TV & Film What scene from a show or movie made you go "....wtf?"

02lovecat

So, when watching a show or movie, have you ever had a moment where what you're watching does a complete 180 of it's usual setup/genre/etc that caught you off guard?

One of these happened to me yesterday. I was watching an older anime targeted at children-teens(?) which was in a language that I couldn't understand, but it's the only version of the show found so far, so I had to put up with it. Now, you might be wondering, what possibly out of a children's tv show caught you off guard? Especially in one that throws random plots at you because the characters are in outer space and can go to a myriad of planets?

Screenshot_20200108-200014_1.png

Some backstory: So from what I could gather from this episode, the character pictured here named Plantman ends up getting in a fight with some of their friends after they all land on a planet, because on of the friends (a lion) is hungry since there's nothing in their fridge, and tried eating him because he imagined him to be food. So Plantman finds this shady dude who's been contacted by the main villain of the show, and shady dude gives him these... beans? So Plantman goes back to the ship and is like, "look guys, I brought food! :D" and his friends get mad at him again because that won't last them long at all (or at least I assume that's why they're mad at him). So Plantman gets angry and throws the glass bottle holding the beans onto the ground, and it shatters. He storms off, but steps on one of the beans. So night falls, everyone goes to sleep, and the next day Plantman wakes up, only to look over at the ship and find that a beanstalk has grown and pulled the ship way off the ground, trapping his friends inside and holding them hostage using the vines. So Plantman gets in their car and drives for a while, eventually going to shady guy's lab. Somehow shady guy convinces Plantman to put on this pink helmet, which mind controls him. Well, turns out, the helmet gives him this dead-eyed stare as he chases his friends around with an axe, trying to kill and eat them.

Screenshot_20200108-200024_1.png
Screenshot_20200108-200102_1_1.png

So! Has anyone else had something in a tv show or movie make you wonder wtf is going on?

is it okay if I put the entirety of rise of skywalker or is that too controversial shkdhdjd

is it okay if I put the entirety of rise of skywalker or is that too controversial shkdhdjd
I was actually thinking pretty much the same thing. I have never been completely satisfied, not satisfied at all, and very much confused at the same time.

uuuh...

Well, just watch, really.

I really don't think I need to describe why this made me go WTF - I don't complain, though, I rarely laugh that hard at something.
For culture's sake, though, it's important to remember this:

Japan is a country of extremes. Here, they're essentially just making a trope subversion: "So, we're making a comedy scene about this upperclassman saving his classmates from criminals. What if HE was the biggest criminal?" Which is perfectly fine, but it just so happens that they decided to do this in an over the top way for comedic effect. Honestly, that's it.
It's weird, but certainly not as weird, from their perspective, as many of the stunts Bugs Bunny pulls for... basically the same exact reasons XD Took me a while to accept and understand that.

Example!

A classic, but if you think about it with no context, WTF just happened and why is everyone a human but not the bunny

In Inazuma Eleven: Orion, there was a team that Inazuma Japan had to go against and there was this ONE player (I believed that it was the Captain) that has like the weirdest personality shifts like around midmatch or something but it was like REALLY weird. Easily the most What The- moment I had seen ever.

I went to theaters to see the movie 'Hereditary' (2018) with my family thinking it would be really scary. It wasn't. It was just weird.

When the mom went crazy and was in the corner of the room in the darkness, then, as the boy is about to look in her direction, she 'float climbs' out the room. The whole theater busted into laughter it was so weird and tacky.

The ending. It was so bizarre. I got what was going on, but the presentation of it and the slow camera pan just made me think..."what the?" Again. Weird.

The entirety of the Dutch film, Borgman (2013) got me here. Granted, it was very creepy which I always appreciate. The scene that takes the cake for me is where the male character was stripped down to his underwear and was squatting just above a female character's crotch area for some reason? I looked around and that was how he manipulates dreams but even still...wtf?

Goodnight Mommy also had that scene where the boys just let a beetle or cockroach crawl into the sleeping mother's mouth. Excellent film overall for me but that particular scene did make me go wtf when I saw it.

Last edited:
I do not wish to spark anything, but upon inspection, the throne room conflict in The Last Jedi. It looked good from afar, not so much when you actually look at it.

I do not wish to spark anything, but upon inspection, the throne room conflict in The Last Jedi. It looked good from afar, not so much when you actually look at it.

Oh yea, that fight scene is really more humorous than anything else once you really pay attention to what the guards are doing.

Dracula

I mean,
here I was, enjoying the victorian (or whatever) setting then boom. Modern day. I was like, eh. But i kept watching. Then for some reason Dracula decides to listen to this lady and commit suicide??? What the heeeecccck

The second season finale of Hannibal.

They spent the entirety of two seasons setting up all these beautifully nuanced characters and Hannibal offs the lot of them. I sat in complete silence after that episode wondering where the fuck they were going to take the show after that.

I don't have the best auditory processing, so any scene without closed captions shot next to a road, or in a crowd, or Anywhere With Background Noise becomes a fun little game of, "Did he just say olive juice? Olives? Why's he taking her hand? Oh. Oh, got it. 'I love you,' right, context clues."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back