Other Where are my history nerds?

CastoffCaptain

Obsess. Hunt. Manipulate. Repeat.
Just give me all of your history lovin' selves.  Don't care if you like the Anglo-Saxons or prefer the Cold War.  I want to talk some history, whether it's from an archaeological, anthropological, or passing-interest stance. 

1. Do you have a favorite era?

2. Do you question sources or just go with the flow?

3. Do you include off-shoots of history in your research, such as theological studies or linguistics?

4. Creepy.  Creepy stuff. Do you like it? I'm talking plagues, forensics, funerary rites. (oh, don't get me started, 'cause I'll chew the sofa with excitement.)

5. Do you belong to any clubs/organizations/classes such as SCA, Ren Faires, etc?

6. Who's watching Timeless?

From the Great war to the Vietnam war is my specialty. If there's an Era there, i guess i like that one. Lol.

I would like to say i question sources.

3. Do you include off-shoots of history in your research, such as theological studies or linguistics?

Eh, sometimes.

4. Creepy.  Creepy stuff. Do you like it? I'm talking plagues, forensics, funerary rites. (oh, don't get me started, 'cause I'll chew the sofa with excitement.)

I like quite a bit of it. Including Dyatlov Pass.

5. Do you belong to any clubs/organizations/classes such as SCA, Ren Faires, etc?

No.

Not me.

I like quite a bit of it. Including Dyatlov Pass.

Psychic soldiers, I tell ya. Psychic soldiers.

Or... someone with a hell of a haymaker.

Oooh! History friends! Okay, let's see...

A favorite era... I'm mostly interested in Scottish and Irish history, primarily pre-Union, though I go to Independence in the case of Ireland. For the most part, though, I prefer early to late medieval history.

Regarding sources. It depends, honestly. If the author seems legit, lines up with established facts, etc., or is discussing something I know nothing about, I'm not very inclined to argue. It isn't a good thing, but I'm uncomfortable arguing with established authors because I feel like I, as a student, don't really have the authority to say otherwise. If they're really seeming sketchy, however, contradict or ignore well-known facts, or are writing in a climate that encourages heavy bias (I run into this with many Irish histories from the 70's) I'm a little more wary. I'm most inclined to accept primary sources, if only for their unintended message, though obviously they're not always perfect.

I do sometimes chase rabbits, if that's what you mean. Culture and language are especially interesting to me.

Creepy stuff... Ehhh... I suppose I find it a bit interesting in small doses, but in that train-wreck kind of fascination. I'm more or less familiar with some of the gruesome bits of history (sickness and medicine, torture and execution, etc.) but I don't care to dwell on it. I do have a bit of interest in superstitious beliefs and practices.

I'm in my school's History Club and Phi Theta Alpha (I think is the name...). I like going to Ren Faires, but the only local one is rather small.

Is that a show? I don't watch much TV.

Oooh! History friends! Okay, let's see...

A favorite era... I'm mostly interested in Scottish and Irish history, primarily pre-Union, though I go to Independence in the case of Ireland. For the most part, though, I prefer early to late medieval history.

Regarding sources. It depends, honestly. If the author seems legit, lines up with established facts, etc., or is discussing something I know nothing about, I'm not very inclined to argue. It isn't a good thing, but I'm uncomfortable arguing with established authors because I feel like I, as a student, don't really have the authority to say otherwise. If they're really seeming sketchy, however, contradict or ignore well-known facts, or are writing in a climate that encourages heavy bias (I run into this with many Irish histories from the 70's) I'm a little more wary. I'm most inclined to accept primary sources, if only for their unintended message, though obviously they're not always perfect.

I do sometimes chase rabbits, if that's what you mean. Culture and language are especially interesting to me.

Creepy stuff... Ehhh... I suppose I find it a bit interesting in small doses, but in that train-wreck kind of fascination. I'm more or less familiar with some of the gruesome bits of history (sickness and medicine, torture and execution, etc.) but I don't care to dwell on it. I do have a bit of interest in superstitious beliefs and practices.

I'm in my school's History Club and Phi Theta Alpha (I think is the name...). I like going to Ren Faires, but the only local one is rather small.

Is that a show? I don't watch much TV.

It's a show that premiered last night, a time-travel one.  It seems interesting, but I don't think it's going to get out of semi-recent American history, so... poo on that.  Like, the Civil War seems as far back as the plot goes. Suck. Big time.  

Mmmmm. Medieval history. *drools a little*

Ahh, yeah. I occasionally dabble a bit in US history, but not much. Is it bad that I'm more interested in colonial America than after the Revolutionary War? (x

That's really more of a timeline thing, though, it just happens to land at the tail end of most history I'm interested in. I don't care much for the nineteenth century.

