• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern A historical medieval RP.

Historical Storyteller

Four Thousand Club
I want to create a story set in the medieval ages, a real one, one that faithfully reflects history. The thing is, I don't know where to begin, so I'll ask you fellows where should we focus on, and what will our story be. I'll sleep on this one for now. When I come back, I'll be bringing in a story we can work with, right after I read your suggestions. I have a feeling this will be a monumental task, but its one worth working on.

Well, to start... what aspects of the era fascinates you? The colorful festivities? The chivalric tendencies like Ivanhoe? The complex politicking like that of the Medici's? Or the part where you get dragged away by some men in robes with rosary beads in their hands?
The medieval era afaik, encompasses from the late 400s (Dark Ages) to the late 1400s (Pre-Renaissance). Any particular century that you were hoping to delve into? Each particular centuries have their merits.

Historical authenticity, however, are best "told" to facilitate the narrative rather than "enforced", in my experience. Historical RPs are typically avoided or ist tot due to a lot of factors. And standing strict on historical timeline might discourage some creativity, so bear that in mind. I would love to hear what you have in mind for the RP, kinda interested in a historical setting RP myself of late.

Inb4 "muh historical accuracy. reeeeee"

I'd be up for this! Personally, I believe that as long as an inaccuracy isn't agregious (like a knight carrying a machine gun or making pop culture references,) it's completely fine if it makes the story better. In the end, it's a story, and should be a story first.

I would be interested. I find different parts of history to be very interesting. But I would want to know what kind of story was planned before making suggestions. Era would be the main thing really.

Well, to start... what aspects of the era fascinates you? The colorful festivities? The chivalric tendencies like Ivanhoe? The complex politicking like that of the Medici's? Or the part where you get dragged away by some men in robes with rosary beads in their hands?
The medieval era afaik, encompasses from the late 400s (Dark Ages) to the late 1400s (Pre-Renaissance). Any particular century that you were hoping to delve into? Each particular centuries have their merits.

Historical authenticity, however, are best "told" to facilitate the narrative rather than "enforced", in my experience. Historical RPs are typically avoided or ist tot due to a lot of factors. And standing strict on historical timeline might discourage some creativity, so bear that in mind. I would love to hear what you have in mind for the RP, kinda interested in a historical setting RP myself of late.

Inb4 "muh historical accuracy. reeeeee"

I love the study of warfare, which deals with why men fight and how they fight. I like politics, which shows how people deal with each other and react to a problem. I also want to study how people lived during those times, how they lived, how they ate and slept down to how they died. The festivities, the chivalry and all the intrigue's just part of that, and actually, it is embarrassing to admit that despite being a Catholic I don't know much of my practices.

There's too many choices, pick an era and I'll be happy to go along with it. I don't have a particular preference, as long as men live and die there it ain't uncharted territory. I leave the choice up to you and everyone else here. Talk among yourselves and agree on one thing.

I will always, now and forever, stand on the strict side of the historical timeline. Much of the actual events and customs of the day must be represented as faithfully as possible. It may discourage creativity, but it will encourage authenticity.

I will admit one more thing, I'm like an engine, a car ready to start and ready to go in any direction. The problem is, I need a direction! I don't know whether to go north, south, east or west and it is eating me alive, man. I may be strict in history, but I'm always willing to listen to instruction, and I will listen to you when you tell me where to go. That's why I'm here asking everyone here, what era? What place? And I will keep insisting on it. I already have the compass, but where does the arrow point? If I look at myself for direction, the arrow is spinning in all directions at once. Friend, help me escape this torment and do not delay any longer lest I suffer much longer and with much more brutality than necessary.

I'd be up for this! Personally, I believe that as long as an inaccuracy isn't agregious (like a knight carrying a machine gun or making pop culture references,) it's completely fine if it makes the story better. In the end, it's a story, and should be a story first.

Actually, if you ask what kind of story comes to mind what pops up is a court with a nobleman traveling the countryside or, an order of knights righting wrongs in a troubled land or a band of adventurers searching for gold and glory . . .

There is a medieval equivalent of a machine gun, if you wanna know. Problem is, it ain't invented in the medieval ages.

