Other What's something you thought to be common knowledge...

Leyara

that was a 6 year hiatus, woops
.. But then someone you meet doesn't have a clue about it?

I feel like this could turn into a silly subject, especially for those who are in/have worked in customer service.

One thing I remember, is when someone had no idea what I was talking about when I said "color hues"
They reacted as if I were speaking a totally different language to them.
:xFgrin:
haha

Feel free to discuss
just stay relatively on topic

That the British Armed Forces doesn't operate Abrams.

And this was to a person claiming to be an expert on subjects involving the military.

I was explaining linear equations and there solutions to a kid who wasn't paying attention.
They thought I was speaking a total different language.

i was showing my mom how to play portal, and she couldn't wrap her mind around looking around with the mouse and moving with wasd at the same time.

I was talking to one of my friends about Marilyn Manson and he said
"I haven't had the chance to listen to any of her songs yet."
I got very annoyed with him and sat there for 5 minutes just telling him over and over again that Marilyn Manson was a guy and Marilyn Monroe is a girl.
I always thought that it was common sense that Marilyn Manson was a guy.

Surprisingly few people know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-pop. Suffice it to say the answer is always 42, for 42 is the answer to the universe :P

Surprisingly few people know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-pop. Suffice it to say the answer is always 42, for 42 is the answer to the universe :P
I use this answer a lot when my teachers ask me what an answer is to a question. Needless to say, they aren't too happy with it, but they asked me for an answer, not the right one so they have no reason to be angry.

American (The word) refers to all of the Americas.

Canadians may speak odd, but French Canadian is NOT French.

Mexicans don't necessarily favor spicy foods, nor should be known for spicy foods.

Lions aren't the king of the jungle, they don't inhabit jungles.

Chewbacca IS A WOOKIEE!

It happens very often to me that I use a word that I think is commonly known and it turns out that no, nobody else in my circle of friends knows it. Last week it was axiom and misanthrope. Come on, guys, these expressions are normal.

That the earth was round.
I was dumbfounded when I met someone IRL who thinks that it is flat. Apparently she has a ton of friends who also think the same. I cannot begin to comprehend the stupidity someone would have to sink to in order to believe that.

omg
people are hilarious Hahahaa

Another one,
someone I worked with a while back, in retail
got mad at me cause I said we had a "couple" of something left
and they thought "couple" meant 4, so they thought we had plenty for the time.
but we ran out
and they're like
"Why did you say we had 4?!"
"I said we had a couple"
"Exactly!"

:xFgrin:;;;;;

I tried to explain the definition of couple, but they insisted I was incorrect...
lmao
I also remember them saying something like, I should have said "few" because that word means "only 2"

hooooo man. Please, person, just specify numbers when you speak < 3

I was dumbfounded when I met someone IRL who thinks that it is flat. Apparently she has a ton of friends who also think the same. I cannot begin to comprehend the stupidity someone would have to sink to in order to believe that.
My roommate was housing someone a while back and they were talking about belief or something. He's Buddhist, so he said so, and she went off on a couple tangents: something about 'of course Asians believe in that' and the fact that Buddhism isn't relevant because it 'doesn't believe in anything'.

Well, when she pressed and said "you have to believe in something," he said "I believe in the big bang theory"

I had the misfortune to walk in right as he said that and she stopped folding laundry to stare at him in horror and say "you don't actually believe in that, do you?"

I thought everyone knew of and had at leas tried chocolate gravy.

It's an oblate spheroid.

I thought it was common knowledge that the number(s) on the corner of nearly every toy package refers to the age for which the toy is for. I.E. 7-14 or 2+
Working in a toy store has corrected that assumption...

Oh and I worked at a store that was literally called "Half Price Books" and someone asked what the price of at least a dozen books before he kinda caught on and asked if everything was half price....

Used to work tech support, had to explain the start button a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back