• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy What Secrets Lie Ahead? | Fantasy Interest Check

foyiwae

Whimsical, dear, your lies are clear.
Roleplay Type(s)
- Story -

Yah.png

The structure is ancient and unusual. It is obvious that those who made it were skilled, these past giants. They were rumoured to be deadly, snatching those who dared be careless. But it didn’t matter, it was important to risk the dangers due to what was at stake. Families, friends, and the future of their people.

So, the great chieftains sent the first explorers in to check out this grand, abandoned structure. First, scale the wall that surrounds the perimeter. It took months to climb, setting up wooden platforms, when possible, to offer a haven, a point of rest. Some stayed there, and others moved further, climbed higher, and pushed beyond. To more safety, hope, and security.

The descent of the wall wasn’t as bad, if you didn’t count the large flying creatures that attempted to dive and steal an unsuspecting traveller, carrying them off somewhere to be consumed.
But still, even though many fell, they continued. On the other side of the wall, is a dense jungle. Thick with strange plants and curiosities that no one could have imagined. Some scholars who travelled with the groups speculated that these were statues of those who came before, the giants that used to reside in these ruins.

Some explorers took to staying in the jungle, finding an old structure that used to have been lived in at some point, and setting up their camp.
But others pushed on, the draw of this ancient ruin, what secrets lay in store? Some couldn’t resist the pull of the giants, what they did, and who they were.

The largest group finally reached the fortification three months after the wall had been scaled. More were lost, and some died of ailments never known before. But finally, finally. They could see what was inside...

And what secrets would they find?

-----------------------------------------

-Information-

Screenshot 2024-04-20 152758.png

Hello everyone! My name is Foyi, and this is my first Nation Building roleplay. But I think the premise is one that some folks may be interested in. We shall find out with this interest check.

This 'ancient' structure referred to in the story is an old Victorian manor house, left abandoned by the previous owners. With wallpaper peeling and furniture in ruins, it makes the perfect setting for new nations to be built, by little folk!
I'm taking inspiration from a few sources, The Secret Life of Arrietty, the Borrowers, Epic Movie etc.. where little folk live alongside/hide from big folk.

We're working on a small scale, so even a room like a bathroom can have two or three nations, depending on how we want to play this.

My biggest inspiration is the TTRPG Household. While I don't expect you to be familiar with the whole TTRPG you can find the source/races that I am keen to use. Just because you choose a group/race doesn't mean you have to be limited to just them. Household has its own little folk lore but we won't be using that, and creating our own. But keys as swords, mice as horses, there is a whole lot of creativity to be had from playing small! Also magic and religion are definitely something we can work with too!

Each player will be playing as the leader of a nation of little people, do you want to have just faeries or just boggarts? Or maybe a mixed group? The choice is yours.

You'll see by the introduction, there are other locations, primarily 'the jungle' (the garden) with the 'mysterious structure' (the shed), or the garden wall that surrounds the manor house. Depending on the interest I get I'll also post a rough diagram of the house so you can get an idea.

-Rules-

Screenshot 2024-04-20 152844.png

1. No power gaming. There will be a limit to what you can do per turn. There will also be dice to allow some form of control. We're going to be starting a century after the discovery of the house and the grand trek from wall to hall. So a little bit of time to have some development that has happened.
  2. PVP is enabled, you can go to war, make alliances, everything you want. As long as there's no bullying or picking on specific people for the sake of it.
  3. And standard RPN rules. Be friendly, and eager to interact with each other. It's a roleplay! We're here to play together.
  4. I'm the GM, so what I say goes. That may sound like ah 'oh I'm the boss of you' but I've been a D&D dungeon master for a very long time, and my longest current group has been running 8 years now. My favourite thing is getting people to interact with each other, but I'm also not afraid to say no. Let's be reasonable and have a good time. If you work with me, we'll have a lot of fun. If you try and push me on every turn and every decision, then we're going to have disagreements and I will have to remove you.

End

Screenshot 2024-04-20 152914.png
Thanks for reading, if you have any questions or anything I'll try and answer. It's my first attempt at something like this but it has been rotating in my head for a while. It will also be beneficial to have a discord for OOC/plotting discussion.

All art is from the beautiful Household book. Even if you don't care for this, please go read the book to admire the art, it's beautiful!

The structure is ancient and unusual. It is obvious that those who made it were skilled, these past giants. They were rumoured to be deadly, snatching those who dared be careless. But it didn’t matter, it was important to risk the dangers due to what was at stake. Families, friends, and the future of their people.

So, the great chieftains sent the first explorers in to check out this grand, abandoned structure. First, scale the wall that surrounds the perimeter. It took months to climb, setting up wooden platforms, when possible, to offer a haven, a point of rest. Some stayed there, and others moved further, climbed higher, and pushed beyond. To more safety, hope, and security.

The descent of the wall wasn’t as bad, if you didn’t count the large flying creatures that attempted to dive and steal an unsuspecting traveller, carrying them off somewhere to be consumed.
But still, even though many fell, they continued. On the other side of the wall, is a dense jungle. Thick with strange plants and curiosities that no one could have imagined. Some scholars who travelled with the groups speculated that these were statues of those who came before, the giants that used to reside in these ruins.

