what's the best way to rp a trans character

Mini_Quini

Truly a Dank Meme
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I think number one is that they don't call attention to it unless asked.

Honestly, in my opinion, the same way you do any other good character. Focus on their personality first. The reason why Quasimodo in the Hunchback of Notre Dame was loved by the audience was because he was likeable, not because he was beautiful or a cis male or straight or any of that.

I'm not completely sure myself, seeing I rarely RP as a transgender person.
I think research should be done if you're unfamiliar with a transgender person's mind or life.
For example, transgender people say that their the opposite gender - they think that (and hence is like a "brain disorder" in the view of some people) they are the opposite gender from what they were physically born with.
Resources and information are always available on different sites like YouTube. If you know Jazz Jennings (she is on YouTube and TLC), she is a good example of a transgender person, maybe you can learn a thing or two about transgender people in general from her.

I'm not completely sure myself, seeing I seldom RP as a transgender person.
I think research should be done if you're unfamiliar with a transgender person's mind or life.
For example, transgender people say that their the opposite gender - they think that (and hence is like a "brain disorder") they are the opposite gender from what they were physically born with.
Resources and information are always available on different sites like YouTube. If you know Jazz Jennings (she is on YouTube and TLC), she is a good example of a transgender person, maybe you can learn a thing or two about transgender people in general from her.
Honestly, in my opinion, the same way you do any other good character. Focus on their personality first. The reason why Quasimodo in the Hunchback of Notre Dame was loved by the audience was because he was likeable, not because he was beautiful or a cis male or straight or any of that.
starting with some really good advice here guys XD

Rules to live by
-It needn't be obvious, but it's okay if it is. Some transgender people don't pass well, others do. Some are open, some aren't.
-Make sure you've done your research through resources written by actual transgender people
-Make your character a person before all else. They shouldn't be too different than if they were cisgender
And that my friends, is how you write a transgender character. I'll also answer any quesions about specific aspects of it.

Trans person here to answer!

• Always source your research from actual trans people, not cisgender "allies" or medical journals. Nobody knows what it's like better than someone who experiences it firsthand.
  • Trans people come in all races, orientations, religions, abilities, etc. Don't feel obligated to play a skinny white straight trans person if you don't want to.
  • Trans people do not "wish" they were their preferred gender. They are that gender, regardless of anatomy. A trans man (ftm) is a man, a trans woman (mtf) is a woman, regardless of how far they are in their transition.
  • Surgery isn't the only part of gender transition! There's hormone therapy (testosterone or estrogen), voice training, social transition ("coming out", wearing affirming clothes, etc.) And so much more!
  • Reassignment surgery is expensive and invasive, and not all trans people opt to have it.
  • Dysphoria is the term for discomfort caused by having the "wrong" body. Most trans people experience this to some degree.
  • Like others said, trans people are people. While transition is a big deal, we do think about other things, and have normal lives!
  • Don't be afraid to make mistakes and ask questions! Trans people are often very underrepresented in all forms of media, so it's really great that you're interested in writing a trans character!

Chimney Swift Chimney Swift touched on a very important facet of this topic, and it's that trans people aren't "born in the wrong body" or "wish they were the 'opposite' gender". A transwoman is just as much "born a woman" as a ciswoman is, and were you to want to write a transwoman, all you do is write a woman. Any character you write is going to have struggles, and a trans character is no different. You're just paying more attention to the peculiarities of their struggles-- the way they handle dysphoria, the way they approach transition (whether it's with intent to transition or not), or any other trans-specific issues.

I totally get that it's super daunting to write a trans person (and I can guarantee that you're making so many trans people like me happy that you want to!), because it can be a really sensitive subject! But the best piece of advice I can give you as a trans person is that if you approach writing the character by acknowledging that you're cis, that you are probably going to make mistakes, and being willing to listen to constructive criticism and correction, then you'll do a fantastic job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back