Do you have a favorite era? Yes the colonial era.

2. Do you question sources or just go with the flow? I question the sources

3. Do you include off-shoots of history in your research, such as theological studies or linguistics? Just personal intrest no classes/

4. Creepy.  Creepy stuff. Do you like it? I'm talking plagues, forensics, funerary rites. (oh, don't get me started, 'cause I'll chew the sofa with excitement.) YES MY FAVORITE

5. Do you belong to any clubs/organizations/classes such as SCA, Ren Faires, etc? Nope only MUN

6. Who's watching Timeless? NOT me

Yes, indeed, although I think it's way too broad, but still. My favourite would most probably be from the pre-byzantium era, to the late medieval ages.

2. Do you question sources or just go with the flow?.

That depends on what I'm reading, or from where I'm getting said information.

Yes, although not too extensively.

No, I'm more interested in political/social affairs.

[SIZE= 12px]I don't think so.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Definitely no.[/SIZE]

I don't have in-depth knowledge on most of these, just to be clear... It was just a passion pursuit of a side-interest, mostly.

The Three Kingdoms era in Chinese history's definitely my favourite. Large part of that interest was due to the novel "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" - which was based off of historical events (not totally accurate). Admittedly, I never really looked into the actual history past what was depicted in the novel... but it's definitely a point of interest in ancient Chinese history. 

If not these, then I think my favourite era would be the founding of the Han dynasty - right after the short-lived Qin Dynasty. I guess from a historical perspective, the knowledge of events from that period is more true to historical accounts (that I read) than the Three Kingdoms ones (which was fictionalised with a massive bias towards the Shu Kingdom - also the reason why Zhuge Liang was portrayed in super-awesome genius fashion).

I'm not hardcore enough to question the sources and do too much critical thought with these. It was out of simple interest I'm looking... So I keep it simple.

More on the linguistic side. The Chinese language has many idioms (chengyu), most of which were derived from actual historical events. Take for instance, the Three Kingdoms era, the phrase

万事俱备,只欠东风

(literally: ten thousand things prepared, missing only the Eastern wind)

This was from the Battle of the Red Cliffs when the Shu-Wu alliance was preparing their strategy against the massive Wei naval forces. They had set everything up, but they needed the Eastern (or South-eastern... Or maybe the wind from the east, hence West-going... I can't remember exactly). Basically, the last ingredient to their strategy was the wind, hence this idiom. Today, it's used when you're trying to say that everything has been prepared except for one crucial element. By the way, in The Romance of the Three Kingdom, this was where Zhuge Liang set up a massive altar and held an elaborate ritual to "summon the wind". It was really for show - he had already forecast the change in wind direction by means of astrology/astronomy.... As to why... Ask me pls.

OR OR OR. Another phrase from the other favourite era:

破釜沉舟

(literally: breaking the pot and sinking the ship)

Might not literally be a pot... But this was derived from one of the battles between Chu and Han (the two immediate factions after the fall of the Qin dynasty). Here, the lesser Han army, led by general Han Xin (convenient, I know), was facing off against the Chu armies... I cannot recall if it was led by the leader of the Chu Kingdom, Xiang Yu. Either way, in terms of numbers, the Han armies were quite significantly outnumbered. In leading the army to face against their Chu opponents, they had to cross a river. The Han General ordered them to cross, and after that, to smash all their pots and sink the ships they used to cross the river (hence the idiom). With just some days' worth of rations, they fought the Chu army and won. Why and how? In smashing the pot and sinking the ship, the Han General was pretty much cutting off all manner of escape for his own army, so that the only way to survive was to fight. Knowing this, the army then fought with a surprising amount of fervour, managing to win them the battle despite being outnumbered several to one. This was definitely one of the more spectacular battles for the way it was won - and by the way, is not the only spectacular one, this General was famous for several others as well (ASK ME PLS). 

Oh right, the phrase's also used in a similar sense these days to refer to a gambit. Y'know, if say you're rushing an essay and you gave your wallet away to a certain sister without a sense financial conservatism... Just so you could motivate yourself to work as quickly as possible... I suppose this phrase comes in handy. 

Sure, well, whatever, I can't say it's the most fascinating to me or interesting. Unless you count death tolls, epic battles. Did you know the Battle of Red Cliffs during the Three Kingdom period was one of the largest naval battles in history, and also one of the bloodiest in ancient Chinese history with the number of casualties? Or in that Chu-Han contention as well, there was one epic loss by the Han side that was so severe the rivers apparently ran red with the blood. 

None of those. Never was interested in developing that interest beyond the curious trivia knowledge.

