Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to get real tired of the whole "the gm is always right" shit.

I get why people use rules like that, but it feels like nine times out of ten people just use it to get their way without having to provide any proper argument for it.

Last edited:
What's making me angry today? Partners that respond to your interest check making you think they're gonna rp with you, then when you go to PM's to plan it out, they suddenly decide they've lost interest.

Recently? We’re in a pandemic where they or their family members might have contracted a highly contagious disease. Or they might have lost internet connection due to high traffic in their local area. Or they might be out of a job and dealing with that stress.

In short if someone vanishes any time between right now and whenever the depression caused by the global pandemic is done I’m going to just go on a limb and say it was some kind of real life stressed and let it go.

It might not be the case a hundred percent of the time (sometimes people just aren’t compatible) but it makes it a lot less stressful for me to just let it go.

We are in a high stress and high anxiety time of our collective lives. And this site has a high percentage of people with anxiety problems to begin with. So ghosting is only going to get worst in the coming months.

I have already had two partners get ill. I had one partner just drop off without any kind of explanation at all (I’m assuming they also go sick).

So out of the seven people I am talking to right now that is three people negatively effected by the pandemic.

And honestly that’s a good run for me. Usually I lose six out of my seven partners in the course of regular life. That is just down to scheduling or overbooking. But since we are all stuck at home it’s actually a fantastic time to find partners. If one person drops out honestly just hit the search again. You’ll probably find a new partner fairly quickly. We are all quarantined and bored with nothing better to do.

Well said great post

Aggressive people. Look, who do you think are? Do you honestly think that attitude will give you results? Am I supposed to buckle down to write with you because you want to throw a tantrum? Yeah, no.

Aggressive people. Look, who do you think are? Do you honestly think that attitude will give you results? Am I supposed to buckle down to write with you because you want to throw a tantrum? Yeah, no.
THIS. IS. TOO. REAL. i deal with this with half the people i try to rp with

When things conveniently show up. Need this very specific item that you haven't seen for months?

Oh, look, it's in the bottom of this drawer.

Need a vehicle but your character is lawful and refuses to steal one?

Ah, man! Here's an abandoned vehicle conveniently full of gas.

It bugs me. I want to challenge my characters, and when things just fall into their hands, it makes the RP seem unrealistic and I lose interest.

Last edited:
When things conveniently show up. Need this very specific item that you haven't seen for months?

Oh, look, it's in the bottom of this drawer.

Need a vehicle but you're character is lawful and refuses to steal one?

Ah, man! Here's an abandoned vehicle conveniently full of gas.

It bugs me. I want to challenge my characters, and when things just fall into their hands, it makes the RP seem unrealistic and I lose interest.
I agree, the whole point is to create conflict and you can't do that when some Deus ex Machina shows up to fix everything. Like, one of the things I love to do is watch characters figure out creative ways to get through certain problems. It's more fun to watch them MacGyver it rather than be given the keys to the cell.

I get frustrated sometimes when searching for partners (most of the time it's for specific fandoms or fandoms in general) and you reach out to them and you don't even get a courtesy "no thank you" (and I also know that no one is obligated to respond and they are within their right, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating).

It's also extremely frustrating when you are searching for fandom roleplays (and you play BOTH Canon and OC) and you come across threads that HAVE fandoms but they are like "oh yeah no canons, just OCs for this fandom" or they refuse to play fandoms.

IF 👏🏻 YOU 👏🏻 DON'T 👏🏻 WANT 👏🏻 ME 👏🏻 AT👏🏻 MY 👏🏻 CANON 👏🏻 YOU 👏🏻 DON'T👏🏻DESERVE👏🏻 ME 👏🏻 AT 👏🏻MY 👏🏻 OC.

I also think those feelings of frustration can be intensified if you have an ITCH for a specific fandom or rp and it's hard to find. So, when you see someone roleplays a fandom but they have explanations or responses as such (above), it only makes it that much harder to look.

