amelia. He loves her and has done everything for that woman and his unconditional love doesn't just stop at my best friend but carries on to literally everyone he meets. That's what makes him so good at his job. I don't think him facing a life in prison, or even the death sentence, is considered justice."

I had to hold my tongue when the bitch told the court she wasn't surprised that I thought it wasn't justice because of my own attachment to Amelia. She really had no heart. I wanted to fuck her up.

June 24, 2024
Verdict Day

Amelia
The day was finally here and I was a wreck. I couldn't stop shaking and considering I hadn't been in the courtroom since the open of the proceedings, the Media personnel were like sharks, keeping a lens pointed at me, waiting for the moment that would no doubt make the front page. I was beyond anxious, this was now the third day of deliberation and I wasn't sure how much longer I could handle this uncertainty about whether or not the man I loved would get to come home with me or spend the rest of his life in confinement. Eventually, my thoughts of the worst possible outcome got the best of me and my hormones took over. I started to sob against Suanne when she reached for my hand, equally as anxious and upset that we were still waiting for an answer. The air in the room was tense and the crowd outside of the courtroom looked as if it went for miles, ready to riot if Jayden got anything less than set free.

At the start of day three, we were at 16 hours of deliberation and the longer the jury took the more frantic I wanted to come, but I knew I needed to keep my composure because if I didn't Jayden would get upset, and that was the last thing he needed when he was waiting for a decision as big as this one.

It was the end of the third day, another eight hours passed and we all were certain this jury was going to go into the fourth day. By now, I was beginning to feel helpless, that we might have to go through this a second time if the judge declared a mistrial.

Letting go of a deep breath, I looked over to Isabel and shook my head, and then the doors swung open and all twelve of them entered the room. Gasping, I brought my hand to my mouth, I literally lost my breath as they took their places and Jayden stood.

This is it.

September 6, 2024
Dallas, Texas

Isabel
Everyone said my testimony is what painted the best picture of Jayden and it practically saved him from going to prison, but like many things in life, I didn't believe it. However, I knew everyone was able to let out a deep breath of relief once the verdict of not guilty was given for the officer. The jury was in discussion for three entire days, and we were all certain they would go into their fourth, but after receiving the news, I was more than grateful. I was maybe even feeling myself a bit considering I got to see the look of anger and disappoint in Alyssa's face.

Today had everyone doing a complete 180 as we all were beyond the moon happy because of the occasion. Today was Amelia's birthday and I know Jayden was more than excited to give her the world today considering everything they had been through. There was a dinner planned for us to go to and afterwards I agree to go out with the married couple for drinks even if I couldn't do so. I didn't want to be a Debbie downer and not go.

Waking up, I let out a groan, feeling over to the side of the bed Dawson claimed as his own, sighing when my arm met cotton sheets. That meant Dawson had already left for work. I knew he would, it just never made mornings easy, especially with the amount of discomfort I was currently in due to our child being in my stomach.

Grabbing my phone, I texted Amelia, quick to wish her a happy birthday and let her know that I was on the way to pick her up. Since both of the men in our lives had to work today, I agreed to take the day off from work at D Magazine and take Amelia out through the day. Jayden's parents were in town for the weekend and Susanne agreed to help with my mini me so Amelia could get some much needed rest and pampering.

I didn't feel like dressing up just yet since dinner wasn't until 7, so I opted for a pair of black yoga pants, a white blouse with a bunch of small flowers on it, and a blush colored cardigan to go on top. The struggle now and days was putting on my shoes so I opted to just throw on my slip on black Vans.

Arriving at Amelia's apartment, I let myself in like usually, smiling at Susanne who was quick to come over and greet me with Little Bel in her arms. Hugging the southern woman and giving her a kiss on the cheek, I took Bel from her when she handed her over and smoothered my mini me in kisses, giggling when she tried to squirm away.

"Well good morning, Princesa. Have you been behaving for your grandma?" I asked her with a bright smile before carrying her in my arms and invading Amelia's room.

"Good morning birthday girl! How do you feel? Are you ready for a much needed pamper day?" I asked my best friend with a beaming smile. I knew what Jaydens big present for her was and I was more than ecstatic for Amelia to find out.

Amelia
Newborns are no joke Since we brought little Isabel home a little over a week and a half ago, I was exhausted. I was eternally grateful that Jayden and his parents were here to help, I knew if I didn't have them for support right now, I would go completely insane, but still, for the most part, our daughter was my responsibility. I was the one she depended on feeding and comfort and while I was overjoyed she recognized me and for the most part, only wanted me, I just wanted to sleep. For now, Bel was still waking up every two hours, and no amount of expresso could make me feel alive.

Glaring over in Isabel's direction when she made her way into my room, I laughed sarcastically.

"I'm ready to go to sleep for more than two hours of time, no amount of concealer could conceal the bags under my eyes but here I am, trying because you're so damn insistent." Sighing, I set down the brush and looked over to her biting my lip.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I'm just, tired and in pain. But anyway, what do you have planned for us since we can't follow our usual ritual of a bottle of tequila and a bottle of whiskey? We're so lame this year," I said in a delirious laugh as Isabel handed off the baby to me when she started to whimper to be fed. Shaking my head, I grinned when Roo pranced into the room to check on the baby.

