• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern 1x1 With sleepingdaydreamer

Ta Min

: D
tumblr_m8rzbiOH401rb0aixo1_500.jpg

Rule #5 of the girl code: Do not date, touch, flirt with, or even think about the brother.
Too bad no one told Mei.

(Between Ta Min Ta Min & lostwanderer lostwanderer )

Mei Roslyn Li / 19 / Mother; Laura J. Roslyn / Father; Hulin Li
Screenshot_20141201142247.jpg

(face claim; helly tống)

(Mei's letter to Nathaniel // Reference )
Hello Nathaniel. Natheyyy. Nat. Or my favorite, Cupcake. Not exactly Nathaniel related but I think it describes you quite well. Sweet on the inside and out. Haha, anyway, if you're reading this I'm already back in America and you're still in France. If not, then bad Cupcake. Put the letter back! Haha sorry if this is bizarre but I haven't done anything like this before. It's literally 2:00 a.m, six hours until I have to get up and head over to the good ole cafe with you for some breakfast and I'm really tired. Then again, this is probably the only time I'd have enough courage to do this in the first place.

I want to start off with saying thank you, thank you for being such a wonderful person, and thank you for entering my life. Even if it is only for short amount of time. I just wanted you to know the past days we've spent together have been some of the best days of my life. I've had so much fun. If I could stay with you I would, but I don't think I could stay in France or ask you to leave. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Still, I will miss you. And I'm sure you'll miss me *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* (that was cringy, sorry) so I gave you this cute picture of us taken by that semi-creepy guy who was wayyyy too interested in us, but he did take a nice picture. Just something to remember me by, oh and a necklace that I hope isn't too girly with our initials carved into it. Ya know, just a little something so I don't disappear.

It is now currently 3:00 a.m and I think I might pass out but I just need to say one thing. I really like you. And it scares me because I know you'll be gone in a day or two and I'll never see you again. You're honestly one of the best people I've met and it's a shame we don't live near each other. I'm sure if we did I'd say some really cheesy pickup line and you'd be mine. Or at least that's how I'd imagine it going. That was more than one thing and I should probably stop now or I'll start crying. Once again, thank you. For everything really.

Love,
Mei ^-^

p.s, stay out of trouble while I'm gone! And remember you'reeee great!

Last edited:
Every other Friday night for the past four years of Mei's life she's done the exact same thing. Around three, right after school ended she rushes home to start packing only the necessities to spend the night (or entire weekend) at her besties house - what she packs has changed over the years but she always brings her stuffed elephant, Nelly, her old but ever so comfy pillow, and exactly three different types of candy, generally whatever was currently the girl's favorite and a random one for them to try and see if they like. This entire process took roughly an hour and by the time she was done it was four o'clock, however, once she was done nothing could stop her from arriving at Cyrille's house as soon as possible. Then, at exactly 4:15 she arrived on Cyrille's doorstep already in her elephant onesie (with tail and ears), worn pillow with a faded cloud themed case wrapped around it, and a soccer duffle bag slung over her right shoulder. For the rest of the night, she and Cyrille stuffed their faces with junk food, watched whatever was on Netflix, shamelessly gossiped about petty things and had a laugh about it, did something stupid (like writing whiskers on each other faces in sharpie), talked themselves to oblivion, and simply enjoyed one another's company. Given that this did change once the pair entered college they always made sure to see each other every other Friday night, but now it was summer and there was nothing standing in Mei's way of keeping up the tradition.

As soon as the clock read three, Mei started her process. This time she was in more of a hurry seeing that she was anxious to see her friend but towards the end, she did make sure to slow down and make sure she had everything she needed. With this being the first time they've done this in months she wanted everything to be perfect. Once it was clear she had everything she bid goodbye to her parents and rushed out of the house with her things before stuffing them into the back seat of her Lexus. Pulling out of her driveway she drove just above the speed limit and was practically bubbling with excitement. Still, she was a careful driver and besides that whole speeding thing, she abided by the law. While driving she got a few weird looks what with her almost too small worn onesie with floppy ears that went down to her chin but after doing this so many times before, she didn't really care all that much.

An oh so familiar two-story house soon came into view and she didn't waste any time parking on te side of the road and getting her things from the back before joyfully skipping up to the house. Stopping in front of a wooden door she knocked once, then twice, and a third time for good measure. A smile on her lips as she waited for an answer.

(haha sorry it's so long, but most of my 'opening post' are like that.)

Last edited:
Nathaniel Isaac Gutierrez Evans/21/Mother: Olivia Gutierrez-Evans/Father: Raymond Evans/Younger sister: Cyrille Elena Gutierrez Evans
images

(face claim: River Viiperi)

Last edited:
To say that Cyrille was excited for tonight was a huge understatement. It has been quite a while since she saw her best friend in person, perhaps even almost a year since they were actually supposed to go see each other during winter break but it would seem the Lis had decided to spend their holidays in another country. Sure, they communicated through video chat for the majority of the trip and she basically squeezed every single detail she could out of her friend but it still was not the same. Now that summer was here, they now have three months of simply chilling with each other before the new term starts.

All donned up in a pastel blue dinosaur onesie, complete with matching slippers, she could barely sit still in her house, making sure that everything was perfect for their sleepover, that there was not a single speck of dust out of place. Currently, she was fussing over things she needs to finish. She moved the bean bags to face the television for their movie marathon later on, she checked the cupboards for microwave popcorn and powder flavorings, setting it out on the countertop for easier access later on, alongside the big bags of chips. Drinks and a tub of ice cream to share were in the fridge.

Basically, she was all set and was too busy making salsa dip for the chips, when she failed to notice that her brother had made his way to the fridge and got himself a cold can of root beer, looking at her with half a smirk and a raised brow at her outfit. "So what's with the get-up, little sis?" He whispered into her ear, making her jump and almost nick her finger. She softly glared at him, which made him laugh, finding it hard to take her seriously, as he raised his hands in surrender. She kept her gaze on him for a little bit more, before she resumed what she was doing, "My best friend's coming over for the first time since college started." She drizzled the coarsely chopped cilantro on the salsa and mixed it with the concoction, while her brother popped the tab open with his index finger and took a sip in thought, before she set the spoon down. "Hey, can you try this out for me? Tell me if there's anything lacking."

Nathaniel nodded, setting down his root beer to open a bag of chips and swiped a bit of the salsa from the wooden spoon before he bit into the crunchy chip. He hummed, savoring the taste before he swallowed, "Could be a bit spicier in my opinion. And you forgot the lime juice." He pointed to the green fruit on the glass bowl near the microwave before he took a sip of his root beer. Her eyes lit up in realization, snapping her fingers, "I knew I forgot something! Thank you." She walked towards the fruit bowl and got a lime, when a knock resounded from the door. Suddenly, she looked panicked, "That must be her now, but I'm--" She frantically looked around when a hand landed on her head, "Chill. I got it, just do what you have to do." He messed with her hair, much to her dismay, and gave her a reassuring grin before he walked towards the door.

He checked himself on the mirror on his way over before he looked out the peephole, the first thing he noticed was the floppy ears of an elephant, obscuring the view of her face, 'Yep, this is her friend alright, if the animal onesie had anything to say about it.' He thought to himself as he unlocked the door, opening it wide enough to reveal the person outside. "Hey, you must be..." His eyes moved down to look at her face when he found himself stopping mid-sentence as a strange sense of familiarity washed over him.

Last edited:
As soon as the door opened, she felt her face light up in excitement only to be masked with confusion within a fraction of a second. Instead of being greeted by a beaming Cyrille a boy stood before her with a funny expression on his face. When he failed to complete his sentence she made the decision to do it for him without so much as thinking twice about it, "Mei, Mei Li." She waited for a heartbeat before continuing quite lamely with, "You're not Cyrille..." A small blush crept up her neck as she realized how what she said was quite blatantly stating the obvious and immediately felt foolish afterward. Once she recovered from her little mishap she took the time to look up from the ground at his face when a frown covered her features.

"Do I know you?" Mei paused before continuing, "I could've sworn I've seen you somewhere," the answer to her question was just out of her reach and she couldn't help but acknowledge how bizarre this entire situation was. If she was correct, which she doubted she was, there was no logical reason to why he was here, at doorstep of her best friends house. Putting pressure on her right foot, she leaned over looking for Cyrille to see if she was scurrying somewhere behind the figure standing in front of her before resuming her former position.

