TV & Film Your thoughts on this swarm of live action movies we're getting?

I disagree with the notion some express that they're running out of ideas because remakes and adaptations because those have been staples of cinema since damn near the beginning. Studios like to make money and like it or not the live action version of things people are familiar with is an easy way to sell to an audience. I don't have much of an issue with remakes. 2015's Cinderella was a good, fine, enjoyable movie. 2017's Beauty and the Beast was...less so, and Dumbo was...not good but Aladdin looks fun and I am one hundred percent not the target audience for Dora. If a movie is good, it's good regardless if it's a remake or an adaptation or whatever; A Star Is Born is the third time that movie has been remade and this go around it basically proved to be a big hit.

It's not that Hollywood producers are running out of ideas, it's that generally they have an idea as to what sells and they are more likely to put all their advertising money into something that comes to the market with pre-existing familiarity than to back something that is unknown and likely to flop. But there are still plenty of movies released every year that are fresh and original and often still have studio backing; the problem is they get buried at the box office because for the casual market it's the big blockbusters and tentpoles and familiar remakes that get the most push and attention.

Live action takes on familiar franchises is basically an inevitability. And if the end result is a good movie then there's really no problem. The issue is when studios decide that name alone is enough to just dump a crappy movie in theaters and that's why Paul W.S. Anderson still somehow gets to make movies.

i'm not sure if this has been said already, but disney would benefit so much more (maybe not monetarily wise, but) from remaking underrated classics like atlantis: the lost empire and treasure planet. seriously... just think about what they could do with costuming, make-up, and cgi effects! not to mention introducing these stories to a new generation and giving them a second chance!

Yeah I LOVE the underrated ones, even the ones from what is referred to as the 'dark age' of Disney like Oliver and Company and Great Mouse Detective etc.

I won't even watch The Jungle Book live action remake cause I watched some clips and was horrified at how they, in my opinion, butchered the songs.

And Mulan supposedly isn't going to have the songs so not interested whatsoever in that. Lion King I just...don't get why they'd do that one.

Beauty and the Beast made the transformed mansion servants creepy looking so I've avoided it.

Aladdin they cast what seems to be a squeaker from Call of Duty as JAFAR of all people...and blue Will Smith Genie is nightmare inducing.

Yeah I LOVE the underrated ones, even the ones from what is referred to as the 'dark age' of Disney like Oliver and Company and Great Mouse Detective etc.

I won't even watch The Jungle Book live action remake cause I watched some clips and was horrified at how they, in my opinion, butchered the songs.

And Mulan supposedly isn't going to have the songs so not interested whatsoever in that. Lion King I just...don't get why they'd do that one.

Beauty and the Beast made the transformed mansion servants creepy looking so I've avoided it.

Aladdin they cast what seems to be a squeaker from Call of Duty as JAFAR of all people...and blue Will Smith Genie is nightmare inducing.

The Lion King one is still animated ;). CGI is animation too!

I'm so disgusted and frustrated with the fact that they're making a live action gundam (smh nobody mentioned this) and how most of these are all just fucking remakes that don't add anything important besides adding "reel peepl" which will actively detriment most of these.

It's the newest round of a generation of intellectually cheap shit these days.

I'm particularly angered over the gundam one, because I just... I'd make a wall of text and jumbled thoughts if I went into it lmao

I'm so disgusted and frustrated with the fact that they're making a live action gundam (smh nobody mentioned this) and how most of these are all just fucking remakes that don't add anything important besides adding "reel peepl" which will actively detriment most of these.

It's the newest round of a generation of intellectually cheap shit these days.

I'm particularly angered over the gundam one, because I just... I'd make a wall of text and jumbled thoughts if I went into it lmao

Whaaaaaat? That's news to me. Don't mess with Gundam! It's practically Japan's equivalent to Star Wars with how influential it's been.

Damn, this blew up. This is probably the most replied to discussion thread I've ever made.

Disney's live action remakes basically print money and are low risk investments because they have an almost guaranteed audience. People still go to these movies in droves. Disney is in the business of profit, not art; art is just a nice coincidence.

