• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy World of Arstider // Closed

River Siegfreid

River blinked a few times when Max slammed her fist into the wall. "Who's the idiot? The wall? I really don't think that wall did anything to you-hey hey hey chill out will you?" When she grabbed his hand and roughly dragged him into the room he grumbled disapprovingly but followed along. His eyes narrowed down at her as she went off at him for wandering the halls. "Do you mind? Hey-Aspen-wait-" It was too late. Aspen was gone and he was left alone with a seething Max. "I'm pretty sure Asher's the only fool out of all of us that believes your a guy. And I can't lie, it's just not in my nature. Knowing you're who you are I can't just act like you're some guard."

River let out a loud sigh and pushed a few loose black pieces of bangs out of his face. "I'll avoid saying your name, I'll avoid he's and she's. After tomorrow it won't matter though, my father will be out of his seat and someone else will. Someone who will listen to reason. For fucks sake they could call YOUR name tomorrow. Have you considered that yet?" Was he angry that she was upset? No. She had a goal and River was literally fucking it up for her. "My arm is fine, it will heal. Here." He pulled out the silk embroidered handkerchief and dabbed away the tears he could see in her eyes. "We will get through this. I couldn't save you back then but I will save you now."

Once her tears were gone he sat down on the loveseat in the room with a small sigh. "They're going to strike big tomorrow, we know that for a fact. I say we should make sure we all have something on us to protect ourselves, who knows who they'll strike next."

Asher Forrest

Asher bowed as he entered the suite and shone Astoria his usual bright smile. "I am deeply in your debt for your rapid aide, Lady Astoria. I only wish that I could have gotten to you before your ankle was injured. But Ember's right, shouldn't you be resting in your room?" Asher moved to the couch and sat next to her, his eyes looking from the fire to Astoria. "You look upset again. I know what happened was terrifying and I'm so sorry I failed to protect you sooner. Tomorrow it won't just be Max and I guarding you, the majority of the guards will be in the Ceremony to keep guard of you and the council."

Quietly Asher cleared his throat and folded his hands together. "I know sending you guys packing in your carriages right now isn't an option. We get this done and change will happen in the Kingdoms, we'll find who's doing this and why, and then you can live out your days peacefully as Queen and King. I vow you guys will get out of this kingdom in one piece. We've already got one suspect, and from the sounds of it I'll have my hands full with Neve's brother. But I'm ready for him and I'll keep you protected." Asher hoped that this provided her some peace of mind for the night, he knew that she would have problems sleeping.

Marxine Augustine

"Thanks." Marxine smiled sheepishly as River wiped away her tears and sat her down on the loveseat. "I'm sorry I get so...well you know. I just have put so much work into getting this far." She reached up and finally removed her bandana and shrugged her guard coat off her shoulders before dropping her head on the back of the loveseat dramatically. "Come on River, even if I hadn't been banished they wouldn't call my name. Remember? I was the trouble maker princess, even before my mother passed away." She sat back up on the loveseat and looked over at him for a moment as he spoke. It broke her stone heart a little bit hearing him say that, there was nothing he could have done back then. The only one who could have kept the banishment from happening was her father and he didn't. It was such a dark time.... over something so stupid! Something her father promised her he would never force her to do! On her deathbed her mother told her to make sure that she married someone that protected her and her happiness. Back then Marxine was so young that she just giggled and said of course, she never even understood that arranged marriages were a thing. Her father watched that interaction and vowed to his dying wife he wouldn't do that to their daughter. But as soon as step mother arrives apparently that all went out the window!

"There was nothing you could have done back then River, don't sweat it. Honestly the past five years hasn't been that bad. Not once you get used to no mans land." Marxine shrugged and went wide eyed as an idea dawned on her. "Hey, want to stay here tonight? You really shouldn't be roaming the halls this late and I have an idea I want to run by you."

-

That night Marxine hatched her plan and did what was needed to make it all come together. Whoever was involved, at this point they could be fairly certain Dante and Fern were working with her step mother at least if not others, knew Marxine was hiding in the guard. So what better to do than catch them off guard? River and her got an early start the morning of the ceremony and began pleading her case with some of the others. First was Astoria and Ash, who not only did she need word that they wouldn't arrest her on sight but also that they would provide her immunity in Vesna in case Autumn tried something. Then was Neve who of course already knew she was a woman and seemed way to into the idea of messing with the older royals. They didn't have time to talk to the others before River had to be leaving to get ready so Marxine stuck behind with Neve in hopes of borrowing a dress.

It was hours later when they were ready for the ceremony. Neve and Marxine were waiting in the meeting room for the others to join them and she was wringing her hands together nervously while stumbling slightly on the heels that now felt completely foreign on her feet. "I'm still shocked you had a dress that looked not wintery Neve." Marxine pulled at the long sleeves of the scarlet colored dress and chuckled. It had been a long time since she dressed like this... the ballgown felt strange on her now and she kept brushing her loose curls away from her face. "Gods Asher is going to be so pissed."

Ash Maidenhair

At the sound of his door opening, Ash sat up prepared for an argument but was shocked when he saw it wasn't Tori and was Ember instead. "Oh, hello." He sat up on his bed and looked at her for a moment before figuring out what to say. Honestly he was fairly shocked that she had come to check on him. "No, I'm okay. Thank you. It was only a few stitches, I grew up the youngest of a bunch of brothers so its not the worst I've seen thankfully. Ash tried his hardest to chuckle but was struggling, especially with the mention of his brothers.

"It wasn't great. I mean it hasn't been that long since I saw him but today it was like he was a completely different person than I knew him to be." Ash stood up from where he sat and walked over to her, patting her on the head slightly as he mustered but a small grin. "But I'll be okay. I dont want people like that in my life anyways. Now, let's walk you back to your room. No reason for a lady like yourself to be wandering the halls alone at night let alone during all of this."

Ash led Ember out of the suite after letting Tori know where he was going. On the walk towards her suite he told her thank you for talking to him and thank you for her quick action to stop the bleeding earlier. Once back to her room he said his goodnight and began heading back to his suite but stopped by the kitchens and borrowed a bottle of whiskey to keep him company. Ash had never been a big drinker but tonight he needed this to calm his racing thoughts.

