WHY NOT: A Character Sheet

ArcaneUnit

Yeller belly
This is not a Golden Rule; Silver dollar? not likely; but worth 2 cents, certainly.

I Choose not to Create Character Sheets ( CS's ) for what I consider to be a valid reason.

As a 25 year old who has been writing a long time, and as a philosopher who deeply scrutinizes detail, growth, allusions, detail and meaning (preferring critiquing and revising over solo projects) I think That I have had enough experience to say:

Character Sheets are an Amateur's Escape route. They are a form of Procrastination. They impede progress.

None of what is written in the CS has manifestation in the story until it finds its way in, and once there, it has no place in the CS any longer.

What does not get written in the story, has no significance. It limits plot development as well as inspiration. It makes you feel as though unwritten plot, has found it's way into your RP and that prevents you from writing what needs to be there. If it is there, than you have no need for a CS.

However*

A CS can make for a very elaborate and useful Written description of your characters Appearance, which allows other RP Members to make referrals and comments. THE CS come's in handy here, instead of communicating with the Character Roleplayer for no significant reason, unless the Roleplayer gave a VERY descriptive Appearance Description.

srry. my writing isn't very "professional" here. .. I noticed. but let me continue -

The Roleplayer can put 1 more piece of Valuable information:

AURA: this description allows other RP members to expect stance, mood, tone, effect, attitude.

Character Sheet - ArcaneUnit's Functional CS

filled with one of my pref characters I never get to RP because I would have to Mary-Sue a preference plot atmosphere (Solo-write).

Name: "Adam"

(is my filler name, but would not likely manifest the man, because it symbolizes to me emphasis; and This character has that {as a character, not just as an example*}.)

Identification: [How you others can identify this man's name.] Renown/fame/infamy. ID on character. Records. Licences. Dog tags. Alias's / nicknames [alias's allow for broad plot twists and loops.].

Appearance~

Age: What does he look like*. How old he is, Doesn't matter in a CS (If you choose to add it to the story, it has no place here, if you don't it still has no place here.){ Age only allows other Roleplayers to openly discriminate against your characters behaviour and immaturity. }. Actual age is only of value to very skilled writers/roleplayers.

Head: Eyes, hair, piercings/scars/tattoos, nose, jaw, cheeks, forehead, eyebrows. (important features highlighted in bold)

Body: Height; skinny,muscular,heavy,athletic; tattoos/scars/anomalies (only as relevant [saying to much gives other RP members liberty to use information out of line])

Attire: [ only If your character does not find a closet regularly this matters. [ otherwise, it doesn't matter, UNLESS you're hoping other members will comment on it, what Heirlooms your characters has.]

**Nothing in a CS is for you. It is for cross referencing OR you are Procrastinating.**

Attitude per atmosphere: (this allows a people to interact with you.)

Keep each description short; generally 3 sentences tops

public: - seemingly oblivious; Considerate of other's space and merchandise, with no personal bubble; Passive-Observant, not particular.

social: open, but not revealing; Fidgety, but not uncomfortable. (Adam hides things)

engaged/busy: Can multitask, and communicate briefly; gets annoyed with mundane things in his ear; shuts people out.

annoyed: wants to be alone instead of communicating; if he can't Debate (if he is ignored); looses dexterity and self confidence/ cognitive thought skill. {^^^ His temper peaks here, in his desire to debate and maxes out. }

conflict: He thrives one sided with no room for consideration (all thought must be before hand or during pauses in action.) ~ Remains calm and resolute.* {does not have a hot temper} ^^^{he does not get madder in conflict.}

exhilarated: Spontaneous or senseless, easily detoured, fidgety, grabby and obnoxious.

AURA: (we are still continuing the Visual description.) *The ambiance*

Attitude should be written first.

How does he hold himself. AURA is temporal. Attitude is a personality trait.

-Adam holds himself with Resolute Confidence.

-He Relaxes his demeanor around imposing allied figures.

-And retracts with humility when a indisputable foe presents itself or shakes/sweats.

-He slinks, slides or hovers(moves/maneuvers without emotion {very dry}) when solo.

-dances/struts when uncaring.

-when beaten (at a loss) He drops his shoulders and is in awe, searching, and broken.

