• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy An Earthen Lament | OOC [FULL]

A
Created at
Index progress
Complete

The OOC and Character Application/Proposal thread for An Earthen Lament.
Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
OOC

Gowi

dreamer memer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
0c9a82f45038e6e6ef52f0826fa05d53.png

Genres: Dark Fantasy
Posting Expectations: Adept, Literate
Players: 3-5
An Earthen Lament is a dark fantasy roleplay in the vein of Dragon Age: Origins and The Witcher. It is a world that will be generated as player and GM involvement dictates, though the style will be dictated through the darkness that permeates throughout the setting. Staples of the setting are pretty cut-and-dry at the moment. Magic is heavily restricted and dictated by the religious wing of the current monarchy otherwise known as the Divine Order. The people of Lerenthia get more superstitious and wild as you go further south toward the frontier and marshlands.

General fantasy races exists such as dwarves and elves, but they serve in similar capacity as in the World of Dragon Age. Anything else will be explained periodically or be generated through discussions and plotting. Player Characters should be characters who either fled the northern provinces for their own reasons or ventured into the south for profit. Writing expectations are flexible, but those accepted should expect to be able to write and format to an intermediate level. I'm not asking for novels, but imaginative and descriptive writing whether it be two paragraphs or seven. Only paramount rules are don't waste my time, don't be an asshole, and be patient.

All character proposals should be posted here before being accepted and migrated to the characters thread.

Last edited:
Character Sheet Template:
Code:
[div class=fyuriwrapper][div=display:flex;flex-wrap: wrap;][div class=leftside][div class=FC][IMG width="371px"]https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d8/6c/42/d86c42200014db438cbcb54129d0e467.jpg[/IMG][/div]
[div class=headerleft]Nameofyourcharacter
[/div][div=position:relative;][div class=tri][/div][/div]
[SIZE=3]Genderhere Racehere
Class/Titlehere[/SIZE]
[/div][div=flex: 1;
padding:10px;box-sizing:border-box;][div class=headermain]Personality[/div]
Your character's personality.

[div class=headermain]Background[/div]
A brief description of your character's background.

[div class=headermain]Skills & Abilities[/div]
Describe your talents and skills.

[div class=headermain]Equipment[/div]
List your general gear, including wealth, and potions/salves.

[div=display:none;][font=Yanone Kaffeesatz].[/font][/div]
[div=display:none;][font=Noto Sans].[/font][/div]
[class=fyuriwrapper]
max-width:950px;
margin:auto;
font-family:'Noto Sans', Verdana;
[/class]

[class=leftside]
background-color: #4c4c4c;
color:#fff;
max-width: 350px;
height: 100%;
padding:10px;
box-sizing:border-box;
[/class]

[class=FC]
background:#fff;
max-width:350px;
max-height:350px;
overflow:hidden;
border:10px solid white;
text-align:center;
[/class]

[class=headerleft]
position:relative;
left:-40px;
max-width:320px;
background:#63AAAA;
padding:5px 5px 0px 40px;
font-family:'Yanone Kaffeesatz', Verdana;
font-size:30px;
letter-spacing:2px;
line-height:30px;
[/class]

[class=tri]
position:absolute;
top:0px;
left:-39.5px;
width:30px;
height:30px;
background:#4d8d8d;
-webkit-clip-path: polygon(0 0, 100% 0, 100% 100%);
clip-path: polygon(0 0, 100% 0, 100% 100%);
[/class]

[class=headermain]
border-bottom: 2px solid #63AAAA;
line-height:18px;
margin:0px 0px -20px 0px;
[/class]
[/div][/div][/div]

Last edited:
I went through so much trouble to make that meme. You should be proud.

On an unrelated note, if anybody wants me to answer questions or add anything specific to the lore document do let me know.

Gowi Gowi question, im assuming the magecarium is kinda like circle of magi???? like what's the bisniz with that?

More or less the exact same. What do you want to know?
if institutionally its the same, like young recruits + older ones with enchanters ordained by the higher power? plan on a character having been magecarium trained and then prolly joining rebel mages and scooping out

if institutionally its the same, like young recruits + older ones with enchanters ordained by the higher power? plan on a character having been magecarium trained and then prolly joining rebel mages and scooping out
I'm on mobile so bear with me.

That's all correct. If you need me to add a failed mage revolt I can do that, though if you need me to consider anything else let me know.

I'll be working on more of the lore page later on tonight, but a few revisions were done before bed.