-

In the morning Ash woke up at a table down in the kitchens by one of the maids who finally felt he needed to wake. She was terrified he would be angry or yell at her but instead he simply apologized for the inconvenience and quickly made his way back to his room. Once back he quckly bathed and pulled on his suit for the day. It was a deep emerald green with a cream colored tunic underneath. A robe embroidered with large trees was pulled over everything and soon he was ready and waiting for Tori on their loveseat. At some point during the morning River stopped by with the small guard and pleaded Marxine's case. Honestly Ash had never understood what had happened to the woman or why but listening to them now he didn't see her as a threat. Plus if she was, she would have likely done something by now and not outed herself when it was dangerous for her to do so.

Ash and Tori vowed protection to the woman although Ash personally still believed they were all out of their minds to stay and go to this ceremony.

Once it was time for them to join the others Ash walked arm in arm with Tori down the hall, "You know I am sorry about fighting yesterday. I really am. I shouldn't have yelled at you like I did I just... I don't think I will ever understand all of this. I mean, I'm just not built for it like you are." Ash smiled sadly over at his fiance and gave her a quick kiss on the top of the head before heading into the room and joining the others. For now it seemed that Neve and Marxine were the only two to come together as of yet.

"Well, I suppose that even when shit does go insane today at least we will have surprised them a bit." Ash chuckled but then cleared his throat and looked to Marxine, "I know you probably don't know, and that I should wait and ask Asher but... do you happen to know how the interrogation when last night?"

Astoria Primrose

"Ah yes, I just got up for some water when you guys knocked. Thank you Ember." Astoria nodded and thanked the woman as she made her way over to Ash's bedroom and let go a small sigh of relief. She was glad to have literally anyone else here to hopefully break some of the tension in the suite. It seemed that Ember was only in there for a short moment before Ash and her returned explaining he was going to walk her to her room.

"I- you don't need to be so formal with me Asher. Please just call me Tori when its just us. I understand your duty but no one is here to yell at you for honorifics." Tori chuckled and adjusted on the couch, pulling one of the plush throws over her lap as she looked over at him thanking her. "No need to thank me, I was just repaying the debt. If you hadn't..." Her voice faded as she thought back to being dragged through the ballroom and her hand went to her wrist, rubbing it lightly where Fern had yanked her away. God what if he hadn't stopped Fern. Up until know Astoria hadn't even began to think about what Fern's plans were and it made a chill run up her spine. Astoria took in a deep breath and closed her eyes for a minute to push out the anxiety that was taking over her brain before looking back over at Asher. "Seriously, thank you." She leaned over and placed her hand on his opposite cheek before planting a short kiss on the other.

Then Astoria wasn't really sure what took over but... "Asher I-" By Gods why did she feel like this. She used the hand that was still on his face and turned his face slightly towards her before searching his face for any signs of repulsion before pressing her lips against his.

-

Last night things went to a place that Astoria truly didn't know she was capable of... it was always Ash. It had always been Ash. But she also always knew that they loved each other, they weren't in love with each other. They didn't have passion of chemistry. They were best friends but... wasn't that what was best for a marriage? Diplomacy and someone who can understand you, someone that makes you happy. If so than why did she ruin his trust with a man she had known less than a week.

In the morning Astoria woke in her bed next to Asher and panicked, waking him up and telling him he really needed to leave before Ash saw him still there. Though since her fiance never returned to the suite last night she had her own questions about where he was all night. Shortly after Ashers departure Ash returned and River wasn't far behind with Marxine. Honestly Tori was shocked to see the woman and nearly called for the guards right then and there but... she was in no place to pass judgement on anyone so she decided to sit down and listen to her pleas. She felt pity for the girl... in their kingdom they only ever heard that she was removed for treason. Never did she know that the treason was refusing to MARRY. That was asinine!

After meeting with the others Tori got ready, braiding her long hair into a crown on her head and weaving her vine crown into it. Her dress was a light green color with flowers sewn into the chiffon fabric.Once ready she joined Ash and they made their way down to meet the others. Her guilt was rising in her throat like bile and it didn't get any better when he began apologizing. "You don't need to apologize Ash, really." Little did he know how true that statement was.

Inside the meeting room Astoria put on her royal smile and nodded to the two women, "You look lovely, both of you."

Aspen Rift

"Hey now it was never my intention to quit, it's been an involuntary situation that the bar is not open currently. Though that doesn't appear to be stopping you from being a friend to the wine." Aspen smiled and picked up the wine glass, cheers-ing it towards her and taking a long drink. He had a feeling he would be needing it and he wasn't wrong. Aspen hadn't been sure how he was going to bring up his memories to Neve, thankfully she brought it up herself but now the actual work of explaining himself came and he found himself simply taking another large gulp of wine.

"Well Neve your brother has always been confusing now hasn't he." Aspen chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck and looked over at her. "What if I told you I got my memories back, a bit at least. It happened when I saw Dante earlier." The memory returned and caused Aspen to stammer a little before continuing, "I was that friend?" He said it like a question but only due to his own nervousness. "I what I- What I am trying to say is that your old friend Aspen and me Aspen are the same." English was not his strong point this evening.

"I don't really want to talk about why I was gone... not right now at least but please just know I didn't want to go. You and Dante were my best friends back then... and this place was the only home I knew. Just try and trust me when I say I didn't leave you, I was removed from here." Aspen downed the rest of the wine and reached over to smooth out some of her hair. "I'll be ready to talk about it more soon but it's really fresh right now. But I promise that as long as I can help it, I won't leave you again."

-

The morning of the ceremony a guard stopped by to let Aspen know he was free to go again but honestly he had been here this long and he promised Neve he wouldn't leave again so... to the ceremony it was. Aspen was given a suit to wear so that he wasn't in his commoners clothes during such an important event and as soon as he was ready he went to the meeting room to find the others.

"Ah- so that's why you didn't tell me who you were Max. We truly could have bonded over being criminals together but since I am now a free man I must tell you that I will be looking down on you now." Aspen smirked at the red haired woman he now recognized from the wanted poster that River had shared with the group. "So what do we think will happen today friends? What was the end goal of these events?"

