• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Where Traitors Die and Cattle Roam

Gray Sage

Beware the JubJub Bird
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The cowboys are prowling. The coyotes are howling. Night winds blow up a squall. As dawn will arise, on the plains far and wide, you hear a cattle call.
22_good_water.jpeg

Maria flipped her wet hair up so it slapped against her back. Her breath puffing in the chilly morning air, the freshness of the little stream gave her new life after traveling in the desert for so long. She wiped her face again, rubbing her eyes and letting the cold water drift down her neck, taking the dust of her travels with it.

Frida neighed beside her, as if rolling her eyes at Maria’s dramatic washing habits.

“Oh shut up.” Maria splashed some water at the horse. “We should make it to the city today, and we have to make a good impression. Hopefully no one around here has heard about our last screw up.” The horse snorted. “Ok, my screw up.” She wondered what she would do if they decided not to hire her. She couldn’t afford to lose a case. Not with the way her last few cases had gone. Maybe she was losing her touch?

She threw her bandana down into the water to wash it, the running water paining her joints as she scrubbed the fabric. Despite the cool morning, she wanted to bathe and wash her clothes before she got into town where it would cost something to get clean. She was running low on funds, maybe another month of traveling left in her pocket, and with her losing streak she didn’t want to risk gambling. Of course… she did know how to pickpocket…

She slapped the handkerchief in the water again at the thought. She didn’t like that she entertained thoughts like that, but she wasn’t about to be desperate. She shivered after awhile, hanging her wet clothes on the branch of a barren looking tree, hoping the breeze would dry them before noon. She reached into her pack, grabbing a small comb and a bruised apple for breakfast. She combed through her wet tangled mop of hair pulling it into two long braids, draped over her shoulders. Whenever she wore her hair like this she felt it brought out the Indian in her features.

Maria munched on her apple while Frida sought out whatever grass she could find, as the landscape was slowly morphing from desert to greener terrain. She anxiously pondered the results of this meeting. How would the governor receive her? She shifted uncomfortably in the dirt. Still, from what she could remember of the city, it was lacking in corruption, so whatever Governor Young wanted her to find, she was confident it wouldn’t call her morals into question, not to mention bring a handsome reward.

The morning dragged on and the sun grew warmer. By her account, they would reach the city by the evening. Her efforts to clean would probably have a coat of dust on them by then, but at least it wasn’t a week’s worth. Once her trousers, tunic, socks, bandana, and undergarments were dried, she pulled out her chewstick and pine needles to clean her teeth, a habit strictly observed by her tribe that she had never forgotten. She even took the time to clean her rifle and percussion revolver. She refilled her canteens with water from the brook and laced Frida with her pack and supplies. Finally, topping her head with her hat, strapping her rifle to her back and revolver at her hip, she turned to Frida.

“Are you ready for this?” She asked. The horse stayed silent, looking at Maria with her shiny black eyes. “Yeah, me either.” Maria mounted the mare and gently kicked her spurs to set her on course. They took off in a spry gallop, running south, straight for the snow capped mountains that surrounded Salt Lake City.

Thomas sat with his breath resting on his lips as he starred out the window of the study. It was so... The air was dryer here, he could taste the heat in a way he'd never experienced before. It almost reminded him of home, however this was a dry heat not a humid one. It did not have the same thickness to it as it did back home, and the sun. Oh the sun. It leveled itself in the sky, the harsh light glowering down on... those mountains. From this distance they looked as purple as the songs claimed them, even as he knew that they were not solid rock and that his eyes did not deceive him. They existed, ever looming, reminding him even when the heat tried to lull him away. This was not home.

A hand landed on his shoulder, nearly startling him. The glass in his hand shook a little as he looked over at the woman who leaned over his shoulder to look out through the window. Her hair was done up, with a few loose black curls falling aside. She wore a white shirt, daring considering where they were, not that she cared. She had money and it was clear that she wanted to flaunt it from the way that she had worn a string of pearls.

"Grace." Thomas tried not to focus on the smile that she wore on her lips as she looked out. Grace Love had never been and would never be, his friend.

"Tommy, distracted are you?" She took her hand off his shoulder moving to the seat adjacent to his own, sitting down, her wine glass steady without movement. She crossed her ankles and leaned back.

"Where is John?"

"At home. He has far busier things to do than to come to a little party I was invited to, such as this one. Ages of records to go through and check." Grace's smile was liquid fire, testing a person and daring them to pry further than she permitted them. Thomas knew better than to ask more, when she smiled like that. Grace Love was a good thirty years younger than her husband, filled with an unbridled passion that would never tie her down. Thomas had known her for many years now, and he still could never consider them friends. She'd sell him out at the blink of an eye if she believed he were doing anything "unsavory."

Thomas had met Grace Love and John Love through a work party. The old man was a law man, a graduate of West Point with years of military service, who liked to boast about his murders as if the people he killed weren't worthy of being called people. A northern man who agreed with the south that some humans were lesser. Thomas had never liked him, never gotten along with him, and now was stuck with the man in a world that was far from the one he knew, having to act civil. Grace was often chastised for being too manly, for daring to speak up and to aim for a job, to get a degree. If women could be lawyers, Grace would have already held the title. Grace knew the law, like the back of her hand, could entice a person like she cared, and determine all the truths that were better left hidden, with a few words.

Thomas was certain Grace was the reason he had been discovered, and thus he hated her. She also was directly tasked by her husband to watch Thomas for any dubious behavior, thus Thomas hated her twice.

Thomas watched as her eyes turned to the room, knowing she'd never get a thing out of him. "Charming gathering."

"Mr. Thames." Thomas followed her eyes. "The one in the blue shirt." The man had a long beard, unkempt, and wild eyes. His skin was chapped from being out in the hot son, and he had clearly aged many a year because of it.

"Can you call that blue?" Grace joked.

"He's a bounty hunter, five names under his belt."

"Anyone we know?"

"The one with the tan shirt talking to him is Mr. Ides." Thomas looked to the white man next to him, who was dressed better, but he too had grown up out here. He had only a mustache, trimmed and cared for more than the lives he had taken. "He was in the military for ten years, killed many --" Thomas bit his tongue shaking his head. "He is an excellent shot and tracker. He has a wife and two daughters while Mr. Thames has a son. They are in the prospect of marring their children together. They've known each other many years, but I was not able to determine if Mr. Thames ever had military service."

One by one Thomas introduced Grace to the seven men in the room and the two other women. The large man who was a sheriff of a town a bit south. The black man who was a cowboy and ranger, excellent shot. The nervous man, Mr. Conely, with a twitch and lose lips, who was both a historian and biologist, Thomas liked him best. There was the survivalist who made it his job to survive the worst conditions imaginable. Including Thomas, Mr. Thames, and Mr. Ides, the seven of them had a range of talents, none that Thomas could claim were similar. Excluding Grace there were two other women. Just like Grace, the two of them were invited, not their husbands. The first woman was a strict Christian, not that Thomas could find anything special about her, other than the fact that she could list off theology like the back of her hand. He had wanted to push her further but each time he brought up anything remotely pagan, she would ask him if he worshiped the devil.

The last woman was quiet, meek, she and Mr. Conely got along the best. From what Thomas had understood, by talking to her, was that she was taught in the sciences, specifically biology and the mind. She was taught in advanced science like a doctor would be, but for the life of him, Thomas could not find out why. She was a widow, and so he had to suspect it was her family or husband who had taught her, but her accent was not one from back east. She claimed that she had lived out west her whole life, and without having the time to press more, Thomas had not been able to learn more.

Grace hummed as he told her what he had learned, sipping her wine. As the glass was refilled by the wait staff, Thomas bit the bullet and asked her, "What else did I miss?"

"You aren't a good spy, asking such questions."

"I'm not a spy. I'm a linguist."

"You missed a bit, but it matters naught. You learned what was important." Grace and John would have investigated exactly who would be attending and their entire pasts before allowing her to attend, thus Thomas knew that she knew far more than he did. He had only went out of his way to learn anything because of her warnings. He had made the mistake of not being diligent only once, before he had forced himself to use his socializing skills. That one mistake had cost them months in hunting corruption, and his near expulsion from his job. Thomas knew better now than to assume his job was as a simple linguist. Grace and John had brought him with them because his skills, not the language ones, could help them just enough and that was all that mattered to them. As long as his life, and Lewis' for that matter, were in their hands, he had to be on his toes. Grace moved her shoulder against the arm rest, smiling turning kind rather than cruel. "Her father and husband made her a doctor. The question now becomes, why us?"

There was one other person, outside of Governor Young, who was missing, based on the number of plates Thomas had seen in the dinning room. However, if the person was similar to those who had already arrived, then Thomas had an idea. Sipping on his drink Thomas decided the best way to answer her. "I suppose, Governor Young is in need of our assistance and expertise."

Last edited:
Salt Lake busseled in the early evening. It was busier than Maria had expected, with a good number of wagons congesting the roads, traders and merchants loading and unloading their goods. Businessmen and women stood outside their stores, watching the traffic as they awaited their next customers.

Maria liked the city. It was always a nice change in pace to the stillness of the prairies and deserts. Her inquisitive mind always liked seeing the different types of people who crowded streets: those who had traveled from afar, knew of some remedy or technique she could add to her arsenal, or who, occasionally, was a totally unique person whom she had never met before.

She had made a number of friends in cities all over the west that way. Those whose personalities impressed her with their authenticity, and whose brave enough to see past her reputation.

Though she had been to Salt Lake before, she had to stop for directions four times to find the corner of the city where her meeting was to take place. The first time, the man spat at her, calling her a vulgar name attributed to her heritage. The second sent her in the opposite direction, which she chose to believe was an honest mistake. The third pretended not to hear her, even after making eye contact. And the fourth finally lent her good advice, though the encounters put her drastically behind schedule.

Her destination was a government building that apparently doubled as a Consulate and a Courthouse. Its architecture was quite impressive for being so young a city, and looked to take pride in its proceedings. Luckily, it was situated next to a fabulously equipped Inn that offered to take and tend Frida for a modest price while she was away.

She ascended the steps of the building tipping her hat to hang around her back. Quickly using her bandana to wipe away any obvious sweat and dust from her face, she entered the building with her letter of invitation in her hand. The doorman greeted her, giving her instructions on where to proceed, though she did not miss the concerned once over he gave her.

She followed his instructions through the halls and up a stairwell until she heard voices coming from a study where she was supposed to attend. She walked through the doorway to find a room full of better dressed, obviously well bred people and for a awkward second she thought she had wandered into the wrong room.

“Welcome!” cried a strout man with a wiry beard and a twinkle in his eye. He stretched out his hand to her. “I was beginning to worry you were not coming.” She took his hand and shook it firmly.

“Governor Young?”

“No, Miss, his humble secretary, Lionel Dekard. I’m pleased you could come.”

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Dekard turned to the room, raising his voice “the last member of today’s party, Miss Maria Monserat De la Castillo.” She was surprised at the polite formality, even getting the Spanish pronunciation of her name right. She stood a little straighter and nodded to the group, slightly annoyed she had caught off guard.

As she looked around she took note of some of the faces as her name was announced. One of the women couldn’t conceal a gasp in recognition of her name, with what might have been admiration or fear. The burlier of the two men in the corner looked her up and down with scrutinous eyes. There was a couple by the window who had risen as she entered the room. Their expressions were not so easy to make out, though it mattered little to her what they thought.

“Now that we are all assembled,” Dekard continued, "perhaps we can adjourn to the dining room for our meal?"

Dekard led the way out of the room and down the hall to a formal room with a long table, decorated with gold laced plates, and real silverware, complete with crystal goblets each holding a single cube of melting ice.

Dekard instructed them to sit anywhere they pleased, and Maria found herself squarely in the middle of the table uncomfortably conscious of how bad she likely smelled. Perhaps if the governor’s letter of invitation had been more specific about the nature of the meeting, she might have better prepared. She loathed not being prepared. Still, the room was comfortably cool as the sun sank lower in the sky and the evening winds drifted through the open windows.

She sat directly across from the young man and woman who had been by the window of the study. The bewitching woman with dark hair had a very direct gaze, almost like she was trying to read Maria’s thoughts. Maria did not back down, and offered an amiable smile.

“I am Maria Castillo.” she dipped her head in greeting, “And you are?”

“I know, Dekard just announced you to us.” She flashed a brilliant smile that somehow felt icy. “I believe your reputation precedes you.” Her eyebrow lifted, conveniently avoiding her question.

“I’m afraid you have me at a disadvantage there. I was unaware my meeting with Governor Young would be so… populated.” Maria looked around, her eyes landing on the stoic stranger beside the black haired beauty.