Realizing that her actions had to potential to be perceived as rude she was quick to clean up her mess and add, "Sorry if I come off as rude," she gave him a small but genuinely apologetic smile. "As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm a bit confused right now." That's when it donned on her, how she knew this boy, but the question was... what in the world was he doing here?

Nathaniel stood there as he tried to rack his mind as to where he has seen the girl before. Somehow, the idea of cold snow seemed to be most striking but then he realized he was with company right now so he decided to set aside the thought for a moment, playing off his momentary pause with a small smile when the elephant girl introduced herself. "Nice to meet you." He then chuckled when she had pointed the obvious, "Yeah, she's currently tending to some matters so I was the one who answered the door." He shrugged with one shoulder, noticing the silly expression on the girl's face and fighting the urge to laugh at her so instead, he leaned on the door to keep it open, glancing at the direction of the kitchen as he waited for his sister to come around.

Seeing no signs of her yet, he shifted his gaze back to the visitor. He slightly tilted his head at her question, realizing that it wasn't just his presumptuous mind that thought that way, "Funny you should say that, I was meaning to ask you the same thing." He looked at her from head to toe, all the while thinking that he has in fact seen her before. His mind kept rolling towards the idea of having seen her in France, but that leaves the biggest question yet: What was she doing here with his younger sister? Suspicion began to blossom in his mind, as his eyes slightly narrowed at the girl but he dismissed his ideas as his face led on a blank expression.

"Nah, it's cool." He replied, dismissing her apology. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions as to what's going on here, but believe me when I say that I'm equally as lost as you are, if not more." He murmured, his mind finally making the connection when his hand slightly tightened over the can on his hand, emotions stirring in his eyes. She's....

However, this was the time Cyrille decided to make her appearance as she maneuvered around him to go to her friend."Mei! You're here." She chirped, giving her friend a hug. "I missed you so, so much!" She smiled widely at her, her eyes lighting up with a slew of positive emotions before she held her unoccupied hand and gently led her inside. Nathaniel decided to avoid the elephant dancing around the tea shop, stepping aside to hold the door for the two ladies, "Why don't you come on inside?" He put on a lopsided smile.

Last edited:
Once Mei managed to connect the dots there was this short period of time where she kind of just shut down completely, too stunned/surprised to function for a second or two. It took a bit of mental coaxing but once she was ready she opened her mouth to say something, this, of course, was when Cyrille decided to pop up and say hello. Of course, Mei was overtaken with glee upon seeing a familiar face and returned her friend's hug wholeheartedly. "I missed you too! But now we have the entire summer to catch up," She said, shooting Cyrille a playful- over dramatic wink for effect.

When a voice budded in, it only took her a moment to realize that she and Cyrille weren't the only people here/in the world and flashed the person she knew better than she ought to a charming smile in response to his lopsided one that gave her butterflies. "Of course, of course," She said, walking arm in arm with Cyrille inside, whispering a faint but definitely there "Thank you, Nathaniel," on her way in, it was her small way of saying 'i remember you'. Seeing that she used his name but he never formally introduced himself, but there really wasn't a need for him to do so.

Stepping inside of the familiar house in which she spent a good amount of her teen years in she smiled fondly. "Wow, you really went all out this time did you?" Her voice giving away how impressed and touched she was that Cyrille went through so much trouble for this, for her. "Of course I brought the basics with me, our favorite candy and a weird one to try. This Friday it's chocolate covered maggots." A small but devilish smile creeping up on her face, she knew Cyrille wasn't a big fan of bugs and always took an opportunity to mess with her when she could.

"Don't worry though, you only have to eat one." She twisted her body slightly in order to reach her bag hanging from her should before unzipping it, and pulling out three boxes. The one in the middle being white with a clear 'window' so you could see the dead insects inside. "Now, where shall put these? The usual place?" She asked, gesturing to the coffee table in the living room.

Cyrille grinned widely when her friend returned the gesture with equal enthusiasm, "Yes! Indeed we do." She caught her wink and pretended to swoon before she laughed, "It's been a year since we last saw each other and now that our time has come again, I plan to make use of the whole break to catch up and I am not taking no or any statement contradictory to that for an answer." She playfully poked her on the chest for enunciation, her face putting on a serious expression before breaking out into a childishly toothy smile.

Nathaniel watched the two friends rekindle their friendship with a rather fond expression, knowing that his sister was doing fine and well with her life during his time away in college. When the girls were snapped out of their own bubble and remembered they were not exactly alone, his eyes landed back to Mei who gave him her own little smile before she and her sister went inside with his sister giggling, "Way to ruin the moment, Nat." She pointed out as she walked along her elephant friend. He laughed a bit, "Sorry, Cy. Didn't mean to." He closed the door behind them, but not before catching what Mei whispered, which made him smile a little bit wider, watching them go from the corner of his eye. After which, he decided to go upstairs to his room, casually sipping his root beer, 'So it really was her.' He thought to himself, a smirk forming on his lips.

Hearing her praise her work, Cyrille looked at her own nails, blowing imaginary dust on them before rubbing it on her onesie, "What can I say, I tried my best. No biggie." She played off, her jitters finally wearing off and fell into a comfortable state, knowing that her effort was all worth it. "And besides, this is somewhat our own private get-together party, so it's the least I can do." She smiled. Her face turned childish again, when she heard she had brought sweets, "Awesome!" But then her face crumpled at the mention of chocolate covered maggots, "Why?" She pouted.

She looked slightly relieved that she only had to eat one however she was still a bit uneasy, especially seeing the insects frozen in milky goodness, along with their usual treats. She swallowed her fear and nodded at the coffee table, "Sure, drop 'em there. The chips and the other stuff are still in the kitchen though, so do you want us to go get them now or later?" She craned her head to the direction of the kitchen.

Last edited:
Mei crossed the room and set the three boxes down, neatly putting them in a corner on top of one another before wandering back over to Cyrille. "Let's go ahead and get it now so we can discuss the gameplan." She said, walking to the kitchen and picking up a few items in her arms. Her eyes skimming over the snacks appreciatively, after leaving for college she actually managed to drop five pounds from not eating this junk food every other Friday but she couldn't say that she missed chocolates sweet goodness and funyuns salty taste every now and then as she ate her plain yogurt in the dining hall. Not that she didn't ever indulge herself, but it was quite rare when she did so if there was no one to enjoy it with.

Back in the living room she casually plopped herself onto the left side of the couch after dropping off her load of food. "So, I was thinking we could do the classics, film an overly loud music video and/or montage, watch our favorite movies," She pointed to the box of movies below the T.v. before continuing with what she was saying, "maybe some 'makeup' like old times, good ole' truth or dare, and at some point in the night you could tell me when in the world did you get a brother?" She quirked an eyebrow towards the end, her eyes narrowing slightly. She took a guess that they were siblings seeing that they looked plenty alike but there were a few subtle differences that set them apart. Which was probably why she wasn't suspicious when she first was 'Nat' some months ago, she did see the similarity but that was all. She never quite put two and two together, even when he was telling her about his life.

Not only that, but she was curious to why she's never heard of him much less seen him at the house before today and why he was in Frace. While waiting for an answer she leaned back into the cushions and stretched her legs, wiggling her toes from beneath the gray cloth covering her feet. For one reason or another, she felt herself becoming hot and started to take off her onesie, thankful she wore something cool underneath. "I'll put it back on later but we have a long night ahead of us, can't be sweating already." She said chuckling, balling her onesie up in her fist - or trying to - and throwing it in the corner.

Now that the onesie was off you could see her somewhat matching shirt and shorts beneath. Both were obviously worn/old, the bottoms had a light pink background and a bunch of little elephants dancing around and the top having a completely white background with another simple elephant just below her chest. Ever since she was little she's been in love with elephants, they were always so majestic in her opinion. Her parents thought something was wrong with her when she was little - back then she spent hours watching elephants on Animal Planet - but eventually grew to accept it. Some of her friends even embrace it at this point.