"She's fine, Roo, just demanding," I teased as Roo took her usual spot my feet like I nursed her and went back to finish getting ready for the day, or at least, attempted to make myself look presentable to the public.

"This is too much work, it's my birthday, why can't we just nap? You should be sleeping anyway it won't last much longer."

Isabel
"Oh shush, you don't look dead and you can honestly sleep when you're dead. I have a day full of pampering which includes a trip to get our nails done and a trip to the spa so you'll get some much needed relaxation," I said with a smile, taking Isabel back in my arms after her mother nursed her. While Amelia finished getting dressed, I spent the time with my niece, admiring her and playing with her, laughing to myself when she gooed. I was a sucker for her already and I knew once Mateo was born, they would both have me wrapped around their fingers.

"It's crazy thinking about how Mateo and Bel will be the same age and growing up together. Hopefully their memories will be in a newsroom," I said with another laugh, remembering when Amelia and I used to talk about the places we grew up, mine being HEB and hers being Lowes. I still thought a newsroom was a step up.

"Now, finish getting dressed because we have appointments, Amelia, not walk ins, and I'm looking forward to some much needed us time because with Dawson back to being a pilot I've been alone and the hormones are not helping."

Amelia
"Okay okay, I'm going, Miss demanding, I'm not the spa type so I don't know why in your right mind you would do this," I I replied, scavenging my closet for a summertime dress because there was no way I was going to attempt paints today, I was still too sore.

Deciding on a red-and-white-striped dress with a plunging neckline just to tease (lol) I walked out of the closet rolling my eyes at the fact that Isabel got the baby to sleep.

"Wow, I hate you," I scathed, going to kiss her baby cheeks because they were just too cute to deny and she smelled heavenly. Looking up at Isabel, I gave her a depleted expression that turned into a pout.

"I don't want to leave her." Tears almost in my eyes as I ran my hand over her small head of hair.

Damn it. I'm a mess. She'll be okay.

"
C'mon she's part of our pack now. We can't leave her. I did name her after you, and you're going to leave her behind? Rude."

Isabel
I couldn't believe Amelia was asking me to take Little Bel along with us on the morning out I planned for her to be away and relax. It shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did. The two had only been home for a week and a half now and I could completely understand that it was too soon to separate the two. Releasing a dramatic sigh, I looked down at the baby sleeping in my arms before looking back up to Amelia. Shaking my head, I relented.

"Okay okay, Little Bel gets to go with us but now I have to change our plans because there's no way in hell I'm taking her into a nail salon with all those chemicals," Leaving the room, I went back downstairs to let Susanne know. I was going to invite Jayden's mother, but just like Amelia, I could see the exhaustion lingering in her eyes. I could only assume everyone was adjusting to the newborn. I remember what that was like.

Considering I've gone through something similar to this three times, I knew having my son wouldn't phase me much differently than the past. I knew I was going to be just as protective of him as Amelia already was with Bel and I embraced that fact.

Going back to Amelia's room, I handed off my niece to finish gathering all the things we would need before I carried them out to the car and loaded them up, groaning when I felt the smallest pinch in my back from the lifting and movement.

She really has me doing this huh?

After getting everything in the car, I went back inside to grab Bel from Amelia and set her in the car seat, not surprised when Amelia opted to sit in the back with her rather than in the front.

"Alright well, since today has to be baby friendly, we can go snag breakfast at Overeasy on me," Driving away from the apartment complex, I headed straight for Commerce street, parking in valet and paying for it because I was not about to fuss around with parking today. Helping Amelia with Little Bel, I walked into the cute restaurant and requested a table for two and a half, smiling when the waitress remembered me. I came here often enough.

Sitting down, I ordered an iced mocha because I knew I would need it. I was sad I couldn't get the usual mamosa.

"What do you want to do after this other than sleep?" I asked my best friend while browsing the menu.

Amelia
"Sleep," I teased, ordering the usual simple water. Turning back to Isabel I shrugged my shoulders. "I wasn't expecting to do anything today, honestly, love. But I appreciate the effort. I love you." I was just overwhelmed with joy to be in Isabel's presence for the day after the months we spent apart during her time on the border. I missed her terribly, it was difficult to go through Jayden's uncertainty and the majority of my pregnancy without her. Of course, she was my best friend and I wanted her to be present for those things in my life, but I knew more than anyone how much the Mexico coverage. She spent years only ever talking about it, so when it became a reality I was more than proud of her for achieving such a milestone.

"Whatever you're up for, I don't know how you're feeling today, but I should take the baby to see Jayden or he might kill me. We haven't taken her out yet, Opps. I hope things are going well for him this week now that he's back at the station, but we won't talk about the men today. How are you?" I asked curiously, between us, since she's been home we hadn't had the time to just sit down and talk and what I missed the most.

Isabel
"Today I'm feeling pretty good honestly. I take it as my son giving me a day off so I can give his Aunt Amelia all the things on her special day," I said with a gentle laugh, resting a hand on my stomach the minute I began talking about the life currently growing in my stomach. Amelia mentioning that we would have to stop by to see Jayden wasn't a surprise to me. I was just super excited to be out with the two of them now, especially considering I got to be part of Amelia's first day out.

