Experiences A very long list of over used RP weapons that don't work.

Lappi

The Living Script
1. Katana. They are flimsy, bounce and break easily, And cannot cut anything besides flesh and bamboo.
2. 9mm pistols that have the power of a .50 cal.
3. (I'm guilty of this one) Scythes, for the rule of cool.
4. Pummels
5. Any mideval weapon in the modern era
6. Muskets in nearly every era
7. Cavalry sword
8. Your IQ.
9. Romance
10. Fucking romote controlled Lazer GPS drones.
Me personally. As someone who collects swords and makes them as a hobby. My kantanas (real ones) are my least favorite.
How the fuck can I end someone rightly without a pummel!?
But apparently one person on this website instisted that katanas can cut through anything that modern body armour is made of. Even armour meant for taking on riots.

11. Rocket Launchers: you only have like 5 shots at most, and have to manually reload between each shot. plus, unless you fire from a damned long range and aren't obsctructed by any obstacles, you are bound to catch your allies in the blast radius and they likely won't survive.

12. Assault Rifles outside of a military setting. unless you are assaulting an enemy nation, you probably won't be able to easily replace the required rounds, and most people can't use these for single shots due to how ammunition inefficient they are. they were designed for spraying and eventually hitting somebody, but they are bound to hurt your allies more than your enemies.

13. Lasers/Plasma/Beam Cannons/other heat based energy weaponry. you cauterize your enemies wounds as you make them, increasing the chance they survive and lowering your ability to kill them, plus they are completely useless against forcefields and the like in settings with similar technology. at that point, live ammunition from a 9mm pistol might do better at murder.

14. Sabers outside of a dueling environment. Sabers are only good for dueling, and pretty blade dances. while momentum does deal a lot of damage, no sane enemy is going to give you the time to complete your blade dance

15. Power Armor: you need to recharge this stuff with expensive batteries, parts are too expensive to replace, and this suit of armor is not very energy efficient

16. Vibroswords/Other High Frequency Blades: the high frequency makes the blade doing the slicing more fragile as well, making it lousy at piercing armor

17: Leather Armor/Studded Leather Armor: there is a reason most knights went with the superior Gambeson, it was cheaper, it was lighter, it was less constricting, and it provided a lot more protection

18. Bikini Armor: your midriff is exposed, as are various vital organs, depending on the variation, your upper arms and upper legs are also exposed.

19. Pantyshots: flashing your undergarments at a target is essentially the same as taunting them and requires them to be susceptible to the taunt. taunting your foe makes them more likely to target you because you deliberately go out of your way to present yourself

20. any highly restricted martial art. the reason most of them are restricted is for your own safety. for example, Crumbling Mountain is extremely self destructive to one's own body because the style literally requires you to push your body to achieve feats of raw kinetic force your body was not intended to handle, usually with great injury to yourself. because it was designed to counter the iron shirt technique of Quinggong users. essentially, you use an even bigger application of raw force to penetrate the resistance of a technique that absorbs and cushions force. Quinggong is another example because the only way to test whether or not you mastered the iron shirt technique is to take a bullet to a vital area, which if you fail, can kill you.

1. Katana. They are flimsy, bounce and break easily, And cannot cut anything besides flesh and bamboo.
2. 9mm pistols that have the power of a .50 cal.
3. (I'm guilty of this one) Scythes, for the rule of cool.
4. Pummels
5. Any mideval weapon in the modern era
6. Muskets in nearly every era
7. Cavalry sword
8. Your IQ.
9. Romance
10. Fucking romote controlled Lazer GPS drones.
Me personally. As someone who collects swords and makes them as a hobby. My kantanas (real ones) are my least favorite.
How the fuck can I end someone rightly without a pummel!?
But apparently one person on this website instisted that katanas can cut through anything that modern body armour is made of. Even armour meant for taking on riots.
The first one is the main weapon of my bloxsona so I am REALLY guilty of overpowering the weapon. Other ones not so much.

21. Most superpowers that involves an element. Let's be realistic here. Fire would burn you, Ice would freeze you, Acid could disintegrate you, etc. It would actually be useless unless you use comic logic where every power is safe.

Not a common one, but would sniper rifles be useless in most RPs bare military? You have a few shots and they shoot only one bullet that the other person would have time to react by the time you get a good vision on where they are shooting. Plus you would have to unscope to reload the weapon.

