• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom  𝒀𝑼・𝑮𝑬𝑵 ﹚ ic

cwosont

Supporter
Roleplay Availability
fluticasone fluticasone
  yuzhe
"You stand here today for your skill and prowess. Sent by your nation, or recruited by an agent of the White Lotus, you are here for a reason." A grey-haired man addresses a crowd of dozens. Warriors, healers, inventors, some even thieves and crooks. "You will be trained and tested. Only the best of you will be chosen to aid The Order of the White Lotus in our efforts to maintain peace and prosperity in this world. You may not yet understand what this means, but fight hard and you soon will."
The compound in they were brought to resides in a remote area. None who were sent, or recruited, are aware of exactly where they are. All they see is mountains and forest. Secrecy aside, it is beautiful.
"My name is Yuzhe. I will be one of your masters throughout this trial." White, unseeing eyes drift across a sea of faces. "I was once a soldier loyal to the Fire Nation, now I owe my allegiance to the White Lotus and this world."
Spring has begun to emerge, bringing gentle winds and blooming flora to the compound. It is quiet, perhaps even serene. Far removed from the noise of any city. The structure itself is quite large and expansive. Although the group has yet to see any servant, it is clear everything is well maintained.
"State your name and allegiances as I have done," Yuzhe orders. "And we will see where your loyalties lie by the end of your trials."

BAO

Well. Bao had assumed that he would be spending most of his spring amongst nature- a bit of peaceful reading here, a few treks to find new herbs there. Not, well… in an unidentified, undisclosed location who-knows how far from home. Apparently he’d been too hasty when he’d accepted the proposal to further efforts for peace.

Still- Bao hadn’t expected this! Blindfolds? Hush-meetings? Obscured locations? You’ve got to be kidding him!

Well… at least the scenery is beautiful, undeniably so. That’s a positive- he can at least see now! Optimism! He gives a brief glance to try and peer at those beside him without drawing much attention as he just sort of… stands there politely, hands clasped in front of him. Quite the array of individuals!

At least he’s here for his “prowess”, this man says- ha! Call him skeptical of the methods, but what a compliment! They should’ve gone and gotten Dawa if they want real prowess, but he’ll take it!

Bao squints, rather concerned by the concepts of “finding true loyalties” and “trials” and whatnot- but oh well. He’s not the super-secret organization, so best to digress.

“Ah, well. I am Bao,” he starts, clearing his throat, tone more as if he’s introducing himself over tea than being ordered to state his purpose. “I'm no waterbender, but I thought I'd start and be the... icebreaker," he chuckles, then continues. "I am from the southwestern Earth Kingdom… uh, lovely to meet everybody!

the icon
start
ba sing se ― home
current
??? ― ???
mentions
yuzhe, ruli,
jianli (alluded to), bao
tags
whole group moment
yi・xia
Not so long ago, Yixia stood at the entrance to his family’s estate with faux determination. Lingering in his ear was a request; a call to power, so to speak. One he had actually responded to, much to his own surprise, though that surprise didn’t take long to phase into a quiet unease in the pit of his stomach… Oh, why did he agree? Refusal would have been easier than acceptance, and he knew that better than anyone, so he didn’t really understand why things transpired the way they did.

Surely, it was because he overheard this “White Lotus” talking to his mother as well, and that certainly meant there was an illusion of choice, here―if he said “no”, well, she’d just make him go, anyway. Perhaps he subconsciously knew this, which is why, right?

That’s what he’d settle on, regardless.

Afterwards, the rendezvous with the White Lotus agent resulted in what may as well have been a kidnapping. Not only did he experience being blindfolded for the first time in his life, but these people also felt the need to dampen his hearing so that he could truly, without a doubt, have no clue on where he was being led to. Maybe it was simply to his demise, and everyone completely missed the signs when they agreed to the proposition. “White Lotus”? Really?… They’re named after a funeral flower, of all things.

… Or was he thinking about white lilies? Ah… Suppose it doesn’t really matter.

