• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Wisdom of Mortality (WoW) //closed//

kyuri

Paladin Highlord
Post the battle of the Light’s Hope Chapel, a young paladin thrives in anger at the incoming catastrophy initiated by the Lich King and his army. Having the Scourge drawn back has done nothing to soothe their trembling nerves.

Through the depths of the streets of Stormwind, there is too a lingering hunger for bloodshed. The warrior Meric Halwain takes sword and shield in hand, prepared to lash out at anyone that dare to attack their lands. There has to be protection, and there has to be war.

Venturing from Stormwind, the people led by the Argent Crusade pursues the Valiance expedition to take on one of the most infuriating battles of all time - against an undead army. Not only to have the Lich King’s pestering army to draw back, but to have them all banished for good.

@Vudukudu

Last edited:
Meric Halwain had been twenty years old when the first war started. He had seen Stormwind fall to the Orcs all those years ago, as the onslaught from Draenor continued unabated. That was the first time he had lifted a sword, and he'd spilled blood in every war since - he served through the First War, Second War, and the Third War. He'd been a part of Arthas' doomed expedition to Northrend, and had only managed to get home nearly two years later. The men Arthas had left behind after claiming that damned blade had managed to reconstruct a vessel from the wrecks, and after two years in the frozen wastes, had managed to find a way home.

The news they heard when they returned was bitter indeed. Their former leader had destroyed Lordaeron, that great kingdom of man, and unleashed the Scourge on all the world. Reintegrating into society was difficult. Two years fighting tooth and nail to survive among the Nerubians, Vrykul, trolls, and undead had taken its toll. Most of his comrades had died, gone mad, or disappeared. All Meric knew how to do was swing a sword, and after a brief rest, took up arms once more.

As part of the 7th Legion, he served against the Ahn-Qiraj, the nightmares of Outland, and now.. he was in a hospital, recovering from the Scourge's attack on Stormwind. At the harbor, he had fought alongside Wrynn's men to repel the frost wyrms and abominations Arthas had unleashed. The war drums were beating once more, and all Meric knew how to do was answer. His home had been destroyed once by orcs, and a second time by undead. He was getting old. Part of him hoped this was the last war he'd ever see, but he knew better than to have hope.

As he lay in bed, the word began to spread around the tattered tents of the field hospital now occupying one of Stormwind's markets. An expedition was bound for Northrend to depose the mad king. They'd come looking for him, soon. He was one of the only known survivors of Arthas' original expedition, and he had zero doubts about who the Alliance would come looking for to serve in that frozen hell once again.

He wouldn't do it. Nothing would make him go back to that place, not for all the gold in Stormwind.

She hadn't been there as the invasion had taken place.

She hadn't known the rage, and the fatigue pestering hours, hours rolling on end the battle had given them. Under the well protected sanctuary beneath the rock hard ground of the Eastern Plaguelands, had she been as the Scourge had pursued war by the Light's Hope Chapel. Thousands of Undead, crackling bones and vile, glowing eyes against an army of barely a few hundred Paladins side by side before the chapel.

The lust for bloodshed hadn't arisen until that very day, and from there, her eyes were gorged with anger.

They still were. Heaven Leylight was young, dedicated, yet uneducated. She had never been to war. Many of her elders may have spoken about their past battles, but she had never been there to experience the foul reality of it. From early age Heaven was well aware that life wasn't all sunshine and posy. Yet, so far in her double digit age, she hadn't come close enough to this vile trial. At least, that was until just a few days earlier.

The raven head strolled around the markets of her city. Chaos had gone slighter, and the town was focusing on treating the ones injured from the most recent invasion. Grotesque monstrosity had once again merged by the human home. Heaven had merely stood as a last row defender, young and still learning as she was. But it was enough. Stormwind had enough.

She tended to peek as the leader paladins of the Argent Crusade - earlier solely the Argent Dawn, with the knights of the Silver Hand separately under Fordring - had their meetings in Light's Hope. Being well aware of the intended shoot-off towards Northrend, the female was more than determined to increase her knowledge and become stronger. The light would guide her through it, and she hoped to find a place in the army. By the words of the people, it seemed the Crusade had planned an enormous one this time.

Meric's wound had been festering and bubbling with a greenish-orange ichor for the few days after it had been inflicted. An abomination's cleaver had hacked through his left shoulder plate and given him a nearly fatal gash. Only the intervention of some healers, among them an orc shaman acting as a diplomat from Orgrimmar, had managed to save his arm and his life. It was a day after he was deemed likely to survive that the King and his entourage sought him out.