Cyrille glanced at the boxes of chocolates, looking especially wary of the chocolate covered maggots, peeking at the corners as though she was waiting for it to move and break out of the box. She nodded at what she said, putting on a small smile before letting her friend lead the way to the kitchen. She picked up the remaining bags of food left on the countertop, holding/balancing the bowl of salsa dip she made on her hands before she carefully made her way back to the coffee table, depositing the dip first and keeping it away from the corner before she placed down the chips in a neat row. She licked her fingers where the dip dripped over on her way. "I didn't microwave the popcorn yet, 'cause I'm pretty sure nobody likes stale, cold popcorn when watching a movie. Also, I got your favorite ice cream, mine too of course, in case you want some later."

After which, she deposited herself on the bean bag, falling over into a weird position at first before she pulled herself into a more comfortable one. She looked at the box of movies by the television before she nodded, "Of course, that's pretty much our thing now. What are we in for tonight? Drama, comedy, action, romance or horror?" She slightly scrunched her nose at the last one but she tried not to let it show that much. However, her eyes did light up at the mention of make-up so she nodded at that. Truth-or-dare, she looked rather dubious but agreed to it nonetheless. She looked at her, dumbfounded at first as to why she was asking about her brother but then, she realized this would have been the first time they saw each other which made her laugh nervously. "Would you rather know the answer now or do you want me to go fetch Nathaniel so he can tell you himself?" She asked, purposely delaying the answer. She knew exactly why they didn't see each other in the first place but thinking about it now, she couldn't help but to feel a little bit flustered about it.

Deep down, she felt kind of weird talking about her brother which was why she never raised the topic about him in their conversations. She might have slipped and mentioned him a couple of times in passing but that was it. She didn't understand what purpose it held to talk about him in the first place, so unless someone asked about the topic, she would answer the barest minimum but it's a different case with Mei, since she was a close friend, her best friend in fact. She didn't know why she was protective of them both but then realized it was probably harmless information to tell her about him, though it's kind of awkward doing so when he could easily walk on them. She shook it off, waiting for a decision when she remembered something, a childish grin forming on her face, "Speaking of which, I believe you owe me a detailed report about your winter break, especially about that friend of yours. Don't think I didn't notice." Her grin almost morphed into a smirk.

She noticed her friend had taken off her onesie and figured she might as well do the same, revealing an orange shirt two sizes too big for her small body, hanging loosely around, and a pair of floral boxer shorts. She tugged on the neckline of her shirt with a sigh as cool air touched her sweaty skin. She took notice of Mei's sleeping attire and smiled fondly at her, "Where's the star of the show? It can't be an elephant party without Nelly." She pointed out, giggling softly as she was fully aware about her friend's love for elephants. She had sat through a number of elephant documentaries with her and didn't mind at all, asking her numerous questions about them to indulge her.

Last edited:
At the mention of Mei's favorite ice cream, her eyes lit up "Cookies n' cream? yes please," She said chuckling, already knowing that she was - in all likelihood -going to eat the entire container by morning. Listening to Cyrille she nodded as to show she was listening even though her eyes were drifting around the room she's already seen countless of times before. However, even though she was technically listening, Cy didn't fully have her attention until the mention of her brother. After hearing what she had to say Mei couldn't help but let her suspicion grow, what in the world was Cyrille hiding from her? And why? But then again, she wasn't exactly sharing everything herself, but still. It was so unlike her. Crossing her arms over her chests she said simply, "I'd rather hear it from you, now than from a stranger later." Her stomach clenched when she said the word 'stranger' she was very aware of the fact that it was quite simply a lie falling from her lips. The part that made her feel the worse was how easy it was. It shouldn't be this easy for her to lie to her best friend.

However, her stern expression quickly disappeared as Cyrille brought up winter break. She was planning on spilling all of the details at some point tonight but after finding out it was her best friends brother she spent winter break fawning over she couldn't help but feel awkward about it. Still, her bright red cheeks did give it away as she sputtered, "I have no idea what you're talking, and even if I did make a 'friend' in France that's it, just a friend. And even if he wasn't 'just a friend', it happened in an entirely different country." Once again, she got that sick feeling in her stomach but simply chose to push ahead, it was for the best after all. What happened in France stayed in France and that's how it was going to be. So there wasn't really a need to tell her, for all Cy knew Mei and Nathaniel were complete strangers and knew nothing of one another.

At the mention of Nelly, she sprung to her feet and practically pranced over to her bag and unzipped it, pulling out the infamous elephant. "Here's Nelly, I can't believe I almost forgot to take her out!" She said, sounding scandalized by the thought alone. Bending her head and murmuring to the elephant, she said, "I promise I'll never do that again." She proceeded to stroke the stuffed animal's ears and set her down on the couch between her and Cy.

"Anyway, I really need to use the restroom. Can I use the one upstairs so I can go ahead and drop off my toothbrush and stuff?" She walked once again back to her duffle and pulled out a ziplock bag full of the necessities like floss, retainer, face wash etc. Following that bag was her makeup bag, two face mask, and a few other things for later tonight. Even though she didn't really have a problem with wandering the house as she pleased she still felt the need to ask before doing anything, this was technically not her house anymore, even though it was very close.

Cyrille giggled at her friend's enthusiasm. Hearing no response about the choice of movie, she was about to get her attention but thought twice about it when she saw the expression on her face at the mention of her brother. She could see the doubt on her face why she never divulged information about him and she couldn't blame her for it, especially now that she would much rather hear it from her than her brother. It does make sense that way, now that she thought about it. She burrowed herself further into the bean bag, feeling silly about causing this whole ordeal in the first place. She swallowed the lump on her throat before she decided to speak up, "Okay. So here's the thing." She wrung her hands and licked her suddenly dry lips, "The reason why I never mentioned him to you is because... I don't know, I never really saw the point to do so. It was never a topic we talked about. Also, you never saw him around prior to this day, since around the time you would come for sleepovers, he would often be out with his friends or I would at times ask him if he could leave. Now that I think about it, he would often just stay in his room when you were here, like I would be when he had his friends over." She looked down on her toes, "I mean, if you asked, I would have told you about him but it's a pretty awkward thing to bring up on my own, so when you never did, I felt kind of relieved for some odd reason. I never meant to keep him a secret, it just kind of happened." She took a deep breath, feeling slightly winded from speaking.

She snuck a glance at her to check if she was still angry, looking confused to see her blush like a tomato but when she heard her words, she turned into a little devil with a grin on her face, "It sure doesn't look like you don't know what I'm talking about." She had a slight teasing lilt in her voice. Her eyes widened when she mentioned that one line that got her even more curious, "Ooh, more than a friend AND a boy at that, huh. All the more reason you should tell me. You said it yourself, it happened in another country so the chances you and that guy would meet again are slim." She tilted her head to and fro, almost like a curious cat. For the span of their friendship, she could count in her hand how many times her friend had mentioned something about a boy, so as much as possible, she took the chance she could get. A soft smile formed on her face as she waited for her friend to open up.

She laughed a bit when the girl went to get her stuffed animal. "You better apologize to her, especially with her favorite treats." She poked the elephant on its nose. She had grown accustomed to her presence in their friendship. "Hello, Nelly." She gave her a small wave, playing with the elephant's ears and trunk when Mei settled her down. She almost placed her on her lap but decided otherwise.

When Mei asked to go to the restroom, she waved it off, "Sure thing, you know your way around. I'm just going to stay here and chill with Nelly for a little bit, isn't that right?" She gently picked up the elephant and lifted it up, turning it to face her then Mei with a light giggle. "You know, you don't really need to ask permission. You've been here for how many years already, that it's practically your house. Besides, I trust you." She smiled at her.

Meanwhile, Nathaniel was lounging on his bed, watching a movie from the television affixed on the wall. He tugged on the neckline of his shirt, feeling the warmth, 'Maybe I should have told them I was getting home sooner so they could have at least installed the air conditioning in my room.' He thought to himself with a frown. A few minutes later, he wasn't able to take it so he sat up, snatching his towel off the back of his door and swung it over his shoulder. 'Those girls wouldn't go upstairs now, would they? I'll just take a quick shower.' With that thought, he made his way out his room and into the hallway leading to the bathroom at the end of the hall.