>>

But it's basically that right?

never played Dragon Age or The Witcher so yeah >>
hogwarts is more modern, as this is fantasy it's going to play less on what we know as schooling institutions. Also, magic is less "bibbity boppity lose your wand" and more "well i just ripped the veil and a demon is definitely possessing me"

Magicariums are the Circle of Magi parallels, yes.

When people of magical ability are found in Anemor (and less often the Confederacy) they are sent to one of the magicariums to study magic but also be watched over. Magic is seen as a dangerous weapon and the corruption of Sandalphon, the dragon spoken of in the opening prompt, is often the basis for not only the strict education of these mages but also their draconian residence in a magicarium. Think of magicariums as jedi temples from Star Wars and you'll be close of how they function if you aren't familiar with Dragon Age.

Alright, that's another update of the lore thread. I think it is coming along nicely. Hopefully my edits don't contradict some old information too much.

Well, I don't want to have you guys read anything superfluous. :coolshades:

Will try to have Pippin up and updated to the new sheet by the end of the weekend; if not, then sometime in the next coming days.

ok, i think, i think... this is gonna be the first post of the CS (please please let me know if i need to change anything that seems like improbable or needs explanation)

[div class=fyuriwrapper]
[div class=leftside][div class=FC]
51ecc76845e491c6b7d8ec0a01976c30.png

[div class=headerleft]Rowan Íshár
[/div]
[div class=tri]
[/div]
Female Human
Spirit Mage
[/div]
[div class=headermain]Personality

As much of a lithe beauty she appears, Rowan's interior hides a rowdy and boisterous side to herself-- one cultivated by having been raised as the youngest in a family of all unruly men. Her years at the magecarium gave her poise and intellect, but the crass candor she exhibits makes it clear she spent her childhood in a small, tight-knit village. When fully comfortable, or under the manipulative fingers of alcohol, her layers shear away to reveal the live fire beneath a mountain of ice. She loves to drink, and loves to show off how good at it she is. Rowan curses quite a bit too, and has little patience for slow people; her brain moves much too quickly and rapidly. Above all, Rowan knows how to survive-- and the sacrifices that come with it.

[div class=headermain]Background[/div]
Rowan's actual birth remains a mystery, even to this day. Her adoption was an obvious one to the young girl, once she found a reflection and saw that she looked nothing like her dark-haired and tan-skinned brothers and father. There was never any tension in the family, and the brothers treated Rowan like the littlest brother, scoring the girl her fair share of bruises and bumps throughout her childhood. They lived in a small village, a couple week's journey south of Anemor. Malachi, Her father, was stern; he was not without kindness and diligence however, getting her reading by the time she was three. Malachi's own past was a mystery, and Rowan was only privy to it on an odd occasion or two when he was drunk. To an extent, it seemed that her father knew about Rowan's abilities, because before she even officially showed any magic she was carefully shipped away to the magicarium in Emberdawn.

To refute the change of scenery that came so abruptly, Rowan made sure to raise hell in her first years at the magicarium. She started fights, (may have started a fire once or twice), and routinely tried to sneak out. The girl made almost no friends, and began to resent her family and her life at the magicarium. The few close connections she made were only peers that she had lectures with or trained with. Rowan felt the monotony constraining, and it tortured the young girl. By her third year, one of the Enchanters reached out to Rowan. She was an older, sassy woman and Rowan found herself bonding with her. The Enchanter inspired Rowan that fighting would only make her years here more insufferable, but quietly told her to keep the flame alight; that it would be useful later to have someone as vivacious in her freedom as Rowan.

So, as the years passed she finally focused in on her studies and practices. Once she applied herself, Rowan excelled exponentially. Her magic was stronger than some of the others at her age, and this was eventually determined to be because Rowan had a stronger connection to the veil. No one could quite place why, and Rowan truly had no knowledge herself. Gaining prestige and renown among her peers, Rowan felt some trace of... belonging at that point. As a consequence, she held back the harder parts of her and maintained her air of mystique and control. But with her newfound growth came the harsh hand of the binds that were within the magicarium. Despite being praised by her peers, Rowan found new restrictions being slapped upon her like the same delinquent child that she was before. It infuriated the young woman, and something sparked within.