“Greetings, friends.” said a strong voice as a tall man entered the room. The company stood for his arrival, his posture and commanding presence a dead give away to his identity.

He situated himself at the head of the table which the guests had been astute enough not to take. He looked up and down the sides of the table with proud and excited eyes.

“I am Governor Brigham Young. I am honored that each of you responded to my invitation. This is a momentous occasion, and in due course I will explain the reason for this conference, but first, allow me to start our dinner.”

Once the Governor sat, the rest of the guests followed in his example, and the staff brought out the first course of chilled black bean soup.

Last edited:
The dinner room was far from silent, the soft chatter of those who had already been acquainted lifted through the air. Slight comments that Thomas could care less about, he knew that Grace would record. Thomas eyes darted around the table to each person, before resting on the girl before him for but a second. Castillo was a Spanish name. Her skin tone indicated an origin far from the likes of those that he had grown up around. She had not been informed about the delicate nature of the evening. Thomas was already aware that the invitations were different for each person. His had said that the Governor wished to discuss a language. Grace's had said a dinner party. A few of the others had mentioned a proposition. What ever this Maria's invitation said, did not adequately prepare her for the night.

Thomas could not help but feel for the girl.

At his side he felt the sharp pain of Grace's elbow jabbing into him. When they had left the study, Grace had whispered nonsense to him about what little she knew about the supposed bounty hunter before them. More than anything Grace had made it clear that she knew little about Maria. Enough to know her name, nothing more than that. Grace had asked him -- in not so many words demanded him -- to get Maria to open up. As the second course arrived, Thomas found himself perturbed. Thomas was not expecting a large multi-course meal, as they were out in the frontier and such spending was negligent. However Thomas could tell Governor Young intended to have more than two. Eyes to the table setting, Thomas predicted that there would be four: soup, main course, the accompaniment, and then the desert.

Thomas eyes drifted to the staff who were trained, but not perfected. This was an act, a power move to make those in the dinner believe that the man before them was more cultured than they were. He was aiming to show that he was richer than they were. Thomas had sat through eight and ten course meals before, and couldn't help but find such an act as this stifling. Thoughts to himself he looked back to the woman before him, letting the smile rest on his lips as the roasted veal was set before them.

"Miss Maria." He watched as her hand twitched at the sound of her name, her eyes raising to meet his. Was she irritated that he had called her out, despite the silence around her? He was trying to help her, as such an act only made her stand out more than she probably knew. "I hear you have lived in these plains your whole life, please tell. How do you manage the heat?"

If she were going to answer, she was cut short by Grace's laugh who formally lightly shoved Thomas above the table. "Thomas, my dear. How rude of you. You've forgotten your manners."

Thomas laughed awkwardly, knowing that the tone would come across properly. His hands shook a little as he placed down the improper utensils, making his way to the proper set, as if he knew little about how this meal was designed. "My apologize, Miss Maria. I am Thomas Blake. Grace, I believe, you are already acquainted with?" Thomas knew full well that Grace had never given Maria her name, and as a bit of fun he gave it to Maria to use. "So, do tell, how does one overcome the heat, Miss Maria?"

"Shade and a good fan would do best for a frail one such as yourself." Once more a person interrupted their conversation. Thomas' mood prickled at the words that came from one Mr. Ides who laughed at the mockery that he made of Thomas. The comments reminded Thomas of his aunt longing on her chair in the sweltering heat demanding for ice as Thomas recited lines.

Wide smile he directed his gaze to Mr. Ides. "Oh? I suppose I could get used to that." Hand to his neck, he loosened his tie by just a little. "Even sitting here is sweltering. I must get myself a good fan." Mr. Ides did not hide his disgruntled irritation well. The man had intended to shame Thomas and instead was met by unabashed shamelessness. With a sigh to himself, he let himself fall into distress. "I may never get used to it out here."

Knife to the meat, Thomas thought to himself. How now would he try to get information out of Maria? His in with her had been cut off thanks to the man who could not read the mood. He had little more to go on other than the idea that she might speak Spanish, and even that was a difficult subject to broach.

"I hear you are a polyglot Mr. Blake." The comment came from Mrs. Whitmore, widow and doctor, who sat next to Mr. Conely. Mr. Conely was the only one that Thomas had spoken to about languages, and thus the man must have told the widow doctor. Was the woman helping him? If she was, he could not let the moment go to waste. "That must be difficult, speaking so many languages. How does one keep them all straight?"

He wanted to retort the way he used to, using some clever phrase of a language that those in the room may know. Twisting it to them to prove that it was no issue for him, however that would do him no good here. What served as entertainment in the higher circles would be seen as ridicule here. "No problem at all Mrs. Whitmore." His accent slipped at the use of misses, long and languid. He righted himself from the mistake before sitting up straighter, brimming with energy, as if he were willing to show off. "Once one understands the principals and the grammar of the language, things fall into place easily."

"Oh Thomas." Grace laughed. "You make it sound so easy." She waved to the woman with a slight flick of her wrist, intimidating Mrs. Whitmore with a glance. "Thomas has a natural gift for languages. Even if he wished to teach you his secrets, they would not work." She smiled up at him.

Thomas almost asked her why, why she had gotten into the conversation that he was about to spin back to her direct interest. However from the looks of it, Grace was trying to keep his abilities a secret, which meant that she believed as he had said, that Governor Young had gathered them for a purpose. She was trying to keep his abilities masked before she knew what was required.

"Ten languages, am I wrong?" Governor Young did not seem to agree, and outright claimed a number. Thomas did not bother to correct the man as he smiled up at him. Then he returned his attention to his meal, not bothering to check the reactions of the others who had heard the number. "It is such a rare talent." The way that Governor Young said talent told Thomas that he was in fact called to

"Does anyone else know any languages?" Thomas asked after eating for a moment, scanning the table. Only a few knew one other, if only in passing and not fluently. When his eyes landed on Maria, he hoped that she would take the opportunity he had given her. He let his smile sink into his expression, letting the flirtation rise in his eyes, with the interest and intrigue that he had towards her. He carried his tone specifically knowing that it would be heard by all those around him and not caring. "How about you Miss Maria?"

Last edited:
Maria hadn’t noticed how hungry she was until tasting the smooth black beans. She thought in her head how the taste might have improved further yet with a dollop of clotted cream, and a few scoops of sun roasted chips. The meal was so delectable, she had a hard time keeping her thoughts away from little culinary innovations she might make to change the presentation or boost the flavor profile. Cooking was a hobby of hers, and gave her great joy as she remembered the times preparing meals with Isadora after her mother had left. It had given her a sense of peace.

She pulled her thoughts out of the food to try to focus on the stuffy conversations happening around her, hoping she might learn something useful. No one bothered to pay her much attention, not that she minded. She could be a proper lady when necessary, but at the present moment, she had been duped into a situation designed to make her look foolish, so she did not feel the need to extend courtesy. The sooner the dinner was over, the faster she could learn why she was her, the quicker she could leave and get her task accomplished.

“Miss Maria” She was called out of her thoughts. She lifted her black eyes to settle on her inquirer across the table. He politely asked how she managed the heat while on the plains. There was a small twinge of respect for the man for delicately trying to include her in the discourse, as she perceived her silence had dragged on awkwardly long enough. She hardly had time to consider his question before the black haired lady to his right interjected.

Maria felt a prick of satisfaction as the man Thomas Blake gave away the lady’s name. She did not like this Grace woman, and her first impressions were rarely wrong.

The smiling suppressing continued as everyone else felt the responsibility to answer her question for her. Had it been a more important question, she might have tried harder to make her voice heard, but as it was, she enjoyed watching the dinner guests fight for the most prominent position in the conversation. She was fond of observing.

Her ears itched as a meek woman asked of Mr. Blake if he was a polyglot. She was unfamiliar with the word. Having spoken English for many years, she was quite adept, but not fluent. ‘Poly’ meant many, she knew that. But many of what? "That must be difficult, speaking so many languages. How does one keep them all straight?" She finished.

She could not help but feel impressed when the Governor assigned a number to the polyglot, giving him credit for speaking ten languages. She often struggled with the three she knew, even her native tongue of Sioux. She wondered if this Mr. Blake knew any Sioux, though the thought surprisingly saddened her. She would like to have something over this polyglot, and felt very protective over the rare and beautiful language of her birthplace.

"Does anyone else know any languages?" He asked, gauging the reactions of the guests, before finally settling back to his original recipient. "How about you Miss Maria?"

Maria let the question hang in the air while contemplating her response. “You are very gracious to pretend not to notice my accent, Sir. But I think you have already guessed the answer to your own question.”

“Nunca quisiera asumir, Señorita.” Blake took a cool sip of his wine, never taking his eyes off her. A shiver crawled under her skin as she felt the delight of hearing a language she knew by heart.

“Gracias, Señor. Se agradece su consideración.” She glanced at a few of the others who were staring at them with entertained eyes. “¿Cuánto tiempo crees que tendremos que hablar de esta manera antes de que los enojemos?”

“Ahh, no largo. De hecho diría que en tres, dos, uno…”

“Thomas, don’t you find it a bit rude to speak words the rest of us cannot understand?” Grace cut in, all in good humor. Maria lifted her wine and brushed the goblet against her smirking lips before taking a modest sip. Simple as the conversation may have been, she felt slightly more at home. She liked this Blake character. He had mischief in his eyes, whatever his polite manners may have suggested.

The conversation turned to more languages, which developed into world travels, finally morphing into who knew the most impressive acquaintances. Maria slid seamlessly back into silence. Soon, the dessert course was brought out, a quaint serving of flan and fresh raspberries. Maria consumed it in small bites, even closing her eyes at one point to savor the flavors. She did not get many luxuries like this while in the desert, and she was not about to take them for granted.

“Friends.” Governor Young called out, hushing the gathering. “If you have all had your fill, please adjourn back to the study with me, where I will make my presentation, and finally answer any and all of your questions.”

The group retreated back to the little room, Maria suddenly aware of how impatient she had gotten with all the delays and distractions. Everyone found a spot in the study, some of the wait staff offering around a cigar to each of the gentlemen present.

Governor Young made his way to an easel which had been set up in the front of the room. It held a painting which depicted a conquistador bowing before what looked like an Inca high priest, a short scepter in this hand, at the head of which sprouted an eagle, wings outstretched, with its chest bearing a brilliant sapphire.

Governor Young very intentionally waited for the staff to exit the room, patiently looking around at his guests who settled into their places expectantly. Maria had placed herself at the back of the room, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. To her surprise, Thomas Blake did not rejoin Grace at their previous place in the chairs by the window, but casually came to stand by her, keeping his attention on the governor.

“Friends.” Governor Young addressed them. “This,” he gestured grandly to the painting “is why you are here.” He looked at them with a proud but genuine smile. “I am seeking a treasure, and I am employing each of you to find it for me.

“When this land was very first settled, the ancient tribes of Mexico were able to unlock a secret power. The power of the stars, they called it. The high priests of the Inca Indians would participate in ceremonies in which through the gate to heaven” Young pointed at the sapphire embedded in the eagle’s breast “they were able to harness the power of the stars, and imbue themselves with properties… not of this world. The legend goes that the high priests were given fantastic abilities, some might even call magical.” Governor Young let his words resonate with his audience, his presentation crossing somewhere between performance and lecture.

“The High Priest, Pachacutec” He gestured to the painting again, pointing at the priest who held the scepter, “was said to be the most blessed of all the priests, gaining not one, or even four special abilities, which would have been rare among the priests. But Pachacutec was given twelve powers which he used to lead his people to prosperity and victory. Now the histories have lost what exactly those abilities were, ranging from flight, to snake charming, to the ability to heal any wound. But to possess so many gifts made him a demi-god among his people, and he was treated with the highest respect.

“Things… got a little more complicated when Pachacutec started a love affair with Queen Ayara. It was not long before the king heard rumors of their deception, and his rage consumed him. King Taruca was cunning though. He knew to go up against such an opponent would be foolish. So, he secretly enlisted the help of a sect of priests who believed Pachacutec’s power had grown too great.

“The sect of seven priests, known as the Tzopilotl, betrayed Pachacutec, and used their own abilities to overpower him and steal the scepter. With Pachacutec subdued, they gave the scepter to their king, who in turn used it to grant himself the power of the stars. With his new found magic, he drew the life breath slowly, agonizingly from Pachacutec’s lips and smote down his enemy.