Yixia’s hands ran cold and there was an obvious hesitance in his step, but he had faith that if things really did pivot south, he could… probably slip away just fine. Maybe. It’d also be pretty cool if this whole thing turned out to be some kind of secret party instead, which would be the best-case scenario, if you asked him.

Eventually, after what felt like an indefinite trek, Yixia found his senses returning to him all at once, which marks the current point in time. Two-toned irises glanced from the surrounding forest to the ornate compound, taking in the admittedly pleasant scenery he found himself to be apart of, and if he had to guess, this area was just about as secluded as it could get. He could neither see nor hear anything nearby that would suggest otherwise, save for the presence of some others who were not around when the kidnapping first started.

One of these people was an older man, notably well-built in spite of his years, who went on to introduce himself as Yuzhe. His talk about preserving the peace of the world and the group undergoing trials reminded Yixia of a book he’d read once, though the title failed to come into mind. Maybe Ruli would remember… and speaking of, he caught a glimpse of the earth bender from the corner of his eye. Wow! Since she’s here too, maybe everything will end up okay after all! Not to mention, Ruli wasn't the only familiar face here. So much reliability in one spot...

Next to introduce themselves was yet another older man, this time a more positive-aired individual based on his tone of voice. Bao, as he was called, said something about water benders and breaking ice, whatever that meant―as far as Yixia could tell, there was no ice around to break at all. You know, unless he meant the ice that might be on the peaks of the mountains way off in the distance, but it was no use thinking about that now. Since Yixia stood next to him, it seemed as though the next one to speak was already decided upon.

“I don’t really want to climb a mountain to break ice,” he stated mindlessly, voice somewhat quiet and without much direction. Was it supposed to be a response to Bao, or was he just talking to himself? It was difficult to discern.

Nevertheless, he continued, an unsure smile tugging at his lips. “So… I’m not a water bender or an ice-breaker, but I’m Yixia... also from the Earth Kingdom. Nice to meet you all,”
coded by natasha.

fluticasone fluticasone
  Ryosuke | the guardian
Standing to attention was a motion Ryosuke was all too familiar with. One foot out of place earned a soldier a lick of flame at their boots, and he was quick to learn to keep both feet together and eyes straight ahead. Ryosuke didn’t follow that lesson now, with his eyes jutting left, then right, at the rows of bodies who stood alongside him, some more fidgety than the Fire Army would ever allow.
But as the elder addressed, they were all here for a reason. Handpicked and put in neat little rows, expected to play soldiers for The Order of the White Lotus, whatever that entailed. Everyone had a different opinion on how to maintain peace and prosperity within a nation. He was not sure what this Order’s methods were yet.
The tinge of sickly-sweet flora brushed past Ryosuke’s nostrils, and he could not help but think of the Fuji tree that grew in the Ichiba residence. He already longed for the home that would only ever be temporary.
Ryosuke expected to be called back to action, waited for it even. By the time he received his summons from the Fire Army, he was already packed. Jun joked about how Ryosuke couldn’t wait to get away from the boring, idyllic fights they had over a Pai Sho board and the routine training under the Fuji tree.
“Would you not think of staying?”
The question sounded like his ward wanted him to stay. Ryosuke knew better than to assume his meaning at the surface of such questions.
“If I receive the call, I must answer it,” Ryosuke answered. Jun frowned, but then hummed. It was not quite the answer he was looking for, and both men knew it.
Ryosuke only answered completely before he left, when Jun had gone to break their hug, and the man held onto him.
And now, here he was, standing here with so many others, while this man spoke of using their skill and prowess to maintain peace and prosperity. Ryosuke did not fully understand what was going on. He had agreed to his superiors’ instructions to go to his rendezvous point, to not resist any orders given to him, even if the secrecy made him uneasy.
As Ryosuke noted the calm and the distinctive array of people gathered in the compound, his face softened in recognition as the man introduced himself. Yuzhe. He heard the name bounce off the lips of several soldiers in the army, often in admiration. He couldn’t say he knew much more of him other than his skill, and his reputation for speaking out.
He supposed one needed that to be a protector of the world.
A few others tarted to introduce themselves, some already wildly different from each other. He could not judge their talents from their initial appearances, and believed it was better not to for now. Not everyone could be a soldier or a bender, nor young and strong.
Ryosuke’s hands formed the familiar flame-like gesture, a closed fist against an open palm. He bowed as he introduced himself.
“Ryosuke, denizen and loyal soldier of the Fire Nation. I must thank The Order for this opportunity, and I hope to exceed your expectations.”