I agree, the whole point is to create conflict and you can't do that when some Deus ex Machina shows up to fix everything. Like, one of the things I love to do is watch characters figure out creative ways to get through certain problems. It's more fun to watch them MacGyver it rather than be given the keys to the cell.

Yes! I don't want to just breeze through a RP. I like to torture my characters sometimes and I want to watch them squirm and struggle. Characters have a hard time developing if they don't face hardship.

Let them travel across the country on foot. Let that wound get infected before you find penicillin. Let the bad gut get a leg up. Sure, it's gonna suck for a minute, but your characters will come out stronger because of it.

Yes! I don't want to just breeze through a RP. I like to torture my characters sometimes and I want to watch them squirm and struggle. Characters have a hard time developing if they don't face hardship.

Let them travel across the country on foot. Let that wound get infected before you find penicillin. Let the bad gut get a leg up. Sure, it's gonna suck for a minute, but your characters will come out stronger because of it.
Right? Like that is the FUN in it for me. Watching them have to struggle to get to the end. I don't understand people who don't want their character to actually work for their happy ending, it just boggles my mind, because you just root for someone more when you see them climb up that cliff to get out of the hole. It is not as good when they are just airlifted out and only get a little dirty.

People that RP for romance purposes. If it happens naturally in the story then ok. However the use of RPN as a medium for flirting and relationships is irritating. Go out and meet people. I tell people that I've never had a character in a relationship and I'm the one who raises eyebrows. I guess.

As a wise man once said

"Why would you say something so controversial and yet so brave"

My phone/thumbs are ready for forum combat.
I once role played with someone who said he had "feelings" for me and he "wrote about me" in his journal. Apparently his baby-mama would "break into" his house and "take whatever" and one day when I messaged him on Skype to say "hey" I basically was threatened in writing and asked "who I was to him" and I was like: OH NO. NO. I AM NOT ABOUT THIS LIFE.

I had to set the record straight. I also think the worst part was I never even knew if it was him PRETENDING to be his supposed "baby-mama" to get sympathy or something. CREEPY.

Right? Like that is the FUN in it for me. Watching them have to struggle to get to the end. I don't understand people who don't want their character to actually work for their happy ending, it just boggles my mind, because you just root for someone more when you see them climb up that cliff to get out of the hole. It is not as good when they are just airlifted out and only get a little dirty.

Exactly! Life isn't easy, and most of us RP for fun, but being handed everything isn't always fun.

I guess I'm just weird and like to struggle and challenge myself. Push past my limits. If you can't bend, you'll break.

Seems to be quite bit of ghosting recently think it has to do with Covid 19

Think Anxiety plays a key role here

Or people getting sick. I think that’s something a lot of people are forgetting. I had my dad tell me someone actually died from his work yesterday. It was definately a sobering reminder this isn’t just about being stressed out at home. People could very well be hospitalized and we would have no way of knowing.

For me I am kinda baffled at so many people still being sticklers for ghosting policies now. Like yo are we supposed to check in with you (general you not you personally) on our way to urgent care? Would (general) you like to be my emergency contact if I suddenly develop symptoms?

Its not like the people on this site are immune. Even teenagers have died of this so it’s not just like “Well 50 year olds aren’t roleplaying so my partners can’t get sick.”

I mean knock on wood that none of my partners get seriously ill. But my first worry now isn’t “How rude Sally ghosted.” It’s “Oh wow I hope Sally is okay.”

