Other Would you livestream yourself performing an activity they requested to prove your existence to a writing partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure in what scenario my RP partner would need this if we have known each other for years and presumably, built up a rapport. But also I think a voice call or photo with a date/time/username would be just as sufficient.

I guess the short answer is no because there are other ways of accomplishing the same goal.

I can't think of a situation where I'd feel like that request would be justifiable from a mere roleplay partner. Immediate drop.

Edit: From the extra context inside the poll, this behaviour still doesn't sit right with me. My privacy is worth more than satiating whatever fears this writing partner may have and no amount of years knowing someone gives them the right to it. If they would drop me as a partner as a result then so be it.

Last edited:
I agree with you all. I was the one being told to turn on my camera and perform an act to verify my existence. I said no and blocked them. Which hurt me, as I saw her as a friend.

What kind of unhinged request is that? That's grounds for immediate block.

Strawpoll

Feel free to leave your vote. I am curious how the rp world would feel about this issue.
you know you can set up a poll on the thread itself, right?

But to answer the question, I would not. I don't do social media. I don't post pictures of myself or my family online. Much less do a livestream. I actually find it a little ridiculous as to how ready everyone is to put themselves on the internet nowadays. If they want some proof of my writing capability, I have writing samples readily available. If they want something more recent, they can give me a prompt and I will write my reply to it thusly. If that isn't satisfactory enough for them.... too bad?

you know you can set up a poll on the thread itself, right?

But to answer the question, I would not. I don't do social media. I don't post pictures of myself or my family online. Much less do a livestream. I actually find it a little ridiculous as to how ready everyone is to put themselves on the internet nowadays. If they want some proof of my writing capability, I have writing samples readily available. If they want something more recent, they can give me a prompt and I will write my reply to it thusly. If that isn't satisfactory enough for them.... too bad?
I am aware. But the purpose was to get thoughts across multiple roleplay spaces to better represent how others felt so I can compare if I was overreacting.

I am aware. But the purpose was to get thoughts across multiple roleplay spaces to better represent how others felt so I can compare if I was overreacting.
you're definitely not overreacting. The community doesn't typically function like his... like, anywhere. I've been around online RP for a while and not once ever has anyone requested this. Nor have I ever seen someone require some kind of "Are you a bot" type of verification from potential partners. Either this person was paranoid or has been watching too many AI conspiracy videos.

No one person has the right to know whether or not I am real.

Such a request is a pure and utter violation of privacy and personal security, and is considered illegal in many areas of the world. Especially if this blanket question is also being directed at minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back