There is something of pop culture there, perhaps its the chivalric romances, or folk stories, maybe even stories of the Gospel.

I would be interested. I find different parts of history to be very interesting. But I would want to know what kind of story was planned before making suggestions. Era would be the main thing really.

Brother, do not ask me what I asked you.

Have you read what I wrote?

Do you care about my life and soul?

My heart is broken and I am left to pick up the pieces.

I love the study of warfare, which deals with why men fight and how they fight. I like politics, which shows how people deal with each other and react to a problem. I also want to study how people lived during those times, how they lived, how they ate and slept down to how they died. The festivities, the chivalry and all the intrigue's just part of that, and actually, it is embarrassing to admit that despite being a Catholic I don't know much of my practices.

There's too many choices, pick an era and I'll be happy to go along with it. I don't have a particular preference, as long as men live and die there it ain't uncharted territory. I leave the choice up to you and everyone else here. Talk among yourselves and agree on one thing.

I will always, now and forever, stand on the strict side of the historical timeline. Much of the actual events and customs of the day must be represented as faithfully as possible. It may discourage creativity, but it will encourage authenticity.

I will admit one more thing, I'm like an engine, a car ready to start and ready to go in any direction. The problem is, I need a direction! I don't know whether to go north, south, east or west and it is eating me alive, man. I may be strict in history, but I'm always willing to listen to instruction, and I will listen to you when you tell me where to go. That's why I'm here asking everyone here, what era? What place? And I will keep insisting on it. I already have the compass, but where does the arrow point? If I look at myself for direction, the arrow is spinning in all directions at once. Friend, help me escape this torment and do not delay any longer lest I suffer much longer and with much more brutality than necessary.

I suppose what you could do is dividing the RP into different arcs throughout different timeline (either in chronological order or not). That way, you could achieve your varied studies throughout the run, while having a diverse selection of materials to cover rather than sticking to one specific century. The characters may or may not be related in some ways. I myself, am interested in the early Medieval timeline, around the rise of Charlemagne-ish. It is a completely foreign territory to me, so it would be interesting to explore that bit. Long as everyone else concur. Also...

"Talk among yourselves and agree on one thing." <- you just gave yourself away as a teacher/professor. Altogether, I will try not to disappoint. My historical knowledge is as good as a highschool textbook. Written and published in the 90's. It ain't much, but... well, it ain't much. Mlem xD

(like a knight carrying a machine gun or making pop culture references,)

>Byzantine cataphract with a polybolos mounted: Hasta la vista, baby.
>cue Eiffel 65's Blue but its played by a hurdy-gurdy.

I suppose what you could do is dividing the RP into different arcs throughout different timeline (either in chronological order or not). That way, you could achieve your varied studies throughout the run, while having a diverse selection of materials to cover rather than sticking to one specific century. The characters may or may not be related in some ways. I myself, am interested in the early Medieval timeline, around the rise of Charlemagne-ish. It is a completely foreign territory to me, so it would be interesting to explore that bit. Long as everyone else concur. Also...

"Talk among yourselves and agree on one thing." <- you just gave yourself away as a teacher/professor. Altogether, I will try not to disappoint. My historical knowledge is as good as a highschool textbook. Written and published in the 90's. It ain't much, but... well, it ain't much. Mlem xD

Just looked up what a polybolos was...holy shit.

What madman decided they needed an automatic balista?
When you got a bunch of angry people at your door after Alexander's death, Rome and Carthage are wrestling control over the Mare Nostrum...
It dun hurt to have one of those in the Aegeans, ya know? Exercising that 2nd amendmen- oh wait. Mlem.
Also, Archimedes had those claw thingy majiggy that whacks Roman ships like a fly swatter around the same time. So 🤷 [anything goes]

All right, I'll take a look at the early medieval times, particularly on the Franks. I'll be back.

I'm not a professor. But many times I come across that way.

I have many sources, mostly videos, and I haven't read the books. I have as much to learn as you.

ALL RIGHT EVERYONE.
Choose now, or be silent forever. Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 has nominated the early medieval ages, perhaps focusing on the Franks (correct me if I'm wrong). Do we have any other suggestions?

