Character Theory Writing Personalities: My Thoughts

Sizniche

This profile is no longer in use
Roleplay Availability
I don't like giving advice on writing.

You'll note that I chose to use the "Character Theory" prefix for this as opposed to "Advice/Help", because, as I am no Dickens, you should take everything I say here with a grain of salt. There are certainly people who know better, and honestly, this is more for me to organize my thoughts and tackle a subject I struggle with frequently. For me, at least, writing a good personality is the hardest part of making a character. It's a damn shame then, that it is the most important; every single action in a roleplay is tinted with the personality of your character, and rightly should be. If it isn't, you haven't written or played your character right. However, I find it difficult to organize traits and properly describe how a character I want to make should act; often I have a vague idea in mind, even some situations, but I rarely really quite know how to organize it effectively. So how does one get around this? Before we even think about writing a personality, we should establish what a personality is (as pretentious as that sounds).

What should a personality be?

There are a great deal of times where I or a roleplayer I know will confuse a personality disorder for a personality; while depression is definitely something that would be important to the understanding a character, and something that would inevitably be core to the character, it does not define a character on it's own. Neither does narcissism, anger issues, or being a sperglord like me. Every person has more to them to their baggage, because if they didn't, they would be absolutely boring people; everyone has interests, values, vices, virtues, hobbies, and so on and so forth, and they are more important to who they are than their DSM-5 entry. There is nothing wrong with a character having a personality disorder, sure, but you need to make them more than that, because nobody's life constantly centers around their disorders.

Even worse is when you make a personality out of an emotion, such as a character that is described with ten different synonyms of "happy" and "upbeat" or "sad" and "gloomy". All people experience all emotions; no person is always happy, just like no person is always sad, angry, excited, serious, nervous, or jovial. Every person feels every emotion at some point, as it's the contrast of emotions that help us understand them; love could not exist without hate or vice versa, because our understanding of them is, in part, defined by our experience of the other, or the alternative.

Understanding this, it becomes clear that personality writing is not about which emotions are expressed, but when emotions are expressed. Even the happiest person alive will have their down days at some point, just as even the most depressed person in the world will have a good day once in a blue moon, so when are those good or bad days? Even the most lighthearted trickster has a joke he doesn't find funny, just as the most stonewall stoic will chuckle at something out there, so what is that joke? While there might be some emotional reactions that seem so obvious that you wouldn't think to add them unless you intended to do the exact opposite, many of them still require elaboration. Everyone but sociopaths mourns death in some form, but who do they mourn? Only the closest loved ones? People they know? Any human life in general? Any living creature at all? Everyone except sociopaths abhors murder in some form, but almost everyone makes exceptions, so what is your exception? A just cause? Self-defense? For a friend or lover? Or are you one of the rare few who refuses to murder in any shape or form? Everyone needs companionship, despite some people hating to admit it, but how much do you need? Do you feel the need to be the center of attention? Do you prefer a clique? Do you just need a few close friends? One close friend?

A theme starts to become apparent; personality often comes down to drawing the line, and defining where a person will go from one state of being to another. When will they be spurred to action, and when will they cower away? When will they feel happy, and when will they feel sad? When will they feel empowered, and when will they feel hopeless? I feel this is always important to keep in mind when thinking about personality writing, as it will have bearing over every single action you put into words in a roleplay, and it advances your understanding of what you want your character to be.

Another thing I feel is overlooked is values; people will say their character is "a good person", but not quite in what sense, which is relentlessly annoying since our understanding of morality is subjective to the point where people can't even agree whether or not morality is subjective. To understand the morality of a character means understanding their values, because what you consider "good" in blanket terms may not be exactly the example of a moral paragon to another person. Do they value honesty, integrity, humility, and such? Would they tell a lie to prevent hurting someone? Would they find someone talking behind another's back abhorrent, even if they are a terrible person? Do they follow rigid moral codes, or will they bend the rules to do good? You have to consider that one of the oldest examples of a good person in storytelling, Robin Hood, is literally a wealth redistributor, which is a horrific concept to a great many people in the modern world.

Just my two cents. Will be updated as my understanding of personality writing improves, or as I get tips and suggestions.​

Imo the personality section of a character sheet is usually (depending on the sheet) one of the most unimportant parts. As you've already stated in your second paragraph, every single character action speaks to their personality. And they do so more honestly and completely than player descriptions, who all too often mischaracterize their protagonist. It's the classic show versus tell concept in fiction. And I'd rather be shown.

This is quite the excellent explanation and a very informative and interesting view you have here! Great job! I love how you even mentioned people don't even agree about whether morality is subjective (though not particularly how you atributed it matter-of-factly to subjectivity thus nulling the point), an often forgotten aspect of the discussion.

Overall the only thing I think is missing is more concrete ways for those less experienced to incorporate the advise given here. While you make a great point and explain the general idea very well, I think that someone that grasps it will still have trouble putting it to practice because they were not really guided towards what to prioritize but rather to specific wrong instances.