That is sad to hear what happen at the workplace

The most important thing is to stay healthy and safe

Stay safe out there everyone

Last edited:
A LOT of stuff irritates me in RPs

About romance :
- People who ONLY care about romance no matter what the RP is about. I mean sure, romance matters. But I'll be damned if romance ever becomes the center of the plot if the RP is about post-apocalyptic zombies slowly gaining sentience.
- People who use RPs as means to get laid, whether physically or through their characters. 1) RPN isn't a dating site and 2) it's not because you are frustrated IRL that your character has to be a stud/thot whose only goal is to get the girl or the boy. That's just stressing for everyone because it makes people believe that you only care about sex.
- People who give to their characters orientations that they as people don't understand or only partially. It's not because you're "gay-friendly" that you understand how gay people think.
- Hypocrites who make their characters gay/bi for the sole purpose of getting some romance. No, the goal of the RP isn't to give you some steamy yuri/yaoi. And that's fucking unsensitive
- People who scream "this character has a crush" at the first sign of emotional connection. No, you crazed lovejunkie, this can just mean that they are becoming friends. True love takes time.
- People who take romance as "they like the same things so they MUST love each other". No. It doesn't matter if your character and mine like the same artists, if yours killed mine's parents they ain't gonna fall in love. Though this can be interesting IN CHARACTER. But OOC it's a pain.

About making characters :
- People who join RPs... and never do anything. They don't read the posts, they don't make characters... OK then. Why did you come.
- People who make characters that openly defy character creation rules and then complain that the rules are too strict or must be changed to fit the concept of the character. No sweetie; you need to think and realize that your character is beyond the acceptable boundaries and must be changed to accomodate the rules. Not the other way around.
- People who create characters with the purpose of abusing the creation rules and using the character in RP. Okay, but 1) did you think about the other players and 2) if I wanted a playtester I'd have asked for one. Though if there are still loopholes after playtesting then there is an issue with the rules.
- People who create purposefully underpowered characters "so they can shine when the world needs them". OK. I like the idea. An underdog, that's called. But do you seriously believe that a sane DM would allow a weak as hell character to pull off shit he couldn't even dream of in normal times, let alone when a crisis is at hand ?
- People who give their characters abilities on the fly and say "oh yes it's their hidden power". OK. I like the idea. Hidden power, it's cool and can be awesome. But if the DM doesn't know about it then it's called making shit up on the fly and it doesn't stand with me.
- People who make stupid characters whose sole purpose is murderhoboing around, but FOR SOME REASON give them good looks. It's not because your murderlord got a colgate smile that it'll make the people like him more. And people who even get the idea of making characters for the sole purpose of murderhoboing.
- People who make fucking aces and try to justify it by "But they're destined to do great things". Dear, you don't know your tropes enough. The paragon always falls. A-L-W-A-Y-S
- Characters that are cripplingly overspecialized. Sure, you can create that character that runs at the speed of thought. But the instant he starts running, make another character, cuz the first has spontaneously turned to ash because of friction.
- Jack Off All My Trades. Characters who can do ANYTHING and it's justified by some bullshit that doesn't even make sense. Like sure, your character can be a genius and know lots of things. That one gets a pass. But the player who tries to sell me that their character can heal a stomach wound by putting fucking ash into the wound and justifies it by "inherent medical knowledge" gets my boot to the ass. Or characters whose powers are specifically made to counteract any inherent weakness they might have. I get it, you're making a character with extreme timidity. No, you can't have their power be an aura of courage.
- In LGBTQ+ friendly RPs, people whose first reaction when a sheet comes up is to check the character's sex/gender/orientation. You sir are an asshole. Ties with romance above.

About character interaction :
- People that believe that romance = yesman. That's a great plot device when IN CHARACTER. If you believe that OOC then you're in the wrong place to RP.
- People that believe that because their character is a leader gives them the right to boss around other players OOC. Again, separate the RP from reality.
- People who limit their IC interactions to trying to force romance. See above.
- All kinds of abuse. Nuff said. That shit gets out of my sight immediately. Sure, I can understand that it can be used as plot device. Sure, you may use that as plot device. I'm watching closely. Very closely. The slightest hint of you toying around with that stuff and you get the banhammer. Serious matters be used seriously.

About RPs in general, I've got only one thing to say. People who put ridiculously draconian restrictions on entering their RPs for no damn reason, or stupid ass post requirements. Jet Jet knows what I'm referring to.

