• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Jayden
I wasn't surprised when the prosecution decided to take out all of the human aspect of what happened between Luciano and I. Sticking by the rule book and bringing up that I didn't follow protocol and had an emotional attachment to Amelia was the only way she could defend herself and her stupid ass client in this court. Everyone knew the public and pretty much the entire city of Dallas was on the defenses side but I also knew Alyssa Hampton. She was good at what she did in these court rooms and I wasn't surprised when she took on this case. She wasn't going to make this trial easy.

The more she spoke, the more tense I got, especially when she refused to name Amelia and say what her client did to my wife in the span of those twenty-four hours. It was upsetting that she continued to paint me out to be the one in the wrong, which didn't phase me much, but the minute she brought Isabel and Dawson into I knew this trail was going to be messy. I also knew, both of my closest friends were going to have to testify against me. That was something Amelia wouldn't be here for and I didn't blame her. I could only imagine how the Texans would be on oath at the stand.

I tensed up once she reached the end, because the damn bitch brought up me abusing police privilege in this case. Everyone who knew me knows I don't play by that damn bullshit. I've never once pulled that card, or pulled the white privilege card. Alyssa was trying to make an example out of me, a white male who is a city police officer and killed an "innocent" man because of my power. That was abuse in her eyes, but it was also more than she was letting on. Everyone in this city knew Alyssa Hampton had a trend for picking up cases against officers, because we all knew she enjoyed trying to hold us accountable. It also brought in big bucks for her and lots of media attention because she was the only prosecutor in the city who dared to try the department on basis of something that was never going to go away in this day and age: Police brutality. Fucking bitch.

Feeling Cameron's hand on my tense shoulder, I released the deep breath I was holding and gave a simple nod, knowing Cameron would defend me to the very end. Just like Alyssa was good at her job of defending well-known criminals, Cameron one of the city's best Defense Attorneys and I had to have all my faith in her because she knew how to handle this case and courtroom. In the very least, all I could hope for if I was convicted was for me to have a life sentence rather than death. From a distance, it would give me the chance to meet my child and attempt to be in their life as best as I could. It wasn't fair to Amelia that there was a chance I was going to be thrown into the wolves, especially considering what all it took for us to have a child of our own.

That isn't what I really want but if worse comes to worse, I still want to be alive for my family. For mine and Amelia's child. A blessing we both decided we wanted after losing our first.

July 20, 2023
Chicago, Illinois

Jayden's 27th Birthday

Jayden
My birthday was never a big deal for me. It was just another day where I got older, nothing special about it, but this birthday was even more nerve-wracking than any previous one because Amelia and I were in Chicago. We got in last night, not that I actually wanted to be here, but after spending the past three weeks as husband and wife, she brought up the topic of meeting my parents a little too much, and I knew keeping her from them wasn't fair to anyone. I needed to get a grip on my childlike emotions and make the trip out with her. I missed the city, and my family, and I think now was a good time to face everything I left behind, at least I hoped.

When I woke up the following morning, I smiled when I felt Amelia next to me. Shifting so that I was facing her back, I wrapped my arm around her waist and planted a gentle kiss on her neck. Releasing a content hum when I felt the slightest movement for her, I chuckled, my breath hot against her ear.

"Good morning. Can you believe we're currently in Chicago because I can't," I whispered before releasing a chuckle, laying back on the bed with a yawn. "Mom and dad are ready to meet you. I told them we would drive to the house after we get ready. Was there anything in particular that you wanted to do before you meet the Acciolli clan?"

Amelia
"I'm sure you can't," I whispered sleepily, rubbing the sleep from my eyes before turning over to my husband in a sheepish grin, kissing him in greeting. "Happy birthday, Handsome." Sitting up, I shrugged at his question, running my fingers through my wild bedhead to contain it for now. "It's your birthday and you're from here, even though you try to deny it, so you pick."

What Jayden didn't know was that his parents were so ecstatic that he was home on his birthday they were throwing him a surprise party and invited the entire extended family. Of course, I was also excited to finally get the chance to meet everyone, but I was a little nervous, to say the least. I never pictured that when I finally convinced Jayden to take the trip home that we would already be married, but like most everything these days, that was out of our control now.

"Is there anything you want to show me?"

I was going to enjoy the freedom of not being chased around by the press here, it was refreshing to pull away from the chaos back at home and get to spend some time together in peace and quiet, it was almost as if we were back in our own bubble again.

Jayden
I contemplated the question Amelia asked me for a second as I thought of places I loved going to while I grew up here. Smiling softly at her while she sat up, I followed suit and released another yawn before I shrugged. "There's several places I could show you, like if we're going super touristy Millennium Park, the observatory deck or even Chinatown." I had a feeling Amelia wasn't going to want to do any of the touristy things so I opted to suggest my favorite spot out of the entire city.

"Or, if you're up for it, we can spend out afternoon at the riverwalk. I used to go all the time growing up here. If I was ever not at my house, chances were you could find me there," Smiling at Amelia, I stood up before I walked to my luggage to pick out something to wear. Before making the trip to the house I grew up in, I knew I was going to need sometime to myself with Amelia in an attempt to gather my thoughts and emotions so that way when we arrived, I didn't let the past hinder me.

Are you doing yourself any favors with going to the riverwalk though?

Releasing a sigh to myself, I knew my self-conscience was right. The riverwalk was not only spot but mine and my uncle's. It was our safe haven, somewhere we disappeared to despite all the tourists that surronded the area. For us, that's why it was so easy to hide. We were from this city, but in a spot like that, no one would know. We usually sat under a particular spot under the bridge, and I knew the minute I went back there, I was going to fall victim to my thoughts. Especially since all I have left of that tradition with the hero in my life was us talking about my future.

"One day, I hope you bring your kids out here, Jay. You're own family. I hope they get to enjoy this spot as much as we do." Kids. God, if only.

After loosing our first child, Amelia and I never once brought up the idea of having another. I didn't even think it was possible for her to considering the kind of miscarriage she had and the doctors repeatedly saying the chances of us having one again were slim to none. That sucked. Blinking when I felt arms wrap around me, I released a deep sigh for the third time since I woke up, placing my hands on top of Amelia's dainty one, playing with the wedding band on her finger. When I heard her ask what I was thinking about, I bit my lip.