-when victorious he Puffs his chest, and humiliates himself expecting trouble.

-when furious he Rolls his shoulders forward.

-when sad, his shoulders pull together. and he likes to dip his neck.

-when excited he is small.(like the world is too big, and he is on the move pronto. no time to communicate.)

-when he is exalted, he Is Natural; He is without pride, childishly accepting without conceit. His natural girth. His most Humble state.

Outside this:

I don't know what a CS's functional value is...

Procrastinating.

Functional Character Sheet:

Name: (include species/ethnicity here)

Identification:

Apearance:

-look of age

-head:

~eyes, ears, nose, chin, cheeks

Jaw: // forehead(hairline): // Eyebrows: **

~piercings, scars, tattoos,

-body:

height:

body type:

markings:

-Attire [permanent]: (cloak, boots, headgear)

Attitude:

public:

social:

engaged/busy:

annoyed:

in conflict:

exhilarated:

Ambiance:

Natural Aura (comfortable) :

When allies take Point/authority :

When threatened :

When in private :

When rejoicefull :

When beaten (at a loss) :

When victorious :

When furious :

When sad :

When excited :

When exalted :

BACKSTORY: [This is for other role-players to cross reference in RP ONLY (has no other function)]

(Include skill sets here so that Roleplayers can turn their attention to your characters actions.

{including relics* can go here or in Identity if u like. [Yielder of Such-and-Who.]} )

Feel free to comment. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Character sheets are a record and an outline of the character. I don't know what you've seen them used for, but this is how I've always seen them used.

Also, for someone who claims to hate character sheets, you have a lot of superfluous information on your version of a character sheet. Attitude and ambience? The former I can see as a way to generalize an outline of the character's personality, but what use is ambiance going to give you in a play by post game? It seems like it's not going to do anything other than take away the need to write your character with a piece of boolean logic.

JayTee said:
Character sheets are a record and an outline of the character. I don't know what you've seen them used for, but this is how I've always seen them used.
Also, for someone who claims to hate character sheets, you have a lot of superfluous information on your version of a character sheet. Attitude and ambience? The former I can see as a way to generalize an outline of the character's personality, but what use is ambiance going to give you in a play by post game? It seems like it's not going to do anything other than take away the need to write your character with a piece of boolean logic.
Well; There is no need for any record of the character outside the RP, or You really weren't that into the RP or the Character, and the backstory and skill sets seldom play into the current plot or character Persona in any relevant way (do to player skill.)

UNLESS ur CS was entirely made-per-play.

The "Superfluous" information is there specifically for other RP Players to be able to look to your character in a Story Mode Turn and make accurate comments(/movements). Therefor... not very superfluous. :) that's all. relative information which is of value to other RP Players.

The CS is not for the CS maker!!!

All the Ambiance-Modes have been listed to mix-match and make accurate assumptions/assertions for varying moments and events.

[*A Character Sheet is not a Profile. Not by definition or function. So if you want to attach a Profile to your Character sheet go right ahead. But A profile is not necessary for other Writers.*

(it doesn't help them understand anything other than General World building aspects, which should have been considered prior in discussions not on a CS anyways... technically.]

When tracking movements, such as a run towards combat, Cautiousness or Determination can be determined by the environment, or the RP Players demonstration of emotional connectivity/ and movements/intent. AURA isn't really precedent in this moment** {But Attitude does play a part* and should accurately be reflected here.}

ArcaneUnit said:
Well; There is no need for any record of the character outside the RP, or You really weren't that into the RP or the Character, and the backstory and skill sets seldom play into the current plot or character Persona in any relevant way (do to player skill.)
I believe this is a variation of the No True Scotsman fallacy, to wit: "No TRUE role-player uses a character sheet."

I find this to be absolutely false, not only because the premise is in and of itself a fallacy, but because in my experience, people get so invested in a role-play that they can't help but produce more and more content. Without an outlet like a proper RP (usually due to time constraints on behalf of the other party) their character sheets tend to grow to tremendous lengths as a way to keep the creative energies flowing.

Alternately, they get so excited for an RP and so invested in the character, that before a game has even begun they're writing up dozens of paragraphs of backstory and personality.