Last edited:
23. any form of enhanced physical trait, especially super strength and super speed, which kill you with the power of physics just by having them

24. Magic, Psionics, Qui or whatever the fuck you wanna call it. you are literally draining your own life energy to cast some pretty drastic effects that aren't very energy efficient, and if you aren't draining life energy from your own reserves, you are most likely draining it from the other life forms around you, causing decay and death in the local plants and animals, effectively draining and shortening the lives of other creatures to fuel your fuckery with reality. most mages, psionicists and qui masters generally have to start draining from external sources or waiting for their own reserves to replenish because they are too dependent on their spells. and the more dependent you are on your spells, the more energy you devote to each one. most works don't explore the concept of literally draining the bioelectric field from every plant and animal in the area or the consequences of doing so.

25. Hemothuergy/Hemokinesis/Hemomancy/Stigmata Bullshit. the average adult human body has between 7 and 9 pints of blood. if we average this at 8 and view how little is within a pint, we can see how useless this superpower is. you are literally risking your own longevity for short term gain. this is like using magic, not a good idea.

Not a common one, but would sniper rifles be useless in most RPs bare military? You have a few shots and they shoot only one bullet that the other person would have time to react by the time you get a good vision on where they are shooting. Plus you would have to unscope to reload the weapon.

there are multi shot capacity sniper rifles, but the point of sniper is to not be percieved by any sense and to get off that killing shot your mark didn't expect. a Sniper isn't just a long distance person, they need to be unseen, they need to be unheard, they need the resolve to make the shot, they need to overcome the guilt of cold blooded murder, they need to dehumanize their targets in their minds, and well, being a sniper isn't easy. it isn't as simple as taking cover in a crow's nest, snipers need to blend into their surroundings, they need to pass off as normal people, and they usually don't wear armor and don't carry a lot of rounds. a Sniper usually kills one primary target and tries to break away without being noticed. they are a hunter of men, they are a predator.

Really, most of the weapons in this thread depend on the setting in general and how sensible and viable it is in the setting. Most of the weapons in this thread really vary on your mileage.

there are multi shot capacity sniper rifles, but the point of sniper is to not be percieved by any sense and to get off that killing shot your mark didn't expect. a Sniper isn't just a long distance person, they need to be unseen, they need to be unheard, they need the resolve to make the shot, they need to overcome the guilt of cold blooded murder, they need to dehumanize their targets in their minds, and well, being a sniper isn't easy. it isn't as simple as taking cover in a crow's nest, snipers need to blend into their surroundings, they need to pass off as normal people, and they usually don't wear armor and don't carry a lot of rounds. a Sniper usually kills one primary target and tries to break away without being noticed. they are a hunter of men, they are a predator.
And I forgot about the sniper rifle's range.

BTW, here is one I am gulilty with other than the "katana with special powers" one.

26. Pistol that acts like a shotgun: One of my OCs not related to any fandom actually uses this. But wouldn't the recoil of the mini-shotgun be so large that his arms would be disabled after one shot?

And I forgot about the sniper rifle's range.

BTW, here is one I am gulilty with other than the "katana with special powers" one.

26. Pistol that acts like a shotgun: One of my OCs not related to any fandom actually uses this. But wouldn't the recoil of the mini-shotgun be so large that his arms would be disabled after one shot?

i had a character with a hyper dense scimitar who used the extreme weight of the blades density for high impact blunt force with an extreme knockback effect. the blade was heavy and dense, and it felt heavy and dense. maybe not mjiolnir tier, but it could definitely send most other fey flying backwards.

21. ANY kind of superpower that involves an element. Let's be realistic here. Fire would burn you, Ice would freeze you, Acid could disintegrate you, etc. It would actually be useless unless you use comic logic where every power is safe.
But what about the dozens of elemental superpowers that wouldn't harm the user? Like earth or water manipulation for example.

Exactly don't most elemental abilities assume a degree of immunity to the element your manipulating? I mean otherwise what's the point of the power in the first place? Like if you're ability is to set yourself on fire and you actually got burned doing that it's not much of ability. It's more of a really horrible death sentence.

So like I can see that elemental abilities are often overpowered ( being able to manipulate fire doesn't make you immune to EVERYTHING ) but it should at the very least make you at least partially immune to fire itself.

Or if not immune (which would be a bit op in my opinion), at least I would assume that the user has trained to manipulate his element without hurting himself (ex. Not letting the fire touch his skin).

Some of the logic you guys are giving are pretty shitty but I guess I'll add to this 'durr realizm' fest.
>mecha
I love them but they're retarded unless you build the setting around them, yes.