"Truthfully?" I asked her. "A lot of things. I want to take you out to the riverwalk. I promised him when I had a family of my own, I would take them up to our spot. It sucks knowing our child wasn't able to see it." I whispered faintly, not really wanting to have this talk. "But, enough about that, we should get ready." Get it together, Jay. We don't need to discuss kids. Not know even though you so desperately wish you could.

Amelia
"Wherever you want to go, my love," I whispered, kissing his bare shoulders before he got up out of bed to start getting ready for the day. Picking up my phone to read the news for the day while he did, I looked up again when I noticed he hadn't moved, the feeling in the pit of my stomach eating at me as I watched him remain in a trance-like state,

He's in his head again. Help him.

Getting up from the bed, I walked over him gently, careful not to startle him wrapping my arms around him in an effort to console him. I knew it was difficult to be here, where he lost the one person who meant the most to him, but this was something we all wanted him to finally heal from and move past. I knew Jayden's uncle, whose name I still didn't even know, wouldn't want him to sulk like this every time he stepped foot back in this city.

"What are you thinking, Jay?" I asked, not letting go. When he asked, to be honest, I nodded in agreement, but I wasn't prepared for how painful his confession would be. The loss was still something we never mentioned because we both knew how difficult it was for him to handle, and looking at him now, I could see just how badly he wanted kids. It was enough to shatter by heart and hate myself for not taking better care of myself when we had the chance, but I knew right now, I had to keep my composure for his sake. Right now, Jayden needed me to be his wife more than anything and I wasn't going to let him brush this aside when I knew it was something he needed to talk about, even if the conversation didn't end as he hoped, it still needed to be discussed to save his sanity.

"Hey," keeping a gentle tone, I cupped Jayden's face in my hands so he had to look at me. "It's okay, we can talk about this, What are you thinking?"

Jayden
Feeling Amelia's hands cup my face, I did my best to avoid full eye contact but I knew that wasn't an option, especially with how gentle she was being with me considering how much hurt I was currently feeling. Sometimes I hated how soft I could be, how in tune I knew I was with my emotions because it made me so vulnerable and it was annoying.

Looking into Amelia's eyes, I tried my hardest to mask my hurt but knew it just wasn't possible. She already knew I was in my head, not only because of Uncle Jack but also for the one we lost.

"We don't have to, Melia. I don't want to ruin the mood," I whispered softly, closing my eyes for a moment before I opened them and looked back at my wife, the loving woman before me. "I'm thinking about how we lost our child. How they won't be able to go to the riverwalk with us today like I promised Jack I would do. How I desperately want a child but know right now we can't and that's okay, because you're all the family I need."

I took Amelia's hands into my own, giving them a tight grip while I continued to playing with the wedding band on her finger.

"I just sometimes wish I knew what our little one would've been like, you know?"

Last edited:
Amelia
"Yeah, I know, I'm sorry, you know if I could change it for you I would. But, if that's something you want, then we could look into the options we have." It was almost ludicrous to me that I was making the suggestion to try for a child, but I knew it was something that Jayden was never going to give in, and seeing how could he was with children, it would be a tragedy if a man like Jayden never had the opportunity to have at least one child of his own. I was willing to do that for him after the sacrifice he made, running his reputation to save my life and having a piece of him with me even if he couldn't be put me at ease with what we were walking into.

"We still have a chance, even if it's slim, it's not an impossibility and even if it was, adoption is always an option too, so what I'm saying is, you shouldn't be writing it off completely to make me happy. I think we need to stop avoiding this conversation and actually discuss it."

Jayden
Amelia talking about there being other options for us shocked me. I knew after dating her for quite sometime, and now being married to her, having children was something Amelia never saw herself doing and I didn't want to bring this conversation considering her miscarriage and very slim chances. Releasing a soft sigh, I nodded gently before pulling Amelia closer into my arms, hugging her while I kissed the top of her head.

"I just never knew how to go about bringing this up. I didn't want to upset you, and I know having a child was never on your mind so I just opted not to mention anything at all," I whispered softly before pulling away and cupping her face in my hands now, smiling softly at her. "We'll look into everything later. Right now, I have a place I want to take you to and then maybe in the future, somewhere I'll bring our little family."

Kissing Amelia softly, I pulled away afterwards, going back to my suitcase so I could pick out an outfit for the day. I wasn't entirely sure what to go with but considering we were going down to the riverwalk and then my parent's house, I figured something nice but casual would suffice. Putting on a pair of black jeans and a light grey button up, I rolled the sleeves up to my elbows since it was a bit warmer outside. Walking back into the bedroom area, I smiled when I saw Amelia in a yellow sundress.

"You look absolutely gorgeous, Vix." I said lightly as I took her into my arms again and plated a soft kiss to her forehead.

Amelia
When we pulled into Jayden's parents' driveway a couple of hours later after adventuring the city he grew up in, the nerves overwhelmed me. Not just because literally, Jayden's entire family was waiting for him inside after a decade of not seeing him but through pictures on his social media, but because they also were anticipating my arrival as his wife, a woman they have never met. To top it all off, Jayden had no idea what was about to happen.

Needless to say, there was potential for a lot to go wrong. Jayden could become triggered, any number of people could decide they hated me and Jayden could decide this whole trip was a mistake and actually never come back. But of course, I had to keep all of this to myself otherwise Jayden would become overly suspicious.

Smiling over at him, I squeezed his hand in reassurance.

"Are you ready?" I asked before we took the plunge together. Getting out of the car, I walked up to the front door with him, his holding onto his arm, still trying to calm myself down while not having the slightest idea what to expect from anyone.

"I'm sure they're excited to see you," I whispered, my heart beating rapid fire against my chest when the door slowly began to open.

Jayden
Surprise! Happy Birthday!

Confetti shot into the air the minute the door opened all the way and the amount of people in the house was enough to overwhelm me considering I wasn't expecting my entire family to be, just my parents. Trying to conceal how I was feeling inside, my stomach dropping, I plastered on a fake genuine smile, giving Amelia's hand a tight squeeze before I let out a laugh and tried to be what my family members needed me to be: excited and happy to see them.