Once he got there, he checked the door if it was locked. Seeing that it wasn't, he opened the door and stepped inside, feeling the cool tiles under his feet before he pulled it in, not knowing that it didn't fully close all the way. With his back to the door, he held the hem of his shirt and pulled it over his head, glancing at his reflection as he thought back to the elephant girl downstairs, 'Seriously, what were the odds that the girl I met in France was my sister's best friend?' He splashed his face in the sink, running a hand through his hair before he rested his hand on the sides of the sink and took a deep breath. 'Well then, it's a good thing I never mentioned about her to Cyrille...'

Last edited:
Mei nodded at her friend's response, deciding not to push her too hard and take what she gave her. She worried that if she pushed Cyrille too much it had the potential to ruin their night together, which was the last thing she wished upon them. Tonight was supposed to be fun. "Alrighty, thanks for telling me." To lighten the mood she shot her a crooked grin and pulled a silly face. Even if she did want to ask more questions her top priority was always to make her friend happy, not matter what. However, even though the explanation sort of made sense, it was still really weird and made her somewhat uneasy. She's been here countless times, which is why it confused her to why Nathaniel always managed to be out of the house or hiding when she was here. That and the fact that he hadn't noticed her, she wasn't exactly quiet.

She let out an exasperated sigh, she didn't really want to do this but if she left Cy hanging she would become suspicious. Or upset. Either way, neither of them would be happy. "Okay, okay, so as you know I went to France with my parents over winter break. Then one morning I went out by myself to a local cafe for some breakfast and I ran into this guy. You could say we hit it off because we spent most of my trip hanging out but I swear, nothing happened. We didn't kiss, hold hands or anything of the sort." She hoped she gave enough information to satisfy her friend because she didn't really want to lie to her more than she already had. Given, she didn't tell Cy about that one time they almost kissed, but that was only because she didn't want to rile her all up over nothing. Which is exactly what it was, nothing. It was silly, really. A soft smile covered her face as Cy interacted with Nelly, it was one of the many things she loved about her. Most people found her antics weird but not Cy, she always joined her. She made her feel normal.

"Right, right, I forget," Mei said, heading over to the stairs "I'll be back in a minute, feel free to chat with Nelly while I'm gone!" she called over her shoulder before hopping up the stairs, almost tripping maybe one. It wasn't often she came upstairs, the girls tended to keep their shenanigans downstairs but she did come up here often enough to now her way around. Even though she did sometimes get some of the doors mixed up, they all looked the same after all. White with silver doorknobs. Wandering over to the bathroom, she heard water running from behind the door. Still not used to anyone but her and Cy being there her nose wrinkled in confusion.

Deciding that it was nothing, she pushed her way inside - quietly singing "Do You Hear The People Sing?" from Les Miserables, one of her favorite songs oddly enough. She often found herself - wether she realized it or not - singing it quietly to herself as she went throughout her day. That's when she noticed that she wasn't alone, looking up from the floor her eyes widened at the sight of Nathaniel. A topless Nathaniel. Her face a bright scarlet and she awkwardly cleared her throat. "Sorry, I should've knocked first." She mumbled, wanting nothing more than to run back downstairs.

Last edited:
Cyrille let out a sigh in relief when Mei decided not to prod her further about the issue. She was already beginning to contemplate that the night might become sour if they started it with something like a heated discussion, which was frankly not what she had in mind their reunion would turn out to be. She eased up on her posture, starting to feel the tension on her back from sitting too straight, "No problem." She was well aware that although she told Mei the truth, it was only half of the story. As much as she wanted to, she can't tell her the entirety because it was never really hers to tell in the first place. It would simply be rude to the parties involved. This was part of the reason she preferred that her brother would be the one to explain his disappearance in the first place. She feared that she might say too much. Noticing that her friend pulled a silly face, she laughed out loud. Mei really knew how to get her out of a slump, especially if it was self-induced. She put on a small smile to reassure her friend that they were fine.

Once she heard the girl's exasperated sigh, she worried that she might have overstepped her boundaries and considered taking back her initial statement. Her eyebrows knitted for a bit in worry but when she heard Mei tell her about her experience in France, she tucked her legs in front of her, resting her chin on top of her knees as she listened intently to her story, almost like a child with the wonderstruck expression on her face. She was about to open to her mouth to call out the missing details that she wasn't telling her but lightly bit her lip to stop herself, fighting her curiosity. Her friend respected her decision about her brother, she figured she might as well do the same thing for Mei about her winter rendezvous with the man she met in France. For some odd reason, her mind flew back to her older brother who was studying in France around that time and wondered if there was a chance that Nathaniel and Mei met each other there but seeing as they didn't greet each other when they met at the door and the fact that France was a pretty decently sized country, she figured that would be impossible. She shook off her thoughts and gave her friend a soft smile, "Okay, if you say that nothing happened between you and the mystery guy, then I'll believe you. But I take it you did have fun in your visit in the city of lights, right?" She covered Nelly's eyes with her ears before quickly uncovering them in a peek-a-boo fashion.

She raised one of Nelly's front legs and made it wave at Mei, giggling softly as Mei made her way upstairs, "Okay then, I'll keep this little munchkin out of trouble while you're out." She jokingly said. Once her friend was out of earshot, she lifted the stuffed elephant from her lap and leveled it to her face, "I'm doing the right thing by not asking too much, right Nels?" She whispered to the elephant, gently squeezing its stomach. She sighed, blowing on her bangs before she placed down the plushie back on the couch and stood up. She picked up the box of movies beside the television and decided to narrow down the selection of movies they would check out so when Mei comes back, they could get started on their regularly scheduled program.

From being out of the house for quite some time now, Nathaniel had forgotten how much the wooden staircase hinted at a person's arrival. Previously somewhat of a reckless child who comes home late from a friend's house, he had experienced being ratted out by the slightest creaks on the staircase quite a few times in his life especially since the master's bedroom was the closest one there. Which was why he had learned to be a bit more stealthy, going in and out of his window at night and through the fire exit on the far side of the house as soon as he reached high school. He chuckled at the memory and ruffled his hair, keeping his hand there for a bit before letting go and stepping away from the sink. 'Those were some of my finest moments. Good times.' He thought to himself with a fond expression.

His mind however was interrupted by the faint sound of a familiar song, growing closer to where he was until finally, the door opened, revealing Mei who was not clad in an elephant onesie anymore but was still wearing something elephant themed nonetheless which he found rather cute on her. "Ah, À la volonté du peuple. Never thought you were a Les Misèrables kind of girl." He murmured softly, recognizing the tune of the song which apparently made her realize that she was in fact not alone in the bathroom. He watched in amusement as she floundered about upon realizing that he was there, lightly chuckling at her scarlet face that made him kind of want to tease her. However, he decided to ease up on that for now, "It's fine, don't worry about it. To be honest, I don't think there would have been any difference, had you decided to knock anyways. It's my fault for leaving the door unlocked." He shrugged, thinking that it wasn't such a big deal.

Last edited:
Mei felt relief wash over her when Cyrille didn't push her for more details on her randevú to France. "Yeah, it was so beautiful there, I think I might just go back there one day." She paused and chuckled before adding, "Maybe we can go together one day,' She pondered out loud, knowing that if they did go together they'd have a hoot. But then again, maybe not. Costa Rica sounded more like them in all honesty. They always did plan on going on a trip together, heck this summer was a perfect opportunity to do so.

It took a minute or two but she did manage to school her features and calm the redness in her face. After maybe a second too long of this, she was back to her normal easy going self and raised a 'playful' eyebrow at him. "Pourquoi bien sûr. It's one of my favorites." She responded, leaning casually against the door frame as he talked, her eyes fixed on his face. Mei was what one could, and would call and open book, meaning, that if he was paying attention Nathaniel could easily see the mistrust in her eyes as she watched him. It wasn't his fault necessarily and it disappeared quickly, but that didn't change the fact that it was there. Him just being there reminded her of the time they spent together which for some off reason always managed to tug at her heart, even though they only ever were friends."I guess you're right." She nodded in acceptance before pushing off the doorframe and walking deeper into the bathroom to do what she came here to do. "Anyway, I just came here to drop off a few things, so I'll be out of your hair in a minute or two" she shook the two zip lock bags as to show him.

