• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored by Love (Draft Four... lol)

Amelia
"I literally hate you. I could be dead right now, and instead, you want to tease me for admitting I'm human?" I asked playfully, crossing my arms over my chest for the effect when I saw her phone light up to see a message from Dawson pop up on the home screen. "What's going on there?" I asked curiously. Since she decided to move to the border for work, I hadn't heard much in the realm of her and Dawson. Life was just so hectic for the both of us whenever we had the spare moment, we had a tendency to ask about each other, rather than the men in our lives, because most of the time, ten minutes to talk was a luxury.

Dawson
I wasn't anticipating the drive back to Fort Worth after I rushed to Dallas at Isabel's request to help her and Jayden handle Amelia's disappearance. I wasn't certain how much help I could actually offer, but I did it anyway, to put Isabel mind at ease when I knew she was under a lot of stress, rushing home to ensure her best friend's safety was a lot to handle considering how close the two women were. Now, I was the one who had to run off for the sake of Brett, who is the idiot that he is, entered in a riding competition only a month before his first child was expected into the world. I tried my hardest to convince my thick-skulled favorite cousin that riding while it was fun for him, was too dangerous to continue now that he had a family to consider. Obviously, he didn't agree, and went against my word, knowing that I myself was speaking from experience, and now Brett was in a medically induced coma from his injuries. The doctors were still uncertain whether he would make it out of this without any permanent damage, if at all, and it all felt like the second round of a nightmare, except this time, it wasn't me who was hanging on by a thread, it was Brett. I made no effort to update Isabel because I was attempting to be there for Savannah as best as I could, worried I wasn't enough for her. But when I saw Isabel's text, I was quick to reply out of my own desperation of needing to confide in someone, even if it was just through the phone.

"Things aren't looking too good for Brett right now it's worse than we thought doctors want to see if he can make it through the night before we decide where to go from here Savannah isn't holding up too well"

Isabel
Looking over at my phone when Amelia drew attention to it, I was quick to pick it up and see what Dawson had to say. Since he rushed to Fort Worth he hadn't said a single word to me so I wasn't well informed or updated on the bull-riding Covington but reading his text made my heart drop to my stomach while making me feel nauseous. They want to see if he can make it through the night. Holy shit, Brett. What the fuck happened?

Taking a deep breath, I set my phone down for a second while I closed my eyes and try to figure out what to say. Amelia calling out to me is what brought me back to the harsh reality. I was facing too many emotions in the span of forty eight hours. Looking at my anchor, I smiled weakly before I shook my head and released a deep sigh, putting my head against her shoulder as I read the text from my pilot over again.

"When you went missing Dawson was quick to rush to Dallas and be there for me considering all the emotions I was feeling. Not long after his mom called him and he quickly rushed back to Fort Worth. Brett entered a riding competition and during his run was thrown off and pushed around by the fucking bull. Dawson said Savannah isn't holding up well and I can't even imagine what she's feeling. She's literally a month away from giving birth to their child, Melia, and Brett decided to be an idiot and enter the freaking competition anyways. The doctors want to see if he'll make it through the night before they decide to do anything." Releasing another sigh, I closed my eyes. "I don't even know how Dawson is holding up considering he's been through that himself."

Dawson getting thrown off the bull and badly injured was a sensitive topic to the entire Covington, something they all hated and wished didn't happen. I learned that the hard way when Brett got me on a bull myself when I wanted to learn to ride one and Shelley and Ron came running out of the house terrified. When Ron told me what happened with Dawson, I didn't want to believe it, but it wasn't hard to find video footage of it on Youtube and when I watched it I cried for hours. Dawson still hadn't brought it up but I already settled on the fact that he never would.

"Why do bad things always happen to good people?" I asked Amelia while I unlocked my phone again and texted Dawson back.

"I'm extremely sorry, Amor. Do you need anything? Clothes or just someone there for comfort?" I was hoping Dawson would say no to someone going over for comfort. If he said yes, that meant I was going to be the one to go and quite frankly, I wasn't ready to face the Covington's after most of them blamed me for Dawson leaving the country to fight in a war. You'll just have to suck it up for Dawson's sake if you go.

Amelia
All of us had been through it in the last day or so, but I knew, Isabel needed to be with Dawson hearing the news about Brett. Brett was always one to include Isabel in the Convington events and they had always been close, even before she and Dawson were together, Brett simply started out as a source for a story and later down the road turned into a good friend I knew Isabel would always have Brett in her corner.

"If anything, Bel, you need to go there in respect for your friend, even if you don't want to be there for Dawson. Brett has always thought highly of you, even before you fell for his cousin. They can't say anything if you go as a friend and not a family member. I'm sorry to hear about Brett, though, I'll keep him in my prayers tonight. Let me know what happens? I can drive up in the morning if you need me. I'm probably going to need to escape from the media anyway. It's only a matter of time before things get ugly."

Isabel
Releasing a soft sigh, I knew my best friend was right. Even though I didn't want to step foot near Fort Worth I knew I had, and not for anyone other than Brett. The bull rider was a dear friend from the beginning and he always would be in my corner. He was there for me through everything, even when Dawson and I broke up, Brett was always in my corner, reassuring me that I was going to be alright and that his cousin was a stupid idiot for letting me go. Savannah. I couldn't even imagine what Savannah was feeling and I knew she needed someone there for her. I knew the Covington clan without a doubt was but I felt like she needed someone else.

"I know. I should go then. I'll keep you updated and you do the same for me. Everything will be okay, Best Friend. Just plan on coming up tomorrow morning anyways, even if I don't directly say it. I know I'll need you there after tonight and you need me so breakfast. It's a date." Hugging Amelia tightly before I stood up to grab my purse, I left her apartment and went straight to my car, getting in and texting Dawson that I was on my way to Fort Worth before I made the forty-five minute drive out there.

Fort Worth

Arriving at Baylor All Saints Medical Center I parked my car, sitting in it while the engine continued to run. I knew Amelia said I needed to be here as a friend rather than family but I knew no matter how I showed up, most of Dawson's family still wouldn't care. They would still hate me and be offended that I decided to show face here. Amelia was right though. I needed to be here. You're coming for Brett and Savannah.

Taking a deep breath, I got down (hehe) from my Fiat, closing the door and locking it before I walked into one of the ritziest hospitals I've ever seen from the outside. I walked straight to the front desk, asking the receptionist for the floor and room number where Brett Covington was. She explained that because he was in intensive care, only immediate family was allowed to be in his room or whoever his wife decided, but she gave me the floor number anyways and explained most of the Covington clan was in the waiting room anyways.

When the elevator doors opened and indeed revealed the mass numbers of the Covington clan, I walked in sheepishly, smiling softly at them before I looked around for Dawson. I was hoping he was the first one to spot me and help but when I felt arms wrap around me that weren't his, I was a bit shocked. The crying is what told me it was Savannah. Turning so I could take her into a proper hug, I held her, letting her cry on my shoulder. I felt horrible this was happening and I wanted her to know I wasn't going anywhere as long as she needed me. Like Brett, Savannah and I were just as close.

"I'm so sorry, Savannah. Brett's an idiot." I whispered to her and was thankful when I heard her laugh at the comment and nod.