Neve Juniper

At first when Neve and Aspen were introduced she had noted the similarities to her childhood friend, but when she heard that he was the son of the bar owner she didn't think anything further of it. Aspen wasn't too common of a name but she shrugged it off. But as Aspen sat next to her and explained that he was indeed the Aspen she grew up with it came by as quite a shock. What could she do? Apologize to him? He said he was removed from the castle and it broke her heart. But, he said he'd explain soon, even promising he wouldn't leave again. She promised to wait until he was ready to talk about it.

After they finished off the bottle they went back to their rooms to rest up for the ceremony, though to be honest Neve didn't get much rest. Her few dreams were filled with nightmares of the possible outcome of the Ceremony. There were screams and bloodshed, and when she woke up from the final nightmare she stayed awake. Thankfully the girl that did her wavy hair and makeup was able to cover the dark circles underneath her eyes. The girl had left once she was finished so she could change into her purple silk gown, heels, and strapped the the daggers to her thighs by the time Marxine and River were at her door. When they told her their plans she was 200% down, whatever caused Aspen to leave the castle was her parents fault and she was ready to tell them where to shove it.

Picking out a dress with Marxine was exciting, she had never got to do that with a girlfriend before. Most of the dresses she had were white or cool colors, though she did have a few warmer colored ones. Thankfully they found one she liked and were able to get her ready in time. Neve was absolutely living for this, it was something to take her mind off the worries of Aspen and the Ceremony.

"My mother had that dress made but I never wore it. It looks amazing on you, glad I kept it." Neve finished applying the nude lipstick in the mirror of the meeting room, smirking slightly at the thought of Asher. "Asher's a smart guy. He won't recognize you at first but he'll understand when he hears why." Soon Ash and Tori joined and she couldn't help but smiling at the pair. "You guys look great." As Aspen joined the group she suddenly felt a little awkward. Her cheeks heated when she remembered last night and she had to refrain from drinking away her feelings.

"Well, we all get promoted and put an end to this ridiculous coupe. Anybody need any weapons to defend themselves? I wouldn't want us to get into trouble and have no way to defend ourselves." Quickly she reached underneath the desk and pulled out a box, setting the lid aside to show the box full of weapons. Knives, hunting blades, daggers, switchblades, maces. Neve was kind of a weapon enthusiast, but today it would come in handy.

Ember Siegfreid

Tori and Ash kept thanking Ember and it honestly made her feel a little bad. She cared because that was the type of person she was. It also broke her heart that she couldn't help either one of them. Hopefully heading home tomorrow after the Ceremony will make things better for Ash and Tori. After Ash left she found herself alone in the suite, having absolutely no clue where River ran off to. Instead of investigating she just returned to her room and tried her best to get some sleep.

When the door to the suite closed in the morning her eyes fluttered open and she slowly sat up. Quietly she yawned and stretched before she stood and looked at the gown she was going to wear for the day. River would be crowned King and Ember would be his advisor, and things in their life would be much easier. Well, River's life would be. Most of the time he put his responsibilities on Ember while he hid away in the library. Not that she minded! That was her job, right? To assist him.

Once she was changed into her gown she untied her long braided hair and let the perfect curls fall down her shoulder and down her back. Some mascara over her golden eyes, blush, and a burgundy lip and she was ready. Gently she wrapped a matching burgundy shawl on as she walked out of her bedroom. "River? You ready?" It took him a minute but he joined her in the living area of the suite. The two made their way out into the hall and headed to the meeting room, River filling Ember in on the plan with Marxine. As much as she'd like to say she was surprised her suspicions have been on the small guard since the poster was posted.

By the time they entered their meeting room she smiled sweetly at Ash and the others. "You all look stunning. And Marxine this gown compliments you far more than the guard uniform." Ember approached the girl and gave her a quick hug. "Neve are those weapons?" Ember walked over to look at the excessive amount and bat her lashes a few times. After a minute she picked out a short little dagger and knelt down to strap it to her ankle above her black heels.

Asher Forrest

Asher was never good with women. He knew how to address royals, he knew titles and proper etiquette. Tori was different, she didn't seem to care about their titles. It honestly confused him a little, he had never met a woman like that. Astoria was beautiful, smart, calm. Hell, he risked his life to save her. He'd do it again! The only downside to her was she was engaged. It was obvious she needed comfort and needed someone there, and Asher was there. Despite knowing she was engaged he didn't stop himself. Instincts took over and he let down his guard, and he had absolutely no regrets at the time.

The next morning was a different story. Was he happy to wake up next to a gorgeous woman? Absolutely, but with her fiance in same suite it was NOT a great time. At least he thought Ash was in the next room, so when Tori woke him he panicked and quickly threw on his uniform and took off. Once to his room he washed up, swore and scolded himself the whole time, and changed the dressing he had on his stitched up wound. Before he could check on the interview with Fern he threw on the royal guard uniform and styled his fauxhawk. Though when his eyes met the mirror they quickly looked away, feeling a heavy guilt on his shoulders for what he did last night.

Aspen was free to go. Fern didn't reveal any names but said they had something big in store for them, he would ask for Astoria, and either laugh or ignore the guards. Asher asked for some time with him but the Inverno guards were having no part of it. This happened there, it wasn't Asher's place to question him. "I'll be back, don't think this is done with." With a scoff Asher adjusted his pins and walked to the meeting room. He took a deep long breath before walking in, his eyes instantly looking at Tori and causing him to blush.

Quietly he cleared his throat and deposited his hands in his pockets. "Well Neve your guards are quiet stubborn. Won't let me interview him, but I will congratulate you on being fre--" Asher bat his eyes a few times as he looked at the unfamiliar woman in the scarlet dress. "O-Oh, hello miss. You a friend of Neve's or something? I'm Asher, your royal guard for the rest of the evening. Say, anyone seen Max?" River's father was pissed and he just wanted to keep an eye on Max to make sure nothing bad happened to him.

River Siegfreid

Seeing Marxine take off the guise made him smile slightly. Sure Marxine was 'the trouble maker princess' but Neve was a weapon crazed loner, if she was eligible to become a Queen so was Marxine. There was still royal blood and her, and even then anyone could be chose! Plus, the reason Marxine was exiled was absolutely ridiculous. He had begged and pleaded with his idiot of a father but no one listened. Not even her own father! He kicked himself everyday, and that was one of the things he busied himself in the library with. Law books, boring and ancient books to try and see if he could override it. It couldn't happen until he was a King, that's what he understood from the books. It killed him every day to know that she was living in no man's land but he knew she was a survivor and could make it.

