Tech Windows 10 - What do you think of it?

Giyari

Magical_Girl.exe
Roleplay Type(s)
Who's got it yet? Think it's much of a difference?

I've jumped from 7 to 10, all I can say is there's a lot of unnecessary guff and "apps" littering things that I'm slowly uninstalling.

After buying my new computer I drove it home, opened it, and couldn't wait for more than my old 1.5 gigs of data. Installing it was slow and careful, I didn't want to do anything wrong

"Would you like to upgrade to windows 10 for free?"

heart skipped a beat: NEVER

Seriously, remember the last times a new thing came out? I mean except vista to windows 7, there weren't improvements

And it's not microsoft's fault, just that new stuff is always more buggy than the old stuff. Except vista. My take would be never to install a new microsoft system until a year and a half after it's released

Giyari said:
Who's got it yet? Think it's much of a difference?
I've jumped from 7 to 10, all I can say is there's a lot of unnecessary guff and "apps" littering things that I'm slowly uninstalling.
Yeah agreed, it's sad but I think the apps aren't going away. I always delete as many as I can and never use them. I mean this is a PC not an iphone

It's a dual-functionality OS. It's taking the best of Windows 7 and the "best" of Windows 8/8.1 and combining them. Sure there is issues, but that is mostly with unoptimized programs and drivers. Give it a month or two and any good developer should have those issues patched up.

With that, I'm just going to point out a lot of the positives I've noticed and experienced so far with Windows 10. To me, it looks overall sleeker and more asethically pleasing. Windows 7 just seemed a little bland, so the nice change of pace through everything is really nice. The pre-installed browser, Edge, is actually really nice, too. It's fast and simple, as a browser should be. It's only in alpha, so it can only go up from it's current state. The one downside of it, though, is the no extensions yet. Things like ad blocker and security extensions would only boost my approval of it. The final major thing I'd like to point out is the quick access for file explorer is really handy, too. It's relatively easy to navigate, adding and removing files from the "front page" makes digging around your computer to open specific files a lot less of a hassle.

I used 7 for years, and still continue to use it at work. I was really excited to see the new OS with all its shiny nobs and features. That's just the kind of tech geek I am. I upgraded the day it came out and was actually impressed with how well it functioned. I really like the new start menu. I have a lot of programs so being able to sort through them alphabetically is wonderful. The notification center is pretty nifty too. Putting all those message bubbles in one place is better than having them pop up only to miss what they said. Cortana is pretty cool too, although just another siri clone.

Now for the gripes:

After having the OS installed for a few days i noticed a few things. First and foremost, my start menu completely stopped working as well as my right click function. After attempting a fix via powershell (and failing) I decided to wipe the drive and install fresh. I didn't actually boot from a disk or usb drive though, I just hit the reset button.

After the reset, the OS failed to start, and after hours of troubleshooting, i finally decided to reinstall the os, losing all my data.

Moral of the story: Don't use the reset button in Windows 10. It breaks all the things.

[QUOTE="Neon Stack]
Moral of the story: Don't use the reset button in Windows 10. It breaks all the things.

[/QUOTE]
I'd say the true moral of the story was not to use Windows 10 in the first place. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Bit of a late reply from me, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have typed my opinions, but the time was instead spent on cleaning up my vomit off my keyboard after fully realizing I was going to talk about Windows 10.

The UI is fine. It's more usable than 8 was, for sure. However, Microsoft has failed in two major ways:

1. They are doing all they can to force people to upgrade and continue nagging you even when you aren't interested.

2. There is a whole host of telemetry data being sent back to Microsoft from Windows 10 that they are using to sell advertisements and generally make more money (which is why they are able to offer it for "free"). MS has essentially turned their OS into its own brand of spyware, and it's quite sad to see.

True, it has become a form of spyware and I understand why people don't like it. I just believe that it is still an upgrade from Windows 7 and 8. Windows 7 was just becoming too dated for me. Windows 8 was just poor for desktop users and I never experienced on anything that didn't have a touchscreen.

It would be perfect if it wasnt for the f'ing pop ups that ask you to rate the app you're using that were a pain in the ass to disable

Even still, whenever I use a calculator it still asks me to rate it.

Still better than windows 8 though. Boots faster too

[QUOTE="Killer Queen]It would be perfect if it wasnt for the f'ing pop ups that ask you to rate the app you're using that were a pain in the ass to disable
Even still, whenever I use a calculator it still asks me to rate it.

Still better than windows 8 though. Boots faster too

[/QUOTE]
I'm under the impression linux most likely boots faster than windows 10.

I updated to Win10, and I'm honestly really enjoying it. I love the aesthetic, and I love the reminder feature on Cortana. Updating all the drivers was a pain in the ass and unintuitive (I was texting my boyfriend to walk my through it) but after the initial setup, it's fine.

My two main gripes are that it runs heavier on the RAM than 8.1 did, and that the video driver seems to be slightly more prone to crashing.

Actually, make that three - SCP doesn't have a Win10 version of Xinput. :'c

I do agree with the aesthetic of it. I personally find it really nice and intuitive with a desktop. It's the best of both worlds. Another thing I like is the quick access panel in the files. Makes it a lot easier when you are working on a project of some sort. I'm not a huge fan of Cortana, but that's probably cause I don't use it much. I didn't have any issues with updating drivers, though. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in that department.

It definitely runs heavier on ram than 8.1 or 7, which sucks, but I can deal with that. I also haven't had many crashes, but I do feel like it is prone to glitching or not launching correctly. For example, the notification thing for the action center and the start menu don't work correctly when I restart or boot up my computer from a power down. It sucks, but eventually it fixes itself.

I still got Windows 8.1 (Or Windows 9), and I've seen some Windows 10, since my friend has it and my home laptop has it, and I personally like 8.1 better... I mean, sure, it's pretty cool, but I still like the overall look of Windows 8/8.1 much better.

I personally quite like windows 10. Not because the changes made to the interface, but more so in the little things. What i experienced in prior versions of windows is that whenever i had the save to prompt open, i had to cancel the prompt whenever i forgot certain details of an image i wanted to save. Windows 10 now allows me to scroll the screen behind the prompt up and down while it is still open. It has helped me a ton whenever i added images from the internet to my folders, so i don't see myself switching back anytime soon.

I honestly think the GUI is a lot more sleeker than Windows 8.1 as well as that virtual assistant they included with it. That is pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back