“The biggest idiot but I still love him.” She whispered back. I didn’t know how long we stayed embracing each other but when I glanced back at the Covington’s I saw all eyes on us but the only hazel ones I cared about were what I drew my attention to. They were full of hurt and that inwardly hurt me. Smiling weakly at the cowboy, I knew I was going to have to comfort him next after Savannah. When she finally let go, I smiled weakly at her again before she gave my hands a right grip.

“I’ll let you go to Dawson. He needs you too. Don’t go that far though, please?”

Nodding, I agreed to not stray too far away and after Savannah went back to the nurses station I made my way over to Dawson, taking him into a hug. “Estoy aquí, Amor. I’m here.”

Last edited:
Dawson
Pulling my gaze away from my lap, I looked up at Isabel, letting go of the heavy sigh I was holding but could now let go of now that Savannah wasn't keeping a religious eye on me, looking for a reaction. I didn't want to squash her hopes that Brett would make it through this, because I knew she knew what happened with me. I knew everyone in this room had the mentality that if I made it out of this, then Brett was going to, after all, we came from the same blood. But personally, I knew the optimism was hopeless. I couldn't shake the feeling in my gut that Brett was gone when I first laid eyes on his broken and practically shattered body. There just wasn't any life left, no sign of hope.

I wasn't at the rodeo because Isabel asked me to come to Dallas, and when I called Brett to in let him know I would have to miss this one, he was understanding, but now that I knew this was probably the last time we would get to talk to each other, what my cousin had to say was replaying over and over in my mind, nearly haunting me, and now that Isabel was here, sitting next to me, I couldn't ignore it.

"Dawson, if Isabel needs you, you go, and you go unapologetically stop apologizing for loving her. She's the best thing that's ever happened to you. We'll see ya at the next one cousin."

Looking into Isabel's brown eyes, I squeezed her hand, shaking my head to let her know things weren't looking so good without drawing the attention of the rest of the room.

"He would be glad you're here," I whispered, attempting to keep my hands from shaking in hers. It was getting more difficult to keep composure as each hour passed, knowing Brett was running out of time and I was still pissed at Brett for being so senseless.

"If it makes it out of this, I'll kill him with my bare hands after his kid is born, I told him this whole damn thing was ridiculous."

Last edited:
Isabel
I could tell right off the bat my cowboy had no faith that Brett was going to make it out of this alive and I didn’t like the feeling it gave me in the pit of my stomach. Everyone else was holding onto hope, Savannah included, and knowing Dawson was sitting here with a solid face full of no reactions proved he knew something or saw something we didn’t.

He went through this himself.

Releasing a soft sigh, I continued to hold Dawson’s hands in mine, giving them a squeeze for some form of reassurance he so desperately needed. I didn’t say much yet because I wasn’t sure what to say in a situation like this. Everyone obviously wanted him to make it through this, me as well, but I didn’t know what the chances of anyone making it through something like this were. I didn’t grow up on a ranch and go to rodeos growing up. Giggling quietly at Dawson though, I shook my head.

“When he makes it, I won’t let you hurt him anymore than he already is. Good luck getting through me first,” I whispered softly, looking over when a doctor came out to let Savannah and the rest of the clan know Brett was showing small signs of recovery. Very small but evident and I could tell that was more then enough for the family to keep their faith. Sitting down, I let Dawson go back to his family as they all took a collective sigh of relief. I didn’t say much to anyone or make an effort to talk to them. Right now wasn’t the time to fuck it up for Dawson so I just stayed in place, smiling when he walked back over and sat next to me. Taking his hand, I held it in mine while resting my head on his shoulder.

“Te amo,” I said softly, closing my eyes as I prayed my own prayer for the bull riders health. I wasn’t sure if we were staying her overnight but considering the night I had, I caught myself starting to doze off.

Dawson
"You would protect him from me after he was too stupid to listen when all of us told him enough was enough. I think you're the one who let it all go to his head," I teased, recalling back to when Isabel and Brett first met when Isabel found herself at one of Brett's many competitions for her own work. I always found it interesting, how her scenery and the people she interacted with a changed week to week, depending on what stories were pitched to her, or whatever she decided to pick up on her own. I would have never pictured a journalist to willingly decide to cover bull riding, but that's when I first learned my love wasn't like everyone else, she was a force to be reckoned with and covering the sport that consumed our lives as Covington men was just the beginning.

"I'm not surprised though, if I recall, I did have to pull you from a fence, which makes you equally as insane as the rest of us. That's why you fit in so well with us here, ya know?" I whispered, leaning into the chair, wrapping an arm around her as I watched Isabel begin to doze off. Kissing her forehead I held her against me while she slept, last night was a long night for her, filled with uncertainty whether they would find Amelia dead or alive, and now it was my turn with Brett.

Fort Worth
Isabel
When I woke up the next morning, I found myself alone, curled into a ball on the chair I had fallen asleep in with Dawson's jacket covering me. Releasing a yawn, I moved me feet out of the tucked in position they were in all night, allowing my body to stretch out and be a bit more comfortable. Putting the jacket on correctly, I grabbed my phone from the table beside me and opened my text thread with Amelia.

"Morning! My body hurts from sleeping in this damn chair all night. Anyways, I'm not sure what the update on Brett is yet. I just woke up and all the Covington's have cleared out, my cowboy included. I'll let you know when I know. I might have to take a raincheck on breakfast. How's Jayden?"

After sending the text, I looked up from my small screen when I heard the elevator ding and the doors open. Smiling at the sight of Dawson, I noticed he was carrying a coffee on either hand. Both from the Starbucks downstairs. Reaching for the iced Raspberry Mocha, I thanked him softly for getting me my usual beverage, almost squealing when he handed me a bag with a bagel and cream cheese that I hadn't noticed prior. I could only assume his hot beverage was his usual black coffee, the one he always complained about being too overpriced at Starbucks.

"Thank you. How are you? Where did everyone go?" I asked him curiously, taking a sip of my mocha before setting it down on the table so I could attempt to eat the bagel. When Dawson told me Brett was showing better signs of recovery, the tightness of my chest was loosened and I found myself letting out a deep sigh. "Well that's good to hear. I'm assuming Savannah's in the room with him then? Does she need anything? Do you need anything?"

I still wasn't entirely sure what was going through my cowboys head but I did know it wasn't good. He had to have been thinking about what he went through when this happened to him, something I still didn't know much about but already came to terms that I probably never will. I also knew he was trying to be the backbone for everyone in his family, and considering I knew what that was like, I knew he was exhausted from doing just that. I wasn't going to leave his side unless he or Savannah needed something.

Dallas
Jayden
The following morning I decided to go to Amelia's apartment with take out food from out favorite diner. When I arrived, I let myself in and set the food on the table, grinning when I saw her walk into the main area of her apartment in just a robe.

"Good morning, beautiful. I brought us breakfast," I said softly, wrapping my arms around her waist when she walked over to me, sharing a gentle kiss with her before I tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ear. When she asked how everything went, I couldn't help the chuckle I let out while shaking my head. "Well IA tore me to shreds yesterday," I began before shrugging my shoulders and walking over to the table to eat what I brought.

"I've been stripped and put on modified assignment for now so all I will be doing is working a desk. IA doesn't think I should be an officer at all anymore, and they're going to do everything they can to bring down hell. One of them said he wouldn't be surprised if I got tried in court on murder to the first degree. My death threat back at the station when he called didn't help my case any," Releasing a deep sigh, it was crazy how intense all of this was becoming. It was no longer just a simple internal investigation into my shooting to rule it justifiable or not, this was going to become something so much more considering the relationship I shared with Amelia and me murdering an Italian mobster. I knew the department would stand for me being put on trial, no one in their right minds would, but I also knew there was so much more that could happen. "What about you? Has anyone come to ask you questions from IA or your own field?"

