• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Wrath of the Magi

Lightning would definitely be a 3-1 sort. While she would love to violently overthrow the church immediately, she has the patience to learn and prepare for it. c;

EDIT: Maybe 2-1 is more fitting? She doesn't necessarily wanna rule the world (not that she would be opposed to it... Okay she totally wants to rule the world but shhh), right now her goal is mostly just down with the church, but she doesn't exactly have a social revolution in mind.

She'd prefer to attack on all fronts.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Blackadder: Sounds fun!

Personality-wise, Aristom would have started out twitchy and wary. Would have originally joined "for mutual protection and [to] avoid persecution." Ari values belonging to a group. If he learned some politics from the group, he'd support category 2 or 3 activities. Any subcategory works for him. As a player, I'm very much interested in subcategory 1.

Personal interests:

1. Personal privacy

2. Improving society (for which he may willfully ignore other people's sense of privacy)

3. Subverting his parents' wishes and staying far away from them.

He suspects they were previously in some sort of cult, since they didn't turn him in to authorities. He does not want to know.

Who is looking to be the most crafty character?

It'll help me decide what kind of Magocracy ruin you end up rebuilding.

There was mention of a Chronomancer and a Guardian? Would those work? I can do the heavy lifting on the base if people like.

Crafty as in workmanship or slyness, Grey? If it's in reference to recreating devices and rebuilding the ancient world, it would probably be my Chronomancer, since his devotion would be focused solely on bringing back the creations of the old Magocracy, with help from the other types of mages to supply the necessary elements, of course. He/she would probably be a perfectionist, trying to duplicate the past successes using modern techniques, like a magic-powered antique renovator of sorts xD

Alexandra said:
There was mention of a Chronomancer and a Guardian? Would those work? I can do the heavy lifting on the base if people like.
Stickdom went Chrono instead of Guardian. We have a Cryo (me), Chrono (Stick), Heart (Cirno), Commune (you) and Torch (Anomaly) currently lined up.

Hey all! @Grey @Alexandra and @Stickdom

You 3 have helped me on the forums and I truly appreciate each of you <3

I read up on the character types and they are all absolutely fantastic and it was so hard to choose but my favorites in order are the Conflagrant and the Necromancer. What do you think you need? (If I may join) once decided I will write a detailed character summary, then you all can decide if you would like me to join this RP :3

DopeJackalope said:
Hey all! @Grey @Alexandra and @Stickdom
You 3 have helped me on the forums and I truly appreciate each of you <3

I read up on the character types and they are all absolutely fantastic and it was so hard to choose but my favorites in order are the Conflagrant and the Necromancer. What do you think you need? (If I may join) once decided I will write a detailed character summary, then you all can decide if you would like me to join this RP :3
Pleasure to see you again :D I think when you join (since we are a very inclusive bunch (well, most of us xD ) and have no reason to deny you), it really only matters what you want to play. We have no specifications as to what we're looking for, only that Grey wanted a well-rounded group and both of your choices are so far unique from anyone else's, so I'd say choose whichever intrigues you more. Do you want to be a Necromancer and have fun with undead minions, or are you the type to get your hands dirty (or set them on fire) and barbecue people for funsies? And even those are just two options out of many, the system and characterization allows for total customization, so I'd say go wild and think of how you want your character to act and what you want them to do, and then decide which of those fits you better. :)

Blackadder said:
Stickdom went Chrono instead of Guardian. We have a Cryo (me), Chrono (Stick), Heart (Cirno), Commune (you) and Torch (Anomaly) currently lined up.
Sweet. Great cross-section here.

I think my personality type that I enjoy roleplaying most would go better with the Necromancer's whimsical and artistic traits.

'I scantly remember the faces of my mother and my father.' Eva spoke to herself. 'I knew I loved them, very much. I knew I tried my hardest to be a better daughter for them, but I was so young and I didn't understand what was happening.' She reassured herself.

'I have a power, I don't know who gave it to me but it exists within me, and back then I couldn't control it. The whispers started when I was 8 and I couldn't make out what they were saying to me, and I couldn't make them stop. I would go nights without sleeping covered in sweat, I screamed to drown them out and would tremble from lack of rest. My parents rushed to my aid but they couldn't help me they thought I was mad. However they stayed by me, they called upon doctors to ease my pain but every one of them left more bewildered than they had before they arrived. Angry and sleep deprived I ran into the forest and I sat, I tried to concentrate and hear what these voices were saying, hours I sat by my lonesome and concentrated then come home and try to sleep. I did this for weeks and eventually one day they quietened with no reason or rhyme but I could sleep yet again.