"Well I'll be damned, I wasn't expecting all of that," I said playfully, lightening up the mood before I let go of Amelia and took my mom, Susan, into a hug the minute she ran over to me. "Hi momma."

"Here I thought you were never comin' back. I was fixin' to fly to Texas since it was taking ya so damn long." After my mom and I pulled away from our hug, I smiled when my dad, Matthew, made his way over. I took him into a hug as well.

"Hey dad," I said before we pulled away.

"Well shit son, it's been what? Ten years? How's Texas treating you? Don't you miss the north?" My dad asked in a rapid fire manner that I was used. He always did that growing up.

"Yeah, it's been ten years but I'm back and hopefully I can keep comin' back," Smiling gently, I reached for Amelia's hand and brought her to my side, looking at my moms reaction. "Guys, this is Amelia."

"I know who she is. Don't think I haven't been messagin' her since you mentioned who she was," My mom said, quickly going over to Amelia and taking her into a tight hug. "Goodness gracious, you're prettier in person. It's a pleasure to finally meet you, darlin'. I hope my son has been treating you right. Be honest. I'll beat him if he isn't."

Watching my mom interact with Amelia brought a genuine smile to my face rather than the one that was previously plastered. I knew mom and dad were going to eat Amelia up. They were waiting for this day longer than I ever had and I knew they both would love her. I wasn't surprised to find out from my mom that her and Amelia talk, however. That sounded just like something the two southern women in my life would do.

"I also hope you're ready to eat. I don't know if you've ever been to a southern gathering but we have food and lots of it." Chuckling at my mom, I shook my head before walking back to Amelia and wrapping my arms around her waist from the back.

"She's from Florida, Ma. She fits right in here." I said before planting a soft kiss to her neck when my mom began leading us into the house and then went to being the good host she always was while my dad went to sit in his go-to spot in the living room. Smiling when we were finally in the house, I could feel Amelia tense at the sight of all my extended family her but I gave her hands a squeeze before kissing her cheek. "You'll be okay. If anything I'm more nervous about this than you are. C'mon. I'll introduce ya to everyone and then we can meet mom in the kitchen."

Looking at Amelia's curious and confused gaze, I blinked, unsure as to what she was curious about. Her giggle was infectious and I immediately became worried. "What?"

OOC: I CAN'T HANDLE THE SOUTHERN DRAWL COMING FROM JAYDEN'S MOUTH WTF
Amelia
What the hell did I just walk into? Who is this man and what happened to my husband? From the time his parents bombarded him, I couldn't contain my laughter. Jayden had mentioned his mom was from the south, but when I agreed to come here, the last thing I expected was to walk into a southern southern home; and I sure as hell didn't expect Jayden to start talking like a Covington the second he saw his mother.

When she made eye contact with me the smile widened across my face. "Hi," I replied sweetly in a timid wave before we tightly embraced laughing at Susan's question, I nodded.

"I think he treats me pretty alright I think but I'll let ya know if it changes." Shrugging my shoulders playfully, laughing again when she asked if I was down to eat.

I love this woman.

Following Susan into the kitchen I did my best to combust at Jayden's codeswitch. I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself around a house full of people I didn't know by laughing like a banshee. Jayden caught onto me though, and when he looked at me confused I had to let go of my endless giggles. Shaking my head, I caught my breath.

"Nothing, I just didn't know I married a southern momma's boy," I whispered as we dashed into the living room to visit the rest of the family.

Jayden
A southern momma's boy, huh? Not wrong there.

After introducing Amelia to the rest of my extended family, most of which were from my mothers side so I wasn't surprised by the amount of food made, I lead her back to the kitchen where I grabbed a plate and looked at the counter full of food. I felt my mouth watering instantly at the sight of my favorite options: mom's mac and cheese and Aunt Mae's barbecue sausage.

Handing Amelia the plate I currently had, I smiled at her gently before standing behind her so she could serve herself first.

"You know how these dinners work. I suggest grabbing what you want and grabbing it fast," I told Amelia gently and after we both had our servings, I lead her back towards the living room and sat down on the love seat with her, pulling the coffee table closer so we had a spot to put our plates.

"Is that a ring on that there finger of hers, Jayden?" I heard my cousin Avery ask. Blinking, I looked over at her and then gave a sheepish grin. I forgot that I hadn't introduced Amelia as my wife.

"Yes, Avery, it is." I said simply. "Amelia is my wife."

That single sentence of four words brought so much attention to the woman sitting next to me and I. I didn't know how to handle it but I tried my hardest to relax and not really let any emotions show.

"Oh, y'all hush up and leave the newly weds alone!" I heard my mother call out and the minute she did, everyone became quiet and went back to what they were doing. Everyone know my mom ran the household and she was the last person you wanted to test.

"Sorry about that, darlin'. These people can be vultures at times but they mean well. How long are y'all here for? How'd the wedding go?" My mom asked before she sat down in the recliner next to us with her plate in hand.

"It was nice for a quick courthouse wedding." I said simply, not trying to go into the technicalities. My parents knew about what Amelia and I were currently going through but I wasn't all that thrilled to have to explain it to the rest of the clan.

Amelia
Sensing Jayden becoming uncomfortable with the conversation, I rested a hand on his lap out of habit, keeping an eye on him and only paying attention to his mother for now since she was the only one acknowledging me for the time being.

"We'll make up for it later though, and we'll be sure to invite everyone, we just wanted something small and between us for the time being."

We weren't going to bring up why we married so hastily right now. It was Jayden's birthday and I knew we both just wanted to spend a day with his family without having to think about what we were facing back home in Texas. If anyone in this room didn't already know, they didn't need to find out today. They needed to be content with the fact that Jayden was here after keeping a distance for so long.

"Are you sure you didn't have to bribe such a pretty girl to be with you, Jay?" I heard his grandpa call from the kitchen.

"He did, actually," I replied matter-of-factly. "Your grandson is pretty relentless and his persistence got on my nerves at first, if we're being honest, I wanted him to take the hint, but he sure knew how to convince me otherwise."