“The king was so drunk with power that he began to terrorize his dominion. Pulling the life force out of anyone who challenged him, keeping his wife on the brink of death to torture her for her infidelity. The Tzopilotl saw the mistake they had betraying their high priest, and worked together to overthrow yet another ruler. Six of the seven Tzopilotl sacrificed their lives to overthrow the king. One succeeded in his mission, and departed from Tenochtitlan with the scepter, disappearing into the night, never to be seen again.

“With the source of his power gone, the king’s dominance began to dwindle, and soon he was subdued, to be buried by history and legend, until the story became little more than myth.”

Governor Young stopped at this point, as if his story had concluded, and the silence dragged on.

“Is that it?” The one called Ides guffawed. “You gathered us here to tell us a bedtime story? This answers none of our questions, Young!”

“Ah, but you see, Mr. Ides, the story does not end there. You see, I have gathered you all here, because each of you has an impressive skill. Many of you know, I am not just a student of history, but a rampant enthusiast. I want you to find this scepter that has been lost to time, and to the one who is able to bring it to me, I will reward sixty thousand US dollars.”

Maria’s jaw dropped. The man was mad. He wanted them to go chasing after a fairytale, likely willing to bankrupt himself in the process? She had heard just about enough, and was beginning to sorely regret coming all this way.

“You go too far, Brigham.” Mr. Thames interjected. “You have summoned us all here to find a magic wand from Mexico? You’re living in a dream!” Thames stood from his chair, clearly about to leave.

“Why don’t you share that dream with me?” the Governor smiled, giving a nod to Dekard. Dekard came forward, a paper book in his hand, which he then handed to his boss. Young flipped through the pages and turned the magazine around to proudly display a picture of a scepter for sale, valued at $20,000, an exact copy of what the priest of the painting held in his left hand.

“Eight weeks ago, this verified Aztec artifact was to be put up for auction in San Francisco. When I traveled to California to bid, I discovered the auction was not to take place because the item had been already purchased anonymously for twice its starting price. Since then, it has once again disappeared, with no trail to signal its whereabouts. All the information that I could get was that the scepter was picked up by a young Mexican woman of about 15, and that the next day the scepter’s previous owner had been found at his San Francisco mansion, brutally murdered.”

Spanish on the tip of his tongue, Thomas pulled back to drink his wine at the same time that Maria sipped her own. A chuckle on the back of his throat, Thomas smiled to Grace apologizing for speaking in a manner that was unknown to her. Maria, however, was a comrade, and he intended to get to know her better regardless of what Grace wanted.

Thomas had little time to enjoy his meal as he was then asked to demonstrate the other languages that he knew and to speak about them in brief. Luckily the conversation drifted away from him in time, to things he could not care less about. The behavior of these people was like peacocks, trying to impress and outdo each other. Each name of who they knew was of little importance to him. He knew Grace would keep track of each and every one, all Thomas cared for was if he recognized them.

There were a few mentioned that he knew. The son of an oil company that Thomas had talked to at parties. The train builder that Thomas had met in New York on Wall Street. A few others that he had heard the names of, but none of them were particularly that important to Thomas. These people did not talk as if they were more than passing acquaintances. Even if they mentioned him, unless they mentioned his ability, he doubted that any would know who he was.

Even then, Thomas wanted to disappear into the crowd. He could not allow for a slip up with the possibility of anyone learning of his past more than what he wished.

The third course and then the fourth were served. Thomas savored the flavors to himself as he watched both Maria and Grace. Maria was silent, listening. Grace was vocal, listening and guiding, trying to learn all the weaknesses of those around her. The Governor was watching, jubilant and bright, seeming to enjoy the cacophony and discord that had been sown amongst them.

Upon his request, the group left the dining hall and returned to the study. Cigar offered his way, Thomas declined and watched as Grace made her way back to the seats from before. Maria, however, stood against a wall, the best prepared to leave should anything turn sour. Thomas watched as Governor Young set up a display all the while trying to decide if he wanted to sit with Grace or not. Sitting with her would be the expected thing. They had come together, and were assumed to be a united front.

Thomas, unfortunately, had his mission to get to know Maria, and thus he took up a spot next to her without so much of a word. As he approached, Thomas took the time to examine the image that the Governor had revealed. He had little care or understanding of art, outside how to talk about it for parties. It was not much later that the Governor began his tale.

Thomas’ eyes darted to Grace’s who met his. The two of them had assumed that Governor Young was putting together an expedition based on the skills of those in the room, however it turned out to be a treasure hunt. As the Governor continued his tale, Thomas found his mind drifting. The history of the supposed artifact was important, yet Thomas could not focus on what was being said. Magic? Abilities? Neither of them existed, in full. However, Thomas’ time in New Orleans had shaped him to know that such things had a medium of truth and reason. There were unexplained happenings, and even if the stories were not true in full, in part may be. Worse, this man believed they were true. Otherwise why would he have gathered them?

The Governor continued talking about a history and a set of names that Thomas made sure to memorize. If he could get access to records or people, perhaps he could learn more about them. That was, if Grace demanded that they take the job. He hoped that she would do no such thing.

Governor Young was ecstatic, fully caught up in his own excitement that he ignored the room’s general boredom and dissatisfaction. Thomas could see the way the crowd grew restless as the story came to an end and Mr. Ides spoke. Thomas examined each and every person in the room, trying to gauge if they understood, when Governor Young named his price and Thomas was focused once more on the Governor.

Sixty thousand dollars?

No wonder the man had used the meal. He was not only trying to get them to feel his wealth but to believe that he could follow up with this promise. Thomas looked to Grace who was glaring at Governor Young, irate that he would claim such a thing. Thomas glanced at Maria who seemed shocked herself. The room exploded in protest. No one believed that this man could follow through, even Thomas himself did not believe it.

Detail by detail Governor Young introduced them to the facts that were true. An auction. A murder. A disappearance. It existed and the governor wanted it. He had called them there and it was up to them to decide what to do next.

“Sixty thousand dollars split evenly?” Grace asked without moment's notice. She and Thomas had already been prepared for such an event.

“For those who find it and deliver it, yes. It will be evenly split.” Governor Young smiled at her. He then addressed the room once more. “Please discuss amongst yourselves. I do hope that you will assist me on this proposition.”

There was silence in the room for a minute before a barrage of questions were asked from those in the room.

“¿Quiere que luchemos por ello?” Maria whispered under her breath. Thomas leaned back a bit, lowering his head so that his voice could be concealed.

“Si es magia real. Cuanta menos gente lo sepa, mejor.” Thomas was certain that Governor Young even expected them to kill for it. He had brought bounty hunters and those with gun experience. Additionally he had requested that there were those in the room whose assistance would be useful in a fight and journey. Thomas was a linguist. There was a doctor and a botanist. The three of them might not be worth much in a fight, but if the item was missing and they had to find it… “Deberíamos formar un equipo de seis personas.”

"¿Nosotros? No recuerdo haber hecho un equipo con usted, Sr. Blake.”

He smiled at her and saw how she was apprehensive but seemed to be thinking something remotely similar. “That is, if you will have me, of course.” He switched to English for the sentence feeling it would have more weight to it, than Spanish. He was an outsider here as she was, and in a way he wanted to portray that. He was not sure what she thought, yet he went on. “La Sra. Whitmore y el Sr. Conely son imprescindibles. Grace no me deja perder de vista, lo que deja a uno más. ¿Con quién de estos hombres estás dispuesto a arriesgarte como otro luchador?” He doubted she’d pick the fashion designer, although Thomas was perplexed why Governor young would assume disguises would be necessary. Grace would be able to provide better support with her connections and knowledge than a fashion designer. “Diez mil dólares es mucho dinero.”

“¿Por qué yo?”

Thomas was at a loss. He was not sure why he had picked her. Perhaps it was that he had not cared for the others in the room when he had spoken to them. Perhaps it was because she was clearly an outsider that Governor Young did not care to inform. Perhaps it was because she spoke Spanish, and he hadn’t been able to speak to another person in something other than English for too long. Either way, he did not want to be her enemy in a game where there was a chance people could die. “Supongo que no me necesitas para ganar. Sin embargo, si cree que podría usar mi ayuda, me temo que el premio se dividirá al menos en cinco partes. Seis es más fácil de dividir.” Grace would never leave a doctor behind on such an endeavor.

Thomas noticed how Grace crossed the room towards him, Mrs. Whitmore in tow. “Thomas, my dear. We must speak with my husband at once regarding these matters.” She declared loud enough that others would notice.

“Si acepta unirse a nosotros, entonces con su socio elegido, reúnase con nosotros esta noche.” He then quickly gave her the address of the house in which they were staying before he smiled at Grace, offering his arm out to her.

“If you decide to join, please let me know about your consideration. I have contracts to be signed to guarantee your payment.” The Governor called out to all of them. They would have to return to this manor, one way or another.

As the two stepped out, Grace spoke to Thomas and Mrs. Whitmore as Mr. Conely trailed behind. Grace's irritation was hidden behind her facade of smiles, but Thomas knew she would not let these two be left behind. Especially when she had complete confidence in her own skill set.

“It will be an equal split for the money Grace.” Thomas looked at her.

“Split three ways, yes.” Grace’s smile chilled him. “However, last I checked neither you nor my husband could accept outside work or jobs.” The words hit him in the chest. He could get money from his family, as that was family matters, however he would not be able to accept the money even if he found the artifact as it could be considered a bribe. Even if it were legitimate and there was a contract, people would claim it a bribe, because they wanted something on him. At most he could do the job, but he could accept no money. Suddenly, he no longer wanted to take the job, although he knew it would not be possible.

Upon arriving back at the house, Grace instructed her two recruits on when they would meet next and to get their things. She then went to report to her husband as Thomas was left alone packing, knowing that he would have to go with her. It was some time later, when he heard a knock at his door.

“Mr. Love has requested your presence in his study.” Thomas heard the steward call. Anxious, Thomas made his way to the room.

“My wife tells me that you have accepted a job for Governor Young.” Mr. Love huffed out his cigar.

“We have.” Thomas refrained from glaring.

“The artifact must not get back to his hands.” Mr. Love told him, eyes narrow and voice low. “Regardless of the nonsense rumors and history, such an artifact can not be given freely. Governor Young may use it to claim gifts that only God himself may have, and we can not allow for a new messiah. Destroy it when you find it, but it can not end up in his hands.”

“Of course not, my love.” Grace stroked the man’s arm. “Thomas and I will be away for a bit. We will return and nothing will be lost.” They didn’t need the money.

Thomas’ stomach twisted at the thought of lying to the others, however one look from Mr. Love reminded Thomas of those he had to protect. A girl he had only met that day meant little when freedom was on the line. “Understood.”

Last edited:
The night was pleasantly cool when Maria left the Consulate. She stopped on the steps leading up to the building, considering Thomas’ proposition. She wondered at why he seemed so guarded around Grace. It was like he could not make a move without her say so. They were not married, as Grace had brought up her husband during the dinner conversation at least a dozen times. It seemed unlikely that they were sleeping together, given Thomas’ disagreeable disposition toward her, though it still could have been possible. But she had some sort of hold over Mr. Blake. It was not altogether settling.

A cigarette was offered to her as she stood thinking on the stairs.

“Mr. Washington.” Maria mused, looking at the cigarette’s owner. Alaric Washington smiled back at her. The only other person of color in the meeting they had just left, he had not said one word to her all through the dinner or the presentation of Governor Young. She felt a strange kinship to him though. They were of the same background and profession. They had a similar set of skills, and had faced many of the same challenges, despite him being a good ten years her senior.

She did not normally smoke, but she took the offering, letting him light it before lifting it to her lips for a slow drag.

“What do you think of this business, Señorita?” He asked in his twangy Texan accent, lighting his own cigarette.

“I think the whole thing is a farce. Governor wants us to go searching after a fairytale.” Alaric nodded, letting out a long puff of smoke in the moonlight.

“You don’t think it exists?” He kicked at some dirt on the stairs.

“I’m sure the sceptre exists, but I think the Governor will be greatly disappointed when he gets it.”

“You’re that confident in your skills?” Alaric chuckled.

Maria shrugged, lifting her cigarette to her lips.

“I saw you talking with that Blake fella. He make you an offer?” Maria looked at him coily without answering. Alaric nodded in understanding.

“Well, I may not have the tracking skills you do, but I am a fair shot, and I’d watch your back should this venture turn south. I got me a job driving cattle to Oregon next March. I think you and I could get this done before then, whether you decide to join Blake’s team, or not. I got me a girl back home I’d like to make an offer to. But I can’t buy a house until my next drive, and she won’t wait forever. If I can win part of the governor’s reward… well. You’d make me a very happy man if you’d agree to help me.”