Some explorers took to staying in the jungle, finding an old structure that used to have been lived in at some point, and setting up their camp.
But others pushed on, the draw of this ancient ruin, what secrets lay in store? Some couldn’t resist the pull of the giants, what they did, and who they were.

The largest group finally reached the fortification three months after the wall had been scaled. More were lost, and some died of ailments never known before. But finally, finally. They could see what was inside...

And what secrets would they find?

-Information-

View attachment 1158666

Hello everyone! My name is Foyi, and this is my first Nation Building roleplay. But I think the premise is one that some folks may be interested in. We shall find out with this interest check.

This 'ancient' structure referred to in the story is an old Victorian manor house, left abandoned by the previous owners. With wallpaper peeling and furniture in ruins, it makes the perfect setting for new nations to be built, by little folk!
I'm taking inspiration from a few sources, The Secret Life of Arrietty, the Borrowers, Epic Movie etc.. where little folk live alongside/hide from big folk.

We're working on a small scale, so even a room like a bathroom can have two or three nations, depending on how we want to play this.

My biggest inspiration is the TTRPG Household. While I don't expect you to be familiar with the whole TTRPG you can find the source/races that I am keen to use. Just because you choose a group/race doesn't mean you have to be limited to just them. Household has its own little folk lore but we won't be using that, and creating our own. But keys as swords, mice as horses, there is a whole lot of creativity to be had from playing small! Also magic and religion are definitely something we can work with too!

Each player will be playing as the leader of a nation of little people, do you want to have just faeries or just boggarts? Or maybe a mixed group? The choice is yours.

You'll see by the introduction, there are other locations, primarily 'the jungle' (the garden) with the 'mysterious structure' (the shed), or the garden wall that surrounds the manor house. Depending on the interest I get I'll also post a rough diagram of the house so you can get an idea.

-Rules-

View attachment 1158667

1. No power gaming. There will be a limit to what you can do per turn. There will also be dice to allow some form of control. We're going to be starting a century after the discovery of the house and the grand trek from wall to hall. So a little bit of time to have some development that has happened.
  2. PVP is enabled, you can go to war, make alliances, everything you want. As long as there's no bullying or picking on specific people for the sake of it.
  3. And standard RPN rules. Be friendly, and eager to interact with each other. It's a roleplay! We're here to play together.
  4. I'm the GM, so what I say goes. That may sound like ah 'oh I'm the boss of you' but I've been a D&D dungeon master for a very long time, and my longest current group has been running 8 years now. My favourite thing is getting people to interact with each other, but I'm also not afraid to say no. Let's be reasonable and have a good time. If you work with me, we'll have a lot of fun. If you try and push me on every turn and every decision, then we're going to have disagreements and I will have to remove you.

End

View attachment 1158668
Thanks for reading, if you have any questions or anything I'll try and answer. It's my first attempt at something like this but it has been rotating in my head for a while. It will also be beneficial to have a discord for OOC/plotting discussion.

All art is from the beautiful Household book. Even if you don't care for this, please go read the book to admire the art, it's beautiful!

Hey mate, we have a little community of players that are all involved in a variety of nation builders. It tends to use RPN for posting and then Discord for roleplaying player events. Most involve dice for things like battles and interactions with NPCs so has more gameplay mechanics than typical RPs. If you're interested I could invite you so you could take a look around and see if you could take any inspiration, maybe even join in?

As for your RP, are there mechanics for combat etc or is the intention to be entirely freeform?

Hey mate, we have a little community of players that are all involved in a variety of nation builders. It tends to use RPN for posting and then Discord for roleplaying player events. Most involve dice for things like battles and interactions with NPCs so has more gameplay mechanics than typical RPs. If you're interested I could invite you so you could take a look around and see if you could take any inspiration, maybe even join in?

As for your RP, are there mechanics for combat etc or is the intention to be entirely freeform?

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I'll consider it.

I do plan on using mechanics yes, but I want to wait and see the interest level before committing.

Getting some Indian in the Cupboard vibes which is neat, I am interested.

Welcome to RPNation Nationbuilders! You'll likely see many of the same faces if ya stick around so hopefully you like us.

I’m new to nation-building, but I’d love to join you. The idea of small people carving out a new home for themselves is very charming! Can't wait to see what adventures they get up to, haha.

Hi everyone, thank you for your interest. I'll get basic rules and stuff set up this morning and create a discord 😊

Getting some Indian in the Cupboard vibes which is neat, I am interested.

Welcome to RPNation Nationbuilders! You'll likely see many of the same faces if ya stick around so hopefully you like us.
Side note, I saw this message and skimmed past in the moment, but while I was re-reading the forum I had a wavy childhood flashback about my dad reading this to me. So maybe this is where my joy originated from. Thank you for this ❤️

Ok besides the point. Thank you everyone for your response and interest. I plan to keep this going for a while, and (while RPN was down) I made a discord and wrote a small lore document. I'll have to really flesh it out later but for those that have responded (or will respond, this is still open. There are plenty of spots!) I will send you the discord invite to join in.

My replies may be slow for a little while, I also run D&D on Sundays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back