The conversation was nice, it made both of us more comfortable in assimilating into the family, and after a while, I saw a genuine grin return to Jayden's face as everyone took their turns playing twenty questions with me now that they had the chance to meet me. From my perspective, I hoped things were going well, but for all, I knew all of this could be a fake front to please Jayden and his parents.

As presents were being passed around the room to Jayden though, I began to relax, trusting this was natural. Keeping my seat next to him, I watched him open each gift, his smile growing with each one. The family's reaction was priceless too, I could tell as they all awaited his reactions, snapping pictures of the two of us on their phones, they missed this. They had too many birthdays to make up for after all.

After many plates of foods and piles of presents, the extended family slowly began to trickle out of Jayden's childhood home one by one, each saying their farewells to the both of us. Now, we were sitting in the kitchen with Jayden's parents sipping homemade sweet tea and talking. It was when my mother-in-law starting asking me what I wanted for us next, I curiously watched Jayden's dad make an escape out of the kitchen and vanish down the hall. He returned a few minutes later, but didn't approach us right away, instead, he watched us chat with his wife for a few minutes before he re-entered the room, almost like he was building up his courage for what he was about to do next.

When he finally made the stride toward us, he made eye contact with me first, giving gave me a grin while resting a hand on Jayden's shoulder from behind. Something about the gesture seemed gentle and oddly out of the ordinary which raised my curiosity as Matthew passed off a card to his son that I noticed was faded with age and yellow at its edges.

"I didn't want to give this to you earlier because I knew it would have been too much with everyone here, but this is a wedding present for the both of you." He prefaced, clearing his throat before he continued, hesitantly almost afraid as he looked onto his son.

"Go head and open it, Jay, It's yours. I've just been holding on to it until you found the right woman to spend your life with, and I think it's pretty obvious you have."

Jayden
The time with my family went rather smoothly, to the point where I was able to relax and enjoy everyone's company. It had been ten years since I left the city and I knew my family was more than happy to have me back, celebrating my birthday with me after missing ten of them. They made up for their absence with the amount of presents I received today, however. There was more than I thought I could take home but I knew I was going to try. The more time I spent with everyone, the more I wish I hadn't distanced myself like I did. I knew that wasn't Jack would have wanted but my uncle was my best friend and losing him tore me to pieces, something my parents were aware of.

After everyone left, I sat at the kitchen table with my wife and parents, drinking my moms homemade sweet tea out of the classic mason jars she never got rid of. Releasing a content sigh after taking a sip, I noticed my father had left the table but I didn't pay much mind to it. When he came back to join us, though, I noticed his hand shaking while he handed me a card that was faded with age and yellow at the edges. Looking at my father curiously, I took the card, turning it to see what was written on the front of the envelope.

Seeing that chicken scratch handwriting, my heart began to beat quickly, my mind racing with thoughts as to what could possibly be inside. My name was written on the front by my Uncle Jack, indicating that this card was from him. Swallowing the lump that began to form in my throat, I noticed my hand was now the one shaking. My dad was right, it would have been too much to handle in front of everyone. It was hard enough to handle in front of him, mom and Amelia.

Opening the back of the envelope, I pulled out the card, biting my lip as I read what was on the front.

For my Son with love,

Your wedding day is a happy day for me, Son.
You're gaining a beautiful life partner and I'm gaining a wonderful new member to our family.

Shaking my head, I tried to fight back the tears, not wanting to cry in front of everyone. Opening the card, I read the rest of what was generically put on the card.

But more than anything

I'm happy to see you happy
and to know that a life of joy
and togetherness is waiting for you

Wishing you all the best,
Jack

There was that chicken scratch handwriting yet again, his name signed at the bottom of the generic text of the card. Laughing to myself, I pulled out another envelope that was inside the card, but when I did I saw his handwriting all over the blank part of the card. I didn't want to read it. I knew if I did I would cry.

"Asshole," I said out loud, taking a deep breath before I continued reading.

Jay,

Call me crazy for doing this so early in your life but I have a gut feeling you'll find someone special, unlike your old uncle.
I left your father in charge of this gift, mainly because I had to talk about it with him before I did it. Listen Jay, I'm giving you this card because the envelope inside will have everything you and your lovely bride need to get started on your lives together. You, my son, deserve this and so much more. Everything that I've ever made was all for you. I never got to have a family of my own but I didn't need one with a sidekick like you. You're doing amazing, Jay. Keep it up. Know that I love you always and I'm always a phone call away if you need anything.
Uncle Jack.

"Dad, what the hell is this?" I asked him, holding up the other white envelope that was sealed inside the card. When my dad refused to speak on the matter, I released another sigh, opening the envelope and pulling out the papers that were inside. What I was reading next took my breath away and with shaking hands, I set the papers down and looked at my dad. No fucking way. "Oh my god."

"What is it, Jayden?" I heard my mom ask but I was getting lost in my thoughts again. Two million fucking dollars. TWO MILLION. Jack, what the hell? Your original gift was smaller than this but two million? You really made me your sole benefactor, huh? Not even surprised you wouldn't let me touch it until I married someone. Jerk.

Feeling a dainty hand rest on mine, I looked up at Amelia, fighting the tears that threatened to fall. With this money, I could give her the world, everything she ever deserved. I promise I will.

"It's Jack being Jack, Ma," I whispered softly. "An inheritance, for me, his sole benefactor. Only rule was, I couldn't touch anything until I got married."

Amelia
The inheritance came as a shock for both of us, but the trip back to Chicago set a new beginning for all of us. I wanted Jayden's parents to know I wouldn't let him pull away again, they would be a part of their son's life from now on and soon, hopefully, their grandkids live too.

About a month after our trip to Chicago, in August, Jayden and I started making plans to start trying to get pregnant again. We didn't tell anyone in fear of failing again, so it was our little secret, I didn't even tell Isabel. After visiting a specialist, I started taking crazy amounts of hormone shots and we went in every month to hopefully discover some good news.

Unfortunately, even with the treatments, things weren't looking like they were working, and every month when the doctors told us nothing was happening, Jayden took it harder each time. After three months of trying and failing, I could tell he was getting flustered with all the time, energy and money we were putting into this, only to be heartbroken all over again each time. I almost couldn't stand to see it. It was difficult for both of us to not see any results, for me, my hormones were constantly out of balance making me tired and over-emotional, but I decided we would try it one last time, and if it didn't work, we would leave it alone.