Do not touch me!” Her voice was a whip, sharp enough to the man holding the blindfold to pause, even if she refused to back up. She lifted her gaze from the strip of fabric, to meet the man’s eyes. “You are a bender, are you not?” Those callouses might have been from weapons, but in the Earth Kingdom, it was a likely bet. “Block my eyes with mud if you must, but do not touch me.” Though there was a warning in her tone, there was no fear. She was living on borrowed time. If now was when she had to return what she owed, she just wished the curse died with her.

She did not flinch as the mud hit her closed eyes, welcoming the darkness. Her head cocked as the air beside her ears began to buzz. An Airbender as well? Perhaps the promise of better healing techniques was true. Airbenders knew as much about the spirit as the Elders.

For a moment she felt alone. More isolated than she had since leaving. But her bare feet upon the grass reminded her. The plants around her felt more alive. They called to her, like her friends of old in the forest. She did not answer the call. Merely relaxed as she stepped forward, following the rope in her hands like a well trained mule.

~
Earth crumbled from her eyes, dust falling from her lashes with every blink as she slowly adjusted to light once more. People. More people around her than she’d had in, well, years. Her skin crawled. She knew, while outdoors, without touching any of them, they were safe. But she still tensed, then with the grace of a waterbender, shifted to the back of the group as the old man was speaking.

She was listening. In the shadows of her hat, Hae frowned. This…was unexpected. She was no fighter. Oh, she could defend her patients, but she was a healer. She took care of those ill or injured. She cared not what squabbles they had. Yes, it would be better if they did not fight, but idiots were abundant. She had been to no war zones. Instead nature caused the most injuries she faced, but it was those whose source seemed less visible than air that she fought the most. Sharing techniques for childbirth or wrapping a wound were the easy parts of her days.

The promise of new healing techniques however, kept her protests quiet. She’d learned a lot in the near decade she’d been…gone. She understood which herbs in the Earth Kingdom helped and how. She knew the body inside and out. But her knowledge had been limited by her location. She’d already been planning to travel. This was an opportunity.

Her eyes trailed over the backs of heads, as the first people begin to introduce themselves. One looked familiar, but impossible. Naran would never be banished from the tribe. Nor would he abandon it. The first two were also of the Earth Kingdom, though they did not say they were benders. Glancing at the man in front, she realized, neither had he. The fire nation army included non-benders, she believed. A young man spoke third, again without mentioning bending.

Hae knew non-benders were important. It was rare to find another Waterbender in the Earth Kingdom, so the healers she’d taught were usually non-benders. They certainly could fight, but if she were to pick out the most elite fighters, she knew she would go for benders. Perhaps it was part of their clandestine nature? Hae did not care for the particulars. She would heal those who were sick or injured and learn. If they felt their destiny was grander, let the Spirits guide them. She knew her path.

Raising her head so that the sun could reach her face, she spoke next. “I am Hae. A traveling healer in the Earth Kingdom.

