• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A Murder at the Inn

Lady Sabine

Howdy y'all~ I've been refining this idea for a few weeks now, but it's not set in stone. This is definitely one of those threads where you should feel free to speak up and give suggestions.

So, the aforementioned inn where this all takes place is known as the Argent Willow. For generations, it's been run by a family of witches, primarily due to its location. Just half a league down the road is an ancient circle of stones which provides an easy crossing point between the mortal and Fae realms, making the Argent Willow a favorite stopping point for men and immortals alike. It's right next to the sleepy little village of Stonebridge, which, as its name suggests, has an ancient stone bridge which is one of the few reliable crossings over the river for two days' ride either way. It also lies along the Kingsroad, one of the few reliable roads running so far north, and has no other settlements worth noting within a day's ride, isolated in the misty Silvershroud woods.

Four nights ago, the innkeeper was murdered.

Our RP will focus on the events taking place the evening & night after her funeral, and possibly later as well. What will those events be? Glad you asked. This depends a lot on the sort of characters we get.

Just to make things simple, I'll play the innkeeper's oldest daughter who has taken her place. I'll also probably take secondary characters as necessary. There are no other characters that are absolutely needed. However, there is a pretty obvious one that would be nice to have.

The murderer.

Who they are, why they did it, and why they're at the inn now are all up to the person who plays him(or her). Maybe a werewolf who lost control of their actions? Possibly a Fae fugitive seen without their glamour? A witch-hunter trying to make a name?

But the possibilities don't end with the murderer. The new innkeeper might have younger siblings. The Seelie and Unseelie courts of Fae both might find it necessary to send emissaries, either for protection or investigation. Maybe the human king or lord sent someone as well. Maybe the church wants a priest to investigate claims of witchcraft. Maybe there's a local villager trying to give the inn some business and help out to pay respects. Perhaps there's a travelling minstrel passing through. The possibilities are almost endless! If you can find a reason to put your character in the inn, I'll allow it. And if you get bored of that character, they can leave in the morning and be replaced by a new guest.

Now, just a few guidelines.

• Please don't post just to say you're interested. At the very least, introduce yourself. Tell me what kind of character you'd like to play, ask a question, give some feedback- honestly, just contribute in some way. I can't do much with "interested".
  • You absolutely must discuss your character with me. We'll make sure they play an active role in the plot and aren't out of place. I may ask you for a writing sample, in particular if multiple people request the murderer character.
  • Please don't go more than one day in a row without posting. I might modify this rule if enough people request, so if this bothers you speak up. Majority rules.
  • One paragraph per character. A paragraph means more than two lines. If you know your grammar and spelling aren't great, run it through spell-check. Third person, past tense. I'm not going to be harsh about this, but show me that you care at least a little.
  • Related to the second rule, any and all fantasy elements must be cleared with me. I don't want one person playing a werewolf who only transforms with the moon and becomes a mindless beast while another can transform at will and maintains their sanity. You're more than welcome to play a fantasy creature, we just need to make sure that there aren't any contradictions.
  • Be nice. Don't whine. Generally be a decent person, follow the site rules, all of that jazz. Pretty much, I'd like the OoC to be a friendly, drama-free zone... that way the IC can be dramatic and dark and bloody and all that fun stuff.

As for a quick description of my character that I'm coming up with on the spot....

The murderer is a patient who escaped from a hospital a few villages away. The reason for being hospitalized will be kept a mystery for now. Eventually, he ended up at the door of the inn. Upon reaching the inn, he fainted from hunger and dehydration. And the innkeeper took pity on him. Thus, he was allowed to stay for a couple of days.

However, the more he learned about the innkeeper, the closer he got to finding out that she was a witch. And well, when he found out she was a witch, he killed her. Soon after, he perfectly covered up his crime, disposed of the body in a fire pit, and continued staying at the inn, as if nothing had happened. After all, he found new reasons for staying...the daughter(s) of the innkeeper.

It's a bit of a rough draft, but let me know what you think.