It was now towards the end of December, Isabel just went back to her assignment at the border after spending her birthday and Christmas at home, it was literally the morning after she left and Jayden and I were back in the same room where we were disappointed three times before. This whole experience was surreal and I felt dirty for keeping it from Isabel, but I knew this was something I had to keep to myself until after it was over, whether that be us deciding we were done trying to start a family this way, or with a baby, I wanted however I told my best friend to be a personal moment between us and not just mentioned in our casual phone conversations.

Squeezing Jayden's cold hands while we waited for the specialist to enter the room, I looked up at him optimistically when he sighed heavily tapping his foot anxiously, more than likely bracing himself for another disappointment.

"I love you," I whispered before the door opened and the doctor made her way in with the same smile every time she saw us.

"My fingers and toes are crossed for you today," she said with a smile before she asked the usual questions pertaining to possible symptoms that I always overlooked in fear of getting my own hopes up. Not letting go of Jayden when he looked away when she started the sonogram, I winced at how quick he was to turn away, the silence almost suffocating. After about two minutes of silence, I sighed heavily, letting go of the breath I was holding, thinking for sure it was another no.

Damn it.

But then, I heard it. The faintest sound that sounded like a heartbeat.

Gasping, I turned to look, smiling when the doctor nodded in her own excitement.

"Love! Look!" I exclaimed hitting Jayden aggressively. "We did it!" Burying my head into his shoulder, I started to tear up.

We did it. There's a baby inside of me.

"That's our baby," I whispered when I pulled away, but only for a moment as I failed to compose myself.

That's when the doctor told us the last time we were here it must have been too early to tell because I was already six weeks.

"What do you think?" I asked Jayden gently when he finally looked at the screen.

Jayden
I was tired of going into the same room and every time being told nothing was working and there was no child for Amelia and I. With each visit it became harder for me to take the news, and it made it almost impossible for me to be optimistic in our fourth attempt. I enjoyed Isabel’s birthday and Christmas with them but after she left, I was dreading what was to come. I didn’t think I had it in me to go back to that room again but Amelia and I agreed this was the last chance and if it didn’t work then we would try something else. Releasing a deep sigh, I smiled down at Amelia when she came out of the room and into the living room. Taking her hand, I lead her out of the apartment and to my car, driving us while lost in my thoughts. I couldn’t take another heartbreak.

Once in the room, I was quick to look away from the screen, knowing this time around was probably going to end up like the others. There was no child growing in Amelia and we would have to go to plan b. It sucked but I couldn’t bring myself to look at the empty screen but I didn’t leave Amelia’s side while the sonogram was taking place. I held her hand and bit my lip, fighting back more tears of heartbreak when no sound of a heartbeat could be hurt.

That’s it. It’s over.

Feeling a couple of tears roll down my cheeks, I was so consumed in my negative thoughts that I didn’t hear the heartbeat until I felt Amelia aggressively hit me. Looking at her rather puzzled, I felt my heart skip a beat while my child’s went at a normal rate and the sound was all I heard. My tears soon turned into those of joy and I kissed the top of Amelia’s head when she nestled into my shoulder, nodding in response to what she said.

“Yeah, that’s our baby,” I whispered to my wife, wiping away my tears when the doctor explained that Amelia was six weeks. That was a shock to believe but my smile never left my face, especially not when I saw how happy Amelia was. “I think our baby is going to be a lot like their mother.”

Leaning down, I kissed Amelia lovingly, pulling away with a chuckle as I rested my forehead against hers.

“We’re going to be parents, Amelia. We’re having a baby.” It was something I never thought I’d say. “I love you.”

March 28
Fort Worth

Amelia
Today was Dawson's birthday and unannounced to him there was going to be a birthday bash for him at the ranch planned by none other than his mom Shelly, and Isabel. Isabel hadn't told him, but she came home to spend his birthday with him. Thank God. Isabel, unfortunately, was the last to know about Baby as Jayden and I called him or her for now. I was now officially halfway through and our next appointment would be the one to tell us whether Baby was a boy or a girl, and I felt like I was going to combust if I had to keep this secret from my best friend any longer. Every time she called to catch up, I debated caving and just telling her over the phone, but I couldn't let go of seeing her reaction in person, it meant too much to me and I hoped she wouldn't be too upset when she realized what I had been keeping from her for so long. It made me anxious. I thought about waiting until after Dawson's party and not going to tell her, not wanting to take away from Dawson's moment but Jayden reassured me Dawson wouldn't mind and I needed to be the one to tell Isabel before Dawson slipped on accident. So, I agreed to go to the party, even though I would be late because i had to work, which was a perfect excuse for my outfit of choice.

To hide the bump, I wore a flowy blouse over a black pair of stretchy maternity slacks and some simple black heels. I knew despite the casual feel of the party Isabel wouldn't be suspicious considering I was coming in from my office job as an advertising manager.

Parking next to Jayden in the ranch's literal parking lot, I texted him to let him know I made it and that I would be in after I shoved this steak quesadilla down my throat. I didn't want to be rude and show up at this party with food, but pregnancy cravings are no joke.

In the ten minutes, it took me to eat it and down half of my water, I prayed no one saw me.

Grabbing my purse, I laughed when I saw Jayden making his way over, shaking his head at me. He got amusement out of my moments of food desperation.

"Don't laugh at me!" I pouted when he opened the door for me, kissing me in greeting. Returning the kiss I smiled against his lips.

"I'm sorry I'm later than I said I would be, I had to finish something before I could leave. How's Dawson? Staked that Isabel's here?" I asked, trying to calm my own nerves about seeing my best friend. I hoped no one was brave enough to open their mouths about my secret, but I couldn't put it past a Covington to spread the gossip. "Is she in a good mood?"

Jayden
I arrived to the ranch before Isabel did. After talking out her plan with her, Shelly and I agreed she would be the last to show up, especially because Isabel wanted to casually walk in through the back door while I had the cowboy preoccupied. It was a very Isabel thing to do and I knew the minute Dawson saw her, he wasn't going to leave her side. Though he supported everything she was currently doing, it didn't mean that the two missed each other endlessly.