I'm not too bothered by it simply because it's a fad, it's always been a fad and will continue to be such after it peters off after a few years. My only qualm is that they should make live-action movies of lesser-known/popular properties to get the public's eye back on them. Things like Atlantis and Treasure Planet for Disney would likely do quite well nowadays and look very nice as live-action movies if not for the fact there's barely any live-action steampunk movies around(at least mainstream) Or movies that would look really gorgeous in live-action, like The Little Mermaid or Hunchback.

I'm also not too bothered by it because I've been a big fan of retellings for as long as I can remember and that's essentially all these are when you get down to them; fairy-tale retellings. I'm interested by what Disney can do differently in their live-actions that they couldn't or wouldn't do in their previous animated films.

The live action Jungle Book was pretty dang awesome. Dumbo was great. I’m on the fence about Aladdin. I’m eagerly awaiting Robin Hood, tho

Makes me kinda saaad but the movies themselves (that have came out already, like Dumbo) aren't awful they just.. exist. I question the point of making a live action lion king if cast are all CGI anyway lol

Money grabs. They don’t have anything original left anymore.

I'm gonna watch the hell out of Pikachu and anything else that gives me live action animals with magical powers. I thought JK was gonna give me that but (bitter tone) I guess not. So buckle up ladies we're all on board that Pokemon train.

That said the rest are meh. I will watch Lion King cuz cute animals. I will not watch the rest unless forced to.

I wanted to watch the Sonic one because i was sure it'd be a trainwreck, and I love bad movies, but with the redesign thing.. eugh. I'm no professional but I know enough about animation to say those poor animators are gonna be really overworked trying to fix the design before November; makes me rethink wanting to give it any money

Theres gonna be a live action he man movie.
And lady and the tramp movie but their names got changed
:/
Not happy about it
Who else agrees its bad

Idk. I’m not a movie person in general, but I think they’ve all been pretty lame from what I’ve caught up on. I’ll be honest I haven’t given anything a chance since the live beauty and the beast, it all just bores me and I’m always anticipating them forfeiting story accuracy for the sake of making political moves.

I just find them all anticlimactic. They’re repeating because no one has imagination anymore. I think we should take a huge break from entertainment production in general and give people a chance to breathe and appreciate what we have instead of spitting out shitty content for whatever dollar they can grab. For every hundred movies produced it seems there’s only one decent one and the standards aren’t set very high anyways.

Avengers Endgame is the best
it is awesome, but I'm pretty sure the conversation is about live action remakes (such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc), and also like... I dunno, live action stuff that shouldn't even exist. Like Sonic. Or Dora. :')

it is awesome, but I'm pretty sure the conversation is about live action remakes (such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc), and also like... I dunno, live action stuff that shouldn't even exist. Like Sonic. Or Dora. :')

Yep. Couldn't have said it better myself. I posted this before the Sonic trailer dropped, and I am honestly glad things ended up that way. Because otherwise, the main post would've just been me whining about the blue monstrosity along with the live-action Dora.

As a huge fan of movies, I personally never cared for any of them. Even though I kinda liked Jungle Book. They'll die out soon and Disney will stick with original ideas again...hopefully.

Not really a fan of the live-action remakes for the good old movies (I absolutely HATE the Dumbo-take, ugh) but I actually think that Dora looks interesting?

I have mixed feelings, I am happy that I get to see some of the movies I loved as a kid in a new light, but at the same time I'm sitting here going why did you make the lion king live action??? What about some of the other movies with well human beings? Also there are changes that were made which I'm okay with but the nostalgia factor at least for me makes it hard for me to love these new movies. I mean I like them but I love the animated ones more. Also my little brother watched Dora growing up he's 19 now I dont think he's gonna see the live action movie, but then maybe Dora is still big I dont know since I haven't watched it since he grew out of it.

Disney made an absolute killing from the Marvel franchise. This has allowed them to really ramp up productions and flood the big screen with more content of various varieties. And through the process of doing the Marvel thing, they realized several key things.