Maria was liking Alaric Washington more by the minute. She trusted him more thus far than she trusted Thomas. There was something about Thomas. Rude and wild, like the mountains of Montana. Stately and poised, but untamed in reality, and that unsettled her. She could do with someone watching her back.

“Where are you staying?” She asked, taking one more inhale of her vice.

He pointed down the street with his cigarette, “Sinead’s Inn and Tavern. Give her my name, she’ll point you toward me.”

Maria nodded, stamping out the cigarette. “I will contact you tomorrow by noon. If you haven’t heard from me, it would be best to go your own way.”

Alaric pinched the tip of his hat, before turning to walk down the street toward his lodgings. Maria took in a deep breath, descending the last few steps onto the dirt road before her. She walked the brief distance to the inn where she had left Frida.

She went to the stables to check on her friend, finding her grazing happily in a corner stall.

“How are you?” She smiled at her, patting her neck. “I think we’re headed into a new adventure. There are a number of people who want to team up with us. How do you feel about a few companions?” Frida looked at her with her glinting eyes, chewing soundlessly. “Don’t worry, I won’t let them slow you down. But there’s something odd about this case. We may be walking into danger.” The horse sighed ever so slightly. “I know. But nothing we haven’t faced before. And besides, if we’re able to win this one, it will set us up for a long time. Even if we do have to split it six ways.” The last part was more to herself than the horse, who had evidently stopped listening anyway. “Sleep well, quidera.”

She pat her neck once more and turned to leave.

“Miss.” a young voice called out to her just a few steps out of the stable. A youth approached her, not much more than 14, and picked up her saddle which had been placed outside Frida’s stall. “I don’t know if you noticed, but your saddle is in pretty bad shape.”

Maria’s brow knit, taking a closer look at where he pointed. “The bolt from the buck rolls has cut through the under leather. It has likely been causing your horse some mighty discomfort. The buckle on the stirrups are about to cut through the hole which will compromise your foot placement. And the swell is losing its grip because the front skirt is wearing pretty thin. Where did you get this thing?” He snickered.

“It was my father’s.” Maria said solemnly.

The lad snapped back into professionalism. “Off hand, you’d be better off just buying a whole new saddle. This one’s pretty worn, and in all honesty, I wouldn’t feel comfortable riding in it myself. There’s Mr. Lower’s shop not four streets from here. He’d be open first thing in the morning if you’d be interested, but a good saddle won’t come cheap.”

Maria looked to Frida, feeling disgusted with herself for not noticing the saddle’s wear. “Thank you. I will look into it.” The boy nodded and went back to his work.

Maria made her way up to the modest room she had rented, and collapsed on the quilt strung over the bed. She stared at the dark ceiling for awhile, contemplating her future. She had not wanted to team up with anyone on this venture. She had enough skills on her own that she believed she might have found the sceptre first and been able to claim the entire reward for herself, sending some of it home to Isadora and her estate. But, two enticing offers were hard to refuse for the sake of her vanity and greed.

She reached down to pull her coin purse out. Annoyingly light.

With the purchase of a new saddle, what remained of her funds would be all but depleted, and she would have little to get her going if she started out alone. She thought of Thomas and Grace. They obviously came from a wealthier background, and would likely have more than enough to fund their group wherever their travels might take them.

She sat up, looking at herself in the dimly lit looking glass positioned across the room. She appeared haggard and tired yet still lovely. Her beauty irritated her sometimes. It didn’t seem right to possess such a quality in her line of work. Even if it had gotten her out of a tight spot or two…

Walking across the room to take a closer look, she stared into her eyes, thinking what lay beneath the pretty surface. What sort of metal was she made of? Even after all her conquests, she still bore the heaviness of feeling unworthy. Her father’s voice in her head correcting her form. Giving her wisdom on how to further improve. Kindly pointing out her mistakes. He would not have advised her to take on companions on this quest. ‘A woman like you can trust no one but herself.’ He would have said. ‘Steal the money you need and get on with it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.’

Anger and disgust bubbled in her chest, and she was suddenly sure of her decision.

Maria snatched up her coin purse and stormed out of the room. Down to the stables she mounted Frida without her saddle, lightly tugging her mane to direct her. They made their way down the quiet dirt roads, the night bringing a silence to the city. She rode faster, somehow certain of her way, until she came to the outskirts of the city where a large house stood.

A few candles still lit some of the rooms, giving her confidence in approaching the door and knocking loudly. She waited and knocked a few more times before a manservant in a nightcap answered the door with a candle.

“Good evening.” She panted, “I need to speak with Señor Thomas.”

“This is highly unusual, young lady.” The servant said with contempt.

“Well if you will not fetch him, convey a message for me.” She rolled her eyes.

“Miss Castillo?” She heard a voice inside. It was Grace, her arm tangled around another man’s who looked old enough to be her father. “Darling, this is Miss Maria Castillo. Another interested member of Governor Young’s venture.” Grace waved away the servant to let Maria pass into the dark entryway.

“Sir, Ma’am.” Maria came in, nodding to them. “I only came to tell you and Mr. Blake that I would like to accept the offer to be a member of your team, and that I have asked Alaric Washington to be my second.”

Grace’s false smile was so fixed on her face she might have been a beautiful painting. “I was unaware Mr. Blake had extended such an invitation. And for two!” She added with a scornful chuckle, looking at her husband. “We will have to discuss this arrangement with Mr. Blake in the morning, won’t we darling?”

“No need.” Said Blake, stepping out of the shadows, already in his night clothes. “I’m here now. Let’s discuss.”

Last edited:
Thomas stood in the hall of the house starring at Maria who seemed taken back by his chosen attire. He had long given up on the idea that she would arrive. Offering her a place in a hypothetical team had been a whim. He had fully expected her to reject him. After all, they had met no less than a few hours ago. The reward was far greater on her own than what he could offer her, and the danger she'd face would be less, on her own -- of that he had no question. Yet, she had arrived at the house at the night as he had requested. A bit later than he had anticipated, but her arrival told him that she was ready to commit to whatever sham he came up then.

"Alaric Washington?" Thomas stepped forward. "The cowboy?"

"Yes." Maria nodded.

Thomas had to admit that he was, perhaps, the best choice. Not only was he the only other minority in the group, but the man had a similar skill set to Maria, from what Thomas knew. The issue, however, was not convincing Maria; she had already made her choice. Thomas nodded with a bright smile. "Excellent choice, exactly the one I would have made myself."

"Alaric Washington?" Grace's face crumpled in distaste. Thomas knew that Grace had more than one issue with Maria's presence on the hypothetical team, and now she showed clear disdain for Alaric.

"Thomas, explain." John Love spoke to Thomas with a hint of confusion and irritation.

"Come in, come in." Thomas ignored the both of them, waving for the servants to let her in. There was a moment of silence, before they stepped aside and let the dark skinned woman into the house as a guest. Thomas watched how Maria noted the contempt in the eyes of the servants who starred at her. Instead of backing away, Thomas hurried over to her, taking her hand and kissing it, steadying himself. The act was a visible alliance, the sort that Thomas knew were better stated with actions than words. When he looked up to Maria's eyes, he let the smile on his face reassure her that at least he was her ally. Her expression crumpled in frustration as if she had only fully understood what she had signed up for, then. Thomas turned back to John and Grace. "John, this is Maria Castillo. Bounty hunter, and excellent shot. She has recruited Alaric Washington, another excellent shot. I believed it in our best interest, for the campaign, to request the assistance of those who knew this land and had experience defending themselves."

Thomas watched as Grace whispered a few things to John. John's eyebrows furrowed in anger, red rising to his cheeks. "Thomas!"

If Thomas had not known of what Grace would have told John, he would have been caught off guard by the explosion. "Yes."

"This is not another one of those--"

"This has nothing to do with that." Thomas felt the heat bubbling in his own body, anger in response to John's. "This has nothing to do with Lewis or the movement. I didn't pick Alaric. Miss Maria did."

"I will not approve of these--"

Thomas was not in the mood to listen to the man's drivel, stepping forward and speaking to stop John's tirade. "You would rather your wife is off in the wilderness unprotected hunting an artifact that has caused the death of at least one person? Even knowing the other candidates? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't brought out here because I can fight. My only skill is talking." He needed them to remember his connections, as well as his skills with words. He wasn't only good an knowing languages, but using language to get what he wanted. "Grace's additional choices are a doctor and a cowardly man who is better with plants and animals than people."

Grace glared at Thomas. "Miss Castillo, I'm sorry, but we will contact you in the morning after we discuss."

"I would like to stay to know what time we plan on leaving." Maria answered instead. "Preparations must be made."

Thomas turned back to her, meeting her eyes that were clear, if not a bit more irate than before. If she did not know before, she knew then that he had made a choice without Grace. He had no idea why she had decided to continue to stay despite their rejection. Thomas looked back to John. "Yes. They are not like us. However their skill and knowledge is valuable in this endeavor. To go ahead without protection is a death wish."

"We can hire guards." Grace told him.

"You want to hire people to follow us?" Thomas laughed. "And I thought you liked discretion, Grace." The two glared at each other, but he knew that he had her with the word. A large hired guard or a few bodyguards, would stand out regardless of what they did. The flicker in Grace's eyes told Thomas that he had set the proper conditions for her to agree. She was already weighing the options in her mind coming up with possibilities that Thomas could not even fathom.

"No one will know these lands better than us." Maria spoke up from behind, speaking as one would when interviewing for a job. "I will be better protection than any hired guard."

"And." Thomas let his anger simmer down to passiveness once more. "I would rather Miss Maria and Mr. Washington were on our side, rather than our enemies." He said it in the way to imply that they would lose if they did not take the deal. Thomas knew that Grace had no doubt that they'd win if the staff was held by anyone who could be bought. However, Thomas doubted it would be so easy.

"This had better not be one of your abolitionist schemes." John warned him.

"He's already a free man. There is nothing to gain." Thomas disagreed. Grace whispered to John once more before the old man nodded once.

"We will meet at the Governor's office tomorrow at ten, to sign the contract with him and then we will leave promptly after." Grace spoke to Maria through Thomas, before she took her husband's arm to lead him away. "I hope you have a pleasant night Miss Castillo." Thomas knew that Grace was scheming already. No more than six seconds later, Thomas turned to Maria, dismissing the servants in the hall so that they could speak alone.

"Why did you--" Thomas began in english before he stopped himself and switched languages just in case there were other ears. "¿Por qué estuvo de acuerdo?"

Maria tried her best to keep up with the conversation, but there were too many blank spaces in her knowledge to make sense of it all. If she took away anything, it was that she and Alaric were not wanted. Seeing as neither she nor Alaric had much in terms of finances, she had little choice but to insist on their presence, even if it was less than ideal.

And she would prove her worth.

Her anger toward Thomas lessened slightly when John accused him of being an abolitionist. She stayed out of politics, but she did have a disdain for slavery, and the further east she got, the less likely she would be served in a tavern or inn. If Thomas was against such maltreatment, it was at least something they had in common.

Still, she could not help but feel duped for the second time that evening, walking into a situation she had not expected, and she hated few things more than feeling unprepared.

"We will meet at the Governor's office tomorrow at ten, to sign the contract with him and then we will leave promptly after." Grace concluded the conversation. Maria felt relief come over her as the fight for their inclusion was won, but a second wave of gross anticipation as she realized what a muddy situation her poverty had just put her in. Being without funds had forced her into this, where she would now have to put up with Grace and her false smile and condescending eyes for weeks, if not months. Not to mention how Alaric would be treated…

When the room cleared out, she had turned to leave, not wanting to say anything further, but Thomas’ smooth Spanish words halted her exit.

“¿Por qué estuvo de acuerdo?”

“¿Por qué estuve de acuerdo?” Maria repeated the question, looking around the dimly lit entrance way to make sure they were not being listened to. “¿Por qué me preguntaste en primer lugar cuando sabías que ella no me querría!?” She yelled in a whisper, throwing her hand in Grace’s general direction.

Thomas looked as if he didn’t know how to answer the question. The silence between them dragged on, neither of them knowing what to say.

“We will meet you at the Governor’s office in the morning.” She said, switching back to English in the hopes Grace would not overhear and think they were plotting against her. She did not fear Grace, but would rather remain on good terms with her if they were going to be traveling together. She had the feeling that one word from Grace would mean the end of her and Alaric’s involvement in the group.

Maria turned again to leave, getting stopped once more by those smooth words. “Lo siento. Pero al diablo con los prejuicios. Tú y Alaric ganaréis esta competición por nosotros. Ella simplemente no lo sabe todavía.”