Wit back at you; I used the word Need not Use.

but thanks. (@JayTee but did you ramble on as though I used USE instead of NEED. .. am I reading your comment right or were you babbling?)

but YEs @JayTee a character Chronicle-log is useful. But that is not a Character sheet. That is an RP chronicle log. And I didn't just make that up either, that is what THAT is: a LOG.

RP LOG.

Temporal, and Personal attributes are two different things.

"Estoy" and "Soy"

"I am" and "I am"

I am King and I am Man.

A character sheet and a character chronicle log are two names for the same thing. People may not NEED to use a character sheet in the same way that I need a keyboard to type, but people like having them and enjoy it. I fail to see how this is a problem, or how other people having fun in a way that you don't like is an issue to merit a thread dedicated to it's discussion.

perhaps you should re-read the original post. You've deviated far and left little relativity between.

@JayTee I do not in any way, "Not like making, having or seeing Character Sheets".

:)

I nvr said that. I am suggesting that they are not productive for RP or Novelling.

Character Profiles can be very enjoyable.

Regardless..

srry to sound arrogant for chewing this dead cat.

I suspect that you own a thesaurus but don't read it closely enough. This feels like a wholly pretentious exercise.

I think there's room for a syncretism here; JayTee is correct in saying that for some, the character sheet serves as useful reference and an outlet for enthusiasm. That it is also a source of procrastination is pretty valid. That it serves as reference for other players is totally valid, and can also help the player keep track of their character following a lull in posting.

In a game with a GM, the sheet is also very useful to the GM for NPC reactions, plot threads, and challenges.

I do find it odd that you'd suggest 'aura' as a valid component of the sheet; surely you should be expressing that through descriptions of character behaviour in-thread far more than listing it on a sheet?

EDIT: Good grief I dropped some ridiculous typos in here.

HIGHLANDER! I value your response

but I am have to defend my claim, as you seem to have misunderstood me.

AURA: is not naturally assumable or presumable via Character Description.

Being an angry person, a rude person, a smart person, a calm person etc.. with tramatic histories etc...

That doesn't have any more influence on your Swagger than your name.

er. not sure I totally understand half of your points to be honest so I'll just tap in with my two cents.

I think as @Grey stated in a group setting with multiple characters the character sheet serves to help the GM ensure that your character meets the setting and requirements of the roleplay and helps them come up with ways to include them in the over arching story.

But that's for more detailed roleplays - casual or walk in roleplays I've always felt were similar to round robins in excerise. You don't have characters or anything really your just making up a story that is expanded on whatever the person above you is making. Thus your correct a character sheet would be useless.

Second I agree with @JayTee I'm personally find character sheets extremely helpful with keeping track of my characters basic stats and giving me a way to flesh out an idea so that they fit the plot.

I'm not saying you need to have them - some roleplays literally the only work I do on my character is making an id with their picture, powers, name, and occupation.

Others I'll make whole notebooks with personality, backstory, specific skills, etc.

These are as much for my own personal reference as they are for my partner.

After all if my character for instance is a witch - it's useful to have a list of spells she can use.

If they are a superhero it's useful to know exactly what their powers are as well as their limitations.

I'm not saying that a character sheet is a requirement for making a good character but I am saying that done correctly it is a very useful tool for people adding depth and realism to their character.

--------------------------

What I think your issue stems from is people filling out character sheets incorrectly or with useless information.

I seriously had someone ask for my characters favorite colors / animal / food / song as well as their blood type / zodiac sign in a profile once. I remember thinking that those were completely ridiculous questions as they had nothing to do with my character as a person at all.

If your making a character sheet and the only thing your putting in is arbitrary information about your character that doesn't affect their personality or place within the story ( or their apperance if your using written descriptions ) then yes the character sheet becomes a useless tool.

But by that token - no one is making you read them. And on this site especially you usually make your own so if you have information you think is important for your partner to know - write it out in a CS.

If you would prefer to introduce them in the roleplay that's fine too.

It's all a personal preference in the end.

ArcaneUnit said:
HIGHLANDER! I value your response
but I am have to defend my claim, as you seem to have misunderstood me.

AURA: is not naturally assumable or presumable via Character Description.

Being an angry person, a rude person, a smart person, a calm person etc.. with tramatic histories etc...