The bathroom wasn't that big, but it was just big enough that Mei could easily step around him without any physical contact. Which she was thankful for, him being here was still unreal for her. He still wasn't real yet. At least not here, in her mind he was still in France sitting in the cafe reading as she cracked bad jokes trying to make him smile. But here he was. Standing before her and clearly real. Shaking herself from her own thoughts she set the two bags down somewhere where they'd take up the least amount of space and be less of an inconvenience. As she arranged them her mouth started moving on its own and before she knew it she was speaking. "You know, I could've sworn that I told you that I love Les Miserables a while ago." She managed to shut herself up before she mentioned the fact that they saw it together on her birthday and that because of him it was one of her favorite birthdays of all time. (which just happened to be three days before Christmas). It was all so stupid and she was angry at herself for even bringing it up in the first place. This was Cyrille's brother.

Brushing it off, she stepped away from the counter and headed back to the door, wanting to, in a sense, escape. Instead, she forced herself to stop at the threshold and look over her shoulder to say, "It was great seeing you again, a little unexpected but still great." She hesitated before leaving, almost as if she didn't want to or if she had something else to say but ended up leaving anyway - not looking back. This summer is going to suck.

Downstairs again, she snuck up behind Cy and yelled "Boo!" trying to scare her unsuspecting friend.

Cyrille clapped her hands together and held it under her chin, looking rather enamored as she imagined the sceneries she knew was in Paris. The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Champ Elysses... The possibilities were simply endless. “Sure, I'll take you up on that offer. I'd love to see the sights there for myself, because all I know from it was secondhand information. But it doesn't necessarily have to be France 'cause I'm fine anywhere as long as we can have fun.” Excitement shone in her eyes, just thinking about the places they could go to. She had always been the type to get lost in places but for her, it was simply an adventure just waiting to happen. She lightly squealed in glee at the thought.

Nathaniel looked anywhere but at Mei, waiting for the girl to shake off the blush and poise herself, which was also for his own benefit because he was tempted to touch and hug her for being too damn adorable as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. He cleared his throat before sneaking a glance at her after a short moment and finding that she was back to her usual self. Or at least he had initially thought. From their brief time together, he had learned just where to look in order to know what she was really running in her mind, so much so he could practically sense the distrust in her eyes even if she wasn't saying anything. He paused for a bit, his eyes slightly darkened with sadness but he kept his smile, albeit slightly crooked. “So I've been told.“ He replied, looking down for a moment as he willed it away before meeting her eyes for a brief moment as memories from their time together in France flashed before his eyes. He glanced away and remained quiet as he half-listened to what she said afterwards, the words barely getting to him.

When she had mentioned having to place a few of her stuff in the bathroom, he barely spared her a glance with a slight nod as he stepped further away from the sink and made himself scarce, keeping silent as he watched her movement while he dropped his hands and hooked his thumbs on his belt loops. He noticed how she made sure to avoid brushing skin with him, to which he was both annoyed and thankful for, especially when a particular memory crossed his mind, namely the almost kiss. Thinking about how much he had to go through to convince himself that she was just but a sweet, distant winter memory, only for all that effort to crumble to ashes and blown away when he found her at his door a while ago... it was simply all too surreal.

He snapped out his thoughts when he heard her speak to him, looking at her through her reflection in the mirror with an intense expression. `Like hell I could forget that. What do you honestly take me for?` He wanted to say but he held his tongue, instead clenching and unclenching his hand into a fist. He pressed his tongue to his cheek as he thought about his words before she could change the subject, “Actually, you did. I took you out to see it that exact night since you felt sad that you wouldn`t be able to follow through with the birthday tradition you do with your friend, right?“ He said with a soft smile, knowing now that she was pertaining to Cyrille. “We were even able to meet the characters shortly after the show.” He tilted his head to the side, knowing fully well what she was talking about and more. At first, he didn`t know why she looked so down on the dumps while talking to somebody over the phone that day on the cafe they frequented when he heard her apologizing for breaking tradition.

Hurt crossed his expression when she made her way to the door, feeling utterly confused why she was being cold to him when he knew he did nothing to upset her. When she stopped by the door, his face hinted nothing as he put on a hollow smile and raised a hand, gently waving at her, “Likewise, hope you enjoy the rest of the night, chica.“ He murmured to her retreating figure, failing to realize the pet name that slipped from his lips before closing the door, this time locking it. He pressed his back to the door, his expression stirring up a storm, 'Seems like this summer is going to be one hell of a ride. Fuck.' He thought to himself, stepping away from the door and shrugging off his pants. He turned the shower on, standing under the water with hot water pelting his cool skin.

Cyrille was reading the plot on the back of a romantic comedy movie when her friend had yelled. She screamed in surprise, jumping in her place and dropping the case from terror. She looked at the source, which happened to her friend, and softly glared at her with a childish pout, “Hey, that wasn`t very nice.“ She then broke into an even more childish grin before giggling.

Last edited:
Just watching him hurt her, which was ridiculous seeing that she was the one pushing him away, so she didn't really have the right to feel hurt. Why she was even doing this to him - to them both actually, Mei couldn't understand, but that didn't change the fact that she was. Looking up and seeing the brief sadness she saw clouding his eyes made it clear that her actions hurt him just as much if not more than it hurt her. I'm sorry she wanted to say, immediately feeling guilty for being the cause of his shift in mood. But it was too late, the damage was done and she was going to deal with it like the grown up she tried to be (Even though she often failed). No matter how much she thought it sucked and how stupid it was.

Watching carefully for his reaction she was, to say the least, surprised. She expected him to be aloof like her, but she should've known better if she learned anything about him from their time spent together. It was quite clear that her comment managed to get to him, which was - even if she wouldn't acknowledge it - her intention. Numerous emotions and memories washed over her in crashing waves as he spoke, weakening her outer shell meant to protect her and her heart. Even though her 'shell' was pretty useless, and he was already managing to crack it she still stubbornly clung to it like a lifeline. "You're right," She paused, mentally debating on if she should speak again, eventually coming up with a decision, she opened her mouth, "Thanks again, I had a lot of fun." Clearing her throat, as to chase away the emotions threatening to swallow her whole she looked away - unable to look at him.

Mei was headed out when she just managed to catch what he said, a small smile forcing its way to the surface. Almost everything he did made her want to smile, or it used to. Besides Cyrille, no one could make her laugh as much as him. She admittedly missed this, a lot actually. Yet here she was doing everything to avoid getting close to him again. He was the same person, just in a different location, yet she found it harder to open up to him and trust him. Maybe it was because of what Cy mentioned earlier when answering her question about Nathaniel, but even if it was that was still a pretty lame excuse to be mean to the poor guy.

Everything Nathaniel related was pushed to the back of her mind as she watched her friend pout. Something about Cy always cheered her up and made her forget about all of her problems. Wrapping her in a hug and resting her chin on her shoulder she apologized, "I'm sorry, I won't do it again." Pulling away, Mei plopped back down on the couch and looked at the movie in Cyrille's hand. "Wanna watch that? I can make the popcorn," She said, standing up to go to the kitchen.

With all that has transpired, Nathaniel was hurt and most of all, confused. This was not how he pictured he would spend his third day back in America after three years. He didn't exactly understood what made Mei act the way she did now. Aside from the mishap in the front door, he was sure he did nothing to upset her so why the hell did she change from being the girl he met back in France to a complete stranger in just a short while? Did it have something to do with what happened to them back in France? How would he be able to fix this if she wouldn't even tell him what their problem was in the first place? Questions filled in his mind that it was starting to make him feel frustrated, both with himself and the world. He wanted to be angry at Mei for being too difficult but he couldn't find it in himself to do so since his will to understand her was stronger than that. Deep down, he knew he just needs to give her time to figure herself out.

He was usually good at hiding his emotions if it was really necessary but the whole thing came him offguard so much so he wasn't able to reel it all back this time around. He was aware she was pushing him away and shutting him out for a reason only she knew but judging from the fact that they were okay before he came upstairs, he figured it might have something more to do between the girls, his mind suddenly flying to the great lengths his sister went through to keep him out of the house just so they could have the place to themselves and provide a safe space for their secrets, not that he would have really cared at that time. As he watched her expression when he spoke about their time together, he knew she was hurting herself too by going along with her plan. His hands slightly shook in restraint, wanting to reach out to her but he firmly held his ground. He couldn't let his urges get the better of him, not until he finds out what's really going on so he let her walk away without another word.