A couple years later I was helping my parents till a spot of land that had laid dormant until my father saved up enough to purchase it. As I was tilling I hit something, a corpse of a dead cat had been buried there. Child-like and confused I bent over the partially decayed and twisted corpse and touched it. It began to move and sift out of the dirt. I remember I was so happy I had saved the cat's life and brought it back home to show mama and papa. They gaped in horror as they saw what was an undead corpse of an animal. My father grabbed me and my mother and told us to go upstairs. My mother ushered me up the stairs and we left the cat and papa alone, I heard the cat growling and hissing and my father saying something about demons and a loud thud and crackle from the fireplace. That was the last I saw of the cat.

Instances like the ones above had started to happen more frequently, I began to know how to filter out words from the whispers that were in my head. I could hear what they were telling me to some extent. I heard mothers crying out for their newborns, young men's last thoughts before dying in battle, children crying for their parents, and at first in haunted me. It sent shivers down my spine and threw me into a dark depression until one day I heard a little girl humming a song. It lifted my spirits and I drowned out all the other painful and sadistic things I was hearing, I hummed the song too.

My parents were exasperated. I tried my best to hide the things that made me different but they caught me speaking to people they couldn't see, frequently visiting the town's graveyard by the church even though I was forbade to go there and the priest thought I must be possessed. He had told the town I was a danger and that I raised the dead and was speaking to Satan himself. He would come to my house and demand I be exorcised but my parents knew that I was not possessed, I had done nothing to bring anyone harm, I was their sweet little girl. Eventually the priest led the townspeople to my doorstep and demanded that I be burnt at the stake. My parents shouted and refused they barred the doors shut, my mother grabbed me and told me to run as far away as I could, and I did. I ran far away.

The last thing I remember as I ran into the forest was the smell, the pungent smell of scorched wood. I looked back and I saw the smoke billowing from where mama and papa were, from where the house was. I ran faster and faster until I was so deep in the forest I couldn't recall which was was which.'

Eva ran away when she was about 12 years old with nothing but the clothes on her back. She cried and was so desperately lost she wanted to die. The voices around her heard her call and some of them wanted to help the poor girl, they told her how to hunt, how to make shelter, basic skills to survive. When she eventually found another town she was extremely wary of people and stole supplies she needed to get by on her own and some new clothes. Years went by as she went from town to town and was eventually able to control her powers better. She became extremely skilled at carving things from bone and would even sell them to townspeople she came across if they were interested. She made trinkets, pipes, knives and other weapons and even musical instruments. She began to trust people again and even made some friends along the way but she still thought of herself as an outcast and decided the life as a lonely wanderer was best for her.

And I'm thinking category 1 and eventually 2 with subcategory 1

@Grey @Stickdom

DopeJackalope said:
Eva ran away when she was about 12 years old with nothing but the clothes on her back. She cried and was so desperately lost she wanted to die.
Eva?

Oh snap!

Stickdom said:
EDIT: Question I forgot to ask, is it guaranteed that we're starting in The Frontier? I also assumed that we'd be there most of the time, since it's outside of the long arm of the Kelene Inquisitors, I was just wondering if anything had been said about the starting point being elsewhere.
Sorry, never spotted the edit here. We'll be either in the Frontier, or possibly nearing the end of a journey to it as the game starts ~

Looking good, @DopeJackalope.

Only real misstep is that Satan doesn't exist in this setting - different religion entirely.

I'll try and set up the thread today so everyone can talk through character creation and relationships.

Depending on the kind of Necromancer you want to play, you guys now have a choice between a Labyrinth (an old Chronomancer stronghold to renovate) or Ziggurat (Necromancer version). A Cryolyte's Fortress or Communer's Nursery are also not out of the question.

Nursery! Nursery! Making our way through ancient halls with half-formed creatures of elder magical design sounds like rad fun! (though I wouldn't be put out with a Ziggy or Labyrinth either. Fortress sounds... honestly, straight-forward. I'm sure that I'm sorely mistaken, since nothing in this world is straight-forward xD )

Hello everyone. I am definitely interested to join this roleplay and I am really amazed by how much detail this contains. I am a beginner in dice roleplay, though I did have a few experience with the pen and paper type, but not on roleplaying as a whole.

