what they make vs what they have

orionstark1482

i was looking through Outcaste and i was thinking about what artifacts are the realm and 7th legion capable of actually making on their own. if lookshy built Skywolf then they can probably build dragon armor and warstriders as well.

Yes, but at what cost?

Look at the description of what building Skywolf did to Lookshy's artifact production and maintenance rollout...

Common warstriders probably aren't too problematical, depending on how strictly one adheres to the 3-dot limit.

Yes, but at what cost?
 Look at the description of what building Skywolf did to Lookshy's artifact production and maintenance rollout...

Common warstriders probably aren't too problematical, depending on how strictly one adheres to the 3-dot limit.
what about power armor?

'Not on a regular basis' is what I got from the description of Lookshy's capabilities. The production of new suits of dragon armor would likely stunt their ability to maintain their Essence weaponry, building of regular artifacts, and so on.

Now, if Lookshy was minded to go a-conquering and eventually challenging the Realm, I can see them channelling a significant amount of their resources into improving their stocks of materiél for combat against another First-Age capable force. But to maintain the security of the River Province, repairing the dragon armor already in use should be more than sufficient.

that would be a great campaign. a first age factory cathedral is uncovered in mint condition. capable of vastly increasing the number of 1st age and shogunate artifacts that the 7th legion could build. the realm would want it. as would MOW. and any solar in the area too.

There are so many ways to approach it, too--preventing the info from getting out, acquiring the info, defending the FC, acquiring the FC, providing the info to another faction so that they would try for the FC (then pouncing on whichever group is weakened most by the attempt) and so much more.

There are so many ways to approach it' date=' too--preventing the info from getting out, acquiring the info, defending the FC, acquiring the FC, providing the info to another faction so that they would try for the FC (then pouncing on whichever group is weakened most by the attempt) and so much more.[/quote']
so first you have to figure out who found it. then the different forces all want it. are their negotiations first? where does the battle take place? ect ect ect. and most fun of all is what do they find inside the FC in storage?

This little shin dig happened in my Age of Air campaign, huge, and I mean HUGE FC was found. Lead to the eventual Realm Civil War in my game.

The co-STs in my epic Solars game deemed us uncovering a mint-condition FC too disruptive to the plot--we'd spent too many of our resources defending and holding it.

So, what did they come up with? We borrowed Leviathan's.  8)

Lol, well...my PCs Houses held it. It was more of a background point and plot of contention. Damned thing must have changed hands at least five times during the war.

orionstark1482 said:
cool
i hope the artifact book is good. i feel it is something they didn't do justice in 1st ed.
 1st Ed was all about the Age of Sorrows; sure, we had occasional flashbacks to the so-called good old days, but everything was written to the here-and-now--where artifacts are magical and shiny, instead of being taken mostly for granted.

Wonder if the writers will eventually assent to the shiny-toys contingent and release enough stuff to make a First Age campaign feasible without a great deal of extra writing by a ST...

It was rumored they were going to do it for First Edition, but never got to it. Who knows? They may release a First Age book divided into sections "The Time Before Time, High First Age and the Usurpation/Shogunate" section. That would be friggin' sweet.

Well they basically hinted at the possiblity in the dragonblooded book with the multigenerational series. sadly they never gave us the tools to do it without a shitload of work.

Yeah, I hope, really hope, some day they will. But I'm not so sure. I'm more than content with what we all have now though. As long as those nice Terrestrial Direction and Celestial Direction books come out soon x.x I must have them. Especially the Malfeas one. I think that one will be a lot of fun.

orionstark1482 said:
if lookshy built Skywolf then they can probably build dragon armor and warstriders as well.
This doesn't necessarily follow from a plot (as opposed to rules) perspective. Sometimes, it's easier to build big. For example, our world has many nuclear powered ships, but no nuclear powered cars.

wordman said:
For example, our world has many nuclear powered ships, but no nuclear powered cars.
This isn't necessarily a limitation imposed by technology. There's been plenty of historical suppression of electric consumer vehicles by Big Oil. That, and I'm not sure that the public would be comfy with thousands of potential radioactive bombs whipping around on the highways. They'd also be ridiculously expensive.

From a technical perspective, however, they're probably quite possible, or nearly so.

-S

Stillborn said:
wordman said:
For example, our world has many nuclear powered ships, but no nuclear powered cars.
This isn't necessarily a limitation imposed by technology. There's been plenty of historical suppression of electric consumer vehicles by Big Oil. That, and I'm not sure that the public would be comfy with thousands of potential radioactive bombs whipping around on the highways. They'd also be ridiculously expensive.

From a technical perspective, however, they're probably quite possible, or nearly so.

their were experiments as to minimizing the size of a fission reactor. the process was put on a back burner after Chernoble and people saw how dangerous it was.

i recall reading an exerpt from the artifact book coming out that said the main difference between 1st age tech and 2nd age tech is 2nd age they try for more simplistic "essence goes in, magic goes out" aproaches where as in the 1st age artifacts were complex with moving parts and such.

i don't know if this was intended in 1st ed as well.

-S

It was, Mnemon was usually curious about that and somewhat frustrated in A:E. It pissed her off to no end that they could hardly remake most of what they had. Reverse engineering was SOMETIMES successful, but some of the 'Anathema's' toys were a bit much for them. They can build Manses, warstriders and what not, but they really can't make the warships, the flying citadels, the airships (in large scale mind you, the 2nd Ed Realm clearly has an air fleet but I'm not sure to what scale) or the really complex things.

They are, for the most part, have t orely more and more on less complex things, you cite Outcastes for this, yes Lookshy CAN make a Skywolf. But they'll never risk the fucking thing, it's waste of resources in my book. They can barely maintain their ships as is. They're all beat to hell and gone. The only thing they can really count on are their Essence cannons, which again it states they have to rely more and more on those than normal weapons.

Because they can make them easier and their cheaper and easier to maintain. Lookshy's losing it's edge as it wears on. Unless of course, you take the one idea it gives and give them almost total output with their factory cathedral, then they can really go to town with artifacts.

The realm has 23 manta class vessels but never uses them, lookshy has about 100 and uses them to ferry around equipment and troops.

The skywolf is a kireeki class skyreme and can theoretically still be built by dragon blooded but even lookshy took 28 years as we all know and ahem... the realm is not even close in production capacity because the great houses argue too much with each other. actually in the high first age the kireeki was phased out of duty because it was outdated, but the shogunate reactivated them 'cause they were easier to maintain without solar help. can't see the DBs are not crafty buggers :)

Even before the Empress disappeared, the Realm was not known for any massive works of artifice--could it be that the Realm could hide their projects better than Lookshy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back