• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Alive but Barely Living || OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here

cosowarrior

This is the OOC thread for the Modern Sci-Fi RP, Alive but Barely Living.

Feel free to chat, plot/scheme, and generally goof around here! An active OOC builds a strong RP, I say.

Heyo~
DarkianMaker DarkianMaker Reckon Bobby and Dr Valhein would have a history? It's very possible that Bobby would have gotten injured given his line of work, perhaps we could say that Valhein was his surgeon/doctor in the past and they kept in touch? It'd be a good segue into having the two initially interact and discuss the strange happenings of OsiriGenix's business.

Heyo~
DarkianMaker DarkianMaker Reckon Bobby and Dr Valhein would have a history? It's very possible that Bobby would have gotten injured given his line of work, perhaps we could say that Valhein was his surgeon/doctor in the past and they kept in touch? It'd be a good segue into having the two initially interact and discuss the strange happenings of OsiriGenix's business.
Hmm, don't think so, being wounded in the line of duty would be quite the impact on him and would thus be in his background. I like to go in as a generic cop whose only pre-existing relationships with other players would be other cops.

Hmm, don't think so, being wounded in the line of duty would be quite the impact on him and would thus be in his background. I like to go in as a generic cop whose only pre-existing relationships with other players would be other cops.
Alrighty, fair enough then.

I should have a sheet up sometime later today; picture will be a headshot for now, but I'm working on getting a fullbody done for later.

Your character has such a great backstory! My only concern is that you say Dr. Valheim was revived in 2003, but the technology needed to revive someone cryogenically frozen would be, I imagine, almost indistinguishable from that needed to bring the dead back to life, since frozen people are dead people. Because that technology would not have been around until ~2017 according to this plot, I think it would make more sense if he were revived by OsiriGenix in more recent times; he could even have been one of the first subjects this was tested on. Would that work for you?

Also, just to note, this RP will take place in the year 2018 or later.
If that were the case, he'd also become victim to the regression of his treatment and would have died already. As lazy as it is, I just made the assumption that the nazis had rudimentary but effective technology due to their immoral pursuits in a scientific advantage. Maybe they froze him to absolute zero, thus putting him in true stasis, and the container had a function to unfreeze him in a manner that did not damage his body? This is getting a little convoluted so we could just go for the OsiriGenix route, but we'd need a reason for why Dr Valhein is still alive when many of those like him are dying.

Although I must admit, it would be one more burning reason as to why the good doctor's motive drives him so feverishly to discover the truth: for the sake of his research, for the sake of these people that are falling victim to it, and for the sake of his own life.

If that were the case, he'd also become victim to the regression of his treatment and would have died already. As lazy as it is, I just made the assumption that the nazis had rudimentary but effective technology due to their immoral pursuits in a scientific advantage. Maybe they froze him to absolute zero, thus putting him in true stasis, and the container had a function to unfreeze him in a manner that did not damage his body? This is getting a little convoluted so we could just go for the OsiriGenix route, but we'd need a reason for why Dr Valhein is still alive when many of those like him are dying.

Although I must admit, it would be one more burning reason as to why the good doctor's motive drives him so feverishly to discover the truth: for the sake of his research, for the sake of these people that are falling victim to it, and for the sake of his own life.

Well, not necessarily. The process reverses suddenly, but not immediately, and it doesn't necessarily affect everyone on the same timeline. For instance, one person could have gone more than a year before experiencing anything, while another degraded after 7 months. I think it would have to do with the conditions the body was in when they were revived, as well as possibly individual genetics. The fact that Dr. Valhein was frozen (alive, I pressume?) could play into why his procedure was so much more successful than some others, especially those who were dead for a while before being revived.

The biggest concern of mine, I guess, is that this plot takes place in our current universe. I created it based on actual recent events (for anyone who's nerdy like me and wants to read up on it, check out here and here), so this is kind of a thought experiment on what would happen if these trials were successful. I'd like to avoid alternative histories as much as possible to make it as real as possible.

I do think you're right; having personal stakes in his research would definitely add an interesting dimension to the doctor's motives.