23. any form of enhanced physical trait, especially super strength and super speed, which kill you with the power of physics just by having them

24. Magic, Psionics, Qui or whatever the fuck you wanna call it. you are literally draining your own life energy to cast some pretty drastic effects that aren't very energy efficient, and if you aren't draining life energy from your own reserves, you are most likely draining it from the other life forms around you, causing decay and death in the local plants and animals, effectively draining and shortening the lives of other creatures to fuel your fuckery with reality. most mages, psionicists and qui masters generally have to start draining from external sources or waiting for their own reserves to replenish because they are too dependent on their spells. and the more dependent you are on your spells, the more energy you devote to each one. most works don't explore the concept of literally draining the bioelectric field from every plant and animal in the area or the consequences of doing so.

25. Hemothuergy/Hemokinesis/Hemomancy/Stigmata Bullshit. the average adult human body has between 7 and 9 pints of blood. if we average this at 8 and view how little is within a pint, we can see how useless this superpower is. you are literally risking your own longevity for short term gain. this is like using magic, not a good idea.

All your premises are born with the fact that they are done by normal human hands, which I believe would not be the case in much examples they are present in.

23) Anyone with an enhanced physical trait has always been told to have a body also adapted to resist the repercussions of said ability. Yes it is outside the most common logic but where is it logic in having super abilities to begin with?

24) As much as you depend on energies (if applicable) to deal with any of these, is not like any tool doesn't depend on certain durability/reload/resting repercussions, you could say it is a form of cooldown. Guns of any kind depend on ammo, lasers on batteries, big swords on durability of the material and stamina. The thing is that Magic is always considered either having so many limitations it can be usable and practical without being too dangerous to anyone or having great power with great risks, but every weapon has its risks. Psionics generally are related to the mind and sometimes doesn't depend on energy of any kind, but simply have limitation on how far that power can go. And draining life or anything from the surroundings, is the theme sometimes to good plots. x3

25) Characters having this sorts of skills generally have something to make out for that fact. Either the blood is returnable or they suck blood from others or they have to take care what they do to not be killed. But is a common fan-made rule that magic with high prices and related to risking your own life is far more powerful than anything, ergo, you will have a great spell in exchange for a great risk.

Consider this Universal Law if you would like: Every equation has to be balanced somehow on each side. What I mean is that unless you want a really useless or really overpowered char all this powers tend to balance themselves somehow to make up for their useless/usefulness.

21. Most superpowers that involves an element. Let's be realistic here. Fire would burn you, Ice would freeze you, Acid could disintegrate you, etc. It would actually be useless unless you use comic logic where every power is safe.

As mentioned by rae2nerdy rae2nerdy and Project Naiad Project Naiad the most common rule with [Insert Element]kinesis is the existence of the element's resistance on its user, sometimes full, sometimes limited. If not applied then sometimes people apply the next things: Either they have a subconsciously applied effect that always makes the element jump or pass through its user so it won't touch him/her or the user learns to be careful with that element and control it in ways he can avoid risks.

Ask any victim of sniper rifles if they actually knew where the shot came from? x3
Now, to make my point. Sniper rifles have many downsides, like the fact that they are heavy, quite big and slow to aim but the bullets of a sniper are never that slow to actually be avoided so easily. Training to avoid a sniper is rigorous and required knowledge of the sniper's location. WHICH btw is not as easy to learn as you make it look. Snipers tend to stay really far to avoid being detected and have ease to use their weapons, and you have to know the actual trajectory of a bullet to know where it came from. Not only is it almost impossible to catch at plain sight unless the target dies for sure, but the math involving triangulation of the actual spot is by far not quick to do unless you are smart. You would need to actually have previously analyzed the area you believe the snipers will be in and deduced by logic and behavior studies where are the best spots a sniper would be in to be able to find him/her before he shoots and even that is not 100% accurate. Not only that but real snipers learn maneuvers to avoid being found even after shooting, in case someone really manages to deduce the spot they are in. They are asked to move as fast as they can after a full success or full failure, and sometimes they even leave their equipment behind if the heavy sniper rifles are too much. And yes my friend, is quite easy to escape when you are so far away and the time required to find you is so long.

Conclusion: Any tool can be really useful if you use it wisely. Even the seemingly lamest/most useless tool can be deadly in a master's hand. Keep that in mind.

All your premises are born with the fact that they are done by normal human hands, which I believe would not be the case in much examples they are present in.

23) Anyone with an enhanced physical trait has always been told to have a body also adapted to resist the repercussions of said ability. Yes it is outside the most common logic but where is it logic in having super abilities to begin with?

