• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Vast Dungeon (Pathfinder)

Would you rather have people level up based on experience or DM given levels?

• Everyone levels up at the same rate with DM given levels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everyone may level differently with experience awarded.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ten Percent Milk

And things went from Corgi to Pug very fast...
As you all awaken to the sound of a crackling fire, the sky above you is pitch black. An old robed man coughs next to a lit bonfire, which emits little heat while lighting an area larger than usual. Next to the robed figure is a backpack and scroll, along with a tome, each looking as normal as the last.

The fire crackles, and the old man rocks back and forth, not yet realizing your wakened state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Athaclenna cracks her eyes as she carefully looks around. Instinctively, she mutters a silent prayer to Iomedae as she uses her detect evil power on the old man by he fire. Assuming that he is not evil, the paladin sits up. A human and a dwarf lie next to the fire. Who are these people, and what brings us all together? "Good sir, may I ask who you are and what are we doing here?"

You do not get an evil reading on the old figure.

He turns to you, smiling through lost teeth and stubby beard hairs. "You three are fortunate I found you. You must have not heard the call as strongly as me, or my late compatriots. My name... is lost... I have called myself many things since the time I was alone. Let the rest awake for me to continue my-" He coughs deeply and loudly, phlegm spurting onto the fire. "my introduction. It is long winded and I have little energy left to bring to everyone."

With that he rubs his hands together and holds them to the fire, which is slowly dimming.

Athaclenna looks puzzled. "The call? What call is that? Oh, you said that you wish to wait for the others to wake." She looks closely at the man. "Are you ok? I might be able to help you if not."

Renna rubs the sleep from her eyes and looks around. "What is going on? Where am I? Who are you?" Her attention goes to the snoring dwarf with a smile. "Fordrin! You old lug! Wake up!" She is glad to see her old friend. His axe has kept her safe on more than one occasion.

0 - Light, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Purify Food And Drink

1 - Bless, Protection From Evil, Shield of Faith, Cute Light Wounds x2

2 - Aid, Hold Person, Cure Moderate Wounds

Athaclenna looks across the fire at the human woman that is just waking up. In a soft voice, she says, "Well met, neighbor. I am Athaclenna, a warrior in the service of Iomedae. As to the rest of your questions, or host here has told me that he will give us our answers when all of our number have roused themselves. What is your name?"

"I am Renna Taeger, a healer and cleric of Sarenrae. This fuzzy lump is my friend Fordrin Axebeard, a fighter and long time friend of mine. Pleased to meet you." Iomedae is a honorable goddess; if this elf is a paladin of hers, she will be a formidable ally in our journeys.

Athaclenna gives Renna a nod. "Well met, Renna Taeger. Sarenrae is a serviceable goddess to follow, and being a healer is a noble calling to have. Something tells me that we will be traveling together, and working along side one another as we go. Now I just need to find my own companion."

Amidst the glow of the fire, a figure stirs. Shrouded in a dark cloak and a weathered tricorn hat, the figure's hand tenes around the grip of a pistol on his belt. The cold dirt floor of the subterranean dungeon offered nothing but a harbor for nightmares, of which the figure seemed to be groaning in his slumber from. With a sharp gasp, the figure rose, his hat falling from his head exposing a sharp face, handlebar mustache, matted hair, and stern glare.

"What witchery..." His voice said, his hoarse words barely escaping his dried throat. His eyes turned to the others seemingly trapped in this damnable place.. Wherever this place was. Being a cautious and borderline paranoid individual, Gerwin drew his pistol from his sitting position and aimed it at the Old man addressing the others around the source of light and warmth. A quick look at the man showed he was not Evil, nor an Aberration and tis was content enough for Gerwin to holster his pistol and climb to his feet, collecting his gear in silence as the others spoke.