I wanted so desperately for her answer to be no but that was foolish of me. Everyone who could was going to come at us and they were going to come hard. Amelia was a crime reporter dating a Dallas PD officer, that in itself looks sketch but never once did our work overlap. Her reporting was solid, unbiased and ethical, and I knew the chief would agree with that. It didn't mean that she was still going to be targeted and investigated though. It didn't mean that her work wasn't going to be ripped to shreds by her own version of IA for anything that could link her to me. I knew nothing will but until they came out with that statement we were both going to be put through hell. I didn't regret killing Luciano and I knew I never would.

Dawson
"Isabel, relax," I whispered softly, taking the seat beside her, taking her hand in my own when I did. "If anything, we just want your presence." Sipping my bitter coffee just how I liked it, my gaze never left her. Humming at the coffee's taste, I cleared my throat, tired of sitting in this room. If anything I knew I should probably leave for a little while at least to sleep, but I was going to ask Isabel to go back to the ranch with me, I knew she was still uncomfortable with being anywhere near anything that belonged to the Convington name and I respected that, given how things ended before he separated for a brief while.

"Have you heard anything from Amelia and Jayden? What's going on with them?" I asked before I watched the nurse at the nurse's station turn on the tv for her morning shift and when she was scrolling through channels I saw Jayden's headshot and him walking out of the
department this morning being cascaded across the screen with the headline

"Dallas Officer under investigation for first-degree murder."

"Stop it!" I exclaimed without thinking, startling the nurse when I got up from the chair to get a closer look, my heart now racing just as fast as it did when I got the news about Brett, except now it was Jayden.

Turning back to Isabel, I looked to her in horror when I realized what was happening. "It's him, Isabel."

Amelia
I didn't sleep after Isabel left for the night. I was too anxious to know what was happening with Jayden that I couldn't calm down long enough to drift off. Regardless of the commitment, we made the night before, I was still afraid of what all this meant for Jayden. When I heard him walk through the door, I ran fro him, relieved to see him standing in front of me. I was worried he wouldn't come back. Taking in his embrace, I kissed him in greeting, letting the two of us live in the moment of affection, his giddy smile present once again when we locked eyes. I couldn't help but giggle despite the seriousness of the situation. It still felt like we were on our own cloud nine.

"What did they say?" I asked gently, resting a hand on his chest, looking up at him in curiosity, bracing myself for the worst, but unrealistically hoping this would all just go away on its own and we wouldn't have to address it, but that's because I was ditzy in love, rationally, I knew Jayden was unethical and regardless that it was to come to my rescue, he still had to face the consequences. While he made himself comfortable at the kitchen table, I grabbed two mugs from the kitchen to pour two cups from the pit I just made. Listening to Jayden explain what happened while I paced the apartment aimlessly waiting for his return, I was prepared to hear he had been suspended, but when I heard charged with first-degree murder, I lost it.

Murder. Murder. First-degree murder, in Texas. Gasping, I let go of the mug I was holding, shattering it completely, trying to comprehend what Jayden just said, with glass now at my feet, I just stood there for a second telling myself to breathe.

That only means one thing here.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed, flustered bringing my hands to my forehead.

Calm down, Amelia. No. How can he be so casual about that? Is he stupid!?

Comprehending what Jayden asked, I shook my head, still flustered and standing there in a trance.

"No one has asked me anything, but give it time," I whispered biting my lip to hold back my tears, but it was useless. The whole situation was setting in for me. Jayden was facing death, because of me.

I should have never let myself fall for you. I thought while I just looked onto him, regretting putting him through this. The forever I told myself I would give into just yesterday was vanishing in front of me,[/font][/font]

Isabel
I rolled my eyes when Dawson told me all he and Savannah needed was my presence. I found that to be both touching but also a bit annoying. I knew Savannah needed to eat and sleep, especially considering she was still carrying hers and Brett's baby. I also knew Dawson could probably use some sleep as well. We were closest to the ranch and though setting foot there made my stomach upside, I knew I should at least be considerate and offer to go with him to his house. If I stayed in the house, I didn't have to be around anyone I didn't want to see and he would get some sleep. It was a win in my book but before I could suggest we leave, I was startled like the nurse at her station when Dawson exclaimed for her to stop on one of the news channels. Reading the headline, my stomach stayed upside down and twisted in knots, making me want to throw up.

Jayden's being tried for first degree. Holy shit. This isn't okay. Oh my fucking God.

Looking at Dawson when he looked back at me, I nodded before I grabbed my phone and reopened the text thread with Amelia, needing to know if she already knew about this and if she was okay. That's a stupid question, Isabel. You know damn well she's not okay.

"Best friend, I just saw Jayden's being charged. Call me when you can. I'll head back to Dallas."

With that I sent the text before I set my bagel aside and stood up, shaking my head. I couldn't believe they were actually trying to prosecute Jayden for killing a man who deserved to be dead. The first degree charge made sense, it did, but this was fucking ridiculous and I knew if he was convicted it was life in prison, but even worse he could be killed. Fuck Texas.

"I'm not going back to the valley," I told Dawson softly but that look in his eye made me want to throw up. He wasn't okay. I couldn't imagine what he was thinking or feeling considering he just spent the night wondering if Brett was going to make it and now his best friend was being charged for taking another persons life. Dawson knew just as well as I did what would happen to the officer if he was convicted. Pulling Dawson into a hug, I held him, my chest nestled against his chest. His breathing was off and it worried me even more. I was quick to cup his face and draw his hazel eyes to my brown ones. "Hey, listen to me. I'm going to go check on Savannah and then we're leaving. We'll go to the ranch, okay? You need to get out of this place."

Doing what I just said, I went to tell Savannah I was taking Dawson to the house, asking her if she needed anything. When she assured me that she was fine and Shelly would bring her a home cooked lunch, I nodded and went back to Dawson, taking his hand in mine while I held my coffee in the other, the bagel now in my purse. He wasn't saying a word and that worried me.

Jayden
Startled when I heard the mug crash against the floor, I watched as the shards of glass spread across the floor, looking up at Amelia who was stuck in her thoughts. Fuck. I talked about it too casually. Getting up, I went around the glass and took Amelia into a hug, holding her tighter as she began to cry. I should've told her about this easier, knowing she would have taken this pretty hard. I knew what being tried for first degree murder meant for me. I knew if I was convicted, my life was over, literally. I knew that's immediately what Amelia's head took her too and all I could do in this moment was hold her and try to reassure her everything was going to be okay.

"Amelia, listen to me. It's going to be okay, I swear. I have the best ADA on my side and I know for a fact it'll be okay. Stop thinking about the worst that can happen." Cupping her face in my hands, I rested my forehead against hers. "I love you. It's going to be okay. It's going to be a hell of a trial but I have faith it'll turn out in my favor. Trust me, please. I don't want you suffocating yourself by blaming yourself. This isn't your fault and you know that. I love you more than my own life, Amelia. Please. We'll get through this together, okay?"

