What's the best way to hold a RP group together?

Crystalblade

Part-time Jedi Knight
So, I haven't really hosted anything or been rping much in general for a while. But I'd like to plan a fandom RP set in the Avatar universe. My biggest fear here is how do I keep people interested from a long term commitment of consistent roleplaying? And at the same time, how would I enforce my vision for the path I would like the story to follow without alienating the people who have their own ideas? (also, I'm not trying to strong-arm my narrative and make it all about me, just that I prefer a particular style.)

I tend to be a more what I would call a "realism" roleplayer, as in I like to stick to a fiction's universe as closely as possible to feel a sense of immersion. I know not everyone rp's that way and if they don't know that beforehand their interest might dwindle. Is it best to work with a very small group that fits a specific criteria, or am I being too picky and does leaving it more open lead to a more successful RP in the long run? I'm also afraid that in a popular fandom such as Avatar, it will be seen as a dime a dozen and taken less seriously as a result.

Okay well to start there is sadly no magical formula that always works a hundred percent of the time. However here are some tips that might help

If you are most focused on longevity than a smaller group to start with might be best, especially since your just starting out and trying to find your footing as a GM. Now in order to find these people your going to have to be very strict in your vetting process.

You want people that have a strong knowledge of the fandom and are going to be able to keep up with a roleplay longterm. If you want the roleplay to be fast moving than I'd look for people that can meet that.

Also I would HIGHLY encourage your people to talk in the OOC, spit-ball ideas for the plot and just get to know one another. The more friendly they are with each other the more likely they will be to stick with things long term.

As to the roleplay itself - having a overarching plot is fine but I wouldn't be too strict in the steps to getting there. I'd start off with a few "mini missions" to get things rolling then let your players introduce more as the story progresses.

Now I don't know what your story is but thing of the mini missions like the individual episodes in the show.

Yes some move the story along, but others are just fun one offs to give the characters a chance to bond or cut lose. 

Ex. - maybe if the over all plot is a journey have a mini mission where they spend time at a beach resort or they go to find XX specific thing for their journey.

Each mini mission should have a specific Real Life time limit. Ex. We have three weeks in real life to find XX thing for the journey. If we haven't completed the mission in that time - either A the characters move on without it , or we just assume they got it and move on.

Don't be afraid to time skip if your players get stuck. It's better to move the story forward than to get stuck hashing out a specific scene.

I really like the idea of the mini-missions. It certainly fits with the topic I'm considering roleplaying at the moment. Also imposing a time limit is a interesting way of putting the story in the other writers hands while still driving things constantly forward to a goal. It kind of makes me think about how the Avatar series works, and if you've seen it would know that the first season is much more one off focused and more light hearted and gets more narrative heavy as it goes on. Seems like a good method to run a roleplay.

The way that has worked for me is to have the GM run the Roleplay as a Leader but not as the Main Hero.

You want the story of the RP told a certain way then create a character to do so.

However you if you want to maintain your group together, put 10x more effort into other players characters than your own.

Get to know and understand their characters as much as they do, then with your direction and foreknowledge of the plot,

you can setup 'points' where those characters can expand and grow into the RP world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the best method for me to use was being strict in the beginning then stepping back a little and allowing the other players freedom to explore. I have a fantasy based RP that's been going for over a year now (I'm so proud ;^;) and still have the core group I started with. We are a small group of only 6 players in total. While I've had a drop out or two, it was early on and easy to work around. 

Since you want to find players who will stick to the lore, I would suggest not having a first come first served acceptance method with characters and hand pick the ones you think are best. I even used a marking rubric sheet and chose those who ranked highest to make sure I wasn't being biased. The rubric looked at everything from writing style to character background. If you're going to make a character, don't make them the star of the show. Characters used to keep people along the right path or to explain the lore tend to work well. 

As Rae mentioned, keep in contact with them! This is a huge thing that a lot of people tend to overlook. If you never speak, your players may be afraid to try chat to you about ideas they could have. Anything like having to kick someone from the RP can make you seem like a monster even if you felt super bad doing it. I found that Skype groups work really well. It's a great way to chat casually and become friends. It also makes it easier for you to know if anyone is going to have extended absences. 

BHSwRSz.gif

So the short version: Be strict with your character selection. Don't make a spotlight character. Chat to your co-writers. You're all friends so listen to their suggestion but try guide them along the right path. Try to keep your group small. 

That's what's worked for me so far ^-^

I use the 'carrot and stick' approach, also, intense authoritarian undertones.

I'm not very popular lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back