Other WIP Characters

Shog

The Infinite Being
Before I dive into this, I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I understand why some people leave incomplete character sheets with the intention of returning to them later. What I'm looking for is advice on how to deal with them. Many people will leave a character sheet eternally incomplete and forget about it. I do believe there are times to leave a CS incomplete. When I do it, it's because I don't have time to complete it at the moment but don't want to not post anything any longer. In short, it tells the moderator I'm still interested, but can't finish it at the moment.

My problems are when people just forget about their incomplete character, decide they don't like it and leave without notification, or "start" a character by listing some of the most basic information and nothing else. I'm trying to start a new RP right now, and the only posts in the CS thread are all WIP. The first listed name, age, gender, and put one word under power. The next two are both by the same person, and both only have a power title listed. The second one bugs me even more because they couldn't even finish their first character before "starting" their second.

Anyway, sorry for ranting. Do any of you have any effective means of combating the problems listed? I give them two or three days to complete their character once a CS is posted before copying their CS, sending it to them via private message, and delete their post from the character page. I do allow extensions if they request one with a valid reason,. This has it's advantages, but I also just feel like a major jerk when time comes to clean up.

Now, instead of posting for advice and hinting that I have bugged you, you could have simply sent me a PM regarding how you're feeling about me leaving two WIPs in your roleplay's CS section. I intend to complete them both today, and the reason I have two WIP sheets is because the two characters are very close to each other so I have to keep their backstories consistent. So there's my bit on why I have two WIPs.

I'm not going to leave the question you're asking at hand alone though. I'm still going to give you my two cents on WIP sheets. WIP sheets are a way for people to reserve names, powers, or something else that they are afraid that someone might take before they do. It becomes an issue when they leave the CS and never have any intention of completing it.

The first and most easy way to combat this type of thing is simply put a rule: "No WIP sheets. Please complete before posting." That would certainly deter people who aren't even intending to complete their character sheets. This will also make users hurry up and finish their CS to reserve powers, names, face claims, or anything of the like. That is one option.

The other option is the one you've already provided. Simply giving a time limit to complete the CSes will ensure people complete them or drop them altogether. As a GM, you have the right to delete any content within your roleplays, without notifying the players. So if something bothers you, you may simply delete it because you are exercising your rights as a GM.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go finish those character sheets instead of "bugging" you with two WIPs.

Well you have pretty much already hit on the only way to really handle works in progress / incomplete character sheets.

You inform the person they have a set amount of time to complete their character sheet and if they don't do it in that time you can delete them ( sending a copy to the person if you wish ).

If you would rather people wait until their character sheet is complete to post it you can also specify this.

A way to meet in the middle and address Jay's concerns ( reserving a character before someone else ) is simply allow a reservation process that is separate to the character sheet.

So basically say

1. only place your character sheet in the character thread when it's complete
2. to reserve a character for xxx days please pm me with a brief synopsis of the character
( plus whatever details you might think is useful ).

Now, instead of posting for advice and hinting that I have bugged you, you could have simply sent me a PM regarding how you're feeling about me leaving two WIPs in your roleplay's CS section. I intend to complete them both today, and the reason I have two WIP sheets is because the two characters are very close to each other so I have to keep their backstories consistent. So there's my bit on why I have two WIPs.

I'm not going to leave the question you're asking at hand alone though. I'm still going to give you my two cents on WIP sheets. WIP sheets are a way for people to reserve names, powers, or something else that they are afraid that someone might take before they do. It becomes an issue when they leave the CS and never have any intention of completing it.

The first and most easy way to combat this type of thing is simply put a rule: "No WIP sheets. Please complete before posting." That would certainly deter people who aren't even intending to complete their character sheets. This will also make users hurry up and finish their CS to reserve powers, names, face claims, or anything of the like. That is one option.

The other option is the one you've already provided. Simply giving a time limit to complete the CSes will ensure people complete them or drop them altogether. As a GM, you have the right to delete any content within your roleplays, without notifying the players. So if something bothers you, you may simply delete it because you are exercising your rights as a GM.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go finish those character sheets instead of "bugging" you with two WIPs.
First, I am sorry to have offended you. That was never my intention. You just happened to be "the straw that broke the camel's back." I was frustrated and was legitimately hoping someone had a suggestion for a better way to handle WIPs. Still, this was admittedly a bad way of handling it. That said, if I wished to hint to you that what you did was bugging me I would have just sent you a PM. So this truly was a thread made to answer my question and not some passive-aggressive swipe at you. Ironically, I did this to avoid confrontation and try and be less of a jerk.

First, I am sorry to have offended you. That was never my intention. You just happened to be "the straw that broke the camel's back." I was frustrated and was legitimately hoping someone had a suggestion for a better way to handle WIPs. Still, this was admittedly a bad way of handling it. That said, if I wished to hint to you that what you did was bugging me I would have just sent you a PM. So this truly was a thread made to answer my question and not some passive-aggressive swipe at you. Ironically, I did this to avoid confrontation and try and be less of a jerk.

That's alright, I can't blame you for looking for suggestions. Some good suggestions were already provided above and you pretty much found a really good way to handle them on your own, anyways.

Anyways, I'll finish the bios today so they won't be WIP anymore. Looking forward to your RP. =)

I'd just ask the WIP people, either ahead of time or after the fact, to state when they expect their CS to be complete. And then reserve the right to be strict about it if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back