OOC: Bad pain days are the worst days, but something is better than nothing sometimes, <3

Amelia
"Jayden, you can't make me any promises like that, it's out of your control. Nothing is guaranteed and I don't actually want to watch you give your life up for me, it's just supposed to be some stupid expression. I was supposed to give you everything you wanted, I swore if I got out of that room I would marry you and be the mother to your kids and now all of that, might be gone, and I just, you have so much life left to live, and you let it all go in a split second for what? For me? How am I supposed to take that if the worst does happen? You know the public blame will fall on me and i can't deny it because I love you. I love you so much and I want to hate that you make me feel this way, but there's no taking it back. Whatever happens, you're mine and we'll make the most of it, but you can't make me a promise you can't keep. It would make it too hard to let go in the end."

OOC: This is shitty, I know. I apologize in advance. My brain is dead.
Jayden
Releasing a heavy sigh, I continued to hold Amelia in my arms while she continued to cry after explaining to me that my prior promise couldn't possibly be valid. I knew she was right. I couldn't promise her that everything would be alright and I wasn't going to be convicted and put to death. I didn't know if that was true, I just so desperately wanted it to be. I didn't want to leave this world at such an early age but if I had to, it was all worth it considering I was able to save the only woman I've ever loved so deeply's life.

"I'm sorry, I know. I know I can't make that promise but please, Amelia. It's going to be okay. Whatever happens, we're in this together. I love you, Amelia. We'll get through this." I whispered softly, kissing her forehead before I pulled away and smiled down at her. "How are Isabel and Dawson? Have you heard from them?"

Walking to the pantry, I grabbed the broom and dustpan so I could wipe up the glass that was on the floor. Once I did, I got some paper towels and cleaned up the spilled coffee as well. After cleaning up, I went back over to Amelia and took her hands in my own.

"Join me for breakfast?"

A year later...
Dallas
Amelia
I always hated being in front of the camera, despised it actually. I would always prefer to be the photographer rather than be photographed, but over the last year, I learned to go unphased by dozens of cameras blinding me with overpriced external flashes. When your husband is a defendant of a high profile murder case over the city’s longest-standing mobster, you get thrust into the media pretty quickly, especially when you used to be a media member yourself.

Whenever the two of us attempted to leave the house, we were often followed by the press, looking to get an update on us and how life was going now that Jayden was on a timer until the trial, and today the timer ended.

Today was the opening arguments for the case and everyone was here, Jayden’s family from Chicago, the Covington’s, and the rioting civilians who were physically fighting to get a spot inside the courtroom. It was a chaotic mess and made me nervous as Dawson and Brett thrust through the photojournalists to make a path, Isabel, holding onto my arm as the crowd of journalists waiting for me to say anything they could get on tape.

“Amelia, do you really think your husband will have a chance to make it out of this and watch your child grow up?” I heard one of them ask, keeping my head down, I tried not to reveal any emotion but that question hurt. Remaining silent, I clutched Isabel’s hands tighter as We continued to make way through the crowd, Dawson and Brett getting more aggressive as the crowd thickened closer to the court’s entrance.

The last thing I wanted to do was walk inside this room and see Jayden detained at a table where I couldn’t reach him, watching him getting punished for saving my life the year before.

“Everyone back up!” Dawson exclaimed as made my way up the stairs and inside, not letting go of Isabel the entire time, trying to think about what was happening.

Leaning into her, I whispered into her ear. “Did they really just ask me that?” I questioned, trying not to cry at the thought. The thought of raising my daughter without Jayden broke me, I hated thinking that there was a possibility in four months I would have to bring this life into the world without him at my side. I just wanted to see him now.

Walking into the courtroom after being checked promptly by security I took my front row seat to my husband’s first day of scrutiny, not making eye contact with the reporters in here either. I knew they were only doing their job, but a part of me just wished they weren’t here.

I just need to see him, please. Let’s get this over with.

Last edited:
Isabel
Walking right beside Amelia, I had my arm looped through hers, keeping her close against me as we got out of the car and made our way into the courthouse. I didn't want anyone to even come within an inch of her but the crowd of photojournalists was massive. I instantly became annoyed. I knew they were just doing their job but I couldn't handle all the lenses pointed in Amelia's direction. It was a bunch of unwanted attention and both Amelia and I always preferred to be the one photographing others. I was thankful we had brought Dawson and Brett with us because they were basically being our bodyguards and I appreciated that more than anything right now.

Hearing what one reporter shouted out to Amelia, I had to bit my lip so I didn't cuss him out. It was insensitive but again, I knew they were just trying to do their job. Feeling Amelia grip my hand tighter, I released a soft sigh before I shook my head and gave her a tight squeeze in response.

"Afraid so, Melia, but don't listen to them. They're just trying to pry and poke for a quote." I whispered softly to her, continuing on our path toward the courtroom. Fucking assholes.

Once we made it into the courtroom, I followed Amelia to the front row, sitting right beside her and taking her hand yet again. Looking around the room I took note of the reporters and select photog's that were actually allowed into the room. It was no surprise it was mainly AP staff members and the DMN. Smiling weakly when a former colleague of mine waved, I just nodded before looking up at Dawson when he and Brett filed in beside me. The seating arrangement in the front row was a little something like this: At the end was Jayden's father, then his mother, Amelia, me, Dawson and Brett. The row behind us was full of the Covington clan along with a mixture of Jayden's family from Chicago. The rest of those empty rows were being filled quickly, by members of the community practically fighting to make their way in along with some police officers here in Jayden's honor. I knew damn well everyone in this courtroom didn't believe Jayden should be convicted, but I could only hope the jury thought the same.

I could tell Amelia just wanted to see Jayden and right now I didn't know what to do other than be there for her. With one hand holding hers, I held Dawson's with my other, looking up at him when he brushed my stomach with out joined hands. I smiled the same weak smile. It was a miracle I still fit into these slacks and blouse considering I was now a house for a growing child. "Te amo." I whispered to Dawson softly before I looked back when I heard the door open and watched Jayden stroll in. This fucker really walking in like that?

Jayden
Today was the day. Today was the day I had to face the harsh reality after spending an entire year trying to ignore it. My trial began today and this wouldn't be the first and last time I would set foot in that courtroom. I knew better than that. This would drag out longer than anyone wanted. I could only hope in the end, it all turned out in my favor. I killed a man, I threatened him, but he abused my wife and I wasn't going to stand for that. I didn't regret killing him and I never would. Even if I was convicted.

I told Amelia and Isabel I would meet them at the courthouse because I didn't want all of us to go together. I especially didn't want Amelia to be near me when the swarm of press just seemed to become an ocean when the two of us were beside each other. I wanted to keep her safe, something I promised I would continue to do the day I found her and saved her from Luciano, and now with the newest addition to the Acciolli family currently growing in their mom's belly, my promise to keep Amelia safe went beyond just her now.

After I gave the group of four enough time to arrive and situate themselves, I released a deep sigh before I walked out of the apartment and to my car, driving to the courthouse. When I arrived, I pushed past the press as quickly as I could, and after I got through security, I walked straight through the big wooden door and kept my cool when all heads turned around and faced me. I felt weak and vulnerable but I couldn't show it, so I stuck my hands in my pocket and walked straight to the bench in front of my family sitting in the front row. Looking back, I smiled at Amelia and took her into a hug when she stood up, not caring about the shutter sounds that echoed the room. I just needed to hold her before I began to go through hell.

