Why No Man's Sky launch was a failute

TeaMMatE11

The Ninja. Now you see me, Now you don't.
Ok.  Well.  Here we go.

the reasons here I state are PC specific, I think.

No Man's Sky.  Space exploration.  Combat.  Essentially a space version of minecraft.  What's not to love?  A procedurally generated world, nearly a limitless universe.

Here's my 2 cents why I think No Man's Sky dun goofed.

1) Framerate stability.  Console players, this doesn't really apply to you.  But for us PC gamers...well...the frame rate drop is pretty terrible.  You go from a smooth 60 to under 30.  

2) The devs are a bunch of liars, promising that you could encounter people's ships, when it is only a singleplayer game.

3) The worlds are supposedly unique, but they're not that unique in the sense that the planets are retextured versions of themselves.

4) The price.  An indie game for a AAA price.  I'd rather go play Elite: Dangerous for $20 bucks, with AAA graphics and a stable game.  (No joke, Elite: Dangerous is almost the same thing as No Man's Sky.)

I think this is the worst game launch I'be seen since Battlefield 3.

Don't get me wrong; it's a great game for the same reasons minecraft is appealing; it's an open world sandbox.  The closest game I can think of is Mount and Blade: Warband, except in space.  I say this: good concept, terrible execution.

But for above reasons (and hopefully get patched later down the line), it's just not worth the money or time.

Honestly, the game was never meant to be an MMO, nor is it a Minecraft game. I never heard of the devs claiming you could do anything with others, save for seeing the names you upload on planets or whatnot. That was just the expectations of people blowing out of proportion, and rumors spreading like wildfire. I work at a game store so I've watched this build up and I anticipated the mixed reviews so much. Because people got too hyped. They started thinking, and comparing it to other things, and getting ideals mixed with what the game really was. An exploration game. That's what we saw during E3 and that's what we got. Although I will agree that a lot of the textures look similar. The creatures, landscapes, plants and other things are actually quite different if you look at them well. Enough that it really isn't a lie to say the worlds are unique. They are planning on adding things to the game as well, but I plead, do not over anticipate. The only thing I know for sure is you'll be able to build a base or something like that in an upcoming feature. But yeah.

Right now, the game will feel a bit on the empty side until updates like that start rolling in. That's the only complaint I have.

I'm not saying you have to like this game. In fact, what I tell people who are looking at this game in my store, is you'll either love it or hate it (followed by some disclosures about the common misconceptions). I try to encourage people to aim for pre-owned versions if they do want to try it, because at least that way they can get a full refund for the game if they are disappointed by it. Otherwise, if you're too doubtful about the content, I probably wouldn't recommend it too much right now.

But on a last note, Elite is friggin awesome, and you should totally just go play that if No Man's Sky isn't your cup of tea.

Honestly, the game was never meant to be an MMO, nor is it a Minecraft game. I never heard of the devs claiming you could do anything with others, save for seeing the names you upload on planets or whatnot. That was just the expectations of people blowing out of proportion, and rumors spreading like wildfire. I work at a game store so I've watched this build up and I anticipated the mixed reviews so much. Because people got too hyped. They started thinking, and comparing it to other things, and getting ideals mixed with what the game really was. An exploration game. That's what we saw during E3 and that's what we got. Although I will agree that a lot of the textures look similar. The creatures, landscapes, plants and other things are actually quite different if you look at them well. Enough that it really isn't a lie to say the worlds are unique. They are planning on adding things to the game as well, but I plead, do not over anticipate. The only thing I know for sure is you'll be able to build a base or something like that in an upcoming feature. But yeah.

Right now, the game will feel a bit on the empty side until updates like that start rolling in. That's the only complaint I have.

I'm not saying you have to like this game. In fact, what I tell people who are looking at this game in my store, is you'll either love it or hate it (followed by some disclosures about the common misconceptions). I try to encourage people to aim for pre-owned versions if they do want to try it, because at least that way they can get a full refund for the game if they are disappointed by it. Otherwise, if you're too doubtful about the content, I probably wouldn't recommend it too much right now.

But on a last note, Elite is friggin awesome, and you should totally just go play that if No Man's Sky isn't your cup of tea.

They said a lot of what would be in the game which never game. From what I heard they went lower than EA, and that is quite a challenge and not something to be proud of.

What I'm finding is sad is the fact that after playing the game for one weekend (buying a ship I think is cool, finding a nice 17 slot multi-tool and making all the upgrades I want, getting 15 drop pods and having three million credits) I feel that there is nothing left to do in the game

No Man's Lie. There were a lot of things we were promised that we just didn't get. Sure there were a lot of big expectations and rumors, but that wasn't all of it. A lot of our expectations came from the devs themselves. Personalized ships, factions, desert planets, dynamic day and night cycles with the stars, landing on asteroids, and worst of all multiplayer. I mean sure, it was sort of false hope that their would be multiplayer, and you could fly around with your friends, but when the devs straight up tell you, hey you'll be able to do that, you believe them. You don't think they'd have the nerve to lie straight to your face like that. I think that's why it went so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTPlqK8AnY

This video explains why it went wrong, better than I can or have time to though. In the end I enjoyed the game for about 20 or so hours. But now just bored, and done. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back