I didn't know how to answer Amelia's question on if I was okay again. I was adjusting to being back in Dallas, the city that would forever have my heart. I decided to make the move back when Jayden's trial started. I needed a secure job the minute I got back but I was able to land one at D Magazine. I was more than grateful for it, especially since I was caring for a child. I happily took on the Visuals Editor position, one I never thought I would actually enjoy as much as I do, but it may also be because I still get to be out on assignment whenever I feel like, and I can still write stories.

Letting out a sigh, I realized I had yet to answer Amelia's question.

"Aha, it's been busy. Too busy if you ask me but that's what comes with an editor position huh. Other than that, Dawson's been out almost every weekend because he is flying again and I've just been trying to get things ready for the baby as much as I can. Dawson and I haven't talked out a living arrangement so I'm just assuming the nursery will be in my studio."

Amelia
"You're funny if you honestly think that, best friend. I think, maybe you should put more faith into Dawson than you have. He loves you and Mateo, he's not going to leave you hanging. You'll never learn to stop over thinking things and trust that someone else has things under control. Just breathe." Indirectly, I knew I let off more than I was supposed to, but I knew Isabel wouldn't rat me out when she discovered just what Dawson had up his sleeve. He should have known better when he confided in me that I wouldn't keep his secrets entirely.

I was enjoying the conversation between Isabel until I picked up on something. We were being watched. Going stiff when the waitress brought our coffees, Isabel picked up on my change in demeanor. Not wanting to draw attention to the fact I was being overly observant, I smiled and continued the conversation while I texted her.

"Your friends are here, with their cameras." Clearing my throat, I set the phone back on the table, keeping a smile. Pulling the car seat that was facing me closer to me, I picked up my daughter and covered her with a blanket against my chest, so no one could see her. I knew that's what they wanted.

After the trial, we still remained in the spotlight from time to time because everyone wanted to see the daughter Jayden now got to experience, but still, it was an invasion of privacy and my daughter was an innocent child who I was not going to let me harassed by media for her to find later on in her life when all of this blew over. Not to mention, if Jayden saw one picture of her anywhere, his reaction in protecting me would look like child's play.

It was annoying, to put in simple terms, but I wasn't going to allow the attention to make me run away, every time I went out in public, and I wasn't going to kee
p my baby locked up in a tiny apartment because that was no way for her to become accustomed to the outside world. This was a standoff, and sometimes, I think the surrounding media outlets forgot I knew all their tips and tricks because I used to be one of them.

Isabel
I tried not to overthink what Amelia said in regards to my boyfriend having things planned out. I hated not being in the loop, it drove me insane and everyone knew that considering they knew my overthinking habits but I chose not to dwell too much on it. I knew with time, Dawson would probably bring up whatever it is he confided in Amelia about, and when he did I was going to have to act surprised and not snitch on my best friend. I just didn't feel like the pilot and I were doing a lot of communication considering we were both back in our heavy demanding careers, and asking him to stop doing what he loved was something I would never do. I wasn't planning on leaving the journalism world ever so I could never ask Dawson to leave his for me.

As breakfast continued on, the more I was beginning to enjoy myself, especially because today was all about Amelia and I didn't get enough days with just my best friend lately. When I saw her demeanor change, however, the hair on my arms stood up and I instantly became worried. I knew she saw something that I didn't, one of the reasons I didn't enjoy being the one to sit with my back facing everyone. When she picked up her phone and then set it down, I did the same with mine, reading the text and releasing an irritated sigh.

Grabbing my coffee, I took a sip while I also continued to hold conversation, but when there was the smallest chance, I looked back and instantly came eye-to-eye with three photographers. Two I knew, one from the Dallas Morning News. Smiling, I waved at all three of them.

"Hey you guys! Long time no see. Still doing staff work huh?" I asked, seeing Anthony's face instantly drop. "I'd eat y'all's breakfast and leave. It's hard to think photographers with such skill as y'all have succumb to paparazzi work." With that, I turned back around and smiled at Amelia, trying to ignore the expression she gave me.

"Oh come on. It was fun. Plus I know all of them. Now they won't do jack shit."

Amelia
"You're ridiculous," I whispered, keeping the baby at my chest, not trusting that no one else would show up. Now I was on high alert and would be for the duration of time we were out.

After breakfast, the next stop was to go visit Jayden. But first, I had to take my daughter to meet someone while I picked up Jayden's usual bland coffee. Stepping inside the cafe, I nearly squealed when I saw Lindsey was working. It had been at least six months since I was in here and I was terrified that she wouldn't be here. I wanted her to meet our daughter. Jayden and I had come so far in the last three years, but I wasn't one to forget how and where we started with our notes and of course our loyal note passer.

Giggling when Linsdey nearly jumped across the counter to say hello, I accepted her tight embrace, nearly crying when she let go. "I brought you a visitor," I whispered, "But you can't rat me out to Jayden, he doesn't know I snuck her out today."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back