"I love you. We'll get through this." I whispered softly, kissing her forehead before I pulled away, wishing I could just go back in time to when we were still in our own world. A world full of happiness.

Amelia
"We love you," I whispered looking up at him, biting my lip to keep my composure, but I could feel the tears gloss over my eyes with him standing in front of me, cameras still flashing, when Isabel reached for my arm and pulled me back into my seat so Jayden would walk away, not drawing too much attention. I knew she was looking out for our best interest with the media when our judgment continued to be clouded by emotions. I wasn't sure how long I could stay in this courtroom before I decided I couldn't take it anymore, but I would be here for as long as I could stand it. If it was up to Jayden, I wouldn't be here at all, he didn't want me to be a witness to any of this, but if anyone was going to spectate him literally fighting for his life, it was going to be me because I was the cause of all of this.

Watching Jayden take his seat with his council, it was the prosecution's turn to enter the courtroom, I attempted to hide my disgust at the woman who leads the case against him, but I can't say I hid my expression quick enough. Our dislike for each other ran thick, considering she fought for my testimony against Jayden. Needless to say, she was less than thrilled when I executed the one loophole to her subpoena.

The Year Before...
Two weeks after the state pressed charges against Lieutenant Jayden Acciolli were filed

Amelia
Jayden being actively charged with first-degree murder seemed like a never-ending nightmare. Since the case was announced neither one of us could go anywhere without some sort of security supervision because of how quickly the national media picked up the specifics of the case. With Jayden being stripped of his position, my journalistic integrity was still under investigation by the AP, and until the investigation was complete, I was on "leave" meaning neither one of us had a career at this point in our lives, but we still remained in our puppy love bubble, ignoring the reality that faced us, until, I was subpoenaed by the state to testify against Jayden. When I read the order I was horrified, being the cause of this whole situation was overwhelming as it was, and now, the state wanted my testimony to prove Jayden's guilt because I held witness to the killing? I refused.

Enraged, I slammed the order against the kitchen counter, I picked up the phone and called Jayden's lawyers before I even showed him the order. I needed to find a way out of this because there was no way in hell I would agree to do this. I would serve a sentence myself before I incriminated the man I loved. When Dianna, answered the phone, I let go of the breath I was holding.

"Hey Dianna, It's Amelia, we have a problem. I just got a subpoena to testify for the state. Are you available right now?" I asked politely, it was difficult to mask my anger but I knew she would understand considering the circumstance.

Jayden
After spending two hours of my morning out at the gym, I decided to run to the grocery store and pick up something to make tonight for Amelia and I. Seeing a flash illuminate through the window to my car, I let out a frustrated groan. I was growing tired of the constant press members hanging around me now that I was being tried for first degree murder but I couldn’t do anything about it. I knew they were just doing their jobs but considering Amelia and I could no longer go out in public together much these days, I hated being followed because they were the reason why. Shaking my head, I buckled my seatbelt before I took off from the gym parking lot and head straight for the closest grocery store I could find to do some quick shopping so I could make Amelia and I food.

Arriving at the closest Central Market, I wasn’t surprised when I was spotted yet again, this time by a civilian who just wanted to take a picture of me and post it to their social media.

Fucking hell. I need to shop and then get the hell out of here.

With that thought I did exactly that, going straight to the produce department before I made my way through the aisles and then lastly the meat area. I decided today I would make us my famous chicken parm. I was craving the pasta and favored a good fried chicken paired with it. After I grabbed everything I needed, I grabbed a bottle of wine to pair with it before checking out and practically rushing out back to my car. At this moment, all I wanted was to be back in the comfort of Amelia’s apartment and spending time with the love of my life. When we were there, we had a tendency to be in our own love sick bubble but when I arrived, my stomach dropped when I found Amelia in such an upset state. Setting the bags of groceries down by the door, I walked over to her and quickly took her into a hug, kissing the top of her head.

“What is it? What’s wrong, Amelia?” I asked her softly, becoming worried when she simply shook her head while trying to compose herself. When she pointed at the table, I slowly released her and went to see what she was pointing at. When I found the subpoena, I bit my lip as I began to feel nauseous.

That fucking asshole.

Setting the subpoena back down, I looked at Amelia while releasing a heavy sigh. If it came down to it, I would let her testify against me but considering the state I found her in, I knew that was the last thing she wanted.

“Amelia, hey, it’ll be okay. I’ll call Dianna and see what she has to say.” When she told me she already did, I expected nothing less from my fiancée. “What did she say?”

Last edited:
Amelia
"The only way around it is the spousal privilege," I replied, chewing on my chapped lip at my own nervousness to admit the rest of the conversation. "So, because there's no time to waste, I need you to sign this." Handing him the pen, I pushed the marriage application toward him, awaiting a reaction. I knew this isn't what Jayden wanted, but right now, it's what needed to be done.

Shaking my head at his trembling, I reached for his hand. "It's okay, we were going to do this anyway, it doesn't matter to me how it happens. Unless you thought about it. and you don't want to marry me anymore. But I still won't be testifying against you." Shrugging my shoulders nonchalantly. "It's up to you, Acciolli but I told Dianna we would bring her the license by Friday. Isabel and Dawson said they would be our witnesses unless you want someone else? What do you think?" I asked still holding his hand, hoping I didn't take this one step too far on my own without consulting him first, rationally, I probably should have, but now that I was constantly playing with the thought of Jayden facing life or death, I tended to be impulsive and straight forward in the decisions that involved the two of us.

Standing, I rested my hand on Jayden's shoulder. hearing his breathing while he did his best to comprehend what was happening.

"We're in this together," I whispered, kissing his neck gently to combat his silence.

Jayden
Processing everything Amelia had to say was a lot harder than I expected. I should've known spousal privilege was the only way to avoid something like this, I just wished the stupid ass attorney trying to throw me to the wolves wouldn't have pulled this strings for this. This was one of the lowest blows I ever had to face and it wasn't just because Amelia was expected to testify against me, that I could handle. I would want her to tell the whole truth, she had to, and I wouldn't resent her for any of it. I knew what I did. I knew in doing so I was playing with life and death but in the end, knowing Amelia was safe and not harmed more than the physical and sexual abuse she faced, it made all of this worth it. What wasn't worth it? This sudden marriage that I had to agree to so Amelia wouldn't be subpoenaed to testify. It was ridiculous.

Staring at the marriage application, I began biting the inside of my cheek to prevent myself from crying. Taking deep breaths, it was the only way I could attempt to keep my real feelings in regards to this hidden. I wasn't upset that I was practically being forced to marry the love of my life, how could I ever be? I was upset because she deserved so much more than this rushed marriage in a courthouse with Isabel and Dawson as our witnesses. She deserved a full wedding and an actual proposal that I began planning on my spare time since we made our own verbal commitment to one another. Amelia was worth so much more than this but looking up at her, I knew testifying against me would crush her and I didn't want to see that hurt on her face.

With a trembling hand, I attempted to try and sign my name. I couldn't get the nerves to settle and the silence was killing me but I didn't know what to say. This was a lot to take in in one single moment but when I felt Amelia's hand on my shoulder and the kiss she planted on my neck, I released the breath I didn't notice I was, attempting to sign the application without any lack of confidence.