fluticasone fluticasone
  miu | the razor
It was a sordid tale beginning with bared teeth and sharpened claws how Miu was now standing with the prettiest of views in front of an elderly fire nation soldier.
A sluggish rumbler simply wanting to escape to the clouds of his bed and the quiet tranquility of his resting mind, brutally interrupted by an odd stranger claiming to be part of some top secret organisation wanting to bring peace and balance to the world. A man who drags himself home with paper bones and aching feet from a day of extensive bending does not want to be bothered with what he assumes is a silly prank from a bored loser with nothing better to do. Perhaps a crazed fan who’d seen him fight and had no other means of catching his attention.
So naturally, he answered with a scoff and a door to the face. Careful consideration and a hole of lethe nothingness beginning to dig a hole of emptiness in his life begin, suffocating and plaguing him as of recent leads to the decision of agreement upon getting more clear information though, now regretting such a rash resolve. Oohs and awe’s of a crowd looking for violent displays of bending as entertainment would have been better than publicly speaking in front of people, small crowd or not.
The horrors.
At least in the ring no one expected him to introduce himself.
Light sheds from darkness and he finds himself holding back a small laugh at the elderly man’s joke that seems to have flown right over Yixia’s poor little head. He would have allowed himself too if under different circumstances but bravely does he remain quiet as Ryosuke a rather bland and uninteresting soldier greets himself next.
He redacts it a moment later, finding it unfair because he’d only spoken for a short moment and judging someone so harshly, so quickly had to be bad luck. And the last thing the rumbler needed in his life was karma enacting her vengeful, unforgiving lash back.
How odd, he thinks as Hae follows suit, that she is the only one to make note she can bend. Or at least that’s what he assumes (he should probably stop doing that) considering she mentioned she was a healer. It implied she was good with herbs and medicine or she was a water bender. Shoulder lifting lazily in a half hearted shrug, he decides not to give it anymore thought and oh so valiantly puts himself on the line. “Miu Konohana,” he says, awkwardly clearing his throat an air of hesitance staining what was supposed to be an intrepid introduction for he was unsure if he could ever be fully loyal to a Nation so sour. “A rumbler also from the southern Earth Kingdom,” is what he settles on, a shaky sigh of relief for a recluses nightmare has just been witnessed.
Woe upon him.

scroll

the hammer

jianli.

mood

eager, proud

outfit

outfit

location here

interactions

interactions here

tags

tags here

He’d begun his journey with hands and feet bound together by rope, a necessity when he’d ripped the blindfold tied around his head off after only half an hour. Jianli still struggled against the bindings, to the point that the ropes frayed and his skin burned red. Yet the people who had blind folded him took extra care to make sure that he would not escape his bindings a second time. Scolding words and slaps to the back of his hand whenever he made a move to free himself or reach up for the fabric across his eyes.

One would not have suspected Jianli agreed to come on this journey willingly from the way his transport brought him in. But as they came to a stop, the bindings were cut from his body and his feet were allowed to find the earth. Step by step he used his earth bending to get an idea of where they were. Nowhere close to where they’d started. Yet still on solid ground. It was reassurance enough.

This time when he went to pull his blindfold off, no one stopped him.

The scenery was stunning. For a boy who’d never left Ba Sing Se, he found himself entranced with the landscape behind the old firebender that was addressing the cluster of them. The expansive of wide open land, forest and trees unobstructed by walls of any kind. His heart beat eagerly in his chest at this first taste of real freedom. It was only the lack of anyone else moving to explore that stopped him from doing so. Even as he itched to sprint through the trees and see how far he could go without hitting any sort of barrier.

Finally, the old man seemed to be directing a question at them, instead of just speaking at the group. Jianli turned his attention back to the people around him. Their ages varied as much as the nations they came from, and that was when it truly started to sink in that this White Lotus group he’d agreed to help might actually have been exactly what they said they were.

At the mention of allegiances, though, he hesitated. Did he hold such things? As he listened to the others speak of their nations and homes, Jianli was uneasy with his own potential answer. Or rather, his lack of one. His worries were interrupted, by the first man cracking a joke about waterbenders that had him letting out an easy laugh. From there, it was much easier to introduce himself.

“Jianli, of Ba Sing Se.”
He answered, that part coming easy enough.
“I have no allegiances though. Not to that city, nor to the King who runs it.”
He stood taller as he spoke, proud of his words and owning them entirely.

Of course, he faltered a bit at the recognition of two familiar faces. But, as the introductions continued, he simply kept darting his gaze towards them. Curious, dying to know how they ended up here, but certain that the old firebender might take his head off should he interrupt. The old people of the White Lotus seemed to have no qualms about using violence, he noticed. Jianli respected that.