The visit was not solely intended for him. It was, primarily, for morale. The King's staff brought meals fit for lords to the wounded, and the King himself shared his thanks with the many healers and injured spread around the market. Finally, the procession, with King Varian Wrynn at the fore and his guards about him, reached Halwain's tent.

"It is an honor to be seen, my King." Meric coughs, his body still wracked with the pain of infection.

"It is an honor to have you bearing arms for me." Varian replies, giving a curt nod. "I trust the priests and apothecaries are taking good care of you?"

Meric nods and shifts about in his cot. "As well as the orc, Rokar. I assure you, your majesty, I am being well taken care of."

Varian grins and glances about the market. "I'm sure you know why I'm here, Meric. If we are to invade Northrend, we will need men familiar with the terrain."

Meric frowns and shakes his head. "I cannot, your majesty. I have given my blood against the orcs, the Scourge, the Qiraji, and Illidan. My loyalty goes unto death, milord, but Northrend is a step beyond the pale. I will not go back to that place." Meric says softly, keeping his eye contact with the King.

"Your expertise is needed, Captain." Varian says firmly, gesturing to the crowded market. "These men, and thousands more like them, will die without the knowledge you have."

"Then send a scribe. If being a hero means returning to that awful place, take my name off the plaque in the Valley. I will share what I know, but I would sooner die than set foot on those shores." Meric concludes. "My time is long past, your majesty. The man you want is buried somewhere on Draenor."

"And yet I see him breathing before me. But.. so it shall be, Meric. I will send the commanders to gather your report." Varian says, finally admitting defeat. With that, the King of Stormwind and his entourage depart, leaving Meric alone in his tent as the sun begins to set over Stormwind.

The young woman stepped side to side, pacing around the crowds of people and creatures inhabiting the city of Stormwind. There was an old warrior somewhere around the medical tents. She had heard about him from attending the Silver Hand practice grounds. Knights had spoken highly about this man, as if he was a very special person, and from that day, she knew she had to find him.

Even though this person may not have been a paladin, Heaven still found it necessary to find knowledge elsewhere than within the depths of the chapel or by a bench. This man, Halwain, she had heard, was a strong veteran that had been through all three of the big wars of history, and had stood defendant as the Scourge had been unleashed upon Azeroth.

Heaven had heard that the male was probably going to join the expedition to Northrend, and if so, she had to hear his secrets, because this time, the female felt as if she had to help out. She wouldn't be proud of herself, in such a way, that she would sense she had accomplished something for her people, than if she joined forces and ventured with them to the vast lands of undead and Arthas probably waiting for them.

Heaven lay eyes upon a certain berth, where a wounded, old man was lying, awake. She tilted her head and squinted, seeing as this was the closest she could get to the description of the war veteran. Getting close to the tent, careful not to bother anyone, she peeked.

"Excuse me? Are you... sir Halwain?"

Meric was deep in thought when a soft voice broke his reverie. One weary eye opened to glance toward the opening of the tent, where a young woman was peeking in at him. He'd expected the intelligence interview to happen shortly, but, as of yet, none of the King's men had arrived.

"I'm no sir. That's for knights and lords. But, yes, I am him." Meric answered, shifting around to settle in comfortably once more. "What brings you here, and may I have the honor of knowing your name?"

"Well, are you not a knight?" She asked. "I have heard of you and all that you have done to protect us. You have been highly spoken of. Even the king considers you a hero."

The female bowed her head slightly as she put her hands together, the motion conveying she was fairly nervous.

"Oh, my name is Heaven... Leylight. I'm just an aspiring knight who seeks knowledge outside of the training grounds. I'm honored to meet you, si-"

Stopping mid-sentence, she smiled to herself before glancing back at the wounded one.

"Although, I can tell you are hurt. I certainly hope I'm not disturbing you."

Meric shakes his head and sits up on his cot. "Just a man with a sword. Ain't no hero." He replies curtly, as if the idea of being considered a hero is somewhat offensive to him.

"Heaven Leylight? Your parents must have been regular churchgoers." He mutters, raising one eyebrow. "I've got nothing better to do than talk, so find yourself a seat and ask away. I'll tell you what there is to tell, what they don't tell you before they send you to bleed and die on some unnamed patch of ground, and everything in between."