That doesn't have any more influence on your Swagger than your name.
I'd contend that body language, tone of voice, and choice of actions all communicate these things about a character.

Grey said:
I'd contend that body language, tone of voice, and choice of actions all communicate these things about a character.
Tushay. agreed to disagree. (yet I yield to some degree...)

[ I cannot contend with logical reasoning. ]

I wouldn't want to play with a character where I have no idea why he is the way he is. It's fun to make up a personality that matches a fictional background, and then play out accordingly. Without a CS, everyone just does whatever, and that's insanely annoying.

Sunbather said:
I wouldn't want to play with a character where I have no idea why he is the way he is. It's fun to make up a personality that matches a fictional background, and then play out accordingly. Without a CS, everyone just does whatever, and that's insanely annoying.
What I usually find is people have very poor psychology skills, philosophical understanding, life experience, social science prerequisites or knowledge in general (generally being amateurs) to accurately apply Said Fictional Backgrounds to a character's personality accordingly.

Also you can, like myself, briefly consider what you think of your character and hope that it comes together as nice as you like, or meld and bend tot he plot / environment, / RP developed world history/CULTURE. so... { benefit of an archtype }

I typically feel people just do whatever in that annoying manner whether they did so with, in or around their CS anyways..

again.

thanks for contributing: @Sunbather

Well, I disagree. But I'm picky about the RPs I join, so I usually end up with people who play well. If I were to expect everyone to be an awful writer, I wouldn't RP, I'd write novels.

some of the things you're debating about in this thread make me feel wary.... but, here i am

i think i agree with grey

whether or not the cs (the type Arcane is criticizing) is needed by the person creating the cs or the other players, i think it definitely has an important use. as a gm, if i were to only require a description of the appearance (which is, if you're being technical, the ONLY necessary part for fellow players to see- things like age, attire, etc. fall into the broad appearance category) i might end up accepting people into my rp that i otherwise might not have. why? because maybe the personality of the character, which was only discovered after the rp, just didn't fit with what i was looking for. maybe someone has a totally mary-sue character, or maybe someone's being op. maybe their writing just isn't very realistic. a cs filled out with more than appearance can give a gm a better idea of someone's writing and the character, and whether or not they want to accept the player into their game. of course, only requiring the appearance doesn't mean that you're going to end up accepting everyone or not be able to tell, from that, who you'd like to accept. for some people, it would be very obvious. but for others, it won't.

in the past i have thought about how fun it would be to make an rp with a cs containing info that would only be possible to know at a first meeting between characters, or containing the bare bones of what was needed to reference at the start of the rp, but the reality is that it would be a really bad idea unless you had a group of trusted individuals.

if we're debating whether or not certain parts of a cs are necessary or productive, and we're being really literal about it then yes, only appearance is necessary. some others have had nice points on how "extra" stuff helps them.

also, i'd say it's impossible to consider everything from a character's background- the culture (especially if it is from one the player isn't familiar with, or if it's a made-up one), how exactly the events in their life changed them, all the events themselves (plotting out every small detail from their birth- no, events before birth would still affect them so it's much longer than that- to current day would be absolutely ridiculous), the effect and influence their parents, siblings, grandparents, other family had on them, etc, the society they're in...

almost all people won't be able to have a complete understanding of themselves and their background, so to make one up for a character all we can do is try our best. of course, you'll think some people's best is better than others, but... eh... i can't remember where i was going with this anymore

i suppose you're right in saying most people can't apply said fictional backgrounds to characters, but there's so many reasons for it. it might be the hardest/most complicated thing to do in coming up with a character. and writing it all down, planning it out in a cs might help people with it, rather than trying to keep all the info straight in their head.

@Demon, I completely respect that response.

To the previous posters Demon has redeemed some of your lack of communication.

From a GM's perspective, the character sheet says something about the Roleplayers skills and logic.

This makes a CS very useful for a referencing outside rp content. It is like a cover letter for a resume.

And**** I never said I don't enjoy them. I love the character sheets I have made in my day.

I think the confusion comes in when you said :

ArcaneUnit said:
Character Sheets are an Amateur's Escape route. They are a form of Procrastination. They impede progress.

None of what is written in the CS has manifestation in the story until it finds its way in, and once there, it has no place in the CS any longer.