♡coded by uxie♡

"My daughter, my perfect creation," the voice of her father whispered behind her as his calloused hands fastened a necklace around her as tightly as possible. Jade eyes stared solemnly in the mirror of her pristine room. He had been the one to deliver the news, the vaguest news she'd ever received -- but not an unfamiliar request. Most missions began this way. She felt her father's grasp now on her shoulders. You are my pride and joy, he whispered lovingly as if doting on a baby in a cradle. Their moment was short-lived, and due to the secrecy of her call to action, it was not guaranteed she would ever return. Her chin was high with their arrogant familial pride, but as she took her first step out her door, she sharply turned and wrapped her arms around her father. Nothing was said. Nothing needed to be, yet he reminded her sternly not to cry nor show anything besides devotion to the call.

Her reputation was anonymous in the Earth Kingdom, known only to military officials and elite families. But the White Lotus knew particularly too much about her, given they tied her hands behind her back. Blindfolded her. And while she saw the world mostly through the soles of her feet, they took that away by fastening on special shoes. All she knew was that the trip was not long. Ruli respected their need for privacy. She stared ahead only when given permission -- permission being the removal of the blindfold -- and she found many others in an obedient line. Years of military service steeled any emotion she could express. Namely shock. Yixia, she thought immediately, watching her only friend introduce himself. Relief fluttered in her chest. She had not seen him in awhile due to their separate affairs and was quite surprised to see him there, but it was not an unwelcome one. After an old man introduced himself, Yixia did so. In his normal fashion. She remembered him so much younger, much smaller -- but the softness and absentness of his eyes stubbornly remained.

More introductions she paid little mind to until she heard someone familiar down the line.

Jianli, of Ba Sing Se.

Her face kept straight. Jianli? Light-headed. She despised the shoes, for her seismic sense wished to reach out and read him. Jianli. Is it possible? The man who directed their introductions came to her, and she answered with no indication of how shocked she was. She spoke loud enough for everyone to hear but not so loud as to come off as brash. Her tone was an arrow, even and direct.

"Ruli Shu, sworn to the Earth Kingdom Army," she replied as the final Earthbender. The only one proudly pledged to her nation.

the prodigy.

ruli.

• filler tab!

♡coded by uxie♡

✦ the successor ✦

YUJIE.

— the ashes call my name

unknown

interactions

the general vicinity

tags

n/a

Orders from the Fire Army's commander-in-chief are never negotiable. This, for the military, is something that reigns as certain as the rise and fall of the sun each day—and it's with this understanding that Yujie stands before his father, hands folded in a flame-like salute as he awaits his orders. They're orders he's expected to receive for some time now, having heard stirrings from his family about their cooperation with the White Lotus, and they're ones he'll do everything to execute.

In Yujie's case, there's more to this mission than solely what the White Lotus commands. Protecting the peace and balance of the world aside (which, frankly, is not his obligation to be concerned about), Shoko's disappearance had been a direct reflection of the Fire Nation's control over her, or lack thereof. This shame—this failure—was only further exacerbated when she reappeared years later, this time with an army in tow and war on the horizon. Bringing her and her troops down, Yujie knows, is paramount for reestablishing the Fire Nation's unchallengeable reputation that's been shaken by her insolence, for losing visibility over Shoko is a fault that ultimately rests on their shoulders, and their shoulders alone. Regardless of whether or not the other kingdoms have denounced them behind closed doors, the Fire Lord will not tolerate Shoko and her followers tarnishing his dynasty's name any longer.

Yujie bows when Yuze voices as such, and his salute lifts slightly higher in acknowledgment. The mission sounds simple enough, but its execution, he knows, will be an entirely different matter of its own.
"Yes, sir."

✦ ✦ ✦​

Yujie squints at the brightness when his blindfold is removed, the sunlight hitting his vision just as abruptly as it had been taken away at the beginning of the journey. He doesn't know how long it's been since they departed, but a quick glance around tells him he's no longer surrounded by the familiar architecture of the Fire Nation. All that lies around them is mountain and forest—a scenery obscuring them from the outside world that, in all its beauty, boasts a natural tranquility Yujie isn't entirely used to.

