• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Hexblood Bandit

Your typical witch burdened by college debt.
Swan Van Gogh Swan Van Gogh

Nothing is visible to you, not even yourself. Your voice cannot traverse the darkness and only silence answers you.

Just as the panic sets in, a fluttering of wings is heard, and you see a scaleless dragon rapidly approaching your location. With every beat of its powerful wings stars appear and paint the sky behind it. It harmlessly soars just above you and continues on to a now visible lake. The dragon dives into the waters and a red haze erupts from the lake. Crack!

The raucous cracking sound signals the arrival of a new day in the Woeful Toad Inn. Sunlight peeks through the bottom of the linen curtains, and over the scuffed wooden floorboards. A small nightstand with a worn down candle is placed near the surprisingly comfortable bed Trish and Pips are on. The dog sits alert at the sounds of arguing below.

Crack! Those rowdy adventurers must be going at it again over their recently failed quest, hopefully Mrs. Lathalas will straighten them out.

Last edited:
Trish snapped awake, she'd done it again, that being grabbed the coat in the middle of the night. She hadn't even remembered doing so, she had to get this mess straightened out. Who thought a simple, white coat would cause such odd things? She grumbled softly hearing, the commotion downstairs, blearily gazing at Pips. No doubt someone was going to leave the Inn with a black eye. She sat up, carefully shrugging off the coat, cautiously placing it amongst her things. She was thankful for Mrs. Lathalas' aid, she would've been sleeping in the streets if not for her. That and Pips was great at keeping rowdy guests at bay. even if he'd end up licking them raw as an attack.

The dog sat at the door, letting out an anxious, "Huruff", prancing anxiously at the door. Occasionally glancing up at Trish for aid in his quest to rid the inn of the adventurers.

"Alright, alright," Trish said finishing up with her brown locks of unruly hair, before opening the door, "Go get them Pip." After nearly being trampled by the mutt, she went back to getting dressed. The sounds of barking and a few choice words towards Mrs. Lathalas, about the so-called "aggressive" beast that had been unleashed upon them. Pip soon walked back triumphantly, with a jacket from one of the adventurers. Trish had just finished and went to grab the jacket.

Pip backed up, leaning his head away, letting a muffled, "Hrrr..." as if to say it was his. No matter how much Trish pleaded with him, he wouldn't budge finally laying on it. Sneezing as he glanced back at her, defiantly.

Trish sighed, "Okay you can have it, now let's go, boy." She opened the door, letting the mutt prance behind her proud of his new prize. She walked over to the older elven woman, "They seem to have left, considering Pips' trophy." She gestured to the dog, who was now begging for a snack from Vanauth. The jacket still in the dog's now slightly drooling mouth. Trish sighed, thinking back to the dream she had the night before, before quickly letting it slide. Chalking it up to her white coat, she glanced over at Mrs. Lathalus, offering to help with breakfast today.

“Thank you dear, and thank you Mr. Pips for chasing that rabble away. I swear they act like children whenever things do not go their way. Only that Tom fellow has a good head on his shoulders.” Mrs. Lathalas looks certainly graceful in her old age, with a willowy figure, silvery hair fashioned into a nice braid, and clear eyes showing years of wisdom. Despite her earlier mutterings about troublesome guests, Mrs. Lathalas smiles warmly at the sight of Vanuath slipping Pips bits of jerky.

With an extra set of hands joining the innkeeper and her single barmaid Tilda, breakfast is quickly served. Breakfast and dinner are the only meals prepared at the Woeful Toad Inn, and Mrs. Lathalas is an excellent cook. Fortunately for Trisha , the other residents of The Woeful Toad Inn should not be down for some time. Only the Heartstone Warriors are early risers, and Pips already drove them out. After setting himself up with a simple bowl of porridge, Vanuath sits down at a table near Trish. “So, Trish, what do you have planned for today? Visit the marketplace? See some of the sights around town?” The elf bore a strong resemblance to his mother, although years as a huntsman hardened his looks somewhat. Between spoonfuls of porridge Vanuath continues, “What do you say to joining me on a hunt later this afternoon? I am sure Pips could catch a couple of rabbits.”

Last edited:
Pips perked up at the mention of his name, blinking his dark brown eyes at Vanauth then Trish. Before slowly placing his head down, gnawing on a piece of harder jerky. Letting out occasional sniffs, whilst watching the group.

