Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing this is a comfort thing? I have attempted to write trans characters before, but it's hard for me to do them justice without relying on common tropes and stereotypes.

I'm going to step on a lot of toes, but usually if someone is RPing a trans character and is very heavily invested in such things it generally will imply they perceive characterization far different than myself and what I value in characters. This usually extends further outwards to worldbuilding, what I find interesting, and so on.

Now, speaking more to the topic of discussion... I've been in a situation before where, to my surprise, the character I was playing with is suddenly revealed to be trans. I went with it and kept the roleplay moving forward, but my character was clearly not okay with the sudden developments. This bled into OOC and caused more trouble than I'm willing to even entertain as a possibility in the future.

I'm going to step on a lot of toes, but usually if someone is RPing a trans character and is very heavily invested in such things it generally will imply they perceive characterization far different than myself and what I value in characters. This usually extends further outwards to worldbuilding, what I find interesting, and so on.

Now, speaking more to the topic of discussion... I've been in a situation before where, to my surprise, the character I was playing with is suddenly revealed to be trans. I went with it and kept the roleplay moving forward, but my character was clearly not okay with the sudden developments. This bled into OOC and caused more trouble than I'm willing to even entertain as a possibility in the future.
Ah. Yea, like anything else in a RP these things should be communicated beforehand. Some may think that revealing a character to be trans midway through the story is no big deal, but in some settings/plots it can make a difference in how other characters and just the society around them perceives them. That said, I think what you experienced was a lack of communication more than anything else. That can really kill RP's.

I just want
I just want to play a vampire
I want to go “nom nom” and also question my morality
and all of my vampire rps fall through
I am the sad
ah, but it didn't make you ANGRY! This is the "what's making you angry" Rp topic. Lol
The sad Rp topic is two doors down

Is it really that hard to wrap your head around that a player might want to do a hetero m/f pairing with no trans or bisexual pairing? At that point, it's pretty clear you don't care about your partners intents and wants for the RP.

I don't do pairings with trans characters. When people try to shoehorn in a trans character it shows me that they don't really care about what I want.
i'm a bit confused. could you enlighten me on why someone would be opposed to a m/f ship with a bisexual character? they will still be paired against the opposite gender, just like in cishet m/f. and bisexual people are no different from cishet people, they're both just human beings.

and to add a pet peeve of my own, i can't stand it when i have a scenario in my head to write out as a response to my partner but i can't put it into words. or even worse, when i do put it into words and then hate it and spend like 5 hours rewriting it.

i'm a bit confused. could you enlighten me on why someone would be opposed to a m/f ship with a bisexual character? they will still be paired against the opposite gender, just like in cishet m/f. and bisexual people are no different from cishet people, they're both just human beings.

and to add a pet peeve of my own, i can't stand it when i have a scenario in my head to write out as a response to my partner but i can't put it into words. or even worse, when i do put it into words and then hate it and spend like 5 hours rewriting it.

I'll give this a serious response.

You are correct that technically it won't change much. I imagine a lot of people in straight relationships are likely in relationships with bisexuals who will never let it be known they feel that way. The conflict might begin to arise though if that sexuality is revealed or explored in a roleplay depending on the setting, style, or time period being portrayed. So, if I did not want a chance of this conflict arising in my roleplay, then I would not want to play with a bisexual character.

Perhaps I just want to have a roleplay about the majority? For whatever reason that might be... which means a straight male and female.

Another reason, that gets a bit more into dubious territory, is contrary to the belief of many role-players there are people in the RP community that are from cultures and nations that do not conform to Liberal U.S points of view (and other similar sentiments). They have the right to not want to play with characters that conflict with their own personal beliefs just as much as you have the right to find partners that suit your own preferences. Do I agree with these points of view? No. But so long as they are not openly antagonizing and simply express neutrally they do not want these themes it's fine.

Edit: One other point, I will say that why does it matter if your character is bisexual if they are going to be in a relationship with a straight character? What will it effect if one just changes it to straight to fit the relationship more securely? It won't change anything. The same logic can be applied in reverse.

Last edited:
why do straight people need Everything to be about them… be fr 🧑‍🦯 if the character being bisexual has no real effect on the plot ( when they’re still going to be paired with your character of the opposite gender ), why do they have to change it so their character is hetero? weird. seems like you don’t really care about your writing partners either. the idea that a character being bisexual would make their relationship less secure is… yknow… biphobic.

I got kicked from a roleplaying group because, as I quote, "your character is a racist caricature of Southeast Asians"

Me, Southeast Asian: 👁️ 👄 👁️ Do tell

So, I dig in. They eventually give two reasons:
1. I mentioned on the discord that my SEA character will be called Cynthia, a western name
2. The faceclaim I created for her in a dollmaker has light skin despite the dollmaker having options for darker skin

SEA people absolutely have western names, especially if they are christian. Hell, my roommate is called Benedict which is even more aggressively western and christian. Like what the hell? The faceclaim also gets me floored. Not all SEA has dark brown skin. It can be light and more tanned and dollmakers don't support that distinction, so I went for the closest one.