24) As much as you depend on energies (if applicable) to deal with any of these, is not like any tool doesn't depend on certain durability/reload/resting repercussions, you could say it is a form of cooldown. Guns of any kind depend on ammo, lasers on batteries, big swords on durability of the material and stamina. The thing is that Magic is always considered either having so many limitations it can be usable and practical without being too dangerous to anyone or having great power with great risks, but every weapon has its risks. Psionics generally are related to the mind and sometimes doesn't depend on energy of any kind, but simply have limitation on how far that power can go. And draining life or anything from the surroundings, is the theme sometimes to good plots. x3

25) Characters having this sorts of skills generally have something to make out for that fact. Either the blood is returnable or they suck blood from others or they have to take care what they do to not be killed. But is a common fan-made rule that magic with high prices and related to risking your own life is far more powerful than anything, ergo, you will have a great spell in exchange for a great risk.

Consider this Universal Law if you would like: Every equation has to be balanced somehow on each side. What I mean is that unless you want a really useless or really overpowered char all this powers tend to balance themselves somehow to make up for their useless/usefulness.

As mentioned by rae2nerdy rae2nerdy and Project Naiad Project Naiad the most common rule with [Insert Element]kinesis is the existence of the element's resistance on its user, sometimes full, sometimes limited. If not applied then sometimes people apply the next things: Either they have a subconsciously applied effect that always makes the element jump or pass through its user so it won't touch him/her or the user learns to be careful with that element and control it in ways he can avoid risks.

Ask any victim of sniper rifles if they actually knew where the shot came from? x3
Now, to make my point. Sniper rifles have many downsides, like the fact that they are heavy, quite big and slow to aim but the bullets of a sniper are never that slow to actually be avoided so easily. Training to avoid a sniper is rigorous and required knowledge of the sniper's location. WHICH btw is not as easy to learn as you make it look. Snipers tend to stay really far to avoid being detected and have ease to use their weapons, and you have to know the actual trajectory of a bullet to know where it came from. Not only is it almost impossible to catch at plain sight unless the target dies for sure, but the math involving triangulation of the actual spot is by far not quick to do unless you are smart. You would need to actually have previously analyzed the area you believe the snipers will be in and deduced by logic and behavior studies where are the best spots a sniper would be in to be able to find him/her before he shoots and even that is not 100% accurate. Not only that but real snipers learn maneuvers to avoid being found even after shooting, in case someone really manages to deduce the spot they are in. They are asked to move as fast as they can after a full success or full failure, and sometimes they even leave their equipment behind if the heavy sniper rifles are too much. And yes my friend, is quite easy to escape when you are so far away and the time required to find you is so long.

Conclusion: Any tool can be really useful if you use it wisely. Even the seemingly lamest/most useless tool can be deadly in a master's hand. Keep that in mind.
For this, we are implying the user has not learned how to use the weapon or has a basic but not complete understanding of the weapon.

For this, we are implying the user has not learned how to use the weapon or has a basic but not complete understanding of the weapon.

Which one exactly? I like to keep discussions, not in a destructive way, rather in a constructive way. Is fun, so I would like to know to which part of my post you refer? Or is it all in all?

Which one exactly? I like to keep discussions, not in a destructive way, rather in a constructive way. Is fun, so I would like to know to which part of my post you refer? Or is it all in all?
The conclusion.

Also I probably underestimated the power of a sniper rifle if handed to the right person. In this case, this will be a realistic setting where realism applies to everything. No cartoon or video game logic in this thread, just realistic scenarios.

If we are doing this then I can safely bust the Assault rifle and rocket launcher being useless. Unless you aren't that skilled with that weapon, even the least experienced of soldiers know how to handle the ARs firing rate and recoil. Same applies with the rocket launcher as it isn't meant to be shoot multiple times in a row. It is meant to destroy fortifications or disable and/or destroy veichles.

No offense, but that's rather silly.

If we assume that the user hasn't learned how to use the weapon, then we can include practically every weapon ever. Since no weapon are really useful without the proper training.

And even if we assume that the user only has a basic knowledge of the weapon, then the vast majority of weapons included isn't half as worthless as this list makes them out to be.

Last edited:
No offense, but that's rather silly.

If we assume that the user hasn't learned how to use the weapon, then we can include practically every weapon ever. Since no weapon are really useful without the proper training.

And if we assume that the user only has a basic knowledge of the weapon, then the vast majority of weapons included isn't half as worthless as this list makes them out to be.

27) Fists - A person would easily break their fists if they punch against something too hard and without the proper technique, they won't cause much damage. Fists are virtually useless in most forms of combat and should be used as a last resort. Fists also don't have much versatility in combat as well. Hell, what about the other body parts.

28) Feet - Why would a person use their feet in combat? If you injure your feet in hand-to-hand combat, then, your mobility is limited and you can't move at all!