I'd give my own thoughts, but this is a really big issue and at the moment I am kinda behind on some posts. So maybe I'll make a thread of my own some other time.

As someone who always struggles on describing the personalities of my characters, I find this guide very helpful. There are seriously, many, many situations that can test a character's personality, and I have a hard time summarizing it all. When are they sad? When are they happy? The types of characters they would like? The types of characters they would dislike? When are they motivated? When are they demotivated? I don't even see personality as something stagnant. There's a spectrum. Even the most impulsive, bull-headed characters will have moments where they use their head (so long as they have a working brain). Similarly, an overly shy character can and may take a step into the impulsive when desperate times call for desperate measures. I like what you said about drawing the lines and will be sure to incorporate that the next time I make a character sheet (though it's kinda hard to determine all the lines since there's probably a line for everything =P)

There's also a matter of plot progression. If I slap two characters with polar opposite personalities (except for their stubborness) together and the plot demands that they must work together, what then? Either the plot will fall apart, or one character has to bend a little bit (the one that bends clearly as a lower level of stubborness, which was unmentioned in the character sheet). Similarly, a generally passive character wouldn't get involved in the plot unless other factors motivate them. Depending on the plot, little tweaks might be needed from the original design...or rather discovered as the plot progresses.

I agree with Bone2pick Bone2pick . Actions IC describe personality better than descriptions in the character sheet. People start off with an original plan or design for a character. Plans change. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing...but I will say I don't take the personalities written in the cs to complete face-value. Your character may be generally 'nice' as described in the cs, but if they are mean to my character IC or don't do anything to show they are nice, then my character won't see them as 'nice'. Because what the player intends and how their character is played are two different things.

Last edited:
This is quite the excellent explanation and a very informative and interesting view you have here! Great job! I love how you even mentioned people don't even agree about whether morality is subjective (though not particularly how you atributed it matter-of-factly to subjectivity thus nulling the point), an often forgotten aspect of the discussion.

Overall the only thing I think is missing is more concrete ways for those less experienced to incorporate the advise given here. While you make a great point and explain the general idea very well, I think that someone that grasps it will still have trouble putting it to practice because they were not really guided towards what to prioritize but rather to specific wrong instances.

I'd give my own thoughts, but this is a really big issue and at the moment I am kinda behind on some posts. So maybe I'll make a thread of my own some other time.
I would encourage you to do so, since you are much more experienced in this area than me.

As someone who always struggles on describing the personalities of my characters, I find this guide very helpful. There are seriously, many, many situations that can test a character's personality, and I have a hard time summarizing it all. When are they sad? When are they happy? The types of characters they would like? The types of characters they would dislike? When are they motivated? When are they demotivated? I don't even see personality as something stagnant. There's a spectrum. Even the most impulsive, bull-headed characters will have moments where they use their head (so long as they have a working brain). Similarly, an overly shy character can and may take a step into the impulsive when desperate times call for desperate measures. I like what you said about drawing the lines and will be sure to incorporate that the next time I make a character sheet (though it's kinda hard to determine all the lines since there's probably a line for everything =P)

There's also a matter of plot progression. If I slap two characters with polar opposite personalities (except for their stubborness) together and the plot demands that they must work together, what then? Either the plot will fall apart, or one character has to bend a little bit (the one that bends clearly as a lower level of stubborness, which was unmentioned in the character sheet). Similarly, a generally passive character wouldn't get involved in the plot unless other factors motivate them. Depending on the plot, little tweaks might be needed from the original design...or rather discovered as the plot progresses.

I agree with Bone2pick Bone2pick . Actions IC describe personality better than descriptions in the character sheet. People start off with an original plan or design for a character. Plans change. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing...but I will say I don't take the personalities written in the cs to complete face-value. Your character may be generally 'nice' as described in the cs, but if they are mean to my character IC or don't do anything to show they are nice, then my character won't see them as 'nice'. Because what the player intends and how their character is played are two different things.
I guess it's a matter of perspective and who you're working with. I like to try and make a concrete character from the beginning so that I know what I'm getting into and dont default to the "me" personality.

Idea Idea I also apologize for my wording on that statement; it was an unnecessary injection of opinion that weakens the point. I simply intended to show that different people value different things in a moral code, whether you believe morality is objective or subjective, and whether you believe they are right or wrong.

I would encourage you to do so, since you are much more experienced in this area than me.
Ya know what, I think I just might :D

Idea Idea I also apologize for my wording on that statement; it was an unnecessary injection of opinion that weakens the point. I simply intended to show that different people value different things in a moral code, whether you believe morality is objective or subjective, and whether you believe they are right or wrong.
It's fine buddy, it's fine, just a minor nitpick of mine

I guess it's a matter of perspective and who you're working with. I like to try and make a concrete character from the beginning so that I know what I'm getting into and dont default to the "me" personality.

Sounds good to me. I'm sorta lazy and my ideas are rarely ever concrete =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back