Who else wants to RP without stringent time limits for posting?

Eye of Nowhere

Lost Prophecy
I would like to find a group of people who are looking for the likeminded folks amongst the masses here on RPN.  Namely: people who don't care for time constraints on posting.  Post from multiple times a day to once a week, or even multiple times a day, once a week.  In short, I wish to find a group of people who can do away with the concept of "post at least x times per y timeunit", so that the creative process isn't undermined. I see a host of people who want many paragraphs of good writing with interesting ideas and the resulting roleplays usually end after 10 posts.  Replies get shorter and shorter and then they just stop. People all over complain that roleplaying is a chore, not a hobby anymore.  In my opinion, this happens due to quantity demands. Posting daily becomes increasingly difficult when you grow up. It's fine when you're in school/college, but when you hit the real world, real life takes over.  You have other things to worry about and the daily routine can cause stress and frustration, which inhibits your creativity.  Add onto this that you have someone nagging you for daily posts and pointing to their arbitrary list of rules and you have a recipe for roleplay burnout.  

To me, it doesn't feel fair that a bunch of people can't enjoy a hobby because they can't practice it on a daily basis. So! Here I am, looking for all of you whom are busy beyond the screen.  Whom have lives, families and jobs to tend to before posting and who still want to enjoy a good roleplay to have fun with. Of course, the rest of you are welcome too, as long as you accept that people won't post if they can't.  

Roleplays will move slowly, yes.  But that just means that you can join more of them if you have time to spare. :D  

Are there more people who believe this is a good idea? I hope so. ^_^  

I'm actually a ' quick reply ' RPer but I was always adaptable to other peoples needs. Regardless of how new old they are to rping. I definitely see where you are coming from. I do end up getting at of those who love roleplaying but are constantly busy or even time zones can play effect to this to. This has ended some rps I was in ebruptly and I had always grew upset about it. Mainly because the RP host desided the lack of posting was an issue. I don't hate the lack of posting, I hated the fact the RP host ended the RP because of it. I think a system for the busy people in life would be a great idea. 

I'm actually a ' quick reply ' RPer but I was always adaptable to other peoples needs. Regardless of how new old they are to rping. I definitely see where you are coming from. I do end up getting at of those who love roleplaying but are constantly busy or even time zones can play effect to this to. This has ended some rps I was in ebruptly and I had always grew upset about it. Mainly because the RP host desided the lack of posting was an issue. I don't hate the lack of posting, I hated the fact the RP host ended the RP because of it. I think a system for the busy people in life would be a great idea. 

it's not so much a system as a group of people who won't end an RP when people are busy.  They just continue on when the posts roll in again.  Good communication is key, though.  A quick login and just a message that says "can't post until X" is all you need. 

In my opinion this would work best in a smaller group like basically a 1x1 or maybe like three or four people. As it's easier to keep a short group of people on task. When you get much beyond four or five people the schedules start diverging too much for this kind of wait and see post schedule to work.

because while I have had 1x1s where I am waiting months between replies it's also very easy to forget about a roleplay when you wait that long for posts. 

A group is is even harder because it's not just two people posting. So if say

Person 1 can post every three days

Person 2 can post twice a week ( maybe )

Person 3 can reply on Monday or Tuesday only

Person 4 can post every two weeks at various times

Person 5 has a inconsistent schedule ; say one week they can post every other day, the next week they can't post at all..

like me all of these are different schedules and you have to make them all work. And not only that but what if person five posts multiple times one week than can't post for several weeks? Then everyone else is held up waiting for them

like the best way for this to work is just to puppet other people's characters along if they can't post and give everyone a day to post by. Like you have to post by Friday for this week. If you don't than your character will just be moved along

Last edited by a moderator:
I only really insist on a post a week, most of the time, though if someone can do more out of consideration for the other players I appreciate it. I never demand a fixed wordcount, though I am toying with telling people not to go over 512 words and see how that works out.

I've been in a long term RP, with five other people, for quite awhile. We don't utilize any specific posting requirements, but there is a post rotation; to assure that everyone is posting equally (you want an equal amount of information about every character). Posting within three days is always good, but life gets in the way sometimes. 

I'm basically strictly one on one, but as long as you try to give me warning that it'll be over a week between replies 

(So I don't get anxious that you've dropped) I'm pretty chill. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back