Talking to the cowboy after he walked into the house where everyone said surprise, it took me back to when I had my own birthday party but it was fun to see Dawson's reaction to this. As I was talking to him, I casually asked how Isabel was, seeing the sadness in the man's eyes about how his girlfriend wasn't here to celebrate his day with him. I knew he wouldn't admit it to Isabel, but him thinking Isabel wasn't here bothered the crap out of him. It took a lot for me not to crack until she made her presence known.

Glancing at the back door when Shelly walked in, I noticed Isabel walking in behind her and I released a chuckle before I looked back at Dawson who was confused. When he asked what I was laughing at, I shook my head, opting not to say anything.

"I hope your birthday's going great so far, Six." Isabel said, walking closer towards us. Around this time is when I got the text from Amelia, laughing when I read what she said. Her food cravings were funny to me because she had a tendency to crave food she would've never eaten before she started carrying Baby. With Dawson now occupied with his girlfriend, I walked out of the house and out towards Amelia's car, seeing her scarf down the steak quesadilla that has lately been her favorite item to eat from Taco Bell.

Opening the door, I laughed for the countless time when my wife became defensive, leaning down to greet her with a kiss. Pulling away, I could tell she was nervous about seeing Isabel. We hadn't mentioned Baby to my wife's best friend because Amelia wanted it to be in person and this was the first time since we got the news that Isabel was back in North Texas.

"Breathe, Amelia. Dawson's fine, a little fixated on Isabel now that she's here and as for Isabel, she's in more than a good mood. It's going to be okay. She's going to be thrilled once you tell her. Now, c'mon," Taking her hand, I helped her out of her car, closing her door and waiting for her to lock it before I lead her inside. "I like the outfit by the way. Hides the bump rather well. Isabel won't even notice until you tell her."

Isabel
I always said I never liked liars but I did lie to Dawson about me not coming for his birthday. I knew when I told him, he was devastated even if he wouldn't admit it but I was already working on a surprise party for the cowboy with his mother, Shelly. After flying in the night before, I stayed at the go to Airbnb in the Bishop Arts district of Dallas. I reserved it for the weekend just because I knew I wasn't going to be able to be here long. I also knew the chances of me returning there tonight were slim. I was already in Fort Worth and since I was going to the ranch, I might as well spend the night with Dawson.

Dressing in a pair of medium washed jeans with holes over the knees, a white tank top and a black floral jacket over it, I opted to pair the outfit with a pair of nude strappy heels. Leaving my hair naturally down, I grabbed my purse and made the drive to Fort Worth. I showed up a bit later than everyone else because I really wanted Dawson to believe I wasn't going to be there.

When I arrived, I met Shelly at the back door, following her inside and laughing to myself when Jayden and I made contact for a brief second. Walking closer to them, I felt everyone's eyes on me but I didn't care. I was here for Dawson, no one else.

"I hope your birthday's going great so far, Six." I said with a bright smile on my face, standing a foot away from him while I waited for him to turn around. When he did I giggled when he was quick to make his way over to me and took me into the tightest embrace. Kissing him lovingly, I pulled away softly. "Feliz Cumpleanos, Amor. Te amo."

Amelia
"Jayden, I love your best friend but the last place I want to tell mine is here," I whispered gently before we walked into the ranch home holding hands. The last thing I wanted to do was, in fact, draw attention to myself right after Isabel and Dawson reunited, so I lingered in the kitchen while they had their moment, filling a cup with ice water, I smirked when Brett followed in after me with his son Bentley against his chest, drinking his chocolate milk from his sippy cup, smiling when he saw me.

"Hiiiii little rascal how are you?" I asked the toddler, giggling when he reached for me. Taking him from Brett, I moved the hair from his eyes, looking up at Brett. "Are you ever going to cut his hair?" I teased, my heart melting when he clung to me.

"You're getting so big," I whispered to Bentley, giggling again when he grinned. "What were you and your daddy doing out there huh?"

Turning my attention to Brett when he asked how I was, I quickly shushed him.

"I just got here and she still doesn't know and I don't want to take away from their moment," I whispered, not wanting to be heard because I knew if the right person heard me, this was all over.

Dawson
I knew my momma was up to something because she always had to do something outlandish for birthdays, it was just part of made Shelly who she was. So as much as I was surprised when I walked into the party she put together, I was half expecting it. Of course, I wished Isabel was here, but I understood and supported her where she was right now. This was the one story she only ever dreamed of chasing before she got the opportunity and I knew she wouldn't be satisfied with herself until she did. If I had to give up being close to her for a little while to make her happy. it was worth it, but some days, I couldn't help but miss her.

Walking into the house, I was being bombarded with hugs and screams, giving everyone their embrace, I eventually made my way over to Jayden, patting him on the back,, my smile turning faint when he mentioned Isabel. Nodding, I tried to not sound too upset that she wasn't here.

"She was doing well the last I heard, no plans to come home yet, but hopefully soon," I replied, looking to my best friend confused when he randomly started laughing, "What is it?" I asked blatantly confused, wondering what part of what I said could have been funny.

Then I realized, he saw someone I didn't. When I heard her voice, I felt my heart stop, turning toward her, i thought maybe it was Brett playing a joke on me, holding her on Facetime or something, but there she was, standing there right in front of me. Running towards her, I picked her up off her feet, hugging her tightly before we kissed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked flabbergasted, not wanting to let go, afraid she would disintegrate into thin air if I did. Setting her back to her feet, I caught my breath, recovering from my shock. "It's better now that you're here," I whispered, taking her hand in mine. Watching Jayden skip out, and i knew that meant one thing, Amelia was here.

Oh shit, Amelia is here. Looks like I'm not the only one being surprised today.

Hearing the couple walk back into the kitchen a few minutes later, I didn't draw attention to them. I wasn't sure how they wanted to tell Isabel if at all today. But I knew Amelia had been impatiently waiting to tell Isabel for months. It wasn't exactly easy to hide anymore and Jayden subconsciously watched over her like a hawk, even when I knew he didn't intend to be protective, he was. It was understandable though, he went through hell and back to have this baby with his wife and he wanted to make sure nothing happened to either of them.