"You're worth so much more than a marriage like this, Amelia," I whispered softly, turning look back at her with hurt eyes. "And worth a full proposal. I'm sorry I couldn't give you any of that sooner but I promise I will. One day, I'll ask you to marry me in a manner that you deserve and marry you all over again with a wedding that expresses your worth. You deserve that much and so much more. I promise I'll make it happen. I love you."

Kissing her cheek gently, I turned back around and signed the application, accepting the fact that Amelia and I were getting married within the next two weeks in a courthouse. It wasn't what I pictured our wedding to be like but I made a promise to make it up to her and I would if I got out of this trial. Setting the pen down, I cleared my throat before I turned back around and smiled at the light of my life.

"I bought stuff to make chicken parm tonight. I figured we could use a night in and I'm kind of tired of take out so I'm making dinner. I also bought the stuff for brownies if you would be so kind enough to make them for us."

Amelia
"If that's what you want, I can do that," I agreed, helping him carry in the groceries he bought before I found the wine and poured each of us a glass' before I got to work on making the batter for the brownies. The day went on like any other, but deep down, I was relieved to know that I dodged the chance of Jayden losing his life over my testimony.

The following Friday was the day we made things official. Getting dressed in a simple short white dress with a blush floral detail down the side that stopped at the waist, and a pair of white floral wedding style heels. Sighing as I looked at myself in the mirror while putting in the same diamond earrings that Jayden gifted me, it began to set in how crazy all of this was.

You can do this, Amelia.

Shaking off my nerves, I turned to Isabel and smiled.

"This is why I never wanted to fall for someone," I teased wrinkling my nose playfully, trying to calm my nerves about what I was about to commit to. I still didn't think I was wife material by any means, but there was no backing down now.

"I'm going to need a strong drink when this is over."

Isabel
It blew my mind to think today was the day Amelia and Jayden were getting married. I always pictured their wedding to be a little out there, especially considering Jayden would do anything Amelia wanted and would try to give her the world like he knew she deserved. The last thing I ever expected was for the couple to get married in a courthouse. Dawson and I agreed to be their witnesses though because we knew why this was happening and I knew Amelia wasn't going to testify against Jayden.

I decided to wear a red lace dress with spaghetti straps. I accompanied it with nude heels that tied at the top and had a lace pattern cut out similar to the dress. After that, I fixed my hair and put the final accents to go with my outfit such as my Sagittarius constellation necklace I've had for quite sometime now, a bracelet and some diamond stud earrings. I also decided to put on my diamond hoop on my helix piercing and a subtle inside crawler in my conch piercing.

Sitting on Amelia's bed after I finished getting dressed, I smiled at she stared at herself in the mirror. Even if this wedding was rushed, Amelia still looked beautiful and I figured she was giving herself a pep talk. Laughing softly at her, I shook my head before standing up and going to stand next to her, looking at both of our reflections. Dawson's going to murder me for wearing this dress.

"Well, a strong drink is something I can promise after this but as for you never wanting to fall for someone, I said the same thing and look at us now. You're going to be married, crazy how it's happening but I know Jayden will make it up to you," Smiling, I turned to look at my best friend. "Are you sure this is what you want to do?"

Jayden
Today was the day Amelia and I were going to walk into the courthouse as an engaged couple and walk out a married one. By all means, this wasn't how I planned our wedding to go, but I was going to make it up to her when all of the shit I was currently in blew over. Amelia was worth so much more than this. Opening the box with our wedding bands, I smiled gently at the ring Dawson helped me chose. It wasn't as flashy as it could get but it was good enough for now. I would more than likely invest in another one come our big wedding day. Shutting the box, I walked into the living room when I heard a knock on the door and opened it, smiling at Dawson. Moving aside, I let him in.

"Thanks for agreeing to be our witness, Dawson. It means a lot to us," I said softly, handing him the box with the rings before I went to my room and grabbed the jacket to my light grey suit and blush tie. Setting them on the couch, I buttoned up the remaining two buttons on my white long sleeve before I began to tie my tie around my neck. "I'm actually kind of nervous. This isn't how I planned any of this to go but I'll make it up to her. That's a promise. Do you know what Amelia and Isabel chose to wear today? All Isabel told me was to make sure I accented blush." I laughed, trying to brush off my nerves as casually as I could. I didn't want to dwell too much in my head about this.

Amelia
Reaching for Isabel's hands, I nodded. "I promise this is happening because I pushed for it. Jayden didn't want me to if this isn't what I wanted. and none of us know what's going to happen. Time isn't on our side here so there's no better time than the present. We just have to make the most of it while it's still in our control," I replied softly, my nerves still skyrocketing. I tried to avoid it, but whenever I thought about my future with Jayden, my mind had the tendency to entertain the worst possible outcome and that always made me emotional.

Taking one last deep breath, I nodded, pulling myself out of my thoughts. Today was supposed to be a memorable day and I wasn't going to ruin it with my fear this was all we would get.

"Alright, are we ready?" I asked gathering my things from my bed, grabbing my keys and purse like we were headed out for any casual outing. None of this still seemed real as I exited the bedroom, grinning nervously when I got the text from Jayden that he and Dawson were leaving.

"See you soon," I replied, realizing the next time I would lay my eyes on Jayden, I would be walking toward him still as a single entity and leaving being committed fully to another person.

Turning back to Isabel, I handed off the keys, knowing I was too distracted without saying a word I smiled again when she nodded in understanding.

"I don't think the cowboy is going to take your outfit choice very well."

Dawson
"I know nothing, I was just told to show up. I think they like to keep us clueless and the first step to marrying someone I would think is don't ask, just listen," I replied in a chuckle. But out of the two of them, I think ya got the easy one, but don't ya dare rat me out or I'm not signing anything for you today." When Jayden glared in my direction I was quick to back off.

"You know I'm kidding, I would have both of those headstrong women on my ass and once was enough for me. Now let's go, before you make us late and I have to take the blame."

"Here they come," I whispered standing next to a nervous Jayden who was awaiting the arrival of his bride. It may not have been the way Jayden envisioned things to go, but regardless, the day was just as significant to him. It was no secret this man fell hard for Amelia, and the last two years was just a big waiting game for him, waiting for the love of his life to decide when she was ready to take the next steps Jayden was ready to leap into from their first date. It was like one of those gross chick flicks, but Jayen knew Amelia was the one and there was no changing his mind. He didn't care how long or hard he had to work to get her attention he was relentless, and this moment, defined all his patience and effort was worth the long haul. Hell, thinking about how much Jayden loved Amelia was enough to even make a tough-hearted man like me emotional.

Thank God the Navy taught me to conceal my emotions or Jayden would be calling me a little bitch for crying at his wedding.

I almost hated to admit it, but Jayden never giving up on loving Amelia and embracing all her rough edges, made me admire him and want to continue to do the same for Isabel because she deserved unconditional love as well, even when I first laid eyes on her at our best friends wedding and gawked in horror at her outfit for the occasion. My immediate thought being that was something for the bedroom and not something to be worn out in public.

We'll discuss it later. I decided to plaster a grin on my face for Amelia and Jayden. When Isabel met me at my side, I reached for her hand, embracing this moment we got to share, witnessing the closest people two us becoming a unit was something special.

Jayden
To say Amelia was beautiful in the white dress with blush floral accents would be an understatement. She took my breath away and I know that may sound like something I had a tendency to say but this time was for real. She looked more than beautiful and she seemed to be glowing which in turn made me smile and reach the happiest point I could. When she made her way to standing across from me, I took her hands in my own, giving them a squeeze of reassurance that everything was going to be okay. I'll make this up to you, Amelia. I promise.

