• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A Different Type of Beast

Which were-animal should this RP be based upon?

• Werebirds (of prey)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weresharks

• Weredeer (or Pecora in general)

• Other - Specify Down Below

• Total voters

StoneWolf18

Within the Depths of a Dream

After participating in a few RPs and having a few characters a few characters revolving around werewolves, I had started thinking. "What about other animals?" And no, I'm not talking about big cats though that would be quite interesting. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help create an RP revolving around a few creatures not all that typical to the scene. I have a list in a poll above and you can specify down below if you would like.

I know I'm not the first one to suggest this nor is this the first time I've thought about it. I'm also not expecting many people interested, but a few people to construct something to do with this would be bloody lovely.

Hm. This seems like an interesting investment.

Were-canines and felines can be found in a lot of mythologies world-wide, and some rpgs (notably Dungeons and Dragons) includes lots of variations (rats, badgers, etc), though all mainly focus on warmblooded animals.

What I think is that whatever species you'd turn into a were-variant shoud be either omnivore or carnivore, and RP-ing is often easier on "ground level" (walking and flying creatures) than underwater - weresharks sound awesome, but they could only work well if a mermaid/merman society was also involved in the setting.

Were-birds and were-reptilians sound very good picks, but were-variants of normally herbivorous animals is a bit... odd. Though they would certainly add to variety. A were-deer would likely resemble a Wendigo, no?

Heck, with some brainstorming, this could expand into a neat little setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were-sharks and the like could simply work in a similar way to anthropomorphic animals, as could others, and herbivorous were-beasts wouldn't necessarily need to be carnivorous upon transformation, they could be a massively more destructive beast rather than a killer.

Just thought I'd give my two cents, hello.

That much is true.

What we would really need is to find some generalized rules as to what lycantrophy is (in the context of the RP, that is): is it a curse? A blessing of some deity? A plague that spreads? How does it work? What are common features? Does it change diet? Etc.

Well, as these beasts are not necessarily lycanthropes, differing lore can be created, no?

[QUOTE="The Doorman]Well, as these beasts are not necessarily lycanthropes, differing lore can be created, no?

[/QUOTE]
Exactly! Though it will follow the same basic principles.

That kind of takes the point away in my opinion. Then we are merely talking about animal-human hybrids, and/or "fursonas".

The connecting element of were-creatures, in general, is that they are not born. Usually. They transform.

Morris said:
That kind of takes the point away in my opinion. Then we are merely talking about animal-human hybrids, and/or "fursonas".
I fail to see your point, a were-beast is a human that takes on the qualities of the beast under the glow of moonlight. Just haphazardly slapping the logic of a lycanthrope on any were-beast would take away the point of exploring new grounds on the prospect of were-beings that aren't necessarily your typical wolf-men.

And on the topic of transformation, there was no objection... So...

Morris said:
The connecting element of were-creatures, in general, is that they are not born. Usually. They transform.
Yes, that is the point. Following the basic rules of lycanthropy with subtle changes.

@TheDoorman I must apologise for my hasty remark I think. 12 working hours/day does odd things to my judgement :P

I believe it is entirely possible to create differing lore for the various were-species. They could be even organized into clans or something, each with different transformation rules.

Morris said:
@TheDoorman I must apologise for my hasty remark I think. 12 working hours/day does odd things to my judgement :P
I believe it is entirely possible to create differing lore for the various were-species. They could be even organized into clans or something, each with different transformation rules.
And that's what I want to accomplish ^^

Sounds perfectly do-able :)

Some world building wouldn't hurt at first, though. Any basis for a setting? Typical european fantasy, or something more exotic? Ie. a backwards land where were-species are "heralds" of gods, or a somewhat dark fantasy/lovecraftian setting where were-creatures appear due to a plague from an unknown source (a bit like Legacy of Kain, except with were-beings instead of vampires).

