Other Am I wrong for feelin annoyed by this?

Coco Adel

The Abandoned Maiden
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So am I wrong for feeling annoyed when someone is asking for advice or an opinion and they explain their situation or question and it feels like people are just looking to give their opinion on the subject without taking the person in question into account?

Here is what I mean. Say someone asks what they should do about people on their RP that aren't putting out adequate responses. This person makes it very clear that they aren't particularly against one-liners or short responses as long as they give adequate responses to the people they are interacting with. For example, if they are in combat with another player they can't just say "He dodges the attack" clearly you have to explain how they dodged depending on the nature of the attack, which why did they dodge, how did they dodge, did they side-step, dodge-roll, duck, jump over it?

Then imagine if you will someone replying with. "Well, not everyone is able to pump out 20 lines like you, maybe you should be more considerate and understanding of their limitations as opposed to holding them to your standard"

This irritates me because nowhere in their statement does it say they have an issue with short responses but does have an issue with them not putting the effort in to respond properly to the person they are interacting with and want to know how to deal with it and I see these kinds of people repeatedly comment on a post, making assumptions and not actually being helpful to the point where the OP constantly has to repeat themselves and tell them "No that is not what I said" essentially. It's like all they wanted to do was talk and not actually give any useful insight in relation to the person who is asking for help. Am I wrong for being annoyed by it?

That sounds like one, no two, people in particular I've seen around here. No, you're not. It is annoying. Sometimes it's just people wanting to talk for simply the sake of talking.

It's definitely annoying. Sometimes the wording by an OP can be unclear which can organically lead to those kinds of responses, but if OP clarifies (or was very clear from the start) and the person still keeps changing the goalposts of the conversation to suit whatever argument they want to make... yeah, drives me nuts.

We've become faineant in the regard that we listen only to respond instead of to understand.

I don't think it's unusual to be upset about that.

Yeah, it is annoying and you're justified in feeling annoyed by it.

...that said, playing the devil's advocate here for a moment, it's also important to account for the fact that sometimes the phrasing of the topic may be misleading regarding what the question actually is, or that the other person is adressing the matter but in a broader sense, rather than a specific situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back