I've recently been having problems when it comes to people who require a faceclaim. I just don't really feel comfortable using images in the first place. I also do not want to spend my time searching for an image for my character when I could just write down a detailed textual description of what they look like. I get that some people prefer using faceclaims, but it really frustrates me at times when I see a roleplay I'd really love to join, but they say something like: "Nope. You have to use a faceclaim. It's not negotiable." I've missed out on some pretty good roleplays by this factor alone. Granted, I don't have this problem in every roleplay I try to join, but it's something that's happened to me in at least one of every three group roleplays I've tried to join.

Also, people who just "have" to use formatted text for their replies. I get they want their posts to look pretty, but when their decorations makes it noticeably harder for me to read the post and reply, that's where it becomes a problem. I recently had a roleplay where we had a great plot, and honestly, they were one of the most detailed roleplayers I had played with, offering nice and long literate posts. But what happened? They used a coded format that made it considerably harder for me to read and reply to their post. I don't mind coded text as long as they do not make my life harder by making it harder for me to see what the other person posted. This wasn't the case though. They refused to stop using that coded format, so I suggested that if they wanted to still post the coded format, they could maybe at least post a non-coded version of the post along with it? But they refused too. Apparently it was too much work for that person, but they didn't care about how much more work they were giving me with that coded format. In the end we stopped the roleplay right after the first reply.

Oh yes, on the topic of coded formats, there was once this great group roleplay I wanted to join because they had a great concept. One big problem though. The GM wanted us all to use a specific coded format for our character sheets. While the coded format didn't look bad, I no next to nothing about coding, at least how it works here. So I asked the GM if I could just make my character sheet with the exact same content he had in his template, but without the coding. The GM refused, telling me it was obligatory. I get that people like their posts to look nice, but why do I have to be forced to use that format when I don't even know coding? Am I expected to learn how the code works just to join the roleplay? Nope, sorry, but I don't feel like learning to use the coding just to join one roleplay, when I could just go and join other roleplays that aren't forcing me into using a template. It was a shame really, the concept really interested me a lot. But no, I just can't work with that.

Oh, and one last thing: I was once planning a roleplay with someone. Everything was good so far, except that we couldn't decide on some aspects of the plots. We were both discussing on how we could find a way both of us could be happy with the roleplay. However, at one point this person got angry at me when I suggested something that didn't fit with their particular interests, so they started to brag about how they had a million pages worth of roleplays, that they knew how to make a roleplay and implying that I was in the wrong for not doing things the way they wanted. Ok, I tried my best to be nice, I compromised on several aspects of the roleplay, but they didn't want to compromise on a single thing. And now this person starts telling me how they have a million pages worth of roleplays, and that they're an expert roleplayer. I'm not exactly sure what they intended with saying that, but in my opinion it just made that person seem really arrogant in my opinion. If you don't like my ideas, that's fine, you don't have to like them, but it's not necessary to start bragging about how much you've roleplayed and how you're the ultimate roleplayer. For me it doesn't matter if you're a beginner or the most experienced roleplayer there is, what matters is that we find something that works for both of us, and that when we disagree we are willing to solve the problems together by talking through it. I've had much more rewarding experiences playing with a couple of beginners who wrote one-liners, because at least they were a lot easier to plot with. I'm sorry, but in my opinion someone who is easier to brainstorm with and doesn't start bragging about their achievements is someone I'd rather roleplay with than someone who is an expert roleplayer but is very hard to brainstorm with, and brings up their achievements and experience when they get angry during a brainstorming discussion.

Phew... that got longer than I expected. But yeah, those are the experiences I've had that got me frustrated recently. Luckily these have been just a few isolated cases. Most of my roleplaying experiences have been really rewarding in fact! It's only these few cases that really got me upset. But for the most part I can say I've been really happy with the roleplays I've had and the people I've roleplayed with.