River stayed the night with Marxine and hashed out the plan with her. Honestly? It was genius. Astoria, and Ash were all on board and so was Neve, though she was a little too on board, and River knew that Ember would also be in agreement. Asher was the wild card, he knew with some explanation he would go with it but in the reality of things they didn't have the time to explain it to Asher. They just had to hope he'd catch on, the ceremony would be starting soon.

River dressed in his deep blue suit and combed through his hair when he heard Ember call for him. Today was the day, he'd be crowned King and, Gods willing, Leader. Everything his father messed up he'd fix and the kingdoms would be able to return to normal. "Coming." With that said he fixed his blue tie and walked out to escort his cousin to the meeting room. He explained who Marxine really was and explained what happened. She was receptive and understood, and as they made their way into the meeting room she was very welcoming of her. River also couldn't help his cheeks heating seeing Marxine all dolled up again. "You look radiant, that color compliments you well. I can't wait to see all those royal jaw drops seeing you." River chuckled quietly before turning his attention to the box Neve whipped out.

"Ah, Neve. You always did have an odd fascination with weapons." Steel colored eyes peeked in the box and plucked out a large sheathed knife. As Asher entered River tucked the blade into the waist of his pants, clapping his hands together when Asher started to ask about Max. He'd figure it out eventually. "We've really got to get to the ceremony, don't we? Grab one of Neve's mystery prizes and let's go. Can't keep the council waiting." River held out his arm for Marxine to take, ready to escort her to the ballroom.

Aspen Rift

Once they were all finally together they were escorted by a few guards and poor Asher who still hadn't gotten Max's disappearance through his thick skull... It was a beautiful ceremony. The entire thing took place outside and thanks to large fires and many torches the area was kept warm. There was a large wooden canopy that had been built to cover all of the seating that was available to the audience. The royals all had thrones specific to their kingdom at the front of it all and up on an elevated stage were five seats for the council and current leader of the four kingdoms. In front of them was a large ornate torch that Aspen had only heard about in books and through stories at the bar. Apparently the new leaders of each kingdom were chosen via a burned offering from their kingdom then spelling a name in the resulting smoke. It sounded like an amazing thing to witness... if Aspen wasn't so jaded.

Aspen wasn't allowed to walk in with the royals and was instead lead to the seat Neve chose for him by one of the guards. He was up front and center as far as the general audience went so if anything strange did go down, at least he wasn't far from the others. A quick glance around the room showed the excitement for today. People all around him were dressed to the nines and seemed to be on the edge of their seats already. It wasn't rare that they chose new leaders of the kingdoms, that happened at a much faster pace than the choosing of a new leader. Honestly Aspen never really understood what the leader did, they hadn't had a war in their kingdoms for hundreds of years... everything was always peaceful. It was more of a bragging point that anything anymore.

Astoria Primrose

"W-Weapons? Surely that won't be necessary right?" Astoria looked at the box of weapons with wide eyes but was soon met with her answer as all the others began to choose and hide their choices under their dresses and suits. Tori herself had never used a weapon of any sort, hell her parents rarely let her use a damn letter opener! Now these people wanted her to chose from this wide array of sharp things to strap under her dress? Gods! She glanced over it and picked out the daintiest set of daggers she could see, the things were near needles and slid them into their accompanying holders. Each one was then strapped around her thigh after some awkward dress maneuvering in the corner of the room.

"Well this just seems like overkill, I mean I am sure if anything happens the guards are fully prepared to handle the situation right Ashe-" Tori motioned to Asher as she spoke but the moment her eyes fell on him her face went beet red and her throat closed. "R-Right well, better safe than sorry I suppose." She felt terrible, she truly did. Ash had always been good to her and if Tori was just honest with him about not having that spark that she wished for she was sure he would feel the same and respect her feelings. But now that she cheated, lied, went behind his back... and on the night that his brother got arrested! God she was the worst. The other part was Asher. If she was a different person... in a different time, she would have really liked him. She DID really like him despite not knowing him well. But it just wasn't the place or time... That hurt a bit.

Soon they were being swept off to join their families and the other royals at the ceremony. Astoria had to admit she was concerned about what would happen when they showed up with Marxine but she had been ensured that River would handle it so she chose to keep her nose out of it apart from offering sanctuary. At the ceremony Astoria was thrilled to find that her parents had finally arrived, not wanting to take part in the earlier festivities of the week and choosing to let Tori and Ash handle keeping face. All of the older royals were already seated by the time the younger generation were being announced and led into the ceremony and taking their seats.

It wasn't a written rule that their systems ran on a traditional monarchy but it was rather rare that a family was uprooted from their throne. In Vesna. Astoria's royal lines went back nearly 300 years now. However it was always possible that the name spelled out by the fire would be a surprise... Tori just hoped it wasn't her kingdom that was met with it.

"Welcome all!" A man stood near the torch and threw his hands in the air as he welcomed the crowd. He went on and gave a small speech that she hardly listened to due to her nerves. "Tonight we will start our ceremony with the Kingdom of Vesna. Queen Arienne Primrose has offered the beautiful kingdoms native rose as their offering." Tori shifted in her seat as she watched the rose burst into flames and smoke began to rise. For a moment it swirled above the torch before slowly turning into a name that allowed her to finally take a breath of relief. "Astoria Primrose!" The man cheered and applause broke out as Astoria stood and made her way to the throne for her kingdom.

Marxine Augustine

"I sure hope so." Marxine sighed in response to Neve's comment on Asher before turning her attention to the slowly populated room. grinning slightly as Ember made her way over and wrapped her in a quick hug which Marxine awkwardly returned. "Thank you. Though I have to disagree, I already miss pants. I could move much easier." She chuckled a bit and stepped back from the hug to look at the slew of weapons that Neve produced. "Holy hades woman!" Marxine was shocked by the pure amount of them and variety. Marxine herself had gotten quite comfortable with a sword but hiding one under her dress was likely not possible so instead she chose to grab a dagger and slide it carefully up her sleeve.

