• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Vast Dungeon (Pathfinder)

Would you rather have people level up based on experience or DM given levels?

• Everyone levels up at the same rate with DM given levels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everyone may level differently with experience awarded.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As your companion tags along behind, there are many shadows that seem much too dark in the long, featureless hewn stone corridor. Detect magic senses a lingering divination presence on all of you, but other than that the twenty foot wide corridor has many split paths, some going down, and all of them as dark as a moonless night.

As the first split comes into view, there is a tall figure standing in black spiked full plate underneath a magically lit chandelier. He stands there with a light metal shield of similar design in one hand and bastard sword pointing at the ground. He does not speak as you approach, nor does he shift, though a heavy breathing noise comes from his helmet and mist forms around his feet.

Athaclenna comes up short of the armored figure and plants the butt of her glaive in the ground. "Greetings, neighbor. We are travelers passing through, after having been trapped here. We bear you no ill will, and wish only to continue on our journey. Would you be willing to share with us what you know about the area we are in?"

As she talks, she focuses her attention and uses her Detect Evil on the armored figure.

Renna keeps the armored form of the paladin between her and the unknown figure, and does her best to keep watch to the rear so no one comes up while everyone is focused to the front.

She is quite curious to see what kind of response that Athaclenna gets.

0 - Light, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Purify Food And Drink

1 - Bless, Protection From Evil, Shield of Faith, Cure Light Wounds x2

2 - Aid, Hold Person, Cure Moderate Wounds

Fire Bolt x8

Channel Energy x8

[dice]21447[/dice]

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching up, Fordrin lets out a long breath and squints as he sizes up the black figure in spiked full plate. "Tha spikes are a good touch," he comments as he steps beside Athaclenna and unslings his waraxe in preparation for a possible fight. "Makes ye look all menacin' like. Iffin ye be o' no ill will, then there'll be no tiffs ta come."

Keep his gaze to the walls, Gerwin seemed suspicious of everything that surrounded him, including his two new companions. While the dwarf babbled on in an almost incomprehensible accent, Gerwin whipped around and met the Dwarf's eyes.

"You'd best silence yourself, Dwarf. Any sort of aberration could stalk these halls and we don't need you gibbering like a fat monkey and giving out position away." He barked suddenly and quite sternly at the Dwarf. Returning forward, Gerwin continued marching onward with his steady pace despite what the dwarf would respond with.

As the group came upon the towering figure in spiked armor, he slung the crossbow on his shoulder and drew his double-barrel pistol. He glanced at Athaclenna and admired her courage as she fearlessly approached the figure. He couldn't help but admire the Dwarf's courage as well, though he kept to the shadows and began to walk a large circle around the figure, slowly flanking whatever awaited them.

After hearing Gerwin's rather short retort, Fordrin squints at Gerwin as he moves around and now knows who he likes least among his current companions. "Ye best show some respect, pup. Iffin there be aberrations about we'd've run 'cross 'em already. An' iffin ye wants ta lead our li'l band, then lead. Do nae just bark orders an' expect 'em ta be followed. An' I be nae a fat monkey. I be o' solid dwarven stock!"

You do not get an evil reading.

"I wish no I'll will among my targets." The armored figure responds. "With the lessening amount of known creatures in this place, I have been sent as a messenger to your group."

He draws his blade to his shoulder. "I represent the Black Knights, a faction within these walls. We hunt those who are challenging to test our skills in battle, and believe in honorable combat. You will not find a group as individually powerful or honor bound as us. We have chosen you and your group as a potential target. We will be watching your progress, and sending ourselves against you. We will not kill you, though after the battle you may find yourselves at the mercy of whatever else may walk these halls. At this moment I am not permitted to share information of the dungeon itself, but I can give you one warning. The rest would be one of the heads to talk to."

"As a messenger, we will not fight this time. However, next meet do prepare for what is to come." With that he begins walking down the righthand corridor. Before he leaves, he looks to Gerwin. "If those are indeed gunpowder capable, use caution. Many things here are attracted to such noise."

Listening intently to the Knight as he spoke, Gerwin couldn't help but give a disgusted sigh at the promise of frequent invasion from supposed Black Knights. He saw this as little more than a nuisance, especially since the battles would never be to the death. If the Black Knights attacked him however, Gerwin wouldn't be so merciful.