What does not get written in the story, has no significance. It limits plot development as well as inspiration. It makes you feel as though unwritten plot, has found it's way into your RP and that prevents you from writing what needs to be there. If it is there, than you have no need for a CS.
This is where many of us are getting the impression you don't like character sheets - especially as you stated prior to this that you do not create character sheets yourself.

Our responses are an attempt to explain WHY people make character sheets. As I personally don't believe that they are in any way a form of procrastination for one thing.

As a unrepentant procrastinator in my every day life I can promise you that making a character sheet is in no way an act of procrastination.

As after all procrastination is putting off doing something for as long as possible. So putting in the effort to make a character sheet would be at best stalling the roleplay. And that's only if your making like an entire notebook with several pages of information and making your partner wait to start until you had your autobiography done.

For another I'm not sure where you get "nothing in a CS has manifestation in a story - or that it shouldn't be in a character sheet once it's in the roleplay.

Why?

I mean I do mostly power or fantasy roleplays so many of my characters have some kind of special skill. I usually write an overview of their powers in their character sheet.

For instance - a character that can transform into a crow.

I can put that in the character sheet in the beginning so my partner knows what my characters special abilities is.

But by the same token they will obviously at some point physically transform in the roleplay itself.

Why then would that make the information invalid in the Character Sheet?

The purpose of your character sheet is to give an overview for your character to your partner.

In a group as Demon said it's to determine overall skillsets in potential players.

But in onexones it's equally as important.

As again it shows you quickly and easily what level your partner is at. If they can't fill out a character sheet properly or if they fill it out with typos and poor grammar than that's a good indiction of the fact that they will do the same things in their posts.

For another it allows you to see if your partner can integrate their character into your story as well.

To add to what @readingraebow said, many people including myself are forgetful and scatterbrained when it comes to character creation. Character sheets help me to organize my thoughts while making sure all the important stuff is there so I'm not wracking my brain trying to remember something.

readingraebow said:
I think the confusion comes in when you said :
For another I'm not sure where you get "nothing in a CS has manifestation in a story - or that it shouldn't be in a character sheet once it's in the roleplay.
You don't write the RP plot into your character Sheet do you? So what would make a history relative.

Character back story is unprecedented - I believe. even if fun*

This.. well, it's a thin line.

I do believe a CS should often be used, especially in group roleplays, to keep track of abilities, personality, and the like. Names are huge.

That is, who the hell is playing what character.

It doesn't have to be extensive, but it, in my opinion, should give your character a bit of an outline.

In 1v1s... ehhh.

Take a look at this CS. xD

Sun, Hero, and Citadel | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum

( I'm so sorry @DescriptedEnd )

It's... sparse. There's nothing to it. We do know where we're going with what characters, and we both know the histories of our characters. Then again, that roleplay is unique. (...really though, those post dates.)

In that roleplay, we're winging it. Usually not a good idea.

Often a bad idea in groups.

The intention with that 1v1 is that we'll add to it in time.

In a normal roleplay, I'd say CS' are almost needed. Organization is great.

I've been in roleplays where I've written literal pages. ( Like this one, The Dimension Keepers | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum )

That still hasn't started, @Dandelion Princess .

From a GMing perspective, I do believe a character sheet (with or without a writing sample) gives an idea of their players' general capabilities. It also prevents Godmodding, which is stopped before it starts.

In dice roleplays, it is absolutely essential, no questions asked.

That said... it doesn't need to happen in non-dice roleplays. In my opinion, it should. It's not a life-or-death thing, though. Anyhow, just my opinion. ^-^

ArcaneUnit said:
You don't write the RP plot into your character Sheet do you? So what would make a history relative.
Character back story is unprecedented - I believe. even if fun*
To give you an example of what would make a personal history relevent to the story.

I'm in a roleplay where the central plot is a hate crime murder mystery. A classic whodunnit.

Both my characters come from two entirely different backgrounds.

One is a wealthy girl who comes from a very prejudice and elitist background. To her the victim is little more than trash.

This is because she grew up in an enviornment that glorified wealth and the "one percent."

My second character is from a rural background and a big and open minded family. She was taught to value her family and to get along with all walks of life from an early age. As a result she considers the crime to be a severe injustice and is determined to help catch the killer.