@SpectroVector

That could work. My character is 24, so an age gap of at least two years means yours should be somewhere in the 16-22 range. Were you planning on having her be a witch as well?

@AddictedtoPaper

Hrm. Not a bad premise, but I do have a couple of issues with this interpretation. First off, this is way before the era of formal hospitals. Or, for that matter, diagnoses and basic understanding of disease. I'll need to know what his issue is; I'm fine with secrets being kept in-character but as the GM I'd like to know what sort of characters we've got running around.

Concerning the witchcraft, it's not exactly a secret. They don't advertise the fact, but the local area would probably be well aware that the inn has been owned by witches for generations. Maybe, instead of finding out the "secret", the old innkeeper (Roxiah) found out his secret. Speaking of secrets, incinerating a body isn't very believable in this scenario. Since he's staying for the daughter (Ravenna), maybe he tried to make it look like an animal attack or a botched robbery or something along those lines?

Can't promise you the murderer role (I'd love to have two or three to choose from, ideally) but I think this premise has some promise even without being the murderer.

Would you consider using the World of Darkness to keep the splats (supernatural archetypes) in check?

A good starting point. On behalf of what justice? Someone's gotta foot the bill for this thing and have a court to try the murderer before.

[QUOTE="Lady Sabine]Nope.

[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. The story seems like one that could be adopted for a con game, alright.

@RachelTheStarChild

Well, yes, but the family still isn't a source of justice. They don't have a court or a judge or even the money to hire a mercenary to exact revenge. I suppose a clearer way of phrasing it would be what organization your character would be acting on behalf of?

@Bardiel

Maybe so. I've always been more of a fan of freeform story-based rather than game-based.

Oh I thought you meant like personal justice. Well I think I would end up working under the kingdom or for the witches as a person who deals with their affairs

I would love to join. I want to be one of the visitors although I'm not yet sure what my character would be. I have a question though, is it common knowledge for everyone that fantasy creatures exists or is it a secret from them?

@RachelTheStarChild

Well, I wasn't imagining this universe as having some overarching authority for the witches. Seems simpler to have them be isolated individuals. Going with the kingdom would probably be simpler. Of course, from there we still need to figure out who your character is employed by and what sort of parameters they were given for the investigation.

@CrimsonEclipse

In this part of the world, so close to the crossing point it would be fairly common knowledge that fae exist, albeit probably less common to have actually talked with one. If your character comes from a distant place, though, feel free to have their own experiences differ.

RachelTheStarChild said:
Oh I thought you meant like personal justice. Well I think I would end up working under the kingdom or for the witches as a person who deals with their affairs
Malleus Maleficarum, if you will.

[QUOTE="Lady Sabine]
Maybe so. I've always been more of a fan of freeform story-based rather than game-based.[/uSER]

[/QUOTE]
I'd be the reciprocal. Faretheewell.

I'd like to say my character would be the person in charge of the village in which the Inn is located in or the king the reason being with the killer not being found the village people in a state of worry or panic that there is a killer loose

@RachelTheStarChild

Honey, I'm having a lot of trouble following your sentence. Do you think you could use proper punctuation?

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, you want your character to be the person in charge of the village (which would be what, exactly? I'm not sure what kind of title you're picturing here) who is trying to calm the people down?

Sorry what I'm trying to say is my character was hired by the person in charge of the village to fine the killer, the reason being was the normal people that live in the village would most likely be scared that a killer is free.

Well under a feudal system, the person in charge of the village would be the king and, less directly, whichever lord is in charge of the region. I'm assuming you'd go for the lord? Wanting to calm the villagers is a decent motive, but the parameters of the investigation still need to be set. Give a little drama to the whole thing.

By parameter gonna assume you mean how the investigation is going to be handle. Well I'll be questioning the people at that live at the Inn, looking through the victims notes, checking which people at the Inn are dangerous supernaturals, since its been 4 days I don't think I can go to where the murder happened, and actually find clues, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back