Trish nodded, "Yeah that would be great." She offered a small smile to Vanuath, before sitting down with her bowl of grits and jerky. Placing a bowl of eggs, porridge, and leftover meat from last night's dinner down Pips. The dog eagerly licking the bowl clean, before going back to his jacket. Trish's mind went to the dream the night before, was it related to her coat? Normally she'd blackout after wearing the coat, but she didn't remember even grabbing it last night. Was her final return to the ocean happening faster, because of the presence of the coat? Maybe that is why the Institute hid it from her? She shook the thought away, after hearing Tilda's voice. She glanced up letting out a small, "Hmm?"

"Do you want seconds love?"

"Oh, no I'm still eating what's on my plate, thank you for asking, however." She resumed eating her food, smiling softly to counter Tilda's sympathetic look. It was an odd feeling, to have someone worry over her. She'd been watched over constantly as far she could remember, but to have genuine, less invasive worry felt nice in a way. She wasn't constantly guarded, but she wasn't looked at with indifference. Maybe this was one of the things being human was about.

“MORNING FOLKS!” roared the new arrival, then swaggered down from the staircase, and grinned widely at everyone. He was a dwarf dressed in clerical garb of Moradin’s devout, a blacksmith’s hammer hangs in the loop of his belt, and iron beads with etched runes are carefully clipped to his beard. His two companions, both female, groan at their priest’s lack of decorum. Mrs. Lathalas apparently decided her presence was needed in the kitchen, because she quickly made herself scarce. Upon seeing Vanuath and Trish, the dwarf bellows something out in dwarvish and makes his way over to the table.

“Vanny! That advice you gave me worked like a charm, didn’t even need to pull out old Fitz here,” the priest said, gesturing to his hammer. “Saved me from a mighty headache Vanny did, from that bulette creature. Don’t know how I would’ve brought the fearsome brute down on my lonesome. Ahem, with just Eldeth and Whurdred.” Several times Vanuath tried to interject into the dwarf’s ramble, and several times the dwarf bulldozed over those attempts. Only when Tilda brought him a large mug of mead did the priest settle down from talking everyone’s ears off.

With a heavy sigh Vanuath introduces Trish to the dwarves, “Trish, this is Dain of Clan Brawnanvil, Cleric of Moradin, Forge Keeper from the Halls of Bhag Daruhl, and our resident dwarf ambassador. Accompanying him are Sister Eldeth and Sister Whurdred from the Gentiana Order. Dain should be staying at the Autumngrove Embassy, however the inn ‘caught his eye’ a few nights ago. Now I am sorry to leave right after greetings, but I must be on my way to work. Trish, meet me at the gates when the bell strikes three.” Waving goodbye Vanuath collects his equipment and quickly leaves the inn.

The breakfast rush has finally arrived at the Woeful Toad inn, and Dain seems satisfied with food and drink of his own.

Trish offered a small smile, "Pleased to meet you all." She watched Vanuath leave just quickly as they were introduced. Even Pips noticed the elf's sudden departure, from the inn, letting a small whine escape him, as he sat next to Trish begging for anything left.

"You've had your fill, Pips, don't think I'll play into your charms." She offered a small pat on his head, in consolation for his failed attempt. She had finished her meal and went to put her dishes away, getting stopped by Tilda halfway there and getting the dishes confiscated. Now, left with little more than to explore the town she said her goodbyes and went on her way. Pips following close behind. The town was surprisingly quiet for a midmorning weekday. Not that it was bad, it was nice to have some quiet after the rude awakening she received from the commotion downstairs. Now bored, she muttered, "Maybe we should find Vanauth." The clock had just rung. signaling the end of the midmorning calm. She wandered aimlessly, as the market became busier. She then noticed the two women from the Tavern. Sister Eldeth and Sister Whurdered if she remembered correctly, she called out to them, "Wait up." She rushed over to them, Pips following behind.

"I hope the inn and Dain are treating you well." Trish now felt an incredible awkwardness form around her, didn't help that she only got short, curt replies from them. She cleared her throat, "Well is there anything I can do to help... Clean, give you directions to a few stores to stock up, anything?"

"We will do fine, thank you, Trish is it?" Sister Eldeth said, her lilting tones held an air of coldness to it.

"Yes, that's me." She allowed them to walk away, "I'll see you two around... Maybe? Maybe not." She scoffed, the bell then struck three.

"Baff... Hurrff." Pips jumped up, barking excitedly at the clock. His tail wagging as he pranced itching to go.

"Okay, come on Pips." Trish said running to the gates, with Pips tailing behind. The dog's now out tongue leaving a mess of drool behind them. Once they reached Vanauth, Trish greeted him with a usual pat on the back. "I'm here, so is Pips, what's going on?" Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, she looked up at the gates before them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back