At the center of attention stands Yuzhe, who looks much more aged compared to Yujie's last memory of him. It must have been over a decade ago since Yujie last saw him, back during his teenage years, but even then, their familiarity only went as far as catching passing glimpses of each other during Fire Army meetings. Age and blindness aside though, Yuzhe looks well, and Yujie takes some satisfaction in knowing that a former soldier of the Fire Nation can still prove to be capable even a decade after his departure from it.

Yujie doesn't turn his gaze to the different voices that speak up in introduction—doesn't need to, for he's neither here to fraternize nor extend his interest to anyone past the bare minimum of what will be required of them. Instead, he keeps his gaze trained on Yuzhe unwaveringly, as if the master is the only one amongst the rest who's worthy of his attention, worthy of acknowledgment.

"Yujie."
His voice rings out coldly, carrying a commanding sort of sharpness in the single word that's every bit reflective of his equally harsh nature.
"Fire Nation military."

scroll

the foundling

yuka.

mood

uncertain

outfit

water tribe drip

compound

interactions

everybody

tags

rock yo body

A year into her travels, Yuka returns home to the Southern Water Tribe to celebrate her mother's name day. It is then that she is approached by her chief and mentor about an unusual request. A messenger hawk had arrived a few days prior, carrying a letter signed not by name, but a white lotus. The contents spoke of peace and prosperity, and of the costs to maintain it. The author of the letter requested one, two, or even three of the Southern Water Tribe's most promising warriors. Yuka was an obvious candidate.

It took some convincing, of course, as she was uncertain of answering such a vague and mysterious call. Her mentor urged her to consider it. Yuka had years ahead of her and an adventure was good for the soul. In truth, she couldn't argue with his logic. Yuka had returned to the Fire Nation to grow as a bender and yet she felt directionless on more than one occasion in the past year. Perhaps pursuing this quest for peace would offer her an opportunity, a goal to focus on and aid in her growth along the way.

Yuka and two others from the Southern Water Tribe departed a few days later for the southern islands of the Earth Kingdom as instructed. She didn't anticipate being blindfolded at the White Lotus' meeting place. In fact, she struggled against her instincts to rip the cloth from her eyes and demand to know where she was being taken. Patience, she reminded herself instead. Her mentor always said she struggled with it.

Although she was unsure of exactly how far she had traveled, Yuka knew the journey was a long one. She was thankful to have the blindfold properly removed. She was taken aback by the sight of a large, seemingly empty compound high in the sky and surrounded by mountains. It was a gorgeous, breathtaking view. Yuka had never seen anything like it. She wasn't given long to gawk at the sight. Shortly after her arrival, she was ushered out into a courtyard with dozens of others stood. Yuka quickly realized she was standing amongst people hailing from all over the world. She could see it in the cut of their clothes, the style of their hair, and the color of their eyes and skin. It was a sight to behold.

Again, she was given little time to stand there and stare. A man with long, thick hair and white eyes arrived to address them. Yuka listened carefully to his words. He echoed the same sentiment of the letter. Peace and prosperity. What did surprise her, however, was mention of a trial. Had her mentor chosen to withhold that information, or had it not been mentioned? Either way, the prospect intrigued her. Yuka could never resist a good challenge.

Amber eyes flickered to each voice as they spoke up, answering the man's call for their names and allegiances. She turned her head in surprise to hear Ryosuke's name and voice. It had been many years since she had seen him, but Yuka recognized the young boy she had known as a child in the older man standing a few yards away from her. She couldn't decide how seeing him there, after all the years, made her feel.

"Yuka."
She finally stated, looking away. A different name than what he would know her by.
"My allegiances..."
She trailed off, hesitating.
"Southern Water Tribe."