Also very interesting, cryogenic research made some cool breakthroughs in real life at the same time this brain-death research began (see here). I think that plays into the plot pretty perfectly. =P

Well, not necessarily. The process reverses suddenly, but not immediately, and it doesn't necessarily affect everyone on the same timeline. For instance, one person could have gone more than a year before experiencing anything, while another degraded after 7 months. I think it would have to do with the conditions the body was in when they were revived, as well as possibly individual genetics. The fact that Dr. Valhein was frozen (alive, I pressume?) could play into why his procedure was so much more successful than some others, especially those who were dead for a while before being revived.

The biggest concern of mine, I guess, is that this plot takes place in our current universe. I created it based on actual recent events (for anyone who's nerdy like me and wants to read up on it, check out here and here), so this is kind of a thought experiment on what would happen if these trials were successful. I'd like to avoid alternative histories as much as possible to make it as real as possible.

I do think you're right; having personal stakes in his research would definitely add an interesting dimension to the doctor's motives.
Also very interesting, cryogenic research made some cool breakthroughs in real life at the same time this brain-death research began (see here). I think that plays into the plot pretty perfectly. =P

Yes, I suppose that makes sense concerning Valhein's revival. He would have to have been revived in 2003 though, as he was frozen at the age of 39 and has been unfrozen for about 14 years according to my bio. Would OsiriGenix have had their technology and been running trials by then? And if Valhein has been alive for 14 years since his revival, perhaps his genetics would be useful for finding a more permanent version of this temporary-revivification technology. Unless it was purely because of his frozen disposition in this particular case.

So, if we assume that this stem-cell brain reviving technology has succeeded, we could also assume that the technology to safely bring someone out of cryosleep has proved successful? If you'd rather we stick to the cryogenics side of things, that is. If you're concerned about how the Nazis had that technology, we can say they merely stumbled upon it accidentally via using the same chemical mixture used to freeze the brains in that article, but the technology was then lost in time as the research facilities were each inevitably destroyed or forgotten about.

Yes, I suppose that makes sense concerning Valhein's revival. He would have to have been revived in 2003 though, as he was frozen at the age of 39 and has been unfrozen for about 14 years according to my bio. Would OsiriGenix have had their technology and been running trials by then? And if Valhein has been alive for 14 years since his revival, perhaps his genetics would be useful for finding a more permanent version of this temporary-revivification technology. Unless it was purely because of his frozen disposition in this particular case.

So, if we assume that this stem-cell brain reviving technology has succeeded, we could also assume that the technology to safely bring someone out of cryosleep has proved successful? If you'd rather we stick to the cryogenics side of things, that is. If you're concerned about how the Nazis had that technology, we can say they merely stumbled upon it accidentally via using the same chemical mixture used to freeze the brains in that article, but the technology was then lost in time as the research facilities were each inevitably destroyed or forgotten about.

Yes, I think we can say that reviving someone from cryo was successful, though I wouldn't call it cryosleep so much as cryopreservation. They would just use revivification technology to bring the frozen specimens back to life. But again, I don't want to alter the actual history of it too much, so having him revived in 2003 probably will not work for this plot. It is possible that OsiriGenix could have performed secret trials on humans before receiving official permission from the US government, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it beyond a few years prior to 2017. This stuff is pretty new, so it's unlikely they could have succeeded with this and kept it secret for so long dating 14 years back. As far as what it means for your character's age and such, I don't know. You might have to make a few adjustments to the timeline of things.

Sheet's done for now; decided to just keep things minimal and go with what was provided.

Beautiful! Judging by your earlier comment, I assume you drew that lovely image yourself?

By the way, after rereading the plot, I realized this RP will be taking place in ~2022, not 2018 as I said earlier. That may give you a little more wiggle room as far as the timeline goes, Kloudy Kloudy

Heheh, weird. I just realized that there are a lot of parts in my first character's bio that seems to mirror things mentioned in Cassandra's. I swear I wasn't copying you.
Though, I do like the way you formatted her name as a header. I might steal that, once I have a picture to add.

Impatience to start is a thing that I have to control so hard on this site xD

Yea, I was trying to give other people a little more time to put their characters up, but I think it's about time we move on. I'll put up the main board later today!

Anyone have any questions?

Early March.

Also, I should note: my intro says it's the afternoon, but by that I mean it's no later than 1PM. Early afternoon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back