When Isabel asked where they were, I cleared my throat nervously.

"I don't know, love, I think she's working."

Brett
I was rather surprised when Amelia admitted to me that she hadn't told Isabel about her being pregnant yet. I thought considering Bel was Amelia's best friend, she would've been the first to know, but we all knew Isabel being at the border and away from us was where she needed to be right now. I don't know about you but I could never just drop everything in one city and move to another for something as dangerous and bold as what Isabel was covering. We never liked to think about the danger aspect of it though, especially around Dawson because it usually sent him straight into his own thick head. Isabel was a strong woman and knew how to hold her own. We all just hoped she would know when enough was enough.

Watching Bentley cling to Amelia was touching. The two had gotten close and I was more than glad to know my son had someone like Amelia and Jayden to look up to. The kids had the chance to grow up together. Now, if only Isabel and Dawson could follow suit, there'd be an entire clan that grows up with each other.

"I'll cut his hair the day I die," I replied teasingly, laughing when Bentley nodded in agreement before nestling his head into Amelia's neck.

"I don't think Dawson will care if you take away from their moment, plus, I would be cautious. I'm sure my cousin already made a mistake." I whispered back to the advertising manager, chuckling when she groaned because we all knew it was the truth. Dawson was horrible at keeping secrets. "I'd tell her while you still can."

Isabel
Feeling Dawson take my hand, I let out a gentle smile before I gave it a squeeze, my heart turning to mush when he admitted his birthday was better now that I was here with him. I knew not being here would upset him but I didn't think it upset him that much. His reaction to me being here in person was precious and made me wish I didn't have to leave again at the end of the weekend.

I noticed Jayden had left the minute I got here but I didn't think about it too much. I was too focused on the man in front of me but then I thought about Jayden. If Jayden was here then so was Amelia, right? Biting my lip, I hoped that was true. The past couple months in the valley were rough but I wasn't going to mention anything. I just needed to see my best friend and hug her. I missed her so fucking much.

"Where's Amelia and Jayden?" I asked Dawson curiously, looking at him skeptically when I heard his voice give the slightest tinge of nervousness. I didn't want to think too into it but now I was suspicious. His voice cracked as if he was hiding something and now I wanted to know just what it was but I didn't want to push and pry on his special day. "What a bummer. I was hoping I got to see Amelia while I was here."

Shrugging, I released a soft sigh, kissing his cheek before Shelly caught my attention. Taking her into a tight hug, I laughed softly when she teased her own son about his reaction to seeing me.

"I knew you were all mushy inside for Isabel but I wasn't expecting you to twirl her around the living room at the sight of her," I laughed at the southern woman's comment, looking at Dawson who sheepishly looked away.

"Awe Amor, it's okay. I know you missed me. I mean, who wouldn't." Laughing again, I winked in his direction when no one was looking. When Shelly let us all know the food was ready, I was quick to spot Jayden, who I learned from his visit to Chicago with Amelia, was secretly very southern on the inside. If he was back inside then I had a feeling Amelia was somewhere here too. I just didn't know why she was avoiding me. Did I piss her off recently?

Amelia
“Dawson isn’t that much of an idiot, is he?” I asked Brett, groaning again when he laughed When I heard Shelly call for food, I was sure the panic spread on my face. As I knew seeing Isabel was inevitable, it was only a matter of not drawing attention to myself. I made sure that there was no way she could pick up on anything from looking at me, but my nervousness was going to give it away if I didn’t keep it in check. I seriously didn’t want to tell my anchor my biggest secret in a room full of Covingtons but I knew I didn’t have a choice. There was no avoiding the hug she would bombard me with after she went through God knows what over the last three and a half months without out me to confide in over whatever she was feeling about herself journalistically. I wanted to plan some elaborate way to tell her the news, I had the time, but every time I tried to come up with something, nothing seemed good enough. Whenever we had to tell each other something, we were never elaborate about it, we were usually too excited, and had a tendency to be straight forward, so asthe party goers entered the gigantic kitchen, taking their places in like for food, I handed Bentley back to his dad and waited for Isabel to notice me, sipping my ice water in the corner. The whole time I had to remind myself not to bring a hand to my growing belly when I felt the baby moving.

Don’t draw attention to yourself.

Biting my lip, I laughed whenever I heard her call out to me.

“Hello stranger.”

Isabel
Walking into the kitchen with Dawson leading me by hand, I watched as everyone grabbed their plates that would soon be stacked high with some of Shelly's finest southern food. I watched as everyone gathered around but when I caught sight of Amelia, I panicked slightly, still wondering why the hell Dawson didn't want to mention her presence and why my best friend didn't come up to me when she got here. I really hoped I hadn't pissed her off in the past couple of weeks, and I rationally I knew I didn't, but my brain had a tendency to go straight to the worst case scenario.

I called out to her, smiling gently when she laughed and looked back at me. Walking closer to her, I noticed what she was wearing. Dawson's statement about her being at work was right. She sure as heck was dressed for it. She probably just got here then.

"It's been awhile, wouldn't you agree?" I asked her, no longer being able to resist the urge to hug her. After the months I spent in the valley, I needed her presence. She was the only one who could understand any of what I was currently feeling journalistically. I didn't notice right off the bat that there was some distance between Amelia and I but when it clicked that something was preventing it, I pulled away, blinking and quickly glancing down towards her stomach. Gasping, I raised my hands to my mouth, resisting the urge to cry. I didn't want to draw attention to us but the tears were inevitable. "You're pregnant?" I whispered to her, giggling excitedly when she nodded.

Light punching her arm, I shook my head, releasing an exaggerated sigh between my sobs. "You jerk. Thanks for telling me. I would fight you if I could but considering my niece or nephew is growing inside you, I'll refrain." Taking Amelia into another hug, I nestled my head in her neck and continued sobbing. After some of the things I saw at the border, knowing there was a new life coming into the world was overwhelming. "God, you're gonna be a mom. How far are you? What did y'all do?"

I couldn't even fathom what Amelia went through while I was away. I knew her and Jayden had to have done something major for her to even be able to conceive their child right now.