Being here in this courthouse knowing I was going to leave a married man made my stomach fill with nerves that I needed to get ahold of because they weren't necessary. I wasn't nervous about being united with Amelia for the rest of my life, honestly, it was something I was looking forward to, the anxiety stemmed from the fact that I didn't know if I really could give Amelia a full wedding like she deserved. There was no future guaranteed for me right now considering I was being tried for first degree murder. I could be convicted for all I know and then put to death since I decided to live in Texas. Get yourself together, Acciolli. These are not thoughts you should be having right now.

Releasing the deep breath I was holding, I was able to calm myself down long enough to solely focus on Amelia and our best friends who were here to witness this marriage. I had to continue living in the present and that's what I was planning to continue doing. The present was Amelia and I now being told to say our vows. Clearing my throat, I tried to put all my emotions back in a box. Times like this made me wish I was like Dawson so that I could conceal my emotions well but everyone knew I was probably the most emotional one out of all four gathered here in this room.

After saying the generic vows, the minister asked for the rings and I thanked Dawson when he gave me the black velvet box. Opening it, I let Amelia take my ring while I took hers, chuckling when she gasped at the sight of it. She was too precious and little did she know if we got the chance to redo this, her other ring would be much better than this one.

Slipping the band on her finger first, then the one with the diamond, I laughed when Amelia began to cry. I wasn't expecting any of us to cry but I was quick to wipe away the tears before I let her slip my wedding band on. After it all, we shared our first kiss as husband and wife, and I held the kiss for as long as I possibly could considering no one else was here but us and our best friends.

"Alright you two, get a room later!" I heard Isabel say in a teasing manner and after I released Amelia, I shook my head while laughing and held her hand in mine where it felt like it belonged. "Oh shut it, Anes." I said simply before we were given the certificate after Isabela and Dawson signed it. Now, we were apparently supposed to go to dinner. It was Isabel's treat for Amelia and I and I wasn't opposed to the idea. "Where are we headed?"

Isabel
My wonderful boyfriend and dearest friends were not ready to arrive at the restaurant I had booked for the four of us. After much careful consideration, I decided Amelia and Jayden deserved to eat rather upscale and considering I had the money set in my savings, I didn't mind splurging. Plus, it was one of the most special days in our lives so we deserved to go out together. Considering what Jayden was currently going through, I knew once the media was tipped off about their wedding, they would be in the area rather quickly, waiting to get a statement from either of them. To avoid as much contact with the rest of the world, I decided to be even more extra and book us a reserved dining area.

When Dawson and I arrived to The Mansion Restaurant in Uptown Dallas first, I wasn't surprised with his instant decision to do valet parking. At first I felt like the cowboy would be out of place here but I knew damn well this type of restaurant wasn't something he wouldn't be used to considering who his family was. Stepping out of the truck before he could come out and help, I grabbed my clutch purse before closing the door and waiting for Dawson to come around. When he did I could tell he wasn't pleased with the amount of eyes specifically on me because of my dress.

Guys act like this kind of dress is fucking lingerie. Men are literal trash.

Walking over to Amelia and Jayden when they arrived, I quickly took Amelia's hand and lead her inside, going up the flight of stairs needed before we arrived at the hostess stand. Letting the hostess know my name for the reservation, I followed them to a balcony area that was hidden from the main area by some curtains and quickly sat down at the table for four.

"Well, what do y'all think?" I asked with a bright smile as the other three sat down.

"I expected nothing less from you, Anes." Jayden said with a laugh before he pulled out Amelia's chair and then pushed her back in closer to the table when she sat down. I thought Jayden's simple gesture of chivalry were touching and sweet, maybe even a little more so because I didn't really let Dawson do them for me anymore.

"Well, I've only been here one other time and figured you and Amelia deserved nothing less than this considering y'all are now husband and wife." I said excitedly, placing my elbows on the table and resting my chin on my hands with a playful smile on my face. I knew this wasn't proper etiquette but considering most thought my dress wasn't appropriate I didn't really give a rats ass.

Amelia
Rolling my eyes at Isabel's remark, I caught myself blushing in embarrassment. "Shut you, you're too excited about this," I hate that you won the debate over me caving and getting married. Now you're going to relish in it forever.
Present Day
To no one's surprise, Isabel and I ended the night pretty intoxicated, I don't remember much of it, but I knew would much rather be back in that moment than a jam-packed courtroom as my husband made his plea and the opening statements began, my anxiety took over and I trembled the entire time. The whole experience was bizarre to me. When Jayden announced his not guilty plea, the courtroom erupted in applause and cheers from the spectators before the judge brought order back to the room. Over the last year, the public outrage that Jayden was being tried for such a serious crime given the circumstance genuinely outraged the public. Any logical person supported Jayden's rash and 'unethical" decision because of who he killed. Luciano was a career criminal who was suspected of killing and sexually assaulting multiple women on top of the crimes Jayden and his team were trying to bust him for. This man was what Jayden considered "scum," a man who considered everyone else a pawn in his game and he didn't care what he had to do to someone as long as the outcome benefitted him. He had no moral compass but because Jayden's actions were considered professionally unethical, he was now facing severe public scrutiny by the media and the lawyers whose job it was to villainize him for every wrong move me made that day, depicting the man he killed as a criminal, but still a person who didn't deserve to die as a result of Jayden's emotions getting the best of him. The whole thing was ridiculous, but I was obviously holding a bias. None of this struck me as real yet, and I didn't think it ever would.

I wanted to lean into Isabel, but I didn't want to give the photographers another photo opportunity after Jayden made a point to display his affection, that was going to be front page later today and tomorrow until they captured something better. Nothing would sell better than a husband on trial consoling his pregnant wife right before the beginning of his trial. From a media standpoint, it was actually pretty genius. If it were me, I'd get the same shot. The thing that made me laugh is when they took notice to the prominent wedding bands on my left hand as I just as genuinely rested my hand casually on my growing bump. If they were going to sell this angle, I was going to play if well for the sake of the humanistic value in the story. It wasn't a shocker when they fell for it either.

Isabel
I wished more than anything we could go back in time to days where we were all together and laughing, enjoying ourselves. I didn't really focus much on the opening statements, I was too far in my thoughts. What pulled me out was hearing everyone stand up and cheer after Jayden made his not guilty plea. Releasing a soft sigh, I heard the nonstop shutters and I quickly diverted my attention to the photographers in the room. I followed their lenses, trying to eye what they were eyeing, and when I saw what their money shot was right now, I had to stifle my laugh before I shook my head.

Amelia's playing with them and they're falling for it. Fools.

Reaching over, I took Amelia's free hand in mine, smiling at her when she glanced over before I gave her a squeeze. I wanted to give them another shot I knew they would buy after Amelia was consoled by her husband. Also being consoled by your best friend was a good shot. I knew the shot they were going to use was already shot. It was taken the minute Amelia rested her other hand on her baby bump with her engagement ring glistening in the light. It was still crazy for me to think Amelia and I were pregnant but the minute this trial was over, I knew our lives were starting a whole new chapter with the newest additions and I was ready to see our children grow up together. I was excited to be a mother.