♡coded by uxie♡

fluticasone fluticasone
  Naran, the destined
An ambiguous mission that would take them to a secret location through a blindfolded journey accompanied solely by strangers–it was safe to say the White Lotus hadn’t put forth their most creative or hospitable members when it came to advertising. The messenger in charge of selling this ominous holiday had almost ended up as Catgator lunch long before even reaching the outer markers of Foggy Swamp Tribe territory. Fortunately, a conveniently placed rope trap was there to save him just in time, hoisting him by the ankle into the safe yet sticky confines of the Swamp foliage. Murky, moist and insect bite-ridden, the poor thing seemed in dire condition by the time a small hunting party found him, and he wasn’t out of harm's way yet. A complicated history ruled that outside visitors weren’t favoured around these parts, so he’d first have to endure a fool-proof process of sniffing out danger: stick prods, sub-par intimidation strategies and critical questions such as “Can we trust you?”. State-of-the-art deduction, one might say.
Lucky to have caught a village elder's interest (and pity), the messenger had been allowed to set up camp just outside of tribe territory, where he was provided with food and plentiful not-so-subtle spectators. Considering visitors were a true spectacle for the masses, his tales spread like wildfire. Most believed his request to be equal part amusing as it was strange, but a small handful found unprecedented clarity in its vagueness. Among the more spiritually aligned members of the tribe, some were even bold enough to call it a fated encounter. They had felt the Grove’s energies twist and turn for a long time now. Finally, things would begin to fall into place. The tribe council voted unanimously: they would answer the call of the White Lotus with their best: a hopeful swamp child boasting a ‘gift’ as open-ended as the mission itself.
All circumstances considered, Naran hadn’t expected to enjoy the journey nearly as much as he did. Leaving the Swamp for the first time brought up its fair share of concerns, so to claim he wasn’t a tiny bit afraid of what was to come would be a stone-cold lie. Fortunately, the influx of wondrous new sensations was more than enough to distract his mind from the encroaching homesickness. Not allowing a silly blindfold to come in the way of his exploring, Naran made sure to vigorously sniff, prod and listen his way through the new world that opened before him. Naturally, he saw to it that each of his thoughts was shared in detail with the nearby chaperones. He appreciated their knack for listening. Whether they appreciated his rampant talking, in turn, would be a badly kept mystery.
One thing was certain: what the White Lotus lacked in hospitality, they sure did make up for in showmanship. Naran’s eyes could barely remain in their sockets once he found himself at the final destination. It was near impossible not to look around, to admire all the different visages of the many strangers lined up in uncanny symmetry. The waterbender listened eagerly as the new faces began to reveal their names and loyalties one by one. Fascinating, truly. Some of them mentioned places he had never even heard of, which, given the isolated nature of the tribe, should’ve likely felt less spectacular than it did in the moment. Similarly, none of the names seemed to ring a bell. Well, save for one: Hae. A coincidence more likely than not, but something about the voice that uttered it felt oddly familiar. Perhaps he would have time to explore later on.
As the time came for him to introduce himself, Naran stepped forward and looked to either side, a badly subdued smile resting on his face. “My name is Naran. I come from the Foggy Swamp Tribe.” His voice was bright and confident, seemingly naive to the grandiosity of the scene he now became part of.

the rouge.

rahan.

brutus.

???

interactions

n/a

tags

n/a

Someone once told him that life's journey would lead him to various places. At the time, it sounded like a worn-out ancient proverb, its true meaning lost over time. Rahan had dismissed the person, whoever they were, with a roll of his eyes. Yet now, their words seemed strangely relevant as he found himself in this predicament. How long had he traveled blindfolded in this creaky carriage, moving across unfamiliar terrain? He couldn't say, and he despised it. Even after confronting his pursuer, unease lingered within him.

- flashback-

He was accustomed to being followed, but this was different. No matter how he tried to shake them off, they stuck to him like glue. These weren't amateur thugs after his bounty; they were skilled. Darting through food stalls and dark alleys, he couldn't lose them. Panic didn't set in; there was only the cold certainty of death if he didn't find the answers he sought.

Rahan caught his breath as he slipped into another alley, pressing himself against the wall, concealed by shadows. He knew whoever was following him would see him reach this dead end. His weapon felt reassuringly heavy in his hand. As a hooded figure turned the corner, he lunged, pinning them against the wall with a swift motion. The wooden panels creaked under the sudden pressure. They offered no resistance, only raising their hands in surrender. Rahan pulled back their hood, letting the moonlight reveal their face.

