• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom A Painfully Mundane, Melancholy and Banal Pokemon RP

Jean Otus

Would-Be Prince
On a day like any other, in a suburban town like any other, in the kitchen of an unremarkable diner, a bedraggled waiter stood over a sink of hot water and dirty dishes. On the counter next to him sat his Poliwhirl, waiting with tired eyes for his partner to start washing again. It was late, and neither of them wanted to be there. The waiter took up the sponge again and scrubbed at the dish under the soapy water. When it reached a satisfactory state of cleanliness he held it up out of the sink, where then the Poliwhirl would blast the dish with a jet of water, rinsing it clean. The dish was then transferred to the drying rack and the next dirty plate was picked up. The silence hung like a shroud over the pair as they labored over the mind-numbing work. The waiter finally broke the tension, airing a grievance to his dear partner that he had long held on to.

"Have you ever noticed that the news is always full of these random incredible events that ultimately don't affect us? Time and again the papers rave about some prodigy trainer who defeated some criminal syndicate and earned a championship title within their first year of training. I'm gonna be honest with you buddy, I'm a bit sick of it." The Poliwhirl blinked, somewhat confused, but also reassuring to its partner, his distress apparent as he rambled on. "Most of us never have an adventure like that. We start training when we're kids, we hang around the towns where we live with the pokemon we've caught, maybe earn a few gym badges, then hit a roadblock. Since most of us are normal we don't have some great triumph where we gain the favor of some incredible pokemon or trainer that lets us overcome our trial, we have to turn back, come home, and find a real job. Not all of us are champions, not all of us are good enough for competitive battling." The waiter was getting more heated, scrubbing with more vigor at the plate under the water. "We have to think about our futures or our families, not all of us can be the town's pride and joy!" With that outburst, the waiter's hand slipped, and the edge of the plate struck the side of the metal sink, chipping off a substantial chunk. He roared in exasperation, leaning hard against the sink. He panted into the suds, trying to hold back sobs. Nothing had gone right today, or that week, or for a long time really, and life was really starting to wear on him.

After a minute that felt like an hour, the waiter felt the small, soft hand of his pokemon on his shoulder. It looked at him with its big, sympathetic eyes, a small source of caring in the hard times. With that reassurance from his partner, he was able to collect himself, mostly. Wiping his face on his apron he resumed his work in silence. Once the pair had finished the cleaning they locked the doors to the diner and walked home through the cool night. In a shabby apartment complex across town, they collected their mail from the front desk. It was mostly bills and junk, though there was a small piece of color tucked between the plain business envelopes. They then adjourned to their room, a small studio dominated by a bed, a desk, and a small couch. The mail was set down with the other bills on the desk, where the money would come from to pay them he had no idea. A customer had beat him in a pokemon battle today, and with that took all of his tips for the day. The two hastily got ready for bed, longing for a reprieve from their dissatisfying existence. The friendship they shared was the only comfort the pair had in the indifferent world. They both silently dreaded the morning to come, when work would start again.

This is a little story idea that came to me while I was working a fairly soul-crushing job in my local grocery store. The work was so mind-numbing I had to keep myself going by creating this concept that perhaps in the fantastical world of Pokemon, there were also people who worked dead-end jobs to get by, dreading going to work every day, and dealing with the drama of having more successful people around them at all times. The goal here would be to have our little group of malcontents live their lives with their pokemon partners in this nondescript town, dealing with the struggles of everyday life while also dealing with drama coming from their past. Maybe, in the end, they'll be friends, though making friends can be hard too.

I absolutely love this idea and most definitely love to join this roleplay if you don’t mind! Also I applaud you for your creativity! I mean it would be wonderful just to dive into the lives of normal people in the Pokemon world lol

I ADORE this idea, but unfortunately I'm pretty swamped atm. It seems I have bit off more than I can chew in joining every RP that appealed to me xD.

I ADORE this idea, but unfortunately I'm pretty swamped atm. It seems I have bit off more than I can chew in joining every RP that appealed to me xD.
Let me know if your schedule clears up! Thanks for expressing interest.

If this is still in the works I'm definitely interested. I was working on a fan fic a while back with a similar concept in mind, and would like to try my mc in this if possible.

If this is still in the works I'm definitely interested. I was working on a fan fic a while back with a similar concept in mind, and would like to try my mc in this if possible.
Please do, I'll review them once you post your sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back