Meric coughs and stretches out slightly, easing past the pain of his sore shoulder. "Just don't expect any stories of dazzling heroics. Soldiering isn't like the stories they tell you growing up. Its not standing on a hill with the sun rising behind you, facing down demons or orcs or dragons. Its wearing heavy armor in searing heat or freezing cold, restless sleep, and, more often than you'd like, manning a battered wall to push back whatever Light-forsaken monster is trying to come up it to kill you and your friends."

This male was no one to charm. Although she knew she had meant nothing offensive towards him, Heaven still kind of hurled back at his responses. She wasn't used to the harsher tones people could have, no less having them thrown towards her specifically.

"That's basically it." She replied, glance sinking to her feet. "Hence, I must work very hard to prove myself worthy of a title alike a knight."

Listening to the elder speaking of how war was never as romantic as some could portray it, the raven head found a small stool to rest her body upon. Heaven didn't believe in such stories. Battle couldn't be more frightening, which she had experienced not many days ago, and heard not very long ago either by the Chapel. But there was, trailing the tremor grazing her nerves, the anger, the flat outrage, and it would have been the thing to aid her in pursuing the long training to become one of the people to stand by the forces and protect the land.

"I am, by no means, after the record of praise following an achievement in battle."

She put her hands on her lap, fixing her gaze upon Meric.

"What I need to know is where to find courage. What causes you to go on when the armor wears you down? How do you shield yourself when the odds are against you in multiple foes?" More talking was to come but at that point she had to stop herself to give the man some space to answer, or at least, let it sink in. The questions felt more like a speech rather than something a person simply curious would say.

Meric chuckles, first softly, though it reaches a crescendo before he stops. "Courage?" He asks, turning on his cot to face her. He pauses for a moment, if only for the sake of dramatic flair.

"Courage isn't what makes you keep fighting. Fear is." Meric finally answers. "When your patrol is ambushed by orcs, it isn't courage that makes you draw your sword and bellow out a war cry. Its fear. Fear of dying is why most men fight. For others, its hate. For the paladins, devotion, or zealotry, depending on who you ask."

Meric sighs and looks the girl up and down. "When your armor wears you down, you take off what is holding you back. When you're surrounded by multiple foes, you keep as many of them on the side of your shield as possible, and you kill until there's nothing left to kill. And you do that because you don't want to die. Some people think we're out there doing good, and that's why we do it. But look at the Outlands. We invaded, and for what? We repelled the Burning Legion. All we had to do was hold the Dark Portal until it could be closed. Instead, thousands of men died fighting the fel orcs and Legion and Illidan's forces and Kael'thas' forces. I was there the whole time, and I still couldn't tell you why we were there. Sometimes we fight because we're told to. Its why I always did."

"I suppose I will be somewhere in the middle."

Seeing as she had been working as hard as possible, straining herself to the point behind exhaustion and still remaining the person she was, Heaven did consider herself a very dedicated paladin. But the speech given back from Meric had currently left Heaven tongue-tied, and this caused her to tilt her head in ponder.

In training, she could appear as courageous as ever, and experiencing little fright. After the recent invasion on the city, she had been mostly in shock ever since the first alarm had gone off, and left so even afterwards. Had she ever had one thought of the fact that in one of those moments she had stood to repel the evil arisen, she could have died? No. And it left her astounded.

Still having no words, the expression on the young female's face - lips fairly parted and gaze stuck upon the male in front of her - seemed to indicate a lot was going on in her head.

Meric sighs heavily and waves a hand in front of the young paladin's face. "And don't lose focus. An arrow at short range can travel fast enough to kill you in but a moment. Shield up, blade at the ready." He mutters, then draws his hand back.

"And, kid. Don't ever volunteer to do anything. Never be the hero. Quickest way to get killed, that is."

Heaven tilts her head, her brows furrowing inwards.

"I may be young", she speaks, "But I am no kid. I may not be a hero, but I am and will remain someone who stands up for her land through the inevitable. And if you consider this an act of mere gullibility, perhaps I was wrong to come here."

Putting her hands to her sides, the raven head stands up - unsure as of why, perhaps it is simply a gesture of being deliberate - and gazes closely upon Meric. She can admit to herself she doesn't intend being rude, but of course, this is up to the observer.

"Still, I am very pleased to meet you and listen to your advice, Meric - I am honored, even. Nevertheless, I must speak my mind as well."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back