1. The average viewer just wants a good time. They are going in with their kids as a family, and therefore don't want to think or feel too much during the experience. They want big thrills and lots of laughs. Disney movies are about feeling good, and fun for the whole family. When you watch the average Marvel movie, it's nothing but laughs. The moment things even get semi-tense or serious, a character like Drax shoehorns a laugh in to keep things moving at a positive pace.
  2. No matter what Disney does (Star Wars spin-offs notwithstanding), the audience walks into the theater primed to love it. This results in the taking of bigger risks that wouldn't have been taken before 2008.
  3. Star power is EVERYTHING.

Expect Disney to be doing much, much more content, none of which will be original. More live action remakes and Marvel-based content is the future of mainstream, successful cinema.

Personally I don't really watch any of them. The new Lion King looks horrible. if there was ever a Disney film you didn't need to remake, it's Lion King. Disney likes to cast based upon star power, and star power alone. You see it clearly with Marvel. Many questionable, if not horrible, castings that disarm people with a familiar, household face they can instantly accept and enjoy. They are marketing geniuses, if nothing else. That was my main issue with Lion King. I just didn't see the potential in the cast because I adore and cherish the original, and as a film buff, I could care less if Seth Rogan is in a movie or not. Love the guy, but he's just not my Pumbaa. All I hear is Seth Rogan, but again, that's exactly what Disney wants. Star power is key to success in today's cinema industry, more-so than ever before.

This is the state of the industry now. No one is taking risks because every asshole with an opinion is a critic. They want established titles that will sell tickets on their own. Why roll the dice on an original story when you can adapt or remake something? This is why Disney spent truck loads of money to acquire Marvel and Star Wars. They knew where the industry was headed, and they wanted to maintain their choke hold on it.

Disney made an absolute killing from the Marvel franchise. This has allowed them to really ramp up productions and flood the big screen with more content of various varieties. And through the process of doing the Marvel thing, they realized several key things.

1. The average viewer just wants a good time. They are going in with their kids as a family, and therefore don't want to think or feel too much during the experience. They want big thrills and lots of laughs. Disney movies are about feeling good, and fun for the whole family. When you watch the average Marvel movie, it's nothing but laughs. The moment things even get semi-tense of serious, a character like Drax shoehorns a laugh in to keep things moving at a positive pace.
  2. No matter what Disney does (Star Wars spin-offs notwithstanding), the audience walks into the theater primed to love it. This results in the taking of bigger risks that wouldn't have been taken before 2008.

Expect Disney to be doing much, much more content, none of which will be original. More live action remakes and Marvel-based content is the future of mainstream, successful cinema.

Personally I don't really watch any of them. The new Lion King looks horrible. if there was ever a Disney film you didn't need to remake, it's Lion King. Disney likes to cast based upon star power, and star power alone. You see it clearly with Marvel. Many questionable, if not horrible, castings that disarm people with a familiar, household face they can instantly accept and enjoy. They are marketing geniuses, if nothing else. That was my main issue with Lion King. I just didn't see the potential in the cast because I adore and cherish the original, and as a film buff, I could care less if Seth Rogan is in a movie or not. Love the guy, but he's just not my Pumbaa. All I hear is Seth Rogan, but again, that's exactly what Disney wants. Star power is key to success in today's cinema industry, more-so than ever before.

This is the state of the industry now. No one is taking risks because every asshole with an opinion is a critic. They want established titles that will sell tickets on their own. Why roll the dice on an original story when you can adapt or remake something? This is why Disney spent truck loads of money to acquire Marvel and Star Wars. They knew where the industry was headed, and they wanted to maintain their choke hold on it.
nice

the last ten minutes i just spent calming myself down from emotional hijinx is now futile as i refall into depression due to the reminder of the fact that nothing has a soul anymore

sorry i'm just not having a good existence right now don't take anything i write right now seriously

1. The average viewer just wants a good time. They are going in with their kids as a family, and therefore don't want to think or feel too much during the experience. They want big thrills and lots of laughs. Disney movies are about feeling good, and fun for the whole family. When you watch the average Marvel movie, it's nothing but laughs. The moment things even get semi-tense or serious, a character like Drax shoehorns a laugh in to keep things moving at a positive pace.

also please leave my marvel movies alone i want to still be able to enjoy them without having existential thoughts about whether i really do enjoy them

again sorry i'm really not in a great mood right now and this cynical melting pot of reality is not what i need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back