Maria took in the words, secretly feeling validated by Thomas’ confidence.

“You can also explain to Grace that I don’t go anywhere without my horse. Any plans we make will accommodate her, it will be included in our contract.” she said without turning around to look at him.

“Si.” Thomas said simply. “Buenas noches.”

“Thomas, one more thing.” Maria stopped him, turning on her heel and looking him square in the eye. “No me llaman Bloody Mary por nada. No seré traicionado.” She left before he could say another word.

Frida was waiting faithfully on the grass outside the house, looking up to her as she approached. She smiled at her companion as she approached. “Success.” She whispered to her, mounting her bareback, and guiding her back toward the inn.

An attendant came in to wake Maria just as twilight was hitting the sky. She economized on breakfast and bought only a few morsels to hold her over through the morning. Frida was not happy about the early morning, and gave her mistress a stubborn attitude as she tethered her bit and bridle. Taking one last look at her father’s weathered saddle, she instructed the stable hand to burn it before leading her horse away from the stall.

She walked Frida down the few blocks of the waking city to where the stable boy had said Mr. Lower’s shop would be. The owner had already lit a few kerosene lamps and was busy setting up his business for the day. To her surprise, the old man invited her in to peruse the merchandise, and even took the time to show her different features on each of his saddles. It did not take her long to decide though, going for the sturdy, if slightly less fashionable choice.

The purchase cleaned her out, save a few coins that might buy her two meals. She decided that if the situation arose, she would steal money before letting Grace and Thomas know she was destitute. She would let them support her as long as she could, so long as they didn’t ask questions.

She strapped the saddle to Frida, making her way down the now busy streets toward Sinead’s Inn and Tavern, the new saddle stiff and musking strongly of bitter leather.

She could not help but smile as she saw Alaric sitting on the steps of the Tavern, smoking a cigarette and watching her approach with triumphant eyes, as if he’d just won a bet with himself.

“A good morning to you, Señorita.” He said in his deep voice, flashing a surprisingly white smile. “I trust you slept well.”

“We’d better get to the Governor’s office. I have accepted the position on a team with Thomas Blake and Grace Love. We’ll be signing Young’s contracts this morning. I trust that will not be an issue.”

Alaric jumped up from the steps, his smile still in his eyes, “My objective was to be on your team. Anyone who comes with it isn’t much of my concern.” Maria held back a smile, but she guessed Alaric knew her amusement.

Without another word, Alaric approached a mustang whose coat was a few shades lighter than Alaric’s own skin. “Darko, meet Señorita Maria. Señorita, this is Darko. He’s a little shy, but he’ll come around once he gets to know you.” Maria liked that Alaric treated his steed with the same familiarity that she treated Frida.

“Frida.” Maria patted her neck, and gave her a little kick to get her moving. The two of them walked through the roads, coming back to the courthouse where they had parted just the night before. It was only 9 o’clock, but Maria didn’t mind waiting. She wouldn’t be caught off guard again, and she would not put it past Mrs. Love to sign the contracts early in the hopes that Maria could not take part.

Alaric took the explanation with a shrug, and went about reading a tiny book to pass the time. The heat climbed steadily, and Maria had to stop herself from pacing in anticipation. She took to watching the passerbys, making a game of what their business in town was. They took swigs of their canteens, periodically used their bandanas to wipe their sweat, adjusting and readjusting their hats.

A far off clock tower neared the point of 10, and Maria watched as a noble carriage came trotting down the dirt road. It stopped in front of the steps where Maria and Alaric sat, the footman ceremoniously opening the door, and helping the young lady Grace out, her elegance almost as blaring as the sun. Mr. Love followed her, offering his arm out to her. Thomas was not far behind, and soon the three of them stared at the cattle drivers who awaited their presence.

Mr. Conely had ridden up behind the carriage on a mare, and Mrs. Whitmore drove her own box jump seat carriage. All congregated on the steps. For a split second, Maria was reminded of a Mexican standoff, but had to remind herself that they were all allies there, and there should be no animosity between a team.

“Miss Maria, what a pleasure it is to see you again.” Grace nearly sang with charm. She side-eyed Alaric, but said nothing to him.

“Well let’s get on with this, no sense in standing about it in this goddamned sun.” Mr. Love protested, leading the way up the steps toward the courthouse. Alaric looked to Maria, evidently feeling the tension.

“Mr. Washington.” Blake offered out his hand. There was a palpable moment of shock on Alaric’s face. Such niceties were not usually offered up to him. “I am pleased you’ll be joining this task force. I think we will accomplish much together.”

Alaric reached out and took Thomas’ hand, giving it an awkward, single shake before turning to ascend to the courtroom.

Thomas and Maria walked up the steps side by side, not looking at one another.

“I hope Mrs. Love does see herself the leader of this group. I do not think of myself as superior, but I will have a hard time taking orders from her.”

“Grace can be a challenge at times, but I would not worry. I’m sure there will be a good many times on our travels when she defers to your judgement.”

Maria fought the urge to grind her teeth. Women like Grace Love and Maria Castillo had too much spirit to quietly defer to the other’s judgement. She guessed there would be many times ahead where the two would not only disagree, but fight like wildcats. Once again, she cursed her light purse for putting her in this situation, and took a glance back to the load on Frida’s back that had caused it.

Blood Mary.

Thomas was at a loss, watching the figure of the María Castillo fade into the darkness, as he stood in the warm glow of the abode behind him. Why had he asked her to join, knowing full well that Grace would disagree? Because she was an outsider? To help her out? To save himself from Grace? Because she could speak Spanish, and would give him someone to vent to?

Ultimately, it was because he knew Grace and John would hate it. Childhood had not grown out of him, and more than twenty years of dissonance had rooted itself deep. Taking the power from authority, he had done it again — this time using an unsuspecting woman to help him. If Thomas were a better man he would have begged for forgiveness, would have repented and fixed his mistake. Thomas was not that sort of man, and despite knowing what he had done was wrong, he did not regret it. Making Grace squirm and John furious had been worth it.

Miss Castillo continued to approve of the arrangement, for whatever circumstances. He had to ensure that Grace and John would think the same.

With one last glance into the darkness, Thomas made his way back into the house, walking past servants, to the door of John’s study. The light of lamp shining under the door, he knocked fully prepared for what he would experience next.

“Enter.” John called in a hushed voice, no doubt thanks to Grace calming him.

Thomas carefully opened the door, before sliding into the room and bolting it shut behind him. He watched as both Grace and John leveled their glares upon him. Grace opened her mouth to speak and before the reprimand could begin, Thomas spoke. “It would be foolish to act with the use of others. Each an additional paycheck and pension. Should they get injured or maimed, you would have to compensate. Additionally the more ears privy to treasure, the more likely we are to sow betrayal. For any bodyguard that comes with us will know in part what the prize is. Maria Castillo and Alaric Washington are top characters, as well as excellent protectors. Unless, that is, you wish to have Mr. Conely and myself protect the party. A fool hearted wish, indeed.”

“We are not in the business of working with their kind.” John reminded Thomas.

“Take into consideration,” Thomas was not defending himself to John. No, he had to convince Grace. “What I said about discretion. Even if you can ensure that our party will be loyal, can you guarantee our success? With the actions of a large guard, we will not be able to blend into society and aptly investigate. Bodyguards, regardless of their training, will stick out here. That is, those who we can guarantee loyalty. Those who will blend in would be those who we can not ensure loyalty.”

Grace was listening to him, eyes leveled on him, having come to the same considerations herself minutes before, perhaps in far greater detail.

“They—“ John continued.

“Miss Castillo and Mr. Washington can work together as a unit. Them assisting us and walking with us will not seem too unordinary to those of similar stature like mine and yours Grace, additionally by having them both we can negotiate trade, deals, and the likes, with their expanse of knowledge that we do not have. Mr. Conely may know the plants and the beasts, but he will not be able to talk to the people. Mrs. Whitmore will know medicine, and can assist a conversation but she will not know the people. I do not know the people and the way in which they function. Do not act as to presume that you shall. High society, perhaps, Grace. However, I am better versed in the politics of the rich than you are, and I doubt you have such abilities with those out here in the middle of — uncivilized land.” He had hesitated to use the phrase, but wishing to appeal to them both, he did so willingly. “They can protect us as well as guide us through social situations that we are unfamiliar.”

There was an unfathomable silence in the room as John fumed from being cut off and Grace coaxed him without a sound. Her eyes were on Thomas debating and analyzing. Grace was far smarter than him. His words were correct, that he was better versed in the affairs of the rich, however she was better with controlling situations. They both knew it. She used him to charm a room, and to divulge secrets. He, alone, would never be able to solve the mystery. Neither would Mrs. Whitmore nor Mr. Conely. Maria Castillo may, Thomas felt that in his gut, however Grace would undoubtedly.

These were the tools he had handed her. Two sharp knives that would be loyal to the cause, as well as provide them will information they would be pressed to find.

“I will not have a —“ John started the slur when Grace kissed him.

“My love, Thomas will protect me. His skill with a gun may be dreadful, but no man would dare harm me while he is around. His status is far too great. Harming a single hair on his head would result in the deaths of many. Do not forget that his father has vowed to us his protection.” Grace laid her threats to Thomas as thinly veiled praises to her husband to comfort the man. Thomas had not known his father was in league with the Loves, but hearing so did not surprise him. It was also a threat to him, saying that he could not act out against her or John, choosing Alaric and Maria over them. Grace could claim kidnapping or worse, and destroy them both with the assistance of Thomas’ father. “A witless man like Mr. Washington will never threaten Thomas.”

John eyed Grace before glaring at Thomas, telling Thomas with his eyes that Grace’s pretty words would never convince him. “If he harms her, I will kill him, his family, before returning that boy back to your father, and exposing your indecencies.”

Jail time could come from such an exposure of his and Lewis’ former relationship, perhaps expulsion from the family, or a forced marriage. His father’s mood would determine his fate. Returning Lewis to Thomas’ father would result in the certain death of Lewis, either way. “I will ensure that all of Mr. Washington’s actions are for protection, nothing else.”

“A six way split?” Grace rested on the table, looking at Thomas.

“Four ways.” Thomas disagreed. “After reviewing our contracts, while you are able to make your own money, this can constitute a bribe for yourself should it be discovered.”

“Then why ever are we still talking? If we can not get the money, then for what reason are we going?” Grace sighed dramatically, looking at her husband with a smile. He knew it was a rhetorical question. Her husband had made it clear earlier that day that they had to find the staff and ensure it got back to the United States government, not to the governor at all. With one nod, Grace stood once more. “I will accept the two into our party, as you have convinced me of their worth and the strategic value of the partnership, however…” She approached him. “You will not spring something like this upon me once again, my dear.”

“What?” Thomas bit his tongue. He looked to John who seemed disinterested.

“My love and life can not go with us, as his duty is to the city here, however it is unbecoming of myself going out on my own. As such my lovely husband's estranged brother must accompany me.”

“I am not a Love.”

“You are most certainly not a Blake, Mr. Beaufort.” John disagreed. “Such a flimsy lie will only go so far as those who do not know either of you, which will be in all of our best interests.”

Grace was going to use the lie to control him, and to speak with him often. She’d use it to keep close to him. Such a thought horrified him, but he kept such comments to himself, smiling at her. “Understood, dear sister.”

“Then we are in agreement.” Grace motioned for Thomas to leave. “Please do remember, dear brother, that any and all actions of Ms. Castillo and Mr. Washington will be under your jurisdiction. Should they act unbecoming or unsavory, it will fall upon you.” Another threat, not so hidden.

“Of course. I am the one who scouted them.” And he had to make sure he was on their good side, so that they did not betray him. Maria’s threat echoed in the back of his mind. Bidding the two a good night, Thomas left the room and headed to his own determined to see the next day through with no mistakes.

Upon arriving at the consulate, Thomas had assessed the group, seeing the way that Grace commanded their attention with her every action. In retort, Thomas offered his hand to Alaric Washington. The handshake was strong, albeit awkward, giving Thomas more confidence in the man than he had before. He had made the right choice in selecting Maria, he had to remind himself.

As they walked, Maria spoke to him and he gave his best lie hoping that for once Grace would surprise him, he doubted she would.

The Governor stood waiting for them, contract in hand, multiple ready to be signed.

“Are we first for the afternoon?” Grace asked, approaching the Governor, who glanced over them a bit surprised by their party.

“A variety of personalities, you have chosen Mrs. Love. I find it hard to believe so many of them agreed to work together.” Governor Young directed them forward to the contracts.