Soon Asher was addressing her and she couldn't help but stifle a laugh. "I uh- yeah. Something like that." Honestly it was better to keep him in the dark for now, avoid any drama before the inevitable happened. River stepped up to her side and offered his arm, his compliment catching her off guard and causing her face to brighten and match her dress. 'Thank you." It was the only words she could come up with for a moment before wrapping her arm through his with a smirk as her blush faded. "You clean up well yourself. I hope you're ready to deal with your father. He will not be thrilled to see you entering with me on your arm. He never did like me much."

-

Marxine was right, walking into the ceremony was exactly what she expected. Gasps. Stares. She was fairly positive the only thing that kept her from being tackled and hauled off to the jails was the iron grip she had on River's arm until they reached their seats. "Gods they hate me. They dont even know me." She had always tried to ignore the way others thought about her, it never mattered much. But to be surrounded by people who were on pins and needles waiting for something bad to happen to you was unnerving.

Once they reached the front of the room Marxine finally let go of River's arm and faced her father and stepmother where they sat. Thankfully things quickly moved along and her step mother was unable to do anything before a member of the council was starting the ceremony with Vesna. Marxine watched it all, feeling happy that something finally took the attention away from her presence but new it wouldn't last long. The fire spelled out Astoria's name and soon the council member was announcing Autumn, holding a leaf in his hand as he gave his small introduction. However the poor man wasn't able to finish as her step mother was already in motion. The woman stood and screamed for her guards, pointing a finger at Marxine and yelling about how she was a criminal wanted for treason. That she was not welcome here. That she was no longer accepted by the royal family. Each statement hurt all over again like it had the day she was sent out to no mans land.

A few guards came over and grabbed her roughly by her arms and pulled her up from her seat as Marxine yelped, "You have no right! You have no right to make me go against my mother's dying words you fucking wench! And you-" She ripped her arm away from one of the guards and spat at his shoes, "I am here as a GUEST. Your new Queen of Vesna has offered me her protection. As well as some of the other royals." As the altercation went on between her step mothers screeches and Marxine arguing with the guards, the fire roared to life and burnt the leaf where it sat in the councilman's hand. It caused everyone to go silent and stare, it was as if the torch took matters into its own hands and soon enough the smoke was spelling out her name.

"Let. Me. Go." Marxine turned and glared at the guards, daring them to defy her as she finally got her arms back and smoothed out her dress. Walking up to the throne felt strange and unnatural but she did and took her seat, refusing to look at her father or his wife the entire time.

Ember Siegfreid

Things started out smoothly. They all made their way outside to the gorgeous area outside for the ceremony and for a moment she forgot everything that was going on. The snow was falling from the sky but the large torches kept them warm, the torch in front of the black robe clad council was flickering with a decent sized flame as well. As they were the last to sit Ember noted where everyone was sitting, her uncle was up with the council while Ash and Aspen sat away from the royals, Ember sat by River's side, and Asher stood close by to the royals.

The ceremony began and before she knew it Astoria was crowned Queen. That's when things got crazy. Guards moved for Marxine, her step mom was screaming for them to get Marxine out, and suddenly the torch was lighting the leaf was lighting on fire and spitting out her name. Ember's heart pounded loudly in her chest as the guards were forced to let her go, her golden eyes watching Marxine take her place at the Autumn throne.

The council member ordered everyone to settle and finish with the ceremony, that delays and interruptions weren't an option. The next kingdom offering was Zomer, a deep blue shell from one of their beaches. Ember was just ready to get it over with and see River's name from the smoke. So, when Ember's name appeared in smoke many in the audience gasped.

It took her a long minute staring at her name before she felt her blood freeze. It was supposed to be River. Ember wasn't the King's daughter! "Ember dear, please come take your seat." Her uncle spoke from his throne and didn't seem disappointed. In fact he sounded rather joyful, though she didn't dare make eye contact with River. Ember took a hard swallow and slowly stood to her feet before she made her way to Zomer's throne. Her hands folded together over her lap and she nervously looked over at Marxine and Astoria, desperate for someone to tell her this was a joke.

Last edited:
Neve Juniper

Honestly? Only Ember's name from the fire came off as surprising. They already knew that Astoria would be crowned, and it was the general consensus that Marxine's step-mother would try and have Marxine detained. Neve waved her guards over to try and stop and stop them, but suddenly Marxine's name appeared from the fire and the guards had to let her go. She had expected her name to come out, she just didn't anticipate the flame doing it on its own.

As soon as Ember's name it felt like the air shifted. River physically tensed up as everyone's eyes watched the brunette take her throne, which left Neve and River sitting alone in the royalty chairs. Her family had been the only ruling family in Inverno's history, so if Neve failed to take the crown she would disappoint everyone. Her brother was still alive though and she was terrified he would take the crown and ruin the kingdom.

Pale blue eyes stared at the fire as it consumed Inverno's offering, the rare blue rose. She didn't realize that she had been holding her breath until her name came from the smoke, so she let out a deep sigh of relief. Neve stood to her short 5'2" stature and smoothed out her dress as she quickly made her way to the Inverno throne, her eyes darting to Aspen and flashing him a small smile.

"Congratulations to our new Queen's. Now, time for the Gods to decide on the next leader of our kingdoms." The council member addressed everyone before turning back to the flame. Neve wanted to focus on making sure her kingdom was taken care of, she didn't care for being the leader. That was her parents pushing for it. Maybe River was going to be the leader like his dad? That would make some sense.

So when Neve's name appeared in big smoky letters once more she was floored. The council members and audience applauded for their new leader but Neve instantly looked at Aspen with a nervous expression.

River Siegfreid

While Astoria took her seat River was cautious and aware of Marxine's father and step-mother. The insane woman started yelling and quickly the tall dark haired man stood up and pushed a few of the guards away. "Get off of her, she's my guest." Unfortunately there were more guards than he could push off, a few of them had grabbed her and instantly his face went red. This was ridiculous, they had no right to do this and they had no right to even label her as a criminal!