As the Knight took his leave, Gerwin kept his eyes locked on the lumbering figure. Ushering a small smile as the warning about his weapons was given, Gerwin aims the pistol at the Knight and pretends to fire it at him, making a soft boom sound before holstering the weapon.

"Then I'll be sure to have plenty of ammunition."

Athaclenna frowns when the black knight tells them that their next encounter will be decided by force of arms. In a cold voice, she says, "Thank you for the advice. Now, let me give you a word of warning. If your order makes the mistake of drawing steel against us, we will use any and all means at our disposal to be victorious, and that may end up with casualties on your side. I am a honorable and lawful warrior, but do not let that be confused with weakness or any lack of resolve. If you change your mind about fighting us, we would welcome allies in our quest. The decision is yours to make."

When Athaclenna throws down the virtual gauntlet of challenge, Renna places her hand on the hilt of her sword and gives the knight a unfriendly look. "You had best listen to the elf. I have a feeling she is not kidding."

Once the knight has left the area, Renna takes a deep breath. "I certainly hope we can back up those strong words when the time comes."

Fire Bolt x8

Channel Energy x8

Athaclenna gives Renna a gentle smile. "I am confident that our path is true, and our divine patrons will grant us the tools needed to continue our noble work. Be ever vigilant, though. Our next encounter may not be so I pleasant."

Fordrin watches the black knight walk away and says, "They may try, but I be feelin' tha' they jest bit off more steel than they can chew. I gots ta figure out how he does tha misty stuff at his feet, though. Nice effect."

He turns to the rest of the group and asks, "So which way now?"

Athaclenna looks around before answering, "We go onwards. Renna, please continue to map our progress, and keep our light going. I want to save our torches and lamp oil for as long as possible."

(Please make more perception checks and state marching order, which can be discussed in OOC.)

Continuing forward, the hallway gets smaller, now only ten feet across. Ten mintues of rats scurrying and a long turnless walk leads to a set of double wooden doors, marked with a fiery rune and a keyhole in the center of the right door. A torch lay unlit and halfway burnt outside, and a smell of burnt flesh emanates from the room.

Moving to the front, Fordrin states, "I'll be leadin' tha way from here on. I can see through tha dark an' I be tha most protected."

[dice]21581[/dice]

Athaclenna nods. "Very well. I will be right with you, and can strike with my glaive over your head. Renna, your healing powers can work to keep us both on our feet, and Gerwin, your pistols and crossbow can engage from a distance. Let us be on our way."

As the group stops at the door, Renna takes a few moments to jot down the details of the area on her map.

"A sound tactic." Gerwin says simply as he took up behind his friend Athaclenna and scanned the dark hallways with his eyes. Keeping his pistol at the ready, he listened carefully for anything that may be sneaking up on them. However upon reaching the door, the Inquisitor halted and immediately used Detect Magic on the door, that fire emblem only made him fear a trap was set ahead of time.

[dice]21589[/dice]

With her mapping done, Renna turns her attention to the door. "Anyone any good at locks and traps?"

Fire Bolt x8

Channel Energy x8

The elf shakes her head. "That is not in my skill set. Gerwin, what about you? Can you tell anything about the door and it's lock?"

Fordrin looks closely around the door and says, "Most trappers jest trap tha lock on a door. No one e'er thinks ta trap tha hinges, though. Mayhap I have a tool ta loosen 'em in me pack. My main concern be tha' rune. Iffin' it be magical, then poppin' tha hinges may set it off."

Renna says, "Well, let's at least check to see if it is magic or poisoned. Detect Poison. Detect Magic."

Fire Bolt x8

Channel Energy x8

Shaking his head, Gerwin merely watched the door and examined it for a good few minutes.

"No... Can't say I do. I could detect if this was the work of Demons or other servants of the abyss." He said with a shrug.

Athaclenna gives the group a look. "Well, that door bars our path. One way or another, we have to risk opening it. Stand back and I will open it. Renna, just be prepared with your healing magic to come to my aid. Unless someone has a good reason not to, I'll take the hit."

She waits to give someone a chance to speak up, but if no one does, Athaclenna strides up to the door and tries the handle. If it is not locked, she will pull it open.

Renna nods at the other woman. "Right. I'll be right back here with a healing spell ready to go if it turns out that there is some kind of ward or trap on the door."

She keeps herself back at least twenty feet, out of range of a potential Fireball spell, but close enough to affect everyone with my Channel Energy power.

Fire Bolt x8

Channel Energy x8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back