When you got a bunch of angry people at your door after Alexander's death, Rome and Carthage are wrestling control over the Mare Nostrum...
It dun hurt to have one of those in the Aegeans, ya know? Exercising that 2nd amendmen- oh wait. Mlem.
Also, Archimedes had those claw thingy majiggy that whacks Roman ships like a fly swatter around the same time. So 🤷 [anything goes]
Makes sense.

No complaints here1

All right, I'll take a look at the early medieval times, particularly on the Franks. I'll be back.

I'm not a professor. But many times I come across that way.

I have many sources, mostly videos, and I haven't read the books. I have as much to learn as you.

ALL RIGHT EVERYONE.
Choose now, or be silent forever. Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 has nominated the early medieval ages, perhaps focusing on the Franks (correct me if I'm wrong). Do we have any other suggestions?
Either Franks or Lombards. My knowledge on early medieval history is a bit clouded. But anywhere in that time period would be awesome :D

Are you still there? I'll check up on each of you. I'm just reading through a book, one that will take us to Frankish times. Hopefully, you guys are getting prepared as well.

If you are wondering where I am, I am reading this book.

I'm not aware of the era, so I can't answer questions with confidence at this time. You can ask general questions about the medieval era, about fighting in general, or how people lived, and I will try my best to answer those questions. I haven't asked Sushi what specific time in the Frankish era our story is set in, or what kind of story will it be. But I will make preparations.

By the way, Sushi can choose whatever time period is in this book, or anything else in the Frankish era. Also, she can choose the Lombards instead but I haven't started researching on them yet.

EDIT: I found a series of books called "Italy and her Invaders". It looks promising.

It starts here at Volume 1: The Visigothic Invaders.

Volume 5 is concerned with Lombard Kingdom.

Also, sorry for taking so long to reply. My mind gets preoccupied with many things. And it took a while for me to select a book on Frankish history.

Wait, I have to do something. Will be back. Leave some questions and some suggestions too.

Last edited:
Are you still there? I'll check up on each of you. I'm just reading through a book, one that will take us to Frankish times. Hopefully, you guys are getting prepared as well.
Still shipshape and Bristol fashion, cap'n!

If you are wondering where I am, I am reading this book.

I'm not aware of the era, so I can't answer questions with confidence at this time. You can ask general questions about the medieval era, about fighting in general, or how people lived, and I will try my best to answer those questions. I haven't asked Sushi what specific time in the Frankish era our story is set in, or what kind of story will it be. But I will make preparations.

By the way, Sushi can choose whatever time period is in this book, or anything else in the Frankish era. Also, she can choose the Lombards instead but I haven't started researching on them yet.

EDIT: I found a series of books called "Italy and her Invaders". It looks promising.

It starts here at Volume 1: The Visigothic Invaders.

Volume 5 is concerned with Lombard Kingdom.

Also, sorry for taking so long to reply. My mind gets preoccupied with many things. And it took a while for me to select a book on Frankish history.

Wait, I have to do something. Will be back. Leave some questions and some suggestions too.
Holy cow, I didn't know this site existed! I suppose I should take some time to read those as well.
As far as era goes, I'm comfortable with any. If anything, I believe it's best to go with the era you're well-versed with. I just threw the Charlemagne timeline out there since no one suggested any particular period yet xD
I myself, have absolutely little or no knowledge on most medieval history aside from some materials I wiki-ed from video games.
Should we proceed with that timeline, perhaps during the Saxon Wars [780]. With a couple of wars/conflicts going on, it should be interesting for those looking for some medieval actions.
But please, take your time to decide the sweet-spot of the era.

Still shipshape and Bristol fashion, cap'n!

Holy cow, I didn't know this site existed! I suppose I should take some time to read those as well.
As far as era goes, I'm comfortable with any. If anything, I believe it's best to go with the era you're well-versed with. I just threw the Charlemagne timeline out there since no one suggested any particular period yet xD
I myself, have absolutely little or no knowledge on most medieval history aside from some materials I wiki-ed from video games.
Should we proceed with that timeline, perhaps during the Saxon Wars [780]. With a couple of wars/conflicts going on, it should be interesting for those looking for some medieval actions.
But please, take your time to decide the sweet-spot of the era.