Thankfully the Gods took matters into their own hands. The flame consumed the leaf and called Marxine as their leader, so when she made her way to the throne River sat back in his seat with a heavy sigh. Finally things were making a little more sense. Soon it came to Zomer's offering and River straightened up and took a deep breath, fully anticipating his name to appear. In fact he had no doubts it would be him. Who else would it be?

The color drained from his face when he seen the name that appeared. Ember. It was his last name but it wasn't his name. Growing up his mother wanted him to be happy, wanted him to be a great leader for their people. On her death bed she told River she knew he'd do great things. Seeing that he wouldn't lead his people was absolutely devastating, the tone of his fathers voice crushing his soul. He knew this would happen.

Neve's name appeared next crowning her ruler of Inverno, the white haired woman leaving him sitting there by himself. Finally the leader name came next. Maybe River would be leader? He couldn't move, all he could do was sit in his chair and focus on breathing. And when Neve's name appeared again he felt like he got punched in the gut.

"This has been nice and everything, but the Gods won't be deciding the rulers from this point forward." When his fathers voice sounded out once more he flinched. What did he mean? As he looked up towards his father he heard a few screams from the audience. His eyes landed on Dante as he appeared behind the announcing council member, something sharp slicing through his throat and dropping the robed man. "Hey wait-Dante no!" River jumped to his feet as one by one the council members dropped. Fern appeared out of nowhere and stabbed one of the council, his father had even stabbed one of them.

"No don't!" There was only one robed member left, and River reached out to grab the assailant as a huge gust of wind propelled itself from his hand and missed the assailant. Not only did the wind not stop the attacker but the last remaining council member fell to the floor, blood pooling under him into the white snow. River was frozen in shock. What just happened?

Last edited:
Asher Forrest

Asher stood at the end of the seating for the royals as it was still his duty to guard them. He watched with a smile as Astoria was crowned, she truly deserved it and wanted the best for her people. However when his Queen started to yell for them to arrest Marxine he flinched and suddenly it all came back to him. The wanted poster, Max's reaction. It all made sense. "Whoa man I don't think so." Asher stepped in front of a few guards and placed his hand on his sword. Was he mad at Max for lying? Slightly, but Asher wasn't going to let them take her. He was sure she had a good explanation that he intended on hearing later.

Marxine's name was called and everyone backed off thankfully to allow her to make her way to the throne. Then Ember, surprisingly, was called. Then Neve was declared ruler of Inverno, though that was expected and a blessing. Much better than her insane brother. Asher kept glancing over at River as they waited for him to be named leader, though when Neve's name appeared he could feel River's heartbreak.

Suddenly Asher instantly felt on high alert. As he reached for the sword he motioned for River and the other guys to come with him as he guarded the newly designated queens and leader. Unfortunately Asher didn't anticipate what was going to happen next. One by one the members fell and Asher drew his sword. "Guys we've got to get out of here." Asher's eyes landed on Fern, covered in blood and not in the dungeon. The man had a deranged look in his eyes and was staring directly at Astoria.

"Get back Fern." Asher pointed the sword at Fern hoping that it would deter the man. It didn't, Fern drew the bloody knife and started to approach her. "I said stop!" Suddenly a ball of flames shot from his hand and past his sword, striking the ground in front of Fern and setting it ablaze. "What the Hell?" His body was buzzing as he stared down at his hands. Did he do that? "G-Guys we have to go!"

Last edited:
Marxine Augustine

Sitting in the throne felt strange... like she hadn't ever thought it would happen. Not since the day she was banished but here she was... Marxine was in a state of shock as she sat and stared into space. Only when she heard Ember's name be called did she snap back into reality. "What?" Marxine couldn't stop herself from verbalizing her confusion. She liked Ember, she really did! Ember seemed like a woman with a good head on her shoulders and Marxine was sure she would do a good job but River was built for this! Ever since she had known the male his life revolved around the prospect of becoming King. Her amber eyes darted over to River's father for a moment before drifting back over to River. For some reason the King was smirking, a smirk that made Marxine shift uncomfortably in her seat. River on the other hand looked broken... a look that only significantly got worse when the fire named Neve as the new world leader.

The councilman at the front began to announce the end of the ceremony but before he got much out of his mouth, River's father was speaking up from where he sat. His tone instantly put Marxine's nerves on end. From the sides of the stage, Marxine caught glimpse of two blurs of motion and suddenly Dante and Fern arrived. One by one they dropped the council members, council members that to Marxine's knowledge had been around for hundreds of years and now they were just... gone!

Apparently while Marxine was too busy watching Dante and Fern, her step mother had approached her from behind her throne and wrapped an arm around the edge to hold a knife to Marxine's neck.

"Everyone needs to just calm down." Evanna smirked as she pressed the blade further into her step daughters neck. "Your council that you love so much committed a ghastly crime here, those of you in attendance are special, high society members, people who contribute to our great realm. Would you like that taken away from you? That is what they would see happen to you all. That is what they want. They prophesize-" She coughed and fixed her wording, "preach that these young leaders would be the ones to fix us, but why fix something that isn't broken! Why let these- children- ruin it! Aldrich has been a great leader to us and we should allow him to continue. And if you don't like that idea, feel free to leave. The kingdoms are no longer free. Remember this."

"Let me go you physco!" Marxine growled and rolled out of the hold, her neck taking a small cut in the process but thankfully guard training had prepared her for this type of hold. Once away from her step mother Marxine moved to shove the woman away from anyone else only to create a wall of fire that lit the wooden stage in the small space between them, causing Marxine to quickly take a few steps back and watch in horror and confusion. Thankfully Asher's yelling pulled her from her terror and made her turn and run through the chaos that the murders and ominous words of her step mother had caused.

Ash Maidenhair

Astoria was chosen, just like Ash knew she would be. He smirked up at her from his seat near Aspen and gave her a small thumbs up before turning his attention to the commotion caused by Maxine's presence, the commotion was finally ended by the fire naming her Queen and honestly Ash kind of chuckled, like the universe was telling the normal definition of a royal to fuck off. The ceremony went on with a lot more surprises, like Ember being called and River not getting any mention at all. Ash wasn't super involved with royal interactions at all but from what he learned from Astoria, River was a lot like her, built for this from the ground up.

