Other Would you want your RP to have a fandom?

Nobelia

I've seen at least a handful of RPs (not from this site, however) where they received a fair amount of attention from non-players--such as fanart, fanworks, graphics (i.e posters), and even fanfiction. Some even have a small little fandom of their own (debatable), even if it weren't exactly concentrated. That made me think: are there people who would appreciate this kind of thing? How would you consider this gesture? Uncomfortable? Flattering? I'm curious, as this kind of happenstance isn't necessarily as common an occurrence in the RP world.

Last edited:
I am pretty much free use when it comes to my ideas. If ya wanna make art, characters, spin offs, etc. based on any of my ideas your more than free to do so. All I ask is that you let me know so I can maybe add it to my own archives.

I absolutely love it! Or would love it, but as far as I heard it's never happened to me... I love seeing other people's vision of my ideas, specially when translated to a different medium, and I love seeing my ideas (especially the worlds and magic I worldbuild) spreading. <3

I've never seen anything like that! Fanart and mini-fandom from players - yes. But from non-players? That sounds very cool! Means that rp is super interesting to read even for non-players, or the setting is inspiring.

I would love to see that happen, but all my rp are private so it can only happen between players XD

I've never seen anything like that! Fanart and mini-fandom from players - yes. But from non-players? That sounds very cool! Means that rp is super interesting to read even for non-players, or the setting is inspiring.

I would love to see that happen, but all my rp are private so it can only happen between players XD

I agree that it would be unlikely for any fandom to develop over a 1x1.

I absolutely love it! Or would love it, but as far as I heard it's never happened to me... I love seeing other people's vision of my ideas, specially when translated to a different medium, and I love seeing my ideas (especially the worlds and magic I worldbuild) spreading. <3
Do you think there's a reason why RPs aren't inclined to garner interest from non-players?

Do you think there's a reason why RPs aren't inclined to garner interest from non-players?

Yeah I would say three reasons.

1. Accessibility. Groups are slightly more accessible than 1x1. If only because they’ll usually have a plot synopsis to tell you what the roleplay is about. 1x1 (assuming they are in threads) tend to just start with posts and assume the relevant people know what is going on.

Add in the fancy coding some people use and it can just be difficult to read much less follow along with the story.

2. Writing. So writing quality fluctuates enormously even within a single roleplay. You have people that do rapid chat style messages back and forth. People who write thousands of words (most of which are filler) about once a month.

And it’s hard to keep interested due to quality issues or update rates.

3. Time
So most people on this site specifically have a finite amount of free time. They are mostly looking to fill that with writing their own roleplays not reading someone else’s.

Those would be off the top of my head reasons.

3. Time
So most people on this site specifically have a finite amount of free time. They are mostly looking to fill that with writing their own roleplays not reading someone else’s.

I think this is the main reason RP don't get much interest from non-players. Usually people have their own stuff and rarely check other people's rp, even if they're out in the open threads.

The closest thing to a fandom I've ever experienced was back when I used to rp on Neopets! There weren't any fanarts/posters/etc though. I would love to be a part of that! Sounds like fun.

I suppose both?
Well, in that case I shall answer in general, since my specific roleplays don't particularly have a big reason for not acquiring a fandom/art from outside etc... At least none that I know of.

If I had to guess the reasons why people would not do the fandom, we'd be here all day. Honestly, it's not something that I think intuitively comes to mind, other people's RPs just aren't as appealing as fandom material because there isn't much of a community, and if you want to participate in it, well, you can you just join the roleplay.

Hence, it may make more sense to ask the opposite question- why WOULD someone do fanart or anything as such of an RP? There would be a few conditions:

1. The reason must be one that would NOT be solved by just joining the RP
2. Being in the fandom so to speak would solve that reason's problem.
3. The reason must be tied to an intense appreciation for the RP or those participating in it (or be commissioned, but I'm not counting that)

With that, a few reasons come to mind. The first is some friendship within the roleplay. In a roleplay I was once in, Hell City, the GM had some friends who made art for them on an almost regular basis, and just because they appreciated that friendship and the GM's character they ended up making it.

The second reason is reading an awesome roleplay by happenstance. This needs a truly extreme entertainment value from the RP itself, making someone who happens to read it be so engrossed they end up making art for it.

The most accessible one though, despite the fact I don't think I've ever really seen it done, is RPs that share a world- whether it be just the setting or an outright shared storyline- resulting from a particular person wanting to do a spinoff of the world or story. However, that implies something very important: the world needs to be just specific enough that the other person can easily insert a spin-off of it, but still feel like it's actually the same world and not just a different loose fantasy.

That, I feel, is wherein the answer lies as to why people don't usually do art/fandom /etc.. for roleplays while being non- participants. People just aren't anywhere near as interested in using someone else's stuff or reading stuff they don't care about when they could be doing their own thing. So if the few that do, you need them to have the talent to make the art or enough interest in the story or world to do a spin-off, and that is after picking YOUR RP out of the thousands of existing ones. Within that, your very RP also has to meet requirements that give them room to do their own thing and be specifically appealing to them.

The planet's have to align for the thing you're talking about to happen in the first place is basically what I am saying, unless you had some other external connection to the person making the art or fandom.

Yeah I would say three reasons.

1. Accessibility. Groups are slightly more accessible than 1x1. If only because they’ll usually have a plot synopsis to tell you what the roleplay is about. 1x1 (assuming they are in threads) tend to just start with posts and assume the relevant people know what is going on.

Add in the fancy coding some people use and it can just be difficult to read much less follow along with the story.

2. Writing. So writing quality fluctuates enormously even within a single roleplay. You have people that do rapid chat style messages back and forth. People who write thousands of words (most of which are filler) about once a month.

And it’s hard to keep interested due to quality issues or update rates.

3. Time

Those would be off the top of my head reasons.

Time is probably the biggest factor, imo.

The closest thing to a fandom I've ever experienced was back when I used to rp on Neopets! There weren't any fanarts/posters/etc though. I would love to be a part of that! Sounds like fun.

Not to mention its quite rare to find RPs that are coherent and well-woven, as well as have a sound ending. I personally think fandom culture in RPs would be interesting, especially if several writers get exposure and some kind of boost to a better future as authors for that matter.

Last edited:
It's always rather flattering to know that other people are interested in your writing, isn't it? Even receiving a 'like' from someone not involved in the roleplay can make my heart do a little pitter-pat. I think there's just too much sheer volume for people to really browse roleplays for good reading material. And the quality is lower, generally, than if one was to go to a site like fanfiction.net.

It's always rather flattering to know that other people are interested in your writing, isn't it? Even receiving a 'like' from someone not involved in the roleplay can make my heart do a little pitter-pat. I think there's just too much sheer volume for people to really browse roleplays for good reading material. And the quality is lower, generally, than if one was to go to a site like fanfiction.net.

That's certainly true. The variety of writing styles on roleplay sites clash much more, and they can fluctuate wildly in quality -- if not that, then meaningful story content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back