“We must seek outside opinions when furthering our understanding of the world,” Grace smiled at him before taking a contract. “Unfortunately, I am dreadful with contract etiquette. I brought my husband with me today to assist me with the documentation.”

“Of course.” Governor Young offered his hand to John Love. “Mr. Love I hope the city is to your tastes.”

“Governor Young, we must discuss the intricacies of the city over dinner some time.”

They had met Governor Young when they had first arrived, but John acted as if they were old friends, and he didn’t complain about the man each night. Taking the contract John began to read and Grace made small talk.

“Is there something wrong with the contract?” Mrs. Whitmore asked.

“John is assessing it.” For loopholes and inconsistencies. Thomas knew the man would debate if necessary, to get them the most advantageous deal, however, Thomas needed to make sure it applied to all within their party. One ear alert for the moment John started discussing, Thomas took the opportunity to make everyone acquainted.

“Mrs. Whitmore, have you met Mr. Washington?” Thomas asked the woman who stood near Mr. Conely.

“No!” Her voice squeaked as if caught off guard.

“A lovely man, truly.” Thomas smiled at her. “Strong and quick, he and Ms. Castillo will certainly keep us safe as we travel.” He then looked to Alaric. “As you know, Mrs. Whitmore is a doctor.”

“I am only a nurse.” She corrected him.

“Any medical knowledge is better than none.” Alaric smiled at her. “It is a pleasure to see you.”

“And Mr. Conely.” Thomas introduced further. “Botanist, Fauna specialist, historian. A multi-talented man who has found his life’s work in studying the west.” He looked to Maria Castillo. “And Maria Castillo, who you have all been acquainted with at least in —part.”

His attention turned back to John as the man began speaking, outlining sections of the contract with Governor Young that he did not agree with. Thomas knew his actions seemed disjointed, but he had to ensure…

“As for the pay—“ John began.

“We have discussed splitting it six ways.” Thomas spoke up walking forward. “Does the contract allow for such a split.”

“As I have said before, the money will be split between those who successfully deliver the object. Do you have an objection?” Governor Young asked.

“Is it possible to add a clause within the documentation that all money will be split six ways to avoid confusion? Should one wish to give up their portion of the money they can do so at the time of receiving the money, and the rest of the funds will be split evenly amongst the party.” Thomas needed the stipulation added, for Maria to believe him that he would not betray her, and so that Grace would believe him as serious.

“And in the event of an untimely demise, Mr. Blake?” Governor Young asked.

“Are you suspecting us to die?” Grace asked in turn.

“It is dangerous work. Mrs. Love. The contract was written in a way to support the winners.”

“In the event of an untimely demise, the reward money, upon completion, that was allocated to the deceased signer will be sent as compensation to the person or persons of their choosing.” Thomas watched as Grace perked up at his words. “Additionally a signer can opt into sending the money to these persons directly, even if they survive.”

“You have been studying your law, Mr. Blake.” John Love eyed him with a nod.

He had spent much of the early morning trying to figure out how to word it well enough. He knew John would add the exact language needed for the contract, but coming up with the stipulation ensured that people got their share of money, as well as granting Thomas and Grace a way to keep the money. Grace could give it to her sister. Thomas could give it to Lewis and Elliot.

Thomas looked back to Maria hoping it was enough. The look in her eyes told him that she understood vaguely what had been said. Alaric Washington seemed to understand far better than any of the four standing back listening, giving Thomas a nod.

“If that is what you wish. I will prepare the documentation for your beneficiary.” Governor Young began work on the new documents as John adjusted the existing contract. He gave the adjustment to Grace and then to Thomas, who read it, before he gave it to the others to read over. Once they had read over the document, Governor Young finalized a copy and had them fill out the beneficiary documentation before signing the final contract.

“I will hold on to these both.” Governor Young nodded to them all. “I wish you a pleasant journey.”

With that the party was able to leave. Thomas’ mind was blank, hoping he had caught everything he had to, and that the contract was flawless for all sides of the party. He chastised himself for not paying enough attention to legal studies while in school, not that such thoughts did him any good.

“How are we going to travel?” Mrs. Whitmore asked. “By carriage?”

“Both Ms. Castillo and Mr. Washington have horses to accompany them.” Thomas answered. “By cart may be our best option, as the train between here and our destination will not give us the mobility needed after we begin our search.” San Francisco was the beginning not the destination. Having mobility outside of trains was necessary.

“We will be going by train, we can get a special car for the horses, but the train to San Francisco will be faster.” Grace disagreed.

Thomas refrained from looking at her with the exasperated feeling he felt in his soul, and looked to the others, hoping that they’re opinions would help the plan to be finalized.

Last edited:
The conversation concerning the partition of the award was difficult for Maria to follow, she admitted. But ultimately, she understood that her share would be given to her, no strings attached, and where it would be delivered in the event of her not being able to receive it herself.

Maria stood at Alaric’s side as they left the consulate. She felt strangely glad to have the legalities behind her. A weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She had put down Isadora Delgado and the Castillo estate ‘Zipoa’ to be the recipient of her funds should anything happen to her. Not that she intended anything would. If she did not come out of this alive, she’d kill someone.

The Salt Lake sun was now in full force overhead as the team congregated on the steps to the consulate. All that was left now was to discuss their future. Where were they going? How would they proceed? What was to be the best strategy?

Mrs. Whitmore spoke up first as each, no doubt, contemplated their next move. “We will be going by train, we can get a special car for the horses, but the train to San Francisco will be faster.” Grace piped up. Maria could feel Thomas’ eyes on her, evidently concerned she might protest, but to her own surprise, she agreed with Grace. The train would be the best option if they were going to outrun their opponents, and Frida would be able to rest for a few days, even if the train might be a little stressful on her.

“As luck would have it,” Grace continued, “There is a train departing from the station tonight at 4 o’clock headed for Winnemucca, Nevada. I daresay that will give each of us ample time to make arrangements and prepare to leave this city for Southern California. Any questions?” Grace looked around at the group expectantly, pulling out a black lacy fan and flicking it out to cool herself. Maria suppressed a smile at her airs while the rest of the group stayed silent.

“Excellent!” She continued. “We shall expect to see you all there a half an hour early to ensure we’re all aboard in good time.” Grace slithered her hand into the crook of her husband’s elbow, and he led her away. The rest of the group began to disperse, each eager to allow enough time in their schedules to pack and close up any accounts that may need their attention. Maria chose to look at Alaric instead of Thomas, the two of them mutually deciding to return to their horses.

“I have no affairs to settle before leaving. What about you, Señorita?” Alaric said, pulling himself up on Darko. Maria looked at him with incredulous eyes. “I didn’t think so. These sissies are going to need to learn a thing or two about surviving out here.” They pulled their steeds away from the courthouse and casually strolled down the roads, never minding the pedestrians and city dwellers. “Ain’t no time for making arrangements and preparin’. You do, or you die.” Alaric continued. “Especially with what we’re walking into.” he added quietly. Maria looked at him suspiciously. The gravity of his words struck her as odd. She had no doubt there would be dangers. A man had been killed over this item already. Who knew how much more bloodshed, cheating, backstabbings, and lies would have to be undergone to recover it. But Alaric’s manner of speaking had a layer of foreboding that didn’t set right. Did he truly believe in the old myths the governor had spouted to them?

The two of them wandered around until they found a saloon that would admit them. Alaric paid for a late lunch, even buying a celebratory drink to commemorate their successful alliance and admittance into Love’s team. More wandering around the city brought them to some rather spectacular views of the mountains. Even in the height of summer, the snow that capped them was unphased, presenting a heartbreaking beauty.

Their tour of the city ultimately brought them around to the train station where they were a good fifteen minutes ahead of schedule. It didn’t take long, however, before the leaders of their party arrived. From the same carriage, Grace climbed out first, having changed her outfit to something more practical, though no less flattering. She and her two gentlemen approached the window of the station and engaged in deep conversation with the attendant there.

Maria and Alaric garnered a few looks from other travels as they sat quietly on a wooden bench. Maria wondered if the people would be any different once they got to San Fransisco. Surprisingly, her travels had never taken her to that city. It was childish, she knew, but there was always a sense of giddiness in her whenever she was about to travel to a new place. She had never been on a train before either, and the anticipation of new experiences excited her.

Thomas and Grace appeared to have begun a bit of scuffle over at the attendant’s window. Maria had the feeling these would be frequent between the two of them. The argument continued for some time in hushed tones, Mr. Love occasionally adding his input, seemingly to berate Mr. Blake for whatever stance he was taking. Thomas then looked over at Maria and Alaric with apologetic eyes.

Grace shrugged at him and strutted over to where Maria and Alaric were sitting. “We have secured an extra car for your horses. We’ll have to buy their food and any other provisions for them at the next stop.” she clearly spoke to Maria, but barely made eye contact with her, “But this is only on the understanding that you will both accompany the horses in their compartment. The train company will not allow people of your sort to travel in the luxury cars, but they are willing to make an exception if you are there to look after your animals. I trust this will not be an issue.” The last part being more of a statement than a question, she turned on her heel and floated back to her husband.

“I don’t know why I expected anything different.” Alaric murmured. He hoisted himself up from his seat, adjusting his belt and hat. “I have a feeling we’re going to be taking these positions for a long while, Señorita.”

“At least we have each other.” Maria looked at him with exaggerated lovey eyes and gave him a nudge. “I’d rather be by Frida’s side anyway. Not a day has gone by that we haven’t traveled together since my quinceañera. I will be there to keep her calm through the train’s commotion.”

She said it, trying to make the best out of the situation, but something grated at her just like it did Alaric. They both led their beasts further down the tracks to the empty car where they were directed. A makeshift ramp let up to the cold, steel box, smelling strongly of manure, stale straw, and rusty metal. A few crates were stacked up in a corner, along with some cleaning supplies and a barrel of water. There didn’t appear to be any safety measures for the animals, so Maria took to getting Frida to settle down and get comfortable on the hard floor.

Alaric followed suit in the opposite end, though Darko was having a harder time getting comfortable. “Perhaps I can sing to him later.” Maria offered, knowing her dulcet tones always soothed Frida’s fears and high spirit.

Just as Alaric gave her a grateful smile, Thomas walked up the ramp to their car.

“I am truly sorry about this. I tried to convince them to set you up in one of the cabins, but they didn’t want to press the matter.” Thomas shoved her hands into his pockets, an apologetic look in his eyes.

“You’d better get going to your car before the train departs.” Alaric said as a conductor shouted for all passengers to board, clearly uninterested in Thomas’ concerns.

“Unless you’d care to join us?” Maria proposed with a smirk, knowing his fine clothes would not be enough to keep him warm through the night in the poorly insulated coach.

“Sir, we need to remove the ramp now.” a couple of the station attendants had approached the car, ready to close up the doors.

“Goodnight, Mr. Blake.” Maria said leaning back on Frida’s belly as a pillow. “We’ll see you in Winnemucca.”

Thomas sat in the train car perturbed. The four of them were sharing a car while Maria and Alaric were stuck in the back with the horses. He stared out the moving window refusing to speak to any one of them as the train accelerated towards their destination. The idea of leaving the other two in the back had him stick to his stomach. He could only think of their comment towards him, and the fact that he would have frozen outside. How were they holding up?

“There is no use pouting,” Grace spoke to him from where she sat reading her book. “You could not have expected their sort to actually sit with us.”

“You realize that they are our protection.” Thomas had to refrain from glaring at her.

“And they have horses to take care of.”

Thomas rolled his eyes.

“Mr. Blake.” Mrs. Whitmore spoke to him drawing his attention to her. “Do we know of any others who have accepted the mission?”

Thomas shot a look to Grace, who answered. “Two other teams were created that I know of. I would not be surprised if others were already sent ahead or even hired through other sources.” Grace set her book down. “The governor is adamant about retrieving this artifact.”

“Do you suppose we will meet danger?” Mr. Conely asked.

“Undoubtedly.” Grace and Thomas said at once in unison. They two shared a look before Grace continued. “You must stay close to our guard in the cities.”

“If you don’t mind me asking.” Mr. Conely smiled to them both. “How are you both acquainted?” Thomas was certain the question was asking how it was that they were so close despite not being related, nor married.

“My husband and Thomas have worked together for years.” Thomas wanted to correct her that it had only been a year and a half, officially, but he refrained from saying so. He saw how the look of the two was not convinced by their closeness, and the improper nature of their relationship. “My husband and Thomas’ father are also close friends. Thomas is like a son to my husband.” Grace stated, the relationship Thomas card little for, which was not a lie, while saying that Thomas and John Love were close, which was a lie of the worst kind. “My husband has been tasked by Thomas’ father to keep him out of trouble with the rough sort that Thomas finds himself associated with.”