Ash thought the surprises would end there but boy was he wrong, quickly everything went to insanity and Ash was out of his chair before he could even notice that his brother had made an appearance. The only thing on his mind was that Tori was right up there near all the silence with a fucked up ankle and weak idea about how to protect herself. By the time Ash got up the stage everything had gone to chaos thanks to the Queen of Autumns speech.... it was chilling but Ash didn't have the time to dwell on it. Not when he was faced with Fern approaching Tori and Asher already yelling for his brother to stop. Something happened and suddenly the stage was on fire, causing Ash to look over at Asher with wide eyes before turning back to the situation and finding himself staring into the crazed eyes of his older brother.

"Oh ho ho. Seems you have discovered something awfully not good." Fern chuckled at the spot of flooring that was burning and looked up at the man who had just been shouting at him with raised brows. "That's fine. We will just have to kill you all and hope the councils powers re route correctly this time" Fern paused and looked between Asher and Astotria before looking back at the man and analyzing his face. "Oh! Oh! How rich! She seems to have entranced another man yet again." He turned and waved his knife at Tori with a grin, "Tori, Tori, Tori, you tease you. I see now, your speech you gave me about loving my little brother was just because you were so against me?! HAH!" Fern threw his knife towards her throne as the floor underneath him gave out from the fire he hadn't noticed spreading, causing him to fall to the ground below and be knocked unconscious.

Ash let out a yell when the knife went flying but had to jump back as the fire caused part of the stage to collapse, his eyes squeezed shut from the smoke and debris that went flying and when he reopened them he didn't stop to dwell on what Fern had said, instead he ran straight for where Astoria stood shaking in fear and grabbed her hand as Asher yelled, he didn't stop to check if she was okay and instead swept her up and went running back to the edge of the stage. Setting her down and turning back to Asher as his eyes landed on an escape plan. "Get the others, Tori and I are going to steal ourselves a carriage."

Ash jumped down to the ground before yanking Tori along with him, the carriage was empty but the poor horses that were tied to it were panickling from the terror around them.

Astoria Primrose

Everything changed so quickly, the ceremony had been confusing in general but suddenly it went from confusing to scary. Bodies were dropping like flies and while chaos erupted around them. Tori looked over to her side to see Marxine held at knife point and on her other side Ember and Neve were just as struck with terror as she was. Astoria stood and went to yell at the others to follow her but soon her voice left her as she was met face to face with Fern. Wasn't he supposed to be in the cell? How was he out? Why was he out?! Why was he looking at her like that.

Fern stopped to turn back to Asher and Ash and Astoria let out a small whimper as he spoke. "I-I stop it! You're just being nasty because you've turned into this! Whatever this is! You aren't like this! You aren't this person! Why are you all doing this?!" She screamed and let out a yelp as the fire erupted and swallowed Fern to the ground below. The knife flew past her and cut her cheek, causing her to run her fingers over the stinging cut before she was being yanked away by Ash.

Everything seemed surreal, like a blur... things were on fire, the wind was wild and people were screaming all around her as they went running for the hills. The horses that Ash had led them over to were acting dangerously as well, any moment they could have hurt themselves or someone else. Astoria felt terrible for them... she felt terrible for herself and the others as well but these poor creatures had nothing to do with this and had no way to understand it...

As Astoria had this thought the ground under her and the horses went from white snow to plush green grass, flowers sprouting up here and there and a large apple tree sprouted through the ground with a crack and grew along the side of the castle wall. Astoria stared in shock, she had just been wishing she had a way to help these creatures calm down and there it was. "W-Wow." She reached up and plucked two apples from the branches before turning to the horses and feeding them both, patting them on their noses and hushing at them to try and calm them down so they would be able to pull the carriage safely.

Neve Juniper

Bodies were dropping like flies around them by Fern's and her brother's hands and Neve was suddenly in a state of shock. Why were they doing this? Why was her brother doing this? It was Evanna's voice and the knife to Marxine's voice that caused Neve to stir. "The council prophesizes the future, they don't preach possibilities." Neve quickly drew the daggers from her thighs and jumped up, though as she stood she made eye contact with her brother and froze up again.

"Neve dear, just come with me. They won't touch you I swear. You're royal too, they'll accept you. You and father will come to accept this with time. It's always just been you and me, I disposed of Aspen to secure our future. He can't protect you like I can." Dante was now standing in front of her tucking his weapon into pocket, his hand reaching out towards hers. "Stop!" Neve pushed him away and took a step back, flinching as a large wall of ice separated the siblings. Suddenly the sympathetic look Dante had on his face became one of disappointment. "Well now, that changes things a little. That's okay, we can fix this."

Neve didn't wait to find out what he meant or what happened. Neve shook Ember to bring her back to reality. "Marxine, Ember, girls we have to go now." Neve hopped off of the burning stage and coughed quietly to clear the smoke from her lungs. "C-Come on Aspen we've got to leave." Gently Neve grabbed his hand and ran towards the carriage. There was an out of place apple tree with Astoria feeding the horses and she shook off the need to ask questions.

"Everyone hop in, I know a place we can go." Quickly she climbed on top of the carriage when the horses settled and grabbed the reins, the freezing cold blizzard having no effect on the pale Queen.

--

Adrenaline and tormenting thoughts made the next few hours fly by. By the time it was pitch black outside the carriage found itself winding down from the long travel a very narrow pathway. After about 20 minutes on the path they entered a clearing with a barn and a large cabin surrounded by a thicket of woods. Once the carriage was parked and hidden inside the barn she climbed off of the carriage and unattached the horses so they could eat the hay.

With a small knock on the carriage doors Neve dusted the snow off of her shoulder. "I think we'll be safe here for the night. Discuss our options." And talk about what the Hell was happening to them. The wind howled as the blizzard raged on. Quickly Neve grabbed the hidden key to the house in the barn before walking outside and up the path to the cabin.

Ember Siegfreid

Everyone's world came crumbling around them as the council was killed. Marxine's step-mother made her announcement and all Ember could do was stare in shock. Her body wouldn't move, not when Fern was attacking and not when Evanna and Marxine went at it. Thankfully Neve shook Ember, dragging her out of the state she was in. "O-Oh. Yeah, coming." Ember shakily stood, her golden eyes staring at all the blood and bodies around them. Smoke and fire raged, there was an ice wall on stage, and the wind was whipping around wildly.