Standing under the stream of water, he took a deep breath and sighed, letting himself fall numb to the world for a bit before he slowly switched it to a cooler setting and quickly went about his shower routine. He turned it off after quite some time, patting himself dry with his towel and shaking off the water from his hair before he wrapped it around his waist, making his way to his bedroom. Once there, he went straight to his closet, taking the first things he could find and wearing them, before he went to the master's bedroom. According to Cyrille, their parents were out of the country for a business trip and wouldn't be coming home for a week so seeing as there was still four days, he saw no harm in just chilling there for a bit.

Cyrille huffed her cheeks and looked away, acting like a petulant child who wouldn't accept her friend's apology before she grinned widely at her after a moment, "It's okay, I forgive you." She picked up the case from the floor, plopping down beside her friend and resting her head on the backrest. She looked down on the movie in her movie and flipped it back to the front, glancing at Mei. "Yeah, I never got around to seeing it to the end since I would often collapse from the exhaustion of that day." When she heard her mention about popcorn, she nodded, "White cheddar, please." She chirped, standing up to set up the movie while she waited for her friend to come back from the kitchen. She yawned to the back of her hand, lightly pinching her cheek, 'No... I can't be sleepy yet...' She thought to herself with a slight frown.

Last edited:
Mei smiled, happy her friend accepted her apology. Even though she knew Cyrille wasn't really mad at her it still made her nervous, an upset Cyrille was not something one should face alone. Chuckling at the thought, she nodded and headed into the kitchen - finding the popcorn and putting it in the microwave. Looking out the window, but still listening to the popcorn to make sure it didn't burn she absentmindedly fidgeted with a charm bracelet around her wrist. A feeling of serenity and nostalgia fell over her as she let herself reminisce before finally catching herself just as she was about to fall. Both literally and figuratively. While in thought she managed to loose her balance and just saved herself from falling onto the floor. "C'mon Mei, get your head out of the clouds. It's not good for you." The popping in the background slowly started to cease which caused Mei to spring into action and open the microwave to reveal perfectly popped popcorn peeking through the opening in the bag. It was something she prided herself on. The ability to properly pop popcorn without burning it like Cyrille often did.

Standing on her tippy toes she reached up on the top shelf and grabbed some white cheddar seasoning for Cyrille, it was her favorite. They always put it on their popcorn. Pouring the popcorn into the bowl and sprinkling seasoning on top she made sure to clean up after herself before exiting the kitchen, turning off lights in the kitchen and hallway as she went. "So wasteful," she mumbled, shaking her head. Back in the living room she caught her friend's yawn and chuckled out loud "Don't fall asleep on me little one." She said in a sing-song voice, sitting the popcorn in front of them and looking to the T.V after popping a piece into her mouth. She had to admit, it was delicious.

As the movie started she settled into the couch, leaning on Cyrille and hugging Nelly to her chest. The light coming from the T.V reflected on her face in the darkness of the room, triggering memories of countless nights they've done this exact thing. And Cy always ended falling asleep within the first thirty or so minutes. It was adorable. If she seemed tired enough Mei let her sleep but if there were things to do she would sometimes wake her up. Watching the movie she couldn't help but roll her eyes at certain parts. 'You're the only one for me. I love you so much. I don't care what you've done or what you'll do, I love you. I always will and I always have.' She mimicked, chuckling quietly to herself. She thought it was all very over dramatic but either way, she did find herself crying at a part or two. "Damnit!" She whispered, reaching for a tissue and wiping her eyes dry. Always such a softie Mei.

Glancing at Cy she shook her head and stood, she was already fast asleep. Sighing, Mei stood and fetched a blanket, draping it over her snoring friend. Tucking her in, she shut off the T.V and cleaned up the small mess they managed to make. "I'm like her mom," She mused, chuckling. She didn't mind though, not in the slightest but she found it to be normal at this point. They both cared for each other and did the occasional 'babying' but tucking Cyrille into bed was Mei's job. Always had been, always will be. Running a hand through her hair she looked around the dark room, her eyes just starting to adjust. What the hell am I going to do now?

Once Cyrille had successfully set up the movie, she pressed the pause button before she walked back to the couch, tucking her legs under her chin as she rocked herself to and fro while she waited for her friend to come back with their popcorn. She chewed on the inside of her cheek, as she tried to keep her eyes open and recalled what happened in the movie. A girl, unlucky in love, goes to her younger sister's shotgun wedding in Rome, who picks up a number of things from the so-called fountain of love which led to a series of complicated events. She could at least remember that much because she would often fall asleep when the time comes where the relationship between the girl and the main man was at its peak. She was determined to change that tonight. She told herself she was going to finish this movie tonight or so God help her... She will not eat ice cream for three days. She couldn't put too much of a bet when she was well aware that the odds were against her. For all she is, she was not going down without a fight.

The smell of freshly made popcorn reached her nose, snapping her out of her mental tirade. She was relieved that she let Mei make the popcorn or else, it's going to smell like burnt popcorn here for the rest of the night. She peered from behind the couch as the light for the kitchen and the hallway had been shut off, shortly followed by her friend, holding a bowl of white cheddar popcorn. She let out a soft giggle, "Don't worry, I'll try to stay up longer this time." She assured her before she took a piece of popcorn and placed it in her mind, lightly humming as the mild saltiness coated her mouth. She sat crisscross applesauce on the sofa, placing a pillow on her lap before she pressed play.

Needless to say, she was able to further her progress, reaching the point of the movie where the lady had realized that the man really did love her without all the magical voodoo by the fountain of love, before her eyes finally closed as she succumbed the cruel mistress of time. She shifted her neck into a more comfortable position on the backrest, with one hand resting by the bowl of popcorn and the pillow on her lap long forgotten on the floor. She took a deep breath, finally accepting that her stubbornness was not enough to triumph over sleep. Her head slowly slid down to the couch's armrest, her face crumpling a bit as she stirred before she turned. If there was one thing to know about Cy, it is that the fact that she sleeps like a log when she's genuinely tired. Fussing over everything so it could be perfect for night was a ton of work, especially for just one girl. Feeling something drape over her body from the deep recesses of her mind, she held the hem and pulled it over her head like a child, even when asleep. She murmured a drowsy thanks to her friend before falling deeper to sleep.

In the middle of the night, it was then Nathaniel realized that he had not eaten anything for dinner since he didn't want to cause a scene downstairs, especially concerning their visitor whom he still couldn't figure out what he did wrong to. Seeing as Cyrille never came up or called him over the span of the night, he could pretty much figure that she didn't know that they knew each other prior to tonight. He didn't get why Mei never told her about what happened between the two of them, he thought that girls like to share that kind of stuff but he guessed he had thought wrong. He shrugged, figuring that he might as well make his trip quick and took his headphones, turning the music on his cellphone as a familiar intro started playing in his ears. He went out of the bedroom, gently closing the door behind him before he descended the stairs. He didn't spare the couch a glance and slightly frowned at the darkness leading to the kitchen but didn't mind it and went on.

He turned on the light by the countertop before he decided to look for something to eat in the fridge. He found some leftover seafood paella they had for lunch yesterday which was in a microwavable tupperware and so, he popped in the microwave, setting it for three minutes. While waiting, he slightly sat on the countertop and decided to flip through his phone for a bit. His thumb brushed against the gallery, which was half filled with pictures of the slideshow presentations from spring and decided to erase those. He lazily scrolled through the others when he stumbled upon a photo of them from winter break.

Last edited:
Trying to feel her way about of the living room she knocked over the bowl of popcorn. "Dang it," She muttered, careful not to wake the sleeping Cyrille. Picking up the half empty bowl, Mei wondered back to the kitchen so she could throw it away. Now I have to find the vacuum and clean it up, even if it probably won't wake Cy it's still going to be a pain in the butt. Pouting as she thought, she walked into the kitchen she opened one of the drawers and pulled out a ziplock bag. "Stupid popcorn," She muttered, pouring what was left in a plastic bag - but not before stuffing a handful into her mouth and swallowing. When Mei was upset she did one of two things, cry, or eat herself to oblivion. It seems that she chose the latter, turning around her eyes widened slightly at the sight of Nathaniel. "Ah, sorry. I didn't realize you were here," She said, somewhat embarrassed. He did just catch her mumbling to herself and stuffing her face. Not typically something a girl would want a boy seeing.