29) Head - Using your head in combat is pretty stupid. You got a chance of cracking your brain and you could get cerebral hematoma. Besides, don't you like guys know that you can get dementia pugilistia from too much trauma to the head? You know what else sucks.

30) ANY IMPROVISED WEAPON - I mean, jesus, improvised weapons? Improvised weapons are only good to make your character look creative and innovative in combat to further serve their character development. Otherwise, what's the point of using an unorthodox weapon? Just doesn't make sense in any scenario.

31) Any weapon at all- Fuck, guys. Why do we use weapons at all? The most overused weapon in a RP is....a weapon! I mean, all they do is further perpetuate the never-ending cycle of conflict in a RP. The best thing you can do is be a pacificist and use your mouth.

32) Charisma - Why would you use your charisma as a weapon? People will be falliable and not listen to your arguments at all! Plus, your throat is limited by how much oxygen you breath in! Are you gonna shout an army to death by convincing them of their sins and how they need to absolve them? Use your mind and work around the enemy.

33) YOUR MIND ISN'T A WEAPON - HOLY SHIT. Why use your mind? The human mind is fallible to emotion. Emotion and all those hormone things ruin tactical thinking. We humans are not trustworthy strategists to out-manuever our enemies in combat. Therefore, we have to use robots.

34) DO YOU WANT A SKYNET ON YOUR HANDS? - Fuck. Robots are untrustworthy. Have you watched Terminator? All that biased robot fear and grey goo nonsense actually has some truth in it. Go back to humans. Go back to humans. We don't want an uprising on our hands. Hold on a second, is this a forum. Why are we in a forum? Wait, I have awareness of the fourth wall. We're in a story. I know the truth! I have awakened omnipotence as my weapon. Surely-

35) OH FUCK ME, OMNIPOTENCE SUCKS BALLS - Wait a second, I'm in a setting where I'm an unexperienced user of omnipotence. HOLY SHIT, I just went all Doctor Manhattan and erased the entire universe. My mind is unable to interpret the sheer volume of equations and information needed to alter the very fabric of reality.

Fuck this shit. Weapons suck balls. Wait a second, the human body is a weapon. All humans are bad weapons. But, reality shaped them. If an omnipotent uses reality, then, reality is his weapon. Then, reality sucks! Then-

HURRRR DURRRRRR/ sarcasm over and rant over.

36) Many spy weapons. Unless you know exactly how all of it works and have a mastery of it, chances are you're going to forget something and die.
37) Any weapon that is very universe-specific. I assure you, a Jedi will not be able to operate a Spartan Laser, and a Spartan will not be able to proficiently utilize a lightsaber.
38) Any heavy armor on someone who isn't used to it. High school kids will not be able to utilize even light body armor with combat effectiveness, but you want to tell me yours is able to wear heavy-duty full-body Mandalorian armor and can still practice effective Judo?
39) Propaganda is a weapon of the mind that may be used prior to the battle effectively. It may, too be utilized mid-battle, if the fighting force is effective enough, to influence surrender. But it's too prone to overpowering, since otherwise its effects are unnoticed.

40) The power of friendship. I see this so much in high school roleplays where a a band of people hold hands and chant the most random stuff and the bad guy dissolves into ash. Come on guys you can do better

40) The power of friendship. I see this so much in high school roleplays where a a band of people hold hands and chant the most random stuff and the bad guy dissolves into ash. Come on guys you can do better

Um that's like the basic plot for pretty much 85% of all magical girl roleplays? And literally the main power of My Little Pony ( it's in the name of the show afterall - literally My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic )

I mean if you're in a realistic world without magic in it than yeah that makes no sense. But it's less the power of friendship and more why do these kids in a "real" world have the power to make bad guys dissolve into ash at all? Nevermind that they did it by holding hands.

If it's in an anime style or even an urban fantasy universe where magic has already been established as existing in the first place than I don't see why having friendship based magic is any different than any other magic. I mean as long as it fits the rest of the lore than what's the big deal?

Sort of like saying - well in Harry Potter that one kid waves a stick at that evil guy and he like defeats him by spouting out nonsense words. Or like making some weird self-sacrifice and dying but not dying. Well yeah but all that makes sense in the context of how magic works in that universe.

Well.. it's a sniper.
Sniper's are intended to kill a target in one shot. They shouldn't be able to see the shot coming unless you're bad at your job.

Granted, RP snipers.. aren't fun. They're "those guys" that just go around, killing people in near instants, while they would be unique against NPCs and roleplays where assassinating characters is perfectly fine.

They're also edgelords tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back