Morris said:
Sounds perfectly do-able :)
Some world building wouldn't hurt at first, though. Any basis for a setting? Typical european fantasy, or something more exotic? Ie. a backwards land where were-species are "heralds" of gods, or a somewhat dark fantasy/lovecraftian setting where were-creatures appear due to a plague from an unknown source (a bit like Legacy of Kain, except with were-beings instead of vampires).
Well we shoud decide on the type of were-species first so we can plan accordingly.

I think the procedure can work either way, regardless whether we bend the world to the creatures' needs, or vice versa.

It would probably be advisable to focus the RP into a single "region" (county, continent, island, city-state, whatever).

Query: do you wish to exclude more traditional were-creatures (canines and felines) and just play with new species, or would they be included as well?

Morris said:
I think the procedure can work either way, regardless whether we bend the world to the creatures' needs, or vice versa.
It would probably be advisable to focus the RP into a single "region" (county, continent, island, city-state, whatever).

Query: do you wish to exclude more traditional were-creatures (canines and felines) and just play with new species, or would they be included as well?
Well, then this can go either ways. The RP being focused upon all were-creatures and being larger scale, or smaller and on one or two.

Then it boils down to your personal preference in the end.

As much as I am into tabletop RP-ing with elaborately crafted worlds, it can take a lot of time to build up a unique setting unless you are using something as a basis, ie.: modern real-life, but with supernaturals (a la Vampire the Masquarade).

IMHO, the scale of the play doesn't need to be that large to accomodate *all* were-creature types. It can be as simple as having a large island with several nation/tribes, each with their distinct style of lycantrophy, and differing approach to accepting/rejecting it. I actually made up a similar thing as this when I was younger, made up of Lego. I switched the figures' heads with birds, for example, to depict "cursed" tribesmen who fled to a mountain to avoid taking part in a war and their allies' shamans afflicted them. Ah, good times.

Morris said:
Then it boils down to your personal preference in the end.
As much as I am into tabletop RP-ing with elaborately crafted worlds, it can take a lot of time to build up a unique setting unless you are using something as a basis, ie.: modern real-life, but with supernaturals (a la Vampire the Masquarade).

IMHO, the scale of the play doesn't need to be that large to accomodate *all* were-creature types. It can be as simple as having a large island with several nation/tribes, each with their distinct style of lycantrophy, and differing approach to accepting/rejecting it. I actually made up a similar thing as this when I was younger, made up of Lego. I switched the figures' heads with birds, for example, to depict "cursed" tribesmen who fled to a mountain to avoid taking part in a war and their allies' shamans afflicted them. Ah, good times.
Hmmm, might wanna go with the few tribes idea. Either all the same type of animal such as canine or feline or all different as well as all holding variations to their believes as well as lycanthropy.

Oh and this shouldn't be a problem. I've already made various races including werewolf yet nothing with it centered around a curse and more of it being genetic.

I believe the were-types could be divided like species of the animal kingdoms: mammals (such as canines, felines, primates), reptilians (ie. lizards, snakes), avians (birds of prey mostly), "nauticals" (predatory fish and/or amphibians), and maybe insects (dear god why?!)

Their origins are divided amongst the tribes who inhabit the various regions of the island/continent, each with a patron deity. Whether the gods are real is not known, but the locals believe each were-species is the will/benevolence/malevolence of their deity made manifest, and react to them accordingly.

Just tossing ideas around...

Morris said:
I believe the were-types could be divided like species of the animal kingdoms: mammals (such as canines, felines, primates), reptilians (ie. lizards, snakes), avians (birds of prey mostly), "nauticals" (predatory fish and/or amphibians), and maybe insects (dear god why?!)
Their origins are divided amongst the tribes who inhabit the various regions of the island/continent, each with a patron deity. Whether the gods are real is not known, but the locals believe each were-species is the will/benevolence/malevolence of their deity made manifest, and react to them accordingly.