Wasn't aware there's this actually. Can't say I've been interested much in English dramas at the moment. Though I might once I get tired of the other dramas. 

Roman, Gallo-Roman, Romans in Britain.  Medieval.  Age of Sail, Victorian, WWI, WWII.

Half and half. I'm by no means an expert, but if someone's quoting Caesar left and right about the Gauls without considering things like negative propaganda, etc, I'm inclined to question their historical researching quality.

I like researching other religions. They're all so tied in to one another; people usually don't understand that we all have borrowed from one another. And language is interesting. And I'm looking to take up archery.

This question explains itself.

No, I'm a lonely little fly.

I watched the first episode. We'll see if it starts to irritate me. It's already irritating me because it seems confined to American history.

Ancient Greece, Ancient Roman, Ancient Egypt, Medieval England, Georgian England, Victorian England, Early America, 1960s/70s/80s/90s America.

Depends, honestly. I double check most facts. 

Culture, religion + etymology are fascinating to me. 

4. Creepy.  Creepy stuff. Do you like it? 

I have a weird thing for researching cults?? And murders. And gods and mythologies and things. 

Nope.

Nope. But in my history class, we recently watched a film set during the Troubles in Ireland and it was so cool. If anybody is interested in that period of history, I could get the name of the movie for you. 

I'm actually really excited, I'm setting out on some new research I haven't really tried before! I'm looking at the 1798 Rebellion in Ireland and how it's depicted and remembered in popular culture, especially for the two centennials, but also in connection with the twentieth and twenty-first centuries as a whole. I'm mostly looking at folk ballads, which is really fun, but also scary because I've never worked with them before and have no idea what I'm doing... But I'm excited! It will be really, really neat!

And then I'm also working on another project also involving different varieties of Irish nationalism (this time in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries), but it's in the more familiar territory of books and speeches.

So yeah, I'm up to my neck in Irish history at the moment, but it's really awesome... (x

I'm actually really excited, I'm setting out on some new research I haven't really tried before! I'm looking at the 1798 Rebellion in Ireland and how it's depicted and remembered in popular culture, especially for the two centennials, but also in connection with the twentieth and twenty-first centuries as a whole. I'm mostly looking at folk ballads, which is really fun, but also scary because I've never worked with them before and have no idea what I'm doing... But I'm excited! It will be really, really neat!

And then I'm also working on another project also involving different varieties of Irish nationalism (this time in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries), but it's in the more familiar territory of books and speeches.

So yeah, I'm up to my neck in Irish history at the moment, but it's really awesome... (x

Check out Edward Rutherfurd for exceptionally-historically-detailed novels re: Irish history.

I just looked him up, I looked at Dublin: Foundation and Ireland: Awakening. They sound very interesting! I'll keep a look out for them. Though, according to WorldCat, the nearest library that holds it is 180 miles away... Least that's better than trying to find collections held in Britain. (x

And they come all the way up through modern history too! The publication date says 2007, does it come into the recent negotiations and such? Do you know how closely it follows historical record?

Really just depends on what I am currently reading about casually,but I tend to gravitate toward times of upheaval and change. World wars, modern era, renaissance, revolutions. :P  

I go with the flow knowing it's an interpretation and most likely biased. I tend to question quotes less as it's a famous person's words and not the author's bias and interpretation.

Quite frankly I would not know what those are if we were talking in person. So no I don't. I don't research much, so much as I like listening and reading about things as they become relevant in my life. Whether it's a recommendation from a friend or a rp interest.

You mean things like torture methods, the french revolution, the bubbonic plague and the last great influenza? You're more likely to catch my interest opening up with these types of topics.

No, not quite sure where I'd find other history nerds honestly.

I just looked him up, I looked at Dublin: Foundation and Ireland: Awakening. They sound very interesting! I'll keep a look out for them. Though, according to WorldCat, the nearest library that holds it is 180 miles away... Least that's better than trying to find collections held in Britain. (x

And they come all the way up through modern history too! The publication date says 2007, does it come into the recent negotiations and such? Do you know how closely it follows historical record?

Yeah, they're just ungodly long.  I've started one of his...uh, what the hell is it? Oh, London. And I've gotten it on Itunes or whatever the hell the phone thing is. I'm too effin' old for this sort of tech.

From what I've been reading, it follows it fairly well, and he lets you know in a preface where he swings away from historical accuracy.  They're novels, so he's taking some liberties, but fairly accurately... at last, I think so far. Kind of like Bernard Cornwell.

Yeah, of course there would be some deviations. It's good that he makes a note of it, though. That helps a lot, especially because popular reading or listening reaches more people and gets deeper in the heart and mind than academic reading usually does. Good to keep the two straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back