And indeed, just as the old Enchanter predicted, Rowan would use her flame of rebellion to inspire others. Under the wing of her 'mentor' of sorts, a small group of rebel mages began meeting in the off hours, when watchful eyes had less presence. Rowan, known as a bit of a prodigy among the others, was able to ignite similar fires within others. They preached about how unfair and unjust it was that they were coralled like cattle, and force fed writs and studies to be complacent and powerful toys. When in reality, Rowan would counter, that magic is far more of a gift that only magic-users could understand and use; not to rule unfairly with either, but to place their stake as more than prisoners of fear. The old Enchanter began to puppet Rowan for her own, rebellion-fueled intentions, and although Rowan began to see through the guise, she did not complain. She felt as if she were making a real difference, and could inspire change in those oppressed around her.

Things went horribly wrong when one of the men that Rowan knew, Jared, managed to escape with a priestess he fell in love with. Employing Rowan to help him escape, she encouraged the young man and his lover to find peace in the south, away from the harsh northern laws. Sometime later, Rowan heard the fateful news-- Jared had been slain after he let a demon wreak havoc, and possess him in turn. There were whispers among the magicarium, mostly from people who knew how close Rowan was with the rebel mage. Slowly over the course of a couple years, the wayward eyes of the guarding inquistors began to turn toward Rowan and the companions, and the walls of their rebellion began to crack bitterly. As well, those around her began to blame her for Jared's death and slip from sanity. Rowan came to find that these rumours started from the old Enchanter.

In an last ditch effort to avoid being pacified, or locked away, Rowan made her escape from the magicarium. But, not before attempting to squeeze the life out of the old Enchanter she thought she knew so well.

Rowan has been on the run, south now, for the last year or so. She's taken up different names and identities, keeping her magic well hidden. She hopes to find some answer to her birthright, and perhaps an idea of what made everything go so wrong.

[div class=headermain]Skills & Abilities[/div]

Rowan took to her magic training very well at the magicarium, with a natural advantage to spirit magic and a slightly deeper reserve of mana. She has a base level of defensive and offensive spells, but her strong suit is indeed with spirits and the veil. She can pull barriers, strengthened by her relationship to the veil, and disrupt any area spells by enemy magic. She can heal as well, but it does take a stronger amount of mana to do such.

Aside from magic, Rowan has a pretty high survivalist and herbalist ability. She knows her way around flora and fauna and can craft reasonably strong poultices.

While not proficient in most weapons, Rowan is able to handle herself unarmed. She packs a wicked punch and can lift things almost twice her weight (perhaps augmented by her powers, but undetermined). Luckily enough, she was taught to use a bow and arrow for hunting by her ranger father, and although it was a long time ago, she still remembers at least an adept knowledge of using a bow and arrow.

[div class=headermain]Equipment[/div]
1 backpack and bedroll
1 medium sized spellbook, handwritten by Rowan
2 small daggers, mostly for emergency only and tucked into her boots
1 bow and 20 arrows, hunting mostly but occasionally an arrow gets caught in someone's foot
1 waterskin, though it smells of alcohol sometimes
1 small bag containing edible flora, and enough rations for a week
1 small, silver locket gifted to her by her family before she left to the magicarium
4 health poultices, two of which are a much higher strength than the others
4 miscellaneous salves, some for burns, some for rashes

[class=fyuriwrapper]
max-width:950px;
font-family:'Noto Sans', Verdana;
[/class]

[class=leftside]
background-color: #4c4c4c;
color:#fff;
max-width: 350px;
height: 100%;
padding:10px;
[/class]

[class=FC]
background:#fff;
max-width:350px;
max-height:350px;
border:10px solid white;
text-align:center;
[/class]

[class=headerleft]
position:relative;
left:-40px;
max-width:320px;
background:#63AAAA;
padding:5px 5px 0px 40px;
line-height:30px;
[/class]

[class=tri]
position:absolute;
top:0px;
left:-39.5px;
width:30px;
height:30px;
background:#4d8d8d;
-webkit-clip-path: polygon(0 0, 100% 0, 100% 100%);
clip-path: polygon(0 0, 100% 0, 100% 100%);
[/class]

[class=headermain]
border-bottom: 2px solid #63AAAA;
line-height:18px;
margin:0px 0px -20px 0px;
[/class]
[/div][/div][/div]

Last edited:
BELIAL. BELIAL.

The only thing I would like to see is the half-elf lineage being brought up in her backstory. So far it appears the village she came from treated her no different than any other human and while the magicarium would care little about racial genealogy, I doubt a simple farming village would be the same. So far she reads like a human with human experiences. I do quite like your magicarium story, though and I can work with it, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back