Just tossing ideas around...
They are not bad ideas, quite good if I do say so myself.

Hmmm, so how many groups do we think? All of them and focus upon one or two? All of them?

Seriously? As many as you please :P I am willing to help with details if you need it.

And again, you should consider what you wish to concentrate upon. Interaction between were-creatures? Interactions within their societies? A mix of both for story reasons, ie. foreigners invade the island and this turns the political balance upside down among the natives? So many possibilities...

I think 5 broad categories to choose from is fairly large, and having 5 distinct tribes (+/- 1 invader) is a good selection for an RP. Not overwhelming, but still leaves a lot of options.

Sorry for the bump, but as discussed in our conversation, I'm putting my ideas here for now.

----

Basically, we have a large island divided to several regions. Each region has a dominant tribe. The tribes are often opposed to one another, but all-out war is extremely scarce; warbands and chosen champions resolve most conflicts.

Were-creatures are rare beings, and each were-creature bears features associated with the tribes they are borne into. Were-creatures are considered manifestations of gods that the tribes worship; their ill will, blessing, etc. In truth, it is unknown whether the gods are even real and the afflictions might be simply genetic.

Pantheon:

- Sun Mother (major god)

- Moon Father (major god)

- Earth Deity (major god)

Major gods are respected by all tribes to varying degrees. This corresponds to the times when were-creatures transform.

- The Mistress of Depths (tribal patron - Wavetamers)

- The Hissing Lord (tribal patron - Bleakscales)

- The Antler-Crowned King (tribal patron - Barkstriders)

- The Watchful Matriach (tribal patron - Whistlebeaks)

- The Lurking One (tribal patron - Beetlekins)

Tribal Patron deities are worshipped by their respective tribes. Some are feared, others venerated as benevolent guides.

Regions:

- Coastlines (beach, some swamps and minor islands)

- Wildwoods (forest/jungle, maybe marshlands)

- Plains (steppe/savannah, somewhat fertile)

- Mountains (in the middle of the island)

- Underground (cavernous depths criss-crossing the island)

The tribes:

- Wavetamers

- Bleakscales

- Barkstriders

- Whistlebeaks

- Beetlekins

+ Ironhides

Wavetamers: fishers and boatmen, whale and shark hunters, own most of the Coastlines. Associated with nautical were-creatures (predatory fish/amphibians), who are Moon-phase shifters (transform at night). They consider the shapeshifting a gift that brings them closer to their goddess, and hold their shapeshifting kinsmen/women in high esteem.

Bleakscales: hunters of the forests and marshlands of the island, own the Wildwoods by standard. Associated with reptilian were-creatures, who are Sun-phase shifters (transform at morning). Shapeshifting is considered a challenge that one must learn to control, lest it takes the person over who then may endanger his/her fellows; but if he/she triumps, they rise high in society.

Barkstriders: agricultural tribe and big game hunters, the Plains belong to them. Associated with mammalian were-creatures (canines, felines, primates, deers, etc), who are Moon-phase shifters. Shapeshifting is seen as a horrendous form of punishment that slowly overwhelms the victim, so they are cast out into border territories to keep interlopers away.

Whistlebeaks: highland-dwelling huntsmen of the Mountains who often descend to the lower regions of the island to track prey. Associated with avian were-creatures (birds of prey), who are Sun-phase shifters. Shapeshifting is seen a blessing, but one that alienates the individual from the community, as they disown the person, claiming he/she belongs to the tribal patron god now - and so they can do whatever they want, as long as they don't fight the community.

Beetlekins: subterranean tribe who have a whole town carved out in the Underground where they farm fungi and creepy beetles/worms; they also deal in mining and masonry; shunned by others, but their goods are sought after. Associated with insectiod were-creatures, who can transform at any time they please (!), but only for limited lengths of time. Shapeshifting is considered ascendence to a higher form, and such individuals are blindly obeyed.