Amelia
After a couple of minutes, I tuned out the sound of the shutter I was trained to love and turned my attention to the opening statements from both sides. I was curious how both the prosecution and defense were going to paint their pictures of Jayden to appeal to the jury, For now, I had to put all my faith and trust into the defense team that was working tirelessly to ensure to the best of their ability that my husband would get out of this alive. In the very least, if he was convicted, I prayed that the jury would favor the option of a life sentence over an execution. At least then that way Jayden would get the best opportunity to be a part of everyone's lives from afar.

Alyssa Hampton A.K.A. Lead prosecutor in Texas v. Acciolli
When the Acciolli case came across my desk, I knew I needed to be the one to take the case and form a team to hold the lieutenant accountable for his actions. He was responsible for violating several parts of the ethical code he swore to as a young officer and regardless of who it was, Jayden was responsible for murdering someone unjustly. Letting his emotions take control he made a poor judgment call. Aside from killing someone he brought someone onto the investigation that had no business handling such confidential information, she was an investigative journalist after all, who also had personal ties to Amelia. It was PR's worst nightmare, and there was no question as to whether or not Jayden committed the act, he admitted guilt, proudly I might add, but foolishly proceeded to plead not guilty on the premise of his victim's criminal background, when in reality, Jayden Acciolli should have never been on the case or anywhere near Luciano.

Truthfully the whole Dallas Police Department was also presented with charges for the incident for letting Jayden take control, but after a hefty settlement agreement and a re-training of all its officers, the department got off without facing the scorn of the media.

My hopes with Jayden through, was that he would not end up like the many white officers who got off with a slap on the wrist after abusing their privilege. It was a phenomenon that disgusted. The abuse of such authority was the reason the public's lack of trust in its law enforcement and the state team hope this case would be a turning point to the societal viewpoint that police officers had criminal immunity.

The morning of the trial I knew the press's point of interest would be on Jayden and Amelia, over the last year, they developed the persona of the sensational couple who came out of a horrible situation and made the best of it despite what happened. When the public took Jayden's side for saving his now wife, I knew it would make my job a hell of a lot harder but I still wasn't going to give in. My team and I waited a year to bring this case to trial and now that it was here, Jayden had to play my ballgame now, and my opening statement was only the first pitch.

Grinning when the judge brought the courtroom to order after Jayden locked in his plea, I stood when the judge then called for proceedings to begin. Fixing my black blazer I nodded at Judge Spivey.

"Thank you, your Honor."

Turning to the jury I offered a grin, folding my hands in front of me as I paced the room, feeling all eyes on me, I basked in my moment.

"Ladies and Gentlemen,"

"Let's go back to May 28, 2023. "

"Lueitentient Acciolli was serving as an undercover officer in an operation to detain my client and his group of men for their criminal activity, but, after his cover was blown, instead of following the proper procedure after discovering his love interest was captured, Lueitentient Acciolli took matters into his own hands, letting his feelings of passion and lividity compromise the investigation. Over the course of the twenty-four hours, his girlfriend went missing, the officer refused to give up control of the case, blatantly ignoring the fact that his personal interest was an obvious conflict of interest. In addition, Lueitentient Acciolli brought in two additional persons to help aide him in the investigation, giving them access to high profile and confidential information not to be handled by the public, one of them his best friend, who has a naval background, the other an investigative reporter who could have easily leaked this information, needless to say, the journalist also had a personal connection to the captured woman. In the process of trying to find her, Lueitentient Acciolli also delivered personal threats to my client over his work phone, threating to use violence against him when he found him, and when Lueitentient Acciolli found Luciano, as you'll hear later on, he delivered his deadly threats as promised, killing my client in an instant without any premise of command from his responding team. "

"Now, I know, because my client had a criminal history leading up to his death, leaving some of you to feel inclined to see past Lueitentient Acciolli's actions, however, it is your job as the jury to understand that the law is the law and those who break it as intensely and intentionally as Lueitentient Acciolli did need to be held accountable for their wrongdoings in order to maintain a standard for society. Abusing police privilege to swoop in and saved a loved one as heroic as it seems, is unjust, especially at the cost of someone else's life, regardless of their history. In the eyes of the American justice system, life is a life, and murder, premeditated none the less, is frowned upon, and guilt is guilt. I hope as a jury, by the end of this trial you'll come to understand there is no question of guilt in this case and you'll hold this former officer to his consequences for not following protocol on the basis that his unethical behavior will set an example for all other law enforcement who fall back on the belief that they can not be punished for their actions simply because they hold the power of a badge. Thank you."

Cameron Olson A.K.A. Lead Defense in Texas v. Acciolli
Jayden Acciolli I knew was a decent and devoted member to the Dallas community. He had been a part of the department for close to ten years now and just recently took on a role as an undercover cop after being pressured into it by his superiors. It seemed to me, after getting the opportunity to speak with Jayden, he did this to please his chief in hopes it would gain him enough respect to continue to climb the ranks, which was fair, until it came back and blew up in his face when his now wife ended up serving as collateral damage after his cover was blown. Since then, both of their lives took a disastrous turn for the worst.

After hearing Allysa's dehumanizing opening, I couldn't help but shake my head. resting a hand on Jayden's tense shoulder before I stood to deliver my own opening. It was my responsibility to bring back the human element to this case that the prosecution just tried to eradicate completely by choosing to deliberately not mention Amelia by name, or mention what she went through in those twenty-four hours.

Taking the "stage" I lifted my head to the jury, releasing a heavy sigh before I began.

"Her name is Amelia, Amelia Acciolli and in those same twenty-four hours the defense brought attention to before her attacker was killed, Amelia was captured, binded, hog-tied, blinded folded, and being so terrified for her life, thought the only way to stay alive long enough to be found was to play the part and try to seduce her captor. Both to her relief and terror, the plan worked but gave way to being repeatedly sexually assaulted, until finally, law enforcement came to her rescue. But not before being held at gunpoint as a last chance bargaining chip. She's one of the "lucky" ones. Aside from Amelia, there were at least 24 dead women and 14 reported sexual assaults in connection to this criminal who unlike, Jayden killed and broke the law countless times for his own entertainment and benefit. Ladies and gentlemen, contrary to the defense's statement, the law and it's consequences are not black and white. That is the beauty of our legal system, the law is left for open interpretation. There are some gray areas, and the claim that Jayden acted recklessly in an act of heated passion, while it could be perceived this way, there were some things we overlooked. Jayden was never the lead on the case of Amelia's disappearance, he was under constant supervision and was merely used in the investigation as a way to get through to Amelia with their being no other way, This is one of those gray areas that make us put aside implemented ethical practices aside if it makes the difference between life and death. If we're going to go off the same argument life is life, I would consider the Dallas Police Department's actions to save Amelia's as the right judgment call. Perhaps Jayden should not have been in the room, we can all agree on that, but who's to say if he didn't pull the trigger if someone else wouldn't have done the same? And if he hadn't who's to say Amelia would have been the 25th kill? She would not have ever got the opportunity to marry the man who saved her, the love of her life, or carry his child as she is now after facing yet another emotionally exhausting battle, this time with infertility. So the question I would pose for all of you throughout the trial is the life of a killer and a mobster really equal to his victims? and should the man who put an end to the mobster's reign of terror on the city of Dallas pay with his life and miss the lifetime with his wife and child that was already jeopardized once before.

Thank you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back