I would like to join as a Shadow, if there are still spots left anyway. I do have a few questions though. How are women treated a a whole? Since the roleplay seems a bit medieval, are women on a lower r social standing than men or can they be considered equals? Also are there any Magi friendly communities or are they hated by the whole society?

I know that the answer to my questions may be found in the doc but I just wanted to make sure before I write my character summary.

CrimsonEclipse said:
Hello everyone. I am definitely interested to join this roleplay and I am really amazed by how much detail this contains. I am a beginner in dice roleplay, though I did have a few experience with the pen and paper type, but not on roleplaying as a whole.
I would like to join as a Shadow, if there are still spots left anyway. I do have a few questions though. How are women treated a a whole? Since the roleplay seems a bit medieval, are women on a lower r social standing than men or can they be considered equals? Also are there any Magi friendly communities or are they hated by the whole society?

I know that the answer to my questions may be found in the doc but I just wanted to make sure before I write my character summary.
Pen & Paper's the best way to start, in my opinion.

So the treatment of women varies pretty hugely between culture, socio-economic class, and sometimes even by region. In most of Kelen, the central country geographically, church doctrine has a strong hold and women are considered lustier and less intelligent than men. For the peasantry this is hard to overcome. For the nobility, it can vary but generally inhibits their mobility just as badly. Out in one of the western fiefdoms, though, is an order of lady knights, so women are typically more respected there.

Meanwhile up north in Hrothgard, the settled people follow the same church and so tend treat women as poorly, but for the nobility women are starting to achieve more positions of prominence. Among the hill tribes, women and men are considered different but equal, and frequently fight together against enemies of the clan.

In the far west, in H'kaer, women are considered wholly equal because they're functionally communists. Out east, on the Frontier, it varies wildly between settlements.

Down south, in Lama, society is largely matriarchal by religious mandate.

There are no known Magi-friendly communities - openly behaving in such a way would surely bring the Inquisition down on their heads, and no one wants that. It's very rare an Inquisitor is taken to task for civilian casualties, because when he says there was a Demon involved people tend not to disagree.

I understand. Also, how far are the reaches of the Inquisition? Do they cover the whole of Imeria or are there places where they are not welcome? And is it possible for our characters to be nobles?

CrimsonEclipse said:
I understand. Also, how far are the reaches of the Inquisition? Do they cover the whole of Imeria or are there places where they are not welcome? And is it possible for our characters to be nobles?
They cover Kelen, Hrothgard, and the Frontier, and are sometimes permitted in H'kaer. The Frontier is somewhere they have difficulty policing - there aren't many of them, and traveling the Frontier can take months of questioning hostile settlers in distant towns, exploring dangerous ruins, and evading monsters. So it's the safest place for Magi, who can more readily deal with such things.

It's absolutely possible to have been a noble - but you can expect to be declared dead or stripped of title if people know you're a Magus.

Okay, one more question. How far are the reach of the fae? Just curious about this one since they like taking children, I might be able to incorporate tlit with my character. What do faes do with those children anyway? Really sorry for all these questions. Hope I'm not too annoying.

CrimsonEclipse said:
Okay, one more question. How are are the reach of the fae? Just curious about this one since they like taking children, I might be able to incorporate tlit with my character. What do faes do with those children anyway? Really sorry for all these questions. Hope I'm not too annoying.
Questions are good!

The Fae can be practically anywhere, at any time, and therefore can conceivably steal any child not properly protected. What they do with them... that varies. Some will eat them. Some raise them as soldiers. Some demand an exchange that always profits them more. If your character was taken by the Fae, the only way they came out of it without terrible consequences is if they were around twelve or so, and had practiced their powers enough to use them to escape.

I should probably stress now that Fae are exceedingly dangerous and you don't want to meet them. @The Fuzz can I get player confirmation on this one? Fae are terrible? (also are you joining?)

So if a fae kidnaps a child, will they try to deceive the parents that the cuold is still there? Like using an illusion or something?

Really last one before I sleep, do all magi have mutations? I saw the mutation part in the doc but I didn't quite understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back