This is because her family instilled in her a good sense of right and wrong and because she was raised to believe that everyone had intrinsic value as a human being.

Two girls. Two totally different backgrounds.

But because of their histories they will have two totally different views on the main plot and indeed they will be looked at by OTHER CHARACTERS differently.

The girl from the rural background who believes the victim deserves justice will be seen as a good guy and someone to help in the unofficial investigation.

The girl from the wealthy background with the prejudiced views will be seen with distrust by the rest of the characters.

All of this because of what I put into their backstory.

Sure some of it will be based on how the characters act in the roleplay but the snap decisions on the other characters part - THis one is good and this one is bad - is in large part due to their background.

Even if the girl from the prejudiced background was as nice as could be and tried to help - she would still be rebuffed because in the world of the roleplay her family would be seen as "bad people"

By the same token - say the girl from the "good family" actually turns out to be the killer - well because she would come from a certain background and act in a certain way chances are none of the other characters would suspect her for a long time.

It's just the way human nature works. We judge people.

And not just on who they are as people but who their families are and were their from.

For that matter our own experiences shape how we interact with the world around us.

So yeah all that said ... why wouldn't a history be relevant? It's basically telling you your characters background and personal experiences. Which do effect them as people.

As to why put that backstory into a character sheet - well unless I want my character spouting exposition all the live long day - this is a good way for other people to get a good look at what experiences and background make up my character.

Also as @GiggledustJedi stated I personally benefit from having my backstory written out so I don't have to go back through and constantly make up things to make my character fit OR forget key points on my characters history.

@readingraebow

Well. You can simply state one girl is prejudice and one is Openhearted.

cause, likely a city girl would say, "I am one of a bazillion and thus, each one part is significant." and the country girl would say, "I am not apart of the bazillion, they are a bazillion parts of their own part. Why would I care about them."

the country girl sees the city as a big rats nest, the city girls sees the rats nest from inside with respect.

NO one knows she is a rich or farm girl unless YOU say so in RP. that is how we knew xD lol

The only relevant part REALLY was the prejudice or considerate aspect. The rest was what I consider to be RP procrastination. (it will be revealed when necessary)

but I value ur opinion. Thanks

as far as rich people being bad however;

economics: investing money pays for infrastructure, insurance and wages immediately. we need it for an economic structure.

one man can't feed a nation even if he has money to do so. Food must be grown and moved. aka. man power. u can't blame rich for famine if no one grows food.

I am FLAT broke. I do not spite or hold enmity against rich people.

just as a personal lesson for you.

a poor country boy, minimalist, feminist, revolutionist, religious, hater of adultery, hater of laziness, hater of arrogance and ignorance, semi-stoner who hates drug abuse, post-gamer, athletic sloth, philosopher who can't bear scientifically-inaccurate opinions, homophobe(I hate homos) who has no problem sleeping in beds with 40 year old homosexual men, tech-guru, and I hate slavery (I am specifically thinking of capitalism, but also include contemporary "slavery").

I have no negative judgements about or against rich people, prejudice people or discriminative people. not at all.

so.

that's me.

can U make an assumption about me?
if I don't tell you anything about my Ambiance?

My Point is and was CS are - ... (re-read my previous posts)

that is my opinion.**

thank you.

People use CSes as a reference point when they need to talk to another person's character or somehow forgets about their own character's character traits. While I agree that one should use the story to build upon a character, something to refer to would be nice as well.

I find myself losing track of my own characters' characteristics, because Sally (character 1) may be an insufferable bitch, while Christopher (character 2) might be a loving guy. Sometimes, I need something to cement and refurbish those two characteristics so I don't accidentally have Christopher snapping snarkily at his best friend, and Sally reassuring hers that everything will be okay.

Edit: Added to that, some of us like to have a little bit of predictability on our side. We KNOW Christopher is going to do something nice, while Sally is going to be toxic, or at best, tsundere as hell. All in all, CSes may be trivial, but they exist for a reason. Someone mentioned organisation. That's one. Two is that, do you ever realise that some writers of novels tend to create the image of a character in our minds first? Either from another's perspective, or observing one's self in a mirror or otherwise. Same thing here. We save ourselves the trouble of having to describe our character in the narrative.

It's an RP, not a novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back