Science What superpower would you find obsolete in the modern era?

Gaius Danius Griinia

Apparently Infamous
Personally, I find basic level mind reading useless
80-90% of people post their every thought on the internet anyway
If it were Professor X levels of Mind Reading then I would just find that horrible
I'd have to hear a bunch of weird thoughts from like every other person I come across

What power do you find redundant in todays era?

Flight. We already can with planes, skydiving, etc.

All the thrill is already gone.

Invisibility, especially if the government figured out you could become invisible. They could just walk in with heat sig's and blast you.

Invisibility: You can't see shit. Bending light around you means it isn't reflecting off your eyes, thus you're blind.

Invisibility: You can't see shit. Bending light around you means it isn't reflecting off your eyes, thus you're blind.
You're right, but technically invisibility would be letting light pass through the object completely, not bending it. If it bends there is a distortion effect, thus it wouldn't be invisible

Eh, I just assume that any required secondary powers would be included.
Well you are the King of Wishful Thinking
However even IF you had the adaptability to survive flying in the sky
You would be killed by SOMETHING eventually
If one guy has flight
He'll rub it in EVERYONES faces
Whether its the government, flight companies, terrorists or jealous friends
Somones gonna shoot you

Well you are the King of Wishful Thinking
Plus I don't see the point of applying real world logic to discussions like these.

He'll rub it in EVERYONES faces
Whether its the government, flight companies, terrorists or jealous friends
Somones gonna shoot you
A) Not necessarily. B) That still doesn't make flight obsolete, so I don't really see your point.

That, plus I don't see the point of applying real world logic to discussions like these.
Cos its fun?

A) Not necessarily. B) That still doesn't make flight obsolete, so I don't really see your point.
Its a case where you don't get to enjoy it nor will it have much use for you because either A: You're dead or B: People try to find a way to either benefit or get rid of you

Its a case where you don't get to enjoy it nor will it have much use for you because either A: You're dead or B: People try to find a way to either benefit or get rid of you
Even if we assumed that would be the case, can't that be applied literally every other superpower as well?

Right but the how is the same every time namely "people can get ride of/benefit from you"
There are exceptions
Like squirting money from your eyes or abilities that generate currency
Those may benefit someone in the short term
However they eventually dick over the economy
So if another platypus attacks you
Does their venom work on you?
Or are all platypeople immune to platypus venom?

If it were Professor X levels of Mind Reading then I would just find that horrible
I'd have to hear a bunch of weird thoughts from like every other person I come across

If anything is say mind reading is more powerful than ever! Almost all valuables and useful information is now universally accessible with a string of characters or numbers, so that's a huge deal to be able to access little bits of information.

I'd probably say things like flight are less useful. The skies are too busy to be flying too high in!

I couldn't disagree more. My social skills are minimal at best and being able to read peoples minds to better know how to read them would be a great help. I've often thought it would be the most useful power I could get. Having minimal social media presence (I'm most active on this site and only have Facebook to get my sister to stop nagging at me) their internet postings are lost to me. If I was more socially adept then perhaps things would be different.

As for the worst, I'd have to agree with invisibility. Even if it followed some BS logic that allowed you to still see and turn your cloths invisible with you, there are other ways to track you. And even if you're never in a position where someone with that technology is looking for you, what's the best you can make from it (as a presumably moderately moral person)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back