Gerwin turned to the others and saw two strangers, a swarthy woman who seemed too chipper for one who was mysteriously cast into this sunken ruin of depravity. The other was a dwarf, the swarthy female claiming him to be her companion, though his body was still and unresponsive. The third was a sight for sore eyes, his own compatriot: Athaclenna. Even a somber and brooding man like Gerwin couldn't help but spark a smile upon seeing her, she was one of the few he'd met along his travels that he would dare call a friend- even if she did preach an awful much about her beloved Goddess.

"Athaclenna... It seems fate would have us by each other's side." Gerwin said, stepping into the light of the fire. He turned to nod at the swarthy stranger and her dwarf friend. "I am Gerwin Pake, Black Powder Inquisitor." He said bluntly before looking to the wizened old man. "And you- old timer... You've but a moment to explain how and why we are here before I declare you responsible."

Visible relief crosses the face of the elf at the sight of Gerwin. "Ah, there you are! I was beginning to worry about you. After all, without me being along side you, who would save your soul?" She smiles at her friend. Looking at the old man, Athaclenna once more becomes serious. "Gerwin does have a point, neighbor. While you do not have the sink of evil about you, I do want some answers as to where we are and how we got here."

Renna jumps a bit as the gunslinger rises, and she really wishes that Fordrin would stop snoring and get up and join her. The elf is clearly a paladin, and as such can be trusted, but what about the man? She wouldn't be traveling with him if he were evil, you dummy. She turns her attention to the old man, waiting for the answers to the slew of questions bubbling in her mind.

Fordrin stirs a bit. His armor clacks as he rolls.

"Melt away, Renna. It ain't e'en dawn yet," his gravelly voice muttered. "An' get yiur niffin tail outta me room!"

Suddenly his eyes pop open as he realizes that he wasn't in the Barren Barrel tavern and inn's room but in a chamber with three other people besides Renna.

"What the nif is goin' on here?!"

The old man chuckles at the dwarf. "Be still brave soul. My story will be short and sweet, unlike the gifts I offer."

"There is much to say, and little time, so listen closely. I am not the one who brought you here, neither am I the one that will lead you out. There is no way out of this forsaken land, besides going down. This place's name is whatever you call it, though there are many-" He coughs deeply, "parts to it. I can lead you in the direction of one of them, and you will have to decide as a group where to go."

"You were most likely brought here through the work of the immense font of power in the depths of the dungeon. It's motives are unknown to me, but with each step down towards it the bottom I felt a bit of it flowing through me. Though I can no longer reach it, that is why you are here. You can not reach it yet, but grow stronger and you may yet do what my friends and I could not."

"Take a moment to process this, and I will continue."

He pokes the still dimming fire with his staff, keeping his eyes on all of you.

Fordrin rolls up into a sitting position so he can look at the old man better.

"Alright, enough of this hot pile of slag. I'll ask tha first question in me mind. How long has ye been in this niffin' place?" Fordrin inquired. Glaring a little at Renna for having to curb his normal propensity for swearing like a soldier. He still felt her head slap on the back of his helmet from the last time he slipped and used a very strong swear word.

Athaclenna frowns at he revelation that they were brought here by some unknown power. I do not like some other force having power over me besides my goddess. "For what purpose were we taken and placed here? Is it to free this power from some imprisonment? What is this power?"

As the old man spoke, Gerwin couldn't help but furrow his brow and place his hand on the pistol grip of his firearm. Like a rancher standing off to bandits, he was ready to draw and open fire, the news obviously didn't strike well with the Inquisitor.

"It's the work of Witchcraft! Some unnamable power just transports us here for nothing but it's own cruel amusement." He said with an angry growl, as he looked around the chamber that they were in. "Whatever this power wants or needs I say is irrelevant. It wants our audience, I say we give it our audience with a hail of gunfire and sword strokes."

[dice]21336[/dice]

"Lady Athaclenna may be right in that this 'power' may be in need of our help. Let us not be too hasty in making judgements." Renna looks concerned as she glances around.