The past week has been eventful for me so I had to leave without notifying you folks. It will take time to select an era. I also need more time setting up the story. There is much information to deal with, but we can overcome this by being persistent. I will continuously update you on my progress, so that you may know what I am doing, and not wonder where I am.

I am currently looking at the Lombard Kingdom, and deciding which era to select. I'd also like to select a new book that features the armies of that era and time.

EDIT: There are two more books that have come to my attention.

EDIT: There's one more book, it nearly slipped my attention.

Last edited:
This isn't on-topic, but this message so pleased me that I'm going to post it here anyway. You may not be practicing Christians, or might not understand the meaning of the Cross, so this preacher Billy Graham can explain the significance of Christ's sacrifice for you.

Oh this starting to look interesting. I admit my knowledge of Early medieval era is mostly based East, (Eastern Roman empire and the like) until 1066. But I always happy to learn. We don't we do a charleamagne like rise to power story?

Oh this starting to look interesting. I admit my knowledge of Early medieval era is mostly based East, (Eastern Roman empire and the like) until 1066. But I always happy to learn. We don't we do a charleamagne like rise to power story?

We can on one condition.

You have to select an era and place, within the Kingdom of Lombardy. There are books here to help you decide and you can read them, but you can always do your own independent research. By the way, I did promise a man by the name of DreadBirate DreadBirate that I'd look into the 535 - 554 period, the Gothic Wars and the Ostrogothic Kingdom. You may want to start looking there so we can all agree on something. Most of us are just waiting to get started.

After that, we can start looking at things more closely. We will choose what material to review, based on the people, the conditions and the landmarks of that era and place. We can then review the material and then make a story out of it.

An update, I've been away for a while but now I'm back. I'll be looking at the 535 -554 period. And I'm taking a look at the books below.

Book IV: The Ostrogothic Invasion.

Book V: The Imperial Restoration.

Book VI: The Lombard Invasion.

I'll be checking up on each of you to see how you're doing.

EDIT: Here's another version of volume 5, its easier on the eyes.

Book V: The Imperial Restoration.

EDIT: Oh, and also, I want to ask if there's any particular chapter you guys would like us to study. If you could do that, we can finally make a story out of it.

EDIT: Oh crud, I forgot all about this. I'll have to do some binge reading sessions to make up for lost time. I'm sorry for the long wait, but I'll be sure to come up with results. Initially, I was hoping you guys would read a bit and select a chapter or two, but it looks like I'm the one who has to do it. I have to do this because otherwise we will take forever and will eventually forget about the entire thing altogether.

Last edited:
Bump!

*Knock knock knock* Anyone interested? Thought I might give this thread a bump every once in a while. We need a few more people to keep things running.

EDIT: By the way, we can have discussions about the story while we're waiting here. We may as well figure out what this story is about and what we'll put in it. I can personally deliver the books to be read straight to you guys so you'll see what material we're covering.

EDIT: We could also share books here for others to read or at least browse through. It may be bad for us to confine ourselves to the books we've brought here. It might end up boring us, you see. There is much more to explore besides books, there are videos as well, and not just videos, you can do your own experiments or even ponder what life was like during those times. I'd like to encourage you all to explore the medieval ages and ask as many questions as you can, even those which I do not know the answer to. It's a good thing to consider things you haven't known before. For that is how we begin to learn as historians, as writers and as people. I felt a little sentimental there, so I had to give off a little speech there. Forgive me if you think I'm putting on airs, maybe I needed to do something like that anyway.

What I want to say that although the story we tackle is difficult, we need not worry or fear, for we have each other. And if that is not enough, then we can always pray to God, and that will be more than enough. There is much work to be done ahead of us, but more than work we will have greater fun, for though we create our own story we shall also be faithful to history.

EDIT: At the moment, I'm trying to find a new era for our historical RP. It will probably be set in medieval Lombardy, I'll look into this and report my findings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back