"Hello, Rahan. I've come with a proposition." He grimaced at the realization that he'd been found, not just by anyone, but by Earth Kingdom officials. His eyes scanned the surroundings, finding nothing familiar.

Rahan shifted his weight, listening to someone addressing the crowd. He observed the old man, his milky eyes betraying his blindness, yet Rahan knew better than to underestimate him. He bore the mark of experience himself. Yuzhe issued his commands, and Rahan crossed his arms.

The scent of blooming flowers wafted on the spring breeze, though he couldn't see them from where he stood. It reminded him of home, of the Earth Kingdom he fled at seventeen. His arms dropped to his sides as it came time to respond. There was little hesitation in his voice as he stated,
"Rahan. My loyalties lie with myself. No one else."
His gaze remained fixed on Yuhze as he crossed his arms again. If Yuhze thought he could change his allegiance, he was mistaken. Putting anyone above his own survival meant certain death. Rahan knew this truth intimately, feeling it in his bones every night he spent alone, every time he fled from his crimes.

— R E I K O

mood.

tired

location.

unknown

tags.

@ none

Initially, Reiko had wanted to refuse. As far as she was concerned, it wasn’t her problem. She had secured her spot in a life of comfort, even during trying times. Days spent schmoozing and nights spent performing for the affluent had marked her as one of them. A step above the lowly village she grew up in. The unrest in the world didn’t concern her. Money could buy happiness, or in her case, the ability to ignore the unsavory turn in the world.

Reality nagged at the back of her mind, pushing her fears and doubts to the forefront. If word got out that she declined such an opportunity, she may lose the admiration of her fans. Her carefully crafted brand of humility and grace could fracture and trickle into something bigger. One she couldn’t shoo away with sweet smiles and rehearsed words.

Reiko grimaced, the taste of blood invading her senses. Her tongue prodded over the sensitive spot on the inside of her cheek as she scolded herself. No use in dwelling on the idea and harming herself with worry. Her decision was already made.

---​

Reiko hesitated as a woman approached to blindfold her. Her fingers brushed against the fabric, moving it away from her face.

“This won’t be necessary,” Reiko said, flashing a gentle smile. The woman, who still hadn’t introduced herself despite Reiko’s repeated inquiries, responded with a dry laugh before proceeding to blindfold her once more.

A disgruntled noise left Reiko’s throat, but she made no further move to protest. Instead, she resolved to focus on each turn the cart took as it traveled to their secret destination. A resolve that faltered as the moving cart lulled her to sleep.

---​

Reiko squinted, her vision adjusting to the removal of the blindfold. Her stomach dropped, seeing herself standing among a group of strangers.

An older gentleman stepped before the crowd. “You stand here today for your skill and prowess.” Reiko’s eyes widened, and his voice was commanding and clear. In a different life, he would have been a perfect fit for the stage. A nervous feeling gnawed deep within her chest. Her skills and prowess lie not within fighting, healing, or strategy. Just what was she doing here?

The man introduced himself as Yuzhe, a former Fire Nation soldier now loyal to the White Lotus. Neither the man nor the organization meant anything to her, though she couldn’t deny their importance was clear.

“State your name and allegiances, as I have done,” Yuzhe orders. “And we will see where your loyalties lie by the end of your trials.”

Others in the crowd had stepped up to the mantle first. Introducing themselves as instructed. Grateful, Reiko was relieved to not be the first one. It gave her time, while not a lot. It was enough. Slowly, she pieced together the character she was about to play. So close to the one she had perfected over the years but tweaked ever so slightly to fit the situation.

As the gauntlet shifted to her, she cleared her throat, hoping her voice could capture the same captivating and clear incantation as Yuzhe. “I am Reiko, a performer from the Fire Nation, and my loyalty lies with the innocence of this world,” She said, the lie rolling easily from her tongue. Even if Rahan, who had introduced themselves only a moment ago, was bold enough to speak the truth. Reiko would never utter aloud that her loyalty are only to herself.

♡coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back