At a loss for words, she carried on with what she was doing - pretending he wasn't there - and closed the zip lock bag, opening up a cabinet and putting it inside, they would attend to that later. She proceeded to cross the room, glancing once in his direction - there was something in her eyes, but it was blurred in with too many other things no one would be able to tell what it was, even Nathaniel. Once on the other side of the room she opened the closet and bent down - looking for the vacuum "Ah, here it is." She muttered, pulling it out. "I spilled some popcorn on the ground." Her eyes met his as she spoke and even when she stopped talking she didn't look away, something was telling her not to even though her brain screamed at her to do otherwise. She eventually broke eye contact and felt a small piece of her break along with it. It was written clearly on her face, she missed him. She missed him so damn much that it drove her insane, but she couldn't indulge herself in such things. There were too many things about him she didn't know, too many things that made her want to learn about the things she wanted to know about him. It was crazy. She was crazy. He wasn't supposed to be here, yet here he was.

She was about to turn to leave but instead decided to say "Cyrille fell asleep," Her features relaxed slightly at the thought of a sleeping Cy. "She crashed halfway through the movie, like always." A small laughed escaped her, it carried some leftover sadness yet she continued anyway, talking helped distract her, "Anyway, I know she sleeps like a log but waking her up would be a bad idea." She says, remembering how every time she woke up Cy she was always grumpy and refused to get out of bed/off the couch. She was nervous, forcing small talk with him was not something she did on a regular basis or ever imagined she'd do. Her hand reached down to her bracelet to fidget with it, a new habit she picked up after coming home. Being near him was too much for her, she wanted to scream, cry, and hug him all at the same time but she couldn't do any of them. Each one would just do more damage than was already done.

Hot tears pooled in her eyes as she slowly, then quickly started to break, "Um, I better go clean up the spilled popcorn," Her voice was hoarse and her words didn't match her words as she stood still. Move, Mei. Stop being an emotional wreck and for once don't cry. She yelled at herself, which only urged on the tears threatening to fall. You can't do this, you have no right to. You made the decision for things to be like this so live with it. Suck it up Mei and Live with it. You're beeing selfish and childish. You're going to hurt him. So leave. Just pretend he's not here and deal with it. But she didn't want to, she wanted to be able to look Nathaniel in the eyes without feeling like her heart was breaking, and she wanted to stop treating him like a stranger. It hurt her. It hurt him. She was just bringing misery upon both of them. "I'm sorry," She whispered, her voice barely audible as she turned to escape. Escape him. Escape the emotions threatening to destroy her. Mei wasn't built to be able to handle this.

Last edited:
Cyrille stayed in her position as she remained blissfully unaware of what was happening around her. All she knew was she was walking on clouds which then caused candies to fall out of the sky. She heard something fall and peered from underneath, watching as a huge three tier cake was free falling. She bravely jumped from the cloud and dove towards the cake with her arms spread wide. A soft smile traced her lips as she stretched out in the couch, taking a sideways starfish formation with one arm draping over the backrest while the other touched the ground. "Nuu... dun leave meh." She drowsily murmured as her forehead scrunched a little before rolling on her stomach, further tangling herself in the blankets.

Nathaniel remained quiet, his mind and expression the epitome of a blank slate as he looked at the goofy expressions they had on the photos. Where did those smiles go? Did they stay back in France? He scrolled through a few more photos, going through memory lane as he did which made his heart hurt from nostalgia as it went on. He missed those moments and he could only wonder where those memories went. His thumb stopped at the first ever photo he had of her, with the interior of the cafe as the backdrop. This was something he took when she wasn't looking, a carefree smile on her face as she watched something out the window, holding her warm drink up, about to take a sip of her hot cocoa. He lifted his thumb, hovering it over the trash icon on his phone as he considered deleting all evidence of her and purge his system off her this time for good but then his headphones beeped thrice, a sign that it was low on batteries. It was then he was made aware that he was not alone in the kitchen, if the hairs standing on the back of his neck was not a dead giveaway. He locked his phone and pulled the headphones down to rest on his neck. He was confused as to why she was apologizing to him so he just gave her a noncommittal shrug.

The timer on the microwave has long elapsed from now but he couldn't care less at the moment. He stayed where he was, pretending that the way she ignored him didn't affect him in any way but really, he was crushed. He saw the mist in her eyes when she looked at him as she talked about spilled popcorn, unable to decipher it but he could only assume that it got to her too. He kept her gaze, waiting for her to open up but it seemed that she had realized what she had done and looked away from him. He gritted his teeth, his chin tightening as he fought not to say anything. He missed her so damn much but he knew he couldn't say it. Not now when she seemed upset with him. His time with her was like a dream that he never wanted to wake up from, but sadly, reality came crashing through their door and she had to go back to America for her studies. When he saw her off the airport, he considered never letting go and boarding that plane with her, not only for the chance to stay together a bit longer although it was a perk, but also because he wanted to come home to see his family. However, he didn't want to be selfish and drop everything just like that. 'Was it actually a wrong choice in my part to go back home this summer?' He thought to himself as his grip over his phone tightened considerably, his head hung low.

He looked at her through his bangs when she mentioned that his younger sister had fallen asleep in the middle of the movie again. He gave a forced chuckle, sounding empty. "Typical Cyrille. It makes me think why she even bothers watching a movie when she knows she wouldn't be able to finish it." He murmured. When she worried about waking her up, he straightened up and glanced over to the couch when he knew the brunette was sleeping at, "I'll just bring her upstairs later. That's pretty much what I have been doing these past few days anyways so it's not really a big deal anymore. Better that than have her whining about backache tomorrow morning..." He trailed off, his eyes drawn to the charms held by a silver chain bracelet. 'So after all this time, she really did hang on to it.'

His heart welled up, knowing that she kept it with for all these months, only to feel like somebody stabbed it with a knife then wiggled it about shortly after when he saw the glassiness that befell her eyes. He stayed where he was, unable to do anything as his body grew colder with every single word she spoke, he could feel a piece of him break into a million pieces. She sounded so broken up that he wanted to hold her and shield her from this world but he knew he couldn't as he gripped the sides of the countertop, his knuckles turning white from the force he was putting into it. What are you waiting for? Don't just sit there like an idiot and do something. He could hear his conscience scream at him, his legs bouncing in place as they reared to move. He noticed how hard she refused to look at him, as if he was the source of her pain. If that were the case, then he didn't want to make things harder for her. Are you stupid, crazy or all of the above? Are you really just going to let her go like this again without putting up a fight? If you let her go now, you would be regretting this your whole life so I suggest you grow some balls and fight back for once in your life. Hearing her pain-filled apology as she turned away from him, he had finally given into his thoughts, "Fuck this." He muttered under his breath, jumping up to his feet and rushing towards her. Before she could even cross the threshold between the kitchen and the hallway, he had wrapped an arm around her waist and made her face him before pulling her into a hug. "You can push me, scratch me or whatever the hell you want, if you really don't want me to do this and I'll let you go." He murmured softly to her. "But I'll ask you for one last favor. Tell me to my face that you hate me and you will never see me ever again." He could feel a piece of him die when he said that but if that would be all that it takes to make her happy, then he'll do it without any questions asked.

Last edited:
Mei was planning on running out and never looking back. Maybe never even talking to him again or looking him in the eyes, in her mind it was a good plan. A safe plan. Or at least, one that would work until she went away again back to and didn't have to endure the pain of seeing him. Whilst in the middle of trying to convince herself that things would work out, she sucked in a breath - feeling a warm arm wrap around her waist and pull her so she was facing him. Her entire face crumpling at the sight, but only when Nathaniel hugged her did tears fall. Soft sobs escaped her as she opened up the floodgates, unable to hold it back any longer than she already had. Her cheek was pressed against his chest as he buried her in a hug, her arms resting limply at her sides - body still unable to register what was going on as it slowly tried to catch up.

