Advice/Help Advice for Plot Advancement/Contributing ideas in RPs?

Arcanist

It's always darkest before the dawn
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
So, I've been roleplaying on and off for probably nearly six years now, and I do really enjoy it as a hobby. I write in my spare time too and it's something I feel really passionate about. Sometimes I feel like I don't come up with decent ideas or at least I don't come up with them quick enough when working with someone on an RP and I feel like I seem really passive and uninterested. I do take a long time to come up with things and I can be indecisive at times, but I get a lot of people can be the same. I've had negative experiences when people have taken complete control over things and so I get nervous suggesting ideas in an RP (a pretty stupid fear as I know not every idea will be agreed on and I'm totally fine on that front). I hate people being forced to carry RPs and me seeming like I'm floating along and constantly agreeing to ideas.

So, I was wondering how you guys all work to come up with ideas and how you advance plots within any roleplays you have been in. How you've worked with your partners to make pretty decent roleplays with contribution on both sides.

Sorry for the weird question in advance lmao

So, I was wondering how you guys all work to come up with ideas and how you advance plots within any roleplays you have been in. How you've worked with your partners to make pretty decent roleplays with contribution on both sides.

It sounds like to me your primary issue is a lack of confidence/assertiveness rather than inferior story ideas. You told us that you're passionate about writing and roleplaying, but you also go on to tell us you often come off as passive and uninterested. I don't imagine I need to inform you that those are opposites.

The question is, why aren't you allowing your passion to burn in sight of your partners?

Well I'm someone who lives and breathes world building but plots tend to be a little bit of a struggle for me. I find the best and most collaborative plots come from just continuously asking questions. If your partner has a story idea ask questions that help them flesh it out or explain whatever lore specific scenario might come up.

Example 1

Partner says I want to do a roleplay about soulmate

Geek asks Sweet! So what kind of soulmates? How are soulmates found/determined? Can you have more than one soulmate? etc.

Now that's just a simple example obviously and you don't have to ask all the questions at once but basically just keep asking questions. And if you have your own idea feel free to put it up with the caveat that you're willing to alter it if they have another idea.

Example 2 Partner says I want to do a roleplay about inherited superpowers. Where Character A gets powers from Person X when Person X dies. Maybe something with Character B being an ex partner / family member of Person X.

Geek OOH I love this! So is this going to be in like a comic booky world just with superheroes inheriting their powers rather than getting them from radioactive spiders or whatever? Also would it be okay if Character B was like Person X's twin and the two had some kind of soul connection that was transferred to Character A? So that the two can like read each others minds and share pain? ( like basically Character A becomes Character B's new twin?

So yeah basically just ask a lot of questions. If you're a little unsure I recommend just doing a kind of ice breaker thing in the beginning. Ask people about themselves, what they like, what they don't like, etc. lol again ask questions. Only this time about your partner. It's all about forming that personal connection and making friends.

If all else fails find someone who says in their search they like making friends / doing world building. Those people tend to be chatty cathys and can carry a conversation in the beginning until you feel more comfortable speaking up.

So, I've been roleplaying on and off for probably nearly six years now, and I do really enjoy it as a hobby. I write in my spare time too and it's something I feel really passionate about. Sometimes I feel like I don't come up with decent ideas or at least I don't come up with them quick enough when working with someone on an RP and I feel like I seem really passive and uninterested. I do take a long time to come up with things and I can be indecisive at times, but I get a lot of people can be the same. I've had negative experiences when people have taken complete control over things and so I get nervous suggesting ideas in an RP (a pretty stupid fear as I know not every idea will be agreed on and I'm totally fine on that front). I hate people being forced to carry RPs and me seeming like I'm floating along and constantly agreeing to ideas.

Sorry for the weird question in advance lmao
Well I find the main whole a GM would fall in is thinking plot advancement as merely things that affect a characters' physical presence in the world. "Dragon is coming / Everybody in school is into this new video game now/ OC has his leg cut of". What makes a good story, as with regular one-man made stories-is contrast of conflicts of characters integrated within the story, either to the point it takes center stage or that it is tightly connected with the physical presence with the story.

One shortcut to achieve this, whenever the GM creates a character-have that character have a different opinion of each of the player's characters and commit to actions based on the differing opinions.
Here is examples based on a three-man scenario.
Here is a bad example:
GM character thinks both OC1 and OC2 can come with to help slay the dragon. And offers both to come. This example offering is a committing action by GM character. Not much interest since all roleplayers will internally feel that all their characters are being treated the same, does not help the need for a roleplayer to create individual identity.
Okay example:
GM character thinks both OC1 is really jovial, and OC2 is kinda dark. And offers both to come slay a dragon. This is a little better as it tries to support individual identity but in a vain way, even if no roleplayer picks up on it. Whatever the GM character thinks isn't that important if no matter what the roleplayer was going to do the same action would be committed.

Better example:
GM character thinks both OC1 is really jovial, and OC2 is kinda dark. And offers both OC1 to come, in the middle night. GM character tries to steer away from OC2. This is better as roleplayers have this great support for identity as characters actions feel like it is progressing the plot, there is going to be conflict from this. OC2 is probably going to not want to be left behind. OC1 might want to try get OC2 to come too, or OC1 might try to push OC2 away as well.

When you put conflict at every corner for every decision and thought, it is kinda impossible to make no progress on plot or even fall into a cliche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back