Thomas ignored her statement.

“What sort of work does your father do?” Mrs. Whitmore asked.

“Trade.” Thomas answered in a noncommittal way. He was vaguely aware that his smile seemed a bit more forced than normal, and thus he settled into it knowing Grace would never reveal his truths when he did not. “My brother is currently working on succeeding him in the family business.”

“So, you have an understanding of what we will be looking for?” Mr. Conely asked. If Thomas didn't know any better, he would have believed that Mr. Conely believed him the mastermind of the team. There was no way the man could be so foolish, was there?

Thomas continued smiling and changed the conversation. “We should prepare for dinner. The dinner car has already set up a table for us and it would be best if we are early, as to avoid a late night. We will need all the rest we can before tomorrow, when we stop.”

“Agreed.” Grace nodded. They had a fourteen hour train ride ahead of them and Thomas dreaded each one of them.

Dinner passed without incident, letting the party relax into the car for the night, setting up accommodations for sleep, despite the rocking of the train. Thomas did his best to relax, thinking of Maria and Alaric in the back car with their horses, sleeping in the cold. The cold…

“We are going to need to buy warmer clothes.” Thomas whispered to Grace who was not yet asleep.

“What for?” She asked with a low voice, complaint within the intonation.

“If we have to track the seller by foot. They say the desert nights are killer.” Thomas had experienced the drastic shift in temperatures from day to night, but he had never been out in the middle of nowhere when it had happened.

“We will consider it.” Grace signaled the end of the night.

Thomas thought of Maria and Alaric, of the mission they were on and Elliot. He thought of Lewis and Lewis’ smile, and the fear on his face when Thomas had told him everything, when they had agreed to end what was between them so that they may keep him safe. Thomas had not written to Lewis, nor Elliot, however he resolved himself to send a letter to Elliot as soon as he could. While he did not trust any letters going from himself to Lewis, he could send one to another one of their contacts and then to Elliot telling him to expect a letter for Lewis. It would be round about, and convoluted in it processing, would take months for delivery, but would be the safest route.

Resolving himself to restless sleep, Thomas drifted for hours fitful and worried about his companions new and old.

When Thomas awoke, the sky was still dark, but the soft glow of the moon was enough for him to be able to check his watch and see that they were approaching the designated time of arrival. Sitting up, Thomas began preparing his things, moving about and waking the others who quickly prepared for departure.

When the train attendant came to wake them and inform them of complimentary breakfast, Thomas snuck some food for Maria and Alaric, making sure that no one saw him take what he could.

Winnemucca, Nevada was unlike Salt Lake City, in that it was far smaller and less refined than what Thomas had expected, not that he expected much.

“Thomas we will need to buy our next set of tickets.” Grace told him, while he waited for Maria and Alaric.

“I will buy them once we have the other two.” He hoped that the food hadn’t gotten too cold.

“Mr. Blake.” Thomas heard his name, a familiar voice, not that he could place the name to it without a face. Searching for the speaker, Thomas found himself face to face with others from the Governor’s party. Mr. Thames continued speaking. “I was not aware we were on the same train.”

Thomas brightened up, tossing his private thoughts aside, keeping himself centered. “What a surprise. We really must eat together on the next train. I take it that you and Mr. Thames have joined hands to assist Governor Young?”

“And you and Mrs. Love…” The man’s eyes narrowed at Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conely. “As well as Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conely. A large party that you have.”

“Far from complete, really.” Thomas answered looking back to the back carts catching sight of two familiar figures.

“Are you taking the afternoon train?” Grace asked as refined as Thomas but with a bite. Thomas stood uneasy, waiting for Maria and Alaric to catch up. The hostility in these men’s eyes was not something that Thomas felt confident dealing with on his own.

Last edited:
Both Frida and Darko were uneasy as the train started to move, but with the reassuring hushes of their riders, they settled into the jerking movement of the car on the tracks. Maria herself took a moment to adjust to the sensation. She had never ridden by train, and found that while the marvel of the machinery was impressive, there was something daunting about the speed and the unrelenting vibrations.

And the noise.

Perhaps her experience would have been more impressive had she been in comfortable quarters, but the steel car they rode in offered no such luxury, and the din of the passing wind and the wheels on the rails was less than ideal.

Still, it was a comfort to have Alaric there. She was quite assured of her choice in partner, and felt confident that they would work well together. He didn’t talk much to her, which suited her fine. She was accustomed to silent companions.

There were several stops through the night at various smaller train stations. None of them last much more than twenty minutes, but Maria was sure it slowed their travel time considerably. They were meant to arrive at Winnemucca by seven in the morning, and from what she could tell, they were making good time.

The two settled in, pulling out their canteens or some morsels they had stowed away for times such as these between larger meals. By the time the sun had sunk well below the horizon, their quarters were completely dark. Maria tried her best to rest, but the jostling made it hard to get relaxed enough to fully succumb to sleep.

A cool air woke her up at one point, and she noticed Alaric had pulled open the side door, his leg dangling off the side, a cigarette in his fingers as he gazed at the night sky. She got up to join him, settling carefully against the heavy door, trying not to get dizzy from the rapidly speeding ground below.

The moonlight was breathtaking over the landscape that passed by before them. Northern Nevada had an appeal all its own, soft mountains in the distance. Clusters of dried shrubbery that looked like a sea of silver as the moonlight hit them.

Alaric offered out his cigarette to Maria which she elected to turn down this time.

“I’ve been thinkin’” Alaric murmured, his deep voice still audible over the rushing wind, “What if we find this scepter, and all the governor hopes for turns out to be true… do we just hand it over to him?”

Maria scoffed at the implication. “Magic? Real? The Governor Young is as cracked as an urn. And I’d hand over anything if it got me a sixth of sixty thousand dollars.”

Alaric looked at her coldly which took her off guard. “Don’t be so quick to dismiss legends, Señorita. You keep an open mind, or you underestimate your opponent.” Maria frowned. She found it hard to believe that a rational man such as Alaric would be intimidated by stories of extraordinary powers and fantastical abilities, but she supposed he had a point. Obviously someone believed in the supernatural significance of this item, and it would mean they would run into fanatics.

They rode in silence for awhile before Alaric flicked his cigarette to the wind. Not a moment too soon as the wind was starting to make Maria shiver. Alaric offered out his hand as he stood, “Rabbit bed?” he asked, referring to a time honored custom of the cattle wrangler, to huddle together for warmth in the desert in order to stay alive. She nodded, accepting his hand, and the two got comfortable by Frida.

Their huddle made it much easier to get some rest, and before long, the increments of sleep got longer and longer until Maria woke to see a pink sky coming through the holes of the car walls.

The lack of sleep had made her groggy and rather irritable, but she and Alaric slowly started to stir and get around. Maria combed through her hair and chewed the last of her pine needles. Frida and Darko were getting restless, and Maria took to humming to keep her spirits calmed.

Finally, just as they were approaching seven in the morning, they began to see the outline of a settlement from the door they had opened again. It was small, but it was a relief to know they would soon be on steady land again.

The train slowed at a frustrating pace, taking what seemed forever to come to a complete stop. Their position was very far from the station, but they got out of the freight quickly and headed in that direction.

Alaric spoke with a young attendant, slipping him a heavy coin and pointing toward their car. The lad nodded and headed off, preparing a ramp to disembark the horses.

It felt so strange feeling the solid earth beneath her legs again, her muscles irregularly sore, as they walked toward the rest of their party.

Maria nearly did a double take as she noticed Grace and Thomas speaking with a familiar face. Mr. Thames had clearly just disembarked from the train as well, a triumphant grin on his face as he spoke with them.

Maria grabbed at Alaric’s arm, warning him to keep their distance from the conversation. She and Mr. Thames had had several discourteous interactions while at the Governor’s dinner party. The two stood idly by while the important leaders talked. While their smiles seemed polite and their tones easy, there was something tense in their manner.

Maria glanced at Thomas who seemed agitated though composed. She did not miss the look he gave her that seemed like a quiet warning, and Maria felt her hand want to flinch to the revolver at her hip or the knife in her boot.

“You think somethin’s amiss?” Alaric muttered so only she could hear.

“I do not know yet. But the fact that our competition is so close at hand does not bode well for us.” Maria looked around to gage the scene. There were a number of other passengers and workers in the station, and any type of a showdown would likely be unwise on Mr. Thame’s part. While looking around, she caught a glimpse of Mr. Ides, who was watching the scene with as much enthusiasm as she.

Mr. Thames then tipped his hat toward Mrs. Love, and backed away from the party. Grace looked irritable, and said something to Thomas with a contemptible expression. She caught sight of Maria and Alaric and twitched her head to get them to approach.

“Unfortunately, the train to Carson City does not leave until just after one o’clock. We are stuck in this godforsaken town until then. Might I suggest none of us wander far from the station? With those two hot on our trail, we shouldn’t separate and risk missing that train.” Grace concluded, flicking out her fan though the morning was still fresh.

“Señorita and I will be seeing to our horses. I’m assuming our lodging situation will be the same on our next train?” Alaric asked Grace with a dash of cheek. Grace gave him a sarcastic look that confirmed his suspicions, but said nothing.

“Mr. Blake and I will be securing our tickets. For those of you who have errands…” She gave a look to their guard “make it quick.” She turned swiftly and made her way toward the ticket counter.

“I smuggled these out for you,” Thomas said, handing them each a small muslin sack. “I know it’s not much, so here’s something to spend while you’re here. Use it wisely, I don’t know when she’ll give you more.” He pushed a couple of dimes into their hands.

“Thomas!” Grace called after him. He caught up with her, joining her at the window. Maria looked down at the dime in her hands, wondering what would be the best use for it. She opened the muslin sack to reveal a crust of corn bread, a handful of grapes, and a couple of small sausage links.

She hadn’t realized how hungry she was until she saw it, and wrapped it up again quickly, wanting to eat in private. “Go and get us some food for the next train.” Alaric said, offering his coin to Maria. “I’ll take care of the horses’ expenses.” and he walked off to join the attendant who had Frida and Darko.

She made her way toward the entrance of the station, casting a glance over her shoulder at Thomas and Grace. Thomas’s dark eyes were staring right back at her, sending a warm flutter into Maria’s gut. She tore her gaze away and quickly walked on, sucking in a deep breath to rid herself of the unwelcome feeling.

‘¿Que demonios?’ She snapped at herself, shaking her head clear. But even after she stepped through the station’s entrance and into the street, the directness of his gaze lingered in her mind.

She looked at the dimes in her hand, desperate for a distraction. Food. Yes. And a few supplies. Good.

The streets were not half as busy as Salt Lake, and she found it easier to approach residents and ask where she might find a grocer. Getting the food was easy enough. She selected a couple of tin canned beans, a few apples, some dried meat, and a great many peanuts.

Still having a few pennies left, she asked around about a pharmacist or apothecary, and was sent to a shack at the end of the street, so dilapidated she thought a stiff breeze might have blown it over. She walked through the open door, the room smelling strongly of incense, eucalyptus, and sage. It was deathly quiet, and Maria took to ambling around. She looked over the different counters, tables, and shelves, holding bottles and dried herbs. There were dusty candles for sale, even some small pickled remedies from far off lands.

Just as she was about to call out for assistance, a lady walked through a beaded curtain leading to what looked like a tiny back room.

The woman was small, and could have been anywhere between sixteen and thirty. Her hair was in the style of the Jamaicans, though it was blonde, and tied up by a turquoise scarf. She had the most piercing green eyes Maria had ever seen, to the point where they were unsettling.

“Good day.” Maria spoke first. The woman offered her a silent smile. “I am in need of pine needles for my teeth.”

“Is that all?” She asked, her voice lower than Maria would have expected for someone her height, her accent something of Gaelic or Celtic origin. “Most people come into my shop for a reading…” She said mysteriously, swaggering behind one of her counters to a crystal ball. Maria fought the urge to roll her eyes.

“No, thank you. Just the pine needles.”

“You are a rare specimen… it’s not every day I get a Mexican and an Injun all in one.” The lady’s eyebrow tilted upward, spying Maria to see if she was impressed. “I would love to read your future, if you’d let me. I don’t often get to look into the timeline of someone like you…”

“I would like to pay for my goods and go. Do you have the needles?”

“Aye. Wouldn’t want to miss the train, would we?” the lady swept away to another shelf and pulled down a jar stuffed with needles that were still green. Maria was almost impressed with the comment before remembering she was likely one of the only people in town this fortune teller did not know, and therefore she must have deduced Maria was a traveler.

