writing advice?

Osthavula

Deliciously insightful one
So... This is a newbie question. I'm the one person who always have ideas of what RP I should do, and perhaps even an image of how my character is, what they do.... Without executing it properly.

I'm okay with writing a character when he/she is by himself/herself, but when it comes to interactions my posts became very short. I'm worried and would not dare to join posts that ask for more than three paragraphs consistently. I dislike one-liner (horrible experiences with people when I started RP) but at times, I feel like I am at the border of it.

So I purposely add things to it. I tried saying what he/she does, or describe the environment, or just how he or she felt. But sometimes that runs out, and it is hard for me to imagine someone who does different things with each sentences, or have too many thoughts for a split second.

So tell me, when you are writing about dialogues, what do you add to it??

I recommend finding people who don't mind when you don't post 3+ paragraphs because you can only get so many during one scene. I think it is okay to shorten it up when it comes to interactions, or else it will just get repetitive. You are probably doing just fine, the only way I could think that you could make your posts longer is if you

1)Give more detailed descriptions of how your character feels, their thoughts, the environment.

2) Add a shitload of fluff.

That's about it.

This is just how I write, but my posts end up being bloated despite nothing happening in a scene because I take the time to write out every detail of actions in a scene.

My OC is supposed to jump up a tall wall and kill a bunch of guards then signal to the rest of his army that the walls are clear of enemies.

* OC tossed a blink dagger into the air. The knife soared through the sky and as it peaked at the very top of the wall, OC activated its enchanted ability. In a flash of bright white light and smoke, OC disappeared from his position on the ground and reappeared gripping his dagger at the top of the wall. The guard standing in front of him was instantly taken down with a swift slash with the dagger through his throat. As the first guard fell to the ground, the few others scrambled to the patrol towers where the alarm bells were. OC had to think fast, if the guards made it to the bells, the forces in the city would know of their army's presence.

OC then tossed two of his blink daggers to the right and the left, aiming precisely at the two guards running away. The dagger tossed to the right hit its target, striking the guard in the back. OC teleported to that dagger, leaping on top of the guard and taking him down swiftly with another thrust. OC quickly teleported to the dagger on the left, landing on the cold ground of the stone wall. The guard on the left had a considerable head-start and managed to dodge the dagger OC threw at him. The OC got on his feet and pursued the guard on foot. The guard was considerably farther ahead of him, but the OC was quick and began to catch up. He overtook the guard just as he was about to reach the door of the patrol tower and tackled the guard against the wall of the patrol tower.

The two got into a melee, both sides evenly matched. A guard resting on top of the patrol tower awoke when he heard the noises of their fight. Just as he was about to ring the alarm bell. OC noticed his presence and broke his engagement from the other guard temporarily by landing a clean punch to the face, putting him into a daze. Using a blink dagger to teleport to the top of the patrol tower, OC took out the guard and threw him onto the guard the recovering guard at the bottom of the patrol tower. OC jumped down and finished the job, eliminating both guards in a single strike. To signal his victory and to communicate to his men at the bottom of the wall, he raised his hand and released a magical flare of white light into the sky. Similar flares filled the sky as his men finished the job of eliminating guard stations at different sections of the walled city. *

Boom,  three paragraphs of the same content that can be said in one sentence.

I would always say write to purpose, not wordcount.

I will gladly take a line of well-chosen words over three paragraphs of oblivious, waffling incompetence. If it moves the plot forward and engages intelligently with the last relevant post, all is well. 

Personally, any time I see someone reference their character's appearance multiple times per post, over several posts, I write them off as a waste of my time.

Well two four things.

1. What is it specifically that makes you uncomfortable when interacting with other people that you don't face when writing for yourself?

2. Don't worry about post length. Most people don't care how long you post is as long as your progressing the story and giving their character something to reply to.

3. Read other people's roleplay posts. Especially people that you like or think write well. Try to mimic the parts of their post that you liked. It's okay if you make mistakes we all do. 

4. Ask your partner for tips. If you feel like you don't have enough in your post ask them specifically what you can add to make it better for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back