I explained it to them. Some accepted but the mod didn't invite me back in because she doesn't want to apologize or admit she made a mistake. Not like I want to go back with an american on a high ground in control. Tsk.

Something that bothers me, honestly, is when people dm me about an rp idea I had and later on say they don't like the way I write. It kind of hurts my feelings because it's happened so much to me "I don't like the way you write". I try my best, c'mon!

why do straight people need Everything to be about them… be fr 🧑‍🦯 if the character being bisexual has no real effect on the plot ( when they’re still going to be paired with your character of the opposite gender ), why do they have to change it so their character is hetero? weird. seems like you don’t really care about your writing partners either. the idea that a character being bisexual would make their relationship less secure is… yknow… biphobic.

I'm a lesbian. Thanks for (not) noticing. I don't make a show of it and veer towards rationality in my opinions rather than believing my own life is the universal truth.

Usually it's the LGBT crowd making everything about them in any space that is accepting of us (give an inch take the whole fucking mile). Or bisexual posers (who are actually straight) trying to score brownie points. In-fact, nine times out of ten issues arise when someone attempts to shoehorn their modern day, first-world, sensibilities into settings or plots that are not friendly to those ideas.

I've seen the reverse happen too. Don't get me wrong.

But considering you want to just laser focus on little bits of my argument and make sweeping assumptions I'll just be clear.

If someone doesn't want to RP with someone over something as petty as their character being bisexual, even if it would in theory not change a damn thing, that's entirely okay. They don't have to explain themselves to any of us. We have the freedom to choose our RP partners.

When someone tells me what kind of character I should/am going to play, what they look like, how they should act. Uh no, I don't think so. Not going to work.

I’m upset about being tired all the time. I just wanna write, man.

Edit: Just wanted to be loud enough.

Last edited:
historical mfs be like:

JBJzemL.jpg

One peeve of mine is entitled people who think the world revolves around them and they can insert themselves into any space they want regardless of the rules, or general theme. I'm sorry but lesbian-flirtacious-mcgee does not have a place in the royal courts of a medieval RP as much as one wants to impose their own personal fantasies on something trying to be more accurate to form.
To be honest, any and everyone can do what they please when it comes to their characters, the roleplays they want to participate in. It really doesn't matter what setting historical or not if they want to put their characters wherever they see fit it's their business. Same can be said for anyone else. People should stop policing what others want to write and focus on themselves. Would make roleplay a lot better.

To be honest, any and everyone can do what they please when it comes to their characters, the roleplays they want to participate in. It really doesn't matter what setting historical or not if they want to put their characters wherever they see fit it's their business. Same can be said for anyone else. People should stop policing what others want to write and focus on themselves. Would make roleplay a lot better.

See, here is where I agree with you. In peoples own roleplays, they can construct whatever reality they want. If they want a medieval aesthetic, or perhaps even historical medieval times with some major alterations to allow for more representation, then that's fine and I encourage it. My stance is that people wanting a more accurate to form, realistic take on the norms of pre-modern life, should be respected as-well. No one should impose their will upon other peoples wants and desires. If someone does not want to roleplay with a LGBT character, then they are free to. So long as they do not attack the roleplayers then that is perfectly fine.

my pet peeve is when being gay or bi or trans isn't treated as like... a normal morally neutral human trait a character can have? like, yes, that character is different from a straight cis person by definition, like them having any other trait or feature would make them different than them having a different trait or feature. When I've been asked to not play characters of mine that aren't cishet, I haven't heard a single reason for it that isn't a poorly masked homophobia or transphobia.

my rp pet peeve is when people launch into discussions on a vent thread that could very easily be moved to dms 😅

When Roleplaying and setting up plots for people, I try not to be super detailed because I want the finer details to be in the moment- it feels more authentic. I also want my partner to give a piece of what they want in the RP- like a team effort. So when I ask for opinions on a plot and someone just says: "It's good." with no other feedback- I can't help but roll my eyes.

I also write a lot of MxM, MxF MxNB, so when I get a ton of people who only play female talking to me- wanting to RP- I wonder where all the good men and enbys are : (

I also hate it when I tell my partner that my character- in fact- a trans male who is fully transitioned, and they get all mad because I wrote him as just "male" in an interest check. Sorry, but what? The story isn't going to be carried on the fact that my character is trans, so why does it matter? I don't see the problem here, babe.

I guess this applies to this thread. While it’s not an issue with the RP itself- I can’t stand when I’m writing something and randomly lose my train of thought out of NO WHERE.

I just pause and forget what I’m writing. Happens rarely but when it does it’s kinda of annoying ngl lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back