The lady held out a handful of the needles wrapped in twine, more than Maria needed, but before she took the penny Maria offered she withdrew. “Tell you what. If you let me read your future, I will give you these, no charge.” The woman’s smile seemed innocent enough, but Maria could not figure on why she was so intent on giving her a reading, and without pay. Still, she was not one to lose the chance at free goods.

“Very well.” Maria shrugged, thinking it could not possibly take long. The lady’s smile widened at her agreement, and she walked back over to the crystal ball.

“Now, place your hands in mine.” She asked, putting her own hands down, facing upward on either side of the crystal. Maria obeyed, already beginning to regret her compliance. The lady took in a deep breath and closed her eyes, which Maria found suspicious given she was not looking into the crystal as most “fortune tellers” would.

There was a long drawn out moment where she made some sounds of assent, some quizzicals hmms, and she turned her head in many directions as if looking for something, though her eyes remained closed.

“So much anger. That you have put to good use, I see.” Maria rolled her eyes, this time not bothering to conceal it. “You have great potential, Maria.” Maria’s eyes snapped to the psychic, her heart pounding at the mention of the name she had never uttered to this woman. She tried to pull her hands away, but the woman grabbed onto them so she could not move.

“You have much doubt that will melt in the coming weeks. There is a force coming for you that you cannot escape. Coming for him too, though it will not take the same form.” Maria fought harder to free her hands, but the woman was deceptively strong. “You have a strength that you let your anger overpower, and you think that you lost that strength when you lost....” At this the woman’s eyes sprang open, and Maria could have sworn she saw a cloudy film over the woman’s green eyes that drifted away like a fog in the breeze.

“Oh, Maria… I’m so sorry.” The woman released Maria’s hands. Maria snatched up the pine needles and turned for the door, a cold shiver running down her spine. “It wasn’t your fault, you know.” She called after her. Maria slowed, despite herself. “No one could have carried her longer than you did.” At this Maria stopped dead in the doorway and turned her eyes slowly back to the fortune teller.

“Her?” Tears filled Maria’s eyes and spilt down her face. She hadn’t cried in years. Suddenly, she couldn’t catch her breath. The lady offered her a soft smile, but fury filled Maria like lightning. She swiped the tears away and took off at nearly a run down the dirt road.

‘Ella realmente no sabía.’ she reminded herself ‘Ella realmente no podía saber esas cosas!’ her heart still beating fast, she desperately searched around for the train station. She stormed through the entrance, hoping the evidence of her tears was not still in her eyes. She looked around the station for her group and saw Thomas and Grace talking to one another on a deck near the loading area.

An old man casually bumped into Grace, though he had plenty of room to avoid her. He made his lame apologies while tipping his hat toward her. Grace made a brief demand that the coot be more careful in the future. Maria’s heart skipped a beat, and still worked up from the adrenaline from her fortune being read, she reached down in her boot and grabbed her knife.

Running up toward the old man, she slid into place, kicking the man’s foot out from under him, and forcing him to the ground where she thrust the dagger beneath his chin.

“I do not think that belongs to you.” She spat near his ear. Anyone who was in the station immediately drew attention to the scene as the old man cried out in pain. “Give it back!” Maria shouted, jerking him and tilting the knife’s edge harder against his skin. He started to cry and beg for help.

“Help! Someone, please!” he wheezed while onlookers came closer toward the incident.

“Maria, have you lost your mind! What are you doing?” Grace demanded, flicking her fan down, “Let the poor man go!”

“Not until he returns it!” she shook him again. He cried again, a bloody knick opening on his neck from the knife.

“Here!” He sobbed, reaching into his pocket and pulling out an ornate coin purse. Small enough that it likely didn’t carry much more than half a dollar, but he held it out to Grace with trembling hands.

“Why, you little thief!” Grace growled, snatching the purse back from him and looking like she was about to kick the man. Maria shoved him down on the wooden deck, his tears and heavy breaths mixing with the dust. He pulled himself up slowly, trying to make a quick get away, but his aging limbs slowing him down. He stumbled away, his labored gasps echoing through the station as he half hobbled half ran toward the exit.

Maria’s dark eyes surveyed the station as he left, everyone looking at her with a sense of apprehension. Grace had a look of what might have been gratitude or impression, but the look on Thomas’ face was that of shock and disgust.

“Why, yes, we are.” Mr. Thames smiled at Grace.

“Then we must find each other later and discuss.” Thomas stated pulling whatever courage he could muster, about himself, before leveling the strongest glare he had towards Mr. Thames.

“We’re all friends here.” The man reminded Thomas, before signaling to Mr. Ides that they were to be off. “We must compare notes when we head towards our next destination.” And then the two men were gone walking away.

“That was brilliant.” Grace complimented Thomas with all the niceties of a caged tiger. She was pissed with him let alone the world. She seemed to look around as she spoke next. “The next time we choose to fight, might as well give them every opening.”

“It matters naught.” Thomas reminded her.

“Yes. Yes.” Grace glared and once the whole of the party had joined itself together once more, Grace gave the orders of what was planned. Before Alaric and Maria could leave, Thomas gave them the food he had held on to, reminding himself to get food before the next trip. For all the confidence he had in the world, all he seemed to muster was the thought that he had made the wrong choice. He should not be out there in the blistering heat, but back in the Northeast. Thomas could almost smell the scent of home — a home that was no longer his. “Thomas.”

“Yes?” Thomas looked to Grace who was easily the most frustrated now than she had been all day. She’d been talking and he’d ignored every single word of her’s. “Let’s get the tickets.”

Grace signaled for Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conley to wait for them to the side, as Grace and Thomas got the tickets for the next train. “Do I need to send you home Thomas?”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“Your mind is adrift, and we can not have that for this task.”

Thomas was not even sure that Grace wanted to find the staff. Yes, her husband had tasked them with it for the US government, but did she really want to find it at all? It would be just as easy to relax and let someone else win. She complained to him about cold feet and how she would not have them backing out as they waited to get the tickets.

Thomas let Grace do all the talking for the ticket booth as well. She did not need him to talk. He was her glorified escort, to stand behind her and get her what she wanted as she did all the talking. Most people would not give her a second thought if he were not backing her, and for a moment he liked the idea of the power, before he reminded himself that it too was dangerous and wrong.

Grace got the train tickets and two spots on the train for Maria and Alaric. Despite the anticipation of terrible accommodation, this train did have actual seated areas for them away from the animals. They would still be able to move between the cars to check on their horses, and Thomas did hope that the conditions were better inn the seated car than the animal one. All he could think of were the cars from back in Louisiana, that were packed to the brim. Would these be like those? And in that case did would the horse’s car not be more comfortable instead?

“Are you going to keep starring off into nothing or assist me?” Grace asked him.

“Assist you with?” He turned his attention to Grace.

“Shopping for supplies.”

Thomas doubted he had much of a choice. The four traveled on their own, drawing the eyes of those who saw them. Grace hung to Thomas’ arm speaking on her plan and what she intended to do. They got a bit of food for the train, after all this one would be nearly a day long trip. Thomas already dreaded the shaky cart and the rocking. They gathered some blankets and furs that Grace wanted to buy to show off more than to own/

When they returned to the station with their wares, Thomas had missed half of Grace’s grand plan to search for the staff.

“I swear Thomas.” Grace snapped, stepping back from him a bit as Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conley properly packed their bags with the items. “Are you listening to me or not?”

“We must attempt to insist that Maria and Alaric are with us for the next train Grace.”

“Whatever for? Their kind do not—“ Grace was interrupted as she was knocked into by an older man, who bowed his hat. Grace shook her had wiping off her dress opening her mouth to speak as a commotion broke out. All at once Maria had kicked the old man down, and had her knife drawn against him. A small thief had taken Grace’s coin purse, and while Grace thanked Maria, Thomas could not help but be horrified.

Maria had taken the man down so quickly. The frail looking old man had not seemed to be the type to steal and the force that Maria had used against him… Thomas wanted to be disgusted in her, and he was for a long moment until more horror continued to dawn on him. What if the man had a knife? Grace could have been bleeding out. What if he had been a bit stronger? Would Maria have been able to catch him? Thomas had been so complacent.

“Yes. At all cost.” Thomas answered Grace’s earlier question. “For protection. It is best that we remain together.”

“Mr. Blake.” Grace was no longer using his name now that Maria, and Alaric in the distance, had arrived once more. “We.”

“We must have it.”

The train whistled for the calling of everyone to board. Thomas gave the tickets to Maria and Alaric. “Hopefully this accommodation should be better than before. You’ll have actual seats and the car should allow for passage to your horses.” He then leveled his eyes against the dirt on Maria’s clothes. “Are you alright?”

She seemed shocked by his question, wiping the dust from her clothes. “Yes. You should be more careful.”

“I will be sure to be.” He then looked to Alaric, uncertain of what to say to the man. Deciding it was best not to talk at all, Thomas bid the others a farewell and made his way to the train with Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conley. The four of them placed their bags into their room, and got seated. Thomas busied himself with a newspaper that Grace had bought him, as she wrote notes in her journal. The two of them started work on making a plan for San Francisco. The time was passed in this manner through dinner, that they ate in the eating car, and deep into the night.

Thomas yawned looking past the lantern to Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conley who were asleep. “We should go to bed, and work later tomorrow.”

“I agree.” Grace massaged her brow, moving her hand towards the lantern when there was a knock at their door. Grace’s hand hesitated at the lantern when the door was burst open by two masked men, who held guns out at them. Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conley were no longer sleeping as the intruders entered their room.

“Who are you?” If Grace was startled, Thomas did not hear it in her voice.

“We have a message for you.” The men’s voices did not sound like Mr. Ides or Mr. Thames. Who they were, Thomas was not certain. As they held the gun towards Mrs. Whitmore’s face. They were aware of who was who at least, enough to know that Mrs. Whitmore was the doctor amongst them. Who were these men? Thomas’ mind was drawing a blank at it all, wondering just exactly what they should do at all. “Go back.”

As he said the words, Grace pushed up the gun in the man’s hand, and as she did the gun went off into the ceiling. Grace moved to defend them when Maria and Alaric were there. The fight that ensued had Thomas grabbing Mrs. Whitmore and Mr. Conley and pulling them to the ground. Thomas did not see much of the fight, but he did hear the sound of the train police headed over. Thomas saw how the two men were subdued. Before the Police could arrive, Grace was in hysterics.

“What is happening here! Why are you two in this car!” One officer said. Thomas was on his feet.

“These men burst into our car, and if it weren’t for our guards we could have been injured previously.” Grace cried. Thomas brushed himself off, looking to the guards who were taking them all in.

“Find out who these men are.” Thomas demanded taking charge, despite knowing that Grace usually would. She was acting on purpose and he was not about to let that acting go to waste. The Police men started to gather the men who had attacked them, all the while Thomas looked between Alaric, Maria, and Grace who were starring at the police with untrusting eyes. Could these policemen be in on it too? “Where is the conductor.”

“Sir there is no need.”

“I demand to speak to the conductor.” Thomas repeated and then spoke to Maria. “¿Podemos confiar en ellos?”

“No.” Maria answered, and Thomas stepped back as the man closest to him lashed out and a scream rang from Mrs. Whitmore. All at once the four men were lashing out at them, this time to injure, Thomas was certain of it. Thomas was thrown back by Alaric, as Grace dove into the room and Maria and Alaric took down their opponents with great force. Grace's eyes narrowed as she pulled out a gun from her bag, and a dress. She ripped the dress up, tossing the strips to Maria so that they may tie up the men. Gun shots rang, more screams erupted from other rooms, and then there was the a whistle from police dashing into the car.

Thomas peered into the hall to see Maria and Alaric tying up the men, with their hands raised to the police who were pointing their weapons at them.

"They are with us. Our guards." Thomas explained. "These men attacked us."

"They should not be in this car." A man stated suspicious towards them all.

"They came to help us, but were not staying here." Thomas looked to Grace again who was crying. She then went onto explain in great detail what had happened, and if captured in a spell, the police faltered and believed her. Thomas then took out their tickets and showed them to the conductor who had arrived. The men were pulled to their feet and dragged away, the officers and conductor ensuring that they'd investigate the matter, and moving their party to a new location to rest for the night.

"Thank you." Thomas said to Maria and Alaric as they were moved to different cars.

"We have a deal." Maria reminded him.

"All the same, you saved our lives." Thomas saw how Maria seemed a bit put off by the sentence, but did not say more.

"Your guards will need to return to their car." The Conductor broke into their conversation.

"Even after the attack on our life?" Thomas glared at the conductor. He seemed off put, trying to find the words to agree but disagree in the same sentence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back