Every word he said felt like a blow to Mei's stomach, he wouldn't be saying these things if she hadn't been so cold before. Did he really think she hated him? That she was ever capable of hating him? This was here doing and the only way to fix it and keep them both from feeling unbearable pain was to open up her heart, set her petty fears aside and let him in. Pulling slightly away, but still, in Nathaniel's arms, she looked up at him - one or two tears streaming down her face as she spoke, "I can't do you that favor, Nathaniel. Becuase if I did, I'd be lying more than I already have today and lying so far has gotten me nowhere." pausing to take a ragged breath she briefly closed her eyes and blinked away the remaining tears, "I don't hate you, I don't and never will have it in me to. And despite what it may seem I do want to see you again. If I were being completely honest I'd say that want to see you every day. I know my actions so far have said otherwise and for that, I am truly sorry, I thought I was protecting us both but clearly, I was doing the opposite," A small, regretful laugh escaped her as she replayed everything she's said and done to him since being here.

"I-I know it's a bit late for me to tell you this and all but every day since leaving you in that airport has been a living hell for me. I've missed you so damn much and when you just showed up here out of the blue I freaked out. I didn't know why you were here, or how to react. I wanted to be happy, and I guess I was but I was also really scared as lame as that sounds. While in France we spent a lot of time together and I was really, genuinely happy and I liked you a lot but I wasn't scared because I knew it wouldn't last long so there wasn't any pressure for the future. It was almost like a dream. A perfect dream without consequences. But I guess I was wrong because as soon as I saw you all of the emotions I've been suppressing came rushing back and I guess I wasn't prepared for them. So I tried to ignore them, and clearly, it didn't work out. Every time I pushed you away it broke my heart, I could tell I was hurting you," Sniffling, she wiped away her eyes as they teared up again, "And I really don't like hurting you. I'm so, so sorry that I hurt you. That I've ever caused you pain. That I didn't stay good to my word and do what I said I'd do in my letter." She laughed bitterly "If I weren't such a coward I would've said a cheesy pickup line and maybe we wouldn't have had to deal with this nonsense."

Balling her fist up and resting her forehead on his chest she softly uttered another "I'm sorry." Even though she knew she didn't deserve his forgiveness let alone his kindness she gave him a hug of her own, she missed him so much. Her eyes slowly closing as she relaxed her tense body Him being so near yet so far away killed her, even if it was her own doing. Finally looking back up her eyes showed her fondness for him that was previously buried beneath a herd of negative emotions. "I really, really wish we could go back in time so we could've avoided this, but please forgive me. I promise I'll never block you out and for as long as possible I keep you happy and be there when you aren't." She murmured, studying his familiar features. The very features she spent the first three days of her trip to France looking out for, hoping to see. Now, not to sound creepy or anything but before they technically met she spotted him three days earlier. It was December 15th, maybe two in the afternoon and she had just arrived earlier that morning. After unpacking, she made the decision to wonder on her own to admire the buildings when she saw him. He was in the middle of a conversation with another young fellow - presumably his friend - and had the biggest smile on his face. That's when she decided that one way or another she was going to talk to him, at some point at least. Two days later she managed to see him consistently and like a ghost, one moment he was there then he was gone. At times she found herself doubting if he was real or not but that Monday morning they met she knew her initial judgment was correct. He was a saint, at least in her eyes and he had the best smile. His smile made you want to smile, even if you weren't happy. For his sake, and eventually, you smiled on your own. For yourself, because he was just too damn perfect for you not to and his smile too sweet.

"It may not seem like it but I'm so, so fucking happy you're here." Laughing - a genuine one this time - she said, "I thought I'd never see you again, I thought you were going to be a distant memory that I'd hold onto. Hoping one day we'd find each other again. I just wasn't it expecting it to be so soon."

Last edited:
Nathaniel did not know what came over him when he pulled her into him. All he knew was that the moment she stepped out the kitchen, he knew in his mind that they would never be the same again and the mere thought of that nearly tore him to shreds. It was like he was swimming on the sea while on autopilot as the world blurred around them and he could not see anyone or anything but the girl in his arms. He looked down on the top of her head, silence engulfing the dimly lit kitchen as he prepared himself for the absolute worst, barely breathing with his body wound up too tight that he was well aware that the next words that were to come out of her lips could make or break him. He expected to be pushed away, saying the words that he dreaded to hear with such spite and potent venom that he closed his eyes, painstakingly awaiting his fate... but it never came as he felt warm dampness on his shirt, followed by soft sobs which cut deeper at his core.

He lifted the hand which was around her shoulders and moved it towards the top of her head, lightly stroking her hair as he tried to soothe her. He felt like a jerk for having thought negatively about her, but seeing her look at him like he was the epitome of her sufferings got to him. He would usually put up a strong, nonchalant facade, making it seem that the stares and the words never got to him but in the end, he was just human, he could only take so much hits before he breaks and it just so happened that the first thing that came to mind was that she hated him. He took a deep breath, swallowing the lump on his throat and glancing up as he could feel the warmth behind his eyes before he met her eyes. He wiped the tears that rolled down on her flushed cheeks with his thumb, letting her take her time as she spoke her mind. His heart lit up when she told him that she can never hate him, feeling as though a weight was lifted from his chest. He gave her a soft smile, moving the stray locks of hair that was on her face before gently holding her cheek with a hand, "You don't have to apologize 'cause I'm equally as guilty as you are. I'm sorry I made you feel that way. That you had to lie and push me away, and for everything else that I did that caused you pain." He murmured softly. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to assure you that we're okay that you felt the need to do something to protect the both of us. That you thought you had to face all this on your own." His grip over her waist slightly tightened.

He lightly brushed his lips over the crown of her hair, as his eyes fluttered close, "If it still means anything now, there was not one day when I didn't regret not taking the risk and coming back here with you sooner because it broke me to see you go that day and that I wasn't strong enough to do anything about it." He admitted. "All this time, I had myself believe that you were nothing but a sweet dream I had because those days we were together were simply too unreal for me. What's worse is that I wasn't able to come to full terms about how I felt until you were really gone since I thought it was just a fleeting moment, that I was just enamored by the idea of you and the novelty of everything. I thought it will fade eventually, but I was wrong." He opened his eyes, a fond expression on his face as he looked at her. "Because the moment I realized you weren't just a figment of my imagination... I knew I would do anything and everything to keep that smile." He thought about the letter she had sneakily kept in the picture frame. She had been adamant in telling him not to read that until she was gone and when he had gotten around to finally reading it, he wanted nothing but to book the next flight to America and go on a wild search for her so he can show her just how he felt about her.

He wrapped his arm back around her shoulder and gave her a light squeeze, when she apologized to him. "You really have to learn to stop apologizing 'cause no matter what you do, I will never stop forgiving you nor will I ever hate you for it because I know you have your reasons for doing those things." He gently spoke, smiling softly when he felt her relax in his arms and reciprocated his hug. He wanted to preserve this moment in his mind, as their shadows melted into one. He looked down and met her gaze, looking at her with adoration, "Hmmm.. I don't know, I kind of like this development since now, I have an excuse to touch you, but I guess you're right. It can't hurt to change a few things here and there." He laughed a bit, before he gave her a serious expression, "I promise I would cherish the trust you have given me and that I will never give you a reason to doubt what I feel for you because this time, I'm not letting you go that easily, so prepare yourself." His eyes hinted at mischief as his face broke into a goofy grin. His mind went back to the first time they actually interacted in the cafe. His friends had all went home to their families for the break and so, he was all alone when she asked if he has company. A little dubious, he shook his head, not looking up from his book. She had then asked if they could share the table since the others were all occupied. He looked at her, holding a tray with what he assumed was her breakfast before he looked around the cafe to confirm what she said and gestured her to the seat in front of him. He had never expected that fateful encounter would turn into something bigger.

"If somebody had told me that you will end up on my door one day, I probably wouldn't believe it and yet, here you are." He gave her a genuine smile. "Also, I believe I should get back at you for leaving me with a letter like that when you were already a thousand miles away. How do you suppose I go about it?" His smile turned into a mischievous smirk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back