Amelia
When Isabel practically fell into me I knew there were emotions she needed to let go of that she hadn't in an effort to get through whatever she saw in her months away. It was something we would have to address before she left to head back into it, but for right now, I wanted to keep Dawson's party about Dawson.

But seeing Isabel's reaction to what I had been keeping from her, I couldn't help myself but cry with her, taking her into a tighter embrace when I did.

"I wanted to tell you first but you're the one who decided to leave the day before we found out and I couldn't miss this," I explained through my tears, not letting go of her. Wiping the tears from my eyes with the back of my hand, I forgot about everyone else in the room for now.

"20 weeks today, after fertility treatments that were sent straight from hell," I whispered so only she could hear. I didn't want to upset Jayden because I knew he hated thinking about what I and my body had to go through before we finally had a was greeted with success.

"It's been rough more than anything but we'll talk about it a different time, you didn't come here for me," I teased winking in her direction, "I love you though."

Isabel
After Dawson's surprise birthday party, I told everyone my goodbyes as they slowly trickled out the door. Releasing a content sigh, I thanked Shelly when she gave me a glass of wine. I needed it after having to have a facade all day to please the majority of the Covington clan. With only Dawson and his parents left in the house, I didn't know just yet if I should take my leave back to my Airbnb in Dallas or stay in Fort Worth with Dawson. Biting my lip, I walked out of the kitchen and out to the patio, sitting on the top step while I watched the sun rise. I didn't like the ranch much but I did enjoy the sunrise and sunsets here.

Hearing footsteps from behind, I turned around and smiled at my cowboy in all his glory, taking him in before he sat next to me. I was glad I made the time to come and surprise him. All I heard from Jayden was about how much Dawson mopped and cried about the lack of presence here. I couldn't abandon the story just yet though. I knew I had a tendency to not give anything up but right now I just couldn't. There wasn't a pressing enough reason holding me back from it, even if some of the shit I've gone through was a lot.

"Did you enjoy your birthday, Cowboy?" I asked him softly, snuggling up against him after he sat down, releasing a content sigh before I close my eyes, relishing in the moment before I had to go back to the valley.

I wasn't surprised when I ended up in Dawson's house, more specifically in his room and on his bed. We hadn't seen each other in months and not only did that mean we needed to verbally catch up, we also needed to have our alone time together. I wasn't opposed to the idea though. Making love to Dawson was always one of my favorite games and past times to play.

April 11, 2024
Brownsville, Texas

Isabel
Two weeks had passed since Dawson's birthday and after about a week since my return, I began feeling sick. At first I thought I had just caught a stomach bug, but after about three days of throwing up only in the morning, I knew something was off and my assumption was wrong. I didn't want to actually believe I was pregnant, especially because I distinctly remembered Dawson and I used protection, but nothing other than morning sickness made sense to me. I tried to push it off but considering the amount of times I woke up and ran straight to the bathroom, I couldn't keep ignoring it.

After going to the store and buying a pregnancy test, I peed on the stick then set it aside, waiting to see the results. When I saw the plus sign, rather than being full of joy it felt like my entire world came crashing down. I felt the room spinning, and not because I was dizzy, but rather because I started panicking. The more it spun, it also seemed to close in, making me feel like I was suffocating.

I'm pregnant. Holy shit. This can't be happening. I'm not ready to go back yet. I can't. The story isn't finished.

Gasping for air, I reached for my phone and tried calling Amelia. When she didn't answer my Facetime call, I had no other option but to call Dawson. When he answered, I wasn't in the best state. I was sitting on the floor of my bathroom, trying to breathe for air, tears streaming down my face.

This can't fucking be happening.

I was so far in my thoughts that all I could do was shake my head when Dawson tried calling out to me and attempting to get me to calm down as best as he could through a phone screen.

Dawson
With Isabel working where she was right now, I rarely heard from her, and when I did it was never planned, it was just whenever she had a spare moment. So when she called, I didn't expect anything of it, really, Answering it, I said my usual chipper hello before realizing that something was wrong.

She's crying, Damnit, What happened?

"Mi Amor, what happened, Isabel? Did you see something? What is it?" I asked, the adrenaline now rushing through my entire body, not knowing what was wrong and why Isabel was so upset. Being exposed to the violence of war I knew there was a multitude of things she could have witnessed that left her like this, and thinking about it made my heart sink for her. But when she told me this was something she wanted to do, I knew there was no talking her out of it.

Giving her a moment to compose herself, I couldn't help but wonder if this was the breaking point that would send her home. I hoped for her sake, it wasn't but I knew all of us, aside from Amelia who was equally as insane enough to put herself in the same situation, were wondering when enough would be enough for Isabel before she decided it was time to move onto the next story.

Isabel
Composing myself took a lot more out of me than it usually did. I couldn't just take a moment to breath because the minute I did, I was going to have to tell my boyfriend that we were going to be parents and right now, I wasn't excited. I always thought when the time came I would be over the mood excited, not on my bathroom floor with knees up to my chest and streams of tears going down my face. This was supposed to be a joyous occasion, so why on earth was my heart shattered and I was feeling devastated?

She'll know when enough is enough. Thinking back on that, I shook my head. They were wrong. I never knew when enough was enough and despite the child now growing inside of me, I couldn't bring myself to finish the story. I couldn't convince myself that my job here at the border was done, because it wasn't, and that moving back to Dallas was the best option for me. You can't be here. Not with the new addition.

After what felt like an eternity but only turned out to be five minutes, I looked at Dawson with tear filled eyes and a weak smile, biting my lip. This wasn't a proper way to tell him but it needed to be said, even if I didn't like this.

"I'm pregnant." I stated barley above a whisper, waiting for Dawson's reaction. He had to have been just as confused as I was. Considering the acts of precautions we took, none of this made sense, but it was happening. We were having a child. I was going to have to leave the valley. I couldn't pursue this story anymore. I couldn't put this blessing in harms way.

Enough is enough.

"So I guess I'll be coming back home," I tried to sound cheerful. I really tried for Dawson's sake, but I knew he didn't buy it because of the way he was looking at me. He knew I didn't want to give up this story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back