It's also extremely frustrating when you are searching for fandom roleplays (and you play BOTH Canon and OC) and you come across threads that HAVE fandoms but they are like "oh yeah no canons, just OCs for this fandom" or they refuse to play fandoms.

IF 👏🏻 YOU 👏🏻 DON'T 👏🏻 WANT 👏🏻 ME 👏🏻 AT👏🏻 MY 👏🏻 CANON 👏🏻 YOU 👏🏻 DON'T👏🏻DESERVE👏🏻 ME 👏🏻 AT 👏🏻MY 👏🏻 OC.
Some people are bad at RPing canons and/or would rather explore other possible stories within the same setting.

Some people are bad at RPing canons and/or would rather explore other possible stories within the same setting.
Oh I don't doubt that, but no one will put that out in their threads (naturally, they wouldn't and it's absolutely understandable). It's still just a little frustrating for people who ARE looking to roleplay canon in those universes and can't.

Not particularly fond of someone dictating what my character should look like aka oh, you can only use this type of photo, art, etc. When I see request threads that state I must use a certain photo, if any, for my character I instantly move on. I go with the setting of the roleplay when picking out a picture but having that option taken away from me gets on my bad side. Like calm down, you worry about your character I will worry about mine.

Not particularly fond of someone dictating what my character should look like aka oh, you can only use this type of photo, art, etc. When I see request threads that state I must use a certain photo, if any, for my character I instantly move on. I go with the setting of the roleplay when picking out a picture but having that option taken away from me gets on my bad side. Like calm down, you worry about your character I will worry about mine.

Th-this... This is a thing?!

WHY?!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO CONTROL WHAT ANOTHER'S CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE!? 😱

Th-this... This is a thing?!

WHY?!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO CONTROL WHAT ANOTHER'S CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE!? 😱
Some thinks it's stealing, some don't like it at all, others might just not like the CSer and has a bias to others. I have a friend that didn't let me use a pic of George Takei to add comedy to an RP, without explanation. They probably did it because using real people can feel wrong or "ruin the rep" but most are actors. I don't think Leonard Nimoy would of gave a shit if I made evil Spock be a evil guy.

FYI, the creepy version Mister Rogers type George in a fallout game running around in a red sweatervest providing comedic relief without looking like a dunce, sudden surprise sequences like randomly appearing from the rubble, and going on night raids with other players to kill NPCs in their sleep with a combat knife, going "Oh my", in a not 100% legit fallout game, based on perks like wild wasteland like in new Vegas, would of been the best thing to happen to that RP.

I prefer accessibility. You reject me on a picture then if I do join, I refuse taking it seriously. Even my jokes can become serious characters dynamically too. Save the shenanigan crap for the people that deserve it. [Potential OP characters, etc if they come around.] People can have a legit reason, but the action usually always leaves the RP with a miniscule playerbase than it should have. This can kill it quite quickly. I believe that's also what happened, some dudes probably lost interest, or anyone with a real passion for it to keep it alive if they joined, probably saw that and got discouraged.

Kazami42 Kazami42 I-I mean, I suppose when you put it that way, it sort of makes sense...

But honestly, you make a VERY GOOD POINT! I'd be more concerned about powers being OP, personality not being flushed out, posting schedules/regularly (I suspect I have a rather unpopular opinion on those, so I'd rather not delve into it, but I hope we can both agree it's still more important than a faceclaim in an RP! Good heavens!) and what have you...

Also, honestly! The way you use faceclaims?

Sure, alright, it would take a veteran and competent writer to pull it off the way you do, I'm sure, but to AUTOMATICALLY LIMIT THAT? Not even giving anyone a chance?

How does anyone NOT SEE that hurts their cause to gather more players for their RP?

That's like saying someone HAS TO HAVE A CERTAIN POSTING STYLE or something!

Also that: Not only do the severe restrictions make it hard to take the RP seriously, but good luck keeping INTEREST IN such a limiting RP! :xFeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back