"As I have said, the power is not mine nor do I pretend to know about it. My time here has been far too long, over a countless time. I am old and dying. My life force is currently represented by this fire. I-" *cough* "can give you little. The only explanation I can give is I had received a letter before my departure to here. An invitation. It seems this was not the course of action this time around."

He hobbles over to his bag, supporting himself only with a small knob of wooden stick. "These things may help you in your journey, weather you choose to try and find the power, or another means out."

He sets the pack, as well as an old book, a gleaming red stone, a small statue with glowing runes, and a large paper on the floor in front of you.

"These are my late companion's possessions. I do not wish to part with all of them, but you may have two. That is all I will allow.

"The pack is a simple larger than the outside holding sack, though whatever you reach for will be on top when needed. Can't hold too much."

"The book will detail the owner's enemy encounters. It will give the generic outline of whatever enemy is happened upon, but only after it's defeat."

"The stone lights fires like these." He motions to the dwindling flames by all of you. "Though not tied to life force, they are repelling to all those who would wish harm on you. A safe area will be created. It allows eight hours of use before needing to recharge for twice as long."

"The statue allows fast transport through the way of way-shrines through this nameless place. Once activated, a group can travel instantly to another activated shrine, though they are far and few between."

"The paper is a map. It allows you to see where you have been, though not where you are. It will only reveal terrain, not areas of interest. It is blank for any new owner, though will fill in time."

"Lastly, I offer my possession. I have a secluded house hidden away, that I will return to for my final days if you are not for staying there yourselves. It has a garden for a week's worth of food, fresh water, and plenty of storage space and room for you all."

"Choose among yourselves, I will give the two choices to you after you have made the decision."

The elf warrior frowns at the old man's words. Dying. Nothing to be done but make his last hours more comfortable. "I will take you at your word, old one." She looks to her companions both old and new. "It would seem that we are going to need to work together in order to get out of this place. If I were to make a choice for what two objects to take, I would say the statute and the stone fire maker. A map is good, but we can make our own record of our time here, and being able to rest the night without molestation will be a blessing to not have to worry about wearing armor at night, and being able to travel quickly between points with the statute could come in handy. What say you all?"

Turning towards the group, Fordrin states, "Me vote goes towards tha stone, fer a safe place to rest in a niffin' place like this would be well and good. Tha other thing I think would be useful is tha' map paper thingy. E'en though it canna show us where we be goin', iffin we be able ta see where we've been we may e'en be able ta find hidden paths we missed on tha first go. Tha pack, simply put, cannae hold ta much, we may find more than it can hold an' lose all when it bursts. Tha book is no use until after we beat down the niffin' uglies in here, then we would already know how ta beat it agin. Poppin' round 'twixt shrines makes me stomach twitch. Finally, we be travelers an' a house would only be a burden. Also, I would nae wanna take a man's home from him. Would nae feel right. Now with that all sed, I will nae be entertainin' tha idea o' knockin' out tha ol' coot an takin' all o' his stuff. Anyone who suggests tha' slag fer brains action will feel tha blunt side o' me axe!"

"What about this invitation you spoke of?" Renna leans forward with interest. "As for the two items, I agree that the stone of safe sleeping sounds good, and we can discuss the second."

Athaclenna smiles slightly at the dwarf. "You are a bit gruff, but well spoken. I still feel that while the map can be useful, another choice could be better. What say you, Gerwin? So far, it seems that we are leaning towards accepting the stone as one of the two objects, but the second is still in question."

Renna looks about. "I have another question. How are we set for food? I can make water, but I cannot yet make anything to eat. I have rations that can last two weeks that can be stretched out a bit."

"I have some simple adventures faire, enough to last a few weeks, also. While I agree with our short friend that it would be in bad taste to make a claim on the home of our host, depending on what there is down here to eat, we may need that food, until such time as Renna is able to create more."

Fordrin says, "I be carrying 10 days wort' o' solid and hearty dwarven rations. One skin o' water, an' one skin o' Dwarven Stout. O' course I ha' lived on all manner o' meats durin' me survival trainin'."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back