"Ember." As the dark haired Queen made her way down the stage she turned towards the voice to see the face of her uncle on stage. "River was never meant to succeed my throne. The Gods and I both have chosen you to be my successor. Stay here Ember, be smart with your choices. I'd hate for you to get hurt." For a moment she stared at him in shock yet again. Was he serious? River was his son! The only child he had from his late wife. How could he choose her over him?

Thankfully River had dragged her back into reality and caused her to turn her back to her uncle, running towards the carriage with everyone. A few men followed after them and prayed that they would just go away. A large gust of wind swept the men off their feet and threw them into a large snowbank, giving the group plenty of time to pile into the getaway carriage.

--

The long trip was quiet, Ember was sure the rest of them were just as confused and speechless as she was. All the death, betrayal, and prophecies weighed heavily on all of the group. All Ember could do was fold her hands over her lap, silently pray and stare out of the frosted window. The travel conditions were not favorable but it was better than staying back and watching the downfall of the nations. Though, what could the group of them do? Overthrow their loved ones with their newly found powers? Why did they have these powers? Wasn't there any other way to stop them?

Before she knew it the carriage stopped inside of a dark barn. Neve was knocking on the door of the carriage and slowly Ember stepped out of the carriage, shivering as soon as the air hit her bare skin. "Neve I don't understand how you were able to be in the open cold for so long..." Ember followed behind the white haired girl up the path and into the cold cabin. instantly she walked over to the empty fireplace and placed a few logs inside, pouring some lighting fluid on the wood. With shaky hands she lit one of the matches and tossed it into the fireplace, her golden eyes watching as the wood started to burn.

"First thing's first, is everyone okay? Anyone injured?" Ember turned back to the others and rubbed her cold hands together, trying to spark up some sort of conversation with the others. She was sure they were all just as confused as she was.

River Siegfreid

It took Evanna's announcement to drag River out of shock of the council members death. He shook it off quickly and by the time he ran to Marxine's aide there was a wall of fire between her and her assailant. "Shit are you okay?" River tried to give her a reassuring smile as he looked her over. A cut on her neck, and after applying some pressure with his sleeve he noticed the cut wasn't life threatening. "You'll be okay, yeah? Let's get out of here."

River grabbed ahold of Marxine's hand and started to run off after Ash and Astoria, freezing when he noticed Ember was frozen again and his father was speaking. The words he spoke...they stung, they hurt River to his core. But it wasn't anything he didn't know already, his father had favored Ember as of late these past few years. He just never expected his father to openly say it. "Ember, let's go. You're not like them." With his free hand he grabbed hold of his cousin's wrist and ran off towards the carriage. Neve told them to get in, so as River was helping everyone into the carriage he noticed Ember forcing the men into the snowbank. Did they have the same power?

--

In the carriage River quietly treated Marxine's cut neck. Once the bleeding stop he leaned back and let out a long sigh. What were they to do now? His father basically called out a war between the old royals and the new. The council was dead, and most everyone seemed to have somehow inherit the powers of the council. Were they royals, council members, or both? And even with powers, how were they expected to overthrow everyone that was suddenly against them?

"Watch your step, I'm sure it's icy outside." River warned everyone as they exited the carriage. As they made their way out of the barn and into the cabin he watched as Ember busied herself to light the fire. River looked around the room and opened closet doors until he found one with blankets. Quickly he handed everyone a blanket before he wrapped one around his shoulders and sat down on the couch. "More mental damage than physical. I think we should be talking about where we go next, and what the Hell we're supposed to do. Do you guys think there's any kingdom safe from them right now? I mean if we can't go to a kingdom that only leaves-" No man's land, but he didn't want to think about going there. Marxine may have survived but there was a lot of them, there was no way they'd all be able to survive out there.

Asher Forrest

The ride to the cabin was mostly quiet. Asher was still processing everything that happened, but anytime he noticed someone shiver he thought about the fire he produced between Astoria and Fern and suddenly his hands would glow red and emit a decent amount of heat for the others. Though, Asher avoided eye contact with Ash. Fern had said something like he had known what happened between him and Astoria and he prayed that Ash didn't figure it out.

As everyone made their way inside the cabin he locked the door behind them, making sure all the curtains were shut. Though he supposed it didn't matter much, if anyone approached the cabin they'd see the smoke from the chimney. Speaking of. "Here." Asher bent down towards the fire and held out his hands, the small flickering embers erupting into a large enough fire to heat and light the room.

"Thanks, River." Asher however wrapped his blanket around Tori, producing enough heat already to keep himself warm. "Lady Astoria how is your ankle?" Quickly he pulled up a small footstool for her to rest her foot on and placed it in front of her, avoiding eye contact with her as he did so. Once the stool was placed he moved throughout the cabin to make sure the rooms were empty. There was an upstairs with a few bedrooms, though they wouldn't be staying more than a night. Even if they had a few cabins Dante would eventually come to this one and find them.

"No man's land? That's the place you were living before joining the guard, right Max--Marxine? S-sorry, it'll take a minute to get used to." Quietly he let out a small sigh and lit a few candles and candelabras around the cabin.

Aspen Rift

Hearing what Dante said about removing him has Aspen stuck in shock all over again, his memories were still confusing but god for the life of him he couldn't think of anything he had done to make Dante act this way against him. Aspen wasn't given any time to think about it as suddenly Neve wrapped her hand around his and they were running for the carriage. Neve took the reigns and Aspen made sure to stand back and help all the others pile inside.

-

The ride was long, drafty and mostly silent. The entire group seemed shell-shocked by the events of today. Eventually they arrived at a large cabin deep in the woods and came to a stop. Aspen climbed out along with the others and followed Neve inside after she grabbed the key from the barn. The cabin itself looked old and as if it hadn't seen a soul in years now. He took the blanket from River with a small nod but used it to create more seating on the ground near the fire before plopping down and letting out a long sigh.

"No mans land can't be that terrible right?" Aspen finally spoke up and looked over between Asher and River. "I mean no offense to Queen Marxine over there but if she can make it, how bad can it really be? I mean I know shes some guard badass now but wasn't she just a princess when she got sent out there? I mean sure the rumors are terrible but those are just rumors."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back