Ironhides: invading faction, could be some viking/conquistador mixed anti-magic/monster slayer/atheistic/racial supremacist imperialist group who forced their way in just recently. Their leadership is pretty close-minded, though lower ranking members and simple settlers wouldn't mind peaceful coexistence.

------

That's all I have for now.

Morris said:
Sorry for the bump, but as discussed in our conversation, I'm putting my ideas here for now.
----

Basically, we have a large island divided to several regions. Each region has a dominant tribe. The tribes are often opposed to one another, but all-out war is extremely scarce; warbands and chosen champions resolve most conflicts.

Were-creatures are rare beings, and each were-creature bears features associated with the tribes they are borne into. Were-creatures are considered manifestations of gods that the tribes worship; their ill will, blessing, etc. In truth, it is unknown whether the gods are even real and the afflictions might be simply genetic.

Pantheon:

- Sun Mother (major god)

- Moon Father (major god)

- Earth Deity (major god)

Major gods are respected by all tribes to varying degrees. This corresponds to the times when were-creatures transform.

- The Mistress of Depths (tribal patron - Wavetamers)

- The Hissing Lord (tribal patron - Bleakscales)

- The Antler-Crowned King (tribal patron - Barkstriders)

- The Watchful Matriach (tribal patron - Whistlebeaks)

- The Lurking One (tribal patron - Beetlekins)

Tribal Patron deities are worshipped by their respective tribes. Some are feared, others venerated as benevolent guides.

Regions:

- Coastlines (beach, some swamps and minor islands)

- Wildwoods (forest/jungle, maybe marshlands)

- Plains (steppe/savannah, somewhat fertile)

- Mountains (in the middle of the island)

- Underground (cavernous depths criss-crossing the island)

The tribes:

- Wavetamers

- Bleakscales

- Barkstriders

- Whistlebeaks

- Beetlekins

+ Ironhides

Wavetamers: fishers and boatmen, whale and shark hunters, own most of the Coastlines. Associated with nautical were-creatures (predatory fish/amphibians), who are Moon-phase shifters (transform at night). They consider the shapeshifting a gift that brings them closer to their goddess, and hold their shapeshifting kinsmen/women in high esteem.

Bleakscales: hunters of the forests and marshlands of the island, own the Wildwoods by standard. Associated with reptilian were-creatures, who are Sun-phase shifters (transform at morning). Shapeshifting is considered a challenge that one must learn to control, lest it takes the person over who then may endanger his/her fellows; but if he/she triumps, they rise high in society.

Barkstriders: agricultural tribe and big game hunters, the Plains belong to them. Associated with mammalian were-creatures (canines, felines, primates, deers, etc), who are Moon-phase shifters. Shapeshifting is seen as a horrendous form of punishment that slowly overwhelms the victim, so they are cast out into border territories to keep interlopers away.

Whistlebeaks: highland-dwelling huntsmen of the Mountains who often descend to the lower regions of the island to track prey. Associated with avian were-creatures (birds of prey), who are Sun-phase shifters. Shapeshifting is seen a blessing, but one that alienates the individual from the community, as they disown the person, claiming he/she belongs to the tribal patron god now - and so they can do whatever they want, as long as they don't fight the community.

Beetlekins: subterranean tribe who have a whole town carved out in the Underground where they farm fungi and creepy beetles/worms; they also deal in mining and masonry; shunned by others, but their goods are sought after. Associated with insectiod were-creatures, who can transform at any time they please (!), but only for limited lengths of time. Shapeshifting is considered ascendence to a higher form, and such individuals are blindly obeyed.

Ironhides: invading faction, could be some viking/conquistador mixed anti-magic/monster slayer/atheistic/racial supremacist imperialist group who forced their way in just recently. Their leadership is pretty close-minded, though lower ranking members and simple settlers wouldn't mind peaceful coexistence.

------

That's all I have for now.
I applaud you, good sir. That is amazing :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back