• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic who's intrested in playing a gritty superpower based roleplay?

GoblinNerd27

Jibba!! Jibba!!
So I'm new to the site but not new to GMing. I like having fun with roleplays using dice to figure out stuff but I am a hardcore in character type of guy who will try to challenge players.

Anyways, the roleplay dice game itself is called WORM based of the internet series worm. Its basically a game where all the players are considered "villains" because in this the moral lines of hero and villain tend to blur or not exist. The way you get powers in this worls is three ways. 1; you go through a very traumatic experience and at that instance you gain your powers, 2; if your parent has superpowers (from going the traumatic event known as a trigger event) then you will eventually develop powers if not similar to your parent, 3; and finally three, these are unique people found in this world that look completely different then humans. they are known as case 53's. and though their are not many of them they all share the same unique symptoms. one; they have a different physiology then humans, two; they have no memory prior to waking up somewhere usually random (like in a ditch on the side of the road or in some abandoned building) and of course they have powers as well.

So who's possibly interested? looking for at least 4 players for this :)

I would love to try this. I am not new to RPGs but and am new to WORM. I will look into it and see what I could create.

Sweet! if you need help I am a big fan and can tell you what your powers cannot do because of the series actually reason why called the manton effect

The mechanics that it uses is very easy to learn

I'm cautiously interested. Would I need to read all of the Worm storyline? I understand there's around 1.5 million words in the web serial and I simply would not have the time to read all of it. I will work through as I play, but I would be interested in at least a rough sketch of what is and is not possible in the setting if you are able to provide that. :)

You wouldn't have to, this is basically set in an alternate earth where the capes started appearing at 1915 instead of 1980

So capes became a essential part of the world wars

and just ask me questions and i'll help limit your power, basically don't try to be very general with your power, try to be creative with it

Okay, so those with "superpowers" were noticed and used in the world wars. Somewhat like Larry Corriea's stories. What kinds of powers are there? Is there a system being used to generate characters or are we going freeform?

free form and I can list how the government categorizes powers (and powers can fall under multiple categories)

Hmmmm....I haven't had good luck with freeform games so I'll pass for now. Good luck and I look foward to reading the storyline!

Mover: A mover has the ability to transport themselves and/or others to other locations, by means of enhanced speed, teleportation, flight, vehicles or the like. PRT typically appends the mover classification with the specific type of capability, eg Mover: Teleporter.

shaker: A Shaker can affect a broader area, asserting some degree of control over the battlefield. May include gas, explosions, forcefields, and ambient or radiated effects. Most wide-area-effect, forcefield and spacetime manipulation powers fall under the Shaker classification.

Brute: A Brute classification typically indicates enhanced strength or durability, capes who are most dangerous in a melee and are typically very difficult to put down. While the execution may remain fairly stable, the source of this power can vary.

Breaker: A breaker is those who have some ability to ‘break’ the natural laws of the universe as far as those laws apply to them. This is frequently a side effect of powers to prevent them from harming their owners. They typically have the ability to alter themselves to a different state in which they maintain different abilities. Appends other powers, but only in this state. Can also include general altered states.

Master: A cape whose powers let them control others or create minions (be they humans, parahumans, animals or specific objects). Can range from ability to control simple insects all the way up to superhuman/projections. Varies from area (touch to long distance), number of beings affected (one being to nearly infinite), simple commands to absolute control and across a spectrum of time lengths and programming (short durations vs. indefinitely or programmed commands). Can be of pseudo-telepathic variety (there are no true telepaths except for the Simurgh) or require voice commands. The PRT typically designates Masters as the second-highest threat in any situation.

Tinker: Covers anyone with powers that give them an advanced grasp of science. Lets them make technology years ahead of its time. They can intuitively create or alter many devices beyond the usual restrictions of knowledge, resources and physics. Tinkers are less dangerous when removed from their gear, but should not be assumed to be harmless. A typical tinker can artificially assume any number of other classifications, depending on speciality. Speciality should be appended to the classification in every case possible. Many Tinker devices cannot be maintained or used safely by anyone except the Tinker in question.

Blaster: A cape with ranged, offensive attacks of some form. Can include blasts, thrown or moved objects, grenades. Not always damaging, but generally deleterious.

Response varies greatly depending on the nature of the blaster. At low levels, cover is highly recommended. At higher levels, movement is a higher priority, and cover should be assumed to be useless.

Thinker: Possesses enhanced knowledge, skills and/or perceptions beyond any reasonable norm. Includes clairvoyance, precognition, skill acquisition, enhanced hearing and enhanced sight.

Thinker capes, all numbers assumed to be equal, take the highest priority in engagements.

Striker: A cape with the ability to apply some effect by touch or at point-blank range. Has a power that applies on physical contact. Often applies a changed state, like the breaker classification, but isn’t personal. Melee range, including strength only without any durability, else it is classified as a Brute power.

The striker classification could include certain Breaker effects as they were applied to things other than the cape themselves, but not always. Other strikers included those who used energy weapons, those who had certain kinds of superstrength that weren’t accompanied by durability and those with pyrokinesis or such that didn’t extend more than a foot around them.

Changer: Can alter their form, appearance, and/or natural abilities through some manipulation of their bodies. Does not include new powers beyond natural weapons, armor, or durability.

Trump: Can manipulate powers in some capacity, altering, granting, strengthening, weakening or removing them entirely, or has powers that interact solely with the powers of others. Can have different powers or effects based on circumstances.

Stranger: Stranger powers predominantly lend themselves to infiltration. Ability in question might bypass defenses, mislead, or help to avoid notice or otherwise affect a person's mind.

PRT response includes full ‘eyes on’ is SOP where possible. Other safeguards include indiscriminate fire and high priority targeting.

oh...well ok :( it uses dice but bye

Just a general what do i need to know and how not to make my character's powers not too powerful. I have not read Worm, so I'm not 100% on how the powers are in that universe.

you can come up with any creative power and a rule of powers In that world is called the manton effect, which means lets say you have telekinesis and your trying to hurt the person. The manton effect says that you cant have your power start on or inside someone (like heart crushing) but if its an external at first like shooting fire and hitting them they will catch fire. And with the power just come up with one and i'll help make the limits but warning the more general you make your power the more I limit it

a way I usually do power generation randomly is go to superpower wiki and press random power twice and combine them

I actually have an idea that I made, what feels like a decade ago, where it is similar to matter manipulation, whatever he touched would either become more brittle, or more pliable, like Play-Doh. Other power ideas were things like heating up oneself, or creating one powerful minion while being weak himself.

those work wonderfully

Now are you going to be a normal cape or a unique cape? (capes are the slang term civilians use to call people with superpowers)

Being a Unique Cape sounds cool, but I'm not sure I want to be one of them. If I had to say now, I would be the matter manipulator Unique Cape.

the unique cape means you either gained your power from a family member who has gone through there trigger event or your a case 53, a cape with a different physiology

if you want to give the summary, I will read it when I wake up tomorrow, because if I don't get some sleep now, I will say something regrettable on the internet.

I........ don't know if I should join another RP but I read the title and hoped like hell this was about Worm and was HAPPILY REWARDED.

So uh in short I highly enjoy that web serial. It would be interesting to see an RP of it? I'm gonna go paw at the RP thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back